Screenshot_20240302-195526 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240302-195537 (resized).png
IMG_1108 (resized).png
IMG_2873 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0596 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 6,088 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 122.
#1 2 years ago

Looks like the internet enabled technology Stern has been dancing around is finally coming out:

Seems like its heavy on the user profile/achievement/stats system that most modern video games utilize.

Edit - More information from George Gomez himself:

------------

Adding jurulz tutorial here for reference for those asking

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/36#post-6626480

#2 2 years ago

Looks awesome!

All new runs of older games will have it installed. How do we get this to retrofit?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

All new runs of older games will have it installed. How do we get this to retrofit?

My guess is most spike systems will support this (with a new apron and a node board that chains in somehow).

#4 2 years ago

Nice...finally we'll have wifi updates

#5 2 years ago

I wonder how much the aprons will cost

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I wonder how much the aprons will cost

why would you need a new apron?

#7 2 years ago

Some kind of QR scanner on the apron? So much for the 'Pinbar', turns out we had a high-performance touch enabled colour display available all along!

#8 2 years ago

FWIW - I was a round one Xbox Live Beta Tester and am a HUGE lifetime gamer in general ...Gamertag YourMom and PSNID YourMom
With that said - I can assure you the platform is much larger than just stat tracking and braggin rights (although that is certainly there!) - GG and team surprised the hell out of me on this.

Super excited for what's in store!

Quoted from anathematize:

Looks like the internet enabled technology Stern has been dancing around is finally coming out:

Seems like its heavy on the user profile/achievement/stats system that most modern video games utilize.

#10 2 years ago

Wonder if this opens up the possibility of multi-game campaign-style play.

#11 2 years ago

Podcast on their site is up with George Gomez as well.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

FWIW - I was a round one Xbox Live Beta Tester and am a HUGE lifetime gamer in general ...Gamertag YourMom and PSNID YourMom
With that said - I can assure you the platform is much larger than just stat tracking and braggin rights (although that is certainly there!) - GG and team surprised the hell out of me on this.
Super excited for what's in store!

Nice! I was early on in the Xbox Live Beta to due to some good friends that work at our local Microsoft campus.

Gamertage: aeon

I'm glad to hear that it is just more than a glorified achievement system. I'm assuming you've been beta testing this one too? ;~)

#13 2 years ago

Looking forward to hearing the price and hope it doesn’t break the bank. Will put one in both of my spike 2 machines.

#14 2 years ago

Listened to the podcast.....the armed and dangerous game sounds really interesting. Would love to hear more about that.... Every pinball machine is setup differently. How can this work to compare from one machine to another?

#15 2 years ago

Have they stated the 7 games that are included at launch?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

don’t believe so but guessing: Mando, Turtles, Iron Maiden, jurrasic park, avengers, Deadpool and ……Godzilla!

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

Well they stated any game produced after the September launch. So anything that going to get a run yet. JPloof has some good guesses, but I would sub zepplin for Iron Maiden (since the video shows it on zepplin).

Its an "inexpensive" upgrade if you don't have it. Wonder what they consider inexpensive....

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Well they stated any game produced after the September launch. So anything that gets run.
Its an "inexpensive" upgrade if you don't have it. Wonder what they consider inexpensive....

That is my same exact thought haha, I would love to put this on all my location games for players, but there is a reason my machines don't have toppers! Hopefully it is $200 or sub.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Podcast on their site is up with George Gomez as well.

Link? Can't find it.

**edit: Found it**

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

Link? Can't find it.

You have to log into Stern Insider first.

#21 2 years ago

Sick!!!! Cant wait , anything that adds to my games I'm all for!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

You have to log into Stern Insider first.

Ah, Thanks! I see it now.

#23 2 years ago

listen-do-you-smell-something-gif-5 (resized).pnglisten-do-you-smell-something-gif-5 (resized).png

Yeah Ray, that's the across-the board price increase they're going to add to all future games to "cover" this feature....

Later,
EV

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#25 2 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

most modern video games utilize.

*Video games since 2004

Haha

#26 2 years ago

So I guess LE owners have to remove one of their special insets to add this QR reader if they want to add this feature to their machine? I wish they would have taken another route. Scorbit does the same thing but does not require a reader on the pinball machine.

#27 2 years ago

Interesting that they went with the scanner/camera in the pin, rather than just showing the QR code on the display of the pin and then having you scan the QR code with your phone's camera.

Also, the "upgrade" module obviously has the scanner but must also include the wifi capability for the machine to connect to the Internet.

#29 2 years ago

Is this the gadget that is going to brick your machine if you are not running factory code?

#30 2 years ago

Yet you clicked the thread and took time to comment. Solid contribution.

#31 2 years ago

This probably explains why the steep rumored price increases might be occurring across the board if all future games will come equipped .

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

So I guess LE owners have to remove one of their special insets to add this QR reader if they want to add this feature to their machine? I wish they would have taken another route. Scorbit does the same thing but does not require a reader on the pinball machine.

Hoping I can just replace or cover this qr sign with some sort of artwork.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Walk:

Yet you clicked the thread and took time to comment. Solid contribution.

Can't read if you don't click,Einstein...

#34 2 years ago

Ugh, should be a mod on new machines not included with every one.
Just another price increase that will not improve game experience for us "non competitive " players.
Prices are already too high on new Sterns...

#35 2 years ago

Hoping this leads to adding a cooperative play mode (ala Mandalorian) to LCD games as well.

#36 2 years ago

The actual games feature game specific art (and in fact MORE as a result of the new apron vs the old) - I know as I've made some So don't worry!

Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Hoping I can just replace or cover this ugly qr sign with some sort of artwork. I have zero interest in this or wifi update capability.

#37 2 years ago

Pretty disappointing first crack at connectivity honestly. This feels like a knee jerk response to Scorbit and not stepping back and finding ways to make the game more engaging for the player with no constraints. For example, why QR codes and not some sort of wireless connectivity like bluetooth or NFC? Another example, why not have a rich app that lets you see how you drained and helps you learn how to not drain the same way. Doing an awkward QR code dance for leaderboards and a personal scoreboards is a bit of a let down. Hopefully, this is just a v1 and they're thinking of more but pretty me too offering to start.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

Pretty disappointing first crack at connectivity honestly. This feels like a knee jerk response to Scorbit and not stepping back and finding ways to make the game more engaging for the player with no constraints. For example, why QR codes and not some sort of wireless connectivity like bluetooth or NFC? Another example, why not have a rich app that lets you see how you drained and helps you learn how to not drain the same way. Doing an awkward QR code dance for leaderboards and a personal scoreboards is a bit of a let down. Hopefully, this is just a v1 and they're thinking of more but pretty me too offering to start.

Did you listen to George discuss it on the podcast? It sounds like it does quite a bit more than Scorbit. I think Scorbit is awesome by the way.

#39 2 years ago

There's way more than what's being discussed or shown - be patient

Quoted from Zambonilli:

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

For example, why QR codes and not some sort of wireless connectivity like bluetooth or NFC

QR codes are the path of least resistance and don't require new certification like a wireless connectivity would. I run the mobile development team at a golf simulator company and we use QR codes and 6-digit rotating codes because asking a user for another permission. Non tech savvy people know how to scan a QR code, it "just works".

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

why not have a rich app that lets you see how you drained and helps you learn how to not drain the same way.

"You drained down the middle. Next time, don't hit it there."

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

#43 2 years ago

The kit will include a new apron with a qr reader for Pros, and mostly just a qr reader for Prem/LE as well as a wifi dongle. George said he doesn't know price but said he emphasized that he doesn't want this to be focused on making profit because he wants widespread adoption.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

QR codes are the path of least resistance and don't require new certification like a wireless connectivity would. I run the mobile development team at a golf simulator company and we use QR codes and 6-digit rotating codes because asking a user for another permission. Non tech savvy people know how to scan a QR code, it "just works".

Would an off the shelf Bluetooth or NFC module really require certification? Wouldn't the off the shelf radio module already have FCC and UL certifications and therefore Stern could just pull it in?

You're probably right on the QR code interaction being better for the normal player. I probably have a prejudice against them because of all the marketing people using them in such silly ways.

#45 2 years ago

Feels like it should've just been a wifi dongle and QR code on the apron (instruction card or sticker) itself instead of all of this complexity per game. Are they trying to save people needing a phone, like I'm going to print out my QR code at home since there's a reader in the game???

I heard George mention being able to have promotional QR codes that the game can read (free plays for good customers, etc.), but it feels like this is edge case-y and could've still been done via a stern phone app that just associates that with your account after you scan the promo QR code with your phone.

I can't imagine this will be less than $200 as an upgrade (probably higher)...Wifi dongle + QR code printout could've been like 30 bucks.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

that he doesn't want this to be focused on making profit

Hahaha

#47 2 years ago

Wonder how this will work for modded software like Pinball Browser...I'm guessing they will be able to now track you personally (Stern Connected / Insider ID) and see whether or not you modified the code in any way and then link that to Warranty service denials based on serial number of the game history running such code

#48 2 years ago

Im excited to see this out on location. Seems like a fun way to track achievements, scores, extra stuff, ect.

#49 2 years ago

I hear ya, but I'm open to believing that they won't gouge people (on this single item). I think there is much more value for Stern in this being in every machine than selling the individual units.

But we'll certainly see what they actually sell them for.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Great to hear. Would love nothing more than seeing you guys be creative here and not just check the "connected" checkbox.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball
Plastics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lake Elsinore, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
14,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Parker, CO
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ChainsawMods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods
Protection
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 300.00
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop
Backbox
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
$ 175.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 194.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,088 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 122.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.