(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 36.
    #1701 5 months ago

Just like a grill, you have to "season" the kettle.

After a few batches, all the manufacturing oils will burn away.

Some people do the seasoning outside to avoid the stench

Once seasoned, just wipe occasionally with a paper towel

#1702 5 months ago
    Quoted from Dezman:

Looking for some advice on a new machine. Just got an 8 OZ popper from Great Northern. Actually the same one as the post above.
    Do the first few batches come nasty? On the first time heating the was some sort of smoke or steam coming from the kettle that had a nasty metallic stink. Maybe residuals from manufacturing process need to burn off. Seems unhealthy.
    Anyways looking for advice. How many batches should I run through before 'breaking in' the machine. I know the kettle has a bit of a cast iron effect that needs to develop. Is this something to be concerned about.

Sounds like there is oil on the kettle lining to prevent rust during storage. I'd clean it with food grade soapy water (Dish soap), rinse, dry, and the use.

#1703 5 months ago

There was definitely some residual oil from the factory. Wiped down the kettle with a little soap water, rinsed, then wiped dry. Then I ran through 2 more batches outside which was a good idea because it still had stink and something was smoking from it. The last batch would have probably been good to eat but trashed it and it is up and running fine now.

If anyone get a new machine try this it worked for me. Thanks for the advice.

#1704 5 months ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

To JDubbbs (the OP),
    RIP
    Your still remembered at the Vintage Flipper World (VFW)
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Also a founding member of the Detroit Pinball League, still going after 12+ years -

1 week later
    #1705 5 months ago

Does the size of the kettle make a different in popcorn quality? I only have a 6 oz Olde Midway popper. I’ve been using the Great Northern 6 oz pre packs. I put the oil in first and let it heat for a minute or so. Then I add the salt which I’ve read is actually Flavacol. Then after another 2 or 3 minutes I add the kernels. I’ve tried different oil heating times but I keep getting a lot of under popped kernels. Small, hard popcorn instead of larger fluffy popcorn. Also getting a lot of old maids. Any ideas or suggestions?

IMG_0307 (resized).jpegIMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    #1706 5 months ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

Does the size of the kettle make a different in popcorn quality? I only have a 6 oz Olde Midway popper. I’ve been using the Great Northern 6 oz pre packs. I put the oil in first and let it heat for a minute or so. Then I add the salt which I’ve read is actually Flavacol. Then after another 2 or 3 minutes I add the kernels. I’ve tried different oil heating times but I keep getting a lot of under popped kernels. Small, hard popcorn instead of larger fluffy popcorn. Also getting a lot of old maids. Any ideas or suggestions?[quoted image]

Put the oil in.

When the oil is smoking HOT, add the corn then the flavicol.

When the corn popping slows down to maybe 1 kernel per second, dump the kettle and turn it off.

Open the door and let the steam out for crispier corn after its dumped from the kettle. Toss it around to evenly cover the flavicol and let more steam out.

Dont wait for all the popping to stop, the corn can get singed or have a roasted burned taste.

Practice makes perfect.

Dont wash the kettle, just wipe it out and let it get seasoned.

Popped corn is good for a long time (2 months) in ziploc bags. Microwave it briefly (30 secs or less) to freshen it up.

I usually make about 10 batches at a time and eat it over a couple weeks.

#1707 5 months ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Put the oil in.
    When the oil is smoking HOT, add the corn then the flavicol.
    When the corn popping slows down to maybe 1 kernel per second, dump the kettle and turn it off.
    Open the door and let the steam out for crispier corn after its dumped from the kettle. Toss it around to evenly cover the flavicol and let more steam out.
    Dont wait for all the popping to stop, the corn can get singed or have a roasted burned taste.
    Practice makes perfect.
    Dont wash the kettle, just wipe it out and let it get seasoned.
    Popped corn is good for a long time (2 months) in ziploc bags. Microwave it briefly (30 secs or less) to freshen it up.
    I usually make about 10 batches at a time and eat it over a couple weeks.

Thanks for the tips. I will try letting it heat longer. I do just wipe out the kettle. I only have a few bags of the pre measured kits left. I think I’m going to switch to something else. I usually cut each section of the bag and dump it in the kettle but it’s kind of tricky because it’s so small.

#1708 5 months ago

The oil has to be screaming hot before adding the corn.

We don't want to slow cook the kernels.

#1709 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Thanks. I’ll definitely try letting it heat much longer.

#1710 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Just watch your finger on the edge of the kettle, I tend to singe mine every once in a while.

#1711 5 months ago

Interesting.

I’ve tried it both ways and I like mine best when it’s added to oil that has just liquified. I add the oil and as soon as it’s liquid, I add the corn. I also dump mine early compared to when most people probably do.

We like it better that way.

#1712 5 months ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Interesting.
    I’ve tried it both ways and I like mine best when it’s added to oil that has just liquified. I add the oil and as soon as it’s liquid, I add the corn. I also dump mine early compared to when most people probably do.
    We like it better that way.

I also tried it both ways and add the popcorn as soon as the oil is melted. It doesn’t take very long if I preheat the kettle as instructed.

#1713 5 months ago

I don't have a popper, but I make popcorn in a sauce pan fairly regularly, coconut oil flavacol, sort of the way you guys all do it in the poppers. If I put the corn in right after the oil is liquid, it ends up tasting greasy to me when it's done, I wait till the oil is hot af and drop the corn then. Probably matter of taste I guess.

3 weeks later
    #1714 4 months ago

I scoop the oil into the kettle, then add flavacol, then 2-3 kernels. Once those pop I add the rest of the kernels. Once the popping slows down I dump them out and mix up the batch.

#1715 4 months ago

Last night was the best batch of popcorn I’ve made in the 2 years since I’ve had this machine. It was delicious. I used less popcorn and more oil. This is a small 6 oz kettle. I didn’t use the pre packs this time. I used about 4 oz of Great Northern kernels instead of the 6 oz of kernels the 6 oz pre packs come with. I also used about 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. I’m pretty sure that’s more than I was using with the pre packs. I was a little light on the Flavacol but that’s ok. I’ll adjust that. I don’t know what did it. Less kernels giving them more room in the kettle or the more oil. Or maybe it was a little of both. I also gave the oil a good 5 minutes for it to get really hot which I’ve been doing. More experimenting to do.

#1716 4 months ago

More coconut oil is the answer.... For so many things.

Quoted from phillyfan64:Last night was the best batch of popcorn I’ve made in the 2 years since I’ve had this machine. It was delicious. I used less popcorn and more oil. This is a small 6 oz kettle. I didn’t use the pre packs this time. I used about 4 oz of Great Northern kernels instead of the 6 oz of kernels the 6 oz pre packs come with. I also used about 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. I’m pretty sure that’s more than I was using with the pre packs. I was a little light on the Flavacol but that’s ok. I’ll adjust that. I don’t know what did it. Less kernels giving them more room in the kettle or the more oil. Or maybe it was a little of both. I also gave the oil a good 5 minutes for it to get really hot which I’ve been doing. More experimenting to do.

#1717 4 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

More coconut oil is the answer.... For so many things.

Good to know, thanks.

2 weeks later
    #1718 3 months ago

Jumped behind the bar to see what ingredients my bar uses to make the best popcorn I've ever had. Has anyone here ever tried Sysco's Creamy Soybean Pan & Grill Shortning or where to even buy it? Also adding just a little salt once finished. Their machine is probably 10+ years old making 4-5 batches per day and looks to be holding up perfectly well.

Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #1719 3 months ago

Soybean? That’s a big no!

#1720 3 months ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Why do you say that?

#1721 3 months ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Do you say that because of taste or smoke point

#1722 3 months ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Its grilling shortening. It should be fine with the high smoke point.

As long as it doesnt burn up black, it should work.

Tons of popcorn is made on the stove top every day with a little plain vegetable oil in the pan then dusted with salt.

#1723 3 months ago
    Quoted from MRG:

Do you say that because of taste or smoke point

It’s not good for you. We generally avoid it in anything we get. But I’m sure it will be fine for its use.

#1724 3 months ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

It’s not good for you. We generally avoid it in anything we get. But I’m sure it will be fine for its use.

What makes you say that it’s not good for you? Which oil do you use?

#1725 3 months ago

We use coconut oil for popcorn and most of what we do at home. And I use sprouted popcorn. Seasoning I'm still using Flavacol as I have 3 lifetimes worth of it. But I shouldn't really preach. My wife has turned me into a fanatic looking at things we buy to eat and soybean is one we avoid. I have a gene mutation and need to avoid high histamine foods/drinks as well as other things. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/24#post-4098904

TL;DR: Soybean oil is probably fine and was just spouting my useless opinions on it!

#1726 3 months ago

Well if I can find this somewhere I will try it and report back. The problem buying anything Sysco it's restaurant quantity and you need to buy it by the ton lol.

#1727 3 months ago
    Quoted from Dezman:

Well if I can find this somewhere I will try it and report back. The problem buying anything Sysco it's restaurant quantity and you need to buy it by the ton lol.

Ask your bar to sell you some.

#1728 3 months ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Ask your bar to sell you some.

Bartender! I'll have a pint of grill shortning please.

#1729 3 months ago

https://ezshop.primesxm.com/fsd-shortening-pan-grill-3x1-1-gal-piece.html

Pricey for just soybean oil with artificial flavorings

#1730 3 months ago

I wonder if a vegetable oil and shortening batch would be any good. Wouldn’t it be the same thing?

1 week later
    #1731 3 months ago

Great Northern Lincoln popper is $129 on woot. Valid for the next 23 days. Free shipping for prime members:

https://home.woot.com/offers/great-northern-lincoln-8-ounce-antique-popcorn-machine-bar-style-2?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app

It’s a great deal if you ask me.

#1732 3 months ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Great Northern Lincoln popper is $129 on woot. Valid for the next 23 days. Free shipping for prime members:
    https://home.woot.com/offers/great-northern-lincoln-8-ounce-antique-popcorn-machine-bar-style-2?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app
    It’s a great deal if you ask me.

That's a great unit that you see in every mom & pop pub.

Easy to service.

#1733 3 months ago

Says Sold Out already RIP

#1734 3 months ago

GD I just got back on here to find this. I didn't get a chance to look at it earlier.

#1735 3 months ago

F.Y.I. if you do not have a concession supply in a near by city. Check in Rural King if one is close. The local one has a section in snacks for popcorn machines. Looked like 10 pound or so bags of kernels, flavacol, bags, and various supplies. Empty spot on the self for red coconut oil.
    We have a Great Northern machine scheduled to deliver Saturday. I had grabbed some refined coconut oil and ghee at the grocery earlier.

1 week later
    #1738 88 days ago

Finally found what to do with old maids!

IMG_0013 (resized).jpegIMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    #1739 83 days ago

Our Grandson is visiting this weekend. Yesterday evening he ate 2 8 ounce batchs of popcorn. 15 yearolds are hollow.

#1740 83 days ago

I would have shit like a goose for days

Quoted from Sputnik:Our Grandson is visiting this weekend. Yesterday evening he ate 2 8 ounce batchs of popcorn. 15 yearolds are hollow.

#1741 83 days ago

That’s a quick 3400 calories and 56 grams of fiber by my recipe.

#1742 83 days ago

I remember being able to eat an entire large pizza as a teenager - in “one sitting”. No way I could do that now without more than “one shitting”.

#1743 83 days ago

Yep, today was craptastic for Buddy. Might have broken his record from the time he ate 36 slim jims....

#1744 83 days ago
    Quoted from Sputnik:

Yep, today was craptastic for Buddy. Might have broken his record from the time he ate 36 slim jims....

That’s an outrageous amount of fiber for one to consume. It’s like 4x my daily target amount. This too shall pass buddy

#1745 83 days ago

Who is ready to stick their body parts into the Dune2 popcorn bucket?
    Does this popcorn seem extra salty to you?Does this popcorn seem extra salty to you?FoxNews is going to be pissed..FoxNews is going to be pissed..

#1746 83 days ago

Endless PossibilitiesEndless Possibilities

#1747 83 days ago

Release date is March 1st.

Im getting it!

#1748 82 days ago

So, usually for big gatherings, I like to use popcorn bags (I keep them in the brochure holder on top of the machine, as seen in a prior post) because I can buy them buy the case of 1000 and people can grab them at their leisure.

But the other night I had a smaller gathering, and found that these smaller buckets were perfect, and fit right in the cup holders:

IMG_7965 (resized).jpegIMG_7965 (resized).jpeg

$7 for 50

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/carnival-king-24-oz-popcorn-cup-pack/999V24.html

#1749 82 days ago

My wife snagged a Nostalgia Electrics popper off of our neighborhood 'buy nothing' group a while back. I love it - really thought the kids would be more into it! Been experimenting with flavacol & coconut oil ratios over here as well. We were planning to use it as 'movie night' incentive (kids insist they HATE watching movies, thought popcorn might help them get into the spirit) but hadn't considered them being a good 'game night' ingredient too!

#1750 82 days ago

Those Dune worms are everywhere now

Puddles Pity Party - Brain Damage / Eclipse (Pink Floyd Cover)

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.