(Topic ID: 31302)

Demolition Man Owners Club.... Members Only!

By Rascal_H

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,126 posts
  • 432 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by mad_carl
  • Topic is favorited by 158 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

62F8DB72-4B4A-494A-931F-093C1D65BB8E (resized).jpeg
12CC94E8-90A3-44B3-A302-B7BB37BE054B (resized).jpeg
AED72B84-2928-4DB2-BE3A-B0796AFEC1CA (resized).jpeg
20240410_204723 (resized).jpg
20240410_204743 (resized).jpg
56ceff4d-5c01-4faf-9720-5f161deb476aphoto (resized).jpeg
2356D138-72FA-46FA-94AD-436C05E2ADA2 (resized).jpeg
7D8EB296-FE7D-4F2E-9238-A589531F162A (resized).jpeg
F3CD35BC-7D5A-439C-8769-A9774DCDA35E (resized).jpeg
29B7FE43-EFF6-4245-88E5-A0D1A3EB6E71 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240405_075425_Chrome (resized).jpg
20240328_124242 (resized).jpg
20240328_124229_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_0541 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0683 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0546 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zigzagzag.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1681 4 years ago

Hi,

I've just started renovation on my Demolition man pinball.
It seems almost all inserts are damaged - basically the layer over the insert plastics themselves has been worn away.

I've tried searching for a insert decal set, but there doesn't seem to be any available.
The only thing I've found is a overlay for the multiball area at https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/demolition-man/9678/multiball-overlay-for-demolition-man?c=2802

Does anyone know where/if I can get a set for the rest of them ?

5 months later
#1789 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Where do these go? Support for wireforms?
[quoted image]

Looks like something from the coin door.

#1792 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Thank you, zigzagzag, fellow Norwegian!
If you ever visit Oslo please give me a message so you can come visit out private location.

Will do - let me know if you are in Stavanger anytime

1 year later
#2132 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

When I got my DM it had 4 balls installed, sticker with number of balls was gone.
I noticed in the manual it should have 5... So i put in a fifth one but it now launches 2 balls at every new ball .
Already added a WPC ball through protection plastic.
Suggestions?

Check the ball through opto and its connectors, that's where such problems often stem from.

3 months later
#2275 2 years ago
Quoted from GraniteStatePin:

This big clear post was in my "post kit" I bought...anybody know where this goes or if it's used? Didn't see one during my tear down. thanks
[quoted image]

Probably on the door in the backbox (the one that holds the lamps there).

2 months later
#2440 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Looking for this one unbroken that is. Jajaja. Also don’t wanna pay EBay price…Geezzz…
[quoted image]

This one ? https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/demolition-man/3968/plastic-for-demolition-man-31-1919-2?c=0
See this thread for group orders : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballcenter-parts-needed

1 week later
#2475 1 year ago
Quoted from epichoff:

Need help. My demoman left lower flipper doesn’t stay up when the button is pressed. It flickers up and down a few times and then drops. Any advice would be appreciated as I am new to this hobby. Thanks

I had this on the upper left flipper. Turned out to be a broken pin on the ribbon cable connector on the fliptronics board.

2 weeks later
#2517 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Having a problem with back vik, it's not detecting the ball. Seems like the optos are not working even after a cleaning. In switch test they don't do anything. The weird part is the coil fires several times when you turn on the game. Any ideas? Should I just replace the optos? Computer vuk optos are working.

The coil firing indicates that the machine believes there's a ball in the VUK. This is probably because the optos are not working/not connected and therefore register as a closed switch (actually open since it's an opto, but anyways ...).

I have had problems with the connector from the opto to the wire harness. Try wiggling the connector while in switch test.
If that makes the switch go on/off, you can either clean the connector with some isopropanol or repin the connector.

2 weeks later
#2553 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Hi just did reflow on every soldered pin on RC side... no effect.
How to test LM339 (suppose these are the comparators you're talking about ?) and how to test phototransistors ?

Have you tried flexing the connectors on the opto through board when in switch test ?
If you find that this changes the state of the switches, then I would suggest changing the connector on the cable in addition to reflowing the connector on the boards.
This is a known weak spot for these machines (and other with the same opto through).
The connectors are IDC connectors where the cables come loose with vibration. Not always easy to detect with the bare eye.

#2562 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

It's getting more complicated.
Took boards out of sttng (checkecd everything first overthere and all fine)
Transmitter board from DM in STTNG : ok results in switch test, so that one is ok (put it back in DM)
Then I took the recevier board from STTNG and put it in DM with (original TX board on the other side)
Same result as before for trough 3 and 5.
What cable colors are controlling these ?[quoted image]

Try this :
Take *both* boards out of DM and put in STTNG.
Check that all switches work, check wiggling connectors - if all is fine, then you know both boards work.
If both boards work I would suggest new connectors and repinning of both connectors in you DM.

#2566 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Test on CPU board ok : pin 207-3 to all throughs reporting right switches in test menu
Continuity between small opto board and big one ok.
Continuity between opto and J209 cables (on connnectors at side of IDC push in clips) : all ok
and as you can see now Trough one joined the party as well !
Hmm... more ideas ?[quoted image]

Did you measure continuity on top of the IDC connectors - or on the opto PCB itself ?

#2568 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

yes on top of the connector, metal clip where cable is pushed in.
Don't think I understand 'on opto pcb' ? You mean leave connector only 90% pushed in on pcb and than measure the still a bit accessable pins under connector ?

For example - or with the connector 100% in and measure the solder points under the PCB.

#2570 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

ok just did that on solder points for white orange/brown/green and there was connectivity till connectot J209 pin 1/3/5
So i suppose connector on opto pcb is ok...?
Other small one on Tx pcb is also ok, getting 15V in on that one and LED's on

Well, if you're sure all connectors are good, the switch matrix works when you test it directly on the MPU board and both boards work in STTNG I'm not sure what might cause this.
I had a TZ clock where I had to increase the current through one of the LEDs to make it brighter or the switch would be erratic.

You say you have tried the RX board from STTNG in DM - but have you tried both boards from STTNG in DM at the same time ?

#2571 1 year ago

rvermeire Just to make sure :

Is this picture *with* balls in the through or *without* balls in the through ?

Optos are opposite from normal switches.
They show "switch closed" when there is no obstruction (i.e. no ball) and "switch open" when the light from emitter to receiver is stopped (i.e. ball in through).
So if you have all balls in the through here, it seems to me it is switch 2 and 4 that are not working.

07ec2077e476a74b891a2cc47a8ec0165b3e32cb (resized).jpg07ec2077e476a74b891a2cc47a8ec0165b3e32cb (resized).jpg

5 months later
#2686 1 year ago
Quoted from GraniteStatePin:

Still need one
[quoted image]

I had this 3d-printed at JLCPCB : https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/demolition-man-pinball-long-bridge
They didn't have any silver printing options at the time, so I had it printed in black.
The blue inserts you can probably use any blue color gel for lighting.

1 month later
#2727 1 year ago
Quoted from Santis:

Does anyone knows what’s the red car model. (I know is a matcbox) Thank you

ebay.com link: itm

3 months later
#2820 1 year ago

FYI : Here you can compare the quality of Pinballcenter plastics to the original.
I choose to keep the battered originals except where missing.
If anyone has a genuine set for sale I'm interested.

20230417_175305 (resized).jpg20230417_175305 (resized).jpg20230417_183011 (resized).jpg20230417_183011 (resized).jpg20230417_183856 (resized).jpg20230417_183856 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#2833 11 months ago

I recently bought what I thought was a partial NOS set of plastics.
When they arrived, one of them was different from the others.
The colors were off and the orange/black border was printed on top of the plastics - not underneath.
I contacted the seller and they told me this :

>They are 100% NOS plastics provided by WMS as an "easy break set" to operators. They were sourced from by the late Greg Berry at Chicago Expo early >2000's. These are the last two sets out of a dozen we have sold.

Would anyone be able to confirm that this is the case - did Williams make plastics with print on top and non-matching colors?

2023-05-08 18.55.37 (resized).jpg2023-05-08 18.55.37 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#2947 7 months ago

Using OCD-boards (Afterglow or LedOCD) has become a must for me.
The combination of bright, even LEDs with proper fading is way better than the pulsing and "hard" on/off without these boards.
I'm now using it on all my WPC/sys11/DE/Sega games.

#2953 7 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Do you have a link? I think I tried these on Centaur without much success. However, there was 2 options and I probably selected the wrong one.

I'm not aware of any LED-fading-boards that will work with a early Bally pinball like Centaur.

#2955 7 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

But what’s the link for Demolition Man?

LedOCD : https://www.ledocd.com/
Afterglow : contact stumblor here on Pinside, he has had some pre-assembled kits for sale before.

2 months later
#2983 4 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hi all, having in issue with getting my machine booting. It was working and I switched the roms to the new curse roms but put one in backwards. And had issues the rom heated up etc. Tried to switch back to the original roms, no dice. Got a new set of the curse roms and cpu chip, no dice. Reseated cables just now and some leds light but no boot or dmd display. Do you think the sound card is fried or what should I check next? I included a pic of latest attempted boot.
[quoted image]

Does the game boot if you start it with the grey ribbon cable disconnected from the sound board? (Don't disconnect with power on, turn power off first)
If it boots then, do you get a "dong" sound on boot?

#2985 4 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Nope, same status as above with just the red leds showing. Could it be an issue with cpu chip then?

Try disconnecting all cables from the CPU except for the power cables - normal (not flat) grey and black cables coming from the driver board (with the power off).
When you switch on the game, does one of the 3 leds in the top left corner of the CPU board start and keep blinking?

#2988 4 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Yes, one of the leds is blinking after disconnecting all the ribbon cables. Pic attached.
[quoted image]

Good - I'm assuming it is the middle one.
This means the game is booting and the CPU should be (mostly) OK - there could be issues with switches etc., but at least it starts.
Next step : connect the grey ribbon cables going to the top right circuit board - that is the DMD/display board.
There are 2 cables going there, one going via the Fliptronic board (top left) and sound board (top middle) and one going directly.
Don't connect the Fliptronic and sound board yet, only the DMD/display board.
Make sure the connectors are connected correctly - the red wire should be to the left on the CPU board and to the top on the sound board.
Also check that the connector hits all the pins on the board - it is easy to displace it one pin to the left or one row wrong.

Then start the game again and see if something comes up on the display.

#2990 4 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Yep, it comes up with a display. Shows the rom Rev then boots into the game showing a start. Pic added.
[quoted image]

So far so good - so the CPU and display card + display are working.
Do the same with the Fliptronic card (upper left) - with the power off, connect the grey ribbon cable.
Switch the game on and try starting a game - if all is well, it should play fine but with no sound.

If this is working, the final step is the sound board.
Make sure the ROMs are installed the right way around - there's a small notch at the end of each chip that should match the notch indicated on the white silkscreen printing on the circuit board - and of course the number on the ROM chip should match the number is printed on the corresponding socket on the sound board.
Connect the grey ribbon cable (with the power off) and start the game.
If it locks up or doesn't boot, you have a fault with the sound board.

#2993 4 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

It boots and playes with the cables to the sound board plugged in but no sound. The display was funky for a couple minutes but that cleared up. Roms are all facing the notch and in the correct places. Anything I should check next? Pic included of sound board.
[quoted image]

Do you hear a "bong" sound when you switch on the machine?
If there's no "bong" and no sound at all, check for basic stuff like is the volume turned down and if all connectors are connected to the sound board.
There are 2 connectors to the speakers at the bottom right of the sound board with black wires - check that they are connected in the right positions.

#3001 4 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

I was getting a bong but still no sound. Took a step backwards as the dmd is all messed up. Tried retracing your directions for testing and everything is disconnected except the dmd to the cpu board and dmd is still a mishmash of garbage. Rechecked the cable connect a couple times, seems correct. Cables are new. I dunno, maybe the dmd is now bad? Seems very coincidental.

If the image is stable but random/garbage it could be the DMD card (not the display itself) that has taken a hit.
Do you have any other WPC machines that use the same card?
If so, you could try swapping the cards around and see if the problem follows the card - or if the problem persists in the Demolition man machine.

#3004 4 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Will this board work for testing? It's from Addams family. Looks pretty much the same and the dmd works perfectly.
[quoted image]

Yes, that should work.

1 week later
#3012 4 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Board is good, tested again with everything connected
Dmd worked, sound interface error still.
Starting a game now results in no ball being launched, flippers are dead. And no sound. I'm kinda stumped about the flippers and ball launch. No other errors are showing up besides the sound error. I think it's haunted.
I welcome any additional thoughts.

If the sound board has problems with the chips connected to the interface (grey ribbon cable), this can affect communications from the CPU to the other boards as well.
So if the game still works as expected with the grey cable from the sound board disconnected, there's a fault with the sound board.
Probably best to send it to ChrisHibler or someone else qualified to repair it.

3 months later
#3062 31 days ago
Quoted from BubbaPin:

Hey so weird thing, that I have never seen before tech wise. Wife has been playing our demo man alot lately. The other day she was having a game and I noticed left flipper was way out of alignment, but pointed upwards instead of down wards... I took the glass off, too the plunger out, inspected it, noticed it wasn't tightened up around the prawl and retightened, reinstalled, and realigned. Tonight I just played it and noticed the flipper positition raised alittle bit again.
I'm stumped.
Possible bushing issue?
What yall think? Had game since 2022 and no issue since initial rebuild and alignment.

Could be the plastic part of the bat has come loose from the metal shaft - or cracked perhaps?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 40.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 72.95
$ 81.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zigzagzag.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-owners-club-members-only?tu=zigzagzag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.