Topic Stats

• 312 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by phillymadison
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-734.jpg
image-113.jpg
image-440.jpg
image.jpg
image-400.jpg

There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 5 years ago

Use one flipper with one superband and one without

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Use one flipper with one superband and one without

Use one flipper with no super band and the other one without.

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I don't quite think your machine will magically morph into the Pinball Arcade counterpart and turn you to into Bowen Kerins...

Quoted from Mancave:

Cmon dude, thats a complete crock. Having super bands on your machine DOESN'T instantly make you a SUPER player...

Quoted from pezpunk:

I'd love to see you play my STTNG with superbands and show me how easy it is.

Have you guys been reading this thread?

Quoted from beelzeboob:

You may have to turn down the flipper coil a couple points, because there's a hell of a bounce of them.

Quoted from Seatmandan:

They definitely add zip to a smacked ball.

Quoted from tilt-master:

I have only scored 1 Bil + on my IJ once. I installed superbands and within and hour I had scored 1 Bil + for the second time ever, two games after 600Mil +

I feel like they give an advantage over standard flipper rubbers with more control. So Super Bands are going in all machines for me.

Quoted from floyd1977:

I also experienced higher scores with the super bands on (I don't necessarily see this as a plus).

Quoted from vid1900:

Superbands give surgical precision.

And that's just from the first page. All three of you seemed to have missed my point anyway. They will briefly give your scores a slight bump, but you'll never become a Bowen if you have them on all your games. Do you want short term satisfaction, or do you want to continue to become a better player? Having urethane rubbers on all your games will not make you a better player long term. I'm not saying don't use them. I'm just suggesting using them in moderation.

Quoted from Dewey68:

Was it Superbands or the Saturn Rings that had the different durometer ratings?

The saturn rings come in 4 different hardness. 1, 2 , 3 and IFPA approved. They had trouble with the florescent ones breaking early, but the IFPA rubbers on my location Ripley's have held up fine for many months.

The super band folks said they were going for black rubber durometer rating. I don't care what they read on the durometer, they don't play the same as black rubbers. You can easily test this yourself by putting a super band on one flipper and fresh natural black rubber on the other. Then drop a ball from the upper playfield to each flipper and see which one bounces more. The difference will be noticeable.

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

Has anyone tried super posts (bumpers and/or posts)? I just ordered some, any opinions?

The mini post rubbers are MUCH bouncier than standard rubber. On Stern Star Trek, I put Super mini-posts in the outlane and it was as though I closed up the outlane because the ball would seemingly bounce completely clear of the outlane with even slow balls. It behaved as though I nudged the machine perfectly every time. It's opposite from Super Bands which some people critique for being too "dead".

They are as indestructible as the Super Bands.

#155 5 years ago

Just installed Superbands on my Grand Lizard. In my first game played with them I beat my best score to date by 2.5 million points.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Applezz:

Just installed Superbands on my Grand Lizard. In my first game played with them I beat my best score to date by 2.5 million points.

Crutch!
"Crutchbands"?
-mof

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Crutch!"Crutchbands"?-mof

I know....First thing my 10 year old daughter said was the ball moves fatser now after her first ball......I think I'll be taking them off tomorrow.

#158 5 years ago

No, no, no..... I put purple superb and on my STLE, looked freaking fantastic but the game changed completely and I did not like.it one bit.

Ball was bouncing everywhere and way too fast for pinball. Biggest note was that wall the ball rolled down the side and onto the flipper, it would jump and slowly down due to the grip.

Took them off!!

#159 5 years ago

In general - do not like them!

Why... catches are a lot easier, often it is okay to just hold up your flipper. I also "feel", that they are more precise in shooting and it looks like they are adding power. Dead bounces are "shorter", so mostly they do not make sense anymore, even nudging does help much to make them "longer". Altogether is does not feel "original" anymore..

But - if it more fun to you playing with superbands... why not?

#160 5 years ago

Why is 'increased accuracy' a bad thing? It seems to me that the ball going where I shoot it, rather than where I didn't aim it is an advancement in the technology. Who thinks that a ball coming off the flipper at a semi-random trajectory is a good thing?

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Why is 'increased accuracy' a bad thing?

The original rubbers are an important part of the game... now other rubbers are coming up with "improved" characteristics. This can substantially change the way to play the game. Less skills are required to control the ball on the one hand and one the other hand certain skills are counterproductive... it is not only about "increased accuracy".

There are also other parameters that change the game... angle, outlane posts, new/old rubber, overall technical condition and many more - so it's not a drama, but still something to consider.

Personally - i tried them at home, I do not like them... but some friends of mine and me are running a "shared" basement, in which also our league is hosted. And there are superbands on some machines (but not on mine ). Everybody can do what he wants to...

#162 5 years ago

Bounce and shot angle difference are important changes that effect play. When I tried them on my CFBL last week I couldn't make shots for the life of me- my games were less then 50M points. I replaced them with traditional red rubbers and had 100M->300M point games.

On a side note, I went to a competition this past weekend where all the modern (90s+) pins had superbands. Many local top tier players didn't like them for similar reasons pointed out in this thread.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Bounce and shot angle difference are important changes that effect play. When I tried them on my CFBL last week I couldn't make shots for the life of me- my games were less then 50M points. I replaced them with traditional red rubbers and had 100M->300M point games.
On a side note, I went to a competition this past weekend where all the modern (90s+) pins had superbands. Many local top tier players didn't like them for similar reasons pointed out in this thread.

Yes. I find it way more difficult to hit orbit shots because of the extra "grip". That, coupled with almost no bounce makes them a no go for me. They do look nice though.

#164 5 years ago

THANK YOU Linolium and Pimp77. No i'm not being a smart arse, you have confirmed to me that using superbands does NOT make you a better player NOR make a game easier to play, JUST makes it different to what you may be USED to.
OI OI phishrace !!! this is exactly what i stated in my initial post on this subject !!!
If you eliminate both extremes in an argument you usually end up closer to the truth !!

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Why is 'increased accuracy' a bad thing?

It's not if you are getting old. I like to think of myself as getting younger. No crutches or eyeglasses for me...

Where I live, we strive to make the games harder, not easier.

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's not if you are getting old. I like to think of myself as getting younger. No crutches or eyeglasses for me...
Where I live, we strive to make the games harder, not easier.

This doesn't make sense. At all.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

This doesn't make sense. At all.

I just like my games to play faster. The ones I have played with urethane seem to deaden the ball.

#168 5 years ago

Which more dramatically changes gameplay/ball control: lightning flippers or superbands?

#169 5 years ago

both change gameplay ~equally but in different ways.

...Put a superband on a lighting flipper and OMG CHANGE

#170 5 years ago

Use two inch flippers with regular rubbers and you might also sense a change.

#171 5 years ago

I have Saturn IFPA rubbers on my MET and they feel great, normal bounce, grip, etc. They last forever, easy clean-up, etc. I have Super Bands on LOTR. I like the increased grip (power) but the lack of bounce bugs me with dead bounces. I think I like the Saturn bands a bit more.

The only rubbers I hate are the ones that break and give you a surprise in nine months. I dig controlled outcome, I guess.

#172 5 years ago

just bought some,, damn these threads !!

#173 5 years ago

I got a narrow set for a Gottlieb project I'm starting. Maybe the game won't play so danged slow with these!

#174 5 years ago

Like the super bands for mini posts. I put some on my Metallica premium, no more air balls up by ramp and Sparky. These super bands for the mini posts are wider then the thinner black rubber. I like them, good bounce and no air balls off them. I still however still use rubber on the flippers, but that's what I like.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Like the super bands for mini posts. I put some on my Metallica premium, no more air balls up by ramp and Sparky. These super bands for the mini posts are wider then the thinner black rubber. I like them, good bounce and no air balls off them. I still however still use rubber on the flippers, but that's what I like.

Exactly. That's what it's all about. What you like.
Don't see why some people get all uptight about the Super bands

#176 5 years ago

Don't put super bands on a Steve Richie machine.... if you take it to shows he attends.
I'm still stinging from the ridicule he sent my way.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Don't put super bands on a Steve Richie machine.... if you take it to shows he attends.

Steve will be the first to admit that he'll likely never win PAPA, but he knows how a game should play. He was playing my T3 one time and stopped in the middle of ball because he said the kickback wasn't working right. Told me to give him some tools. I did. He fixed it, then played some more.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I don't know when that happened, but he has indicated he would have built Star Trek with Super Bands and Super Mini Posts if he had known about them during game design. See item 6:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-summary-of-fixes

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

He appears to have recanted that to some extent, saying they are perfect for Star Trek and should be on his future machines.

I think his early reaction was quite severe, just like everyone else's. My first interaction was at Pinball Expo last year. It was jarring, and EVERYBODY was complaining. Keith Elwin almost put his name in as "Superbands Suck" when he got a high score on one of the tournament games.

They've grown on me, and they're now on my Sterns. I don't care about higher scores (no change for me, and in fact worse on AC/DC). The Superbands just "feel" better on those snappy Stern flippers. I would not put them on a B/W game, or an EM. It would ruin that classic spongy feel (which I prefer overall).

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Don't put super bands on a Steve Richie machine....

Just "play better".

#181 5 years ago

LOL. He did this to me during TPF'2014.

Well... he specifically told me to take them off as they weren't "right" for the game.
I haven't yet... and TBH; probably won't.
The king spoke and I'm probably going to be convicted of treason.

I "deserved" the ridicule... but's its also the same time he said my Mirror Universe was a "beautiful machine" after he played it.

#182 5 years ago

I was going to get several different sizes of bands from titan pinball. Has anyone had experience with them?

#183 5 years ago

IMO you should play with what type you prefer regardless of how anyone else feels about it. No offense intended at all but we all have different preferences we should all enjoy our expensive toys how we like.

I personally do think they change gameplay, having the grip & reduced bounce allows for better control but the bounce pass was harder (for me). I don't have them on my pins but can definitely understand why some like them.

#184 5 years ago

Changed all my machines bar one, thinking it might be good to keep one games with for comp practice as not all machines have changed. But after doing monthly clean I think I will change it as well, how crap are the rubber ones to clean compared to the super bands.

1 week later
#185 5 years ago

Just added the SBs to my LOTR, first time I've ever used them, really like them. Feels like ball control is better, less bounce.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

LOL. He did this to me during TPF'2014.
Well... he specifically told me to take them off as they weren't "right" for the game.
I haven't yet... and TBH; probably won't.
The king spoke and I'm probably going to be convicted of treason.
I "deserved" the ridicule... but's its also the same time he said my Mirror Universe was a "beautiful machine" after he played it.

He did the same to me. I bought the pro off the marco booth. he signed my translight for me and played the pin to test it out. After the game he pulled me aside and told me to pull those things off the game.

I left them on and actually have since taken them off as of 2 weeks ago. I was a huge fan of them and had them on all my Sterns. I loved the control and flipper strength but took them off most of my games as I felt they were making me a worse player (just my opinion of my play, no flaming needed). I played some games in a tournament that had reg flipper rubber on them and noticed I couldn't drop catch or live catch anymore on standard rubber.

I still love superbands but I'm finding that I'm enjoying a couple machines more without them. With superbands I made Encore 3 times, got to roll out 2 times and made it through all level 2 modes in ST. With standard I never made it this far before on any of my machines so they differently make me play better. I'm thinking that it's best to have a mixture since it seems tournaments have both types. If you never play in tournaments then just play what you like.

#187 5 years ago

all of my machines on location have them installed.

#188 5 years ago

Actually; now that I think about it... maybe all duplicate Free play machines on the floor which aren't in the Tourney area should have Super bands.
IE my STLE had superbands on it while the ones in the Tourney area didn't.
While I doubt it really did a lot; Maybe it deterred the tourney players from hogging my machine for practice.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Actually; now that I think about it... maybe all duplicate Free play machines on the floor which aren't in the Tourney area should have Super bands.
IE my STLE had superbands on it while the ones in the Tourney area didn't.
While I doubt it really did a lot; Maybe it deterred the tourney players from hogging my machine for practice.

So you think super bands should be used to deter folks from playing a particular game.

If that's an endorsement, it's a negative one. I don't want to put anything on my games that repels players.

#190 5 years ago

omg - lighten up.
Casual players don't seem to care ... look at all the negative-ish comments from the tourney players about super bands.

I was attempting to be tongue-in-cheek about the use of superbands while poking fun at the competitive player.

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

omg - lighten up.
Casual players don't seem to care ... look at all the negative-ish comments from the tourney players about super bands.
I was attempting to be tongue-in-cheek about the use of superbands while poking fun at the competitive player.

You should've added a *winking* smiley at the end. d

#192 5 years ago

Trying out some of the Saturn ring maroon. Though been reading the other threads, sounds a bit mixed review? Hoping at least the breakage issue has been worked out.

#193 5 years ago

the superbands look good but they are inflating my scores beyond what they should be. I pulled my stats on my TZ which I am awful at after 614 games with rubber and then switch to superbands and played another 138 games and pulled the stats. My average ball time went from 58 to 68 seconds with superbands. The scores and game lengths are both increased. I have 30.3% of my games take over 4 minutes with rubber, its 37.7% with superbands. The sample size with superbands is smaller and I plan to play more and document that too. After a get to 200+ games I'll probably go back to rubber and play 200 games an compare that too, just to verify its the rubber not me betting much better.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Need new rubber on my flippers and wondered if anybody used super bands,also how did they work out for you....or is traditional best..???..........Joey

Not.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It takes some strength, but I don't have a problem putting them on.

I use a hair dryer for about a minute to heat them up and they go on without too much effort.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

the superbands look good but they are inflating my scores beyond what they should be. I pulled my stats on my TZ which I am awful at after 614 games with rubber and then switch to superbands and played another 138 games and pulled the stats. My average ball time went from 58 to 68 seconds with superbands. The scores and game lengths are both increased. I have 30.3% of my games take over 4 minutes with rubber, its 37.7% with superbands. The sample size with superbands is smaller and I plan to play more and document that too. After a get to 200+ games I'll probably go back to rubber and play 200 games an compare that too, just to verify its the rubber not me betting much better.

I felt this way too, but wasn't sure if it was the bands or the upgraded flipper coils I installed on my LOTR.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Thank God you actually made a chart. I think that's hilarious! I want Rlerman to know that it was absolutely the superbands on his LOTR. I put superbands on mine, and the very first game with them lasted 45 minutes and I completed Fellowship multiball, which I had never done before. Superbands are like taking the weight off of a baseball bat...the flippers have a lot more snap and shots (especially backhands) become far easier.

I still don't consider it cheating. It's just a "new technology" with game rubbers. Would it be cheating if they began making sling rubbers that gave your game more zip, or caused you to turn down the coils? PAPA has machines with superbands at their competitions, and that's all I need to have a clear conscience about playing with them. Love 'em!

EDIT: My wife started posting some higher scores on all of my machines after I installed superbands. I didn't have the heart to tell her...

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

My wife started posting some higher scores on all of my machines after I installed superbands. I didn't have the heart to tell her...

hehehe, my wife won't let me take them off my games. She loves them.

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thank God you actually made a chart. I think that's hilarious! I want Rlerman to know that it was absolutely the superbands on his LOTR. I put superbands on mine, and the very first game with them lasted 45 minutes and I completed Fellowship multiball, which I had never done before. Superbands are like taking the weight off of a baseball bat...the flippers have a lot more snap and shots (especially backhands) become far easier.
I still don't consider it cheating. It's just a "new technology" with game rubbers. Would it be cheating if they began making sling rubbers that gave your game more zip, or caused you to turn down the coils? PAPA has machines with superbands at their competitions, and that's all I need to have a clear conscience about playing with them. Love 'em!
EDIT: My wife started posting some higher scores on all of my machines after I installed superbands. I didn't have the heart to tell her...

I could see there being an advantage if you are hitting a moving ball as the bounce off the flipper would be different, but at rest, not sure why super bands make a difference. On my LOTR, at rest I was hitting the ring and back handing the sword ramp consistently and with little fatigue through the game. I could not do that with the older coils and regular rubber. Guess I'll have to test this by putting my old flipper rubber back on.

#200 5 years ago

I think even when you're hitting the ball at rest, there's more give to the rubber that allows the ball to be propelled a little more. I'm sure your coil had a factor in all of it, that's for sure. But even without a new coil, there's been a noticible difference for me.

Forgot to mention again that any advantage one might see in using superbands is offset by the wicked English that the ball has when it comes off the flipper. I've had balls literally change direction radically, both coming off the flipper and targets and in the middle of the playfield because of the incredible amounts of spin the superbands put on the ball. It's the sucky part of superbands, but it sure makes for an interesting game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Madison, AL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 137.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 999.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Santa Clara, CA
Machine - For Sale
Kinnelon, NJ
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside