Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,292 posts
  • 208 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by cdnpinbacon
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240426_153028 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1407 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1400 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    bobboy dazzler (resized).png
    oak_island_treasure_box_ai2 (resized).png
    miriam (resized).jpg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2946 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 2,292 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 46.
    #1701 1 year ago

Damn, was hoping with all this activity they found something.

#1702 1 year ago

Well I recorded the episode and haven't watched it yet. But by reading the comments so far, it doesn't sound like I need to. How many times times can you listen to, "Could this be..."?

#1703 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Well I recorded the episode and haven't watched it yet. But by reading the comments so far, it doesn't sound like I need to. How many times times can you listen to, "Could this be..."?

I enjoy the show for the use of technology, the under water cameras, GPR, and the seismic surveys. Aside from that of course I want to see a huge cash of treasure.

#1704 1 year ago

I stopped watching last year, but would visit this thread just to see what was going on and chime in on the banter.

I will take a look again this year just to see what's up. Even when I watch, it's really just background noise while I waste my time on Pinside or tinkering in the house.

#1705 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

It’s worth watching. I mean the 2 hours could have probably been condensed down to like 45 minutes, but that is par for the course.

#1706 1 year ago

Too bad the 15th century gold coin that they've spent millions pursuing, was found by a simple metal detector outing in Newfoundland instead:

https://www.gov.nl.ca/releases/2022/tcar/1109n05/

#1707 1 year ago
    Quoted from JonCBrand:

I would (wood?) almost pay for a 10 minute episode that skips all the flashbacks.

I watch on you tube, each episode is 10-15minutes max

#1708 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I watch on you tube, each episode is 10-15minutes max

Well then I guess Im doing that next episode.
    Thank you

#1709 1 year ago

Beyond Oak Island seems to have some life, since all of the 'other guys' are actually on to something in their own worlds....

#1710 1 year ago

The spin off shows tell me where the original show is headed.

#1711 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

The spin off shows tell me where the original show is headed.

I think it is just a huge money maker. It hits a sweet spot for demographics.

#1712 1 year ago

Tonight reminded me why I lost interest in the show last season.

Spoiler alert below.

I saw a road trip for 30 min., then towards the end, I saw the brothers tell everybody about the same road trip I saw at the beginning of the episode.

#1713 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Spoiler alert below.
    I saw a road trip for 30 min., then towards the end, I saw the brothers tell everybody about the same road trip I saw at the beginning of the episode.

I forgot to watch but thanks for saving my 45 min of my life.

#1714 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Spoiler alert below.

So they went to look at a cave in England? I'm looking to save some time...

#1715 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

So they went to look at a cave in England? I'm looking to save some time...

Not a cave per se (i.e. not on the side of a mountain), more of a tunnel/or a cavern (manmade) beneath a city. I started to get bored early on so maybe I'm leaving out some important details. Might be Templar related.

There was a short segment w/Gary finding something when metal detecting and Jack Begley acting excited.

2 weeks later
    #1716 1 year ago

I just caught up with this week’s episode. There’s a lot of older iron at lot 32. It will be interesting to see what these new Dumas contractors do at the Garden Shaft. It’s enough to keep me watching (but fast forwarding judiciously).

What gets the historian in me grinding my teeth, (ΦΑΘ), is every time the voice over guy describes something as “ancient”. The oldest potential artifacts they have uncovered to date are late medieval at best (possibly indigenous artifacts excepted).

#1717 1 year ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

the voice over guy

I wish they would get rid of that guy, it gets old in a hurry. The show is interesting, except for him with all of that crap talking about "could it be".

#1718 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I wish they would get rid of that guy, it gets old in a hurry. The show is interesting, except for him with all of that crap talking about "could it be".

Sooooo much VO, and a vast majority of it is unnecessary

2 weeks later
    #1719 1 year ago

I just caught up on all episodes in the last week.

Don’t you ever wonder why they didn’t use some of this sonar/camera technology previously? I’m assuming it’s somewhat new, but can’t be 2022 new.

Remember they sent divers down a few different caissons, but the sediment stirred up so bad they couldn’t see anything. Now they have a camera that is showing beams crystal clear.

When they finish this new shaft, it will be interesting on how they use it (dig deeper, go sideways, etc.)

#1720 1 year ago

I record it every week on my DVR. I watch it on 4X speed. I saw the camera and thought the same thing!

Quoted from AFM95:

I just caught up on all episodes in the last week.
    Don’t you ever wonder why they didn’t use some of this sonar/camera technology previously? I’m assuming it’s somewhat new, but can’t be 2022 new.
    Remember they sent divers down a few different caissons, but the sediment stirred up so bad they couldn’t see anything. Now they have a camera that is showing beams crystal clear.
    When they finish this new shaft, it will be interesting on how they use it (dig deeper, go sideways, etc.)

#1721 1 year ago

Was there a new episode on the 27th? I couldn't find it last night.

#1722 1 year ago

Nope

#1723 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

...Don’t you ever wonder why they didn’t use some of this sonar/camera technology previously? I’m assuming it’s somewhat new, but can’t be 2022 new...

They used a camera once before but it broke.

I've mentioned sort of the same thing before. They get spun up over a location and some scheme (i.e. Let's use a camera!) to investigate down a drill hole. Something happens (i.e. camera conks out). "Well, we're done. Let's call it a day." - never to revisit again. Nothing - nada, zippo. A good chunk of the show devoted to it, then it's history. No "Let's fix the camera and come back tomorrow." Very frustrating to watch.

If it was me, every single time they hit a void, I'd be dropping a camera down the shaft once the dirt in the water settled.

Last week's (or maybe the week before) trick was to get real close to a timber w/a camera to make the 'tunnel' look a lot bigger than it really was.

#1724 1 year ago

Wouldn't there have to be some hidden surface entrance? Who would bury vast treasure and not have an easier way to recover it if needed?

#1725 1 year ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Wouldn't there have to be some hidden surface entrance? Who would bury vast treasure and not have an easier way to recover it if needed?

There has to be. But we can't show that yet, can we?

#1726 1 year ago

It is because nothing is there. People wouldn't have had the technology to dig that deep anyways, or to design flood tunnels and allow their treasures to be accessed. No way it happened.

I vote for the announcer guy to be the last needed death before the mystery is solved.

#1727 1 year ago

I think there was something there but Ball spent it all. He became way too Rich while living there. Yes, they absolutely had that technology. Mesopotamia brought water in. Why couldn’t they?
    Absolutely! Throw the announcer straight down the shaft and don’t let him up until he finds an empty vault or drowns! Lol

Quoted from DanMarino:It is because nothing is there. People wouldn't have had the technology to dig that deep anyways, or to design flood tunnels and allow their treasures to be accessed. No way it happened.
    I vote for the announcer guy to be the last needed death before the mystery is solved.

#1728 1 year ago

It would be cool if there was something there. I remember being in elementary school as a kid and buying a book about Oak Island. I think the book talked about unsolved mysteries or treasures and there was a chapter about Oak Island.

I work in a 10 story office building that is over 100 feet tall. Seems impossible that some pirates dug a perfectly engineered pit with booby traps straight down on that island to hide their treasure. Masons/templars did it? Vikings did it? French or English did it? Seems impossible and a fantasy. Sure someone could have put some money or treasure in a hole on the island. I just don't see how the elaborate pit was constructed, why it would be constructed, or how any of it could ever be retrieved if it was ever built by hand.

I would like to believe, but it isn't adding up for me.

#1729 1 year ago

French drains are still used to this day. We manage condominiums that have them for property drainage. Most of it makes sense to me. I just think that it was a myth that the 3 guys saw someone there and started digging. I think that the story of people watching pirates move dirt and materials spread around and the three guys decided to have a look around. I think that Ball really got lucky and tried farming an area away from “the money pit” and accidentally found the stash that was buried there. The pirates would need quick access to it. The money pit was part of the story the pirates told to the locals to keep them away from their actual stash. Built up several different “One eyed Willy” traps to keep these guys off of their scent. I was a kid with my friends and dug a pit 15- 20 feet deep and 10 feet wide we stole plywood and tons of 2X4’s from the houses being built and made an underground fort that stayed hidden buy a tree that had fallen around the entrance. It was there until they built houses where the forest was.

Quoted from DanMarino:It would be cool if there was something there. I remember being in elementary school as a kid and buying a book about Oak Island. I think the book talked about unsolved mysteries or treasures and there was a chapter about Oak Island.
    I work in a 10 story office building that is over 100 feet tall. Seems impossible that some pirates dug a perfectly engineered pit with booby traps straight down on that island to hide their treasure. Masons/templars did it? Vikings did it? French or English did it? Seems impossible and a fantasy. Sure someone could have put some money or treasure in a hole on the island. I just don't see how the elaborate pit was constructed, why it would be constructed, or how any of it could ever be retrieved if it was ever built by hand.
    I would like to believe, but it isn't adding up for me.

#1730 1 year ago

Why didn't you dig a 100 foot to 125 foot vertical shaft with protective traps?

That's cool you guys dug so deep without hitting boulders, rock ledges, or the water table.

How did you guys get in and out of the pit/fort? Sounds like it was pretty cool. I was looking for a thumbs up emoji.

#1731 1 year ago

We are in Windsor it’s all roots, dirt sand and clay. We dug it out to meet up with the angled knocked down tree. Wasn’t hard. Lots of fun though. I’m glad we didn’t have these phones then but it’s times like these I wish we did.

#1732 1 year ago

It would be cool to have photos of it.

#1733 1 year ago

I saw a stone cross in the underwater camera shots at the last few minutes of the show. No discussion from them on that. Watching live missed my chance at a picture. I'll wait for it on demand to grab a shot.

#1734 1 year ago
    Quoted from JonCBrand:

I saw a stone cross in the underwater camera shots at the last few minutes of the show. No discussion from them on that. Watching live missed my chance at a picture. I'll wait for it on demand to grab a shot.

Bottom left?

ED3E30E9-AEA9-4A57-A9A6-FE857FF83B63.jpegED3E30E9-AEA9-4A57-A9A6-FE857FF83B63.jpeg
    #1735 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Bottom left?
    [quoted image]

Yes!!

#1736 1 year ago

It’s almost so obvious that it looks purposely placed there (although we know it wasn’t, unless they dropped it down the hole).

#1737 1 year ago

If they did mention the cross in the show, it would go something like this…

Narrator: “A cross? 103 feet underground? (Insert dramatization video) Could this be the exact cross that Jesus Christ held in his hand during his entire life? During the twelfth century, the Knights Templar have been known to protect priceless religious artifacts such as…”

#1738 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Bottom left?
    [quoted image]

I cleaned up the image, it's a skull to the left. Nothing else of importance spotted. Oak Island Team decided to call it a day and move on to more metal detecting and wadding in the swamp next week.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1739 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I cleaned up the image, it's a skull to the left. Nothing else of importance spotted. Oak Island Team decided to call it a day and move on to more metal detecting and wadding in the swamp next week.
    [quoted image]

#1740 1 year ago

The brass alloy artifact is very interesting.
    Treasure or not, find me that 1480s Portuguese Proof, and rewrite History!
    (Vatican Maps show this)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    3 weeks later
    #1741 1 year ago

http://www.piratesurgeon.com/pages/living_room/livingroom_models.htm

I was about this old when I first read the oak island story. And here we are.

Sorry for the slight digression.

06E78B77-0554-48ED-933F-131C5C09018B (resized).jpeg06E78B77-0554-48ED-933F-131C5C09018B (resized).jpegE502CA75-78EF-4424-B550-8FA11AAFA0B4 (resized).jpegE502CA75-78EF-4424-B550-8FA11AAFA0B4 (resized).jpeg
    #1742 1 year ago

Will they ever find anything that really worth the money they have spent lol

#1743 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Will they ever find anything that really worth the money they have spent lol

Pretty sure that The History Channel is paying for at least a portion of the expenses.

#1744 1 year ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Pretty sure that The History Channel is paying for at least a portion of the expenses.

Ya for sure it gets paid for and they have fun lol

#1745 1 year ago

Ok, question for the group.

Will they find actually treasure this year?

When I say treasure, I mean at least a handful of gold/silver coins or an artifact appraised more than $100K?

#1746 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

When I say treasure, I mean at least a handful of gold/silver coins or an artifact appraised more than $100K?

Today's the day mate, Today's the day - Gary Drayton

#1747 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I’m convinced the only “treasure” they will find, will be re-writing the story of North America. It’s obvious that something happened on that island long ago, and they might even unearth more cool items, but I highly doubt they will find piles of gold coins or even enough be be worth a $100k.

I think Samuel ball found something, because his story is pretty wild in itself

#1748 1 year ago

I think Samuel Ball found all of it. If they do find something it will be whatever is left of what he didn’t take because he was saving it for his family. They really don’t poke around the whole island or his property enough. I think if they do, they will find an entrance to the treasure vault or the place he stashed it away. The government will probably take most if not all of whatever the brothers find. Nevermind taxes crossing the border with it.

Quoted from Luckydogg420:I’m convinced the only “treasure” they will find, will be re-writing the story of North America. It’s obvious that something happened on that island long ago, and they might even unearth more cool items, but I highly doubt they will find piles of gold coins or even enough be be worth a $100k.
    I think Samuel ball found something, because his story is pretty wild in itself

#1749 1 year ago

Did they find any muddy wood yet?

#1750 1 year ago

They won't find anything the show it self pays them all too play

There are 2,292 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-oak-islandare-you-watching/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.