(Topic ID: 31302)

Demolition Man Owners Club.... Members Only!

By Rascal_H

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,161 posts
  • 437 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Phoerber
  • Topic is favorited by 158 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240624_171353 (resized).jpg
dm3 (resized).jpg
dm2 (resized).jpg
DM1 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6993693_1 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6993693_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_1908 (resized).jpeg
playfield damage (resized).jpeg
IMG_1909 (resized).png
62F8DB72-4B4A-494A-931F-093C1D65BB8E (resized).jpeg
12CC94E8-90A3-44B3-A302-B7BB37BE054B (resized).jpeg
AED72B84-2928-4DB2-BE3A-B0796AFEC1CA (resized).jpeg
20240410_204723 (resized).jpg
20240410_204743 (resized).jpg
56ceff4d-5c01-4faf-9720-5f161deb476aphoto (resized).jpeg
2356D138-72FA-46FA-94AD-436C05E2ADA2 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,161 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 64.
#2901 11 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

Sharing some shell Day/Night comparison pics and a video where you can see the topper lighting in action. I still have not adjusted the lighting yet and the LED under the car is starting to peel but you can get an idea of how it looks.
Video is 4K but the LEDs do a good job of messing with the auto focus. The lights are much clearer in person.
It is the first topper I've ever made. It isn't perfect but I'm pretty happy with how it came out

[quoted image][quoted image]

Looking great!

#2902 11 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Anyone know why the circled pin would be removed on the connector below? It's for the connector to the door matrix control board. I've been going through this machine, trying to reverse the poorly done mods and fix the handful of(probably related) issues and noticed this. At first I thought it was broken, but it looks to be desoldered. The machine came with a color dmd, but I can't find anything in the instructions that says to remove it.
[quoted image]

yes there should be a pin there...probably got stuck in the ribbon cable connector at some point...did you check there to see if its there? If you have to replace the header, get the type that encapsulate the connector.

#2903 11 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

yes there should be a pin there...probably got stuck in the ribbon cable connector at some point...did you check there to see if its there? If you have to replace the header, get the type that encapsulate the connector.

Yep. The pin and a piece of the black plastic are mia. I'm alnost positive it was desoldered and removed for some reason. The pad on the back is completely clean. No signs of breaking. There wasn't a lot of rhyme or reason with the "mods" on this machine, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional.

To put in perspective the level of wtf with this machine, the positive wire from the off-board battery holder was soldered with the insulation still on the wire, causing factory settings to reset everytime the machine boots up.

1 week later
#2904 11 months ago

Hi all - I’m in!
Really enjoying it so far.

IMG_2979 (resized).jpegIMG_2979 (resized).jpeg
#2905 11 months ago
Quoted from Silkenone:

Hi all - I’m in!
Really enjoying it so far.
[quoted image]

Looking amazing! I love to see custom work and people pouring the love into these very special machines.

#2906 11 months ago

One of the things I'd like to try and resolve now that I have added a shaker motor is to eliminate/reduce the glass vibrations. I did pay attention to the shaker motor orientation during installation and I put it the recommended way but there is still considerable rattle during times when the motor is doing a lot.

I was thinking of some ideas starting with trying to use rubber strips on the edges of the glass but it will just make it difficult/impossible to install/remove the glass without ripping out the rubber strip.

Next I thought of using some felt strips with adhesive. I figured I could put them on each side of the glass where they would be hidden inside the channel and since it is polyester felt, it should slide fairly well and easy to replace if needed. I may need to trim these but I was thinking that I might not necessarily need a strip down the entire side of the glass and that staggering these might be enough. There is limited space so I think I could probably only put the strips on either the top or the bottom of the glass. I think the bottom is where it would be making the most noise.

Anyone have experience with this? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance all.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2907 11 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

One of the things I'd like to try and resolve now that I have added a shaker motor is to eliminate/reduce the glass vibrations. I did pay attention to the shaker motor orientation during installation and I put it the recommended way but there is still considerable rattle during times when the motor is doing a lot.

I was thinking of some ideas starting with trying to use rubber strips on the edges of the glass but it will just make it difficult/impossible to install/remove the glass without ripping out the rubber strip.

Next I thought of using some felt strips with adhesive. I figured I could put them on each side of the glass where they would be hidden inside the channel and since it is polyester felt, it should slide fairly well and easy to replace if needed. I may need to trim these but I was thinking that I might not necessarily need a strip down the entire side of the glass and that staggering these might be enough. There is limited space so I think I could probably only put the strips on either the top or the bottom of the glass. I think the bottom is where it would be making the most noise.

[quoted image]

I religiously use this on all my games to help reduce glass chatter against the guides and rails. Works wonderfully.

#2908 11 months ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

I religiously use this on all my games to help reduce glass chatter against the guides and rails. Works wonderfully.

Noice! Do you apply the adhesive side to the glass or do you wedge it into the channel? I figured it would be easier to apply to the glass and might stick better vs the wood. Bottom side only?

#2909 11 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

[quoted image]

Pinball Life sells anti-rattle tape that you run along the edges of the glass. Worked really well on my Game of Thones that rattled like hell. Made it pretty snug though, took a little extra effort to take the glass out & in.

https://www.pinballlife.com/anti-rattle-tape-12-x-25-ft.html

#2910 11 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

Noice! Do you apply the adhesive side to the glass or do you wedge it into the channel? I figured it would be easier to apply to the glass and might stick better vs the wood. Bottom side only?

I apply it to the cab side.. Less chance of it falling off when removing glass.

#2911 11 months ago

Anyone have any interest in this for 20 bucks or so? It's the red led version. There's a chip on the bottom by the post that you can't see when it's in the game.

20230730_135750 (resized).jpg20230730_135750 (resized).jpg
#2912 11 months ago

sent you a PM

#2913 11 months ago

I just installed the widebody invisiglass from JJP on my DM... holy crap what a difference. You can't even tell the glass is there. The entire game's reflections are virtually gone and the lighting actually looks different (like eyeglass anti-reflection). It also removed the reflections from my custom topper that were distracting (my primary motivator). I was going to try and take pictures but I'm not sure if they will do it justice. It is a little pricey TBH but since you spend most of the time looking at the playfield, it is sort of justified in a way as a visual improvement.

2 weeks later
#2914 10 months ago

I also wanted to mention (just a happy customer here) that the JJP glass was also thicker and fits a bit more snug and I no longer get any glass rattle with the shaker motor. I did not have to use the felt at all. Surprise bonus.

Added 10 months ago:

EDIT: At full rumble there is a little glass noise. I may still try the felt.

#2915 10 months ago

Switched the rings and posts over to the Titan blues. Only thing left to do now is color code the lights accordingly.
Red pill or the Blue pill?
PDC04016 (resized).JPGPDC04016 (resized).JPGPDC04017 (resized).JPGPDC04017 (resized).JPGPDC04018 (resized).JPGPDC04018 (resized).JPGPDC04021 (resized).JPGPDC04021 (resized).JPG

#2916 10 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

Switched the rings and posts over to the Titan blues. Only thing left to do now is color code the lights accordingly.
Red pill or the Blue pill?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking really nice and clean!

#2917 10 months ago
1 week later
#2918 10 months ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

I appreciate all the work you’ve done on this as I have also spent over 100 hours redoing a few games myself, so I know how tedious it is and how much effort it requires to get it playable for release. I’m also working on a DM pack myself, although I’m not using any of the movies music.

You should make a video doing a play through showcasing the sounds and music you have added.. Would be great for advertising on Pinsounds website where you can have it for download.
Here are a few of mine:

Thanks again for the inspiration. Your videos are awesome and showcase some awesome work!

Super late but better than never - New gameplay video posted with direct audio capture from the PinSound board.

#2919 10 months ago

So I finally watched the movie. I’m not a very harsh critic usually, but that was really terrible. Even by the 80s-90s action film standards.

However the game is awesome and I love to play it. And I only use the handles, as it should be.

#2920 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So I finally watched the movie. I’m not a very harsh critic usually, but that was really terrible. Even by the 80s-90s action film standards.
However the game is awesome and I love to play it. And I only use the handles, as it should be.

The movie is pure 90s shlock. Fun if your glasses have enough rose tint.

#2921 10 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

The movie is pure 90s shlock. Fun if your glasses have enough rose tint.

The movie was unbelievably badass AAA

#2922 10 months ago

All really relative to your expectations and how serious your critical opinion can be. It is indeed an early 90's movie so judgement should honestly factor that time period (these kinds of action movies were common at the time). There is an amazing symphony behind the sound track (ofc in the movie). There's an impressive roster of A list actors. There is arguably some great humor spread across the entire movie. There is actually some amazing acting from the entire cast. This movie is said to be one of Wesley's best work. The sound and special effects are great. There is a ton of action and it keeps you engaged. Fun fact, many predictions in the movie came true.

The story is weak and some of the plot twists are a bit far fetched. I don't think the story was the focus anyway as it was about pure action back then and there was plenty of it (before CGI). The movie cannot be taken seriously. The writing is not the strength.

IMO the movie is under-rated (just like the pin). It is just not supposed to be what some may expect it to be. It is an interesting idea and a take on the future 30 years ago. It is a cheap give me action movie with some unique charm and personality. Arguably another Die Hard distant cousin with a similar formula. I will say that the more I watched the movie (working on the sound pack racked up some views) the more I actually liked it.

7.9/10

#2923 10 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

All really relative to your expectations and how serious your critical opinion can be. It is indeed an early 90's movie so judgement should honestly factor that time period (these kinds of action movies were common at the time). There is an amazing symphony behind the sound track (ofc in the movie). There's an impressive roster of A list actors. There is arguably some great humor spread across the entire movie. There is actually some amazing acting from the entire cast. This movie is said to be one of Wesley's best work. The sound and special effects are great. There is a ton of action and it keeps you engaged. Fun fact, many predictions in the movie came true.

The story is weak and some of the plot twists are a bit far fetched. I don't think the story was the focus anyway as it was about pure action back then and there was plenty of it (before CGI). The movie cannot be taken seriously. The writing is not the strength.

IMO the movie is under-rated (just like the pin). It is just not supposed to be what some may expect it to be. It is an interesting idea and a take on the future 30 years ago. It is a cheap give me action movie with some unique charm and personality. Arguably another Die Hard distant cousin with a similar formula. I will say that the more I watched the movie (working on the sound pack racked up some views) the more I actually liked it.

7.9/10

All fair points. I have it more like a 5/10. But it was fairly fun.

#2924 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

All fair points. I have it more like a 5/10. But it was fairly fun.

Just dont get a Congo machine and watch the movie, you would probably suffer a stroke.

#2925 10 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Just dont get a Congo machine and watch the movie, you would probably suffer a stroke.

Yeah that’s a fun game too. But a bad movie doesn’t make me dislike a game at all.

#2926 9 months ago

Got my led board kit in today to dim my leds during multiball and demolition time start ups.
High quality kit with good instructions.

received_6298669926926217 (resized).jpegreceived_6298669926926217 (resized).jpeg
#2927 9 months ago

I would like to see a video when installed. I have to say I am curious (and a little confused lol)

#2928 9 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

I would like to see a video when installed. I have to say I am curious (and a little confused lol)

If you change out your GI bulbs with led bulbs you lose the dimming effect at the start of multiball and demolition time which sucks when you are used to that dramatic effect.
This board will bring that dimming effect back to your led lights.

#2929 9 months ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

If you change out your GI bulbs with led bulbs you lose the dimming effect at the start of multiball and demolition time which sucks when you are used to that dramatic effect.
This board will bring that dimming effect back to your led lights.

I C
Have a link?

#2930 9 months ago

Torn on my demo man Laithan!

Love it, but don't think it's a keeper in my small collection. Game is meant to be played and in busy places. It's pure action.

Thinking a roadshow is a similar close by relative that would be more friendly in my home.

I'm a novice. Don't want to mess w demo man in any way, it works great and I don't trust myself... ugh, what to do?

Love it w the color dmd. Pinsound prob not worth it for me.in this game, as I don't like the movie. This game hold many similarities to judge dredd in same line? (I wouldn't have two of this, T2 or demo man in same collection, would all look the same)!

#2932 9 months ago

I installed the OCD led board. I forgot how often the gi gets dimmed or turned off during game play.

Game changer having it back again.

If you have leds in your game and not this board you are really missing out.

#2933 9 months ago

I went this far with mine.. I guess I can't stop now lol. Sounds interesting, after you mentioned something I did look at some old videos before LEDs were put in most and I didn't realize those effects went missing.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2934 9 months ago

My machine had this board installed when I bought it. It works well. If you have LEDs and don't have the LED board, you're missing out on a good light show when you complete the multi balls and hit demolition time.

#2935 9 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

My machine had this board installed when I bought it. It works well. If you have LEDs and don't have the LED board, you're missing out on a good light show when you complete the multi balls and hit demolition time.

Yeah I am excited to get it now. My DM is so heavily modded lol.. I already had to add a supplemental power supply... hope there's room for one more haha

#2936 9 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

The gi's pulsate during acmag mode also.

#2937 9 months ago

There are lots of beautiful Demo Man pins in this forum, but I have just put mine back together and am in need of a cryo claw/elevator expert.

They didn't work before I got it. The previous owner disabled the Cryo Claw as it didn't work.

The claw moves left and right in test no problem, the magnet works in test no problem, it's the elevator that is real sluggish then just stops and an error appears on the display.

The elevator has been stripped and rebuilt and works fine on a separate power supply using the EMI board. Moves freely from 5VDC to 12VDC although the gearbox is noisy it will move fine when powered either way, like power to the negative tab of the motor.

I put my meter on the motor and see 5VDC slowly drop to 0.69 where it stops.

What I don't understand is that I thought the motor worked off 12VDC and isn't fed that directly, but pulsed.

Can anyone please chime in and offer me some solution maybe and/or advice?

The opto works fine.

#2938 9 months ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

The gi's pulsate during acmag mode also.

Yah depending on the brand of leds it can pulse. Mine did it in sync with the opening of fortress multiball and at the demotime mode. Although it pulsed i know it was not the fade effect intended and i always wanted an ocd board but didnt love the game enough.

U can see here at the 1:30 mark, it pulses pretty quick and the camera picks up about 1/2 of the effect.

#2939 9 months ago

Wait, are you saying that this pulsing is supposed to be actually dimming and this board restores the dimming? The video above does not have the board installed right?

#2940 9 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

Wait, are you saying that this pulsing is supposed to be actually dimming and this board restores the dimming? The video above does not have the board installed right?

Thats right. The pulsing is supposed to be dimmed out gi.

In demolition time, quadrants of the pf dim up and down at different times and should look really sweet. I personally have never seen it done with leds but have seen the effect when normal bulbs are used for gi.

#2941 9 months ago

My kit just came in the mail. Not sure if I will get to it this weekend but I'm going to try. Excited to see the difference.

#2942 9 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

My kit just came in the mail. Not sure if I will get to it this weekend but I'm going to try. Excited to see the difference.

Be honest

#2943 9 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

I'm a huge fan of the way the OCD boards make LED's look. I think you will love the effect.

#2944 9 months ago

Hello. Looking for a used subway plastic underplayfiled ramp if anyone has an extra. Thanks in advance!

#2945 9 months ago

I failed to get to it... sigh. I did open the package and noticed the install was a little bit more than I anticipated so it will have to be this weekend. #dadlife lol

#2946 9 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

I failed to get to it... sigh. I did open the package and noticed the install was a little bit more than I anticipated so it will have to be this weekend. #dadlife lol

It looks worse than it is.

#2947 9 months ago

Using OCD-boards (Afterglow or LedOCD) has become a must for me.
The combination of bright, even LEDs with proper fading is way better than the pulsing and "hard" on/off without these boards.
I'm now using it on all my WPC/sys11/DE/Sega games.

#2948 9 months ago

I have a spare elevator mech...PM me if interested in it.

#2949 9 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Using OCD-boards (Afterglow or LedOCD) has become a must for me.
The combination of bright, even LEDs with proper fading is way better than the pulsing and "hard" on/off without these boards.
I'm now using it on all my WPC/sys11/DE/Sega games.

Why am I just learning of this in 2023! lmao Very glad it was mentioned! TY

I have to be honest, when I switched to LEDs around 6 or 7 years ago I didn't know the game well enough to notice that anything had been lost. I was too fixated on the nice bright colors I think . Now that I know of it I am able to notice but I never actually noticed on my own (mind little blown). Hindsight certainly is 20/20.

#2950 9 months ago
Quoted from Laithan:

Why am I just learning of this in 2023! lmao Very glad it was mentioned! TY
I have to be honest, when I switched to LEDs around 6 or 7 years ago I didn't know the game well enough to notice that anything had been lost. I was too fixated on the nice bright colors I think . Now that I know of it I am able to notice but I never actually noticed on my own (mind little blown). Hindsight certainly is 20/20.

Post a video in action once you get it installed I’m curious if it’s worth a 200 bucks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 72.95
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Oakland, ME
$ 81.95
There are 3,161 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.