Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-734.jpg
image-113.jpg
image-440.jpg
image.jpg
image-400.jpg
There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 9 years ago

One thing I thought of that's a negative with superbands is that many times it'll put some wicked English on the ball - it can spin the ball so much that you'll swear your table isn't level. But it is. It's just the superbands...just adds another element of unpredictability to the game!

#52 9 years ago

I notice the increased English too. Seems like a lot of pins in tourneys around here have 'Bands, so I've installed'em on mine to get used to them. They definitely look great, but I'm not skilled enough to see a huge difference between the two.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i love the way they look.
they play just a little bit differently. i don't mind, but i understand if people don't like the different feel. the difference is pretty minor, though. anyone acting like it totally changes the feel of the game is exaggerating.
durability, ease of cleaning, and lack of debris on the playfield are objective plusses for the product though.

I respect your opinion, but have to disagree, I played with super bands (flippers not posts yet) and there is a HUGE difference in way the ball acts and the power of the ball you hit. If you cannot tell that's okay but it does totally change the feel of the game. I took them off pretty quickly. I hope I like the super posts better!

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't see any gain in flipper power using super bands. If anything I see a reduction. I prefer bacon.

I have to disagree with that one.

The pins that I do have Super Bands on are ones where I need just a bit more "oomph" to make it up ramps, like MET. Super Bands feel like I upgraded my flipper coils.

They have a different feel from traditional rubber for sure, so like I said back when these first came out, there is definitely going to be a large group of people who don't like them.

I do it on a pin by pin basis, as they work great on some pins (MET), and not so good on others (AFM). I took them off my AFM because they shot the ball too strong, giving lots of airballs and balls flying off ramps.

#56 9 years ago

I enjoy my super bands. They have the look and feel I want on my machines.

I'm a sucker for bling.

#57 9 years ago

I only have them on one pin because it came with them. I like the bounce and it may sound silly but the see through too! That translucent just grabs my eyes when I look at them, better than looking at dirt I am thinking about buying them now for all my pins. I am pretty stingy though and it bums me out that I have a stockpile of the other rubbers and basically if I go Superbands I am throwing those away Maybe I could sell them for the cheap to another pin at a pin show or something...I hate wasting money and throwing stuff out

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I do it on a pin by pin basis, as they work great on some pins (MET), and not so good on others (AFM).

Exactly. I have super bands on about half my pins. They are great for some games, and not so good for others.

#59 9 years ago

Well I'm sold.....I must at least try them....do I need to take flipper off to install.......???!!!.......Joey

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The pins that I do have Super Bands on are ones where I need just a bit more "oomph" to make it up ramps, like MET. Super Bands feel like I upgraded my flipper coils.
They have a different feel from traditional rubber for sure, so like I said back when these first came out, there is definitely going to be a large group of people who don't like them.
I do it on a pin by pin basis, as they work great on some pins (MET), and not so good on others (AFM). I took them off my AFM because they shot the ball too strong, giving lots of airballs and balls flying off ramps.

I agree 110% that they are a game by game basis. AFM is a good example, I found the exact same issue and removed mine from AFM. I have them on Sopranos and not sure they will stay, lot's of airballs and balls flying off ramps.

Chris Kruger

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Well I'm sold.....I must at least try them....do I need to take flipper off to install.......???!!!.......Joey

Nope. Just need strong hands. REALLY strong hands. Start from the point of the flipper and pull back until you can get the lip of the superband over the back of the flipper, then push down. Hard.

If that doesn't work, hook one end of the superband to the bumper of your car and have your kid punch the gas while you put downward pressure on the superband. After your rear wheels dig a three-foot hole in the yard trying to pull the superband far enough, you should be able to get it over the backside of the flipper.

Either way, it's a bitch.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Nope. Just need strong hands. REALLY strong hands. Start from the point of the flipper and pull back until you can get the lip of the superband over the back of the flipper

If you don't have superman hands, then have a SECOND set of hands push down while you hold it near the edge (if that is as far as you can get).

The 2nd person makes this easy.
-mof

#63 9 years ago

Bah-
Not that hard to put on. Just put them over the small end & push them over the big end with your thumbs. Yes, they go on harder than standard rubbers. You might use a touch of Novus #1 to make them slip over easier, but it's no big deal.

#64 9 years ago

Again some games good and some bad. ST Pro, yes. LOTR no. Made dead flipper passes more difficult (ball would hit the slings)

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Bah-
Not that hard to put on. Just put them over the small end & push them over the big end with your thumbs. Yes, they go on harder than standard rubbers. You might use a touch of Novus #1 to make them slip over easier, but it's no big deal.

I think there must be varying sizes or something. I've seen people say it took all their strength to put them on and others say it was no big deal. Me, I could not for the life of me get them on with my bare hands. I had to use a pretty thick screwdriver as a shoehorn and I was very scared the shaft was going to snap in half. Even with about 8 inches of leverage I was putting all my weight against the band to get it on.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from UKCatsFan76:

Again some games good and some bad. ST Pro, yes. LOTR no. Made dead flipper passes more difficult (ball would hit the slings)

I did not like them on ST. Took them off and found the warp ramp was way easier to hit.
Not a fan of the super bands.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I think there must be varying sizes or something. I've seen people say it took all their strength to put them on and others say it was no big deal. Me, I could not for the life of me get them on with my bare hands. I had to use a pretty thick screwdriver as a shoehorn and I was very scared the shaft was going to snap in half. Even with about 8 inches of leverage I was putting all my weight against the band to get it on.

It takes some strength, but I don't have a problem putting them on.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Makes sense to me. More grip means more energy from the flipper is being transferred to the ball.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Nope. Just need strong hands. REALLY strong hands

I applied mine by this method :---- Place one side of the super band over the large end of the flipper bat, but don't push it right down. Place a small flat head screwdriver into the other side of the super band and using the leverage of the screw driver whilst holding a thumb on the other end stretch back and down over the end. You dont need to push it all the way on with the screw driver, just enough for it to NOT fly across the room Once you've done that, use your fingers to push the band all the way down. I used this method on chrome plated bats as well, worked fine!!

#70 9 years ago

Since they became available last fall, I've switched all my machines over to super bands. I've started changing out the post rubbers, too.

They change the game enough that I jokingly call them "cheater rubbers". I find that I achieve better accuracy and power using them. Having said that, the ball spins around in enough unpredictable ways with the super-grippy rubber that you'll often see drains due to weird ball behavior that traditional flipper rubber just won't cause.

They're pretty, consistent across colors (if that's important to you) and don't need to be cleaned as much. They're more expensive, sure - but I'm not sure they'll need to be replaced any time soon.

Superbands for me, please!

#71 9 years ago

Instead of a flat blade screwdriver that can slip and gouge the playfield I used a nut driver to push it down on the small end of the flipper. I also pre stretch them before putting them on the bat.

Chris Kruger

#72 9 years ago

When I first tried putting them on, I was having a rough time. Several minutes of cursing later, I remembered somebody recommended using Windex...rubbed a little on there and they slipped right on.

I didn't leave them on Whirlwind, didn't care for the feel on that game, but have them on MET, LOTR, and Stargate. The slight speed increase is key on those games. And yes, there is a power difference.

#73 9 years ago

They are on all my games.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107456614387039615357/SuperBands2013102002?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLa5z4fO2bOcEA&feat=directlink

I'm waiting for the rest of the designs (rings, posts, and slings).

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I used to have them on some games but took them off. Dont like how they play as dead bounces are not very good. If anyone is interested in some I have many that are brand new and have a few different colors i'd sell for 1/2 what they retail for.

PM sent.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from joemamma:

Instead of a flat blade screwdriver that can slip and gouge the playfield I used a nut driver to push it down on the small end of the flipper. I also pre stretch them before putting them on the bat.

Thats fair enough, but i forgot to mention that i removed the bat and shaft from the machine !! It wouldn't be possible to do it the way i suggested otherwise

#76 9 years ago

We use superbands @ MPNY if not ,with the play these machines get, we would have gone through cases of flipper rubbers by now.

Since our opening we have not had to change one set of Superbands.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Thats fair enough, but i forgot to mention that i removed the bat and shaft from the machine !! It wouldn't be possible to do it the way i suggested otherwise

Ahhhhhh ok, much better. I could just see a screwdriver gouging a nice playfield.

ck

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Don't know. I have put them on an early Bally SS, a late Williams EM, & a late model Stern - all different flipper bat types, & all went on with moderate effort. See u-tube link on proper install technique.

Using a screwdriver or other pry tool adds that much more distance that the bands have to stretch, plus possible damage to playfield if it slips.

#79 9 years ago

I'm glad someone else said this...the closest a screwdriver ever gets to my PFs is about three inches. Any closer and I start twitching.

#80 9 years ago

It probably wasn't the smartest move, but it was a last resort after wrestling with the bands for 15 minutes. I didn't start with the screwdriver.

#81 9 years ago

I find them easy to put on cold. Put it over the big end of the flipper bat, and pull with two fingers toward the skinny end until it pulls over that end. Push it down from the top to seat all the way to the step. Takes about 5 seconds each.

#82 9 years ago

For those of you who like superbands, why don't you just take the glass off of all your machines and reach in and grab the ball every time it goes in the outlane? You can use your fingers to activate roll-overs and targets. Then you can just grab the ball anytime you want to drop it in a hole or kicker.

Pinball is just way too hard when played as designed.

#83 9 years ago

The easiest way to install the super bands by far is the method used in the video above.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

For those of you who like superbands, why don't you just take the glass off of all your machines and reach in and grab the ball every time it goes in the outlane. You can use your fingers to activate roll-overs and targets. Then you can just grab the ball anytime you want to drop it in a hole or kicker.

Lolol.....bit overkill...don't you think....???!!!.........Joey

#85 9 years ago

I just drop mine in hot water for a few minutes wipe them dry and they slide on easy.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

why don't you just take the glass off of all your machines

The glass comes off??

#87 9 years ago

I love em'

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

For those of you who like superbands, why don't you just take the glass off of all your machines and reach in and grab the ball every time it goes in the outlane? You can use your fingers to activate roll-overs and targets. Then you can just grab the ball anytime you want to drop it in a hole or kicker.

I've put duct tape across my outlanes, but I haven't found any noticeable improvement in my score.

#89 9 years ago
#90 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

see what I mean about haters exaggerating?

#91 9 years ago

I liked super bands a lot on the games I played at SFGE this year that had them. So, I ended up buying them for all of my games.

#92 9 years ago

Love my superbands and Joe is a super nice guy to boot!

#93 9 years ago

I got sick if draining so I put a few wood screws in and BAM....no more drains....lol.........Joey

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

No - they're actually very easy to install if you have a helper:
1. Slide a non-scratching cleaning cloth underneath the flipper. Then, starting from the inside "pull" the cloth further and further underneath the flipper - the cloth will lump togther and firmly lock the flipper in place (so the tip can't move towards the playfield any more). This will take any strain off the axle when installing the new rubbers.
2. Slide the superband over the thick end of the flipper and have someone put a finger on it so it won't slip off over the top.
3. Use both index fingers to pull the superband over the tip of the flipper.
4. Slide the superband down in place and adjust as needed.

Takes just one minute, doesn't put any strain on anything and doesn't require much strength.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

see what I mean about haters exaggerating?

I don't care enough to hate. What I find most often is that people who label others haters are hypersensitive to any dissenting opinions. The correct terms would be hyperbole and exaggeration. I don't think either of these are "hateful". In fact, your use of the pejorative "haters" is clearly an example of the exact hyperbole and exaggeration you are complaining of. It is ironic... and no coincidence.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

This post is silly. I'd use another word, but "be nice"™....

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I don't care enough to hate. What I find most often is that people who label others haters are hypersensitive to any dissenting opinions. The correct terms would be hyperbole and exaggeration. I don't think either of these are "hateful". In fact, your use of the pejorative "haters" is clearly an example of the exact hyperbole and exaggeration you are complaining of. It is ironic... and no coincidence.

It wasn't your opinion. It was the way you said it, which was belittling to anybody who has a dissenting opinion to yours. You may not agree with everybody, but you can at least be respectful about it.

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

you didn't express a dissenting opinion, you mocked everyone who uses them by likening the bands to taking off the glass and just hitting the switches by hand. don't pretend you weren't being hostile.

#99 9 years ago

Clearly we have differing definitions of the word "hostile". I would simply suggest that anything that makes the game easier is something that should be avoided by the typical pinball enthusiast unless you have a specific need.

#100 9 years ago

I just want to add that your post insinuated that using superbands is somehow cheating. It's not. If it was, the IFPA or PAPA wouldn't allow them in tournaments.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.50
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-bandsor-not/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.