(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240427_141245_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240427-163915 (resized).png
    IMG_0732 (resized).JPG
    12.jpg
    1.jpg
    Stories.gif
    Pinside_market_175921_1 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831025059 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1713831007017 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240413-172441 (resized).png
    IMG_8352 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240412-141817 (resized).png
    IMG_5136 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5135 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240404_072156_Facebook.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CactusJack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 6 years ago

Is it acceptable to down vote any posted opinion we disagree with?

FYI, did you know the Human eye can't really focus on blue light? For proof, next time you are diving at night and see a business sign lit up exclusively in blue, see how well you can make out the detail (if at all). This is why early Word Processor programs used Blue as the background so your eyes could more easily focus on the lettering on the screen.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

So are you saying with the blue GI background light it would be easier to focus on the silver ball? Makes sense.

Not if the only thing lighting it up is Blue LED light. But if there were enough ambient room light, then what you state would probably be true.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

These are the kind of guys who buy those LED Christmas light projectors and think it looks good.

Suddenly, this product popped into my head:

color wheel (resized).jpgcolor wheel (resized).jpg

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

Just joined the club. No clown puke!!! Love the thread.
    (I am one of the few remaining old-school incandescent bulb fans).

I used to be but I have a new found love for pure white and warm white LEDs. I know many talk about the "warm glow" of an incandescent bulbs. But these tired old bulbs and somewhat lower voltage result in a yellowed color that doesn't do much of the original artwork colors justice.

I could not believe how much better and how much more colorful my STTNG translite looked after using bright white LEDs.

But absolutely NO colored GI for this kid!

I have long hated the use of Colored LEDs for GI. But some of these photos are just beyond belief! There must be many people with major color deficiency.

Hell, even before LEDs got popular, some we're using the color dipped #44s for general GI. Yuk!

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Put color changer LEDs in ALL the sockets!

IF they weren't so expensive, that would be a very interesting test! One of the LED suppliers should do it as a Joke at the next show they sell at. Maybe a Centaur since its basically Black and white.

#221 6 years ago

Do you think many people would buy a NIB Stern if the GI were stuck on only Blue lighting? Or if WOZ shipped with Only Green for GI?

I think that's the difference between putting Colored LEDs in standard GI lighting and a new game that has control over the color scheme during certain modes. Big Difference!

#279 6 years ago

NO!

The Black Knight Will Puke Again!

#308 6 years ago

Look at how much detail in the art is lost. You can't tell me the original artist in any way would consider that an improvement!

ft_bg_true (resized).jpgft_bg_true (resized).jpg

ft_bg_fake (resized).jpgft_bg_fake (resized).jpg

#354 6 years ago
    Quoted from Duvall:

Not near as bad as many examples already posted but I am not even keen on something like this where a green LED is placed behind Yoda (or Dino on Flintstones). Yoda did not need the extra green. He is not that green and his cloak is burlap/white - this makes him look like Kermit the frog.

May the croak be with you.

#363 6 years ago

I see Stern is using a new Photoshop tool filter:. Green and Gray. Makes the plastics art just "Pop", don't ya think?

NOT!

#378 6 years ago

Okay, I hijacked this photo recently posted here on Pinside over in the Gottlieb System 1/80 thread.

OP Says he plays it more than any other game right now. I wonder if he is damaging his eyesight?

eye hurt GW (resized).jpgeye hurt GW (resized).jpg

#432 6 years ago

Kudos! PartyKing.

That's the proper use of LEDs on a pin.

#474 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha that Flintstones actually deserves to be colored that horribly; dreadfull.

Its a shame though, since it has the Alternate Backglass which doesn't look as bad as the movie glass.

flintstones02 (resized).jpgflintstones02 (resized).jpg

#477 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Yeah...and it's rated A for adult.

Nahhh. The girls are just digging for loose change under the mats!

There are some other alternates too that are more family friendly.

#486 6 years ago

That's Sacrilege to destroy some of Paul Faris' best work.... I would bet there is a velvet poster of Dogs playing Poker right next to it.

#505 6 years ago

This stuff is reminding me of the Blacklight posters of the 60's&70's.

8b7f1fc305910ad6ad1d4d3cf29dfd5a--black-light-posters-american-pie (resized).jpg8b7f1fc305910ad6ad1d4d3cf29dfd5a--black-light-posters-american-pie (resized).jpg

#533 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

"If only blue light is shone onto a red shirt, the shirt would appear black, because the blue would be absorbed and there would be no red light to be reflected."

Awww, come on. Everyone knows if you just keep adding more and more blue (LED) light, you will eventually see red!

#548 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If it made them happy, or put strobes all over.

I have seen at least one game in the past with all #455 lamps for GI. Obviously, it was not playable. Just as many of what we have seen would never get my quarter.

Thank you for NOT doing GI color kits when you had Comet!

#628 6 years ago

Thanks for posting, Art. LEDs perfectly done. I think we have to throw a proper photo in every now and then to clear our eyesight and allow our eyes to refocus properly.

1 week later
    #744 6 years ago
    Quoted from matt_adams:

I love a bit of Indy car and I500
    Still have incandescent 44s in my GI and leds in the inserts and spotlights but it looks ok (well I think so!)

Yes, it looks very nice to me. I can actually see what the artist wanted us to see.

#897 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

as I was reading this list, the truck nuts popped into my head and I was going to add it to your list...but low and behold, there it already is.

Let's not forget Parachute pants!

PPants (resized).jpgPPants (resized).jpg

#935 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

All the attacks against rainbow colors sounds homophobic.

Not attacking "rainbow", attacking "color bombing"

#1116 6 years ago
    Oh! You are wasting your time trying to be the Grammar and Spelling police here on Pinside. It has been discussed before elsewhere and the consensus appears to be that stupid people want to stay stupid.

The one that always gets me is "alot". There is no such word. But there are the two words "a" and "lot".

On a side note, I am always impressed that many of the people here on Pinside for which English is not their native language usually do a much better job typing English than many here in America.

So, let's see some more Clown Puke so we can point out the error of their ways!

#1249 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

No matter the bulb choices, a game is playable. The ball still rolls on the playfield, and you don't have to play in the dark. They should kill the LEDs in the backbox on that HS though, creates too much of a reflection on the PF glass.

An operator friend of mine used to install GI disconnect relays (that ran off the Flipper Enable Relay) to turn off back glass lights on games in his dark bar locations to reduce the glare while playing.

#1288 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Is it shocking/rude that gluing toys to somone's games is childish?

I feel about the same with owners filling a game with every conceivable Hallmark Ornament or Action figure toy as I do CP'ed games. But, unless I missed it, there isn't a "No stupid, pointless Mods Club! (Post Pics of worst Mod fails)" thread to laugh at unless I missed it?

#1292 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Is this one a pinsider's game?
    If so, I just want to say it's WONDERFUL

I hear it also has a pinsound system installed in it and plays Calliope music now.

1 week later
    #1481 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Didn't clown puke it, but did go with cool white and threw a couple red towers in.

Pull the center reds and we will let you back into the club! LOL.

Nice Job on the pimped out Vampire!

I wonder how it would look in Daylight instead of cool white?

#1487 6 years ago

I think the major contradiction here is the "player's Condition" in the title. I could never actually play a game looking like that! It's more like "ready to go in the front window of a Spencer's Gift store condition".

#1706 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Experimenting with my Stern Drac...mock away

Oh my!

#1712 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

That Fire! Is gorgeous. I'm not kidding, I'd be proud to have that in my game room.

I have to admit, when I saw the Fire!, I thought "that looks pretty nice, it works for that game."

#1719 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

my kid actually likes them. If you make them right, they will like them because they are actually sweet (White LED's). If you make them wrong they are bitter (Colored LED's in the GI's).

Butter makes everything Better!

#1732 6 years ago

Would this be considered clown puke?

IMG_4970 (resized).jpgIMG_4970 (resized).jpg

#1736 6 years ago

Yes, that IS bad. Even the outhole glows of purple!

#1784 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

and here what are they replacing street and freeway lights with....led lights which reproduce large amounts of blue light. I heard an NPR report about it.

They look much whiter than most of the cool white LEDs I see in pins!

#1868 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

my wife was all jazzed up about that undercab light setup before i put it on the game and we unplugged it after about 5 minutes
    it amounts to a multi-colored strobe light and it is bright.
    I have light colored walls and a light grey floor, it bathed the entire room in flashing light
    it reminded me of being in a room when someone plays with the light switch and flashes the lights on an off real fast. annoying and distracting
    I'm being a pal by advising you guys to go slow on that gizmo, it's intrusive

Not sure what the controller was but most of the stuff that they sell from China has full adjustments. While I am not a fan, I would think that slow fade from a pallet of colors would be acceptable? But yeah, Disco Strobe is not conducive to playing pinball!

#1872 6 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

I make my own under-cab light sticks. They are wired to the flashers on the pin, so the light show can be pretty good. On some pins, where appropriate, I have them on the back-box as well. Lots of flashy-flashy. I have a finished floor, and nothing is allowed on the floor under the pins. Waste of space, but it is all about the pageantry of it. :p
    » YouTube video

Sorry, but the only thing that should be stuck to the underside of a pinball game is chewed gum.

#1959 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Oh man I amuse me.

And got a chuckle out of me! ☺️

1 month later
    #2380 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

WTF people? Get your head out of your ass. Please.

You really do need to learn to be more assertive!

#2383 6 years ago

The Purple Knight Rides again, On his noble Steed, Snow Puff.

1 week later
    #2450 6 years ago

You mean Centaur minus the red?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CactusJack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=CactusJack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.