PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1614 How to light up the tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1618 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by Mudflaps (5 years ago)

Post #1628 Example photo for a lit tube Posted by gweempose (5 years ago)

Post #3035 Example for using Ice blue LEDs Posted by Crimcyan (9 months ago)

Post #3157 Adding a potentiometer to the aux lamp driver board for chase lights Posted by Redfive05 (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Black Hole -- one of the *best* Sys80s ever made...

Incredibly well-executed theme
Fantastic old-school speech synthesizer (Friends my age are waiting for him to say "You are space cadet" -- from Gorf)
Good sound effects
Possibly the best backglass show of all time -- up there with Mars God of War
Good PF light show
Two playfields in two different directions
Possibly the best 3-ball multi-ball ever designed, with ball travel in two opposite directions at once on two different levels. A total brain-warp to put it lightly.
Game has good counter-measures to prevent over-trapping of balls with flippers

I started up a Black Hole Club so that other proud Black Hole owners can share the over-the-top love for the machine as well as: repair help, restoration tips, part requests, requesting wiring photos, topper ideas, best LED usage, color matching tips, and upgrade ideas...

RESOURCES / IDEAS:
http://www.pbresource.com/Blackhole.html <-- parts
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pinball/916515-black-hole/faqs/1438
http://www.petesgameroom.net/black-hole-pinball-restoration/
https://web.archive.org/web/20190419151711/http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/blackhole.htm
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-ni-wumpf-rule-adjustments

[x] add to your favorites (do this now!)

-mof

#15 10 years ago

Now that I'm 20+ games into an unshopped dry-rubbered Black Hole with 1 dead pop, I have a few thoughts on the game play...

* The #1 drain is SDTM (feels like I have short flippers), I wish there was a center post for sure. So tempting to drop one in...
* The left drain is fun to try and save, you have a chance. Having the pop right there above it, is very evil. I like how Bally Viking does this as well. I wish the left drain had a starpost instead of the metal apron to give you more of a save chance once it drains.
* The pops can really drive the ball back at the flippers hard. The acrylic blue PF only makes this more dangerous. I like the sound of the ball skimming across it (mind you I have the glass off)
* I like watching the ball come down the spiral to the lower PF. I love playing that PF. I haven't mastered the lock shot yet. The advance multiplier off the tip is quite doable.
* I look forward to learning 3 positions on the skill shot. I've never owned a game where you can't change the 1-2-3 lane lights. This is how it should be in my opinion UNTIL the ball passes through them, then you should be allowed to change them (for the pop-hits)
* I had no idea the ball would fly so well out of that tube -- it really flies into the flippers. I will definitely add shopping that solenoid to my list to ensure the ball is max velocity coming out.
* I think it's astounding that it's only a 7-shot game on the upper PF, considering it's a wide-body. The lower PF itself has 5 shots. This gives it more shots than any game I own (12). (All my games have 7 through 12 shots -- I count banks as 1 shot). The game with the most shots I've ever counted is TZ with 18 shots.
* I think it's very odd that the right lane gate helps you once, then drains you if the ball is still in that area.
* Having no inlanes is great. Now we know where Space Station got the inspiration from.
* I find there's one shot that is either hard to hit, or not well used in the game, the right loop shot. I realize there's a 10K green insert in there that lights up, but I don't know that the ball ever got in that more than once in 20+ games.

I look forward to learning the rules. It's still a big mystery to me.

-mof

#17 10 years ago

Has anyone done a motor upgrade?

-mof

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

not sure what you mean by that. are you running the ball up the right lane, pushing that gate open, and then draining? that does happen and it is a bastard.

Yes.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

oh wait that was the wrong video, this is the one where he gets hypnotized:
» YouTube video

great vid! made me smile...
-mof

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

here's the gate I mentioned:

Isn't that gate standard in the game? I have one on mine, but I think its purpose is to prevent a ball rolling back into the tube.
-mof

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

just to clarify, here he's not referring to the re-entry gate -- he means the one-way gate i put on the tube. I don't know what the original machine has there, but when I bought mine, there was a rectangular gate that would keep a ball from rolling down the tube from the upper playfield, but when the ball is coming up from the tube, it would pass right through it without touching it. I bent that "W" shape into it so that it catches the ball and stops it from slamming into the glass when it shoots up the tube. i'd be interested to see what you guys have in that spot.

ok you bent the W shape.
-mof

#50 10 years ago

My motor works, but it's loud. I think I should swap it out of there.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Replacing_the_Black_Hole_.22Spinning_Disk.22_Motor
suggests the one from Servo City.
Do you have any motor suggestions ?
-mof

#52 10 years ago

Another Gameplay question:

What is the goal of being in multiball regarding scoring?

thanks!
-mof

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I don't think scoring changes, actually. The main advantage is you can go downstairs and rack up humongous bonuses without risk of draining, since the re-entry gate never closes during multiball.

Wait are you saying goal of multiball is the 10 o'clock shot and get those balls downstairs?
-mof

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

My high score so far on this particular game.
Steve
BH high score 3-30-12.jpg 26 KB

Pssh, I've already gotten that on my machine, only I don't have that meaningless 3 on the left there to distract me...
-mof

#67 10 years ago

1. 3-ball or 5-ball?
2. are there settings for making the "special" reward a free ball?

-mof

#80 10 years ago

Backbox lighting !

What combinations have you tried, and where have you settled for your backbox lighting? Open her up and show us (let's see a lamp shot) and a dark-lighting shot.

(I'll post mine here later today, but for now it's in the 60-hour shop job thread)

-mof

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I really need to redo the upper playfield lighting on mine. I've got cool white superbrights everywhere, and although I think the cool white looks great on this game, it's just too bright in spots, and from certain angles the bulbs are hard on the eyes. it is on my to-do list.
my lower playfield, though, I'm very very happy with. I rewired the voltage for the 9 sockets that go around the window so that instead of the (#313) 24 volt bulbs, they are now the standard 6 volts. it was a very easy mod. I then put slow color changing LEDs in there. it's a pretty neat effect now when the ball goes to the lower playfield -- the color down there shifts to all different colors while you play, but it's still bright enough to see just fine. I was inspired by the special effects of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Star Trek: The Motion Picture (when Spock flies into V'Ger).
» YouTube video
(skip ahead to about 1:10)

Wow, let's a see a video of what you accomplished !?
-mof

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

3 Ball. The rules and scoring are so much better for 3 ball. Easier to get Multi-ball and get big scores. Highest 5 ball score was 670XXX, I rolled mine at least a dozen times in 3 ball

Oh boy, so do we have consensus on this or not? Don't make me create a poll for 10 people to vote on... Let's hear from everyone...

Vote: 3-ball or 5-ball?
And explain why...

-mof

#89 10 years ago

Ok, so is 3-ball is set with dip-switch 20 ?
-mof

#96 10 years ago

Magnetized solenoid brackets.

Has anyone come up with a permanent solution for them?

Found a good discussion here
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/YlAIIRUP71M

-mof

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

I dont know. To each their own I suppose, but if we are talking risk/reward; I dont think there is a bigger risk in the game than pop-bumpers. most of my balls drained were sdtm because of the pops.

I fear that center pop!
-mof

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

I calibrated my flippers parallel to the biff bars this weekend and I agree, shots feel way better.

Can you demonstrate a quick before/after with a photo? My flippers seem fine, but no idea if that's your "before" set up or not.
-mof

#121 10 years ago

Where's the best place to purchase a .01" copper sheet to try out the Steve Young suggestion to prevent magnetized coil brackets?

I found this, but it's 2.5x thicker than what CNKay called for:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_364215-37672-884459_0__?productId=3478155&Ntt=copper+sheet&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dcopper%2Bsheet&facetInfo=

-mof

#123 10 years ago

I think my "magnetization" issues may have been solved.

Some idiot must have worked on this machine and put back all the pop bumper assemblies incorrectly.

The scoring switches themselves were not installed back into position correctly.

I can't make this $hit up.

-mof

201401-BH-bad-swith-install.jpg201401-BH-bad-swith-install.jpg

#125 10 years ago

Trying out an easy game mod...

I decided to see how the game changes when the second one-way gate is FORCED OPEN. My goal was to allow enjoying the orbit more, as well as to create a real skill shot.

1) skill shot is either do or die. If you HARD plunge, it goes to the flippers (mostly a safe shot). If you soft plunge and miss, it drains, or sometimes you can slap-save. Very advanced. Like Whirlwind.

2) achieving the "extra ball" shot is now a big risk. This means you want to hit it with the best flipper to NOT make it a hard shot that may drain the ball on its way out.

3) Now that this shot has risk, it means fewer shots to increase multipliers. You now are more inclined to go straight up into the 1-2-3 lanes.

4) Now that the inner orbit is a risk shot, it's close to the Lower PF shot, and that adds risk, since you take that shot a lot.

I think there are pros and cons to it. I like that it's easy to turn it on and off with one rubber tool.

Try it, and let me know what you think. I like my games hard !
-mof

201401-BH-open-orbit-one-way-gate.jpg201401-BH-open-orbit-one-way-gate.jpg

#131 10 years ago

Read the comments: this guy programmed his motor to spin at different speed baseds on the mode.

attract
upper PF
lower PF

WOW.

that's brilliant.
-mof

3 weeks later
#135 10 years ago

Hmmm... So when we were diagnosing the 5vdc issue with the capacitor, we unplugged everything and have now plugged everything back in, now I don't have:

Lower PF:
1. drop L reset
2. drop R reset
3. ball trough switch

I have:
ball return solenoid (pipe)
pop1
pop2
sling1
plastic-thing-sling2
flipperL
flipperR
saucer
horseshoe switch
all lights
drop target sounds

I checked out the fuses in 17-20 and they all seem good.

Any ideas or suggestions?

thanks,
mof

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

The drop targets coils are in A9J8/P8-7 & 8. Wire colors are red-brown-brown and red-orange-orange, check continuity through the connector. Also check connector A3J4-6 & 12 (same color wires) for continuity through the wires to the driver board.
By "ball through switch", I assume you mean the track switch (#53), for it to not work, either the tube kicker (#43) or roll under gate switch (#52) should also be dead for it to be a connector issue. If not, the problem is at the track switch itself. If the roll under gate switch is also dead, check A9J7/P7-2 for continuity through the connector. Wire color is yellow-green-green.
If the tube kicker switch is also dead, check connector A9J7/P7-8 for continuity through the connector. Wire color is blue-orange-orange.
I put the assigned numbers in this post so you can reference them when you test these 3 switches in switch test 18. If they show up as working when you touch the trigger wire with your finger, they are probably out of adjustment or dirty. Always clean or adjust switches with the power off, then re-test.
Steve

I have it narrowed down now. Drop banks are fine.

I believe the solenoid is failing to fire for switch 53. I think switch 53 is working, since after I click it, the game changes. I think the blue lights in the bottom no longer light, and I think the game is expecting the play to be over, and for the ball to return to the upper playfield.

I swapped out the solenoid for switch 53. I had planned to all along since it had no sleeve, and it was sloppy action. This didn't help.

Fuse 17 has popped, and I've had to replace it. That didn't make a difference.

I am looking for ideas on how to troubleshoot from here.

Tomorrow is 2/22, and I hope I am only minutes away from reaching my minimum goal, of having a fully playable Black Hole by 2/22...

-mof

#158 10 years ago

Now I'm officially in the club: here's my high score for the evening. 5-ball

I got a multi-ball on my 15th game since getting the game working well. It was worth the wait. Such a brutally fast game. I feel like a cat watching a laser-light, I rarely know where the ball is... It makes me think this is what pinball is all about -- a very fast "shell game" where you shouldn't be too confident that you always know where the ball is, or will be in a few seconds...

Black Hole is the ultimate shell game. It wears you out and wins in the end.

201402-23-HS-400k.jpg201402-23-HS-400k.jpg

#160 10 years ago

Black Hole -- a rant will be coming some day -- there is no safe place to hide, no safe "mode" to get into, no "breaks" to be caught.

I had one "lucky break" last night in about 15 games -- a ball flew hard into the lower-left drain, and bounced out, I almost cried tears of joy.

-mof

#167 10 years ago

Getting closer to a real score...
-mof
20140302_012139.jpg20140302_012139.jpg

#170 10 years ago

Hot on your tail, Steve -- 1.2mil !
-mof

rolled it on ball 5!
201403-BH-first-rollover-ever.jpg201403-BH-first-rollover-ever.jpg

201403-BH-1pt2mil.jpg201403-BH-1pt2mil.jpg

#185 10 years ago

Steve,

I installed a blue light per your instructions for my tube. I love how it shines on your shoulder while playing... VERY eerie. It is good UI, cause it lets you know when you've accomplished the goal.

Questions:

1. Can you take a photo of where your bulb is placed?
2. I think a newer tube means thicker plastic, which means more reflective material for the blue... is this thinking correct? I feel like mine is more dim than yours.
3. Have you ever thought of putting in a red light when it's NOT open?

thanks!
-mof

#187 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Never thought of putting a red LED there, didn't even come into my mind.
tn[3].jpg 17 KB

Would red just be wired into the "other" yellow insert? Is one on, or the other? I forget the matrix.
-mof

#189 10 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

My best first ball ever!
» YouTube video

nice ball. I had one like that last night, 700K first, then 10k, 10k, 10k, 10k and finished 740k. Hilarious.
-mof

#193 10 years ago

Anyone got any tips on leveling the blue acrylic ? I have a pack of new grommets from Steve, I just tried adjusting one, and realize I don't get the secret...

thanks!
-mof

#203 10 years ago

What game is more difficult than Black Hole?
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-toughest/page/2
Can you think of one?
-mof

#209 10 years ago

Question: How do I set the replay score?

-mof

#211 10 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Press the self test button inside coin door.
Keep pressing until # in credit display reads:
11 (1st replay level)
12 (2nd)
13 (3rd)
14 (HS to date)
Set levels by pressing the credit button.

TYVM, do you by chance know what are considered stock values for 5-ball ?
-mof

#213 10 years ago

I noticed my shooter is still sticking into the shooter lane a little bit by about 1/4", and I'd like it resting back farther (just so it's perfectly at rest when the ball is at rest in there.) Is my best option a longer shooter barrel spring, like a 1"? -- I wonder where to get one... I already threw a few washers on there to prevent the tip from scraping when the PF is raised...

thanks!
-mof

Want the tip back 1/4"
201403-BH-adjust the tip.jpg201403-BH-adjust the tip.jpg

Should I grab a longer barrel spring? From where?
201403-BH-longer barrel spring needed.jpg201403-BH-longer barrel spring needed.jpg

#217 10 years ago

What are factory settings for Black Hole in 5-ball mode?

I can't decide whether to include free balls at 300K 600K or leave them out.

On my Williams games, you just set it to "factory - easy/medium/hard" (I always do medium) settings, and it automatically sets the scores where they "should" be, and then you just put it on free play. Usually there are two replay scores at let's say... 1mil and 2mil depending on the game.

With this Black Hole, I'm not sure what "factory" was...

I realize I can do anything. But I'd like to put it in a common set of settings so that I can compete against other owners. (in 5-ball mode)

-mof

3 weeks later
#251 10 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

New Black Hole owner and loving it! But can anyone help me with the lower playfield lighting? I did an LED swap on the entire machine and all is good but it immediately burns up the lower playfield lights (the ones that come on from up above to light the playfield). Tried to find info on this but it's sparse...and I don't have a manual.
From a Youtube video I heard that I need 24 volt bulbs for this particular application. Can anyone verify that this is correct? And point me in the right direction as to where I might buy these bulbs?
Thanks in advance.

Sometimes less is more...
I recommend not using the 24v lamps at all, unless you really like a bright white box of light down there. I removed all of mine, and rely on the plastic GI, and imo looks MUCH better.
-mof

#258 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

doing a little ebay browsing WTF is this?
ebay.com link » Deluxe Black Hole High Quality Cushioned 3m Target Protectors Pinball Machine

Are those supposed to be for the 4 standups upstairs?
Cushioning the front-side?
Ya, I don't get it. I thought the idea was make sure you have good cushion on the back-side.
-mof

1 month later
#306 9 years ago
Quoted from woz:

And this why you need 7 digit scoring on BH

Inspiring -- I can't wait to get back to my Black Hole after getting a few recent acquisitions into working order.

I've got the 7-digit displays from Todd and the eprom from Ed... Close...

-mof

1 month later
#342 9 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Finally found a full set of 7-digit displays and ventured deep into crimping hell last night. Well worth the trip.
Thanks again to Steve for sharing this awesome mod with everyone!

You did it, champ!
I gotta do this too, how many hours did it take ya? Any advice to improve the instructions?
-mof

3 weeks later
#362 9 years ago

How have you guys dealt with the excessive wear underneath the pop bumpers?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/22#post-1829420
vid has an interesting suggestion. I'm trying to choose a color.
-mof

#367 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone have scans of the pop bumper area(s), or a pf they could scan?

It would be HELLA cool to have decals that cover the areas of wear EXACTLY under where the old non-stick mylar patches used to be, then decal and re-cover 'em with sticky mylar...

-mof

2 weeks later
#384 9 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Happy to say I just picked up one of my grail pins. Looks to be lightly routed. Here's some PF pics. I will post more pics when everything is up and running.

Wow, you look to be double lucky in this case... congrats!
-mof

3 weeks later
#422 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The 7 digit is really for the people who can actually get a score that high, right? noob like me can't score for crap

I've only rolled it a few times, but it kills me that those few times are not recorded in the displays for all (and ME) to see.

-mof

9 months later
#612 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Can we get that sent to CPR to have them remake these?! I'd be interested in a scan near the pops, I fear this is worth kind of a lot of money..... :/
You have a gold mine find there!

Brilliant Idea.
(can they do Gottlieb titles?)
They'll store credit you to more than cover your shipping cost.
Their return packing is top notch.
-mof

#614 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

they would need to strip it bare to scan it.

1. The COST of your time and removing all the top-side parts to anyone wanting a NOS PF
is MUCH lower than the gain of
2. 100 BH owners having a CPR clear coated set of BH PFs. I mean. That would be a miracle to ~100 people.

I bet you could use a crowdsourced program like kickstarter to get 50 BH owners to pitch in $10, to cover your time, and when it reaches $500 you get paid to do it RIGHT (molex the drop targets out), and get the top side cleared of all posts/targets, then just leave the harness and switches attached underneath and pack/ship it. Reverse when it comes back, and now you've saved the entire BH community from playfield wear.

I'm asking Stu if they can do that title/have any interest...

-mof

#618 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Kevin has already informed me that we already have Hi-Res Scans of the Black Hole Playfield(s)

Thanks for clarifying that.
-mof

1 month later
#644 8 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Does anyone have a good solution to pitching the incline of the lower playfield independent of the upper playfield? I love the way BH plays with the back legs jacked up high, but when the ball goes downstairs the gameplay is super slow and floaty. Any ideas?

Great question.
Mof

2 years later
#1496 6 years ago

Put up a big one for my friend @blownfuse... I tried to roll it.
I'm sure he gave some quiet pointers while I was playing...
-mof
20180331_875k-Miss-you-Steve2 (resized).png20180331_875k-Miss-you-Steve2 (resized).png

#1498 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

he was probably saying "you should upgrade it to 7 digit scoring..."

Yeah, he already did, so I got a box of displays tucked away... Someday...
-mof

1 month later
#1506 5 years ago

Quick rules question: What are the main goals while in multi-ball? I don't see 3x-scoring inserts on the playfield -- is there any scoring benefit to being in multi-ball mode?

-mof

1 month later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.