IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7439 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240103_220434164.jpg
IMG_5107 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231029_054015295 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053936841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231029_053945558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 66.
#602 8 years ago

BH on the market for $2800. What am I missing that makes this pin worth so much more than what I would consider to be market value?

#603 8 years ago

For that it should be MINT

#604 8 years ago

Where did Gottlieb put the serial number on these? I have no reason to believe its an early build machine or proto but wanted to look at the serial. Im sure the smoke plexi was probably a replacement but if someone made this they did a good job.

Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, it also could of been used as a template. Or a machine. The new ones should fit good. Curious if anyone knows how the prototype was setup.

#605 8 years ago

BH brethren, I just acquired a non-working BH. I'm in the club.

I am going through things very carefully before I plug it in and have 2 questionable areas on the bottom PF I need to ask about.

1) there is a resistor that looks like an after-market addition near the fuses. Can I anyone say what this is for and if it's needed? Does your game have it?
image.jpgimage.jpg

2) there is another resistor added right next to the 2 transistors. Again this looks like a hack. Anyone? Arethese the recommended "pull up resistors" or something else?
image.jpgimage.jpg

#606 8 years ago

Just throwing something out there...

I've come across a NOS populated BH playfield. Truly unique, I've never seen one. Ever. Still sitting in the original box.

I also have an unpopulated NOS lower PF.

If you're interested in this please contact me directly.

IMG_20150630_1733351.jpgIMG_20150630_1733351.jpg

IMG_20150630_1734241.jpgIMG_20150630_1734241.jpg

IMG_20150630_1734341.jpgIMG_20150630_1734341.jpg

#607 8 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

BH brethren, I just acquired a non-working BH. I'm in the club.
I am going through things very carefully before I plug it in and have 2 questionable areas on the bottom PF I need to ask about.
1) there is a resistor that looks like an after-market addition near the fuses. Can I anyone say what this is for and if it's needed? Does your game have it?
image.jpg
2) there is another resistor added right next to the 2 transistors. Again this looks like a hack. Anyone? Arethese the recommended "pull up resistors" or something else?
image.jpg

I don't think I have those resisitors, however I do have a resistor above the two (disc transistors?) like in your 2nd picture.

20150630_203002.jpg20150630_203002.jpg
20150630_203009.jpg20150630_203009.jpg

#608 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I've come across a NOS populated BH playfield. Truly unique, I've never seen one. Ever. Still sitting in the original box.
IMG_20150630_1733351.jpg

IMG_20150630_1734241.jpg IMG_20150630_1734341.jpg

This is awesome! I'm sure someone will need this to bring theirs back to life. Keep us posted on what happens with them! GLWS.

#609 8 years ago

They look like pull up resistors to me but not everyone installs them the same way.

Steve

Quoted from seshpilot:

image.jpg
2) there is another resistor added right next to the 2 transistors. Again this looks like a hack. Anyone? Are these the recommended "pull up resistors" or something else?
image.jpg

#610 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

IMG_20150630_1733351.jpg

IMG_20150630_1734241.jpg IMG_20150630_1734341.jpg

Can we get that sent to CPR to have them remake these?! I'd be interested in a scan near the pops, I fear this is worth kind of a lot of money..... :/

You have a gold mine find there!

#611 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Can we get that sent to CPR to have them remake these?! I'd be interested in a scan near the pops, I fear this is worth kind of a lot of money..... :/

Pretty sure that might not work out. The populated playfield would be expensive to ship,and I think they would need to strip it bare to scan it.

#612 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Brilliant Idea.
(can they do Gottlieb titles?)
They'll store credit you to more than cover your shipping cost.
Their return packing is top notch.
-mof

#613 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Pretty sure that might not work out. The populated playfield would be expensive to ship,and I think they would need to strip it bare to scan it.

Heck I'd chip in for shipping cost to help get these made.

The biggest issue on my BH is just the wear at the top pf pops. Be great to have a scan of that for a decal. I can't buy the pf at the moment :/ stupid important things first

#614 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

they would need to strip it bare to scan it.

1. The COST of your time and removing all the top-side parts to anyone wanting a NOS PF
is MUCH lower than the gain of
2. 100 BH owners having a CPR clear coated set of BH PFs. I mean. That would be a miracle to ~100 people.

I bet you could use a crowdsourced program like kickstarter to get 50 BH owners to pitch in $10, to cover your time, and when it reaches $500 you get paid to do it RIGHT (molex the drop targets out), and get the top side cleared of all posts/targets, then just leave the harness and switches attached underneath and pack/ship it. Reverse when it comes back, and now you've saved the entire BH community from playfield wear.

I'm asking Stu if they can do that title/have any interest...

-mof

#615 8 years ago

Kevin has already informed me that we already have Hi-Res Scans of the Black Hole Playfield(s), as well as the Haunted House Playfields and Spirit Playfield.....We have tossed the idea around of doing these but nothing have ever materialized....yet.

I'll have a chat with Kevin about these Playfields as well as the Backglasses and see if it's something we can do without going broke on the projects....Note that we have already done the Haunted House Backglass in 2005.....

Stu
CPR Art Director

#616 8 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

Here are some images of what is supposed to be an early build of the concept game - before Gottlieb was involved - by a group of pinball enthusiasts. Gottlieb essentially bought the "idea" of BH from them, which was the game's name and the lower reversed playfield. They riffed on that, also using their own art, to come up with what went into production.
protot.jpg
Untitled 3.jpg

i love how the window on the prototype is shaped -- like you're looking into a cave or something! thanks for posting!

#617 8 years ago

CPR has done gottlieb backglasses

#618 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Kevin has already informed me that we already have Hi-Res Scans of the Black Hole Playfield(s)

Thanks for clarifying that.
-mof

#619 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Kevin has already informed me that we already have Hi-Res Scans of the Black Hole Playfield(s), as well as the Haunted House Playfields and Spirit Playfield.....We have tossed the idea around of doing these but nothing have ever materialized....yet.
I'll have a chat with Kevin about these Playfields as well as the Backglasses and see if it's something we can do without going broke on the projects...

I think a replacement BH playfield would be well-received. There seems to be a fair number of these machines around and a lot of them have been really messed up by the non-adhesive mylar bumper platters, mine included. I'd be all over a set of new playfields for mine.

#620 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

I'll have a chat with Kevin about these Playfields as well as the Backglasses and see if it's something we can do without going broke on the projects....Note that we have already done the Haunted House Backglass in 2005.....
Stu
CPR Art Director

oh mannn i would probably be in for Black Hole CPR playfield. my game is pretty pristine except for the worn / slightly planking playfield. those pops really tore these things up! it is a game that had a huge production run, and almost all of the examples i've seen have significant damage around the pops (apparently because of those non adhesive platters mentioned above).

i bet there'd be a market for the painted backglass, too.

i assume the limiting factor is that even excellent examples of this game don't really fetch the big bucks of a DMD-era restoration, thus limiting demand...

#621 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

You're safe! cpr has the goodies. Good luck with the sale! this is an awesome piece.

#622 8 years ago

Ok, just got off the phone with Kevin ( on another matter ) but I did bring up the BH & HH projects. Since the last time that Kevin & I spoke about these projects there has been new information that has come to light. Steve Young has the Original Films for the BH & HH Playfields and Plastics ( he has already run the BH Plastics a few times ), but Kevin said that we ) CPR ) are basically in negotiations for Both Playfields for BH * HH and maybe the BH Backglass ( I don't remember, we talked about 300 different things )....
That's all I have as an update.....

#624 8 years ago

I would possibly be interested in a BH playfield as well.

#625 8 years ago

FWIW, as long as I have my black hole. I'm interested in CPR playfields. Currently I'm looking into forking out likely much more on an HSA restoration..

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa100.html
http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa126.html

#626 8 years ago

I would likely spring for a set of BH playfields as well.
Does anyone know where to find the serial number on a gottlieb?

#627 8 years ago
Quoted from Riptor:

I would likely spring for a set of BH playfields as well.
Does anyone know where to find the serial number on a gottlieb?

Check for an ink stamp on top of the backbox. I've also heard of them on the support brace under the playfield, however my numbers don't match. Not sure if I have a Frankenstein or the number means something else.

#628 8 years ago

Serial number is 10025. Did they by chance start numbers at 10000?
I couldnt find a number inside the machine. Are you talking about the rails that the lower playfield sits on?

#629 8 years ago
Quoted from Riptor:

Serial number is 10025. Did they by chance start numbers at 10000?
I couldnt find a number inside the machine. Are you talking about the rails that the lower playfield sits on?

I don't think so, because mine is 7693. I'm sure someone will know what number they started at. I'll post a picture when I get home of the brace I'm talking about. But it goes between the left and right sides and is basically right in the middle bottom of the cabinet. Like I said, I have a number stamp on mine but it differs from the ink stamp on the head. Not sure what that means, or if it's related at all.

#630 8 years ago

Help with Black Hole serial numbers at the pinball serial number database:

http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=307

#631 8 years ago

Here are two places to check for BH serial numbers - inked on the top of the backbox and stamped inside the cabinet sidewall above the shooter lane. I don't have picture handy but I think there's also one inside the cabinet on a cross member.

IMG_0022.jpgIMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0002 (1).jpgIMG_0002 (1).jpg

#632 8 years ago

hello there,

I'm trying to figure out how to repair the captive ball lamp on the main play field. It no longer lights (or flashes at the start) once all the captive hole targets are hit. I've changed the bulb and that's not the problem. The solder to the lamp fixture also appears fine.
Could it be a resistor? Is there a way to diagnose those?

thanks

#633 8 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeAndy:

hello there,
I'm trying to figure out how to repair the captive ball lamp on the main play field. It no longer lights (or flashes at the start) once all the captive hole targets are hit. I've changed the bulb and that's not the problem. The solder to the lamp fixture also appears fine.
Could it be a resistor? Is there a way to diagnose those?
thanks

Odds are it's the transistor on the driver board. You can still check for a bad lamp socket with a meter and also look at the J4 driver board connector condition (especially J4-2, which goes to that lamp, L37). All that leads back to transistor Q38, a likely suspect.

#634 8 years ago

Another test you can make is to attach a jumper wire with 2 alligator clips. Clip one to the tab on that transistor and then briefly touch the other clip to ground. The light should come on. If so, you'll need to replace the transistor. If not, the problem lies elsewhere.

2 weeks later
#635 8 years ago

So I am in the middle of restoring my BH and I can't WAIT to get it going! Closer and closer each day. Need to say it though: I've bought only Williams/Bally pins before (20+) and this is my first Gottlieb. I bought my BH for $400 thinking this would be a killer $500 (and maybe 15 hours of time worth) machine when I got done restoring. NOPE. Wow, this thing needs so much work just because it's a Gottlieb (ground mods, replacing burnt solenoids, transistors, adding resistors, redoing power supply, reflowing solder, blah, blah, blah).

Very excited to get it going, but wow this thing is a hog! Steve is right: System 80: not just a job, it's an adventure!

#636 8 years ago

Stu I'm for the new playfields how much, i might need to go bust a few limbs.

#637 8 years ago

Black Hole became my first pinball purchase a few weeks back. Time to do a little cleaning. I've got some Novus 2, but was wondering about the lower playfield window. Do I use (or not use) anything special to clean the lower playfield window?

#638 8 years ago

Novus 2 is a Plastic Polish....use it for the window.....
Prior to using Novus on the Playfield Clean it good with Naptha.....Then Novus Polish....

Quoted from Zepnargle:

Do I use (or not use) anything special to clean the lower playfield window?

#639 8 years ago
Quoted from Zepnargle:

Black Hole became my first pinball purchase a few weeks back. Time to do a little cleaning. I've got some Novus 2, but was wondering about the lower playfield window. Do I use (or not use) anything special to clean the lower playfield window?

the window polishes up quite nicely with Novus 2.

2 weeks later
#640 8 years ago

Holy crap, CPR BH playfields?! Just the possibility has me excited. I have a very nice original, very faint pop mylar outlines, but the slight planking worries me long term. BH is probably my favorite game in my collection.

#641 8 years ago

Just ordered the PI-80 from flippp. excited to get the BH working!

#642 8 years ago

Does anyone have a good solution to pitching the incline of the lower playfield independent of the upper playfield? I love the way BH plays with the back legs jacked up high, but when the ball goes downstairs the gameplay is super slow and floaty. Any ideas?

#643 8 years ago

. BH is probably my favorite game in my collection.

Amen to that.

#644 8 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Does anyone have a good solution to pitching the incline of the lower playfield independent of the upper playfield? I love the way BH plays with the back legs jacked up high, but when the ball goes downstairs the gameplay is super slow and floaty. Any ideas?

Great question.
Mof

#645 8 years ago

I would be all over a pair of playfields if CPR does them. Its all I need to make my BH perfect. I finally got mine working tonight. It was working when I got it....for 2 days then it died. Wouldnt boot and the lower kicker would lock on during power up. It was a bad 6532 on the mpu.
Its now all working except the two banks of drop targets on the upper playfield are not resetting.
This game has to hold a record for the amount of features in one pin. Flippers...yeah here's 5 of em. Pops...throw in 6 of em.

I do have a question for you BH owners. Is the ball gate by the shooter lane supposed to cycle open and closed constantly during attract mode? Dont know why but it really irritates me.

#646 8 years ago
Quoted from Riptor:

Is the ball gate by the shooter lane supposed to cycle open and closed constantly during attract mode? Dont know why but it really irritates me.

i dont know the answer but mine does it too.

#647 8 years ago

Yep, that's normal behavior.

#648 8 years ago

Yep, it's an "attract" feature. "Click. Click. Click."

#649 8 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Yeah set it up correct jacking up back high is not how game was designed. Fast does not equal better.

#650 8 years ago

Don't know about the factory MPU, but the ni-wumpf had an option to turn that off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.