IMG_6507 (resized).JPG
IMG_6504 (resized).JPG
EF939576-2A29-4A44-B8CF-7FDB08DF1623.gif
ultraman-screen-compare (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211122-121935_Facebook (resized).jpg
E99606E7-A7FD-41CF-BEC5-07A85BD4244D (resized).jpeg
1AB06E33-39B3-4B66-ACBE-D55B932E2412 (resized).jpeg
simpsons-ultraman (resized).png
simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guid

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 55.
#2001 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:The Standard Ultraman/Halloween (that’s got the exact same playfield and gameplay) is looking even better at $6999.

rd

No doubt, it’s at a stern pro price now.

#2002 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Every morning I wake up with a quiet little hope in my belly that today, yes today, I will get the call from spooky...then I go to sleep with tear stained cheeks. Maybe tomorrow will be the day?

Keep it together man!

#2003 2 years ago
15d7969d7b2aebfecfff452783531309 (resized).jpg15d7969d7b2aebfecfff452783531309 (resized).jpg
#2004 2 years ago

Nothing like a league night tonight to break it in. . . Wish us luck!

PXL_20210915_204834196 (resized).jpgPXL_20210915_204834196 (resized).jpg
#2005 2 years ago

Fantastic to see some machines are getting out there now! Thanks for posting the pic

#2006 2 years ago

What does connect-o-vision mean on the display ?

#2007 2 years ago

Any updates on the software on the ones shipped? See some good Halloween vids popping up.

Are you able to show some please when convenient.

#2008 2 years ago

No beta capsule shooter rod?

#2009 2 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

#2010 2 years ago

In the Halloween thread SpookyLuke mentioned they weren't ready and will ship when they come in.
Didn't wanna hold up shipping for it.

#2011 2 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

They are shipping behind the first wave of games

#2012 2 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Great, you're supposed to play as Ultraman but you're gonna be stuck as Hayata till supply chain issues are fixed!

#2013 2 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I never heard of ultraman until I read ready player one. I don't remember if Ultraman was in the movie. Cool idea for a theme though.

I was so sad Ultraman was not in the movie.

#2014 2 years ago

Couple more pictures from last night. . .

Really impressed with this one. Shoots amazingly well. Best Spooky geometry to date for sure! I went into this one blind not wanting to spoil anything so I had no idea what I was doing right off the bat. Found my shots in short order, and a couple of ways into modes, which really bring the game alive.

Has great sound and lightshow. The campiness of Ultraman shines just like Batman '66. Really happy we went with this over the darker themed counterpart. Everyone's initial feedback was super positive. Game will only improve as code develops I imagine.

PXL_20210915_221847574.PORTRAIT (resized).jpgPXL_20210915_221847574.PORTRAIT (resized).jpgPXL_20210916_030347350 (resized).jpgPXL_20210916_030347350 (resized).jpgPXL_20210916_030719795 (resized).jpgPXL_20210916_030719795 (resized).jpgPXL_20210916_030742170.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210916_030742170.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210916_030909831 (resized).jpgPXL_20210916_030909831 (resized).jpg
#2015 2 years ago

How do you like the pin?
Any video to share?

#2016 2 years ago

Only got a few games on it. Loving it so far but really don't have a firm grasp on what I am doing just yet.

Sorry no video, had my hands full. . .

#2017 2 years ago

Based on some of the #s out there the Pinball Kaiju themes may arrive within week or two of one another.

I'm working on setting up a possible Kaiju Ultraman vs Godzilla bash. In my personal space as a fundraiser for an
local animal hospital. This will be a smaller RSVP event in my private home. Trying to pick a weekend where I'm not
competing directly with other events. Might be nice to setup a St. Louis, Whopper event with several participating location over
the course of a weekend. Just throwing that out if any TDs want work it out.

Wife may require some Mask although we have controlled UV / air sanitization system I installed
during peak of crisis.
main-qimg-72c7bc69aa9b1eadc20d904c701ea976 (resized).pngmain-qimg-72c7bc69aa9b1eadc20d904c701ea976 (resized).png

Edit: Still working on my location dealing with the legal stuff and finding the best options for location opening.

#2018 2 years ago
Quoted from kettchxxii:

Has great sound and lightshow.

Oooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! I can't wait to hear Baltan's laugh! Creepy and campy!

Quoted from kettchxxii:

The campiness of Ultraman

Bring it on!

#2019 2 years ago

Got some time in on this pin. Best shooting Spooky pin to date. Long shots and nothing was easy (esp the scoop) , but satisfying when you hit them. The shaker was something else. Sounded like a ship flying through a tunnel

#2020 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

What does connect-o-vision mean on the display ?

are you sure that doesn’t say Collectors Edition?

Edit: just scrolled up and saw what you were talking about, I stand corrected.

#2021 2 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

are you sure that doesn’t say Collectors Edition?
Edit: just scrolled up and saw what you were talking about, I stand corrected.

Its just their splash screen when the OS is loading. Its on ACNC as well.

#2022 2 years ago

Any issues during the tourney? Looks great!!

#2023 2 years ago

How many Ultraman are getting done a week. 6-10??

#2024 2 years ago

There's been a lot of chatter on the Halloween threads about the code, and SpookyLuke has chimed in that they are working on updates, which is great! I'm sure the same is true for Ultraman. But that got me thinking, I would have to assume both pins have basically the same rules, same modes, same multi-balls (just different names, sounds, callouts, etc). So if Spooky adds an update to Halloween, does Ultraman get a similar update, and vice versa? Or maybe the two pins have substantially different code? Luke, Charlie, could you comment on this? Thanks!

#2025 2 years ago

A while back there was a question about the chakram inserts and the topper. Here is a clip showing some of the uses.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultraman/comments/pq4u97/so_instead_of_using_this_move_as_a_projectile/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

#2026 2 years ago

Obligatory

PXL_20210918_140641788.PORTRAIT (resized).jpgPXL_20210918_140641788.PORTRAIT (resized).jpg
#2027 2 years ago

This is going to go great with Godzilla!

#2028 2 years ago
Quoted from kettchxxii:

Obligatory
[quoted image]

Nice to see a coated coin door that matches the game!

#2029 2 years ago

I readjusted the baseline of the data estimator adding 3 weeks as nobody has reported receiving a build notice yet.
This shifts all the dates to the right. (which actually works for me [UM #56] having broken my shoulder over Labor Day weekend)

If things ramp up I can shift it back to left for a true up.
For now we are all still a little in the dark.

Here is the link again:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jt4M6GTDQVdQ4uxgR5mvglB1n-1K0KOkGfWCBuT91vY/edit#gid=271091716

Open to feedback.

#2030 2 years ago

Hey guys, I played the game at Ayce Gogi today!

Here are my first impressions & some constructive suggestions for the team:

The good:

-Absolutely gorgeous. Very few games just “pop” like this. Stunning art, playfield quality, and lighting. I have sensitive eyes & didn’t feel like it was too bright. Perfect lighting, IMO.

-Shots are really smooth. Shots that loop around to other places just feel really nice. Flippers feel awesome, everything feels as it should.

-Light shows are gorgeous so far. There’s a weird trick going on when it flashes red & white - it makes the playfield look like it’s rippling…really cool!

The “bad” (but things that can be fixed in software):

-Halloween seems to have this same issue, but the sound mix is a bit strange. Music needs to be louder, and some sound FX need to be dialed back. The slings sound effect is way too loud and really annoying. It definitely needs to be lowered, but I’d even recommend finding a different sound effect that isn’t so grating. Slings are constantly going off, so you want something cool & not off putting.

-Seems to need way more clips & callouts…but I get that this is early code & that will come.

-I was afraid I wouldn’t dig the inlane lifters, and after playing, I’ll be honest - I kind of wish the scoops just fired back. That being said, I think with A/V & light choreography, this can be “fixed”. The main issue right now is that when you shoot a scoop & are waiting for the lifter, nothing is really happening. Then, there are flashers by the flipper and a “bass buildup” sound…but then the ball just rolls. It’s anti-climactic, if that makes sense, and you’re kinda just guessing as to when the ball is gonna appear. Here’s what I think can help fix this:

1. After the “bass buildup” sound, there needs to be some kind of eject sound to let you know the ball is there. Some kind of impact sound or maybe one of Ultraman’s weird vocal sounds.

2. A better choreographed light show. With the full RGB LEDs, you can program an animated “sweep” of lights toward the flipper/lift and maybe end it with some other sparkle or swirl effects…maybe a little “outward blast” effect when the ball pops out (like the recent Godzilla stomp light show)

3. If there’s a switch in the scoop, I think there should be some kind of video & voice over that “kills time” as the ball is traveling. Maybe Ultraman on the screen doing an action move, and when he yells or shoots a weapon, that’s synced with the ball popping out. Maybe a callout that says something like “watch the right flipper! Ball is appearing…now!”

Anyway, it was cool to play the game before mine shows up. That’s a weird thing these days haha…looking forward to seeing the game evolve and grow. The “bones” are all there. Just needs some of that extra sauce.

#2031 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The good:
-Absolutely gorgeous. Very few games just “pop” like this. Stunning art, playfield quality, and lighting. I have sensitive eyes & didn’t feel like it was too bright. Perfect lighting, IMO.
-Shots are really smooth. Shots that loop around to other places just feel really nice. Flippers feel awesome, everything feels as it should.
-Light shows are gorgeous so far. There’s a weird trick going on when it flashes red & white - it makes the playfield look like it’s rippling…really cool!
-Halloween seems to have this same issue, but the sound mix is a bit strange. Music needs to be louder, and some sound FX need to be dialed back. The slings sound effect is way too loud and really annoying. It definitely needs to be lowered, but I’d even recommend finding a different sound effect that isn’t so grating. Slings are constantly going off, so you want something cool & not off putting.
-Seems to need way more clips & callouts…but I get that this is early code & that will come.
-I was afraid I wouldn’t dig the inlane lifters, and after playing, I’ll be honest - I kind of wish the scoops just fired back. That being said, I think with A/V & light choreography, this can be “fixed”. The main issue right now is that when you shoot a scoop & are waiting for the lifter, nothing is really happening. Then, there are flashers by the flipper and a “bass buildup” sound…but then the ball just rolls. It’s anti-climactic, if that makes sense, and you’re kinda just guessing as to when the ball is gonna appear. Here’s what I think can help fix this:
1. After the “bass buildup” sound, there needs to be some kind of eject sound to let you know the ball is there. Some kind of impact sound or maybe one of Ultraman’s weird vocal sounds.
2. A better choreographed light show. With the full RGB LEDs, you can program an animated “sweep” of lights toward the flipper/lift and maybe end it with some other sparkle or swirl effects…maybe a little “outward blast” effect when the ball pops out (like the recent Godzilla stomp light show)
3. If there’s a switch in the scoop, I think there should be some kind of video & voice over that “kills time” as the ball is traveling. Maybe Ultraman on the screen doing an action move, and when he yells or shoots a weapon, that’s synced with the ball popping out. Maybe a callout that says something like “watch the right flipper! Ball is appearing…now!”
Anyway, it was cool to play the game before mine shows up. That’s a weird thing these days haha…looking forward to seeing the game evolve and grow. The “bones” are all there. Just needs some of that extra sauce.

Thx for update as I’m way behind on Ultraman.
How were the animations looking overall? On the right track? Was not at all impressed with what I saw from Halloween thus far but Spooky says they are early and that will improve as well.

Hope to see more David Van Es magic.
Killed it on ACNC.

#2032 2 years ago

Got some games in at Blue Moon in Madison. Thanks @kettchxxii.

Absolutely blown away how amazing Ultraman looks. It's just stunning and I spent a lot of time just marveling at how perfect the package is. I'm not an Ultraman fan but it's just unreal.

Ultraman is also a very interesting pin to shoot. Lots of things to learn and the left scoop shots are a lot more challenging than they seem.

It's worth a trip to Madison to go to the Blue Moon and check it out.

#2033 2 years ago

When we played the pin in Allentown (first public showing), I was impressed with the integrated video clips. Not that it can't be improved, but it had very retro vibe!

#2034 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Thx for update as I’m way behind on Ultraman.
How were the animations looking overall? On the right track? Was not at all impressed with what I saw from Halloween thus far but Spooky says they are early and that will improve as well.

Ultraman is all show clips, I didn’t really notice any custom animation. Which is fine by me for this theme, especially after what what we’ve seen of Halloween. What’s there so far seems to be mostly loops when you’re in a mode. We definitely need more clips that are specific events/rewards per shot, with corresponding sound/light/shaker choreography. I’m sure it’ll get there. R&M is just stellar & satisfying in the way that the display & sound reacts to your gameplay. This all just rings as “early code” stuff.

#2035 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I was afraid I wouldn’t dig the inlane lifters, and after playing, I’ll be honest - I kind of wish the scoops just fired back. That being said, I think with A/V & light choreography, this can be “fixed”.

Yep .. should be easy enough to sort out.

You can use the 90s Bally Williams as an example - lots have long subways, and there’s always something interesting going on while the ball is travelling down.

Shouldn’t be a huge problem to overcome.

rd

#2036 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

There's been a lot of chatter on the Halloween threads about the code, and SpookyLuke has chimed in that they are working on updates, which is great! I'm sure the same is true for Ultraman. But that got me thinking, I would have to assume both pins have basically the same rules, same modes, same multi-balls (just different names, sounds, callouts, etc). So if Spooky adds an update to Halloween, does Ultraman get a similar update, and vice versa? Or maybe the two pins have substantially different code? Luke, Charlie, could you comment on this? Thanks!

The code is pretty similar for now but truth be told we could deviate if we decide to! You will see Ultraman updates right along with Halloween!

#2037 2 years ago

I'm hoping we get a nice dedicated stream of Ultraman sometime soon. I'd like to see more of the game, besides just the JD stream.

#2038 2 years ago

SpookyLuke in the future will there be a way to stage the balls in the subway to decrease the wait time of the elevator lift?

#2039 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

The code is pretty similar for now but truth be told we could deviate if we decide to! You will see Ultraman updates right along with Halloween!

Great to hear, thanks Luke! So much chatter in the Halloween thread about future updates and new assets and new video clips, it gets lonely here in the Ultraman thread sometimes

#2040 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Great to hear, thanks Luke! So much chatter in the Halloween thread about future updates and new assets and new video clips, it gets lonely here in the Ultraman thread sometimes

Too funny.
I've decided to stay off that thread a little while.
It's gotten to a serious state of FUD over there.
I like the quiet here. I think folks here are all just waiting for the build notices to pop.

#2041 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The good:
-Absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks for this feedback.
As pretty much every "con" listed is related to coding in someway, i am very pleased.

#2042 2 years ago

Waiting for the ball to travel the subways was my main concern when watching the stream. Staged balls on both lifters would take care of this flow killer. I hope it can happen!

#2043 2 years ago

I would think this could cause some problems for coding when it comes to multi-balls.
Once the pins hit the field the real feedback will help iron it out.

- Pre staged balls
- countdown timers
- distraction video

A number of ways to handle it i would think

#2044 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Waiting for the ball to travel the subways was my main concern when watching the stream. Staged balls on both lifters would take care of this flow killer. I hope it can happen!

I promise while you are playing it doesn't feel very long and it really keeps you on your toes, in multiball you will wish it was longer.

#2045 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The good:

Great feedback! I had the same comments about the sling sounds being too loud and not really liking the actual sound effect at all. It was a bit annoying when I played. I would say that there definitely should be a better timed audio cue for the lifter. Or maybe it was just low in volume when I played? But I don't think it needs an involved light show as the lifter action happens a lot at times and I think it would also be annoying to have it happening over and over again. I definitely think that less is more the more plays you have. But for someone stepping up to the game the first few times, they will be surprised by the lifter action.

#2046 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I would say that there definitely should be a better timed audio cue for the lifter. Or maybe it was just low in volume when I played?

When I played, the lifter “warning sound” is very loud and bassy…but there’s no “eject sound”…so there’s a build up sound, and then it’s like whoa there the ball!

Quoted from Palmer:

But I don't think it needs an involved light show as the lifter action happens a lot at times and I think it would also be annoying to have it happening over and over again

I’d don’t mean a big flasher show - but an animated sweep to drive your attention. LOTR sweeps the lights toward the shooter lane when a ball is there, ready to launch. The cool thing about Ultra’s lights is that the effect could be much cooler. Have you seen the end of ball lights on TNA? There are all these white “sparkles”. R&M ha a similar “sparkle” effect during Moonmen. So, just imagine - all the other inserts & GI stay on - but a sweep of white sparkles “animate” toward the left or right flipper. I dunno, I think it would be look really nice & drive your eye to the lifter that’s about to eject.

#2047 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’d don’t mean a big flasher show - but an animated sweep to drive your attention.

I was watching a bit of Tommy's Halloween stream and I see that this is partially implemented in that game. If it isn't in Ultraman, at present, I imagine it will be. What I noticed was, ball goes into scoop, center inserts all go white and then a red insert walks down the ladder, if I'm being clear, then the eject happens. This only seemed to happen on a right scoop shot, not the left hedge shots, so perhaps they will implement it on the left side.

#2048 2 years ago

Overall I've been impressed with the Ultraman video assets, but the one area where I feel there is the most room for improvement is the display overlay. I didn't spend a lot of time trimming these, but when you compare Ultraman to a game like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles you can see how little space there is for clips. Matt Frank did such an amazing job with the artwork on this game I'd love to see him create some more interesting overlays that help to transition his comic style with the clips from the episodes.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

Ultraman Comic 2 (resized).JPGUltraman Comic 2 (resized).JPG

I also like how Marvel Comics added some animation to the still images from the comics for their trailers.

#2049 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Overall I've been impressed with the Ultraman video assets, but the one area where I feel there is the most room for improvement is the display overlay. I didn't spend a lot of time trimming these, but when you compare Ultraman to a game like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles you can see how little space there is for clips. Matt Frank did such an amazing job with the artwork on this game I'd love to see him create some more interesting overlays that help to transition his comic style with the clips from the episodes.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Overwhelmingly my biggest complaint is the display interface. The Ultraman video assets are so cool, but they're showed on the small postage stamp monitor in the middle.

Hopefully seeing how amazing the Godzilla clips looked in that reveal convinces Spooky that they should let the clips come to life more than they are now. I know they want the retro monitor vibe, but please find a way to do it that's more functional. The screen is tiny, the scores are tiny, etc. I'm likely going to have this next to a Godzilla, and hopefully the clips in this game aren't dwarfed by the ones in Godzilla.

#2050 2 years ago

I didn't watch the Godzilla stream until just now. I think Spooky / Matt Frank could come up with something way better. The overlay on TMNT is still my favorite. I like having the key information displayed in an interesting way with the video clip playing behind the overlay. I did like the Kaiju Battle selection screen from Godzilla. I hope something like that will be implemented with Ultraman. As the code does start to diverge I could see those battles being more important on Ultraman versus the pumpkin modes on Halloween.

PS: I think the that radar map could still be used when you knock down the drop targets to show that a Kaiju is near.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 2,718 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 55.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-ultraman/page/41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.