PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (10 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blownfuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 10 years ago

That has got to be the funniest System 80 hack I've ever seen.

Steve

#8 10 years ago

Here's a simple BH mod I did a while back for those that never saw it.

Steve

#10 10 years ago

LOL, I'm glad I don't know the answer to that Gerry.

Steve

#13 10 years ago

I always liked the way the tube lit up on BBB so that was my version of it for BH. To light the tube, I used one of my LED post mod boards and installed super bright blue LED's on it. It's mounted to the cut out part of the playfield near to the upkicker tube edge so the light will travel through the tube to the end and light the tube up. I used the open gate light to power it. The only problem I ran into was the tube itself, it wouldn't carry the light through it very well because the plastic was old and beat up. My solution was to make a new upkicker tube, worked much better after that. You need pics too?

Steve

#19 10 years ago

I remember your beautiful restoration Chris.

Steve

Quoted from ChrisM:

I bought my Black Hole back in 1999 from an individual seller in San Antonio, TX. This was one that Craig Hassell and I both saw an ad for in the paper, and actually how we met. Picked the game up for $100. The cabinet was delaminating, the card tray had the word "JUNK" sharpied on it, the playfield had wear, and the boards were dead.
60 hours of hand repaint on playfield with nine coats of Varathane, 40 hours of cabinet repair and repaint (no stencils back then), lots of board work, and a heap of NOS parts where I could find them, ND this baby is fast, furious, and exceedingly difficult to beat!!! But it's a true keeper, it's not leaving the house.
(SIDE NOTE) - I remember dragging it in pieces upstairs because the sheer weight of this thing is monstrous....
Chris

#37 10 years ago

I have the stock part on the tube. I solved my cannon ball upkicker problem by converting to a A-20095 flipper coil and adding a EOS switch to it. That way, I can adjust the strength of the hit to the ball thus making it travel at what ever speed I want it to up to the main playfield. EOS opens late = cannonball, opens early = trickle onto the playfield. Also, this mod helps save the coil should a ground issue occur and locking on the coil. if that should happen, it's no worse than holding a flipper button on for a long time. It worked so well, I talked Cliffy into stocking the bracket and switch. Here's the PinWiki article on doing this mod.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Black_Hole_Ball_Lift_Kicker_Mod

#40 10 years ago

Gerry, it looks like the ball is hitting the edge of the playfield, there's an adjustment to correct this.

Steve

#42 10 years ago

Here's a pic of my upkicker gate shield for pezpunk. Not sure why it came out dark with the flash on.

Steve

upkicker gate shield.jpgupkicker gate shield.jpg

#44 10 years ago

HSTD is L11, this is controlled by Q11 on the driver board (MPS-A13).

Steve

#59 10 years ago

My high score so far on this particular game.

Steve

BH high score 3-30-12.jpgBH high score 3-30-12.jpg
#72 10 years ago

The easiest way I know of t get high scores quickly on BH (with the glass on ) in 5 ball play is to set the game up for multi-ball, get both G forces lit, go downstairs and knock down at least one the drop target and then trap the ball in the saucer. Then trap the second ball in the main playfield saucer. 3rd ball goes downstairs and try to knock down the remaining 2 targets so the gate opens and let one ball go so you only have to control one ball. Then you keep shooting the saucer in the upper left corner. When you hit it, the saucer is worth 12,000 points because of both G forces (6000 with one G force). Then you hold the left flipper up when the saucer releases the ball and it'll set up on the right flipper so you can do it again. Rinse and repeat a bunch of times, throw in 5 loops, maybe knock down the other four DT's and before you know it, you've got 350,000 in bonus X 5 and a EB. Do it twice in one game and you flip it a few. I had over 5 mill on my other BH, that's what got me thinking about changing to 7 digit displays.

Steve

#74 10 years ago

Here ya go. I have the 6 to 7 ROM file, no more 6 second delay at start up, also has a dip switch free play option. So far, I've converted 4 games to 7 digit basically making a System 80 into 80A.

Steve

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-any-system-80-6-digit-gottlieb-to-80a-7-digit

Quoted from pezpunk:

i neeeeed that 7-digit display mod! my high score is about 1.9 million but of course it only registers as 900 thousand.

#78 10 years ago

Too far away for me.

Steve

#92 10 years ago

I don't like playing any game that's easy, to me, easy equals boring. I like 5 ball play on most early SS games, because the games won't hold back, they "bring it". So I have to as well.

Steve

#93 10 years ago

DS 17, 3 ball play on, 5 ball play off. DS 20 is novelty mode, off is normal play.

Steve

Quoted from mof:

Ok, so is 3-ball is set with dip-switch 20 ?
-mof

#95 10 years ago

Welcome to the club, another good addition.

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

Count me in as member or did i miss open enrollment?

#108 10 years ago

That'll teach you to let your BH listen to whatever music it wants.

Steve

#113 10 years ago

I'll never have to worry about rolling my game over.

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

That is neat an easy way to do a divide by 10 scoring scheme so that you never have to worry about roll over.

#114 10 years ago

I enjoy the torture so it's a 5 ball only game for me.

Steve

Quoted from TurboBengal:

If you can reach multiball every game its usually designed for you to as a goal.. ie Class of 1812. If you reach multiball every time in Black Hole (especially 3 ball game/5-ball rules) you are pinball Jesus.
More power to you for wanting your games hard, but I think this game is plenty tough most days.
Some days if it were any more frustrating, the game may have ended up on its side.

#116 10 years ago

Most display issues in pair displays are usually at the CPU display connectors or on the CPU board (in your case with segment h, it would be bonus and status displays). If the problem only shows on one display, the problem is usually at that display, either connector related or on the display board itself. If I were a betting man and the problem is on one display only, I'd say the problem is in the punch pin type crimps Gottlieb used. ***With the power off***, if you jiggle the connector, does the segment come back after powered back on? If it does, it should be fine for a little while but the problem will come back. Only replacing the crimp will correct the problem (if it's in the connector).

Steve

Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I have a strange display problem with my BH. The display for the lower level does not show any "1" digits. What could be causing this? Thanks

#124 10 years ago

Yep, that would create more push against the plunger returning to rest position. Good catch, I couldn't understand why more than one bracket would become magnetized, now I know why.

Steve

#133 10 years ago

Probably a bad DS. One sure way is to solder a jumper to the back of the switch. I do that all the time to DS25 on all MGoW's to keep the switch in the on position, if off, the game never finishes the "game over" sounds and keeps playing background sounds after it's finished a game. The only way to clear the background sound with DS25 off is to turn off the game, then back on.

Steve

2 weeks later
#136 10 years ago

The drop targets coils are in A9J8/P8-7 & 8. Wire colors are red-brown-brown and red-orange-orange, check continuity through the connector. Also check connector A3J4-6 & 12 (same color wires) for continuity through the wires to the driver board.

By "ball through switch", I assume you mean the track switch (#53), for it to not work, either the tube kicker (#43) or roll under gate switch (#52) should also be dead for it to be a connector issue. If not, the problem is at the track switch itself. If the roll under gate switch is also dead, check A9J7/P7-2 for continuity through the connector. Wire color is yellow-green-green.

If the tube kicker switch is also dead, check connector A9J7/P7-8 for continuity through the connector. Wire color is blue-orange-orange.

I put the assigned numbers in this post so you can reference them when you test these 3 switches in switch test 18. If they show up as working when you touch the trigger wire with your finger, they are probably out of adjustment or dirty. Always clean or adjust switches with the power off, then re-test.

Steve

#149 10 years ago

LOL, my favorite way to play a Black Hole but I really don't have the time tonight to join in the fun. My average scores are usually over a million on my game anyway, I know it too well.

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

Practice till then and put switch 17 off. 5ball play.

#155 10 years ago

Nope, glass on. Like I said before, rolling the game over was the main reason I had to convert it to 7 digit.

Steve

1 week later
#168 10 years ago

Knew you would. Knowledge is a wonderful motivator. Pretty soon, we'll have to convert your game to 7 digit so I can put a score on it for you to shoot for. The first time you roll the score, you'll be sad that you didn't convert it sooner.

Steve

Quoted from mof:

Getting closer to a real score...
-mof

#169 10 years ago

Great score, somehow, I missed your post (until now). If you convert your game to 7 digit scoring, you won't have to keep looking for that score sheet. Here's the conversion thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-any-system-80-6-digit-gottlieb-to-80a-7-digit

Step it up to the next level and play it in 5 ball mode.

Steve

Quoted from woz:

Just had a great game on my beloved BH 2.4Million on 3 ball setting and only a million of my high score. I keep my high score sheet in the game and as I was looking for it I found a hard drive I had stashed away for safe keeping that I thought I had lost
BH is the fastest game I have ever played. Mine seems to be getting faster with old age... or is it me getting slower?

#171 10 years ago

HA, all I see there is 221,610, you are no threat to my high score. A prediction for mof ... I see a 7 digit conversion in your future.

Steve

#173 10 years ago

It's really not that hard to do the conversion (you don't really need the displays ... but it looks better), it's more time consuming than anything else re-working the display connectors. And, a ROM needs to be burned (PM for more info). The bummer for this right now is that I just talked with Ed at GPE and he said he's out of the U2/3 modules at the moment and he's been real busy so he hasn't made more. I told him that when he gets them back it stock, I'm ordering 3. If others contact him and get in line, he may get on it sooner.

Steve

Quoted from pezpunk:

haha i want one so bad but i'm both lazy and scared. my high score is pushing 2 million now on 5-ball.

#184 10 years ago

Thanks Ed, forgot you frequent this site. Didn't mean to overload you ... well, maybe a little.

Steve

Quoted from G-P-E:

Had a bunch of adapters made up in December... sold the last one this past Monday. Since that time, I have been flooded with requests for these!
I'll be making more - hopefully this coming weekend. They're not terribly complicated but kind of a time consuming to build for such a small board -- solder one side, clean them, wait for them to dry - solder 2nd side, reclean them, wait for them to dry again and then stuff them. I have about 200 boards remaining if I remember right. I considered selling them as a kit but haven't had time to look into that, either (stinking day job!).

#186 10 years ago

Yep, here ya go.

tn[3].jpgtn[3].jpg

As far as tube thickness goes, my replacement tube is the same thickness as original, had to special order it. If you need a new tube, I have a few extras made up that I sometimes sell at PAGG. PM me if you're interested in one.

Never thought of putting a red LED there, didn't even come into my mind.

Steve

#196 10 years ago

(BHTFT) Black Hole tip for today: I was just telling mof last night that I went to replace the foam grommets (a couple of days ago) on the Black Hole and a Spirit I have in the shop/gameroom. I thought I had bought a bunch of them from The Pinball Resource a while back but I couldn't for the life of me find them anywhere. So ... I improvised and used some black "small mini post rubber" instead figuring I could replace them later if the rubber didn't work or hold up. I was surprised as to how well they worked at leveling out the plastic. I liked using them so much for leveling the plastic that I'm never going to use the foam grommets again. I'm sure that if someone else tries it, they'd say the same thing

Steve

Quoted from RCA1:

I replaced the grommets on mine to level it. The old ones had deteriorated before I got it, causing the acrylic window to be recessed. Not sure if there is a trick other than to go slow with the allen wrench and adjust slightly as needed. I did read somewhere that you basically can't get it perfect, so don't try. You can get it very close, but not perfect. Keep the upper edge slightly below the playfield and the lower edge slightly above, so the ball rolls naturally on the down slope. Mine plays much more naturally now that the ball does not "detour" along the window edge.

#199 10 years ago

The rubber crushed down real easy. Because it was more stiff than the foam, I was able to get the plastic/playfield adjustment real close to perfect and the screws are flush to the plastic.

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

there was no trimming involved? Not a lot of "backpressure"?

#201 10 years ago

Yay! Thanks Ed.

Steve

Quoted from G-P-E:

OK - another batch has been made. Most have been claimed but still have five remaining and posted them to my website.
Ed

#208 10 years ago

Kind of an odd issue. This problem is with D2 on all 3 displays and they're all driven by the same IC (Z17) on the CPU board. The odd thing is that the 3rd player display went out first, and then the other two started acting up. If this were connector (A1J3) or IC related, I would think that all 3 would have exhibited the same action at the same time. So instead, I gotta think that the first display to show the issue might be the one taking out the others. I'd try reseating the 3rd player connector or swap the display to a working display to see if it's bad, see if that helps (for starters). If that does help, you may have to re-crimp those punch pin connectors.

Steve

Quoted from Slinger:

Need some advice guys. Had my BH for several months now. Did the ground mods when I first got it and all the displays looked beautiful. In the last couple of weeks, the 10's digit in the 3rd player display started to get flakey and then went out. Now, the 1st player 10's display AND the under playfield score 10 are both starting flake out. Seems fishy to me that all the displays are having issues with the same digit. Could there be yet another ground wire I am missing to bring my 10's digits back to life?

#215 10 years ago

I may have them mof, call me later.

Steve

#219 10 years ago

Here is the card that came in my NOS Black Hole card set. It tells the recommended cards Gottlieb wanted you to use.

Steve

Gottlieb BH recommended score cards.jpgGottlieb BH recommended score cards.jpg

#223 10 years ago

Glad you got it going and it wasn't a huge problem. Yeah, I see a afternoon of crimping in your future.

Steve

Quoted from Slinger:

Recap on my display issue. "In the last couple of weeks, the 10's digit in the 3rd player display started to get flakey and then went out. Now, the 1st player 10's display AND the under playfield score 10 are both starting flake out."
So on blownfuse's advice, I swapped all the displays. 1 for 3 and 2 for 4. Now, all of the displays are working perfectly, including the lower playfield. Guessing it is a connector issue and that it is only temporary, but for today, it looks great!

#224 10 years ago

Okay, now what?

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

nice steve
Now turn score card over inquiring minds want to know.

card back.jpgcard back.jpg
#226 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Oh I guess that is not the score card to turn over. Did not read it careful enough. LOL
Please Explain the Note on bottom of card.

The instruction card tells you that you can set your game from this.

score card front.jpgscore card front.jpg

To this by flipping it over.

score card back.jpgscore card back.jpg

Steve

#230 10 years ago

You don't see it Gerry? The one's column on the right is active now and not a dead zero, what you actually are seeing is 999,990 but the score is slid to the right one digit to allow for the start of a 7 digit Black Hole (minus the four 7 digit displays, the next step).

Steve

Quoted from Gerry:

Add another 9 and ya got somethin !

#233 10 years ago

LOL, sorry about that, I was just too excited to see another 7 digit Black Hole out there.

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

Awe Steve ya gave it away to fast.

#234 10 years ago

LOL, yeah, I think that happens a lot with a 7 digit conversion game. nudge nudge

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

and it only took me this many balls.

#237 10 years ago

I predicted this would happen 5 years ago, just took a little longer than I thought.

Steve

Quoted from erichill:

I think the supply of 7-digit displays on eBay has been totally depleted this past week. Last I looked there were about a half dozen for sale, today there are zero.

#240 10 years ago

I've seen used 7 digit displays go for as low as $25.00 each but that was a while back when I first started doing the conversion. A long time ago, I bought a pallet of new 7 digit display tubes at $3.00 each so I went looking for display boards that had broken tubes on them. The cheapest I could find them was around $5-10.00 each. Now I'm out of the displays and will need to search for them too if I want to convert anymore games, I'm searching along with everyone else. I'd like to find a good deal on a bunch of those new tubes again since they seemed a lot brighter and more evenly lit when I used them.

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

Steve if I keep my eye out for one or two displays what would i expect to pay for each one? There was an ebay with NOS just glass 20 a piece the guy had 4.

#243 10 years ago

I think I'd start with the lightest blue and work to the darkest just like they did originally with the screens.

Steve

Quoted from Slinger:

Looking for advice on how you guys handled playfield touchups. Looking at 3 different shades of blue intermixing with one another in relatively straight lines and seeing where this could go horribly wrong very quickly. Or at least looking really poor.

1 week later
#247 10 years ago

Yeah, I know mine plays mean and nasty real well, it's dialed in too.

Steve

Quoted from Gerry:

It really is a fun, and fast game...

#250 10 years ago

That's a mod I used to do but I came up with something I like even better Chris. You install 6VDC cool white LED's in the sockets, then add a 1K ohm 1/2 watt resistor between each of the 24VDC power leads to the sockets, shrink wrap the resistors and be done with that problem (bulb filaments vibrating and breaking prematurely).

Steve

#254 10 years ago

Aack! Yep, I/2 watt. that's what I get for trying to type out tech stuff and get to work on time too. I thought it looked wrong when I proof read it but it didn't sink in, thanks for the catch Chris. Post corrected.

Steve

#259 10 years ago

I don't get it either. Silly, useless sham-wow type fluff salesmanship that fails in very little time. Some people try to push junk to make a buck.

Steve

#261 10 years ago

Glad you like the mod.

Steve

Quoted from jitneystand1:

Thanks a ton, I tried googling the issue but sometimes you just need the right search words. Found the pinwiki page, the lighting mod is done and working great

#263 10 years ago

Good luck woz, I'm here if you need me by PM.

Steve

Quoted from woz:

Going to spend the evening with crimper in hand and convert my BH to seven digits Wish me luck!

#268 10 years ago

If any of your display tubes don't have a protector cap on them, you can put it in that player position, it should clear the screw then. Or you can take a little time and countersink the screw into the board (what I ended up doing so it would never bother me if I swapped them around). I used a 3/8" paddle bit for the countersink and slowly let it cut the depth less than 1/8".

Steve

1 week later
#281 10 years ago

That looks like a game that most of us wouldn't have touched or would part out, I know I would've walked away from it. Good for you Ib45 for taking on such a project, I assume that a Black Hole isn't something you come across every day where you live. The Pascal's System 80 four in one board is a work of art by itself. What do you plan to do to clean the rusty parts? I look forward to seeing your progress.

Steve

#282 10 years ago

That CPU board (alkaline damage field) doesn't look as bad as I thought it would given the other parts I see in the pics, it can be repaired. I know I've repaired much worse than that.

Steve

Quoted from lb45:

I have cleaned the cable with vinegar , and have removed the bad clips.

1 week later
#291 10 years ago

That's a sign that your dip switch for 3 to 5 ball is dirty. Yep, 7 digit is needed. The cool part is that the conversion also gives you a free play option and gets rid of the 6 second wait for the game to boot to attract mode, it comes up right away instead. You can do the conversion in two stages too. Start with the U2/3 swap and do the displays as you pick them up. Your BH will be an 80A from then on. If you keep the 6 digit displays in the game, the one's digit will be activated as the 10's digit. Basically, it'll be the score you see X10.

Steve

Quoted from pezpunk:

i switched the dip switches to 3-ball mode a few months back and nothing happened ... it stayed in 5-ball mode. well tonight it magically started playing in 3 ball mode instead!
could this be a symptom of dead batteries? it is still saving my high score .... or at least what it thinks is my high score, what with the 6-igit display....
speaking of which ... damn do i need to convert this thing to 7 digits, i am rolling it over all the time

#293 10 years ago

I've heard that the rocker type dip switch is a little better than the slider type, has anyone also heard this? It may be true since all the one's I remember replacing through the years were the slider type.

Steve

rocker type dip.jpgrocker type dip.jpg
slider type dip.jpgslider type dip.jpg

3 weeks later
#309 9 years ago

Glad you like the mod, I like not being the only one with a 7 digit BH anymore, I guess the mod is catching on a little. Along with the quick boot, you do know that the 6 to 7 digit program also has free play when dip switches 15 & 16 are turned on? Good job woz! The nice part is that that mod will work on any System 80 six digit game and Gottlieb didn't change the wire color assignments between six and seven digit games. Without that, the display wiring part of the job could have been a real mess and involve two more connectors. As a side note, I now save wire from parted out System 80 games, you never know when you'll need a specific wire color.

Steve

#324 9 years ago

Those are indeed hard to find. I believe they were installed on showroom display games at places (like Betson) route operators would buy them. As with anything later, occasionally, they slip out to collectors. A lot of them were thrown out. I know the place I worked for did just that. If only I had the ability to look into the future, I would have been a dumpster diver back then. There was a reproduction of that promo sign done a few years back, I have one. It just isn't the same as a real one though.

Steve

2 weeks later
#328 9 years ago

It sounds like the game thinks there's a ball down on the lower playfield, as long as the game is waiting for the ball to return, no other coils will work. It could be that you have a stuck ball tube kicker switch #43. Before starting a game, using the test button on the inside of the coin door, try going through audits 16 through 20. Switch test 18 might be of interest, just be sure there are no balls installed and all drop targets are in the up position before the test. If any numbers show up in the credit window, you'll have to inspect/adjust that switch so it works correctly.

Oh ... and congratulations on getting a Black Hole.

Steve

#330 9 years ago

You'll have to do a visual and move the switches using a ball or by hand to make sure each switch opens and closes. What are the numbers you saw in the switch test? It's possible that there's more going on than meets the eye, there could be a switch matrix issue. Try running the switch test again, this time with A1J6 unplugged and report back. If you get a "99" in the credit window then the problem is switch related (on the playfields). If you still get numbers in the credit window, then you have a switch matrix issue with your CPU board.

Steve

#335 9 years ago

It looks to me like the return 0 (blue-black-black wire) and return 3 (blue-orange-orange) lines are being grounded out by something, 63 & 73 aren't used in black hole. You'll have to do a visual to see if there's a solder jumper or a switch that's too close to a light ground. Trace the wire colors from the CPU to the last switch of both lines.

Steve

1 week later
#338 9 years ago

I think the A1J4 to A3J1 connector may need some attention to your 5VDC and grounds. With the power off, try jiggling the connector and see if things improve when you play some games.

Steve

4 weeks later
#345 9 years ago

Way to go Eric! ....... next?

Steve

3 weeks later
#364 9 years ago

I have a 7 digit MGoW. It's borderline to do a conversion on it because it's a tough game to roll over anyway. However, it is nice to see that 7th digit when you do.

Steve

Quoted from woz:

Just received the last display and now the 7 digit conversion is complete!
Has anyone converted an MGOW to 7 digit? I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble but it would be cool to have
BTW all the 7 digit displays I have came from Cavemans that had been parted out - not sure how many working ones are left out there of that title.

Black Hole 7 digit.jpg 125 KB

2 weeks later
#381 9 years ago

Have you made sure the A1J4 connection is good from the CPU to driver board? With the power off, try re-seating it to see if the issue improves. You may have to clean, re-tin the pads and replace the connector clip to make it solid.

Steve

#394 9 years ago

If you've already rebuilt the connector, all the hard work is done. I still would re-tin all the pads since they can also be a source problem.

Steve

Quoted from Slinger:

Hey Steve,
Think we are talking about the same connector. You say to reset the A1-J4. That is the connector from the mpu to the driver board with the 3" wires or so, yes? That is the one I repined all the connectors already. Is it possible to still have an issue where you would have to retin the pads above and beyond new pins? Seems pretty tight, especially with the new wire. Thanks!

1 week later
#397 9 years ago

I think they're easy, you should buy it.

Steve

#400 9 years ago

LOL, right now as some of my local friends will tell ya, I'm pretty hard to locate these days. I figure the way things are going, 2015 has to be better than 2014.

Steve

Quoted from billsfanmd:

Be careful Steve...I think I called you 3-4 times when fixing one of my early BH's

1 week later
#407 9 years ago

The one in my game was burned, cracked and filthy so I made my own but the correct tube size is hard to find. Only a few places nation wide carry it.

Steve

tn[2].jpgtn[2].jpg

tn[4].jpgtn[4].jpg

tn[4] (2).jpgtn[4] (2).jpg

tn[10].jpgtn[10].jpg

#411 9 years ago

This was some time ago, I can't remember, but I think the tubes were special order and came in 60" lengths. I ordered 3 tubes since I thought I may need to replace more tubes in my collecting future. I have a few "cut to size" tubes finished in the shop somewhere, but at this time, I'm not going to dig for them. I started too many other projects and need to get them under control first.

Steve

Quoted from northvibe:

Do you know the size? It would be nice to have some available for restoring.

#412 9 years ago

LOL, yep, if I can't get it, I make it.

Steve

Quoted from erichill:

A Black Hole re-entry tube cutting jig? Of course Steve has one!

#418 9 years ago

Yikes, someone should jump on these for a BH 7 digit conversion.

Steve

Quoted from erichill:

If anyone's still looking for 7-digit display boards, just heard from Todd at TNT that he has a few in stock.

#423 9 years ago

I'm waiting for you to do the conversion too so I can stop over and put the new high score on your game.

Steve

BH high score 3-30-12.jpgBH high score 3-30-12.jpg

#424 9 years ago

I think you have to contact Todd and ask about those displays, that's what I did last time I bought some from him.

Steve

Quoted from pezpunk:

is that TNT Amusements? i don't see them listed on their site. How do i go about ordering some?

#428 9 years ago

Also keep in mind that though sometimes the power supply test points show as correct, the voltage can still be lost at the solder connection around the A2J3 connector pins. Loss of 5VAC line or return power through connectors A12J4/P4 or A10J3/P3 is not all that uncommon in BH either.

Steve

Quoted from hootowls:

The 60V DC for the display comes from the A2 power board in the head (J3) so check test point 1 there to see what it's putting out.
The outer two legs are 5V AC power for the filaments that come up from one of the cabinet Transformers.

1 month later
#452 9 years ago

For me, nice cosmetics with the game being complete and not working is all I look for. I've bought them in the past from $300 up to $800. It's been a while since I've been in the market for one so I have no clue as to the prices now.

Steve

#454 9 years ago

There are a lot of techs here that can and will help you when needed so it really isn't as scary as the stories you hear.

Steve

1 week later
#465 9 years ago

Switch test 18 is a good thing. Put your game into this test and bang on the playfield to see if any numbers come up in the display window. If any show up, adjust accordingly.

Steve

2 months later
#501 9 years ago

Check the fuse F17 under the lower playfield
Check the Q5 transistor under the lower playfield
Check connector A9J8/P8-2
Check connector A3J3-22
Check transistor Q15 on the driver board

Steve

#505 9 years ago

I feel he's wrong on that one and choose to make my game more solid. The mods to the A4-A1 interconnect need to be done for a better 5VDC and ground connection between the CPU and driver boards. That's why the pads are there in the first place, cost cutting by the bean counters is what I've heard for the reason they're not used. The ground mods to the driver boards need to be done to insure a stable grounding system for the coil drive transistors.

Some BH's work well with the ball lift kicker the was it was from the factory. For me, far as the ball lift kicker coil goes, a must is the pull up resistor on that under playfield transistor (and all others). The schematic calls for a A-4893 (2.1 ohms) coil for that use, this is the strongest single coil Gottlieb makes. However, I use a A-20095 flipper coil with added EOS switch since the power coil inside is around 1.55 ohms (a little stronger). That way, I can adjust the strength of the kick with the EOS switch (contacts open early = weaker, open late = stronger). It's nice to see the ball roll up that tube clean without it beating up on anything now. It also helps to keep the coil from cooking should there be a drive transistor failure lock up and the coil stay activated. It can stay on indefinitely, just like holding the flipper button in for a long time.

Keep in mind too that from the factory, the ball lift kicker coil came over fused (6 1/4A Slo-Blo) and that's why it would always burn up when locked on, might as well not bother with a fuse then. The fuse wouldn't blow to protect the coil but a lesser fuse would sometimes blow during game play. This is the problem decision with BH, protect the coil or keep the game playing, Gottlieb chose to keep the game playing figuring that the coil would never lock on, with an eventual ground failure it will. With the ball lift kicker modification, I've been able to cut the fuse down to 2 1/2A Slo-Blo without problems in game function during game play.

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

TNT states many times that only mod needed is to add one ground wire on the inter connect cable.
What do you think Steve ?
I still have original coil for kick up never a problem. And TNT also claims there was a service bulletin to put something different in ???? Stronger coil . I have never needed. I have never seen it not shoot a ball up the tube.

#517 9 years ago

I think that if it were easy, it would be boring and nobody would want it. Once in a while, I sometimes have a run like that, I stick with it and "rough it up" a bit until it decides to play nice.

Steve

Quoted from REGNE:

BTW. My new Avatar is the "bastard pop" in the bottom corner.
Respect the pop.

2 months later
#539 9 years ago

I don't even use the black foam spacers anymore since they fail in time. I use the small black mini post rubber and it works fine in my game. They compress down to the thickness I need and hold firm to the adjustments I set the screws to.

Steve

Quoted from pezpunk:

I periodically replace the spacers. They get squished permanently after a while. If you run out of new spacers, you can use two squished spacers stacked on top of each other instead.

#540 9 years ago

It depends on how the capacitor is set up. If each capacitor services a different bridge rectifier, then you'll need two capacitors. If both capacitors service one bridge rectifier and have jumpers from one to the other, then usually one larger capacitor will handle the load.

Steve

Quoted from northvibe:

BH has 2 caps down there.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Game_Resets
That lists the cap and holder. I need two right? I remember some saying they replaced the two with 1 cap?

#544 9 years ago

I'm out of them right now but they look like these only in black. I'd have to look at my game now to see if I cut them in half across the axis, I may have.

Steve

white mini rubber.jpgwhite mini rubber.jpg

#547 9 years ago

I think the schematic calls for a A-4893 coil which is 2.1 ohms, this is the strongest single purpose coil Gottlieb makes. I'm not sure what TNT used. On my game, I did the conversion and used a A-20095 super flipper coil, the power coil is 1.55 ohms and can make the ball fly up the tube if that's what you want. The nice part is adding the end of stroke switch to protect the coil from burning up if you have a ground failure at the driver board and making the kicker strength adjustable. Open early on the switch = less strength on the kick, open late on the switch = more strength on the kick. It's been documented in the link below but it's something that not everyone wants to do or should, it's just another choice;

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Black_Hole_Ball_Lift_Kicker_Mod

While at it, if missing, don't forget to add pull-up resistors on all remote mounted transistors under the playfields;

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Solenoid_problems

Steve
System 80. not just a job, it's an adventure

Quoted from northvibe:

TNT said they changed the coil I think on the lower pf up kicker to a different one gottlieb recommended. But when I emailed PBR they were not aware of that being done. Should I just stay stock?

#549 9 years ago

That's why I said, "if missing". Most of the BH's I've repaired in the past didn't have them. They aren't shown in the BH schematic either. Yep you remembered, 4.7K ohms, 1/4 watt.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Quoted from CNKay:

Those pull ups may already be on your machine. What were they 4.7k?? Don't remember. But they were factory installed on my machine.

2 weeks later
#567 8 years ago

I can't remember if it keeps saying it but that's where you score all the big bonus if you have both G-Forces lit while in multi-ball. Every time you go into the saucer if set up this way, you get 12K in added bonus. I usually let one ball go so I can gain control after I knock down a set of DT's to open the gate, then slam that "captive hole" saucer over and over again. Do it enough and you'll have over 100K in bonus pretty fast, add in 5X, dropping a second set of DTs to light either extra ball upstairs and turning over the game is fairly easy. Sometimes I can flip the game in one good ball on my BH (of course the rest of my game play usually sucks but I still get a good score).

Steve

Quoted from Mahoyvan:

And if so, does it continue to tell you to shoot the captive hole?

3 weeks later
#576 8 years ago

I made my own.

Steve

Quoted from valentin27:

the only known sys 2.5 - 7 digits.
I would be very happy to find information about sys 2.5 from Gottlieb.

Z4.JPGZ4.JPG
#578 8 years ago

Yeah, you can remove the 6VDC line from those lights. Then you tie them together with a separate line and run that line over to the L relay. Add another normally open switch to the L relay stack and jumper a 6VDC line over to the other solder lug. Now, those lights will only come on when the ball is down there or when you're on multi-ball.

Steve

Quoted from knockerlover:

Hey guys. I'm wondering if it is possible to rewire the blue lower playfield inserts that continuously point to captive hole and advance multiplier, so that they are only on when the lower pf is active. I'm trying to create an effect that you can't see what's in the lower play field until you get there.

1 week later
#588 8 years ago

Check the 24VDC bridge rectifier for your issue, it's probably failing.

Steve

Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I have a strange problem that just developed. I keep blowing the F4 fuse. When that goes out I lose the background noise, call outs and all coils. The lights and displays work normally. If I put a new fuse in everything works fine for 1/2 game to two games and then the fuse blows again. If there is a short wouldn't it blow right away?

1 week later
#609 8 years ago

They look like pull up resistors to me but not everyone installs them the same way.

Steve

Quoted from seshpilot:

1) there is a resistor that looks like an after-market addition near the fuses. Can I anyone say what this is for and if it's needed? Does your game have it?
image.jpg
2) there is another resistor added right next to the 2 transistors. Again this looks like a hack. Anyone? Are these the recommended "pull up resistors" or something else?
image.jpg

1 month later
#654 8 years ago

I like that modification, it's a good idea. Whoever thought of it was a genius.

Steve

Quoted from seshpilot:

My mod to the upkicker per PinWiki suggestion. Simply using a flipper solenoid, a piece of scrap metal with holes drilled into it (attached via #6 screws and nuts), and an EOS switch = an adjustable power solenoid for the plunge back up to the top (the bigger the gap on the EOS switch, the more power it uses) + protection against transistor shortage!

1 month later
#688 8 years ago

Black Hole doesn't have ball search that I'm aware of. Which game is this a picture of? It doesn't look like a BH at all.

Steve

Quoted from northvibe:

On ball search, does the coil that pushes ball 3 into the near shooter lane part fire?
It would be similar to the coil wrapped in orange on the middle

3 weeks later
#741 8 years ago

Did you test the 1N270 diodes for those switches yet?

Steve

#748 8 years ago

There's more to that test, open doesn't mean they work. True that the CPU sees all switches open, but you still need to close each switch during the switch test so you can see that the CPU knows the switch closed as well and that it assigned it the correct switch number. If it doesn't see the switch when closed, it could be a bad 1N270 switch diode, bad contact points or they can be out of adjustment. If the CPU sees the switch and assigned the wrong number, there is a switch matrix issue on the CPU board.

Other coils fire during the light test or if you manually activate the tilt relay during the test.

Steve

#751 8 years ago

Connector: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=77 Part Number: 09-01-6191
Crimps: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=80 Part Number: 08-52-0072

Steve

1 week later
#754 8 years ago

Start by checking all your tilt switches to be sure they're operating correctly, also check the ball through switch to be sure it opens. Also, since the game is booting to attract mode, I'd suggest going into the switch test and see if you can find anything out of place. Look for switches closed and then check them to be sure the CPU and the switch are both the same. If you have all drop targets in their up position and all balls removed from the game, you should see a "99" in the credit window. Then you can test the switches to be sure the CPU "sees" them when they close. Check for switches that the CPU assigns a wrong number to them too, this can lock up your CPU and mean you have a IC short in your switch matrix.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure.

Quoted from Onion:

I'm in the club! Picked up my Black Hole yesterday. Having an issue with the machine kicking all the balls out into the plunger after draining the first ball. After this it tilts out. I'm not much up on pinball machine repair. Can anyone offer a suggestion on where to start with this issue?

#756 8 years ago

You need to go into the audits using the switch on the inside of the coin door and into test 18 (credit window), this is the switch matrix test. If you have it set up correctly, you should see a "99" in the credit window after you go into that test. If a bunch of numbers come up other than 99, write them down and report back here with the list.

Steve

Quoted from Onion:

Okay. Well I tried the easy parts first. Took all the balls out - targets are up. Turned on machine. Boots to attract mode. No number 99. Where does that put me? Thank you SO much for the reply! Hope to have this baby running ASAP!

Sys_80_test_button_top.jpgSys_80_test_button_top.jpg

#758 8 years ago

That is probably the amount of extra games you have on your game. Each time you press the credit button, it should subtract one.

Steve

Quoted from Onion:

Ok. One more thing. When I reboot it comes up with the number 24 in the credit window. Is this significant? I'm a noob . . .

#760 8 years ago

#51 is on the right #2 drop target downstairs
#60 is on the left #3 drop target downstairs
#70 is on the left #4 drop target downstairs

Pease be sure the drop targets downstairs are in their up position and check the switches to be sure they open when the targets are stood up. The switches are located on the back side of the drop target assembly. Then repeat the switch test and report back, hopefully you'll get a "99" in the credit window. Then there is a few switches we need to check.

Steve

Quoted from Onion:

Ok. Did the test on the 18. I assume I did this correctly. I toggled to 18 then hit the play button. I got these numbers: 51, 60 & then it stays on 70.

#762 8 years ago

Good! Okay, now go into switch test 18 and smack the playfield with your fist and see if any other numbers show up. If any numbers show up in the credit display, what are they? Also test the 3rd position ball return switch #25 by manually loading the game with 3 balls. A #25 should show up in the credit window. If so, proceed to test 20 and look for anything (other than a "99" in the credit window) in the player 1 or player 2 scoring displays. If you see anything, what is it?

Steve

Quoted from Onion:

Put the drop targets all up. Ran test again. 99!

#764 8 years ago

Onion, from our phone conversation, here are the driver & CPU schematics for solenoid #9.

Steve

9_solenoid_driver_board.jpg9_solenoid_driver_board.jpg
9_solenoid_CPU_board.jpg9_solenoid_CPU_board.jpg

#765 8 years ago

Flow chart for solenoid #9;

1. F15 fuse/fuse block, replace if tested bad, if good VVV
2. A-16570 coil/diode, replace if tested bad, if good VVV
3. A3J4-8 connection, repair if tested bad, if good VVV
4. Q59 transistor on the driver board, replace if tested bad, if good VVV
5. A3J1-T connection, repair if tested bad, if good VVV
6. A1J4-T connection, repair if tested bad, if good VVV
7. IC Z30 (gate pins 10/11) on the CPU board, replace if tested bad

Usually by the time you get to here, the problem is fixed

Steve

There is a link to Great Plains Electronics at the top of this page
Chris Hibler on Pinside can do the board work for you if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself yet.

#771 8 years ago

I woke up this morning to an email asking me to clarify my reasoning for jumping from one path of questions to another, thus the reason for this post. First off, I must start by stating that I'm a believer in flow charts for pinball diagnosis and about 30 years ago, I started to make one that anyone could follow for System 80. After a binder full of notes, I came to realize that I didn't have enough binders for all the flow charts needed for fixing a System 80 game. There are flow charts in flow charts in flow charts etc. So I had to figure out a way to make diagnosis time quicker for RGP and later, Pinside.

Here's the basic flow chart I use to break up the diagnosis (it may help someone down the road):

1. Does the game boot to attract mode? If no, repair. If yes VVV
2. Does the game recognize all switches correctly? If no, repair. If yes VVV
3. Does the game fire all solenoids correctly? If no, repair. If yes VVV
4. Do the score displays work correctly? If no, repair. If yes VVV
5. Does the game play the correct tunes? If no, repair

By the time you reach here, your game should be working.

When trying to help Onion and following the above chart, I already knew the game booted to attract so I skipped to step 2. I started asking questions and was getting answers that sounded to me like there was no switch or connector related problem. However, I'm not very patient and dislike waiting for follow up posts so I asked Onion to call me so we can get this done quicker. It was pointed out to me by email that there may be some Pinsiders learning by following along. Sorry about that and hopefully this post will help bridge my jump from one path to another.

Anyway, while talking on the phone I had Onion reset all switches and he got a "99" which means the game saw all switches as open (I have a flow chart for testing switches too but will save it for another time). Then I had Onion manually load the machine with 3 balls in the through and test switch #25, the CPU now saw the switch as closed. I like to use the balls because sometimes using your finger can give you a false positive even if the switch needs adjusting. Then, I had him pile up the balls in front of the outhole to test switch #15, it saw a ball sitting on that switch as closed.

Switches and related connections test good so I moved to Solenoid test 17 (step 3 on my flow chart). I listened over the phone to the coils fire 1, 2, 5, 6, 8 and 9 but heard nothing at 9 thus the flow chart in another post above. That where I am now, waiting to hear that solenoid 9 is working.

It's interesting to note that #9 is listed on the wiring diagram (pg. 44) as the outhole and the upkicker as L14 (please excuse my notes). The odd part is that on pg. 13 for Solenoid assignments, the outhole is listed as #3 and #10, but #9 is listed as the upkicker. I don't remember if the upkicker fired last (#9) in Solenoid test so I assume that one of the pages are incorrect, I can't get to my game right now to verify.

I agree with Slim64 that the problem is likely connector related, possibly to both issues since the game worked prior to moving it, I even told Onion this. For all I know, since I had Onion reset most of the connectors involved, the problem may be gone now. I'm waiting to hear or see a post today, hopefully that he has been playing his BH.

Steve

Pg.13.jpgPg.13.jpg
Pg.44.jpgPg.44.jpg
Pg.44_upkicker.jpgPg.44_upkicker.jpg

#774 8 years ago

Ironic, a blownfuse diagnosing a blown fuse issue. I doubt that replacing F15 would cause an issue with F12 & 13 since pop bumper boards run independent of the CPU controlled Solenoids. Perhaps the fuses were older and couldn't handle any bouncing around on their delivery trip to you. Try replacing them with the correct one's and see if they hold up, then report back. Good news and a probable easy fix!

I haven't talked with Steve Kulpa in some time, please tell him I said hi if you contact him.

Steve

#776 8 years ago

The travel vibration could have weakened them and turned them into 3/4 amp slo-blo's, even lifting the playfield up to stand on end could do it if sliding out the playfield causes a squeaking vibration. What happens if you take a ridged piece of wire and bend it a few times? It becomes weak at the bend. The fuse would hold for a while but give it up quietly when a load is on it. These are usually the fuses that break inside the cap where the wire is soldered. The outhole fuse probably had the same problem, it tried to work but the load overcame the vibration "bend" when you played it. No problem, I like easy fixes.

Steve

Quoted from Onion:

It's just strange because the pops worked before. Only the ball kick didn't work.

#778 8 years ago

Awesome, glad to help and you know the secret phone code to getting me again if needed. Congratulations on acquiring a fun game, looks like it's a winner.

Steve

#780 8 years ago

First, mark the pop bumper boards that are having issues with tape or something so you always know where they are. Then, pull the pop bumper boards you just marked and swap them with pop bumper boards that aren't blowing fuses. Theoretically, now you'll know if the problem is in the board or in the coil itself. If the same fuses blow, it's a coil issue, if it's a different fuse now, it's a pop bumper board issue. It's possible that the header pins on the pop bumper boards in question have solder cracks around the pins causing resistance and making the fuses blow. The header pins will need to have the solder re-flowed to eliminate them as a possible cause, this is a common issue with System 80.

Steve

#782 8 years ago

Yep, same size. the head is different though because of the infinity glass. The legs are different too, they're 27" only on BH whereas HH uses 27" on front and 31" on back.

Steve

Quoted from davebart5:

Does anyone have the dimensions for the body of the game? Could I assume its exactly the same size as my HH (55"L x 25"W)? I'm planning out the vehicle to use for this pickup.
I did a quick look on google, as well as Pinside and didn't find anything definitive.

#786 8 years ago

Since you know this game and what's been replaced, I'll step out of the way and back if needed. An earlier post from Onion says he had to replace fuses F12 & 13.

Steve

Quoted from Slim64:

Which pops are taking fuses out?
Most every pop has new brackets, stops and some I put new coils in (a couple were burned up when I bought it) The pop bumper cards are all the updated design.

#788 8 years ago

Hmm. If solenoids, brackets & circuit boards associated with F12/13 have been replaced, there's nothing left that can go bad and blow fuses unless something replaced has failed. Where did the boards come from? The problem for me about newer foreign boards is that I don't know them for troubleshooting like I do the original boards. I'd still say to label the suspected boards and swap them to another bumper to see if the problem follows the board or stays with the solenoid. That'll tell you which area to work on fixing, board or solenoid.

Steve

#798 8 years ago

Your board pictured isn't updated like the one in the second picture. Read up on how to do the upgrade in PinWiki, it will help with your issue.

Steve

#802 8 years ago

+1 for Slim64, good guy for stepping up and doing that.

Steve

Quoted from Onion:

New boards ordered and on the way thanks to Slim64. What a stand-up guy. Very, very happy.

#808 8 years ago

I just key all my games alike, I don't need to carry keys for 100 games, one key will get me into any of them.

Steve

1 month later
#843 8 years ago

All the BH's I've ever owned had black flat head screws holding the disc, not silver roundhead screws. They should be flush with the disc too.

Steve

#851 8 years ago

My flippers are set up just like yours Chris. I can often get into multiball and get over a million each game. The key for me is to hit the four yellow stationary targets as quick as possible using backflips and the upper left flipper, then set up the G-forces. I then go downstairs and aim for the three drop target bank and clear a set to open the upstairs gate. If I don't get the second set of targets while down there, I send it back down to finish the job. Knocking down the lower playfield right drop targets twice lights up the extra ball near the top of the main playfield. A backflip from the lowest left flipper on the main playfield usually nails the extra ball. I sometimes can get extra balls up to seven times in a row that way.

Steve

1 week later
#865 8 years ago

Mine had some wear too so I got Cliffy to protect it for me.

Steve

Spoof_Cliffy_(resized).JPGSpoof_Cliffy_(resized).JPG

#866 8 years ago

All of my System 80/80A/80B games have smooth legs, if a System 80/80A/80B game shows up here with the wrong legs, I toss them in the can and get the correct one's. Actually, I don't even mess with old legs anymore, I just buy new one's now with new bolts. IIRC, the rib style legs were on System 3 games.

Steve

Quoted from CNKay:

my black hole and panthera both have smooth legs. BH2 (big house) has ribbed and so does my Big Guns. So in my mind a later improved style leg?? Leg bolts are always acorn heads. Stronger with ribbed sounds logically correct to me. Correct for BH i don't know either but mine are smooth.

#868 8 years ago

I buy all my legs from PBR now, I never have rust or stripped bolt issues again. IIRC shipping is cheaper if you spend $100 or more so I usually add legs & bolts to my restocking orders when I do them. Remember that they are 27" for most of the games and use 31" on the backs of MGoW, HH, Spirit & Caveman. The exception to the 27" rule for the front legs is MGoW, the 28 1/2" legs work better there because of the leg position error.

Steve

#870 8 years ago

Correct. Forgot to mention, get four new 3" leg levelers too.

Steve

Quoted from davebart5:

just to confirm while we're here and on the topic, all four legs on the BH are 27", right?

1 month later
#928 8 years ago

Cool! Did you try it yet?

Steve

#931 8 years ago

Sorry about that, I've been working on games for the PAGG show in May and don't have much spare time at the moment.

Steve

#937 8 years ago

You have a switch on that drop target assembly that isn't being seen by the CPU board as closed when the targets are down. It could be a switch out of adjustment, a wire fell off, a connector issue or a switch matrix issue on the CPU board. Switch test 18 should give you a clue where to look for the issue.

Steve

Quoted from Yesh23:

Could anyone help me or point me in the right direction. I'm very new to pinball. The black drop targets won't reset once they're all down but will between balls. The hole drop targets worked correctly. This makes it hard to engage the bonus accelerator from the black drop target side.

#947 8 years ago

It looks like your blue plastic display lens has fallen off your credit display under your instruction card holder (second pic). It may still be inside or possibly, it was missing before it was shipped. It's not uncommon for it to fall off. If you find it inside, it can be siliconed back into place. Originally, it was held in place with some sort of masking tape. Nice BH, love mine too.

Steve

1 week later
#965 8 years ago

Yep, gotta love those System 80 games, each one is very different from the next (even the same models).

Steve

Quoted from Colsond3:

No way!! System 80's are always fun...just ask blownfuse. Some of them go down often, unfortunately. I would still take his BH in a heartbeat.

2 weeks later
#972 8 years ago

Sometimes, if the upkicker coil frys, loss of the 5VDC at the driver board is the cause. A failed connection can cause some of the playfield coils to slowly turn on in attract mode. Then the upkicker coil does a slow burn. I've seen this symptom on a few BH's. For some odd reason, the schematic has that coil over fused and it'll burn up every time.

I switched to using a super flipper coil and added EOS switch, much safer now. If the slow burn (activation) ever comes back, all that will happen is that the coil will engage and the EOS switch will open up, turning off the power stroke of the coil. It's like holding in the flipper button, the coil may get warm but it won't cook. I've also been running a 2.5 amp slo-blo fuse now to protect that coil. It's been running fine this way for several years now.

Steve

#974 8 years ago

I designed a switch bracket for the upkicker coil and asked Cliffy to produce it in case anyone else wants to convert the upkicker to something more fail safe. He sells the brackets through his website, you have to contact him and ask for one. I think they come with the EOS switch installed.

Steve

Quoted from zacaj:

Did you have to make a bracket for the EOS switch from scratch, or did you retrofit an existing one?

#982 8 years ago

You have to contact him if you want one. He has them but they aren't listed on his site.

Steve

Quoted from zacaj:

I don't see anything for Black Hole anywhere on his site, even with google

#983 8 years ago

I never needed to look that direction. I was originally looking for a fix for the speed of the ball coming up through the tube using a super flipper coil. If the EOS switch opened at it's latest point, the ball would fly out of the tube, bounce up and smack the glass. I found that adjusting the EOS switch to open early, the ball got a light kick and didn't have enough oomph to get up the tube. I kept adjusting it until I got the ball to roll cleanly up from the lower playfield. Sometimes it's too smooth and the ball rolls so cleanly that if the gate isn't open, it can roll over to the left side, pop up onto the left side and back into play at the lower left flipper. The flipper coil ends up being a double solution and I liked that better.

Steve

Quoted from Zitt:

Would a 100k pulldown resistor between B & E of the transistor coil help prevent this?

2 weeks later
#995 8 years ago

Yup, weak flips from now until that switch gets replaced.

Steve

Quoted from Bos98:

Was playing the Hole tonight and all of a sudden I lost the far right flipper. Opened her up and low and behold...
Leaf switch seems to just have snapped off. Random.

7 months later
#1071 7 years ago

It should be white, not red.

Steve

Quoted from billsfanmd:

Which plastic part do I need. Mine is red

#1073 7 years ago

I'm still not able to walk steady enough so I can't get to my parts manual downstairs. Sorry,

Steve

1 week later
#1087 7 years ago

Actually, it's one of my mods, it's designed to not burn the coil again should the 5VDC or ground fail at the interconnect. Part of the reason the upkicker coil burns is because it's over fused (6A slo-blo). Using a super flipper coil at the upkicker made sense since a flipper coil can be activated and not burn up, even when powered for a long period of time.

The problem GTB had was using a SB fuse that can protect the coil, during multiball, the coil can get hot if upkicker gets used a lot during game play and the fuse blows. This makes BH a lawn ornament and a money loser on location. So .... they overfused it to keep the coil running, even when warm.

Pinwiki goes into this mod and Cliffy makes a professional looking switch bracket that I designed for it so you don't have to. The bonus of this mod is that it also allows you to adjust the strength of the upkicker too, this can save upper playfield parts from breaking should the ball beat on them.

Steve

#1089 7 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole

Look up #6 You'll need a super flipper coil, I believe Cliffy sells the EOS bracket with the switch installed. It should also come with wires attached.

Steve

#1092 7 years ago

The uplicker coil usually doesn't cook if it keeps firing untill it warms up and the coil resistance weakens. Most of the time, you'll hear it or see it while playing. However, it will engage and silently cook rather quickly if the 5VDC or ground for the driver board fail at the interconnect. By the time you hear it, it's too late.

I found that I couldn't be around my game during a show or in my gameroom enough to catch it before the damage so I needed to find a solution to the issue.

Since installing the mod over 7 years ago, my BH has been solid and I consider the upkicker bulletpooof. I'm also able to adjust the speed the ball comes up the tube so none of my main playfield plastics have been damaged anymore. It used to fly up, rattle around at the gate and crack/break plastics, even hit the glass.

Steve

#1096 7 years ago

Are they just out of stock? I've always bought my A-20095 coils from PBR. I would think that there are many sources for GTB coils but I've never had to look for them before.

Steve

#1102 7 years ago

Have you checked the fuse for the ball release solenoid? Does the ball release solenoid (9) work in test 17? Are 3 balls loaded in the game? Are all the connectors to the driver board good? Does the ball release coil plunger move freely in and out? Does the 3rd ball switch work in switch test 16?

Steve

Quoted from japespin:

no ball comes out of the trough, and the flippers are non-functional. Any idea what my troubleshooting path would be at this point? Driver board?

1 week later
#1108 7 years ago

From your info above, I don't think so. More likely, the controlling transistor for the ball release solenoid is on its way out. It may be under the playfield, on the driver board or both.

Steve

1 week later
#1112 7 years ago

The switch bracket comes with mounting holes that line up with existing solenoid bracket screws.

Steve

Quoted from billsfanmd:

Steve, mod arriving this week...the pin wiki never shows where to make the holes for new bracket...any more info?

#1114 7 years ago

Yes, that originally was the idea, to show how to make a mod bracket. Then, I decided to have Cliffy make them to save time.

Steve

Quoted from billsfanmd:

On the pin wiki pic one on mod he mentions measuring for holes. Maybe that's fir making the bracket. Since I bought bracket I may not need this done

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blownfuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=blownfuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.