IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7439 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 66.
#351 9 years ago

// Error: Image 268601 not found //

A bit closer to stock.

Does anyone know the correct size. Can't seem to find a rubber diagram online...

Also as far as original settings? 5 ball. No shoot again timer?

Thanks in advance..

IMG_20140802_124745851.jpgIMG_20140802_124745851.jpg
#352 9 years ago

There is only one rubber on Siamese post it is "I" ring gottlieb number A17493 pages 41 and 42 in manual.
Gottlieb numbers chart to inches may be on pinwiki. If you order from Steve Young he likes his part numbers.

Quoted from xrayman:

No shoot again timer?

If you mean losing your ball 10 secs after shooting into play. NOPE Black Hole has no "awe poor baby" ball save timer, your tough luck.

#353 9 years ago

Thanks for the help.

That was one piece of rubber that was way too big so I double wrapped it for now.

I'll order the correct part and set that timer to zero.

#354 9 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

and set that timer to zero

????? timer ????? pascal board set???? or other?

#355 9 years ago

Niwumpf computer.

On a different note. I've got a top center pop bumper with a stiff spring that often will not fire. The switch sits a bit high and it seems that sometimes a slow ball from twelve o'clock just bounces off without activating.

At other times, it has gone into machine gun firing mode for four to six cycles. And it blew is fuse last night but still works after fuse replacement.

Switch adjustment issue?

#357 9 years ago
Quoted from xrayman:

I've got a top center pop bumper with a stiff spring that often will not fire.

Well give your self a good 2hr block of time and take it apart, remove the sandpaper "floating mylar" ring if there and install a new lamp socket and spring while you are into it. Spring may be broken, binding, or spoon switch just gummed up.

The machine gunning sound like a pop bumper driver board issue. You could swap with another pop board and see if problem follows. That is only a five minute deal.

Figured it was on wiki thanks for the link. So 7/16" for the double post.

#358 9 years ago

I just snagged this game. Lets get this thread hot again!!! Guy said the game powers but doesn't start. I still need to attach the head and fire it up.

#359 9 years ago

Here my find! Has some issues to fix but I'm excited.

20140806_121728.jpg20140806_121728.jpg 20140806_184947.jpg20140806_184947.jpg 20140806_212028.jpg20140806_212028.jpg 20140806_184953.jpg20140806_184953.jpg
#360 9 years ago

Just acquired a PI80 card Janin to replace all the old boards .

Hope playing soon for the first time

#361 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

There is only one rubber on Siamese post it is "I" ring gottlieb number A17493 pages 41 and 42 in manual.
Gottlieb numbers chart to inches may be on pinwiki. If you order from Steve Young he likes his part numbers.

If you mean losing your ball 10 secs after shooting into play. NOPE Black Hole has no "awe poor baby" ball save timer, your tough luck.

A-17493 7/16" White Ring
Per pinwiki
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

#362 9 years ago

How have you guys dealt with the excessive wear underneath the pop bumpers?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/22#post-1829420
vid has an interesting suggestion. I'm trying to choose a color.
-mof

#363 9 years ago
Quoted from woz:

And this why you need 7 digit scoring on BH Finished the conversion a few weeks ago and all went well. Still awaiting my Player 4 display though

For those that want to convert their games to 7 digit scoring all the info is here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-any-system-80-6-digit-gottlieb-to-80a-7-digit
Thanks to Steve (blownfuse) for compiling all the conversion guide. I the followed the instructions verbatim which confirms the wiring and pinouts are correct Why did Gottlieb have to completely remap the connector pinout when they went from 6 to 7 digits? Grrrrr!!
The hardest part was finding some decent wire that was long enough and similar in colour to match the existing wire from an old wiring loom.
I also got to use a friends Hakko desoldering tool to remove the original PROMS and I must say that I was very impressed with how well it worked. Think I may pick one up myself now.
Also thanks to Ed at GPE for supplying the PROM adapter.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=140-101
The quick boot is a nice addition using the new PROM though it took me by surprise the first time I powered up!
5X bonus lit and 302,180 bonus on the lower pf I think I ended up with 350K.

IMG_20140522_213154393.jpg 161 KB

Just received the last display and now the 7 digit conversion is complete!

Has anyone converted an MGOW to 7 digit? I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble but it would be cool to have

BTW all the 7 digit displays I have came from Cavemans that had been parted out - not sure how many working ones are left out there of that title.

Black Hole 7 digit.jpgBlack Hole 7 digit.jpg

#364 9 years ago

I have a 7 digit MGoW. It's borderline to do a conversion on it because it's a tough game to roll over anyway. However, it is nice to see that 7th digit when you do.

Steve

Quoted from woz:

Just received the last display and now the 7 digit conversion is complete!
Has anyone converted an MGOW to 7 digit? I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble but it would be cool to have
BTW all the 7 digit displays I have came from Cavemans that had been parted out - not sure how many working ones are left out there of that title.

Black Hole 7 digit.jpg 125 KB

#365 9 years ago

how i would love a Blackhole. Grew up on it but so hard to find!

#366 9 years ago

Anyone have scans of the pop bumper area(s), or a pf they could scan?

#367 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone have scans of the pop bumper area(s), or a pf they could scan?

It would be HELLA cool to have decals that cover the areas of wear EXACTLY under where the old non-stick mylar patches used to be, then decal and re-cover 'em with sticky mylar...

-mof

#368 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

It would be HELLA cool to have decals that cover the areas of wear EXACTLY under where the old non-stick mylar patches used to be, then decal and re-cover 'em with sticky mylar...
-mof

That's what I'm thinking!

1 week later
#369 9 years ago

Got sucked into a BH today - but I escaped almost unscathed!

All four corners got cabinet protectors under the legs; the front legs got new tees and new bolts as well. Did get a bit a head bump from the playfield during that part - got a little careless pulling out the old tees.

Added a lamp to the upper right corner of the playfield and another one at the base of the tube. The tube lamp is purple although it doesn't show up on camera too well.

IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0019.jpg

Also changed the relay connection to make the lower playfield overheads 6V. Trying a combination of cool white and blue right now. It shows a little bright since the window is out to prep the ledge with a little paint for a replacement on Mon.

IMG_0020.jpgIMG_0020.jpg

#370 9 years ago

Hey guys.. Needing some help if possible. I purchased a BH and they guy had just put new plastics on. However, he did not put the clear plastic that is under the main plastic at top left corner, near the hole that drops to the 2nd level. Its clear and guilds the ball around the loop to the hole. Since he did not put this part back in, the ball hangs up on the bulbs and back of the posts.
Any chance someone may have an old one, extra? Or maybe someone could trace it for me and mark the locations for the 3 holes for the mounts?
I found this photo showing the one part I don't have, its shaped like a light bulb on the top.
Thanks,
Dirk

BLclearplastic.JPGBLclearplastic.JPG
#371 9 years ago

Oh wow, crazy that that is missing! Totally essential part! Good luck!

#372 9 years ago
Quoted from DirkAkron:

Hey guys.. Needing some help if possible. I purchased a BH and they guy had just put new plastics on. However, he did not put the clear plastic that is under the main plastic at top left corner, near the hole that drops to the 2nd level. Its clear and guilds the ball around the loop to the hole. Since he did not put this part back in, the ball hangs up on the bulbs and back of the posts.
Any chance someone may have an old one, extra? Or maybe someone could trace it for me and mark the locations for the 3 holes for the mounts?
I found this photo showing the one part I don't have, its shaped like a light bulb on the top.
Thanks,
Dirk

I have a used one....... I live in Europe, can ship to the USA although it is a bit expensive. PM me if you are interested.

#373 9 years ago
Quoted from DirkAkron:

Thanks,
Dirk

BLclearplastic.JPG 51 KB

I can scan or trace. Also I was going to order new plastics, but just haven't had time to work on bh yet.....

#374 9 years ago

If you can get a scan of the piece you're missing you might be able have a local plastics shop make it for you. We have a place here in Portland called Tap Plastics and they've been able to create clear plastics for me at very reasonable prices.

#375 9 years ago
Quoted from DirkAkron:

Thanks,
Dirk

The plastic that covers that area, covers the whole top 1/5 of the pf. If you'd like, I can scan the whole thing, but you'll need to stitch it together and print it for the plastic.

bh pf.jpgbh pf.jpg

BLclearplastic.JPG 51 KB

#376 9 years ago

ohhhh I re-read, I think you wanted the clear plastic UNDER the colored one.. I can scan that.

#377 9 years ago

I shipped Dirk one of these. He should be good in a couple days

#378 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

ah cool. I just sent him the scan last night, but if you shipped him a real one even better! Be nice to remake the clear plastics as mine was yellow'ish

#379 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Thank you Cheddar !!

#380 9 years ago

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on my next step. Restoring a Black Hole. I'm having issues with the coil that resets the lower playfield 4-drop target group always being on. Here are the steps I've done so far:

-Gottlieb ground wire mods
-Rebuilt the power supply board
-Repinned the A3-J1 connector between the MPU and driver boards
-Replaced the power transistor and secondary transistor that drives the coil on the driver board
-Checked the switches on all 4 of the drops

When I first started troubleshooting this, it would happen about 4 games in. Now it happens almost immediately when launching the 1st game. Thinking it has to be some kind of a short and all my dinking around has made it worse. I'm about out of ideas on anything else would cause that coil to always have 44V driving it. Any ideas on my next step? I've plum run out.

#381 9 years ago

Have you made sure the A1J4 connection is good from the CPU to driver board? With the power off, try re-seating it to see if the issue improves. You may have to clean, re-tin the pads and replace the connector clip to make it solid.

Steve

#382 9 years ago

Had a pretty good first ball last night: 5X multiplier, 2G lit, extra ball earned and still two balls in play from multiball.

Needless to say balls 2 and 3 and the extra ball were shite!

BH_IMG_20140831_120624400.jpgBH_IMG_20140831_120624400.jpg

#383 9 years ago

Happy to say I just picked up one of my grail pins. Looks to be lightly routed. Here's some PF pics. I will post more pics when everything is up and running.

IMG_1272.JPGIMG_1272.JPG IMG_1273.JPGIMG_1273.JPG IMG_1275.JPGIMG_1275.JPG
#384 9 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Happy to say I just picked up one of my grail pins. Looks to be lightly routed. Here's some PF pics. I will post more pics when everything is up and running.

Wow, you look to be double lucky in this case... congrats!
-mof

#385 9 years ago

anyone have good paint near the pops or a pf to scan so we could make new decals for the pop bumpers?

I was thinking if we got a scan we could just make circular decals that would go like the mylar did.

#386 9 years ago

Well just finished putting my BH together. The good and the bad is I have a feeling why this the playfield looks so nice without any wear. It was probably broke most of the time. Waiting on Ivan to give me a hand troubleshooting the issues.

IMG_1276.JPGIMG_1276.JPG
#388 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

The part arrived today and I had installed within minutes !! I thank you again Cheddar !!

#389 9 years ago
Quoted from DirkAkron:

The part arrived today and I had installed within minutes !! I thank you again Cheddar !!

Enjoy!

#390 9 years ago

Just broke 3,000,000 on a 3 ball game

BH just keeps sucking me in for more. I love this game! except when you just light 2G and then the ball immediately drains and you have to start over again.

#391 9 years ago

top five most infuriatingly brutal (yet uncannily common!) Black Hole moments:

5. The obvious -- "RE-ENTRY ATTEMPT HAS FAILED."

4. Even worse -- light both lower playfield gravity accelerators. head downstairs to rack up a monster bonus. immediately brick a shot and drain. re-entry failed, AND accelerators reset.

3. lock a ball on the upper playfield. drain. watch as the locked ball drops against the dead flippers. you can't help it. you know they're unpowered, but you mash the flipper buttons anyway trying in vain to save that doomed ball.

2. "YES! I DID IT! MULTIBALL! Here comes the second ball ... oh crap ... oh no. did i complete a bank downstairs before losing those two balls? i did, right? no? nooooooooo!"

1. try a normally-safe catch or cradle on the upper right flipper, only to have the ball push the re-entry gate open, squeeze through, and drain! DEVIOUS! It looks safe! Is it even supposed to do that?? OK, OK, one more game....

#392 9 years ago

Hey Steve,

Think we are talking about the same connector. You say to reset the A1-J4. That is the connector from the mpu to the driver board with the 3" wires or so, yes? That is the one I repined all the connectors already. Is it possible to still have an issue where you would have to retin the pads above and beyond new pins? Seems pretty tight, especially with the new wire. Thanks!

#393 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

top five most infuriatingly brutal (yet uncannily common!) Black Hole moments:
5. The obvious -- "RE-ENTRY ATTEMPT HAS FAILED."
4. Even worse -- light both lower playfield gravity accelerators. head downstairs to rack up a monster bonus. immediately brick a shot and drain. re-entry failed, AND accelerators reset.
3. lock a ball on the upper playfield. drain. watch as the locked ball drops against the dead flippers. you can't help it. you know they're unpowered, but you mash the flipper buttons anyway trying in vain to save that doomed ball.
2. "YES! I DID IT! MULTIBALL! Here comes the second ball ... oh crap ... oh no. did i complete a bank downstairs before losing those two balls? i did, right? no? nooooooooo!"
1. try a normally-safe catch or cradle on the upper right flipper, only to have the ball push the re-entry gate open, squeeze through, and drain! DEVIOUS! It looks safe! Is it even supposed to do that?? OK, OK, one more game....

I think you summed up the BH experience perfectly!

#394 9 years ago

If you've already rebuilt the connector, all the hard work is done. I still would re-tin all the pads since they can also be a source problem.

Steve

Quoted from Slinger:

Hey Steve,
Think we are talking about the same connector. You say to reset the A1-J4. That is the connector from the mpu to the driver board with the 3" wires or so, yes? That is the one I repined all the connectors already. Is it possible to still have an issue where you would have to retin the pads above and beyond new pins? Seems pretty tight, especially with the new wire. Thanks!

1 week later
#395 9 years ago

just thought I'd give a heads up that I have my Black Hole up for sale. Won't boot into demo mode and displays flicker. $800.

details on my craigslist ad
washingtondc.craigslist.org link

shoot me a PM if interested

#396 9 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

just thought I'd give a heads up that I have my Black Hole up for sale. Won't boot into demo mode and displays flicker. $800.
details on my craigslist ad
" target="_blank">washingtondc.craigslist.org link
shoot me a PM if interested

someone talk me out of or into this game Owned a BH 3 diff times...Love the challenge and this one looks nice....how hard is it to bring a non working BH back to life...who knows

#397 9 years ago

I think they're easy, you should buy it.

Steve

#398 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I think they're easy, you should buy it.
Steve

Be careful Steve...I think I called you 3-4 times when fixing one of my early BH's

#399 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

someone talk me out of or into this game Owned a BH 3 diff times...Love the challenge and this one looks nice....how hard is it to bring a non working BH back to life...who knows

do it, do it, do it, do it.

#400 9 years ago

LOL, right now as some of my local friends will tell ya, I'm pretty hard to locate these days. I figure the way things are going, 2015 has to be better than 2014.

Steve

Quoted from billsfanmd:

Be careful Steve...I think I called you 3-4 times when fixing one of my early BH's

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.