Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,684 posts
  • 190 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 66 days ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the_more_you_know_nbc.gif
    D8FB4EB5-15B0-44FE-8DB4-8AB417C14C34 (resized).jpeg
    20220220_162727 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7A3822E3-9C55-4D56-AB2B-9B7F1F1503E9 (resized).jpeg
    E0E404CE-C4F0-4B20-ABBD-3A454734C2FF.gif
    E9AED4BF-36B7-4EA8-B224-32B985A66A09.gif
    20131224_132128 (resized).jpg
    pic (resized).PNG
    Shock kitten.gif

There are 1,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 34.
    #1651 3 months ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Really starting to feel for these guys. The reality that there may be nothing there is starting to show on their faces.
    I would imagine they are gearing up for another run at this since the weather is getting warmer for the next season. At some point they have to call it a good try and just let the Island become a tourist destination. Still holding out hope.

Yeah... I think you could see it last night. They try to look optimisitc, but they are striking out with some pretty big swings. I really do feel for them.

#1652 3 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Yeah... I think you could see it last night. They try to look optimisitc, but they are striking out with some pretty big swings. I really do feel for them.

I don't feel for them at all. They have milked this bullshit far enough.

#1653 3 months ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

I don't feel for them at all. They have milked this bullshit far enough.

They obviously have moved on. They are now on spin off treasure hunt shows earning $$$. And NO, I'm not watching them.

#1654 3 months ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

They are now on spin off treasure hunt shows earning $$$. And NO, I'm not watching them.

The first one with the dude that finds steamships in cornfields was really good, other than that you have not missed anything.

I actually turned the last one off halfway through it, it was obviously just tourist nonsense.

#1655 3 months ago

This show is pretty amazing, not necessarily for what they find or don't find, but the effect it has on people. It seems to draw people to it that want to make comments like "They're not going to find anything!" or "They're milking it for money!" You seem to be missing anything of value from the show but still want to go negative on it. why watch if you don't enjoy it?

I'll tell you what I see. This is just my opinion, what do I know? The story from 1795 is suspicious, but we know around 1849 a reporter was out there writing about the digging at the time. Old timers at the time, told him the story and it was printed in the paper in 1849, so we know there was at least a Hoax, or some reason people were searching at that time. They haven't found anything much of value that entire time, but the real story is how it consumes people's lives. Some of them are doing it for the money, but a lot of them have done it for the mystery, which is the same reason people watch it.

The real story of the show isn't whether or not they'll find anything, it's why they even want to (or you want to watch it). Dan Blankenship went there in the 1960's, decided he thought there was a cave 250 feet below ground nowhere near the money pit, decided he wanted to dig down to it, then with the help or 1 or 2 people dug a hole 10 feet wide and 230 feet deep to Bedrock. Then he drilled a passage 21" wide through the bedrock into the cave, and dove 200 feet underwater, through that narrow passage into the cave, and walked around. He did this on TEN SEPERATE OCCASIONS. Why? .... because he wanted to. Just the sheer amount of determination that would take is mind blowing to me. I think he was crazy, but I respect the guy.

This is how skyscrapers were invented. Some guy like Dan Blankenship decided he wanted to put his house on top of somebody else's house.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The story's probably nonsense, but the only way they'll know if it is is by doing exactly what the brothers are doing. I admire that they were able to hook the History channel into funding all this. If you think Marty is paying for anything on Oak Island you must have stopped watching in the first season. It's still consistently one of the History Channel's top rated shows... As a matter of fact, if you check out a graph at say this link : https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-tuesday-3-8-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Last week it was the #3 rated show on cable (On Tuesday Night), behind two news programs. They're killing it. And they're 9 seasons in. I don't like the History channel's production of the show or the horrible narrator but the brothers I admire, and I don't think either one of them would lie or misrepresent something.

So I'll keep watching, it's interesting to me even though they don't find anything. I like when they show the history of what other 'searchers' did and the remains of their work still on the island, even though most of them have passed on. That's cool to me.

A lot of you seem smart enough to figure out it's a Hoax but not smart enough to figure out the real story is about two brothers doing something just because they want to, even if smug know it alls laugh at them.

#1656 3 months ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I wonder if the brothers abandon the search they will leave the island full of huge holes. Will they smooth everything over and re plant trees?

They've actually shown some of this on the show. From time to time they do a behind the scenes look at some of what's gone on and not went on the regular episodes. Historically the island was full of Oak trees, they've replanted a lot of these down near the cove where they put the coffer dam and then removed it a few seasons ago. The actual cove has been completely restored back to how it was 30 or 40 years ago... the actual holes they drill in the money pit area, some of them are capped off if they believe they'll need them in the future, and some are actually completely filled in. I think last week the large 10 foot can they put down, they showed the entire thing was backfilled after they finished and moved onto another site.

There are a couple big holes from previous explorers, there was a 'cave in pit' about halfway between the money pit and Smith's cove that someone plowing a field fell into back in the 1800's that is actually still there, and there is a large pit full of water just south of the money pit near the shore that nobody's ever really figured out where it came from. One of the things Dunfield did when he dug up the whole end of the island was he extensively dug up that pit thinking there must be something in that area, but nothing major was found, just the typical stuff like they're finding now (old fasteners, wood, leather, etc.).

So those two large pits are still there, you can see them in some of the aerial shots they do of the island on the show. Blanenship's "10X" or whatever it was named is also still there with a platform over it.

#1657 3 months ago

Phhht..hey man watcha doin? Phhht..whooshh
    Smokin a biggie on Toke island

#1658 3 months ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

This show is pretty amazing, not necessarily for what they find or don't find, but the effect it has on people. It seems to draw people to it that want to make comments like "They're not going to find anything!" or "They're milking it for money!" You seem to be missing anything of value from the show but still want to go negative on it. why watch if you don't enjoy it?
    I'll tell you what I see. This is just my opinion, what do I know? The story from 1795 is suspicious, but we know around 1849 a reporter was out there writing about the digging at the time. Old timers at the time, told him the story and it was printed in the paper in 1849, so we know there was at least a Hoax, or some reason people were searching at that time. They haven't found anything much of value that entire time, but the real story is how it consumes people's lives. Some of them are doing it for the money, but a lot of them have done it for the mystery, which is the same reason people watch it.
    The real story of the show isn't whether or not they'll find anything, it's why they even want to (or you want to watch it). Dan Blankenship went there in the 1960's, decided he thought there was a cave 250 feet below ground nowhere near the money pit, decided he wanted to dig down to it, then with the help or 1 or 2 people dug a hole 10 feet wide and 230 feet deep to Bedrock. Then he drilled a passage 21" wide through the bedrock into the cave, and dove 200 feet underwater, through that narrow passage into the cave, and walked around. He did this on TEN SEPERATE OCCASIONS. Why? .... because he wanted to. Just the sheer amount of determination that would take is mind blowing to me. I think he was crazy, but I respect the guy.
    This is how skyscrapers were invented. Some guy like Dan Blankenship decided he wanted to put his house on top of somebody else's house.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The story's probably nonsense, but the only way they'll know if it is is by doing exactly what the brothers are doing. I admire that they were able to hook the History channel into funding all this. If you think Marty is paying for anything on Oak Island you must have stopped watching in the first season. It's still consistently one of the History Channel's top rated shows... As a matter of fact, if you check out a graph at say this link : https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-tuesday-3-8-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html
    Last week it was the #3 rated show on cable (On Tuesday Night), behind two news programs. They're killing it. And they're 9 seasons in. I don't like the History channel's production of the show or the horrible narrator but the brothers I admire, and I don't think either one of them would lie or misrepresent something.
    So I'll keep watching, it's interesting to me even though they don't find anything. I like when they show the history of what other 'searchers' did and the remains of their work still on the island, even though most of them have passed on. That's cool to me.
    A lot of you seem smart enough to figure out it's a Hoax but not smart enough to figure out the real story is about two brothers doing something just because they want to, even if smug know it alls laugh at them.

I’ve complained about this season being dull (because it has been) but I applaud these guys for following their dream. They bought this island before there was any dream of a show.

I am 100% rooting that they find something.

#1659 3 months ago

Any guesses to what they find tonight?

#1660 3 months ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Any guesses to what they find tonight?

Mud.

#1661 3 months ago

They already found the gold when they signed the contract for the series.

#1662 3 months ago

"Could it be?", "Holy Moly would you look at that", "The fellowship of the dig", that one gets me.
    Name your favorite quotes.

#1663 3 months ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

"Could it be?", "Holy Moly would you look at that", "The fellowship of the dig", that one gets me.
    Name your favorite quotes.

Today is the day gents, Today is the day.

Great optimism though

#1664 3 months ago

Should the official oak island song be "tonight's the night" by rod Stewart last seen filling pot holes

#1665 3 months ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

T ... I think last week the large 10 foot can they put down, they showed the entire thing was backfilled after they finished and moved onto another site.

Yes it was in last weeks episode. It was shown as they were preparing the next spot to put the cans down for a new hole.

#1666 3 months ago

Was I the only one that took notice of Jack Begley's new homeless-guy look? Seems a bit more homeless looking than he did for the first HUNDRED episodes... (at least it seemed like a hundred). His bio kinda reveals his other hobby too: a drone pilot for Remote Energy Solutions in Traverse City, Michigan or in Reno Nevada (take your pick).

#1667 3 months ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Was I the only one that took notice of Jack Begley's new homeless-guy look? Seems a bit more homeless looking than he did for the first HUNDRED episodes... (at least it seemed like a hundred). His bio kinda reveals his other hobby too: a drone pilot for Remote Energy Solutions in Traverse City, Michigan or in Reno Nevada (take your pick).

They all look like they need a hot shower, time with a woman and some weeks away from the island. I know we are watching the end of the season and they are / were heading into winter.

I watched the last 20 minutes. Best line of the night: Gary finds the axe or something like that and he yells over to Billy in the excavator "Axe head, right Billy?" Billy said 'yep'. LOL

#1669 3 months ago

I have the show on right now, but I have not even been watching it tonight. I am about done with this show.

#1670 3 months ago

I record it now. I mainly watch it on 4x. I play normally when something is in their hands.

#1671 3 months ago

I'm just waiting for them to reach the "money pit" and find that it's filled with old Atari E.T. cartridges.

#1672 3 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

I'm just waiting for them to reach the "money pit" and find that it's filled with old Atari E.T. cartridges.

Oak Island is in Nova Scotia not Alamogordo, New Mexico.

the_more_you_know_nbc.gif

#1673 3 months ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Oak Island is in Nova Scotia not Alamogordo, New Mexico.
    [quoted image]

Thanks for the geography lesson, but it was a joke...(thought that it would be obvious - but I guess not.)

#1674 3 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Thanks for the geography lesson, but it was a joke...(thought that it would be obvious - but I guess not.)

... the reply was a Joke also.

#1675 3 months ago

What's this??? The head of a friar tuck hair head.
    Keep digging!!!! It's a fat man in his 50s! ..he's still Alive! Dig him out!

#1676 3 months ago

More mud, more steel cylinders permananetly stuck in the ground. more wood.

Didn't the boys state at the beginning of this season that they were going to focus back on the pit treasure rather than doing historical archaeology? Yet they are still looking for sunken ships and stuff all over the island?

#1677 3 months ago

Holy Schimole. That's a top pocket find

#1678 3 months ago

Why wasn't the "Eye of the Swamp" investigated more thoroughly? There is something odd about that area. I don't understand the "Smash and Grab" technique used with these cans. Historically significant items would surely be destroyed.

#1679 3 months ago

I get that the big dig would be very expensive, but it would certainly give them the answers they are looking for. They're making educated guesses and it's certainly not working.

Maybe the History Channel doesn't want the big dig so the show will run another 20+ years.

#1680 3 months ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Why wasn't the "Eye of the Swamp" investigated more thoroughly? There is something odd about that area. I don't understand the "Smash and Grab" technique used with these cans. Historically significant items would surely be destroyed.

Nothing is definitive, by they believe there was a rock wall around the hole, and it may have started as a fresh water spring fed well. Its also an assumption that the Portuguese used it in the early 1500s, as it is likely they planted cork trees on the island.
    Its original use likely changed with the British Encampments, during the wars.

What the brothers have solved, is prior to their work, it was assumed no one had a reason to camp, bring ships,
    and set up docks, although it was suggested.

Maybe their was a short term storage of wealth, or maybe just a rumor, as the war activity
    would have been strategically secret.

All Logical, human explanations.

The only 2 unknowns is if they can prove Portugal present in the 1480s, 20 years earlier as some coastal maps suggest,
    or the possibility of any valuables left, or buried...which seems unlikely.

The Bones, leather, bits of paper, to me, all wash in at the ground level through open seawater channels.
    The stuff in the swamp, deposited by storms from all the Naval Battles.
    Everything else is left on the ground from human occupation.

We simply didnt know of its use historically.

The Finger Drains arent explained, but what if they were simply to drain water out instead of in....?

#1681 3 months ago

I feel like this show has gotten better. Seems like it went from the having the credibility of big foot hunters and ancient aliens to being more legit. They don't slam the same dumb ideas as leading questions (as much) down your throat. Like that graphic of them showing them pushing the vault out of the way they showed every episode for three years straight.

I am about 95% sure they are not going to find any treasurer. It is still interesting to watch and they toned down the annoying announcer.

#1682 3 months ago

Maybe the Oak Island team should try this.

They did something similar, but the camera broke. So instead of fixing it, they decided to 'call it a day'.

3 weeks later
    #1683 66 days ago

Is tonight the last episode of the season?

I'm not sure if I'm going to be watching next season. Nine years might be enough for me.

#1684 66 days ago

The only conclusions so far have been that the Portuguese were there between 1480 and 1550,
    likely planted cork trees as a coastal marker, found fresh water, and a place to dock, and create pitch.
    Perhaps, an early location that grew a bit when more ships came over time.

Then, the British set up camp there. They built the docks, used the cork, and could identify the land easily, hide ships, supplies, and repairs, during the war(s).

Maybe some treasure was there. They discovered history. Built the premise of the Ark, or Shakespeare's work,
    or Templar treasure, to me, pushed the button too far, hooked people, and then disappointed them.

Im just glad that having followed this for 50 years, Im satisfied that there was more to the story.
    Even if they find some Treasure, it doesnt matter much. Ive seen enough.

There are 1,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!