image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
2016-03-24_13.47.26_(resized).jpg
IMAG1687_(resized).jpg
There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.
#151 9 years ago

With all the talk of reverse painting the clear ramps, I think that's the direction I would go as well. I've done some paint like that on Lexan RC truck bodies and it really looks quite amazing. You can also do a first layer of translucent color, then back with silver, then a final black to create a "candy apple" effect. I also like the idea of leaving some areas completely clear by masking, or drilling for light to shine through. Lots of opportunity to really jazz up this playfield!

#152 9 years ago

I think the red would be pretty cool.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from TheKreator:

With all the talk of reverse painting the clear ramps, I think that's the direction I would go as well. I've done some paint like that on Lexan RC truck bodies and it really looks quite amazing. You can also do a first layer of translucent color, then back with silver, then a final black to create a "candy apple" effect. I also like the idea of leaving some areas completely clear by masking, or drilling for light to shine through. Lots of opportunity to really jazz up this playfield!

I am using translucent colors (mixed) since the paint on the ramps is pretty thin.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

I think the red would be pretty cool.

While we wait for Chris to get some time to post photos, and since my blue plastic is a couple week out, I think I'll form a set of red just to see what they look like.

#155 9 years ago

Why not try a purple translucent?

purple plastic.JPGpurple plastic.JPG

#156 9 years ago

Honestly....I think these are the most needed ramps in pinball due to the fact the originals are almost always damaged, it's a dual set and the uniqueness of the design and color! Too bad Steve Young has no more Genesis NOS Playfields or potential owners could really do a clean restore!

#157 9 years ago

We're lucky to have a Pinsider like Freeplay40 making these for us. Just think of how many more he could make if he had help.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Honestly....I think these are the most needed ramps in pinball due to the fact the originals are almost always damaged, it's a dual set and the uniqueness of the design and color! Too bad Steve Young has no more Genesis NOS Playfields or potential owners could really do a clean restore!

Supposedly, he was "thinking about" re-making them, according to Todd Tuckey (mentioned in a couple of his Genesis videos). But there's no telling how far along that actually is or if it ever got past the "thinking" stage.

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Supposedly, he was "thinking about" re-making them, according to Todd Tuckey (mentioned in a couple of his Genesis videos). But there's no telling how far along that actually is or if it ever got past the "thinking" stage.

I agree...and as we know, Steve has his finger into so many parts reproductions, as is necessary to do what he does for us. I'm really happy that FreePlay came along.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#160 9 years ago

I think Steve should look Into reproducing every Gotlieb playfield he has sold out of. He had tons of NOS playfields but now if you check the playfjeld section of "Pinball Resource" there are hardly any titles left. Obviously there is demand for them and he has Gotlieb lockdown! I was able to get a Genesis NOS playfield from him a few years ago but missed my chance on TX Sector. If Steve won't produce playfields for the Gottliebs I wish someone would....

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Why not try a purple translucent?
purple plastic.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

I wish. That color acrylic is only available in "cell cast". Cell cast acrylic will not vacuum form. Acrylic is produced in both cell cast and extruded. Only the extruded can be vacuum formed.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

I think Steve should look Into reproducing every Gotlieb playfield he has sold out of. He had tons of NOS playfields but now if you check the playfjeld section of "Pinball Resource" there are hardly any titles left. Obviously there is demand for them and he has Gotlieb lockdown! I was able to get a Genesis NOS playfield from him a few years ago but missed my chance on TX Sector. If Steve won't produce playfields for the Gottliebs I wish someone would....

agreed. There are unfortunately only very few titles that have the demand or need to sell enough pfs.

I think SG is the number 1 game to try out first if remaking any pfs.

I wish I had grabbed one of the NOS RoboWar pfs when he had a bunch last year. I was told a whole obox of them were sent overseas and somone is holding a bunch. Sure wish I could find one.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I wish. That color acrylic is only available in "cell cast". Cell cast acrylic will not vacuum form. Acrylic is produced in both cell cast and extruded. Only the extruded can be vacuum formed.

How about the purple transparent then? Looks like it is extruded.

purple 1020.jpgpurple 1020.jpg

#164 9 years ago

Not all of the colors shown are available in extruded. They will appear the same but have very different properties. Only basic colors are available in extruded and the two purples are not available in extruded. Most companies just stock the cast acrylic. That's why it is hard for me to get as it comes from out of state.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Not all of the colors shown are available in extruded. They will appear the same but have very different properties. Only basic colors are available in extruded and the two purples are not available in extruded. Most companies just stock the cast acrylic. That's why it is hard for me to get as it comes from out of state.

Could you dye it before forming?

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Could you dye it before forming?

There is a company locally that advertises that they can "colorize" plastic. The only color they showed was sort of a rose color and the process didn't look cheap. I may look into it someday. Lot to consider for instance could it be colorized prior to forming or would it have to be after. Has been some discussion on painting the underside of ramps and some creative things you could do like leave windows open. I have experimented with using Krylon Fusion for plastic on a clear ramp. Specifically I painted the underside black and the results were very good... The durability of PETG with a stock black look. A very good alternative to the black ABS ramps.

#167 9 years ago

This site shows what is basically available in extruded acrylic...

http://www.professionalplastics.com/PLEXIGLASS-ACRYLICSHEET-EXTRUDED

Click on the right side to see available colors (Plexiglas color chart)

#168 9 years ago

That 2069 Transparent Blue might look good too

#169 9 years ago

As if clear, pink and blue weren't enough.... Fresh out of the machine. Just the left ramp so far but wanted to get a shot of it in the sunlight.

IMG_0706.JPGIMG_0706.JPG IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0707.JPG
#170 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

As if clear, pink and blue weren't enough.... Fresh out of the machine. Just the left ramp so far but wanted to get a shot of it in the sunlight.

IMG_0706.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0707.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

WOW!!! That is SPECTACULAR!!! Be sure to save some of the big flat areas.

#171 9 years ago

Freepay40...Dude...you have single handedly blew the other ramp manufactures out of the water!!!! Colorific!!!!!!

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Freepay40...Dude...you have single handedly blew the other ramp manufactures out of the water!!!! Colorific!!!!!!

But there AREN'T any other ramp makers around. Mark is the only one making ramps and this is his 3rd one.....the others...ZERO.

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

But there AREN'T any other ramp makers around. Mark is the only one making ramps and this is his 3rd one.....the others...ZERO.

So true!

#174 9 years ago

Couple shots of the red ramps cut out. Overcast day doesn't do the color justice! Email exchange with Chris today. He's hoping to post photos of the clear, blue and pink in his machine tonight.

IMG_0708.JPGIMG_0708.JPG IMG_0710.JPGIMG_0710.JPG
#175 9 years ago

Cant wait for pics, I keep checking. I have my Genesis all torn apart trying to imagine what color would look best.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Cant wait for pics, I keep checking. I have my Genesis all torn apart trying to imagine what color would look best.

Check later today for photos.

#177 9 years ago

Those red ramps are sexy!

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Those red ramps are sexy!

That's exactly what I was thinking before I saw your post!!!

I'd almost want that red sexiness in bride of pinbot

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Couple shots of the red ramps cut out. Overcast day doesn't do the color justice! Email exchange with Chris today. He's hoping to post photos of the clear, blue and pink in his machine tonight.

IMG_0708.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0710.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

I don't see how people could resist those red ones. They are HOT.

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

That's exactly what I was thinking before I saw your post!!!
I'd almost want that red sexiness in Bride of Pinbot

I have a BOP...Might have to look into it as well....

#181 9 years ago

Just something to think about as photos are coming soon. The blue and red are made of acrylic. If you were to choose the acrylic ramps I have to strongly recommend the new Cliffy protectors as acrylic is not as durable as the PETG. Really for long term since this game is prone to abuse at the ramp entrances, Cliffy's should be considered for any of the ramps.

#182 9 years ago

how about a Genesis with no ramps. 20150311_214509.jpg20150311_214509.jpg

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I have a BOP...Might have to look into it as well....

Actually... Don't roast me, but I think pink or baby blue would be nice in bop, the dark red may hide too much of what needs to be seen under ramps

#184 9 years ago

Maybe a dumb question -- but is there a source for the smoked playfield window? Mine has a slight crack and is warped enough to throw off gameplay. It's either too low in the playfield, or too high with a ridge. My upper left and right screw holes are also too large for the screws, so they curve up slightly - creating air balls that hit the glass on ramp shot attempts. Seems like an easy fix if I could get a replacement window piece.

Those red ramps look fantastic, but I'm definitely in for a set of the clear when ready!

#185 9 years ago

I also need the smoked plexiglass window ,havent been able to find one ,mines cracked scratched and warped!! If anyone knows a source id sure like to know

#186 9 years ago
Quoted from lockednlit:

I also need the smoked plexiglass window ,havent been able to find one ,mines cracked scratched and warped!! If anyone knows a source id sure like to know

We might be able to encourage PinBits to make a few smoked plexi windows. I'm fairly sure Martin/Pam have made them in the past.
--
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm

#187 9 years ago

OK guys...unfortunately, my day job is getting in the way here.
I get home too late to have good light for photographs.
I'll take them on Saturday, when I can move my machine into better light.

Until then, here's a teaser shot. It's not a great shot, and it doesn't capture how really nice these blue acrylic ramps look in the game. I don't have the ramp entrance posts screwed down and I removed the drop target bank to get at the nut for the right ramp under the PF. My PF holes are hogged out quite a bit and I need to fix that. The Cliffy's fit well, and as FreePlay notes, with the blue acrylic (or any acrylic) you will definitely need Cliffy's as acrylic is brittle while PETG can be abused and withstand it.

The blue ramps look so much more blue than the PF artwork in the picture. With the human eye, while in the game, the blues look good together, and don't look so jarringly different, like they do in this pic. Perhaps with better light I can capture the colors better.

Glamour shot, Repro Genesis RampsGlamour shot, Repro Genesis Ramps

The transparent blue looks absolutely awesome in the game.
The clear ones will show more artwork under them...we'll see when I get the pics.
The clear ones painted hot pink look stunning (if you can say that about hot pink) and FreePlay has matched the original color very well.

Myself, I'm torn between originality (pink) and the awesomeness of both the blue and the clear. This is going to come down to a slight edge in personal preference for everyone.

I'm also going to contact Cliffy about making the ramp flaps (unless Steve Young has some NOS flaps). Mine are pretty buggered up.

That's all until Saturday folks.
--
http://webpages.charte.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm

#189 9 years ago

So... I would recommend that everyone wait to see the photos that Chris can post this weekend. At the moment I am producing the clear ramps which will also be used for the painted ones. Once you are sure of what version you want, please let me know so I can update my list as well as gauge the need for colored plastic.

I would also ask that when you make your final decision on the ramps that you also forward me your shipping information. The main reason I need this is so that I can properly identify you with your Pinside handle....it can get confusing.

The blue plastic is about two weeks out and I doubled my order today as well as ordered more of the clear PETG which I will pick up on Friday. Since we will be waiting for the blue plastic I will start filling orders for the clear and painted, let's say to be safe, on Monday. Pricing was stated earlier in the thread, but here's the deal.

Clear set $165 (PETG)
Blue set $170 (Acrylic)
Red Set $170 (Acrylic)
Pink painted set $180 (PETG)

Shipping will be $18

Not sure what the pricing will be for shipping multiple sets, but I expect less than $18 per set. USPS is tricky when boxes get bigger and start to price by cube weight. I generally ship USPS Priority and it cost $49.65 to ship the three sets to Chris.

#190 9 years ago

Nicely done Chris and Mark! Those ramp entrance flaps would be no problem. I just made enhanced NGG ramp flaps for the left ramp and Lazer War ramp flaps. Somebody send me one or a scan (with ruler in scan) and I'll drop it in my next laser run. Oh and Chris, petg is more impact resistant than acrylic but it absolutely does break. Modern Sterns all use petg and you bet they all break Wanna keep those Freeplay40 ramps beautiful? Get 'em protected

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Nicely done Chris and Mark! Those ramp entrance flaps would be no problem. I just made enhanced NGG ramp flaps for the left ramp and Lazer War ramp flaps. Somebody send me one or a scan (with ruler in scan) and I'll drop it in my next laser run. Oh and Chris, petg is more impact resistant than acrylic but it absolutely does break. Modern Sterns all use petg and you bet they all break Wanna keep those Freeplay40 ramps beautiful? Get 'em protected

I agree with the protection for both. Game clearly has a history of ramp carnage!

#192 9 years ago

I love what I see and I see what I love. Well done guys! Those red ramps look also very good. Red, Pink, clear.....it won't be an easy decision.....

/\/\arco

#193 9 years ago

I subscribed to this thread.

I di not have a Genesis game, but I LOVE the work you have put into these and just want to follow the progress

Chris

#194 9 years ago

+1 on the ramp flaps.
I need a set of those, too.
How about the text decal that goes on each ramp? I bought a decal set awhile ago and HAD them but they have since disappeared.
I got a smoked window from pinbits about a year ago. the beveled holes where the screws go weren't cut deep enough so I had to modify them. the ball would fly off the screws sticking up.
If he makes another run, this needs addressed for you guys.

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I di not have a Genesis game

Me neither....yet...it's on my short list. A couple have quite literally slipped through my fingers in recent years.

#196 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Me neither....yet...it's on my short list. A couple have quite literally slipped through my fingers in recent years.

Probably a good time to try and pick one up as broken ramps tend to diminish a games value, and now....new ramps are available.

#197 9 years ago

Not like I ain't been tryin'

#198 9 years ago

cant wait to see the clear installed

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

cant wait to see the clear installed

+1. Thinking those will be the most futuristic looking. Not that the pink isn't futuristic looking.

#200 9 years ago

fabricated woman with pink ovaries with little sperm transitors (feature lights) blasting into them designed by two pervy fuggin weirdos.

There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-ramps/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.