image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
2016-03-24_13.47.26_(resized).jpg
IMAG1687_(resized).jpg
There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
#101 9 years ago

Those look very nice. Have you considered making ramps for any games after these?

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Those look very nice. Have you considered making ramps for any games after these?

Have done High Speed and Space Station. Next up is Swords of Fury, both upper and lower ramps. After those plan on doing some for F-14....then maybe Space Shuttle.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Finally after 4 months!... Success! Attached are photos of both ramps in clear and one in the blue. These are fresh out of the machine. I will cut them out tonight and post finished photos tomorrow. I again exhausted all the plastic I have so need to order more. At this point I'm thinking I should be ready to start shipping in about a week. I will also be painting a set tonight to match as close as I can to the original color. The original paint jobs on these was not very good so hopefully I can match. Whew!... Beer time for now!

IMG_0686.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0687.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

WOW...that's one hell of a ramp(s). You have come a loooong way with your skills my friend. You guys should get a blank as wall art, they are THAT cool and have it signed by the ARTIST.

#104 9 years ago

Magnificent job! Well done, those ramps look very very good! I would like to be added on your list for a set. The clear ones look very nice. I am curious about the coming pictures from Chris, can't wait....

Again, well done!

Marco

#105 9 years ago

Below are photos of the test ramps I am sending off to Chris Hibler today for test fit and photo shoot!. I'm hoping he will have them by Saturday. I was able to get a set painted that I think is pretty close. Hardest part is painting them very thin like the originals. We'll wait to see what they look like in Chris's game.

IMG_0700.JPGIMG_0700.JPG IMG_0701.JPGIMG_0701.JPG IMG_0703.JPGIMG_0703.JPG IMG_0704.JPGIMG_0704.JPG
#106 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Below are photos of the test ramps I am sending off to Chris Hibler today for test fit and photo shoot!. I'm hoping he will have them by Saturday. I was able to get a set painted that I think is pretty close. Hardest part is painting them very thin like the originals. We'll wait to see what they look like in Chris's game.

IMG_0700.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0701.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0702.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0703.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0704.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

sweet. I think I want clear but I would love to see how much of the playfield "machinery" will be exposed due to their transparency. Can you ask Chris to take some snaps regarding this? This is so awesome that you can do this type of stuff to help out nerds like me.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

sweet. I think I want clear but I would love to see how much of the playfield "machinery" will be exposed due to their transparency. Can you ask Chris to take some snaps regarding this? This is so awesome that you can do this type of stuff to help out nerds like me.

Ditto.

Hey, is there any way that Cliffy's protectors can be mailed along with your new ramps? Like a package deal ... but not a deal. Just less shipping costs to Canada.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

For one thing, a player would be blinded by the flashes with the clear ramps. There are 4 flashers without diffusers or colored caps under the ramps, since the ramps basically act as the diffusers.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

For one thing, a player would be blinded by the flashes with the clear ramps. There are 4 flashers without diffusers or colored caps under the ramps, since the ramps basically act as the diffusers.

We can adapt to that problem

#110 9 years ago

Awesome job free play!!!! They all look great! Keep me on the list brother...got my money waving out the door at ya!!!

#111 9 years ago

everything I hoped they would be.
I think i'm skipping the purple painted ones. I know that's original, but since I have a decaled cabinet, mines not exactly stock. my choice boils down to blue or clear.
guess I'll wait to see them installed to make a decision.
most excellent job freeplay40!
setting aside some money now.

#112 9 years ago

on a side note....
now that my game will have perfect ramps, the last thing it needs is the paper that surrounds the metal chick under the playfield. my paper tabs are gone and need a repro BAD!
Anyone have any scans or a lead on one?

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

on a side note....
now that my game will have perfect ramps, the last thing it needs is the paper that surrounds the metal chick under the playfield. my paper tabs are gone and need a repro BAD!
Anyone have any scans or a lead on one?

I was considering scanning mine and doing something with it once I tore down the playfield (no idea when I'll be getting to that, though). Not only are the tabs on mine ripped, but there is a rip between the rectangular windows on one side.

I wonder if you could cut the proper shape out in the same plastic material used by the white fuse cover, then put a decal sticker on that.

#114 9 years ago

looking great!

#115 9 years ago

Dude! Those are awesome! Clear is tempting since there's artwork underneath....or pink, keep it original.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Ditto.
Hey, is there any way that Cliffy's protectors can be mailed along with your new ramps? Like a package deal ... but not a deal. Just less shipping costs to Canada.

I have kept a listing of all who showed interest in these ramps and I will work down that list in order when I am ready to start shipping. The first name on that list is YOU! As far as the Cliffy's are concerned, I suppose you could order a set and have them sent to me and then I could include them with your ramps.

#117 9 years ago

Given the performance of the ramps since the games were made, clearly the ramp protectors would be a good idea. Both the clear and the painted are made of PETG which is more durable. However, the transparent blue ramps are made of acrylic and those should certainly have the ramp protectors.

#118 9 years ago

So.... Clear, painted or blue.... I also have red...

Plastic colors.JPGPlastic colors.JPG
#119 9 years ago

Wow! Those look AWESOME.
I'm very anxious to see what they look like on my game.
Well done FreePlay!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#120 9 years ago

they look awesome good work

#121 9 years ago

You are the new ramp man!

Any chance for Mousin Around or Roadshow to get in the que?

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

You are the new ramp man!
Any chance for Mousin Around or roadshow to get in the que?

Who knows. At the moment Swords of Fury is definitely next. After that will be F-14 and probably Space Shuttle. A thought on the Space Shuttle. A friend had loaned me a reproduction ramp which like the original is made out of black ABS. I'm not a fan of ABS. Since the original ramp failed, the reproduction was made out of a much thicker piece of ABS. While plastic comes in many thicknesses, it does not come in "infinite" thicknesses. So off the shelf the original was done in, I'm guessing. 1/8" ABS. The reproduction was done in 3/16"...basically 50% thicker. Gee that must be good, huh? Well maybe not. Have heard stories of problems fitting into the games. A better solution to a black ABS ramp.....that is if you must have black, which I am not a fan of...would be to produce the ramp out of 1/8" PETG and then paint the underside black with Krylon Fusion for plastic. I have tested this one of my High Speed ramps. They look awesome. Not only do you get the "original" black look, from the top side it is very shiny and of course the PETG is much more durable than ABS

#123 9 years ago

who thinks if you painted them glow in dark color ? could be nice looking in the game

#124 9 years ago

Wow, those look amazing! I'm definitely interested in a set, but undecided on which color. I'm leaning toward the blue. Great job!

#125 9 years ago

Fantastic!!!
I can't wait! The Purple looks great, and the clear will be interesting.

Great Work!

#126 9 years ago

Again, those ramps look great. Respect! I am definitly in for a set. You are making it difficult for us to choose which color Red would also be a nice color as there are many red details in the plastics....

Keep up the good work!

/\/\arco

#127 9 years ago

I will likely go clear for durability, but would like to see them installed and photos.

#128 9 years ago

Freeplay,
Those look sweet! Great job. One of these days you really need to make a you-tube video showing the entire process.
Wally

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

A better solution to a black ABS ramp.....that is if you must have black, which I am not a fan of...would be to produce the ramp out of 1/8" PETG and then paint the underside black with Krylon Fusion for plastic. I have tested this one of my High Speed ramps. They look awesome. Not only do you get the "original" black look, from the top side it is very shiny and of course the PETG is much more durable than ABS

and if you were to paint them (from the back side) you could leave parts of it unpainted, like the inside of the tight right hand curve so as the ball goes around it would light the ball up. Or just a thin strip on the sides all along the ramp ball trail to light the ball on it's entire path through the ramp.

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

and if you were to paint them (from the back side) you could leave parts of it unpainted, like the inside of the tight right hand curve so as the ball goes around it would light the ball up. Or just a thin strip on the sides all along the ramp ball trail to light the ball on it's entire path through the ramp.

Ooooo....I really like that idea. There would be many creative ways to work with a clear ramp and paint. What came to mind for me (more than paint) was the EL implementation on the BBB ramp.
--

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

A thought on the Space Shuttle. A friend had loaned me a reproduction ramp which like the original is made out of black ABS. I'm not a fan of ABS. Since the original ramp failed, the reproduction was made out of a much thicker piece of ABS. While plastic comes in many thicknesses, it does not come in "infinite" thicknesses. So off the shelf the original was done in, I'm guessing. 1/8" ABS. The reproduction was done in 3/16"...basically 50% thicker.

Here is how to overcome the thicker ramp repo problem:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-repo-ramp-modification-guide

#132 9 years ago

Also, on Shuttle, don't use the repo as your mold, as it has the 2 ramp spacing too close together.

Use an original.

Let me know if you need an original for your mold.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Ooooo....I really like that idea. There would be many creative ways to work with a clear ramp and paint. What came to mind for me (more than paint) was the EL implementation on the BBB ramp.
--

Chris, with my black Space Shuttle ramp I drilled a bunch of holes in that inside curve and with white leds under the ramp as the ball flys around it it gives the ball a stuttering type look. I did this before led strips were out so I'm going to place strips a ways away from the holes to make the light brighter but to keep the light dark transition as the ball goes around.

IMGA0798.JPGIMGA0798.JPG IMGA0799.JPGIMGA0799.JPG
#134 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Also, on Shuttle, don't use the repo as your mold, as it has the 2 ramp spacing too close together.
Use an original.
Let me know if you need an original for your mold.

Thanks, Vid. Good call. I may take you up on that when the time comes.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

This really does open up a lot of possibilities. While I was experimenting painting the Genesis ramps, I was going to paint one in a rainbow fade.

#136 9 years ago

I'd like to see them in the game. Don't have one, but like Hilton, it's on my radar. The idea of leaving parts clear, is a pretty cool idea as well.

#137 9 years ago

Just imagine what a professional airbrush artist could do with a clear ramp.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just imagine what a professional airbrush artist could do with a clear ramp.

Or think of screening art on the flat sheet of PETG, then molding it..............

#139 9 years ago

Freeplay40! You sir are amazing, hope you have a great weekend!

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Or think of screening art on the flat sheet of PETG, then molding it..............

Hmmmm. I wonder if that could be done? PETG can be formed at temperatures much lower than acrylic so this could be a possibility. Might be difficult to properly place the art as the plastic moves when it sags in the heating process and then gets pulled and draped over a mold. Medium would need to flexible as the plastic stretches.

#141 9 years ago

I am certainly no artist but use an air brush quite a bit for pinball. To me it's just a great little spray gun. I'm sure there are others out there far more proficient. Anyway, if anyone would be interested in painting their own I will share what I have used to reproduce the color on the ramp. The paints I am using are FASKOLOR brand. These paints are water based and designed for radio controlled car bodies and can handle flex. The colors I am using are a mix of Faslucent Pink #40308 and Faslucent Blue # 40306. In addition I added a little Createx white to lighten the color for the test ramp. I already ran out of paint so will order more on Monday and in addition to the 2 FASKOLOR's I already used I will get some FASTKOLOR white.

#142 9 years ago

That made me think of Bob Ross, the Joy of Painting guy, RIP.

--
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

That made me think of Bob Ross, the Joy of Painting guy, RIP

"Hmmm....that tree is a little bit lonely.....we'll give him a friend here"
Forgive me for being off-topic

#144 9 years ago

Freeplay40; Just want to make sure that I'm on your list, so I just sent you a PM. They look great!

#145 9 years ago

Freeplay40,

You should seriously consider buying out Starship Fantasy, (aka pinballinc)

Every since they took over for pinballinc, they just don't show much desire to get any new ramps made.

I also was told that Starship Fantasy will soon no longer be selling individual ramps. You'll have to buy them as a set, that is, if the pin has more than one plastic ramp.

#146 9 years ago

Ramps arrived OK to Chris. He said he will post photos this coming week. I ordered plastic last week and I have clear which is also used for the painted ones. I will likely start forming those tomorrow. The blue however is a couple weeks out. I only ordered enough blue for 12 sets assuming I could order more if that color was popular. When Chris posts photos and if you are interested in the blue please let me know. If the demand for blue is higher I will increase the initial order before it ships.

We're almost there!

#147 9 years ago

The new ramps look great.
Thanks free play for all your hard work.
Your going to make alot of genesis owners very happy

#148 9 years ago

The ramps made it to my house safely today.
I opened the box and took a look at a couple of them.
Wow!

I have a busy weekend, but in the next week I'll install them on my Genesis, take good pics, and post them here. I think everyone will be very happy. The ramps are just beautiful.
--
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#149 9 years ago

I almost think Blue would blend in too much with the PF.

I have a Genesis that I totally stripped down then touched up and cleared the PF on. New plastics etc, I had two sets of ramps that I was able to get a set out of. I was in the process of making a plug to vacuum form a new set but this may save me some trouble.

Quoted from dgoett:

everything I hoped they would be.
I think i'm skipping the purple painted ones. I know that's original, but since I have a decaled cabinet, mines not exactly stock. my choice boils down to blue or clear.
guess I'll wait to see them installed to make a decision.
most excellent job freeplay40!
setting aside some money now.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

I almost think Blue would blend in too much with the PF.
I have a Genesis that I totally stripped down then touched up and cleared the PF on. New plastics etc, I had two sets of ramps that I was able to get a set out of. I was in the process of making a plug to vacuum form a new set but this may save me some trouble.

Oh if you only knew the amount of trial and error Mark went through for these. You should thank your lucky stars you didn't have to go through what he went through. If his ramps were made by a for profit company they would cost 3 times as much as what he charges.

There are 611 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genesis-ramps/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.