stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider justlikeme.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3950 1 year ago

I took delivery of GZ Premium yesterday, my second machine with Insider Connected. The first machine connected immediately and has been trouble free since then, but I’m having issues with GZ despite it being in the same room and connected to the same AP.

I managed to get it connected to the AP when I set it up yesterday, and scanned my insider QR code to link it to my account. I logged in and completed the registration and it’s now showing on my profile. However, the game now reports that it’s unable to connect to Insider Connected, and when I test the connection I get a result for CDN speed test, but server loopback reports no connection. It also thought I was up to date on code 0.97 when 0.98 is available.

I’ve reset the Wi-Fi dongle and connected to the AP again using the QR code generated by the other machine which is connected to Insider, checked the time on the game is correct, and updated to 0.98 via USB and I’m still having the exact same issues. Does anyone have any suggestions re how I troubleshoot?

#3955 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Might be worth a new sdcard - failing that try swapping the usb wifi dongle?

Quoted from purbeast:

I got a GZ Premium in early August and it's the on IC machine I have.
I ended up buying a wifi dongle and microSD card for my JP, hooked the scanner to it to setup home team, then removed the scanner. So now it works with home team no problem.
I was getting much better network connections with JP and the MicroCenter dongle than I was with the one Stern provided for GZ. Someone pointed me to a USB extension cable and I got one and my wifi dongle now is just dangling out on top of my GZ machine. But since it's not in that metal box, it seems to be getting better connections now. Maybe try that? I'm guessing the wifi dongle Stern puts in there just isn't the greatest, at least not in my experience.

The game is only a couple of feet from the AP. Closer than my Deadpool Premium that connects fine. The signal strength reports as good, the speed test is fine, and it managed to connect to IC when I registered the game. I’m willing to try a new Wi-Fi dongle, but I really don’t think that’s the issue - it seems to be an issue connecting to the IC server.

#3956 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Don't get .98. The latest code on all LCD games is causing reboots.

Oops. Too late. Can I roll back?

#3965 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

the .98 code has been fine for me.
I have a feeling your dongle is on the way out. try it in the other USB port on the board and see if that makes a difference, I've had a few of them just die on me with symptoms not a mile away from yours.

Cheers, I'll give it a go later.

#3970 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I have a feeling your dongle is on the way out. try it in the other USB port on the board and see if that makes a difference, I've had a few of them just die on me with symptoms not a mile away from yours.

Switching USB ports did actually work! Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think it’s worth ordering a replacement dongle, and if so, do you have any recommendations?

1 week later
#4013 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

New code today? Wonder if they patched out the home team work around for IC, worth checking before anyone upgrades.

Quoted from Bundy:

Let's hope not. Should be in their interest that as many as possible is using Insider connected.
I will not by kits for all my "old" machines at retail but with this solution I can use IC on all.

I've seen a few people mention the home team workaround - I assume this means using one IC kit to register games without IC kits, and then setting up home team on those machines so that you can keep using IC without the QR scanner being installed on the machine?

If so, does anyone have a guide re the easiest way to do this?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4017 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

It's simple, buy a cheap wifi dongle ( I use these ones .. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015TCA2EM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and Micro SD card ( I use these ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GY9NYRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and plug them both into the main spike 2 board. Plug the scanner in borrowed from another machine, to a free RJ45 socket ( the node board under the playfield near the flippers or a free one ON THE LOWER EDGE of the main board in the head. Boot up and configure. Remove scanner and enjoy playing your machine loging in via Hometeam with no scanner connected.

Cheers, much appreciated. So the IC kit can be powered by one game, and connected to the other via RJ45? No need to remove from one game and install on another?

Also - if a high score is set on an IC game when it isn't online, is that score erased when it next connects? I've had high scores disappear a couple of times now and I can't think of another explanation.

#4018 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Quoted from SonicZone:

This is what I put into my AS Pro during the IC install instead of the Stern-supplied one (other Pinsiders are using it as well) -- works perfect, haven't had one connection issue with it:
TP-Link TL-WN725N
amazon.com link »
Do NOT get the "newer model version" further down the page, that newer one is known to likely not work with IC/Spike 2.

This dongle arrived today and it does seem to connect - but I have to do it manually when I switch the game on by testing the connection. Most of the time server loopback still reports no connection, but I get a CDN speed test value and after the test it reports as connected to IC. I have a Deadpool Premium with IC right next to GZ and that hasn't had a single issue since day one. Not sure where to go from here.

1 week later
#4043 1 year ago

Thinking of just giving up on Insider Connected. My first IC machine, Deadpool Prem, worked flawlessly. Connected instantly first time and hasn’t had any issues since. My second IC machine, Godzilla Prem, is immediately next to Deadpool and connected to the same AP. I was able to register the machine to my account on the first try, but the machine just doesn’t want to hold a connection. It never connects to IC when I switch it on - I have to go into the menu and manually test the connection, after which it reports as connected around 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time it just won’t connect until I power cycle the machine. Sometimes when it reports as connected it still says the machine isn’t online when I scan my QR code / does nothing when I hold the flipper button for home team. Even when it does connect properly I get server loopback: no connection 99% of the time. I’ve also lost high scores that were set when the machine wasn’t connected when it next manages to connect - is this normal? I’ve bought a new Wi-Fi dongle (TP-Link TL-WN725N) that was suggested as a replacement in this thread which I’ve tried in both USB ports and I’m still having the exact same issues.

Yesterday I used the Home Team workaround to try to get EHOH connected. Again, I was able to link the machine to my account on the first attempt, and enabled home team just fine. However, after power cycling the game I’m having the same problems - have to manually test the connection to get it to connect around 50% of the time. When the QR reader from GZ isn’t connected it won’t even let me test the connection - reports that the SD card and Wi-Fi dongle are installed but says I need the QR reader to connect.

I’m at a loss. I’ve checked the guided setup options on Deadpool as that’s worked fine since day one and noticed that I hadn’t changed the location of the machine from USA to UK, but even after changing both GZ and EHOH to USA I get the same exact problem, although the first time I tested the connection on GZ after making that change I did get a result for server loopback on test. After that first test though it went back to reporting no connection. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just deregister all the games and give up?

Edit - here are some photos:

Deadpool:

About page - After connecting to IC when machine switched on:

090EFAD3-411C-4347-B72C-416C3A17FF67 (resized).jpeg090EFAD3-411C-4347-B72C-416C3A17FF67 (resized).jpeg

Connection Test:

269A2912-CED1-44D1-9671-17D37C5B19B3 (resized).jpeg269A2912-CED1-44D1-9671-17D37C5B19B3 (resized).jpeg

GZ:

About page - after not connecting to IC when machine switched on:

ED29809D-A4F5-4658-B590-62381C3D8768 (resized).jpegED29809D-A4F5-4658-B590-62381C3D8768 (resized).jpeg

Connection Test:

8C4BA080-5508-4DC8-9D78-52C3BB9254C0 (resized).jpeg8C4BA080-5508-4DC8-9D78-52C3BB9254C0 (resized).jpeg

Elvira:

Screen when I select network despite previously registering to IC and setting up home team:

21D632BE-5E5D-4D7E-90B2-A1ACF45C49C0 (resized).jpeg21D632BE-5E5D-4D7E-90B2-A1ACF45C49C0 (resized).jpeg

#4045 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Have you tried taking the wifi dongle from Deadpool and installing it in Godzilla? I know you tried a new dongle but using one that you know works on another game is a good baseline. Where is your router? Are Godzilla and EHOH physically farther away or have any obstructions that your DP does not?

The AP is maybe 4-5m away in the same room. Direct line of sight with no obstructions. When I first set GZ up it was closer to the AP than DP - only a few feet away - and I had the exact same problem. At the moment GZ is immediately to the right of DP, so perhaps a couple of feet further away from the AP, but if you have a look at the images I posted above both the signal strength and CDN speed test results are higher on GZ than DP, probably because of the better quality Wi-Fi dongle. EHOH is directly to the right of GZ.

I’ll try using the DP dongle, but it seems strange that the one in GZ reports better signal and speed test but still doesn’t work as well.

#4047 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Next time one fails, leave power on and swap the dongle from one USB port to the other. I think the MPU boards get confused sometimes (software bug) and doing the swap allows the USB driver to update and correct the hardware configuration with power on. This worked for my LZ and never had these issues again.

So switch GZ on, and when it fails to connect on power up switch the dongle to the other USB port? Will give it a go - did you then power cycle the machine or just test connection again?

Edit - just gave this a try. GZ didn’t connect when I switched it on, so I swapped the dongle over to the other USB port. It then reported that it was connected to the AP, but no IP address set.

FF90C082-F651-4243-810B-0CBE0AC0C01D (resized).jpegFF90C082-F651-4243-810B-0CBE0AC0C01D (resized).jpeg

1791ACC8-3ABE-4006-97C3-579B8238286A (resized).jpeg1791ACC8-3ABE-4006-97C3-579B8238286A (resized).jpeg

0BF2D978-EE0F-4AC3-B41C-9D9B45577D41 (resized).jpeg0BF2D978-EE0F-4AC3-B41C-9D9B45577D41 (resized).jpeg

I reset the Wi-Fi dongle via the options, reconnected to the AP via the QR code from Deadpool, and I’m back to where I started - the machine doesn’t connect on boot, but does connect after testing the connection. Still gives no connection for server loopback.

Will try the DP dongle next.

#4048 1 year ago

Now I’m really confused. This is the dongle that came with GZ Prem:

0D452CD5-F237-4980-87CB-9A7080989579 (resized).jpeg0D452CD5-F237-4980-87CB-9A7080989579 (resized).jpeg

And this is the ‘dongle’ that came with DP Prem:

2B9EB41C-40C8-42B8-A726-C537B3963243 (resized).jpeg2B9EB41C-40C8-42B8-A726-C537B3963243 (resized).jpeg

One of these is not like the other. Strange part is I’m still getting better connection strength and speed test on GZ than I am on DP!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider justlikeme.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=justlikeme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.