(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

I've got a medium commercial machine.

Don't use butter or regular oil for popping, because the machine takes the oil over 500*F and regular oil will scorch or break down.

Don't use "popcorn oil" from those food service places either, it's greasy junk.

You want real Coconut Oil - it's high temp, healthy stuff.

Add Flavacol to the hot oil for real movie theater taste.

flava.jpgflava.jpg
    #22 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Have experts reversed their thinking on coconut oil? I remember when the Center for Science in the Public Interest lobbied hard to have coconut oil banned from movie theaters. This was a while ago, though, so things could have changed. I definitely agree that coconut oil makes the best popcorn, hands down.

Back in the day, Big Corn paid to have "research" done to try and demonize Coconut Oil, the same way a single law firm paid to have childhood immunizations "become" the cause of autism .

Nowadays people are claiming that Coconut Oil is the next big "cure all" and best source of MCTs.

Always follow the money.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Also, always use genuine Flavacol. Accept no substitutes.

This.

There are 2 popular Flavacols; standard and better butter.

The better butter is slightly sweeter. At $2.50 a box, get 'em both and pick your favorite.

#28 10 years ago

Also, don't put those "candy corn" glazes into home poppers.

You can only use them in pro poppers with a special setting.

You will be very sorry if you coat your home machine with permanent glazing, lol.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

I will also forget about the butter warmer/dispenser...... that is if i can find an equal medium to keep me happy.

Using regular melted butter kind of dissolves the popcorn into a soggy mess.

High end theaters that brag that they use "real butter" use Clarified Butter or Ghee .

Clarified butter is often in the seafood section and Ghee is in the ethnic section of the grocery store. They are both basically the same thing - butter with all the excess moisture removed.

(can you guys tell I've installed many a commercial popcorn machine? lol)

#32 10 years ago

VID'S GUIDE TO REPAIRING HOME POPCORN MACHINES:

At some point you will note that the Kettle does not heat up, or it does heat up, but only 10% of the kernels pop.

When you call the company, they will tell you that your kettle needs replacing at $90 to $175.

First check that you have voltage at the plug the pigtail plugs into on the roof of the machine when the Heat switch is engaged.

On inexpensive machines, the heating element is braised to the kettle itself - but the element almost never burns out in a home setting.

After checking that the heating element is conductive with your meter, you now know that it is the thermostat or the high limit switch.

If the thermostat has the tiny set screw adjustment in it, you can often just give it a turn to clean the tip and then put it right back where it was set. If that does not fix it, replace it ($5 part).

If the thermostat/limit switch looks like a metal diode, just replace it (.50 cent part).

You can put the disassembled kettle in a vice and test the whole thing on your bench with a laser thermometer, but be careful as you don't want to touch a 500*F element by accident.

therm.jpgtherm.jpg
    9 months later
    #55 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

pure ghee. the fast track to a heart attack. : P or at the least, high cholesterol.

Your Cholesterol is just your bad genes more than anything you eat.

My doctor, she is a strict vegan (no fish, no milk....) and her cholesterol would be crazy high w/o medication.

Take your Lipitor, enjoy good popcorn.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

Yeah under the Hot Dog Rotisserie is a Bun Warmer for the hot dogs....The pictures are about 4 years old now & I have done some Upgrades since then I just don't have any recent pics, but I did add a Chili Dispenser for the Nachos & Hot Dogs to go with the Nacho Cheese...YUM!

Nacho cheese on a hotdog is good stuff.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Bought a Theater popper a few years ago and honestly too much of a PITA for us. You had to unscrew a couple really tiny screws to get the top off the kettle to really clean it good. I'll stick with microwave popcorn.....

Don't bother cleaning it good.

Just like you never clean a coffee pot, you never clean a popcorn kettle.

The flavor keeps getting better and better.

(just like the 212*F boiling water kills any germs in the coffee pot, the 500*F temp of the popcorn kettle REALLY kills any germs.

#80 9 years ago

Maybe once a month I wipe out the kettle with a paper towel just to get the crap off of the stirrer.

Otherwise my machine has not been cleaned back to bare steel in probably 8 years.

Tastes great, less cleaning.

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ah, I need to order one of these too. Looks like a lot of fun.

ebay.com link: USED Popcorn Machine MAKE OFFER

You can often get used commercial machines for cheap.

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Who knows the difference between all the different color boxes of flavacols? .

Quoted from vid1900:

There are 2 popular Flavacols; standard and better butter.
    The better butter is slightly sweeter. At $2.50 a box, get 'em both and pick your favorite.

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from Carl_694:

Seems like it would be great for popcorn but space could be an issue. How much real estate do they "consume?"

http://www.htmarket.com/lianbl8ozpop1.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=86382744801&gclid=CK_JnfP9hcECFeJcMgod0VwA5Q

The popular 8oz home poppers are ~18x20" base size

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from dendoc:

It may be there, but is microwave popcorn OK, or should I source something else?

Buy real popcorn, it usually comes in 50 pound bags for $20 USD. Get giant Yellow or White.

Don't get "mushroom" popcorn because that is only for candy coating (like caramel or toffee ).

Don't put candy coatings in regular popcorn machines (unless there is a low-temp switch for that purpose on the control panel).

Only use Coconut Oil. The Red Coconut Oil looks great on popcorn (yellowy looking).

#106 9 years ago

Usually you get 25 bags with the home units.

They are really small bags, you won't be impressed.

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Is that a vote for the cardboard boxes?

LOL.

Bags, boxes and buckets are fine. Just make sure to get some good sized ones.

Make sure the bags are flat bottomed, or they won't stand up, and can't be set down.

Buckets are the least likely to leak all over you.

Cones are the best scam if you are selling popcorn - they look huge, but actually hold very little product:

corn cone.jpgcorn cone.jpg

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

This stuff is amazing though! I'll never eat mircowave crap again.

I've never been able to eat the microwave crap.

Each time I used to see "super movie butter" , "ultimate butter", "REAL movie butter" I'd try it at someone's house and spit it out.

Not fit for human consumption.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Not sure what the hype around Flavacol is? Tastes like salt and if I put too much in its really too salty.

Don't put too much in the oil !

For a 6oz corn pop , put 1 teaspoon (that's the little spoon in the set) and it will taste just like the movies.

If you want it to taste like the super salty bar popcorn, put 1.5 teaspoon per 6oz corn - this will make you drink more beer.

Don't forget, it has to go into the coconut oil and get cooked, it's not to be shaken on top.

#124 9 years ago

Hi. Will that create a mess? I thought adding anything besides corn and coconut oil to kettle would make clean up of kettle and inside a pain. What do you think?

No, flavorcol salt does not leave any sticky residue behind.

Will the flavor linger in kettle even after wipe down? My little girls just like the plain stuff. Thanks.

The kettle itself will become "seasoned" after about 10 batches of coconut oil, and then you will have the best tasting popcorn in the world. Same as your BBQ grill or Cast Iron Skillet.

Wipe out any salt and old maids with a dry paper towel.

2 months later
    #163 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bribo13:

I put mine to the curb 3 weeks ago. it turned into a huge PITA to keep the kettle clean. just not worth the hassle.

You don't clean them, ever.

Unless the inside of the kettle burns black because you put some crazy wrong oil in there, you just leave it.

Just like a coffee pot, you don't clean it because the boiling water kills any bacteria - you don't clean the kettle because 500*F is going to kill bacteria (an autoclave only heats up to 250*F) and the flavor only gets better the more seasoned the kettle gets.

#167 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

You can add as much butter and salt you want to air pop. Tastes the same.

Exactly.

No matter how much butter and salt you put on air pop, it still tastes like the same pile of shit.

#171 9 years ago

1/2 oz (machine probably came with a little spoon) Red Coconut Oil $22/gallon

8oz (again, it probably came with cup). Buy a 50lb bag for $26. DON'T buy "mushroom" popcorn, that is only for making caramel corn.

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

and what type of salt

Flavorcol - get both regular and Better Butter - at $3 a box, you can try both. Use 1/2 of what the box says, otherwise it's WAY too salty. Make sure the Flavorcol goes INTO the oil, don't sprinkle it on the popcorn!!!!!!

Get real clarified butter with the moisture removed, often called "Ghee", although the Flavorcol might be all you need. Pour on finished popcorn, don't put it in the machine!!! $6

Melting regular butter makes for soggy popcorn because of all the moisture.

#172 9 years ago
    Quoted from mattenno:

What is a good Nacho Cheese dispenser to get?

How tall is your counter?

You need to be able to get your mouth under the spout.

#173 9 years ago

Well, I prefer it over cinema popcorn as well from my kettle style popper mainly because I can add exactly how much butter I want.

You did not put butter into your kettle popper did you?

Butter can't handle that kind of heat.

Always add the butter AFTER the corn has been popped.

#176 9 years ago

Now I guess I do sound like a take popcorn seriously haha.

lol

1 week later
    #215 9 years ago
    Quoted from jtreehorn:

Does anyone use/recommend a "buttery" topping like this:
    amazon.com link »

Get real butter topping instead of crappy chemicals:

http://www.popntop.com/popntop_topbutterfat.html

#221 9 years ago
    Quoted from mattenno:

Any tips on how to clean the kettle afterwards?

Don't clean it.

It needs to be "seasoned" to produce the best corn.

Same with a grill or a cast iron frying pan.

Wipe it out with a dry paper towel once in a while.

Don't let your wife clean it either.

#229 9 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Just make sure you strain it to remove any particulate because the second cooking in a popper would likely burn the remnants.

Bacon fat might catch fire in the high heat of the popcorn popper, as it's smoke point is only 350*F.

If you are going to use it, you should probably only use it as a topping - not as a popping oil !

#231 9 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

BACON man! Popcorn AND bacon? Two of the best foods ever together?

They sell it at those "popcorn factory" stores, and they will even serve it with drizzled dark chocolate....mmmmmm

#236 9 years ago

I just let the kids (and adults) go crazy with their oily, salty fingers.

It does not hurt the games and it smells better than the kids normally do.

3 weeks later
    #316 9 years ago

The popcorn popper should have the doors closed, otherwise it will pop all over the floor.

A full kettle of corn will for sure open the kettle lid and explode into the machine.

#323 9 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

This is not true. You do not want the doors shut, at least crack them. With GM machines, you can leave the doors open and popcorn will not fly out of the machines. Maybe a kernel or two occasionally, but this is no big deal.

Most modern machines have a gap above the doors to let the steam out, so the corn stays crisp.

Read your manual.

#335 9 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

See below pictures. We make the best machines in the world, so I am speaking to what I sell. There is no gap and every operator of our machines knows the basic knowledge of keeping the doors open while popping.

Sure, you know your machines, but what I was saying is that many modern machines (like those ultra- popular 8oz Lincoln and Great Northerns) say in the manual to:

" Step 9 - Close doors on main unit "

So that is why I said:

Quoted from vid1900:

Read your manual.

So you don't get popcorn all over the floor, lol.......

1 week later
    #350 9 years ago

Yep, super fast to just make your own mix.

1 week later
    #378 9 years ago
    Quoted from sinnisterjsb:

Also, where does everyone buy their popcorn supplies?

Search on "concession supplies" in your metro area.

http://www.cjdannemiller.com/ OH

http://www.americanconcessionsupply.com/ CO

http://www.detroitpopcorn.com/ MI

2 weeks later
    #394 9 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Anyone have any tips for preserving the leftovers. Ziploc bags don't cut it.

Just give it to the dog.

Popcorn is like french fries, you got to eat it fresh.

You can make 1/2 batches next time.

#397 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I would recommend against this if the popcorn has salt/Flavacol on it. A lot of salt is not good for dogs.

My dogs eat it all the time.

They also eat chocolate, squirrels, onions, and probably everything else that "they" say is bad for dogs.

BTW: they get all the bacon grease poured over their food too, lol.

1 week later
    #426 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I cringe when I think about cleaning a cotton candy machine. How bad are they?

8-Super-Troopers-quotes.png8-Super-Troopers-quotes.png
    1 month later
    #437 8 years ago

That's how he steam cleans his walls.

#457 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

I think I'll also order the Flavorcol (sp?) and premeasured kits.

Usually those premade kits already have the Flavorcol in the oil.

#493 8 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Does this count? It has been sitting in the cupboard since 1993.
    The Great Hot Air Popper

Those are great for making popcorn to string up around the Christmas tree!

But the corn it pops is strictly for ornamental use, do not ingest.

#494 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Do you find the coconut oil makes the popcorn taste different?

Coconut has a super high scorch temp, so the corn comes out pure.

Other oils make it heavy and dirty tasting.

3 weeks later
    #515 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

One question: How often do you clean out the kettle and/or the entire machine?

It will take about 12 batches for the kettle to become seasoned, and the corn to taste it's best.

Just wipe the kettle with a dry paper towel, and let the crap fall into the old maid drawer.

Clean the glass whenever it looks too funky - probably once a month for most users.

`

You can always do 1/2 batches of 4oz corn instead a full batch of 8oz.

#519 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Made first batch of popcorn last night. TERRIBLE AND STALE. I'm pretty mad. It was like chewing a styrofoam ice chest.
    I guess I need to find another place to buy popcorn. Anyone suggest someplace that I can order some good fresh stuff???

Find your local "concession supply" company.

Don't buy "mushroom popcorn" unless you are glazing it.

#521 8 years ago

The oil needs to be really hot (425*F) before adding the corn, 3 minutes seems too soon.

If you don't have a laser thermometer, drop in a single kernel. If it does not almost instantly pop, it's not hot enough.

1 week later
    #534 8 years ago

A nubie mistake is too put the corn in too early, and when it finally pops, it comes out kinda chewy (like stale popcorn).

Make sure the oil is crazy hot, before adding the corn.

#536 8 years ago

There is a high limit cut off switch bolted to a stud on the bottom of the kettle that keeps the oil from getting too hot should the normal thermostat switch fail.

Should the thermostat AND the high limit switches both somehow fail, it could ignite the oil.

#539 8 years ago

5 minutes is all you need.

You can check it with a laser thermometer.

I would not leave oil 15 mins unattended, just in the one in a million chance that both switches failed.

#569 8 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

For those with the bulk packs what's the measurements for coconut oil and kernels per batch?

1 Tablespoon coconut oil (that's the big one, not a little teaspoon) for 8oz corn.

#570 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

1 Tablespoon coconut oil (that's the big spoon, not a little teaspoon) for 8oz corn.

#572 8 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Is that 1/2 cup of popcorn?

Yes, figure that there is 16oz in a cup, so 8oz in a 1/2 cup.

#574 8 years ago

Usually you use "Red Coconut Oil", but try that organic stuff and see what it does.

#577 8 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

It turned out okay but had a little too much of a coconut taste to my liking.

I can't taste any coconut flavor putting Red Coconut Oil directly in my mouth.

Maybe the organic stuff is different?

#585 8 years ago
    Quoted from Goner:

I usually heat the coconut oil for 5 minutes and add the flavacol and then the popcorn. It usually takes a couple more minutes before things start popping. With all the talk about heating the oil until super hot, after adding the popcorn should it start popping right away or will it take a couple minutes?

When you drop all that corn in, the oil temp instantly falls and then takes a minute to return to popping temp.

If you drop a single kernel in, it will pop almost immediately.

#587 8 years ago

I like the Flavorcol "Better Butter" .

#590 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Vid I brought home my laser thermometer. The oil never got to 425*F, not even close. I hit 200*F after 10 minutes of the oil being heated up in the kettle. I'm only on my 5th batch so I still have to season the kettle, but what gives?

It must have got hotter at some point, or I don't think the corn would have popped.

Aim that laser into a pot of boiling water and see if it's working correctly (212*F, or 100*C)

3 weeks later
    #608 8 years ago

The light usually turns on the warmer for home units.

#620 8 years ago

8oz is just fine for home use with the occasional party.

You see 8oz in small bars all the time. They cook up 4 batches to start the night, then play it by ear.

#634 8 years ago

Most machines say to coat the interior metal parts with coconut oil to "season" the metal before you start to use it.

The baked on oil coating helps prevent rust from all the salt.

#648 8 years ago

Any restaurant supply or sheet metal shop could bend you a new roof out of stainless steel, if you don't like the look of the galvanized metal reacting to all the salt.

A 24"x 24" square of 26ga stainless is ~$20 + .25 hour shop time ~$15.

Or if you have a sheet brake at work or your father in law's garage, bend it yourself for free.

Hell, run off 25 of 'em and sell them on Pinside.

#651 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

If only they would have known in advance that the machine would produce a high humidity, high salt environment.

LOL

You know it probably started out with a stainless roof and screws, but China will ship anything they can get away with.

Do you think the paint on the unit contains lead....?

#665 8 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

this thread has officially made me sad

1 page of misc complaints about rust or build quality

1 post of somebody recommending banging out sheet metal to replace the interior (wtf?)

We are pinball owners.

We own tools.

We fix things.

We are men.

#667 8 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

1 post of somebody recommending banging out sheet metal to replace the interior (wtf?)

The only part that would possibly need replacement is the single galvanized roof panel. A very simple job, well within the abilities of any pin tech.

Like my grandfather used to say:

"When your Frisbee is stuck in the rain gutter, there are only 2 kinds of fathers in the world. One who tells you to wait and see if the lawn guy will climb up and get it for you, and one who pulls out a ladder."

#680 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I'm finding more and more rust. At this rate Ill be starting a restore thread on the damn thing.

I'm going to do a guide on clearcoating the paint and bending new #8 mirror stainless for the roof.

The mirror finish makes the popcorn 6% brighter looking.

2 months later
    #739 8 years ago

Just don't pour in all 8oz of the corn.

Save the 2oz of corn from each packet for future use.

If you put too much corn in, the popper won't have enough BTUs. You will get more unpopped, 1/2 popped or smaller popped kernels.

#741 8 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

THanks Vid. Bit of a pain though wouldn't ya say? I picture a container with loose kernels hanging around that I'll likely never use. Guess I'll send it back 'sigh'. Of course I went with the kits for the convenience, and now its inconvenient LOL!

Every 3 poppings, you will have enough to pop a batch.

Not too inconvenient.

If you don't want to do that, just throw them to the birds - they love that kind of stuff.

#743 8 years ago

For the price of a box of mix, just get a 50lb bag of corn $23, a gallon of red Coconut oil $22, and a box of Flavorcol $3.50.

That's what I'd do.

1 month later
    #754 8 years ago

If you get a new roof, you can "season" it with oil before you install it. Just bake it in the oven like you would a cast iron skillet

#761 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

I don't understand what you mean by "warning".

In America, "Warning" has the same meaning as "Beware" in Canada.

#770 8 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I wouldn't eat anything out of that and certainly wouldn't feed to kids or guests. I think it's a lost cause, and any remedy they provide for free will be just as suspect

A cast iron skillet or iron grill grate will have the same oxidation, and those are in constant contact with the food.

Continue to feed the kids and wife; you won't have to worry about their iron deficiency.

#771 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

You don't have the word beware in America?

Only in certain contexts.

#778 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

There is simply no excuse for the thing to be rusting like that. It's not as if the manufacturer doesn't know that the inside of the machine is a high humidity environment.

I don't think they care.

Those are the cheapest of the kettle style popcorn poppers out there.

Chinese made, entry level, bla bla bla.....

Do they pop great tasting corn? Yes.

Does the cart-stand cost more than the popper? Yes, lol.

#783 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Ugh.... Accidentally left my Gold Medal kettle heater on for 4 hours during poker night!
    *crossing fingers* I can get it cleaned up.

As long as the element still heats up, it's still all good.

No one is ever going to look inside your kettle and say "Dude, did you leave this thing on or what?".

Scrub out any Carbon flakes and put it back to work.

#787 8 years ago

The cart has that kitchy look to it, so you love it or you hate it.

It does let you keep your oil and kernels handy and out of sight.

A ton of steam escapes from the popper, so don't put it near your Madonna posters or it may wrinkle them over time.

superman-iii.jpgsuperman-iii.jpg

1 week later
    #800 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

and have told me it will take quite a while to get.

Yep, it's coming all the way from China; in a Container, with their next shipment of poppers.

Personally, I would not even bother swapping it out.

Just put it aside and in about 10 years when the old one rusts all the way through, then install it.

3 weeks later
    #818 8 years ago

4oz popper is too small, really.

You can always pop 4oz in an 8oz popper, but you can't pop 8oz in a 4oz popper.

#828 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

My new shell arrived today. Basically the company sent me another identical unit minus the kettle. Oh, and kernel tray - wtf? So now I have two popcorn machines or at least a shell of one. So do I take the one machine apart and try to coat the parts that rusted up last time?
    I should just send the other unit back to them.

Just buy another kettle and now you have 2 machines.

I'd use the first machine until the roof rusts all the way through. Then after about 15 years, use the new roof as a template to cut another out of stainless steel sheet.

1 week later
    #849 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

How can we fairly pick and choose?

In honor of JDubbs (God rest his soul), I say we raise this thread out of the basement.

#853 8 years ago

Basement posts are not on my main page on my phone.

1 month later
    #874 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I don't think what they had when I was there was Pop Weaver brand. I buy a number of things there throughout the year. I just hadn't ever seen, or maybe noticed the popcorn kits before.

The GFCs I've seen have Vogel popcorn kits in 24 packs.

They taste good, but you can make the same thing for 1/20 of the price by buying your own Flavorcal, Coconut Oil and Kernels.

#882 8 years ago
    Quoted from rwarren28806:

It didn't take long to figure out that bag goes a LONG WAY and keeping the corn fresh is really important. So I am now buying smaller bags to keep it fresh.

The 50 pound bag is usually the same price as the 20 pound, so it makes sense to buy the #50.

Pour the corn into some 5 gallon buckets and stand on the lids to seal them up for storage.

Keep your daily supply in a tupperware.

Never put the corn in the fridge, because the fridge will suck all the moisture out of it.

#886 8 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

My popcorn machine is basically a cooking pot. Pour the kernels in with some Wesson oil, cover and then shake the pot on the stove until the popping stops. Pour the popcorn into a bowl and add butter(not margarine) and salt. Pretty simple.

Switch to Coconut oil if you want it to come out less greasy.

#890 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

but what's your preferred source for oil (sticks?) and corn?

Find your local "concession sales" and buy a gallon of "Red Coconut Oil" and #50 large yellow corn.

#898 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

My problem with the gallon containers is after the first inch is gone, I have to reach further and further into the container and get oil all over my hand scooping it out. What do you guys do, transfer it to a smaller jar as you use it? Use an extendable scooper? Im sure I am missing an embarrassing ly simple fix for this....

I just use a wooden spoon.

Coconut oil turns into a liquid on a hot day, so you can always pour it into a margarine tub.

#901 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

IIRC, 75°F is the point where it liquifies. You can take the gallon jugs that it comes in from some vendors (Detroit Popcorn Co. for example) and warm up by placing in a large pot/kitchen sink with hot tap water to pour out into quart or pint jars.

Take the jug into the shower with you and watch your wife's reaction.....

4 weeks later
    #904 8 years ago

Try 1tsp and see how you like it.

Put it in the coconut oil, don't put it directly on the corn.

#910 8 years ago

I think the "Better Butter" tastes better than regular Flavacol, but try 'em both and decide for yourself.

Cheap risk for $4

GMP2019_(resized).jpgGMP2019_(resized).jpg

#917 8 years ago

The amount of oil is not critical enough to even worry about.

Scoop it up in a measuring spoon and scrape it into the kettle.

A little over or under will not matter, it will pop.

You see the kids at the theater making the popcorn, they are not carefully measuring it.

(The really nice machines draw up and measure their own oil)

#921 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Well, I do now have the ability to create perfect 2oz oil bars.

Those are nice looking bars!

#923 8 years ago

Just use the Save N Seal to seal 'em up.

They don't actually need refrigeration.

Kenmore_Elite_Seal-N-Save_Vacuum_Sealer0p7Detail_(resized).jpgKenmore_Elite_Seal-N-Save_Vacuum_Sealer0p7Detail_(resized).jpg

4 weeks later
    #925 8 years ago

A lot of 'mom&pop' bars have those Lincoln Poppers.

Not commercial duty, but they seem to hold up to nightly use.

#931 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Has anyone found a better scoop.

The back end of the scoop is like a funnel to put the popcorn into bags/cones.

Watch at the movie theater to get an idea why it's shaped that way.

1 week later
    #936 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

The light bulb in the popper (Great Northern) is it a special bulb? Mine went out.

It's probably a R30 reflector bulb 60W - common bulb at any hardware store.

Unscrew it and the watts are printed on it somewhere.

#939 7 years ago

Freethinkers unite!

nikola_(resized).jpgnikola_(resized).jpg

#944 7 years ago

Throw the unpopped kernels out to the birds.

Even if you soak them in water to re-hydrate them, they pop into a turd.

#946 7 years ago

It takes a long time to pop a decent amount in a 4oz popper.

Having a big machine is great.

I always bring a garbage bag full of popcorn to Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter and everyone goes crazy "OMG, I love REAL theater popcorn!!!!".

They cry like bitches when I forget. I have to laugh because there are lots of delicious appetizers that took hours to prepare sitting around and everyone wants chemical popcorn.

48oz_popper_(resized).jpg48oz_popper_(resized).jpg

#952 7 years ago

You can get those bulbs for $2-3 at any real hardware store.

They are nothing exotic. Just plain incandescent bulbs with the reflector neck.

They are .99 cents at Adoramma

http://www.adorama.com/sp150ml.html

#955 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

said the bulb I brought in was being discontinued due to new laws.

All normal incandescent bulbs will be phased out due to laws in 2012.

Specialty bulbs are exempt, otherwise your kitchen oven, lava lamp, photography lights, stage lights and popcorn machine would be obvious victims.

#964 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Then use a food scoop

That's a perfect scoop!

If you like that AMC or MJR style "butter" hot topping, you can get the Odell's Super-Kist NT at Amazon too:

http://www.amazon.com/ODells-Popcorn-Supur-Kist-Topping-Non-Trans/dp/B002YLNUL4/ref=lp_6479153011_1_1

It tastes more buttery than real butter, without greasy or soggy feeling kernels. No trans fat, so your heart will thank you....

Don't buy the popcorn kernels or Flavorcol at Amazon, it's 3x the price of any local concession store.

#967 7 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

dumb question,i am using the great northern pre packs currently. Why is my popcorn mostly white, and not yellow like at the gas station, k-mart, the theater. etc... Is it the flavorcal in the packs?

2 things.

The popping oil AND the Flavacol both have yellow color to them.

That is why you buy "red" coconut oil, and not the white kind. The red color is beta carotene that they add to the oil (you get your daily dose of anti-oxidants while you snack) .

Same thing with the popcorn oil that stays liquid at room temperature. It is a blend of coconut oil, corn oil, butter flavor and beta carotene.

ef2441362429756752_(resized).jpgef2441362429756752_(resized).jpg

1 week later
    #971 7 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

I love this vid. just wish i had a slovak translator.
    » YouTube video

Note to self: Do NOT pour oil onto a fire hoping to extinguish it.

#973 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Fire Sale: half-price popcorn.

It's so odd that there is a metal scoop in both of those popcorn machines, yet she does not just shovel out the burning corn onto the concrete pavers and let it burn out.

#976 7 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I think we have all been in a situation where we did something , or didn't due to the "panic" of the situation. And later thought well why the hell didn't i just do X.

I'm the same way in a heated argument.

My instant response is to hit someone in the jaw.

Then latter I regret it, thinking that all the shouting may have been a bluff and it might have just blown over.

But in the heat of it, my reptilian brain just takes over "first to strike, wins the fight".

In any other emergency situation I can usually react clear headed. Everyone has some sort of brain flaw, and that's mine for sure.

#978 7 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Unfortunately, she got call from her daughter that she needed to take instead dealing with the fire....
    But seriously:
    1. Maybe carry a fire extinguisher?
    2. I hope she at least turned off the propane tank sitting next to it.
    3. She WAS an old lady, WTF with someone else (more helpful) not coming to her aid (vs watching it unfold)
    Sadly, that could very likely have been her only source of income.... just as likely not insured.
    Bummer.
    PS, I have seen this stuff work wonders....

The fire burned long enough that I suspect that the stir motor, the bulb sockets, the switches and the associated wiring had to be replaced. Could be all 12VDC stuff on a portable unit.

4 months later
    #1000 7 years ago
    Quoted from scubadiver6:

The only one I'm aware of with the power cord opposite the doors is the 4oz unit from Paragon.... (I was told they actually designed the unit to sit on a counter....) Nice popper, but I want one bigger...

The Lincoln Popper has a cord on the rear side.

You could drill a hole in the back if you wanted to move the cord to the rear panel.

81cvPljlxFL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg81cvPljlxFL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #1008 7 years ago
    Quoted from MnHotRod:

Has anyone had rust issues on the interior ceiling of the Great Northern popcorn machines? Having read about rust issues, I'm hesitant to buy any of the models.

If you look at any bar that has a Great Northern machine, you will see some corrosion on the ceiling of the machine.

It seems they use galvanized metal, rather than stainless; just in that one location.

The ceiling panel simply unscrews, so you could paint it with BBQ Paint if you want to avoid any corrosion.

Or just ignore the corrosion. It's not going to hurt anything. By the time it corrodes enough to matter, you will probably need a new stir motor or kettle heating element anyway.

The black 8oz. Great Northerns are sometimes $119 on Amazon, so for the price of a single pinball ramp, don't sweat it.

#1014 7 years ago

It's not going to get hotter.

The cutoff thermostat in a popcorn machine is set at 420*F .

#1018 7 years ago

So the increased wattage heats it up faster?

For home use, you might never notice if it heats up a little faster.

Some models give the "kettle element" wattage, and some give the entire machine wattage (bulb, deck heater, motor, kettle), just to make it harder to compare.

-

Put the oil in, when it smokes, add the kernels.

Don't put the kernels into cold oil. You want to pop the corn, not slow roast it.

Once the first batch is popped, any further batches can be the kernels and oil at the same time because the kettle is already at full temp.

#1021 7 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Yep. I still maintain its one of the best threads on pinside!

All the credit goes to Jdubbs, may he RIP

5 months later
    #1039 7 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I have had this popcorn machine for a couple of years. It always worked great but now after a few batches, the rotating piece that stirs the popcorn stops spinning. I took it apart and there is a motor in there. I figured I would replace the motor but then found out it costs about $300. Any other suggestions I could try before purchasing that motor? It is star manufacturing model #89D

Take one lead off the motor and measure if the coil is open.

The switch tends to fail more often than the motor itself.

Any motor rewinding shop can rewind a shaded-pole motor for > $50

or

Take the motor itself, without the gearbox, from any pellet-stove auger assembly $40

or

Just rewind the coil yourself $5.

or

Just buy a high torque, low RPM AC gear motor assembly from ebay for $50

s-l5200 (resized).jpgs-l5200 (resized).jpg

#1043 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Does anyone know how hard it is to pull the top? I haven't looked at removal, but I know mine is starting to rust as well.

There are 8 or so screws on the roof, then a panel comes off showing the motor, and lamp socket.

Then unscrew the black edging from the corners.

#1045 7 years ago

A Great Northern popcorn machine is a great $119 popper.

It is not meant for commercial duty, although you see them in every neighborhood pub behind the bar.

Getting a real commercial popper rocks for sure; but as above, when the stirrer motor needs replacing it's $350, or the 16oz kettle $800.

Also be aware that many commercial poppers need 240v so you have to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

2973edn-500x500 (resized).jpg2973edn-500x500 (resized).jpg

#1047 7 years ago

OMG that's a funny picture.

Because it's mostly stainless steel, it's probably OK, but if the motor in the roof is wet, that's a $350 mistake putting it in the snow.

Switches $5 each, lamp socket $4, needle bearing $12, but that motor $$$$$$$

3 weeks later
    #1060 7 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I assumed the need for 'high temperature' terminals and they were only available in packs of 50 on Amazon. Checked a few local places and didn't find any. I did try to reuse the old terminal but no amount of prying, dremeling, or drilling helped. That factory crimp was designed to be permanent

Your local Fastenal should have them in stock @$1 each.

#1063 6 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Any ideas on this one? Anyone use the Paramount? I am aware of the possible rust issue as it is a great northern.
    ebay.com link » Paramount 8oz Popcorn Maker Machine Cart New Upgraded 8 Oz Popper Black
    I was thinking of occasional use during small get gatherings. Looks like it may be a new system to easily remove the kettle which could make cleaning the kettle a bit easier.

Looks like the kettle lifts out the same way as any other popper.

Remember, you don't really **clean** the kettle. You just wipe out the crud once in a while with a dry paper towel. If you actually clean it, you have to re-season it, and the first few batches will taste like crap.

The Amazon reviews all said the roof rusted, so plan on it.

The LED lights would be fun next to a LOTR pin where somebody clownpuked the whole playfield red or green.

#1065 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Detroit Popcorn Company (Detroit area Gold Medal distributor) recommends using a terrycloth or microfiber towel to wipe out the kettle and to reuse the towel.

That's fancy!

#1067 6 years ago

Or use the roof sheet as a template and make a new one from stainless (since it's a roof, get a damaged sheet cheap).

Even the rusty one will outlast the rest of the machine

#1075 6 years ago

Here is a worse-case example of a Great Northern 8oz that I repaired for a local pub while servicing their pins.

The date on the motor is 2010, so this thing has probably been in nightly service for 6 years.

You can see plenty of salt encrusted surface rust on the roof of the machine.

From the inside, you can see that the only rust is around the alternative motor mount holes punched in the roof.

I'm guessing that the reason that the roof has not rusted through is the fact that the roof metal is galvanized.

It may take another decade for all the galvanizing to wear off and the base steel to rust through.

=

So if one of these $99 junkers can run in a commercial environment, popping multiple batches night after night, it's going to be fine for most home users that will probably use it once a week.

IMG_20170427_215431242[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20170427_215431242[1] (resized).jpg

great northern (resized).jpggreat northern (resized).jpg

#1080 6 years ago

Going to a real popcorn vendor like MrBally says, will save you $$$$$$

Don't buy those little packet kits of popcorn.

Get a gallon of Red Coconut Oil.

Get 50# bag of giant popping corn

Get a carton of Flavorcol.

Get a gallon of Supur-Kist II butter topping

#1084 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Screw Supur-Kist II. Might as well put floor wax in the popcorn.

Try Ghee...you will NEVER go back.

I posted about using Ghee 3 years ago in post #31

But, to be honest, my mates and I eat many 16oz batches of popcorn every week and lately, EVERYONE prefers the SupurKist.

It's lighter, and "more buttery than real butter".

All of the MJR theaters have switched over to it, so if you are obsessed with their $16 gourmet popcorn - their exact formula is: O'dells Classic Blend popping oil, Flavorcol Better Butter, topped with SupurKist2

The last party I had, it was 4 to 1 SupurKist vs Ghee

#1088 6 years ago

How do you put it on? Spray bottle? Condiment bottle? What's the shelf life like? I see Amazon has it in 1g jugs.

A homeowner would probably just heat up 6oz in the microwave.

A concession stand pumps it out hot from a dispenser.

Just like 50lb popcorn, it's way cheaper to buy it at a concession dealer than from Amazon.

It last about a year - but it's so cheap, if it gets too old, you can just pour it on your dog's food and it will make his coat nice.

#1091 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Well, you have my heartfelt apologies, Vid. I should have known the master would have known about ghee!

I love Ghee!

I always have some in the house.

Go to an MJR theater, if you fall in love with the $16 popcorn, try the SupurKist at home.

If you think it tastes like a chemical bath, stick with the real thing.

#1094 6 years ago

Think of Ghee as butter that does not go bad leaving it out all the time (like butter would in the summer).

It's never hard like a stick of butter (unless a houseguest puts it in the fridge), so it's always ready to spread.

#1096 6 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Vid turning into part time Ghee pitchman

Full-time.

Eat it everyday.

dalda_cooking_oil (resized).jpgdalda_cooking_oil (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1100 6 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Hey All,
    I just picked up a Great Nothern 6005 from Amazon. Opened it up and they are now installing a polished stainless panel at the ceiling area, at least the one that arrived at my place had it installed.

It probably cost them $1 to avoid all the rusty roof complaints on Amazon.

Very cool, I wonder if they sell those as a replacement part yet?

1 month later
    #1103 6 years ago

Amazon has these commercial shaved ice machines on sale for $149 (usually $210)

Nothing beats real shaved ice (snow cones for you FL people) with the syrup or schnapps of your choice

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Ice-Cub-Shaver/dp/B003XMH9AG/156-5855877-4231705

#1107 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

I might be buying a popper tonight for my wife for her birthday. Would a 4 oz popper pop enough popcorn to fill one of the large buckets of popcorn that you see at theaters in the USA? Or would that be more of the 6oz popper size? Just trying to get a grasp on 4 oz vs 6 oz?

You can always pop a smaller batch in a larger popper.

If you guys both love popcorn, you probably want an 8oz.

8oz will fill a large bucket exactly, if you are using XLG kernels.

#1109 6 years ago

Remember, popcorn kernels are sold by WEIGHT, but the popped corn is sold by VOLUME.

So you always want to buy the XLG kernels (unless you are making Kettle Corn or Carmel Corn).

#1111 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Thanks! 4 oz is out then. I'll look at the 8 oz and 6 oz, but shoot for the 8 oz if it is reasonable.

If you want an inexpensive one, that is super easy to service, then get the Lincoln Popper 8oz.

That's the black one you see in every neighborhood bar.

The latest batch now has a Stainless Steel roof panel, so no more rusty panel.

It goes on sale all the time on Amazon for $119, but is normally around $160 .

Three 8oz batches will usually be enough for 6 or so people who come to play pinball.

-

Then go to the local concession supply house and get this exactly :

1 gallon of Red Coconut Oil $22

#50 XLG Golden Popcorn Kernels $20

35oz Flavacol Popcorn Seasoning $4

Unless you make popcorn every single night, this will last you all year.

#1122 6 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Vid, what's the best way to keep the 50lb of corn from going stale?

Get one of those 5 gallon buckets with the O-ring in the lid at Menards.

They are made of food grade plastic, and if you can store paint in them, you know they are air-tight.

Keep a tupperware of kernels so you don't have to mess with the heavy bucket every time.

Quoted from Insane:

The popcorn seems tough.

Tough popcorn "can" be from stale kernels, but more often than not, it's because the corn is made wrong.

Heat the oil up FIRST, then add the kernels. Never add the oil and kernels at the same time.

Do NOT slow-roast your kernels by bringing the oil and kernels up to temp at the same time!

Quoted from Insane:

I just don't want it to go stale.

Sealed in your O-ring bucket, the kernels are better sealed than the Kraft bag they come in.

If you kernels last a year, and then the last few cups go stale, just throw them out to the birds. I'm not kidding. $20 for 50 lbs.

You would pay $4 for a pound of tiny kernels at the grocery store.

#1125 6 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

The "seems tough" is not just stale popcorn. It's the size of the kernels. The bigger the kernel the tougher it tastes/chews.

This is not true.

Every theater buys the LARGEST kernels available, because it makes them the most money (popcorn kernels are sold by WEIGHT, but the popped corn is sold by VOLUME. The larger the kernel, the more money you make because it costs less to fill the bucket).

The XLG kernel popcorn at the theater is never tough, is it?

-

Things that make popcorn tough:

1. Adding the oil and the kernels at the same time.

2. Mushroom Popcorn - this popcorn is supposed to be tough, so you can coat it with Carmel or Kettle Corn mix without it getting broken. People buy this by accident all the time.

3. Using cheap "popping oil" rather than real Coconut Oil.

4. Not leaving both the warming light AND the deck warmer on after the corn is popped.

5. Using real butter rather than Clarified or Ghee butter.

5. Old corn that has lost it's moisture, thus does not pop to it's full size

Quoted from joemagiera:

The big kernels don't pop bigger popcorn, they pop popcorn with bigger husks, making for chewier popcorn. YUCK! Buy small kernel popcorn! Trust me.

Again, this is simply not true.

Big Kernels are exactly what is used by every theater and professional concession vendor.

Big kernels make big popped corn

Look at the difference between Giant Yellow, Large White and standard grocery store popcorn:

popcorn 3 bunch sizes on blue (resized).jpgpopcorn 3 bunch sizes on blue (resized).jpgpopcorn 3 individual sizes on blue2 (resized).jpgpopcorn 3 individual sizes on blue2 (resized).jpg

I've installed 100s of popcorn machines over the years in theaters, restaurants, and fairgrounds. The larger the kernel, the lighter and fluffier the corn.

#1126 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

If I bought a 50 LB bag I think it would last 5 years. You guys are serious popcorn eaters!

If you make a couple of 8oz batches a week, it lasts **about** a year.

6 to 8 guys will eat 3 batches while playing an evening of pinball.

Then if you figure that once everyone knows you have a real popcorn machine, you are EXPECTED to bring a giant bag to Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Bachelor Parties....

You can plant it in your garden, and it grows into really big ears of corn....

#1130 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I have a paragon 4oz. It works really well, but I do get quite a few unpopped kernels

Totally normal.

The only way to get no unpopped kernels is to soak them in water like Orville Redinbocker does.

The unpopped ones fall into the 'old maid' tray, and you throw them to the birds.

Again, at $20 for 50 lbs, we can't worry about them.

and my coconut oil smokes quite a bit while warming.

Usually when it smokes, its hot enough for kernels.

#1136 6 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I do heat my oil first, and I have been using Great Northern prepacks, I got a good price on a case when I bought my machine.

Excellent.

Quoted from Insane:

The other think I do find is if I leave the deck warmer on too long without stirring the corn, it will burn in one spot. not sure if the heater bar is too close to the deck in that spot or what.

Sounds the heater is touching the deck.

Take the old maid drawer out, and see if you see this with a flashlight.

Unplug it before trying to move the heating element (wooden yardstick?)

If you cant reach it, take the bottom panel off and pull it back.

Post pics if you need help, of course.

#1140 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

What do you recommend for spreading the Ghee onto the popcorn for single batches.

Just heat it up in the microwave in a glass measuring cup.

Fill the bowl 1/2 with popcorn, drizzle Ghee, toss, fill the rest of the corn, drizzle rest of Ghee.

Ghee does not have to be refrigerated, so you can just wipe out the cup with a paper towel.

If you've got a big machine, the warming deck will keep the Ghee melted for the next batch.

1 month later
    #1160 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I checked my popper with a laser thermometer after ten minutes and was surprised it was only 300F. Is this hot enough? I put a single kernel in and it does not pop instantly, but does pop after 30-60 seconds. Doesn't get any hotter beyond 300.
    It's a great northern Princeton popper. Never been completely satisfied with the popcorn it makes... seems spongy and not quite right.
    Any advice?

You need to adjust your thermostat that is under the kettle.

Take the screws off the top of the kettle, and that will separate the 2 halves.

Braised to the bottom of the inner kettle should be the heating element, and the thermostat mounted to a stud.

Put the kettle in a vise so it does not touch anything flammable while you adjust it.

Turn the thermostat adjustment screw CCW to raise the temp.

A full turn is over 150ºF, so go slowly.

I don't have the service manual in front of me, but I would guess that the Kettle should be set @ 410ºF to 420ºF .

ed701cd90bf81dd857cc44e99ca3fa34f96bae37 (resized).jpged701cd90bf81dd857cc44e99ca3fa34f96bae37 (resized).jpg

#1162 6 years ago

My dog doesn't eat popcorn. He gums it up and spits it out. What a dick.

Strange, my dog eats popcorn, but gums my dick.

#1165 6 years ago
    Quoted from PAPinballer:

Is it possible to pop any amount like 2 oz instead of 4 or 8 oz in an 8 oz machine? I know that Great American says that you can pop 4 oz in the 8 oz machine but there's no mention of going even smaller. I'm concerned that 4 oz might be too much so I'd like the flexibility in popping smaller amounts.

You can always pop less, you just don't have the BTUs to pop more.

#1171 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Can't figure out how to dial in these two thermostats. I did find a combination that made the temp go down, but the reverse didnt make it go up.
    I saw some YouTube video that said the color of the rings affects which way you adjust, but still don't know why there's two and what each is for.
    Any ideas? Guess I'll try calling GNPC Monday.

One **thermostat** is the High Limit Switch. That is usually permanently set @ 525*F to keep the whole machine from melting down if the other fails.

The other is the actual thermostat that you adjust.

2 months later
    #1176 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

and tbh, consuming something called Flavacol just seems like a giant no-no

When in doubt, always check if something is Halal or Kosher.

$_3 (resized).JPG$_3 (resized).JPG

#1186 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

The only problem I have is space. Too big to fit on a countertop, but not sure I have the floor space to fit it in the basement. We might be doing a rearrangement to fit more pins in the basement, but I'll be sure to make room for this thing. You guys suck.

Put it in the garage, furnace or laundry room.

1 month later
    #1203 6 years ago

That better be some great tasting Popcorn, cuz 3lbs of Sprouted is the same price as 50lbs of Extra Large Yellow.

#1204 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aladdin:

I've got a line out on a Star MFG 39R-A model.
    Any good?

Star makes great quality poppers.

Make sure it ALL works, because you won't like the cost of replacement parts for it.....

#1207 6 years ago
    Quoted from Higloss67:

What are the main causes for the popcorn to turn out chewy? I use coconut oil and fresh popcorn. It helps a bit when it sits on the heater for a while, but I can’t quite get the movie theatre crispness

Let the oil get hotter before you put the kernels in.

#1209 6 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Used to be chewy for me until I did the opposite. Cold oil, problem solved.

That's certainly not how movie theaters do it, but if it works for you, excellent.....

1 week later
    #1215 6 years ago
    Quoted from krunch:

This is my popcorn popper. It has a small steam engine that stirs the popcorn and turns the peanut roaster.
    It is heated by propane and was originally fire by naptha supplied by the tank above.

I love it!

Is there a guard that keeps kids from getting their fingers chopped off by the Flywheel ?

1 month later
    #1229 6 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Can i put the flavacol in this popcorn kettle? Or is it better to add it after popping

Always put the Flavacol in the oil, never sprinkle it on top of already popped corn.

Quoted from jorro:

I used arachide peanut oil and it pops pretty good for a small machine.

Try switching to Coconut oil next time you run out, it has a cleaner taste on popcorn.

#1231 6 years ago

8oz Corn

1 heaping TBS (that's the larger of the 2 little measuring spoons that come with it) Coconut Oil
    (the exact amount depends on diameter of the kettle - usually it's printed on the door, some really big kettles use 2oz oil per cup of corn)

1/2 tsp (that's the smaller of the measuring spoons) of Flavacol

-

If you like that super salty bar popcorn, they use 1tsp per 8oz of corn.

9 months later
    #1248 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I accidentally left my popcorn maker on for about two hours after I popped a batch the other night. Now there is a charred caked on residue covering the entire bottom of the pot. What is the best way to clean this?

We once installed a new machine and the pub owner gave us the **ruined** one to dispose of.

CarbonOff would not touch the burned on whatever it was (plastic bag?), so I had to sandblast it back to bare metal.

Sold it for $500 at the church garage sale

#1252 5 years ago
    Quoted from evh347:

Takes about 25 minutes to clean. To clean the kettle, I use 1 Tbsp of kettle cleaner with 2 cups of water. Turn the heat on until it just starts to boil, let cool, then rinse under water.

NEVER clean the kettle.

(unless something burns it black).

It takes about 10 batches to **season** the kettle for best taste; if you clean it, you have to start all over again.

Once every few batches, wipe out the kettle with a dry paper towel. That's it.

#1253 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grateful_Pin:

Maybe I should be cleaning it more????

Hell no.

Theaters just wipe them out with a dry paper towel.

#1261 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I can attest to this. My popcorn definitely started tasting better the more I used the popper. That's why I'm kind of bummed I had to clean it. Now I have to start all over.

Pop a bunch and take it to thanksgiving

I have to do that every year, or get yelled at for forgetting

1 month later
    #1267 5 years ago

How much were those in #50 cans?

It seems weird to have a brand called Butcher Boy and then brag it's "woman owned".

Why not call it Butcher Broad ?

2 weeks later
    #1276 5 years ago
    Quoted from jtreehorn:

Does anyone have make white cheddar popcorn using your machine? If so any good recipes?

Pop the popcorn, add butter, shake in kitchen garbage bag to disperse the butter, then add the powder from "white cheddar shells and cheese" box.

Nothing on earth is better

large_9c5ebc23-955b-454d-a1d3-d6b680fdff50 (resized).jpglarge_9c5ebc23-955b-454d-a1d3-d6b680fdff50 (resized).jpg

#1284 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I'm celebrating National Popcorn Day today. Who's with me?

I celebrate almost daily, but I'm totally with you today.

eebd034270d0a77bf6758652f3ed3aa8 (resized).jpgeebd034270d0a77bf6758652f3ed3aa8 (resized).jpg
    #1294 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

When I realized my mistake I looked up my local concession stand supplier and found Butcher Boy Coconut oil with butter flavoring. It does not say pure coconut oil, but was wondering if it should be used. They do not have a product that says pure coconut oil.

I've seen that in theaters, so it can't be terrible.

It looks like coconut oil with the normal Carotene added so it pops yellow - but it looks like they added **butter** flavor to the oil itself.

Let us know how it tastes!

#1296 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I heard these oil/butter machines are a nightmare to clean, or at least are time consuming to clean every time you use them?

1st:

You don't put any butter in the machine.

You only put oil and salt in the kettle - that's it.

2nd:

You NEVER clean the kettle.

It gets seasoned like a cast iron pan or BBQ grill - and you don't want to ever clean that seasoned surface off.

There is an "old maids" drawer that catches any unpopped or under popped kernels. You empty this every 5 or so pops.

#1298 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Sorry not actual butter hah. I really meant just the oil or whatever oil you use.
    So, you never have to clean the machine at all?

I was just worried that someone would put butter into a 500* kettle and.....yeah.

No, you never clean it.

You might wipe the inside of the machine out once in a while with a dry paper towel, but really that's it.

If you do something crazy like put butter in it, you will have to get some de-carbonizer spray to clean the burnt butter out - then you have to re season the kettle again.

#1301 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

The machine itself. Something like this for example:
    https://www.ht-express.com/Paragon-Theater-Pop-4oz-P19.aspx
    It says easy to clean kettle, so I'm assuming you have to clean the kettle? I just brought this topic up to my wife and she said these machines are time consuming to clean every time you use them.

Don't get a 4oz machine, that's probably too small for any grown man.

An 8oz is probably perfect for most homeowners, it makes one large popcorn bucket at a time.

(of course, you can make 4oz in an 8oz machine; but you probably never will)

This 8oz goes on sale for $119 all the time, you see it in every small pub:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Lincoln-Antique/dp/B000QWCAB4

...and you don't have to clean it!

917Ale6YDHL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg917Ale6YDHL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

They have fixed everyone's biggest complaint about the galvanized roof rusting - now it's made of stainless steel

2b1f9dd0-3a07-4a4a-bc86-f56437367f4b._CR0,0,2000,2000_PT0_SX220__ (resized).jpg2b1f9dd0-3a07-4a4a-bc86-f56437367f4b._CR0,0,2000,2000_PT0_SX220__ (resized).jpg

#1312 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I guess I bought mine too soon, my roof is garbage. I've convinced myself it's not really touching the popcorn. I wonder if they sell the replacement.

It will take a decade to rust all the way through.

I've serviced several at pubs, none have rusted out, just surface rust.

Look how old this one is, still running fine:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/22#post-3738498

#1324 5 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

For joemagiera - I thought all pop corn now was popped somewhere else then brought to the theater in bags? So the people working the counter wouldn't have a clue !

Many theaters just fill the machines with pre-popped popcorn because it's cheaper (and the kids are not burning themselves on the 500* kettle ).

For $18 a bucket, it BETTER be fresh popped!!!!!

#1328 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

If anyone was interested in buying one of the Gold Medal poppers, Sam's Club has them going on sale starting January 30th. $100 off is quite a generous discount.
    I was finally going to pull the trigger on one of the Gold Medal poppers, but after seeing Vid's endorsement of the Lincoln Popper, I'm not so sure. The Gold Medal appears to be of superior quality. But, is the quality worth that much more in price?
    [quoted image]

How much is it though?????

I hate when SC or Costco does not give you any pricing, just $xx off.

They send me coupons, and I just throw them in the trash, because it does not give me the bottom line.

#1333 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

Just to be clear, does it go on sale on Amazon for that price, or do you have to search other sites to find it for that much?
    Amazon currently listing it for $189

Although other "woot" kind of sites have had it for $99, it's way more frequent to see it pop up on Amazon.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/19#post-3113764

#1334 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

As long as they don’t “pull a fast one” and change the base price, cost after the $100 off would be around:
    $242 for the 4oz.
    $369 for the 6oz.
    $472 for the 8oz.

I'm a 'get what you pay for' kind of guy too, but you could buy 4 of those 8oz Lincolns for that price.

Or you could get two 16oz Paramounts, with lifetime warranty.

They sell for $229, not even on sale.
    81Govb1jPyL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg81Govb1jPyL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-16oz-Popcorn-Maker-Machine/dp/B07J6HDCM3/ref=sr_1_8

#1339 5 years ago
    Quoted from SaminVA:

For the last 5 1/2 years I maintained /repaired the video games in the game rooms of 2 local Cinemark Theaters until last June when they sold their in house arcades.
    They pop so much popcorn the oil gets airborne and makes it's way into the arcade games. The cooling fans pulls the air into the cabinet and it collects on the cooling fans and makes a mess. Here is pictures from a Dead Heat driving game. The Time Crisis 4 was even worse. I had a puddle of oil on the floor under the cabinet.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thats insane!

How close was the popcorn machines to the arcade?

Do you think that the pop ventilation system was crossed and somehow dumping steam and oil into the arcade room?

What did the employee's lungs look like? "Doc, that dry cough; it totally disappeared when I started working at Cinemark!"

#1340 5 years ago

I just got an email from XXXXXXXXX asking about a 30oz popper that he is looking at on CL for $250.

I'll answer here so everyone can read my 2 cents:

Most 30oz+ poppers need 220v to function, so that's bumps you up into needing to install a 220v outlet (like a wall air condition needs).

It's not a high amperage outlet like a stove, but it still requires a special breaker, 220v socket and 10g wiring. Make sure your 220v socket matches the popper's plug, there are several styles.

If it was hardwired, it may not have a plug at all, and just unterminated wires encased in BX armor.

It's super useful to be able to make up to 4 large buckets of popcorn at a time, but make sure you know what you are in store for installation wise.

#1345 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

you might want to rethink this. I get where you're coming from because I like to know what the final cost is as well.

I've never gone into a Costco or SC with one of those coupons and got the best price.

Not on harddrives, not on phones, not on routers - nothing.

It's ALWAYS cheaper somewhere else, and no sales tax to boot.

50lb bag of popcorn is $29 at Costco, or $22 at the local concession shop.

2 gallons of milk shrinkwrapped together is $4.19 at Costco, but the hormone-free gallons are $1.47 each at Aldi.

I can't imagine how much you would have to buy to break even on the $60 a year fee to shop there.

#1349 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Well, the items you mentioned obviously don't have MAP so that’s why I just said on certain items. In fact, in my area (Minnesota) I've never actually seen $xx off for any of the small items that you mentioned.

Every month it's a bunch of dumb "dollars off" coupons that are still too much after discount.

Can oil, batteries and Scotch Tape possibly have a MAP price?

Give me the bottom line, or I know it's a scam.
    Layer-10 (resized).jpgLayer-10 (resized).jpg

#1350 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

My Costco membership pays for itself just on the gas savings alone. Both my car and my wife's car require premium gas

I learned my lesson long ago about owning cars that need special fuel.

I can piss into my truck's tank and the amount of remaining alcohol will get me home.

#1352 5 years ago

I think you kind of shot yourself in the foot on that one.
    The Ring 2 doorbell can't be found online for less than $179, so $149 at Costco is a pretty good deal.

It's a half-ass deal, last week's Rakuten sale email had Ring2 for $131 in nickel finish, and again, no sales tax.

The only thing in the whole SC store that I know is a deal is the Atari Flashback 9 @$9.99 right now

#1354 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Wait, what? That is a great deal. I don't have a SC card though.

Buy a card, then ask for a refund 11 months latter at the service desk. They give you a full refund.

Don't forget to get a refund before the card expires.

https://help.samsclub.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2563/~/how-do-i-cancel%2Frefund-my-membership

You don't have to feel guilty about it. They should feel guilty for making you pay money to shop at a store that charges too much for almost everything.

Wait about 6 months and buy another card. The associate will ask "Did you cancel your membership with us before?" Just answer no. It's not like they are going to refuse to sell you another card. rinse-lather-repeat

The flashbacks are in the back where all the clearance stuff is piled up. They had like 50 of them.

#1359 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

I tried cooking with coconut oil a few times and it left a coconut taste. You dont get that taste when cooking popcorn?

You can put a whole spoonful of refined coconut oil in you mouth.

It does not taste like coconuts.

#1360 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

I tried cooking with coconut oil a few times and it left a coconut taste. You dont get that taste when cooking popcorn?

My guess is that you somehow got some "virgin" coconut oil.

You can't pop corn with it, because it scorches at 350*, but it does smell like suntan lotion.

NutivaCoconutOilDifferenceFB_1 (resized).jpgNutivaCoconutOilDifferenceFB_1 (resized).jpg
    #1362 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

rather than going through 28 pages of comments it would be great if someone could just tell me whats the best popcorn machine for your money....dont really have a budget, but want something thats nice, easy to use, and will last a long time....

Hard to tell someone else how to spend their money.....They all pop the same, they all clean up the same, they all taste the same. USA ones are more money and generally have thicker gauge steel.

You also need to decide if you need a modern black one, a red carnival style, or an all stainless cinema style.

The warranty gives you a pretty good idea of how long something is going to last; 6 months all the way up to Lifetime can be found.

8oz is the smallest you should probably buy, it pops one large bucket of popcorn.

-

Cheapest durable machine like you seen in small pubs is the Lincoln ($119 when on sale $179 normally) 5 yr warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Lincoln-Antique/dp/B000QWCAB4

-
    Cheapest 8oz machine when not on sale, probably the Carnival King ($127) 6 month warranty

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/carnival-king-pm850-8-oz-popcorn-machine-popper-120v-850w/382PM850.html

or the 8oz Great Northern ($134) 5 year warranty

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Matinee-Movie/dp/B002Z9GDYG/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_bs_t_1

-

Gold Medal 8oz is popular, but now made in China ($450) 2 year warranty

https://www.katom.com/231-2408120240.html

-
    Benchmark USA 8oz ($520) 3 yr warranty

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/benchmark-usa-11080-street-vendor-8-oz-red-popcorn-machine-120v-1430w/36211080.html

-

16oz Paramount machine (usually the one they rent for parties from the rent-all place) makes 2 large buckets at a time ($229) Lifetime warranty

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-16oz-Popcorn-Maker-Machine/dp/B07HKPDV35/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1

#1367 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

There is currently one of these units for sale on Chicago craigslist. They claim it is brand new, just discounted because it is an open box. $170 for the machine, or $240 with the cart ...
    chicago.craigslist.org link

I wonder if it's a concession business, so you could still get the warranty?

The good thing about these is that most rent-all places rent them .

You could rent one for $25 and try before you buy.

#1368 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Well I have been popping my kettle corn with it. Hell I like the Coconut taste when making the kettle corn. I didn’t know I was using the wrong kind. I bought Kirkland brand organic virgin coconut oil from Costco.

I could totally see coconut kettle corn.....

#1370 5 years ago

I always buy #50 popcorn bags, but I had 2 of these that an associate got me for Xmas.

Super lightweight pop, good color - I'm actually impressed.

If this came in 50 lb bags, I'd buy it for myself.

81zh-2KKjsL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg81zh-2KKjsL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    #1372 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty_K:

Speaking of which, I'm looking to purchase a 50 lb. bag. What would you good folks recommend?

Popcorn is sold to the vendor by weight, but sold to the public by volume.

So get the largest kernel you can.

Only buy from a vendor that turns over TONS of corn a week. Old popcorn does not pop very big, and is often chewy.

Also, don't get "mushroom" unless you are making Kettle or Carmel corn.

Find your local "concession supply" store, and get a 50lb bag for $22.

Don't worry too much about a brand name, the store will tell you what "the" big seller is.

Store it in a 5 gal sealed pail, and fill a tupperware from that.

#1380 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fizz:

Where are people using these machines in the house? I know there can be a lot of steam, smoke, oil etc from these machines, is this ever an issue? I assume not everyone is putting these under a vent hood or anything like that.

The little 8oz machines put out steam like your coffee machine does, so it's not a big deal.

The big units have power venting, and probably should be vented outside.

For instance, I have a little 8oz on a shelf in my kitchen.

I have a monster commercial unit out in my polebarn that I use for parties; it produces way too much steam to run in the house.

#1383 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fizz:

Sounds like it's not too big of a deal, but I'll want to keep it away from my pins.

It wont hurt your pins.

Wait till you see everyone put their buttery fingers all over the flipper buttons, just like at the arcade (that does not hurt the pins either).

1 week later
    #1407 5 years ago

When the oil gets too deep in the glass jar, you can transfer it to open mouth Pyrex storage.

You can scoop it out easily, even as a solid AND you don't get any toxic plastic chemicals into your food.

7503843342_9373f51ccc_b (resized).jpg7503843342_9373f51ccc_b (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #1444 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

My question, how much oil comes in one of the 8oz portion packs? Or to word this another way, how much oil should be used when popping 8oz of kernels?

It kinda depends on the diameter of the kettle, but try 2 tablespoons (that's the bigger one), and see how it comes out.

1 year later
    #1535 3 years ago

Aren't things like the butter dispenser and the nacho cheese dispenser just a huge pain in the butt? I'd think they would have to be set up each time you'd want to use them and then be just a royal pain to clean?

They never clean them at the theater...

4500_detail (resized).jpg4500_detail (resized).jpg
    #1538 3 years ago

That cheese has to go bad after awhile. I'd probably only use it once a week at most.
    I wonder how long it's good for in the bag?

It usually it says that the cheese is good for 4 days at 138°f

There is a use by date on the bag.

1 week later
    #1553 3 years ago

Black popcorn "Pops pure white!"

upside4 (resized).jpgupside4 (resized).jpg
    #1554 3 years ago

Most popcorn flavorings taste like a chemical spill.

I got sent these in a care package, and they are indeed excellent.

https://www.urbanaccents.com/product-category/gourmet-popcorn/

Popped the corn in a cast iron pan, dusted while still hot.

upside3 (resized).jpgupside3 (resized).jpg
    4 months later
    #1571 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Have a quick question. I'm not sure if it can be answered by this pic,
    but here's good of a place to ask as any..
    I picked this machine up maybe 15 years ago. It's still in the box.
    Now that I have the room, I'm thinking about setting it up.
    Maybe it's tough to say still being in the box, but will this machine
    do the trick for the game room (used occasionally), or get a real machine?
    Thanks for any responses..
    [quoted image]

Should be fine.

It's basically the same design as everything else: Kettle, Stirrer, Bin

#1572 2 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I know by me, Gordons Food Service carries bulk stuff. Haven't tried it.

Check the date on those bags.

The GFS that I looked at had expired and one month from being expired bags.

It takes about a year to eat the entire 50# bag, so.....

Every city has a Concession Supply joint, they only charge ~$20 for a 50# bag of golden giant

A few supply houses will ask if you have an account, just say "its for our church, Our Lady of the Lake". The guy won't find it on the computer, and you just tell him you'll pay cash then.

church-picture (resized).jpegchurch-picture (resized).jpeg
    7 months later
    #1588 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Picked up a fun toy this weekend. I have my hands full for sure. Full of 60 year old congealed oil. Going to love restoring this guy.
    [quoted image]

Should be an easy restore....

Screenshot 2022-02-07 at 14-27-28 JOHN DEERE GREEN AG TURF GALLON PAINT PART NUMBER TY25656 eBay (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-02-07 at 14-27-28 JOHN DEERE GREEN AG TURF GALLON PAINT PART NUMBER TY25656 eBay (resized).pngs-lx 1600 (resized).jpgs-lx 1600 (resized).jpg

#1593 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

God I know right?
    Needless to say I will not keep the original color scheme. However I may go with that color scheme with a slight powder to it. Do more of a green and gold perhaps. Get away from those JD colors.

I'd keep the colors, it's insane!

4 months later
    #1624 1 year ago
    Quoted from WarriorPin:

one of the happier days in my life - when I got rid of our popcorn machine. Total pain in the ass to clean them...

You are not supposed to clean it.

It takes several batches to **season** the kettle. If you clean it, you remove the coating, and have to begin again.

(if this does not make sense, think of a Cast Iron pan - you never clean it)

#1627 1 year ago

Make sure you have kernel less than a year old.

Pour in slowly, with the stirrer on. Make sure the kernels are all being poured into oil, not on top of other kernels

You don't say size of your kettle, it could be a 6oz and you don't have enough BTU

Add another spoon of oil, if all else fails

3 months later
    #1642 1 year ago

Mushroom popcorn is grown for making coated popcorn (like Carmel corn)

It's chewier than normal corn so it's only sold in concession supply stores that also sell the candy coatings.

Obviously, it has to be tougher to survive the tumbling process while being coated

Movie theaters use Giant Yellow kernels

=

(google "concession supply near me" ) Some shops don't want the headache of dealing with the public, so just say you are from a church. Nobody says no to a church, lol.

#1649 1 year ago

Mushroom Popcorn does not have the little wings on it, because those would break off during the tumbling to coat it with goop

Popcorn-County-USA-Mushroom-Popcorn-Bulk-and-Export-768x767-1781626577 (resized).jpgPopcorn-County-USA-Mushroom-Popcorn-Bulk-and-Export-768x767-1781626577 (resized).jpgmushroom-popcorn-scaled-2112758939 (resized).jpgmushroom-popcorn-scaled-2112758939 (resized).jpg
    #1651 1 year ago
    150001-02_tastebuds-blueberry-blue-candy-coated-popcorn-1-gallon-bag-612278158 (resized).jpg150001-02_tastebuds-blueberry-blue-candy-coated-popcorn-1-gallon-bag-612278158 (resized).jpgth-4231249100 (resized).jpgth-4231249100 (resized).jpg
    3 months later
    #1666 1 year ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

I'm in the club! Is there a best place to buy supplies from? [quoted image]

Yep, Google your local "concession supply" in your area. There will be a dozen.

Get a 50 pound bag of their largest kernel corn (not mushroom kernel, that's for coated popcorn)

One gallon of "Red Coconut oil" (it will be solid at room temperature)

35 oz carton of Flavacol powder

All this will cost 1/2 of what it is on Amazon.
    -

90% of places will gladly sell to anyone off the street, but if you get that toothless carney guy that says "We only sell to businesses", just say, "Of course, I'm from Our Lady Of The Lake Church. Father Huckabuck said to pick this stuff up."

I don't know why, but the moment you say you are from a church, your money is always good with the carneys.

#1671 1 year ago
    Quoted from Defender:

I disagree with the "no mushroom popcorn" statement. While Mushroom popcorn is the right thing for coated popcorn (caramel corn, kettle corn), it is also great for regular batches.
    In fact, I usually use about 75% mushroom to 25% butterfly popcorn in each batch. Many taste and texture tests with many guests and mushroom came out on top, with just some butterfly mixed in.

Whatever you like, is the best

No one can argue that

#1672 1 year ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

Thanks for the tip Vid. I ordered this one off Amazon, it was $29. Will give it a try tonight![quoted image]

That's not too bad of a price, as it's up to $21 at the concession supply near me

Since it has a high smoke point, you will like it for searing on the grill too

7 months later
    #1684 6 months ago

It got me wondering what is the optimal kettle temperature for popping.

Commercial machines high limit switches are usually set to cut out at 420*f for salted corn popping.

#1689 6 months ago

So if my machine heats to between 350 and 370 is that too low?

If you are using an infrared thermometer against a shiny chrome surface, it might not be reading correctly.

Aim at a blackened carbon section of the inside kettle (if you have it)

If you are measuring the hot oil itself with a cooking therm, then yes, I'd bump that temp up

#1693 6 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

I'd think that temp would absolutely destroy normal unprocessed oils like plain corn oil

Maybe.

We can only worry about the standard lightweight "coconut oil" that the manufacturer recommends for the machines, right?

If the service manual tells you to set the temp for 385 for 'candy corn flavors' and 420 for normal salted corn, then that's what we want.

Too low a temp leaves a bunch of un-popped kernels, too high a temp burns the kernels.

#1695 6 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

We use unmodified white coconut oil but I guess the standard is some kind of processed oil to take that temp, right?

The oil does not stay at that temp.

You add the oil, it rises up to 400*+

You add the kernels, the temp falls to 325*

As the temp recovers, it surpasses the popping point, and the corn pops (some auto machines turn off the heat before all the kernels pop, because of the heat holdover; and that helps keep the popped corn in the kettle from burning if the employees don't instantly dump it). That's why you can't put 8oz of kernels in a 6oz machine - you dont have enough BTUs to recover before the kernels cook instead of pop.

Virgin coconut oil smells like coconut, refined coconut oil has no smell.

Some corn oils have a high smoke point, but they give you greasy popcorn.

#1697 6 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:Not to skip the required reading but the preferred is processed coconut like the snappy yellow stuff not the virgin white anal lube stuff?

You can use either.

The "red coconut oil" that is solid at room temperature is the classic.

You can get the white, but without the carotene color additive the corn will still be white

Odell and snappy also make blends that are liquid down to 40*

#1701 5 months ago

Just like a grill, you have to "season" the kettle.

After a few batches, all the manufacturing oils will burn away.

Some people do the seasoning outside to avoid the stench

Once seasoned, just wipe occasionally with a paper towel

1 week later
    #1708 5 months ago

The oil has to be screaming hot before adding the corn.

We don't want to slow cook the kernels.

2 months later
    #1732 3 months ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Great Northern Lincoln popper is $129 on woot. Valid for the next 23 days. Free shipping for prime members:
    https://home.woot.com/offers/great-northern-lincoln-8-ounce-antique-popcorn-machine-bar-style-2?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app
    It’s a great deal if you ask me.

That's a great unit that you see in every mom & pop pub.

Easy to service.

2 weeks later
    #1745 81 days ago

Who is ready to stick their body parts into the Dune2 popcorn bucket?
    Does this popcorn seem extra salty to you?Does this popcorn seem extra salty to you?FoxNews is going to be pissed..FoxNews is going to be pissed..

#1746 81 days ago

Endless PossibilitiesEndless Possibilities

#1750 80 days ago

Those Dune worms are everywhere now

Puddles Pity Party - Brain Damage / Eclipse (Pink Floyd Cover)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.