IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #370 Offer to assist Spooky solve order issues from someone with skill. Posted by TechnicalSteam (2 years ago)

Post #743 Spooky podcast interview July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Post #1315 Math on build dates. Posted by Morinack (2 years ago)

Post #1527 Link to Franchi podcast Posted by manadams (2 years ago)

Post #1868 Still a few CEs available with distributors. Posted by KingPinGames (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#557 2 years ago

In on a CE thanks to Pinballstar. Gave up on the website after 30 mins. My fiber connection didn't make any difference.

I really liked the blue armor on the CE, and I wanted the little extras. Plus, I had the bonus of not waiting so long.

#613 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

Looks like word got out on the Project Pinball raffle.
Site just crashed.

Yeah, I just went a grabbed a few entries. Figured if I win, I can get a Halloween to go with my Ultraman.

1 week later
#902 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Soo... I thought Ultraman was a big Godzilla sized man... no?

Yes, he is generally gigantic, building-sized. Although, I'm not sure if he might have size-changing abilities in some versions/series.

I imagine that a person would need to the comic issue in question in order to find out why he is so small there.

#926 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

UM works pretty nicely.

And HW would have worked just fine for Halloween, if it hadn't been for Hot Wheels.

#969 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

While I have faith in Spooky as they have always lived up to their estimates, I do wonder how this is going to work out. 1,750 pins is a LOT more than 750 (Rick and Morty). It took about 18 months to finish R&M, but now they are saying that they can build more than twice that many games in the same amount of time, with the goal of actually making them all within a year?
That means serious expansion in terms of tooling and employees. I just hope that quality control doesn't suffer, especially since that has not been their strong suit to begin with.

Well Luke and Bug have talked a lot about how they designed this run of games from the ground up to be easier and quicker to build. So that combined with the factory expansions should hopefully keep them on pace.

#997 2 years ago

I REALLY like the blue powder coat on the CE. That's really what sold me on it. I feel like the blue goes better with the art.

#1110 2 years ago

I'm actually hoping for an upper-middle build number, as I've got a JP coming in a couple weeks, and hopefully a Fathom in a few months. And so I'd like to space out my buys if possible.

#1217 2 years ago

CE #350 from PinballStar. My order went through at about 9:40am, for context. A pretty satisfying round number so-to-speak, and about perfect position for me. I'm guesstimating at least 6 or 7 months before delivery for numbers in that range.

I'm in the 80's for a Fathom ME, and I'm hoping to space out the final bills on them.

#1225 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Can you share how you came up with that timeframe guess?

Well, that's just my personal guess. But my reasoning was that in order for Spooky to finish all 1750 games in 18 months, they essentially have to ship 100 games a month. And looking at what we've been told, and how they intend to build the HWNs and UMs, there must be anywhere from 700 to 900 games in front of me. Hence, how I arrived to "at least" 6 or 7 months. Could certainly take longer, but I'm expecting it to take at least that long.

That being said, I'm actually optimistic that they will build them even faster than anticipated. I wouldn't be surprised at all after a couple of months, if they are churning out a lot more than 100 a month, given their track record and their purported improvements to build-efficiency and ease.

#1231 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, most of you guys should ease your expectations on delivery times.
Deliveries will be slow at first and then ramp up as they get the line cranking.
Do yourselves a big favour and don’t set any timelines for delivery. You’ll just be disappointed.
rd

In my case, I'm not worried about delivery times at all. I've got enough other pinball stuff going on, that later is better for me. But we'll see how it goes. It'll be interesting to see how close to the mark I am.

#1576 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

So Kaneda says Spooky will be giving him Ultraman CE #500
Ill find it pretty amnoying if Spooky messes with the number sequence just to make one podcaster feel like his CE is worth more on the resale. Its not like Kaneda will keep the game for more than a few months anyway. He is a pinball "investor". He doesnt deserve special treatment but especially when he didnt care about the theme and we know he will flip it as a rarity (possibly still in box).
Why does this guy feel entitled to some special number 500 edition and mess with the whole number sequence? Its a shitty move it they let it happen.

Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I sure hope that is not happening. 500 should be a standard edition.

Why do you guys care what his number is? Doesn't affect yours in any way whatsoever.

And theoretically, all 500 UMs could have been CEs anyway. Plus, him being last actually just means that everyone else gets their game sooner. Seems like literally everyone wins, and Spooky gets to help out one of their customers in a special way. A customer who also did a great interview with them, and who has been giving them lots of good press.

Like, why wouldn't they go ahead and make his game last if he wants?

#1585 2 years ago

He's not getting #500 because he thinks it'll be worth more on the resale; he's getting #500 because he wants more time before his game ships and his balance is due. He and his wife are planning on buying a home outside of the city sometime within the next year, so he want to have that done before bringing a new pin. Seems pretty innocent to me.

#1618 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The bigger issue with the number thing is why the fuck would Kaneda get to pick a number when nobody else did? If they're just going to give out a number that's completely arbitrary regardless of which edition you bought, then might as well let people have what they want.
If 500 was so important to you....buy a standard like everyone else with a super late number. If you're having to say "Jeezy guys I just can't muster the money in time for a CE...." then YOU CAN'T FUCKING AFFORD IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. The rest of us had to make that calculation....but this special snowflake gets to go around the rules? Yeah, okay.
*edit* and are they seriously going to hold out one set of CE materials and build it last, or is he just getting the number 500 at the end of the CE production? The whole thing is fuckery, plain and simple.

You know why he got #500..cuz he had the balls to ask for it! Did any of you whiners ask for #500 and get denied? I swear some of you guys are like tattletales at school.

It's quite common for businesses to bend the rules when a customer asks nicely. And besides, Spooky has always given preferential treatment to friends and family. It's a way for them to say thanks and show appreciation to people that have supported them.

Also, Kaneda pisses away 2000 dollars a month on building-maintenance fees for an apartment that he owns outright. And he doesn't even get good quality internet for all that.. I'm pretty sure making a speculative extra grand on resale of UM because of the # isn't really here nor there for him. And yes, I'm aware he's flipped NIB games before.

#1619 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Never thought I'd be seeing people argue over who gets 'last'.

LOL! Yep, dumbest thing ever!

#1740 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

The original video source may be so low res that they found keeping it small may be the only way to make it look reasonably sharp. Just a thought.
If anybody here has ever tried to take a picture of their game with new leds in it you know how they bloom and dominate the pic and your game now looks clown puke purple from top to bottom... but only in the pic. I bet the led strips are like that and won't be as overpowering in real life.
Even if you expected Spooky to say this your host of this stream also said that at some point... so it probably isn't an issue in person.

Ultraman got a very nice Blu-Ray release recently, and looks really good. Those old shows from back then used actual film-stock, not video tape, so properly cleaned up and transferred, they can look surprisingly detailed. Which thankfully, Ultraman does. Even the DVD-rips you can find on Youtube actually look pretty decent too.

Quoted from Thunderbird:

Great looking game and loved the effort to recreate the world of Ultraman by Spooky. 3 questions:
1. Can you easily adjust downward those bright flashing lights, so they are not blinding to look at?

The Spooky crew has all ready stated that the lights will be down-adjustable. I honestly wouldn't stress about it until you've played it in person. LEDs on camera ALWAYS look blinding--it's just how most cameras pick them up. Do you really think that Spooky would release a game that's blinding and uncomfortable to play?

Quoted from Thunderbird:

Great looking game and loved the effort to recreate the world of Ultraman by Spooky. 3 questions:
2. Will you make the Ultraman show material much larger on the LCD? Way too small at the moment.

Yeah, bigger footage sure isn't bad. But it seems pretty common to show movie/show clips in a smaller size on these LCD games. Like most recently on Stern's BM66 and EHOH.

Quoted from Thunderbird:

3. Is there a way to almost turn off the flashers that are flashing extreme white light in rapid almost seizure inducing motion?
Those are concerns of some of the people I’ve spoken with and mine as well. When in a dark room, seizure flashing bright lights are very annoying at best. Some people just can’t endure them. So I assume Spooky is making provision for those of us that don’t want that type of blinding lights flashing?
Otherwise, enjoyed the look of the game. With the only other concern of what some have already expressed about the upper playfield needing a way for the ball to contact the upper flipper so it doesn’t just hit the drain without even getting near the flipper, like it did on BKSOR until Stern added the post kit to fix it?

Again, one would hope that Spooky would notice such an issue themselves. Either way, it's pretty common for owners to cover-up annoying flashers themselves, or switch out lighter-colored flasher domes for darker ones.

It doesn't hurt to ask about these issues, since it lets the Spooky crew know what we're concerned about. But I'd expect them to playtest these games a lot, and in different environments with different players, so that hopefully the player being blinded or dazzled won't be an issue.

#1771 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

The display framing feels super retro, matches the show and the era perfectly. I'll reserve final judgement for actually seeing the game in person and it being on more fully realized code.

People reserving judgement until they've actually seen and played the pin in person? What are we trying to be reasonable around here all of the sudden?!

4 weeks later
#1952 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

It’s a new controller designed by Ben Heck named “Pinotaur”.
Before that they were using PROC on ACNC and TNA. AMH and RZ were PinHeck boards.
Spooky has never used a PC for their production games.

To be clear, Ben Heck didn't actually design the boardset, he had a partner who did that. Ben did the coding for the boardset, I believe.

1 week later
#2037 2 years ago

I'm hoping we get a nice dedicated stream of Ultraman sometime soon. I'd like to see more of the game, besides just the JD stream.

1 month later
#2427 2 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

There's one still active at $1300, #78 (and another sale pending). Another CE spot at $1500, #138.
$8300 for a Collector's Edition Ultraman seems like a steal for what you're getting, and like I said, I'm in this for the long haul. But not a good look for Spooky at the moment. Someone just sold a late-run Halloween CE spot for $1060... starting to feel like a race towards the bottom.

Agreed! That's why I picked up CE 259 for $1300, even though I was down for a CE 350 all ready. Too good of deal to pass up, and it gets me a game almost 100 spots sooner. But not too soon, as I want more code updates and the Beta Capsule pre-installed.

When 350 comes due, I'll either sell it or route it then, I suppose.

#2446 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

At least in certain parts when the monsters are fighting and what not. Is it a resolution issue? I figured Ultraman was recorded on film lines BM66 so it should be in HD, but maybe I’m wrong?

Yes, full HD ultraman assets are available.

#2450 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hmm, the fight scenes at least then need to get the full screen treatment in my view…though I get the screen ratios are still not the same as the footage is in the pre flat panel box style. All the same, let the footage be as big as it can be for the action scenes in my view.

Yeah, there's a nice Ultraman blu-ray out there. And the video quality is pretty nice.

Speaking of small video, that's one of my gripes about Stern's Star Wars. Tons of clips, but most of them only take up a quarter of the screen. Dwight did this to accommodate mode stacking, but it sucks that the clips are still small even when you aren't stacking modes.

So I'm not sure why the clips would be small on UM.

2 weeks later
#2688 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

This one! I could be doing it wrong but traditionally I have always followed the club thread for each game!

Okay, got it. This thread has always been the most popular one, so that's what I've stuck to. Guess I'll move to the other one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Wilkes-barre, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 13,500.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman?tu=DakotaMike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.