PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (10 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 years ago

Count me in! BH is almost pinball perfection IMHO. Owned my BH since 2004 and it has been very reliable (hope i didn't jinx it) since I went over it and did all the upgrades.

I still remember when I first saw BH in the back of an arcade in Bristol, UK in 1981/2. I was almost scared to play the game and it was set at 50p/game which back then was equivalent to $1.25! I played until my money ran out (not long!). I never got to play another BH until I got one in my own collection - every game I came across on location was out of order (no surprise)!

#5 10 years ago

Just for a laugh here's the homemade reset board that was in my BH when I purchased it I haven't dared to touch it since I got the game so assume it is working fine.

BH Reset Board Hack.JPGBH Reset Board Hack.JPG

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Here's a simple BH mod I did a while back for those that never saw it.
Steve
» YouTube video

Nice! Details please...

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I adjust all my gottliebs to line up with the inlane guides, i dont like the way some Gotts look droopy..
It has not affected any gameplay at all, and make drop catches a bit easier as well, still not a gimmie, but a bit better..
I also adjusted the lower bats on my BH too...
I think it has made the multiplier shot down there a bit harder, as well as the capture shot...
more challenge = more fun.. both shots are still makable though, they are not impossible..

Same here, I always line the bats up with the guide. As in most things in life, droopy is not good

#63 10 years ago

Another reason to get the upper right standup targets is that they light the lower yellow drop targets for 3000 (3 Ball). Now if you have both gforce lamps lit (for 3x scoring) lit and 5x multiplier lit each yellow drop target is worth 3000 x 3 x 5 = 45,000

My gameplay strategy is this:

Get at least one gforce lit on lower pf by completing either upper drop target bank.
Complete all four (or at least 3) yellow standups to light lower yellow drops
Avoid going to lower pf until the above two tasks have been completed as the bonus you earn will be minimal.
When you do get to the lower pf, complete 3 bank ASAP to open return gate at tube.
Whack away at the yellow drops and increase bonus multiplier by completing lower loop.

I don't usually try and setup for multiball but when I do get it it really can be an amazing pinball experience. I can get into an almost zen like state looking through pf window not really focusing on any ball in particular just trying to react to action on top and bottom pfs simultaneously. You'll understand when you get there....

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

My high score so far on this particular game.
Steve

BH high score 3-30-12.jpg 26 KB

Show off! One day I'll get 7 digit scoring going on mine...

1 week later
#105 10 years ago

Love,love, love my Black Hole!!!! It's almost pinball perfection IMHO....but the one thing I hate, more than draining the ball back through the gate, is getting 2G lit and then having the ball drain immediately, meaning you have to start all over again. grrrr just happened to me. I had all the yellow standups completed, knocked the last drop target down to light 2G and then bam, STDM. No chance to even go to the lower pf and rack up some monster bonus. If you just have 1G lit and drain then it carries over to the next ball.

If I were able to change the rules, I would make 2G carry over from ball to ball until the lower playfield has been played at least once.

Rant over.

1 month later
#165 10 years ago

Just had a great game on my beloved BH 2.4Million on 3 ball setting and only a million of my high score. I keep my high score sheet in the game and as I was looking for it I found a hard drive I had stashed away for safe keeping that I thought I had lost

BH is the fastest game I have ever played. Mine seems to be getting faster with old age... or is it me getting slower?

2 weeks later
#205 10 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

OK - another batch has been made. Most have been claimed but still have five remaining and posted them to my website.
Ed

Thanks for the heads up Ed. Just ordered my adapter

#216 10 years ago

My shooter looks the same as yours (and my other Gottliebs) - never worried about it.

#238 10 years ago

I got three multiballs in one 3 ball game. On two occasions though I didn't clear either lower target bank to gain re-entry Grrrrrrrr

I love this game!

2 weeks later
#262 10 years ago

Going to spend the evening with crimper in hand and convert my BH to seven digits Wish me luck!

#267 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Good luck woz, I'm here if you need me by PM.
Steve

Thanks Steve!

Had a good night; added the additional wiring and re-pinned the Player 1 connector - that's enough for tonight!

Minor problem .... the nipple on the back of the 7 digit display in Player 1 position is interfered with by a screw that secures a PCB standoff. Will look at that tomorrow.

IMG_20140412_222301769.jpgIMG_20140412_222301769.jpg
IMG_20140412_222222703.jpgIMG_20140412_222222703.jpg

Post edited by woz: added pic

#269 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

If any of your display tubes don't have a protector cap on them, you can put it in that player position, it should clear the screw then. Or you can take a little time and countersink the screw into the board (what I ended up doing so it would never bother me if I swapped them around). I used a 3/8" paddle bit for the countersink and slowly let it cut the depth less than 1/8".
Steve

I only have 3 displays right now and they all have the cap installed so countersinking the screw sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the tip.

1 week later
#287 10 years ago

The upper playfield looks nice as it has factory(?) mylar installed. Good luck with the restoration - good to see another BH saved!

1 month later
#304 9 years ago

And this why you need 7 digit scoring on BH Finished the conversion a few weeks ago and all went well. Still awaiting my Player 4 display though

IMG_20140522_213154393.jpgIMG_20140522_213154393.jpg

For those that want to convert their games to 7 digit scoring all the info is here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-any-system-80-6-digit-gottlieb-to-80a-7-digit

Thanks to Steve (blownfuse) for compiling all the conversion guide. I the followed the instructions verbatim which confirms the wiring and pinouts are correct Why did Gottlieb have to completely remap the connector pinout when they went from 6 to 7 digits? Grrrrr!!

The hardest part was finding some decent wire that was long enough and similar in colour to match the existing wire from an old wiring loom.

I also got to use a friends Hakko desoldering tool to remove the original PROMS and I must say that I was very impressed with how well it worked. Think I may pick one up myself now.

Also thanks to Ed at GPE for supplying the PROM adapter.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=140-101

The quick boot is a nice addition using the new PROM though it took me by surprise the first time I powered up!

5X bonus lit and 302,180 bonus on the lower pf I think I ended up with 350K.

IMG_20140522_212653061.jpgIMG_20140522_212653061.jpg

#307 9 years ago

I only really needed one 7 digit display as I only ever use the Player 1 position anyway

#308 9 years ago

BH has been my goto game for the last few months...I just can't stop myself! My game seems to be getting faster...or is it just me slowing down?

A few tweaks to the rules and it would be pinball perfection.

#311 9 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

Also, the lower play field score does not tally or register as part of the game score

The lower playfield only scores bonus points which are displayed in the lower playfield display.

#314 9 years ago

Bonus points scored on the lower playfield are added to the main score when the ball in play drains in the outhole.

Displays being garbled: the bonus and credit displays share the same 7448 segment driver Z23 on the MPU board. I would start looking there. Things to try...

- Check that A10P5 and A10J5 are securely plugged together.

- With the power OFF disconnect the bonus display and see if that changes anything. If not reconnect the bonus display and disconnect the credit display. Don't forget to turn power OFF when disconnecting/reconnecting the displays or you will do damage to the MPU!!!!!!!

2 months later
#363 9 years ago
Quoted from woz:

And this why you need 7 digit scoring on BH Finished the conversion a few weeks ago and all went well. Still awaiting my Player 4 display though

For those that want to convert their games to 7 digit scoring all the info is here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-any-system-80-6-digit-gottlieb-to-80a-7-digit
Thanks to Steve (blownfuse) for compiling all the conversion guide. I the followed the instructions verbatim which confirms the wiring and pinouts are correct Why did Gottlieb have to completely remap the connector pinout when they went from 6 to 7 digits? Grrrrr!!
The hardest part was finding some decent wire that was long enough and similar in colour to match the existing wire from an old wiring loom.
I also got to use a friends Hakko desoldering tool to remove the original PROMS and I must say that I was very impressed with how well it worked. Think I may pick one up myself now.
Also thanks to Ed at GPE for supplying the PROM adapter.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=140-101
The quick boot is a nice addition using the new PROM though it took me by surprise the first time I powered up!
5X bonus lit and 302,180 bonus on the lower pf I think I ended up with 350K.

IMG_20140522_213154393.jpg 161 KB

Just received the last display and now the 7 digit conversion is complete!

Has anyone converted an MGOW to 7 digit? I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble but it would be cool to have

BTW all the 7 digit displays I have came from Cavemans that had been parted out - not sure how many working ones are left out there of that title.

Black Hole 7 digit.jpgBlack Hole 7 digit.jpg

2 weeks later
#382 9 years ago

Had a pretty good first ball last night: 5X multiplier, 2G lit, extra ball earned and still two balls in play from multiball.

Needless to say balls 2 and 3 and the extra ball were shite!

BH_IMG_20140831_120624400.jpgBH_IMG_20140831_120624400.jpg

#390 9 years ago

Just broke 3,000,000 on a 3 ball game

BH just keeps sucking me in for more. I love this game! except when you just light 2G and then the ball immediately drains and you have to start over again.

#393 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

top five most infuriatingly brutal (yet uncannily common!) Black Hole moments:
5. The obvious -- "RE-ENTRY ATTEMPT HAS FAILED."
4. Even worse -- light both lower playfield gravity accelerators. head downstairs to rack up a monster bonus. immediately brick a shot and drain. re-entry failed, AND accelerators reset.
3. lock a ball on the upper playfield. drain. watch as the locked ball drops against the dead flippers. you can't help it. you know they're unpowered, but you mash the flipper buttons anyway trying in vain to save that doomed ball.
2. "YES! I DID IT! MULTIBALL! Here comes the second ball ... oh crap ... oh no. did i complete a bank downstairs before losing those two balls? i did, right? no? nooooooooo!"
1. try a normally-safe catch or cradle on the upper right flipper, only to have the ball push the re-entry gate open, squeeze through, and drain! DEVIOUS! It looks safe! Is it even supposed to do that?? OK, OK, one more game....

I think you summed up the BH experience perfectly!

4 months later
#482 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

yes it does. it is correct. out of order black lights the 1k and hole out of order does the 10K rollover.

Well I learned something today. After all the games I've played on BH I didn't know this!

#492 9 years ago

Does Pascal's board support 7 digit displays (for those of us that have done the conversion)?

4 months later
#589 8 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Yeah normally I would get the the two G's lit, 5x, spot all the yellow targets and hammer away on the 4 drop targets below.

That's been my strategy as well. Uniformed players will shoot for the lower pf because it's just so cool but before they have set it up for maximum potential scoring.

#600 8 years ago

BH Proto story here (scroll down to "The Story Behind Black Hole - Joe Cicak")

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2006/index6.html

and also here:

http://www.geocities.ws/system80pins/Blackhole-prototype-2.html

3 months later
#698 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

haha yes it is ruthless. definitely one of the toughest games to get to multiball on! the most infuriating is when you FINALLY do get it ... on like your tenth game of the night ... and then drain the two balls on the lower playfield without completing a bank. it forces you to watch as it shoots both balls down the right outlane, then drains the upper ball from the lock. no multiball for you! try again! hahaha. fast, pretty, evil game.

Super fast game - I waxed my playfield the other night and it's just wayy too fast for me right now! I would say BH is the fastest game I have ever played.

Another scenario that seems to occur all too often recently: setting up the lower pf for big bonus scores by lighting both lower pf G-Force lamps and yellow targets then SDTM. There is no carry over of the G-Force multipliers or yellow lamps and you have to start all over again

#701 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

also love when i make the mistake of trying to catch the ball on the right flipper, only to have it roll up, push the re-entry gate open, and drain.

....or when you aren't even trying to catch the ball and it just rolls up the flipper and through the gate. bye bye.

A good multiball on Black Hole is a surreal experience when you have balls on both playfields. I find myself not really focusing on anything in particular and I just get sucked into the game ...

1 week later
#722 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Yeah those are a fine substitute. Beefier.
I remember there being a service bulletin about pull up resistor value. Make sure to check. If memory correct 4.7k is what you want not 10k. When I checked mine you follow wire from transistor to diode/resistor boards. And mine was already factory correct. But definitely something to check. Measure with meter to make sure its value is good. Within 10-20% your fine.
Have fun working on the bottom pf kind of sucks. Definitely lean upper pf against head and watch where the tube rests so you don't scratch it all up.

pullup1.JPGpullup1.JPG

pullup2.JPGpullup2.JPG

2 years later
#1531 5 years ago

Got my new high score today!! As per usual the majority of the points were scored on 1 ball lol

First pic is my bonus during ball 1 with 5X mult lit. When I took the pic I had just finished playing a multi-ball. The majority of the bonus was scored with only the 2G playfield multiplier lit. Game is set for 3 balls per game and earned 1 extra ball. I only beat my previous high score by 90K after getting 2.8M on the first ball

IMG_20180718_163937 (resized).jpgIMG_20180718_163937 (resized).jpgIMG_20180718_164415_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20180718_164415_01 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1541 5 years ago

Clean and check the U relay contacts as they control the upper flippers and GI.

6 months later
#1699 5 years ago

Anyone installed a set of Mirco BH playfields yet? I've got mine ready, just trying to find the time as I have a few other projects to finish first.

8 months later
#1784 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I recently decided to try out the modification outlined on pinwiki to eliminate the click-click noise in attract mode here: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole#Stopping_that_Gate_Chatter_in_Attract_Mode
Ran into an odd discovery along the way though. The modification worked as intended, it stops the re-entry gate from clicking on and off during attract mode but also allows the gate to work properly in gameplay. However, I'm still getting a click-click during attract mode! It took a while to track it down, but i found the solenoid-activated ball gate leading to the outhole on the lower playfield is *also* activating at the same rhythm as the re-entry gate had been. Is that normal? If not, any ideas where i should start looking for the solution? Should i just add another switch to the game over relay to disable that one in attract mode as well?

frunch I did this mod to my Black Hole last night.... That gate clicking during attract mode has been bugging me for years.... but not any more lol.

The clicking you're still hearing is the L relay on the lower playfield which controls the lower playfield GI during attract mode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.