Carpenter - Halloween pinball machine (resized).jpg
PXL_20240413_183059405 (resized).jpg
IMG_3592 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3589 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3590 (resized).jpeg
Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2369 Upper playfield adjustment video. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #3112 Upper playfield adjustment video Posted by spandol (2 years ago)

Post #3319 TECH: DISPLAY. LCD settings so blacks look better. Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #3394 Stock LCD Display - alternate settings Posted by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op (2 years ago)

Post #4163 How to square a cabinet. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #4472 Please Read - re order numbers and order of manufacture. Posted by rotordave (2 years ago)

Post #5620 Porting the cabinet to stop bass rattle Posted by rotordave (1 year ago)

Post #5659 Mudflaps Custom Cards #1 Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Post #5776 Mudflaps Apron Card bonanza! Posted by Mudflaps (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reality_studio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#142 2 years ago

Just got mine today, updated with todays code and had a couple of questions. First, sometimes it seems to just auto plunge when I start a new ball, is that normal? Also a question on the topper. not sure if mine is maybe not assembled quite right but you can barely see the knife at all from the playing position, mostly just see the hand rotating, was also curious if that was normal because while the knife is huge it remains mostly inside the head.

#153 2 years ago

I've had a couple people ask me to post my thoughts on the game now that I have one. Never done this before as truth be told I just play for fun and I kinda suck at pinball, but I'll give it a shot. Here's some thoughts with the latest code as of today.

I grew up with this movie so the theme is perfect, more so because I've been wanting a horror themed game for a while. The art, sound and light package are brilliant, I really don't think that comes across on videos well at all. In person it looks amazing and the sound quality from a Spooky pin is always a treat.

This is my first Spooky pin as my previous games were from Stern but build quality overall seems good. A few issues on mine, the topper had come apart but took a few seconds to put back together. One thing though, make sure you have a full allen key set as the knife on the topper came off in shipping and it took the smallest possible allen key on my set to adjust the set screw to put it back together. Mine also has a broken rubber on the right side of the middle playfield, I've emailed support to get a new one. One more thing is when the ball ends up back in the shooter lane during play, on mine it sometimes gets stuck on the rollover near the plunger and I have to shake the machine quite a bit to get it to roll over it so I can replunge. Maybe I need to adjust that rollover, not sure, in the meantime I removed the tilt bob so I can shake it as needed when it gets stuck there. Overall it has fewer issues than my NIB Elvira's House Of Horrors did.

I normally hate mini play fields. For example I prefer AC/DC Pro to the premium because I dislike the lower playfield on it, don't like the lower playfield on Munsters, don't like the upper playfield on Black Knight Sword of Rage, etc. In this game the middle playfield is just average but the top playfield is actually pretty cool. I find myself really working the game to get those pretzel loops then banging the ramp, very satisfying. I can no longer say I dislike all mini playfields.

The ball hides on this game more than on any game I've played in recent memory. Tough to explain but there are instances where now you see it, now you don't, then boom the ball is back. The inlanes are the example most talk about but it happens in other instances. For this particular game I really like it because it adds tension, almost like the ball is Michael and popping up here and there, it's unique and it works.

Not super crazy about the topper. The idea of the rotating knife is cool but when you play you can't really see because it's hidden behind the Halloween banner and it's kinda noisy.

The shots to me feel good. Ramps on other games sometimes frustrate the hell out of me, but on this game I can hit them ok. Locations of the targets are cool as are the goals assigned to them. It's not fast like TNA, now flowy like LZ but it's it's own thing. I was initially afraid it would feel too cluttered but that hasn't turned out to be the case. I prefer Stern flippers as they seem more powerful but these are fine for this game. One quibble thus far is that the ball seems to end up back in the shooter lane more than I'd like.

This is not a complex game which to me is good. I haven't watched many videos on it but so far I've been able to figure it out on my own. There is the occasional confusion like the game will say mystery is lit and I can't see mystery anywhere on the playfield. I think the blood scoop on this game is the mystery shot as on Ultra Man it's actually labelled mystery. Being a noob player I find some games are just too deep, too complex, too layered and I'll never figure them out so I like that this game seems more understandable and approachable. I think if you're the type that always gets to wizard modes or you have Deadflip level of skill then this game won't last you. For me it's good and very different from other games out there so I like it.

Latest animations are very cool, minor quibble is that they seem over compressed so compression artifacts are easily visible. The lcd screen does seem kinda low quality to where blacks are basically light gray. Not really a huge thing in the grand scheme of this because I find this particular game affords me the least amount of time to actually see the screen because of the way the ball creeps around the playfield.

Latest code update is really nice, gives clearly selectable goals and modes on screen, and it's always nice having multiple ways to start multiball. The hidden skill shot is neat, got that one by accident one game and was a pleasant surprise. I've read that some people complain that you can just hit the center ramp over and over, truth be told I think every pin in existence has someone saying "Just do _____ over and over" so I don't think it's an issue.

My distributor mentioned that the early runs used a 2 amp fuse for the flippers and it can burn out, apparently the solution is to replace those with a 5 amp fuse. I'll just wait until mine pop before I swap them although presumably this is fixed on current builds.

Ok that's some thoughts, hopefully this is useful to someone. I personally love the game, wouldn't have bought it if I didn't. I think it fits nicely into a collection as it's so different, only issue I could see is expert players tiring of it quick.

#155 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

Nice write up.
This is the second machine to arrive with that rubber broken. Spooky may wanna toss a spare in the coin box.

Ah reminds me, forgot to mention the extras they include in the box, pic attached.

PXL_20211003_164217932 (resized).jpgPXL_20211003_164217932 (resized).jpg
#161 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Possible leveling/mounting issue with the middle playfield? In all the streams I've watched, it doesn't go right from the drain all that much that I've seen?

It could mostly be because my middle playfield came with a broken rubber, and it's via that middle playfield that it ends up in the shooter lane more than I'd like. They are sending a replacement which is cool. Seems like their support is about as quick as Sterns, send an email, get a part, nice.

I think I may disable the topper though. I'm tightening the set screw as tight as I can and yet the knife will still fall off Love the new blood shop in the latest code, find blood, spend it on stuff, I dig it.

1 week later
#245 2 years ago

Oh didn't know this was being tracked, I have CE #3 for whoever maintains this list. CE #4 is at the AYCE Gogi restauant.

1 week later
#386 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

I wonder what the consensus is for the 17 people - rather put money to GZ? Played it on location and didnt care for it? trading spots for lower number? Does seem like a lot of listings for a game that hasnt produced 100 yet.

I think this will happen to Spooky games much more so than say Sterns because of how they handle sales. With Stern buying a machine is fairly simple, place an order and get your game typically in a few weeks. With Spooky it's try and get your order in then wait 12 to 18 months. Given that I figure many bought just in case knowing that they could flip their spot easily if they changed their mind.

#520 2 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Halloween played in a dark room with the volume up is amazing! Playing it in a bar setting I’m sure does not do it justice.

Definitely, playing this one at home is a very different experience. It's one of those games where playing it at an uncontrolled environment like a bar/restaurant does hurt the experience somewhat more than most games.

#583 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

That rubber has been fighting me left and right! Just needs a small stretch sometimes and it will work.

I just had the same issue after I replaced the broken rubber. Do you guys sell a thinner one for that location? I did stretch mine and it works now, but I'm afraid over time it'll either slip back or break because of how much you have to stretch it so the ball can make it through.

#589 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Maybe try changing out this for a rollover lane post? That way you could still have the rubber for bounce, but the diameter would be small enough to let the ball get in.
[quoted image]

I didn't want to go with a narrow post only because there would be a large visible ring under it with no playfield art. I do wonder if I could loosen the post and slide it over though like spooky_dj suggested.

#733 2 years ago

Where are you guys getting the code update from? On Spooky's support page it still lists "Code Update V1.01" which is the previous one.

#845 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Maybe we can hope the continued nonsense continues, and Spooky will stop posting...is this the goal?

For what it's worth that phenomena isn't limited to pinball. Back in the day there was a video game forum where actual developers posted and over time the same thing happened. People hated on them, hated on their games, hated on their pricing, hated on their policies, just endless hate. Result was the inevitable, the developers simply stopped posting and fled the forum. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the same thing happened here because why bother posting with info and insights when you'll just be hated on. Plus at some point it can actually become an employment issue if a thread/post you are involved in spirals negatively out of control against the company you work for.

1 week later
#1400 2 years ago

One of my Michaels is leaning far to the right, was wondering is it just a matter of pressing the connection point back down to straighten him out? I'm not sure how he connects to the rotator, so before I start pressing and tweaking I wanted to make sure I'm not breaking anything.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1485 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lots of posts about shipping, i have #132. Is the game any good? . Not seeing a lot of commentary.
Is it progressing, those that have had it from early on?

It's my first Spooky game and I got CE #3 fairly early. Code is progressing slowly and is currently kinda buggy but I still really like the game. I do feel that ace pinball players will rip through the game quickly, but fortunately I suck at pinball so this will last me for a while. Very unique type of game hence I feel it fits nicely into a collection of pins, there isn't much else out there to compare it to. Theme integration I feel is excellent, and for once I find a game that doesn't make me hate it's mini playfields. As far as fixes and tweaking it's about on par with my Elvira HOH, little things here and there but Spooky support is really fast to respond so making the fixes have been simple and should be resolved by the time you get yours anyways. I'm a big fan of the game, I just don't normally post my thoughts about pins because I'm pure amateur when it comes to playing so I figure I'll miss too much hence I typically leave the comments to the better players. My main gripes are that I wish code was further along, especially since I have Godzilla sitting right next to it which seems much further along even at 0.8 code, and the topper which is really fragile and I find the noise it's motor makes is kinda horrible. I didn't plan on modding this machine but I may swap out the topper if someone makes an aftermarket one.

1 week later
#1644 2 years ago

Is there any anti rattle tape y'all would recommend? Many seem to be sold but I was wondering if maybe some brands just fit better for this particular game.

#1706 2 years ago

Anyone ever get the ball stuck here? It will rest there and remain until the game does it's ball search sequence then the little metal bracket will rotate and release it. Shaking the machine won't free it, I have to wait for the ball search sequence. That's all the way at the top center of the machine.
PXL_20211203_185708836 (resized).jpgPXL_20211203_185708836 (resized).jpg

#1713 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah mine likes to get hung up there every once in awhile. I made my machine a bit steeper and it helped, but a slow moving ball can still settle in there. I can get mine out, but usually get a tilt out of it. I keep forgetting to ask Bug if there is a way to adjust that servo to turn a little further. If not, I might dremel my diverter a little bit so it doesn't create a trap. Won't take much.

Ah so it's not just me. Ok, I emailed Spooky service about it and sent the same pic, maybe they can let me know if it's just a software bug or if they have a replacement part to fix the issue.

#1716 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

SpookyBug is this true? Should everyone be renaming the file before updating to be safe? Seems...odd to me.

By default it has the correct name, I've never had to rename mine. I think the issue may happen if you decompress the firmware update into a directory that already has a previous file with the same name in it, then often the decompression software will append "_1" or something like that to it. That's assuming you got the file as a .zip of course. Alternatively the "_1" could also be appended when downloading the file into a directory where a same file already exists.

#1751 2 years ago
Quoted from jdlang11:

Was looking for a digital pitch gage. Just wondering if there was a preferred one amongst the community.

Another dude had recommended this one so I ordered it, it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZWW3BW5/

#1829 2 years ago

On my machine the ball tends to get stuck in the scoop because it gets hung up on the pumpkin cable that's been routed through that hole, after which only removing the glass will fix it. A bit hard to tell from my pic, but the ball is being cradled between the cable and the metal wall. For now I put some packing tape to hold the pumpkin cable against the metal bracket so that the ball will just roll over it when it falls into the scoop, but that's just a temporary fix. Anyone have ideas on a more permanent fix? The best solution would be to route the pumpkin cable elsewhere and not via the same scoop hole that balls go through regularly, but I didn't see any other nearby hole where I could re-reroute it to

#1842 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

We have a permanent fix email service! We also changed it on the line so they are all secured now. Same with flipper bat we have a trick to increase hold strength.

Yup already have an email out to service for this and for a fix to my diverter, but sometimes I ask here as well just in case it's quicker

EDIT: Maybe someone here knows how to adjust the diverter? The ball get stuck on mine. I do have an email out to service, but I wanna play the game tonight Instructions from service were "You may have to adjust your servo by taking the diverter off and moving it by one tooth.". I removed the diverter but, umm, have no idea how to "move it by one tooth".

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1858 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah mine likes to get hung up there every once in awhile. I made my machine a bit steeper and it helped, but a slow moving ball can still settle in there. I can get mine out, but usually get a tilt out of it. I keep forgetting to ask Bug if there is a way to adjust that servo to turn a little further. If not, I might dremel my diverter a little bit so it doesn't create a trap. Won't take much.

Just got a solution from Spooky service for this in case others are having the ball get stuck on the top diverter. Just remove the two screws that hold the triangular metal diverter piece onto the servo (pic 1) to reveal the orange part. That orange part can then be pulled off, it's a little difficult but it does indeed pull right off. Then you can rotate it a bit and place it back on effectively altering the slope of the diverter. It has teeth so it only snaps back on in certain increments. Then screw the metal diverter piece back on and give it a try. I just rotated mine and will test it tonight.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2888 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

LOL! I think people that have cats and pinball machines are crazy! No way I would risk having my machines scratched up.

I used to have several machines at a property that had a little kitty. She never damaged the machines at all, instead it became a challenge to play "cat pinball" as we called it, playing with cat on glass going after the ball.

#3005 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

For those having issues with the center drop targets not always dropping, especially on hard hits, I can confirm that replacing their springs with Bally/Williams 10-364 springs has completely fixed that problem for me.

On mine I lubed all drop targets with 3 in 1 oil and haven't had one get stuck since.

#3009 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

That's not recommended. Any plastic on metal contact should be free of oil altogether.

That's what Spooky told me to do when the targets started getting stuck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Gilbert, AZ
$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reality_studio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home?tu=reality_studio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.