20211104_113300 (resized).jpg
20211104_110835 (resized).jpg
20211103_202710 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2021-11-03-20-49-01 (resized).png
Screenshot_2021-10-11-08-52-23 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 17,460 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 350.
#10501 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

A dusty old Sky Jump dry storage for 15 years (with horribly flaking glass and average Cab)....what's the sane price?

Whats the playfield condition? Whoops Cactus beat me to the punch by a few seconds.

#10502 9 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Whats the playfield condition?

Haven't made the trip to look in person, but looks pretty decent from the blurry pic--no obvious wear marks. Seller claims it's good but is not a pinball guy.

#10503 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Yes I sent him a PM.
I think that a few of the comments are spot on is this thread. Most EM owners know how to work on their own machines. I can't pay someone or rely on someone else every time there is an issue. I think it was Robert who said that maybe owning an EM wasn't for me..I like them but I can always play them at PHOF or at Expo.

i think you just need to give your EM or EMs in general more time. it seems you enjoy playing them and once they're set up, they're pretty much trouble free. there's a reason these things are still around and playing as well now as they did when they were first made and that's because they generally don't break. things just go out of adjustment or need cleaning.
now if you have no interest in working on them then i understand but if you're inclined to get under the hood, the basic operation and how things are controlled is pretty easy to understand and there's plenty of help on here in case you need it. you'll also get an appreciation for the genius of the designers and how all the game's logic is controlled by switches,relays, and steppers as opposed to computer chips. really cool stuff.

#10504 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Not sure if the Repro backglasses are still available??

I think BGresto would be only option

#10505 9 years ago

Stange World, Small World (about 10 minutes away).

orangecounty.craigslist.org link

#10506 9 years ago

denver.craigslist.org link

Quoted from Vitty:

Whats the playfield condition?

He wants $400...

#10507 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

" target="_blank">denver.craigslist.org link

He wants $400...

Based on the condition of the head, the cabinet looks like it might be a bit rough. With a Backglass that toasted, I would not put it at $400 unless the playfield were pristine. Looks more like a $250 game or less. At $250-$300 for a BGResto, you still only have a $500-$600 game after all the work to bring it up to standards.

#10508 9 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

i think you just need to give your EM or EMs in general more time. it seems you enjoy playing them and once they're set up, they're pretty much trouble free. there's a reason these things are still around and playing as well now as they did when they were first made and that's because they generally don't break. things just go out of adjustment or need cleaning.
now if you have no interest in working on them then i understand but if you're inclined to get under the hood, the basic operation and how things are controlled is pretty easy to understand and there's plenty of help on here in case you need it. you'll also get an appreciation for the genius of the designers and how all the game's logic is controlled by switches,relays, and steppers as opposed to computer chips. really cool stuff.

I have no mechanical skills what so ever. So working on them myself is not an option. I usually break everything I try to fix lol.. Just makes it worse.

#10509 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Looks more like a $250 game or less.

That's almost exactly what I offered to test the waters if it was worth the drive. He wants to hold out for more, told him I'd check back if he didn't have any other offers.

#10510 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Stange World, Small World (about 10 minutes away).
orangecounty.craigslist.org link

This guy contacted me about selling this game.. I emailed him he sent pics and then I emailed him again and called he disappeared I thought it was a scam.

#10511 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

I have no mechanical skills what so ever. So working on them myself is not an option. I usually break everything I try to fix lol.. Just makes it worse.

If you find someone to do the "fixin" it's usually around $60/hr. I would guess a couple hours to get it running and maybe once or twice a year an hour or so maintenance...plan on $150 a year worst case scenario. I have had games that once dialed in, never need ANYTHING as long as you play them. When they fix it they can show you the absolute basics of how to clean a switch in 2 minutes...that's the most common upkeep item.

I wouldn't give up without even trying...you can always sell these things without much of a loss if any later if you give up.

#10512 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That's almost exactly what I offered to test the waters if it was worth the drive. He wants to hold out for more, told him I'd check back if he didn't have any other offers.

I would echo the $250ish mark Cactus threw out. If the backglass were better then it may be closer to his asking price. Very hard to tell playfield condition from the pictures they had. If the playfield were in real good shape then a bit more than $250.

#10513 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

If you find someone to do the "fixin" it's usually around $60/hr. I would guess a couple hours to get it running and maybe once or twice a year an hour or so maintenance...plan on $150 a year worst case scenario. I have had games that once dialed in, never need ANYTHING as long as you play them. When they fix it they can show you the absolute basics of how to clean a switch in 2 minutes...that's the most common upkeep item.
I wouldn't give up without even trying...you can always sell these things without much of a loss if any later if you give up.

+1
plus it's very simple mechanical devices you'll be dealing with. you'll need a couple screwdrivers and something to clean contacts with, that'll cover the vast majority of maintenance.

#10514 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

This guy contacted me about selling this game.. I emailed him he sent pics and then I emailed him again and called he disappeared I thought it was a scam.

You don't want a Strange World anyways. It's an awesome looking game, but the playing doesn't match the looks, and it's pricey because of being rare, not because it's great. That's the kind of thing for people with decently sized EM collections, who enjoy having variety and cool art, not a single playing machine.

It is very cool though.

#10515 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You don't want a Strange World anyways. It's an awesome looking game, but the playing doesn't match the looks, and it's pricey because of being rare, not because it's great. That's the kind of thing for people with decently sized EM collections, who enjoy having variety and cool art, not a single playing machine.
It is very cool though.

I agree, cool looking game but also suffers the same fate as games like C-37 and Top Card for instance. The game is just too easy and better suited for a machine on a route.

Now, the game you have, Atlantis... I don't think is in this category. Of course, depending on how you had it set up. And even though I wouldn't say it is the nicest example I have 'ever' seen... to me it really doesn't look that bad and think you would like it if you gave it a chance. Hit the Deck is a good game too but the thing is... they're both good games.

#10516 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

I agree, cool looking game but also suffers the same fate as games like C-37 and Top Card for instance. The game is just too easy and better suited for a machine on a route.

I'd probably bite at a C-37 at that price though, I won't lie.

#10517 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

mibs - $500 - centerville (ma?)
edit: nice touch with the score reels...
" target="_blank">capecod.craigslist.org link
image.jpg

Yeah, and alternated the red and white balls too! Smile and look pretty for the photos!

#10518 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

too bad you don't have room for more projects... there was one of these at allentown last year, and it was gorgeous (in addition to being fun)...
image.jpg

Can't quite see the asking price on that "Southern Belle". Can you zoom it in on your photo and let me know? That's a Nick Raschilla restoration job. His work is outstanding. As far as the one on CL, it's gone already.

#10519 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Can't quite see the asking price on that "Southern Belle". Can you zoom it in on your photo and let me know? That's a Nick Raschilla restoration job. His work is outstanding. As far as the one on CL, it's gone already.

$3500... i wanted it very badly, but was out of my price range...

it indeed is an outstanding restoration... i stood there and looked at it for a very long time...

#10520 9 years ago

Thanks Chris. Ack! It looked like $2000 from what I could see on the photo. Yeah, that's a high-rent game, but if you can swing that kind of scratch, I think it's worth it. I know the guy who brought it. I wonder if he still has it.

#10521 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Yes I sent him a PM.
I think that a few of the comments are spot on is this thread. Most EM owners know how to work on their own machines. I can't pay someone or rely on someone else every time there is an issue. I think it was Robert who said that maybe owning an EM wasn't for me..I like them but I can always play them at PHOF or at Expo.

Lisa,

Don't give up the EM fight. So you had a bad first experience. You should hear about my resored 1976 "Card Whiz" fiasco. It was 18 months ago and set me back to the tune of 1800 dollars after I sold it. (It still stings me) We all make mistakes. Like others have said once the game is up and running the game should be operational for years to come. The contacts clean themselves. Just make sure you start a game or two every few weeks so layers of dust don't take over your machine.

Trust me. 2 years ago I was very, very green at this. Now i own 5 EMs and I am slightly intermediate. I know my limitations and I learn something new everyday about the mechanics inside. Just be patient. Your Atlantis might sit for a week or two until someone local can find the time to get out there to help you out. Maybe a steak dinner will entice someone to get out there sooner. At this point you could hire someone to go through the game and get it up to snuff and playing.

After you play the game solid for a month then you can decide if you are going to keep the game or not. There should be several local people that can replace the bottom of your game. Gottlieb was notorious for having horrible bottom wood on their games in 1975. If you were local here to Dallas Texas we would have this guy Adrian rebuilding the bottom of your cabinet. A friend(s) or a few hundred dollars should have your game running and ready to go.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't make any hasty decisions.

#10522 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Thanks Chris. Ack! It looked like $2000 from what I could see on the photo. Yeah, that's a high-rent game, but if you can swing that kind of scratch, I think it's worth it. I know the guy who brought it. I wonder if he still has it.

i'd agree, i thought it was "worth" it, but i couldn't spend that much money... if it had been 2k, it would have been VERY VERY difficult to not buy it (read: it would be in my house right now)...

i hope that if he still does that it will be at the show again... not that i can afford it this year either, but i sure would like to see it again...

#10523 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Like others have said once the game is up and running the game should be operational for years to come. The contacts clean themselves. Just make sure you start a game or two every few weeks so layers of dust don't take over your machine.

yup...

and sometimes, they even "fix themselves"... when i took that shooter lane pic, i hadn't fired up the jacks open in over a month... i've been wearing out the target pool and pro football these days, plus my "standing" time is still somewhat limited...

turned it on, pushed the button... startup sequence failed... pushed the button 3 more times, still failed... pushed it a 5th time, and it completed, and played faultlessly for several games before i shut it back down (even beat it a couple times )....

this isn't the first time i've had something similar this happen (which is why i tried repeatedly pushing the button before resorting to actually debugging it)... sometimes, stuff just needs to be exercised a bit to get the kinks worked out...

#10524 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yup...
and sometimes, they even "fix themselves"... when i took that shooter lane pic, i hadn't fired up the jacks open in over a month... i've been wearing out the target pool and pro football these days, plus my "standing" time is still somewhat limited...
turned it on, pushed the button... startup sequence failed... pushed the button 3 more times, still failed... pushed it a 5th time, and it completed, and played faultlessly for several games before i shut it back down (even beat it a couple times )....
this isn't the first time i've had something similar this happen (which is why i tried repeatedly pushing the button before resorting to actually debugging it)... sometimes, stuff just needs to be exercised a bit to get the kinks worked out...

Everything seems to work fine except the right side the number 1 is lit at start up but then no other number lights up. I have changed the bulbs made sure they were in good. I just looked at the fuses they seem fine.. My uneducated guess would be soldering needs to be done on where the wires connect to the light sockets. Wish I knew how to solder lol

#10525 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Everything seems to work fine except the right side the number 1 is lit at start up but then no other number lights up. I have changed the bulbs made sure they were in good. I just looked at the fuses they seem fine.. My uneducated guess would be soldering needs to be done on where the wires connect to the light sockets. Wish I knew how to solder lol

Sounds like the stepper may be gummed up. It resides on the bottom side of the playfield. There are two coils on it. One should ratchet increment the numbers one at a time when actuated by hand. The other should reset the wiper back to the starting position when actuated by hand. Does this mech function as I have described when manually actuated?

#10526 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

From memory only number 1 lights up at start of game? Then you collect number 1 and number 2 lights up and so on until 9! Then it's specials time.

#10527 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Does the game advance the sequence though? (hard to tell, if the numbers simply don't light). It may be a simple adjustment on the advance stepper unit. If this is greek to you, check out clay's pinrepair guides. The best first source on info imo.

#10528 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Only live once, life not a dress rehearsal, all that kind of stuff. Personally I don't get why woodrails aren't the highest price of all em's as they are older, less around/rare, and have the best artwork and some of the best gameplay.

Anyways, the upside is that when they come up for sale, there isn't an 'Atlantis' like Q for them!

#10529 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

From memory only number 1 lights up at start of game? Then you collect number 1 and number 2 lights up and so on until 9! Then it's specials time.

I do not see the lights visually advance because they are not lit but number 1 does go dark so I am assuming it is advancing just not lighting up..

#10530 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Everything seems to work fine except the right side the number 1 is lit at start up but then no other number lights up.

With the glass off and a game started, wipe over the #1...does #2 then light up? If not this is just the stepper being either dirty and or misaligned slightly---not lighting issue or solder--much simpler. Confirm this and it's very easy to walk you through it.

#10531 9 years ago

You are aware the lights only light up 1 at a time...correct?

#10532 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

With the glass off and a game started, wipe over the #1...does #2 then light up? If not this is just the stepper being either dirty and or misaligned slightly---not lighting issue or solder--much simpler. Confirm this and it's very easy to walk you through it.

No it does not.

#10533 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

No it does not.

A pic of a stepper from pinrepair--not your EXACT unit but same idea:

STEP.jpgSTEP.jpg

Take rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip(s) and wipe all those rivets off until you get no gunk coming off them. That's about as basic a cleaning as you can give it but it'll help. The "pegs" that stick through the outer disc "wipe" across the rivets on the larger square piece. That's the issue with yours I'm guessing--they are dirty and don't line up.

If it doesn't advance number still(which it probably won't) then you can move on to the slightly more scary for a beginner task of barely loosening the 3 screws on that triangle and gently rotating the disc a FRACTION until the rivets line up---which if done with the machine on you can easily see the number light lighting up as you BARELY adjust the stepper.

Just make sure you don't loosen the screws all the way or rotate the disc too far in either direction...it makes it more involved to line back up(still no big deal).

#10534 9 years ago

Since I sold my Atlanti I can't remember but I think the 1-9 Stepper unit is on the right side towards the top of the playfield--attached to the playfield and not in the bottom of the game.

#10535 9 years ago

Okay I see how it rotates from number to number but not that I have touched it #1 doesn't light up so I am confident it's this device that's the problem.

#10536 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Okay I see how it rotates from number to number but not that I have touched it #1 doesn't light up so I am confident it's this device that's the problem.

You can, with the game on, rotate the disc slightly by hand---no loosening screws etc.--and watch the number light. You should be able to manually nudge it into position to get the light on just to give you an idea of what you want to do....unless it's so dirty it's not making contact at all.

#10537 9 years ago

Not sure what I am nudging here are photos

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-801.jpgimage-801.jpg
image-979.jpgimage-979.jpg

#10538 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Not sure what I am nudging here are photos

Last photo, the big round brown disc with silver triangle and 3 screws on front. That circular piece rotates around clicking through your 1-9 lights until it maxes out. With the game on, grab the circular disc and manually rotate/twist it a quarter inch or so--just a bit to see if it gets it lined up...while at the same time craning your neck so you can see the 1-9 rollovers.

#10539 9 years ago

It won't stay when I rotate it

#10540 9 years ago

Alternately, you can look "between" the circular disc and the square it is attached to and rotates on. You should see ?pairs of bronze-ish looking rivets on the face of the square piece. The "pegs" that stick through that circular piece--the little spring loaded bronze looking things---the ends of those pegs should be resting on the rivets that are stationary on the face of the square piece. As it clicks to the next number/position, the pegs need to be touching the rivets...they may touch one set but be "off" a little on the next--which is where the easy adjust comes in--OR the face of the rivets could be dirty so no contact.

So you can just look and see if it's lined up and touching those rivets as well.

#10541 9 years ago

Okay I see what you are talking about how do you line them up and make it stay

#10542 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

It "clicks" to the next position--you can see the big gear with teeth on the back.

You don't need it to stay--or even go to the next position just to check if this is the problem. You move it slightly--just a little--and watch the number light. So if you move it forward a little and hold it in place when the number light comes on this will tell you that it's out of adjustment.

If you want to see it move a full space and check if it clicks in on the next number you can swipe the rollover on the playfield or manually push in and release the plunger on that coil on the backside.

#10543 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

how do you line them up and make it stay

IF you were able to get the numbers to light up by moving it slightly then it is out of adjustment. Take a sharpie and make a mark on the edge of the round disc AND on the stationary square plate--lining them up(this is in case you freak out and rotate the disc too far or it falls off while loosening--gives you "home" position). I would restart the game so it goes to the home/#1 position for you(before you make the marks maybe), then you slightly loosen those 3 screws on the triangle without taking them out. Loosen just enough until you get that round disc to move---the screw holes have a gap on either edge so you can rotate the disc a little either way to adjust. Hold on to the disc while it's loosened a little, rotate it(a FRACTION) until the correct number lights up/makes contact. Hold it steady in that exact position and tighten those screws. Then run through the numbers and see if it lights all of them...it may get a bit off in later numbers which just means you'll have to try again with adjust--no big deal.

#10545 9 years ago

Okay I was able to get number lined up and lit up but when I roll the ball over number 1 the stepper isn't moving the back of it is the coil and what not but not the front part

#10546 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

That is why it won't advance past the "1" position.

There are two arms that need to pivot freely that allow this unit to advance properly. They allow it to ratchet one position at a time. If they are not engaged the unit will free wheel as you are seeing.

Refer to the image in the previous post. The pivot positioned where A-1059 is pointing needs to pivot freely. If it doesn't, get some Tri-Flow teflon lube in a 2oz squeeze bottle at a bicycle shop and apply it to both sides of this member using the tube and work the pivot action back and forth until it moves freely.

Then, the member that A-517 spring is attached to (the small tab end) also needs to pivot freely. you can see the pivot position of that member at the circle on the side of it. One of these are probably the reason your stepper unit will not advance properly. Apply more lube here and work them loose and you should be good to go in terms of the normal operation of this unit. The rivet plate still needs to be scrubbed with a scotch brite pad and then some SuperLube applied for longevity. Get SuperLube at Harbor Freight. About $7 a tube.

#10547 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

If they are not engaged the unit will free wheel as you are seeing

Does it spin around--the round disc--and not click in to place at all?

#10548 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Okay I was able to get number lined up and lit up but when I roll the ball over number 1 the stepper isn't moving the back of it is the coil and what not but not the front part

If you manually press in the plunger on that coil and release it quickly, does that gear ratchet a position?

#10549 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

That is why it won't advance past the "1" position.
There are two arms that need to pivot freely that allow this unit to advance properly. They allow it to ratchet one position at a time. If they are not engaged the unit will free wheel as you are seeing.
Refer to the image in the previous post. The pivot positioned where A-1059 is pointing needs to pivot freely. If it doesn't, get some Tri-Flow teflon lube in a 2oz squeeze bottle at a bicycle shop and apply it to both sides of this member using the tube and work the pivot action back and forth until it moves freely.
Then, the member that A-517 spring is attached to (the small tab end) also needs to pivot freely. you can see the pivot position of that member at the circle on the side of it. One of these are probably the reason your stepper unit will not advance properly. Apply more lube here and work them loose and you should be good to go in terms of the normal operation of this unit. The rivet plate still needs to be scrubbed with a scotch brite pad and then some SuperLube applied for longevity. Get SuperLube at Harbor Freight. About $7 a tube.

Okay I manually helped these levers and the number advanced. If I lube it as stated and it still doesn't move freely is there something that causes it to move that's not fire right? Just trying to cover all bases.

#10550 9 years ago

Getting these arms to move freely should fix this issue. The arms have to move freely so the unit will function properly. It ratchets one step at a time to advance the numbers. Then it rotates all the way back at the start of the next game. the fact that you can move it forward and it swings back shows it will function correctly when you get these two pivots working freely.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Greenville, SC
850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saratoga Springs, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 17,460 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 350.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-cl/page/211 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.