image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
2016-03-24_13.47.26_(resized).jpg
IMAG1687_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcbrown316.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

So for those interested, I have a set of ramps that I will use as models for these. I do not have the game and would be interested in seeing photos of both entrances to the ramps. I did receive photos from one other Pinsider and at least from his it seems pretty obvious why they got hammered. I don't remember the post, but someone was trying to get Cliffy to provide some protection. From the photos I just saw as well as those on the IPDB, would seem logical that the posts that are there to protect the leading edges of the ramp should maybe be a little more substantial? If anyone has come up with something different at the entrance I'd like to see it. I am certainly going to make this ramp in in Clear PETG for its durability, but this might not be the best application for an acrylic colored ramp, without some beefier protection at the entrances.

I think clear would look alot better than the opaque purple. add that and a new ebay translite and you have a pretty darn cool game. alternate cabinet decals I saw look awesome too but expensive and likely a difficult job?

2 weeks later
#38 9 years ago

any progess on the clear ramps freeplay? I have the machine all dialed in just waiting on some cool ramps then I will LED it. Games in nice shape and super cool. All ground mods had been done very nice to boot. i have it set at 7.5 degree pitch and she's fast!!!

#40 9 years ago

cool man. hate to keep bugging you but the purple ovaries gotta go!

2 weeks later
#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

RAMP UPDATE...........
So, I wish I could say that I have been relaxing and doing nothing. These Genesis ramps are proving to be extremely difficult to get a good consistent product. If you look closely at your originals, in the flat area toward the upper part of the ramp (where it mounts) you can see indentations that are actually on the underside. I have wondered if this is why they opted to paint them. Anyway, those indentations are caused by what is called a "plug". A plug is used in the forming process to assist in the actual forming. The design of these ramps requires that the forming process be assisted. The difficulty comes in trying to keep that "assistance" from showing. I have modeled these in both male and female molds and have gone back and forth several times. I have even tried forming them with 3/16" PETG, but the problem caused by the design simply won't allow them to be made without assistance. I came pretty close with today's test and have decided to modify yet again my machine to produce these. In today's test I used some screen to add texture to the flat top of the ramp as a means to minimize the effect of the plug. I have now decided to actually mechanically assist the plug process to insure consistency. I hope to have that done tomorrow. In the mean time here are some photos of the form I did today for the left ramp which show the texture I added... Let me know what you think about the texture.. My hope is to come up with a process where I won't need the texture, but I think it adds an interesting effect.
more to come.... Mark

IMG_0623.JPG 151 KB

IMG_0624.JPG 51 KB

Here's my credit card #...

3 weeks later
#64 9 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Please don't give up!!

YES PLEASE DONT. ONE OF MY PURPLE OVARIES BROKE LAST NIGHT!

1 month later
#106 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Below are photos of the test ramps I am sending off to Chris Hibler today for test fit and photo shoot!. I'm hoping he will have them by Saturday. I was able to get a set painted that I think is pretty close. Hardest part is painting them very thin like the originals. We'll wait to see what they look like in Chris's game.

IMG_0700.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0701.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0702.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0703.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0704.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

sweet. I think I want clear but I would love to see how much of the playfield "machinery" will be exposed due to their transparency. Can you ask Chris to take some snaps regarding this? This is so awesome that you can do this type of stuff to help out nerds like me.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

For one thing, a player would be blinded by the flashes with the clear ramps. There are 4 flashers without diffusers or colored caps under the ramps, since the ramps basically act as the diffusers.

We can adapt to that problem

1 week later
#198 9 years ago

cant wait to see the clear installed

#200 9 years ago

fabricated woman with pink ovaries with little sperm transitors (feature lights) blasting into them designed by two pervy fuggin weirdos.

#285 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

ramps arrived.
now, I just need to find a local game for a fair price.

lol. Mark has singlehandedly create a new demand for this game. that is awesome. I got my ramps yesterday. payed for them friday. that is service!!! very nice looking. Gonna put them in tonight. I'm hoping the metal ramp guise are not riveted. didnt really take a close look.

#291 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

This game is like Laser War, the translite keeps anyone from taking it seriously. But playing it proves otherwise. Dunno why so many people poo-poo this game. It has clear goals and rules that anyone can easily understand (just like Laser War). It has the one more game factor going as you want to complete the robot. Granted, it isn't the most complex game, but it is also 1986, it is on par with other games of the time period. Now someone sell me theirs!

It's easily the hardest game in my collection and I have bsd and the shadow. I think those kickers on the side make the difference. Love the sound of being electrocuted as those little f'ers blast your ball past your flippers right down the fuggin drain. I have revealed the robot-shaped ice cube tray once in the last 3 months...

#297 9 years ago

I worked with the dude with the translites on ebay. I bought a bunch and the genesis one was by far the best

#301 9 years ago

These things are awesome. Crystal clear, sturdy and they fit right in like stock. This is very impressive work man!!!

Massive difference in the appearance of this game. I put 2 new balls in and they look friggin sweet traveling up those clear ramps. Another thing I love is that the clear reflects the color from the body parts lights on the backboard. The more you light up the cooler it looks. Its subtle but way cool. Someone had also mentioned a green ramp for the legs shot and a blue ramp for the arms shot. Interesting idea. Check out the spots I put in. Same idea but you don't lose the effect of the clear. Green spot on the right, blue spot on the left. Again very subtle but adds nice accents and a bit more light to my "new" genesis pinball machine.

"For sale: old, brittle, cracked f'n crappy purple ramps" They are actually usable if anyone want them cheap.

RB

20150318_003634.jpg20150318_003634.jpg 20150318_011540.jpg20150318_011540.jpg 20150318_011629.jpg20150318_011629.jpg
#303 9 years ago

the clear looks so good I am going to try and find those clear bumpers I saw on here. I did like the red but with the clear it looks more industrial like the theme of the playfield and you can see the artwork and mechanics underneath. I made the right choice for sure

#306 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Alt translight

Genesis-From-Genesis-to-Revelation.jpg

Pre-phil collins and steve hackett. Chris stewart on drums, anthony phillips on guitar.

#307 9 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Hey RCBrown those spots are nice....you can have my clear bumper idea and ill incorporate your spot lights!!

deal. what did you use and where can I get them?

#311 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

They sure look sharp in your game.
I wonder how frosted ramps might look.

I'll give it a shot tonight...

Rich-and-Creamy-Rainbow-Sprinkle-Frosting.jpgRich-and-Creamy-Rainbow-Sprinkle-Frosting.jpg
#324 9 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I am seeing the one second on the right tomorrow evening!

gabriel or chris stewart? not to get too off track peter gabriel back to front blue ray is unbelievably awesome, yeah he's old now butr wow he can still perform. for the old school solo pg buy live in athens. it will give you goose bumps

#327 9 years ago

the artwork on the playfield is pretty cool. i think you guys are crazy for wanting to alter the crystal clear ramps to block it again. just my opinion

#341 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

This has been a great thread and experience.
I love the creativity of the folks chiming in here.
Originally, I thought I'd stay with the OEM pink.
But after seeing the clears, and expecially the lighting that can be incorporated, I'm on the clear bandwagon.
Way to go Mark "FreePlay40"!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.ne/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

I second that. Mark just made a ton of people happy with a solution that not only solves a common problem but also enhances the appearance of our games. Impressive piece of work that was not easy to pull off. Better yet he was not the OP, he was responding to a need. Thanks a million Mark!

20150320_081205.jpg20150320_081205.jpg 20150318_003634.jpg20150318_003634.jpg
#361 9 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Also the fact, it's suppose to conceal the mystery under playfield. Hence, opaque.

opaque would be very unrewarding lol... clear or tinted slightly purple would look cool. The mystery is concealed by the rotating cover

#367 9 years ago
Quoted from insaneinthedrain:

I agree. I hadn't put any money in my Genesis.
Now with new ramps I going to order LEDs, pinbit window, and a bunch from pbr.my 600 game is turning into a little money pit.oh well such a good game deserves it.

add to that the demand for the game has increased. I see it here in the wtb areas

#382 9 years ago

looks good dude! I put in 8 smd tower flashers and they are oppressive. Then the game kicked my ass as usual. It's incredible how brutal this game is.

Used green and blue to match the feature lights. Looks cool but I might have to scale them back a bit. I got some purples and reds to. I will monkey around with it and see what looks best to me

#384 9 years ago

my window.screws/screw holes need work. i have tried a bunch of times to get them flush and it's nearly impossible to get a true roll over the thing. i can get it to feel pretty flush with the fingers but the ball is still misdirected. it makes me want to kill, kill, kill....

#386 9 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

Just received my two ramps like a Christmas Gift , from WA to France .
You made a great job , Mark
Some days to wait before a shoot, but it's wonderful.
Thanks again

Freeplay 40 Intl.

#392 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Merci Beaucoup!!

yeah what he said, mercy bow coop...

#407 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Uh, don't hold your breath!

"here's what I have. Blue, red and clear"

"ok great, I'll try the green..."

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcbrown316.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-ramps?tu=rcbrown316 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.