(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1293 5 years ago

Wow, just got through the entire thread (read most, but skimmed a bit). I've been looking into buying a machine for a while, and just pulled the trigger the other day. This is what I bought (Paramount 6oz):
    Popcorn Machine (resized).jpgPopcorn Machine (resized).jpg
    I understand this is not the top of the line, and that it may rust a bit, but has anyone tried this perticular model? If so how did it work?

I purchased this machine and the prepackaged kits before reading this thread. As such, I think I made a mistake with the prepackaged kit as it says soybean oil. Is this no good and should I throw it away when it arrives? Here's a link to the kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00472MN70/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00

When I realized my mistake I looked up my local concession stand supplier and found Butcher Boy Coconut oil with butter flavoring. It does not say pure coconut oil, but was wondering if it should be used. They do not have a product that says pure coconut oil. I'd hate to buy a gallon of the wrong stuff. Picture of the oil below:
    Coconut Oil (resized).jpgCoconut Oil (resized).jpg

#1304 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've seen that in theaters, so it can't be terrible.
    It looks like coconut oil with the normal Carotene added so it pops yellow - but it looks like they added **butter** flavor to the oil itself.
    Let us know how it tastes!

Will do.

#1317 5 years ago

I tried the butcher boy coconut oil with butter without flavacol for a base test. Color was great corn had good consistency, but it was a little bland. I had to put some salt on it.

Next batch I mixed 3/4 cup corn 4-5 TBLSPOONS of oil 1 teaspoon of better butter flavacol and it turned out great. I don’t have anything to compare this too, as it has been a very long time since I made popcorn this way, but it tasted great.

3 weeks later
    #1424 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I'm shopping for bulk popcorn supplies there doesnt seem to be a concession distro near me.
    What oil should I get in 5 gal buckets?
    Webstaurant.com has white corn at good price for 50lb bags of corn.
    There's a lot to choose from.
    Yellow oil?
    Butter flavored lou-ana pail?
    White coconut oil?
    The kit packs are nice but kinda spendy since I give it away for free.
    I'm making about 5 cups a day.
    Shipping looks like it's pretty high too.

I've purchased the butcher boy coconut oil with butter flavoring, which is an orange color and comes in a one gallon container. 5 gallons seems like a lot of oil that would last you many years.

My guess is the oil I have is very similar to this oil from webstaurant, but I am not positive as I've never used this oil before.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/paragon-1015-coconut-popcorn-oil-1-gallon/3801015.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInZ_Yt_3P4AIVi0sNCh3WawZdEAQYASABEgL7UfD_BwE

#1429 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

For the moment while is popular, Im giving away 200-250 batches a month.
    Popcorn kits are about 75 cents each.
    Im trying to order in bulk to get the price down lower.

Never mind, that is a lot of popcorn. I would go with yellow coconut oil with or without butter flavor. I have the butter flavor and like it, but I have not tried the without so I can't compare. It looks like the only options through Webstaurant is LouAna brand.

4 years later
    #1714 4 months ago

I scoop the oil into the kettle, then add flavacol, then 2-3 kernels. Once those pop I add the rest of the kernels. Once the popping slows down I dump them out and mix up the batch.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=monk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.