IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7439 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 66.
#551 9 years ago

Anyone order repair kits from Big daddy enterprises? I'm looking to rebuild my boards first, before buying new ones.

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/repairkits/gottlieb_kits.htm#g-80mk

#552 9 years ago

Fellow Black Hole owners, I've got a question for you: Does your upper left slingshot have a switch for points?

I'm asking this, because mine doesn't. And it never seems to have had one. The upper right slingshot, however, does have one!

20150504_230621.jpg20150504_230621.jpg

#553 9 years ago

Good question. No it doesn't Mine does. I added it as it should missing the sound on there is so wrong. Pm me if interested and I ll try to post a video on what I did. It has been working great for a long time.

#554 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You think it plays that much different? I'd think it would be faster but I've considered them for two of my games

Yes....

It might be a tad bit faster, but it's alot more even. The biggest difference is the large plastic window no longer has a lip. The window is smoothed out.

#555 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Good question. No it doesn't Mine does. I added it as it should missing the sound on there is so wrong. Pm me if interested and I ll try to post a video on what I did. It has been working great for a long time.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm interested, absolutely. And I think that I'm not the only one in this topic. Please show us what you did!

#556 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone order repair kits from Big daddy enterprises? I'm looking to rebuild my boards first, before buying new ones.
http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/repairkits/gottlieb_kits.htm#g-80mk

Big Daddy is great.

#557 9 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Yes....
It might be a tad bit faster, but it's alot more even. The biggest difference is the large plastic window no longer has a lip. The window is smoothed out.

Hmmm, yeah I think that is a really good option and I've been thinking of doing it....Was waiting to hear what you said. Thank you!

#558 9 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Big Daddy is great.

Thanks! Perfect I was hoping it was good, nice to have a site to just order kits to rebuild

#559 9 years ago

Eu version.

IMG_1786.JPGIMG_1786.JPG IMG_1790.JPGIMG_1790.JPG
#560 9 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

I'm interested, absolutely. And I think that I'm not the only one in this topic. Please show us what you did!

This short video shows the way i added the switch, the easy way as that area is a mess. Enjoy!

I added the rear view mirror mod too as a bonus!
just attached with three pieces of 3M double sided sticky pads.

#561 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

That's why I said, "if missing". Most of the BH's I've repaired in the past didn't have them. They aren't shown in the BH schematic either. Yep you remembered, 4.7K ohms, 1/4 watt.
Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

What would happen if i used 1/2 watt 4.7k? when i went to my local electronic supply house, they don't stock the 1/4w, so i got some 1/2w. But i havent used any yet.

#562 9 years ago

Nothing a higher wattage is fine. the wattage rating is for the amount of current it can comfortably handle. 1/2 being more robust but also more expensive.

#563 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Nothing a higher wattage is fine. the wattage rating is for the amount of current it can comfortably handle. 1/2 being more robust but also more expensive.

Thanks for the response, i thought so, but wanted to make sure.

#564 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

This short video shows the way i added the switch, the easy way as that area is a mess. Enjoy!
» YouTube video
I added the rear view mirror mod too as a bonus!
just attached with three pieces of 3M double sided sticky pads.

Thanks for the video, man! I might just add both of these mods someday.

#565 8 years ago

What happened to the rating?? I saw on the top 100 list that BH was always very even with HH yet HH was always rated higher. I never could understand ghat one. But as of a look yesterday it wasn't ever close. It isn't even in the top 100 anymore. I realize that with a lot of newer titles and LE/ pro also now taking up multiple slots. But really for years it has been in the 80ish range and HH still is but BH isn't.
Something seems wrong. Thoughts??

#566 8 years ago

I haven't had the opportunity to play Black Hole yet in person, but I love this game on Pinball Arcade.

Can someone let me know about the call outs?

at 1:06 when he gets into the lower pf the game keeps saying "Shoot the captive hole" "Complete bank for re-entry".

Does it do this for everyone? I doesn't on the iPad. And if so, does it continue to tell you to shoo the captive hole?

#567 8 years ago

I can't remember if it keeps saying it but that's where you score all the big bonus if you have both G-Forces lit while in multi-ball. Every time you go into the saucer if set up this way, you get 12K in added bonus. I usually let one ball go so I can gain control after I knock down a set of DT's to open the gate, then slam that "captive hole" saucer over and over again. Do it enough and you'll have over 100K in bonus pretty fast, add in 5X, dropping a second set of DTs to light either extra ball upstairs and turning over the game is fairly easy. Sometimes I can flip the game in one good ball on my BH (of course the rest of my game play usually sucks but I still get a good score).

Steve

Quoted from Mahoyvan:

And if so, does it continue to tell you to shoot the captive hole?

#568 8 years ago

Yeah normally I would get the the two G's lit, 5x, spot all the yellow targets and hammer away on the 4 drop targets below.

Repeatedly being told to "Shoot the captive hole" would ruin this strategy for me

#569 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

where you score all the big bonus if you have both G-Forces lit while in multi-ball. Every time you go into the saucer if set up this way, you get 12K in added bonus.

No wonder my scores suck, my high score to date 809700.

#570 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

What happened to the rating?? I saw on the top 100 list that BH was always very even with HH yet HH was always rated higher. I never could understand ghat one. But as of a look yesterday it wasn't ever close. It isn't even in the top 100 anymore. I realize that with a lot of newer titles and LE/ pro also now taking up multiple slots. But really for years it has been in the 80ish range and HH still is but BH isn't.
Something seems wrong. Thoughts??

makes utterly no sense to me. HH doesn't even have multiball. i can't think of a single thing HH does better than Black Hole. Rarity, maybe?

Black Hole is criminally underrated. such an awesome game, and yet crap like NBA Fastbreak, Avengers, Mustang all rank way ahead of it now. so weird.

#571 8 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

I haven't had the opportunity to play Black Hole yet in person, but I love this game on Pinball Arcade.
Can someone let me know about the call outs?
» YouTube video at 1:06 when he gets into the lower pf the game keeps saying "Shoot the captive hole" "Complete bank for re-entry".
Does it do this for everyone? I doesn't on the iPad. And if so, does it continue to tell you to shoo the captive hole?

on the lower playfield, the game will tell you to shoot the captive hole until you lock a ball there, and it will say "complete bank for re-entry" until you complete one of the banks of drop targets (to re-open the re-entry gate). in TPA, it generally only takes a second or two to complete a bank (because the flippers are crazy strong) so you rarely hear it.

i don't remember the captive hole speech being missing on the TPA version, but it's been a while. the TPA version of Black Hole was definitely all messed up for the first few years. Rules were all wrong, sound effects missing, etc. They did fix it eventually, though.

#572 8 years ago

As with that extra 10pt switch added to the left some 10 years ago. I have seen that extra switch as well on some of the sims. I am pretty sure the Xbox pinball hall of fame has it with that switch by the left captive. Which is NOT original. A lot of the sims also have the flippers flipping all the time on lower play field which is wrong and of the lower play field lights blinking on and off during attract. Not on the original. The sims are fun and some of the physics pretty good but they just are not the real deal.
I will say though that I had never played Totan live but knew the game halfway ok by playing sim. Well I got 2nd high or 2nd grand champion the first game I ever played on a real machine. I thought that was a grail machine but now realize it is to easy. But I still love the bonus count down.

#573 8 years ago

you're right, the bonus countdown is neat on TOTAN. not a fan of any other part of it, though. the genie and the lamp are both kind of awkward, gameplay wise, in my eyes.

sorry, off topic!

3 weeks later
#574 8 years ago

I have 2 of them to restore :
- a US version, cabinet is water damaged otherwise nice,
- the only known sys 2.5 - 7 digits.

I would be very happy to find information about sys 2.5 from Gottlieb.

#575 8 years ago

Sys 2.5 ? Factory 7 digit wow , lucky you.
I have had a couple games that rolled the score but not many. I haven't gotten a million in a while now.

#576 8 years ago

I made my own.

Steve

Quoted from valentin27:

the only known sys 2.5 - 7 digits.
I would be very happy to find information about sys 2.5 from Gottlieb.

Z4.JPGZ4.JPG
#577 8 years ago

Hey guys. I'm wondering if it is possible to rewire the blue lower playfield inserts that continuously point to captive hole and advance multiplier, so that they are only on when the lower pf is active. I'm trying to create an effect that you can't see what's in the lower play field until you get there.

#578 8 years ago

Yeah, you can remove the 6VDC line from those lights. Then you tie them together with a separate line and run that line over to the L relay. Add another normally open switch to the L relay stack and jumper a 6VDC line over to the other solder lug. Now, those lights will only come on when the ball is down there or when you're on multi-ball.

Steve

Quoted from knockerlover:

Hey guys. I'm wondering if it is possible to rewire the blue lower playfield inserts that continuously point to captive hole and advance multiplier, so that they are only on when the lower pf is active. I'm trying to create an effect that you can't see what's in the lower play field until you get there.

1 week later
#579 8 years ago

Anyone have an extra "B" drop target I could buy? I'm only missing that drop. Shoot me a PM

#580 8 years ago

Anyone have the BH2K code that I've heard about? It supposedly adds lane change, ball save, etc....

#581 8 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Anyone have an extra "B" drop target I could buy? I'm only missing that drop. Shoot me a PM

Have you tried pinball resources...

#582 8 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Anyone have the BH2K code that I've heard about? It supposedly adds lane change, ball save, etc....

there isn't really a "2k" code. The replacement cpu boards from pascal and ni-wumf have those types of settings in them as they are all new component/designed boards.

http://www.ni-wumpf.com/System80CPU.html

http://www.flippp.fr/pi80.php

#583 8 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Yeah, they are the best place!

http://www.pbresource.com/Blackhole.html

#584 8 years ago

I have a strange problem that just developed. I keep blowing the F4 fuse. When that goes out I lose the background noise, call outs and all coils. The lights and displays work normally. If I put a new fuse in everything works fine for 1/2 game to two games and then the fuse blows again. If there is a short wouldn't it blow right away?

#585 8 years ago

I just got one last week. It worked when I got it but now the ball trough coil is locked on when you turn the machine on. Its in pretty good shape but needs a lot of clean up. Cabinet is in excellent shape. Playfield rubbers look like they may have been there since the 80's, most are turning to a white powder! Motor gearbox is stripped out, of course. This machine looks amazing with LED's. I added a few but need to order more to finish it.

#586 8 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

They only sell complete sets. The lower playfield drops are sold individually.

#587 8 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I have a strange problem that just developed. I keep blowing the F4 fuse. When that goes out I lose the background noise, call outs and all coils. The lights and displays work normally. If I put a new fuse in everything works fine for 1/2 game to two games and then the fuse blows again. If there is a short wouldn't it blow right away?

Here's someone else with an F4 fuse problem although it doesn't seem a resolution post has been made.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-f4-fuse-blowing-and-more

#588 8 years ago

Check the 24VDC bridge rectifier for your issue, it's probably failing.

Steve

Quoted from Hi-Fi:

#589 8 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Yeah normally I would get the the two G's lit, 5x, spot all the yellow targets and hammer away on the 4 drop targets below.

That's been my strategy as well. Uniformed players will shoot for the lower pf because it's just so cool but before they have set it up for maximum potential scoring.

#590 8 years ago

Did all of these come with blue plexi on the playfield? Mine is a smoke plexi and does not appear to be home made.

#591 8 years ago

Yes they should all be blue, HH was green. If you have a different color it is probably a replacement cut from plexi but clear/smoked. unless some prototype had it?

#592 8 years ago
Quoted from Riptor:

Did all of these come with blue plexi on the playfield? Mine is a smoke plexi and does not appear to be home made.

I like the smoked plexiglass idea.

#593 8 years ago

It certainly does not look home made. The fit is perfect and all the lines are straight. I will be able to tell more once I get it out. I have a correct blue one on order.

#594 8 years ago
Quoted from Riptor:

It certainly does not look home made. The fit is perfect and all the lines are straight. I will be able to tell more once I get it out. I have a correct blue one on order.

We used to cut plexi and lexan at work, you can get good straight lines if you use a table saw. Glad to see you over here.

#595 8 years ago
Quoted from Riptor:

Quoted from Insane:

We used to cut plexi and lexan at work, you can get good straight lines if you use a table saw. Glad to see you over here.

Yeah, it also could of been used as a template. Or a machine. The new ones should fit good. Curious if anyone knows how the prototype was setup.

#596 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, it also could of been used as a template. Or a machine. The new ones should fit good. Curious if anyone knows how the prototype was setup.

There's an article in PinGame Journal on the BH story (#111, Aug 05). It mentions the Plexiglas on the original window was smoked but Gottlieb experimented with different colors, ending up with blue. The prototype, which was really quite different than the finished project, was simply a couple of guys with an idea that sold it to Gottlieb. It seems that Gottlieb really liked the idea of the reverse lower playfield more than the actual prototype, so they designed the production game around the lower playfield idea:

"The Black Hole lower playfield was finished and the upper playfield was built around it. The upper playfield was nowhere near the way it had started out."

#597 8 years ago

well that is interesting. did gottlieb use different colored boards in prototype games?

#598 8 years ago

Here are some images of what is supposed to be an early build of the concept game - before Gottlieb was involved - by a group of pinball enthusiasts. Gottlieb essentially bought the "idea" of BH from them, which was the game's name and the lower reversed playfield. They riffed on that, also using their own art, to come up with what went into production.

protot.jpgprotot.jpg
Untitled 3.jpgUntitled 3.jpg

#599 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

well that is interesting. did gottlieb use different colored boards in prototype games?

I haven't come across any info on Gottlieb's in house pre-production version of the game - most stories about the game's history focus on the build by the group of guys that ended up selling the idea to Gottlieb.

#600 8 years ago

BH Proto story here (scroll down to "The Story Behind Black Hole - Joe Cicak")

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2006/index6.html

and also here:

http://www.geocities.ws/system80pins/Blackhole-prototype-2.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Patchogue, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.