(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#887 8 years ago

KETTLE CORN!!!

2 months later
    #965 7 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-6210-POPHEAVEN/dp/B006BCK91G/ref=sr_1_7

This is the one I am eyeing

Quoted from gweempose:

The Lincoln popper at $120 was a much better deal. It's a slightly larger machine with a higher wattage kettle (860 vs. 640).

3 months later
    #991 7 years ago

Here is that great machine with the cart if anyone is interested at a great price $259.95 for blue or $239.95 for red

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YOZQVS/ref=dra_a_rv_mr_hn_xx_P1400_1000

#994 7 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-6210-POPHEAVEN/dp/B006BCK91G/ref=sr_1_7

I really like the look of this machine...What do you guys think of the quality of this popper? Is it a good one?

#997 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I've always thought that one looks cool as well. I almost bought it, but I decided I didn't need that large of a kettle. I would imagine it's the same quality as all the other Great Northern poppers. For light to medium use, it should be more than sufficient. If you plan on using it all the time, it might make sense to invest in a better machine from a company like Gold Medal, Cretors or Paragon. Of course, they will be substantially more expensive unless you find a good deal on a used one.

It would definitely be for light to medium use....maybe it would get a workout on Halloween

#998 7 years ago
    Quoted from dragdaily12:

I have the Sam's Club popcorn machine and it works great

haven't seen this one. No Sams club near me...Costco is our box store.

7 months later
    #1086 6 years ago

A cheaper option is picking up Ghee at Trader Joe's...only $3.99

IMG_1883 (resized).JPGIMG_1883 (resized).JPG

#1093 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I love Ghee!
    I always have some in the house.
    Go to an MJR theater, if you fall in love with the $16 popcorn, try the SupurKist at home.
    If you think it tastes like a chemical bath, stick with the real thing.

What other things do you use Ghee on?

2 weeks later
    #1101 6 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Hey All,
    I just picked up a Great Nothern 6005 from Amazon. Opened it up and they are now installing a polished stainless panel at the ceiling area, at least the one that arrived at my place had it installed.

Did you get. The cart with it?

1 month later
    #1105 6 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Shows $217 for me. I order so much stuff on Amazon it would not be a shock if I am offered 'sucker' pricing on everything

It was showing $217 for me as well two hours after Vids post. Probably sold quick at that price.

Our family bought this little one years ago which surprisingly makes fantastic shaved ice out of ice cubes. We enjoy it because it shaves ice well without leaving big chips of ice in your bowl. Works great for birthday parties!

https://www.amazon.com/Treats-Avalanche-Electric-VICTORIO-VKP1100/dp/B002S0G0RW/ref=sr_1_17

#1114 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Things must have changed. No package deals to offer me. They wouldn't even match the sale prices on their website - well they did on the cart though after I was about to leave. I thought a package deal in the store would be cheaper. I bought it anyway because my wife's birthday is Friday and IOU's don't go over too well (from past experience). She should be surprised.
    The online sale prices are cheaper here. The regular online price is cheaper too, so they told me. Shipping likely makes it more expensive though.

Tell her you also owe her a Pinball Machine...lol

#1124 6 years ago

If I bought a 50 LB bag I think it would last 5 years. You guys are serious popcorn eaters!

3 months later
    #1178 6 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

Hi!
    Whats your favorite exotic popcorn recipe?
    here in austria nearly 100% love salt popcorn
    sweet popcorn is already a something special.
    but whats next?
    i have a Gold MEdal 4oz machine
    chocolate?
    strawberry?

I have yet to try this but on diners drive ins and dives there was an episode where they sprinkled the following ingredients on popcorn and it caught my eye:

Dehydrated brown sugar
    Paprika
    Granulated garlic
    Salt
    Cayenne pepper
    Dried mustard
    Cumin
    Pepper

It was served at a bar food place...Guy couldn't stop eating the stuff

#1180 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Personally, I'd rather just spend $20 on a Whirley-Pop and make it on the stove when needed instead of buying a machine. The popcorn turns out GREAT, and it's much easier to clean and takes up less space. It only takes ~3 minutes to make a full batch.
    The key is to use coconut oil and butter salt. Yum!

Yes I only have a Whirly Pop myself. It does work great...my kettle corn goto recipe:

1/2 cup popcorn, 1/3 cup corn oil, 1/4 cup sugar

Dump it all in the Whirly Pop and Pop on medium high heat. I shake the container to combine the sugar and oil while turning the crank at the beginning. Once it starts popping it will go quick so stir until the popping stops then I poor it in a grocery brown bag and salt with popcorn salt.

Everyone loves it. Great for Soccer snacks and Birthday parties

Soybean oil is great too. Haven't tried coconut oil with this recipe but I will and report back soon.

* also adding Cinnamon to this recipe turns out fantastic as well

#1185 6 years ago

Anyone else have any recipes that are different?

1 year later
    #1273 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashbk13:

hi all,
    I have a 1920's/30's wood Excel popcorn machine that I need to find out how to use it. I understand that the oil and popcorn go into the top holes and turn the crank, but I have no idea how/ where the popcorn comes out into the cabinet. The kettle is mounted inside the top roof of the machine and does not have a tilt mechanism. (see pics). How does this work? Thank you, Rick
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That popcorn maker looks awesome! I tried to search on google for instructions but couldn’t find anything. Their was a past auction though tgat had one and mentioned they had a original recipe and instructions. Not sure if you could contact them?

http://www.icollector.com/1930s-1940s-POPCORN-MACHINE-BY-EXCEL-ELECTRIC-837324_i5492622

#1279 5 years ago
    Quoted from weasley:

I use this stuff. Delicious! I pop the popcorn like normal and then shake it on. I even have people shake it on their own bowls, because not everyone likes my heavy hand!
    [quoted image]

Looks good but not available anywhere near me...can’t even find it available online.

#1283 5 years ago

I’m in!

#1285 5 years ago

Made Kettle corn...First time I have used Coconut oil but now that I have I am never going back...way good! I also added more sugar then my previously posted recipe. Another plus...best batch yet.

I adjusted my recipe after reading reviews of the flavorcall normal and caramel where for the caramel most recommended doubling the amount suggested.

My review of their caramel is not great...it’s similiar to Cracker Jack popcorn. I will be looking for a better Caramel corn recipe and post what I learn here.

Happy Popcorn Day everyone!

#1288 5 years ago
    Quoted from weaselfest:

check out my post #199 for a sure fire hit caramel corn recipe.

Alright I printed out the recipe and I will give this a go and post my report back here. What is the soft ball stage of Caramel and what are you looking for when you test a few drops in ice water?

#1305 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Wow, just got through the entire thread (read most, but skimmed a bit). I've been looking into buying a machine for a while, and just pulled the trigger the other day. This is what I bought (Paramount 6oz):
    [quoted image]
    I understand this is not the top of the line, and that it may rust a bit, but has anyone tried this perticular model? If so how did it work?
    I purchased this machine and the prepackaged kits before reading this thread. As such, I think I made a mistake with the prepackaged kit as it says soybean oil. Is this no good and should I throw it away when it arrives? Here's a link to the kit:
    amazon.com link »
    When I realized my mistake I looked up my local concession stand supplier and found Butcher Boy Coconut oil with butter flavoring. It does not say pure coconut oil, but was wondering if it should be used. They do not have a product that says pure coconut oil. I'd hate to buy a gallon of the wrong stuff. Picture of the oil below:
    [quoted image]

Soybean oil is fine, I used to pop my kettle corn recipe using it. Coconut though is better IMO.

#1309 5 years ago
    Quoted from steamfitter:

traded a player condition harlem globetrotters for this a few years ago . it has element at the bottom of funnel to heat the popcorn . just put a quarter in , it drops a cup , it fills with warm popcorn , then you lift the door and grab it . definitely the granddaughters favorite.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

They had something similiar at PHOF, very cool!

#1320 5 years ago

Thanks for this! They have lots of other interesting seasonings also.

#1325 5 years ago

Our theatre pops it too. $18 ouch. Glad it’s not that high here.

Quoted from DropTarget:

I liked the dill pickle, my kids not so much.
    try their mushroom popcorn (type of popcorn kernel, not flavor!)

I think I will, thanks again

#1341 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I just got an email from XXXXXXXXX asking about a 30oz popper that he is looking at on CL for $250.
    I'll answer here so everyone can read my 2 cents:
    Most 30oz+ poppers need 220v to function, so that's bumps you up into needing to install a 220v outlet (like a wall air condition needs).
    It's not a high amperage outlet like a stove, but it still requires a special breaker, 220v socket and 10g wiring. Make sure your 220v socket matches the popper's plug, there are several styles.
    If it was hardwired, it may not have a plug at all, and just unterminated wires encased in BX armor.
    It's super useful to be able to make up to 4 large buckets of popcorn at a time, but make sure you know what you are in store for installation wise.

I guess he could recreate the Real Genius popcorn scene if he bought that.

#1365 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My guess is that you somehow got some "virgin" coconut oil.
    You can't pop corn with it, because it scorches at 350*, but it does smell like suntan lotion.[quoted image]

Well I have been popping my kettle corn with it. Hell I like the Coconut taste when making the kettle corn. I didn’t know I was using the wrong kind. I bought Kirkland brand organic virgin coconut oil from Costco.

#1369 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I could totally see coconut kettle corn.....

It’s awesome

1 week later
    #1392 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Thanks for the crash course in popcorning (new word I just made up). I have an 8 oz kettle and normally buy a case at a time of the packets which include the popcorn and coconut oil already measured out. This works out best for me.
    I have been ordering from Snappy Popcorn online for the past 8 years, but I just found a Gold Medal shop on my way to the airport so I will give them a try next time I need to re-stock which will save on shipping. I like to make popcorn anytime we have guests over and it is always a big hit. I didn't even realize that there are different types of popcorn (mushroom vs. butterfly) with regards to the actual shape of the popped kernel.
    Do you have a good recipe for making carmel corn or kettle corn? I have always wanted to make a batch, but wasn't sure of the recipe or the technique.
    Gord

Check out weaselfest recipe reposted below from his post number 199 on this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/4#post-2149294

For you folks willing to go to the effort, here is my proven caramel corn recipe. I make 4-5 batches of this every Christmas. This is the only time I use air popped corn. Don't know if there is any truth to it, but I feel the absence of oil on the corn helps the caramel penetrate the kernel better. You will want a heavy pan to cook the caramel in, one with taller sides, as the baking soda will make the syrup foam up, almost doubling in volume.
    2 cups dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup white corn syrup
    2 sticks margarine or butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    pinch cream of tarter
    8 quarts popped corn (approx 2 cups unpopped) and oven safe pan to hold all with room to stir. I use an 18" wok or the turkey roaster.
    In a large heavy saucepan/ dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and corn syrup, mix well. Bring these first three ingredients to a boil, maintain for 5 minutes to bring caramel to the soft ball stage. ( Test a few drops in ice water) Add the salt, baking soda and cream of tarter and fold in to incorporate. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn, toss to coat. Bake in 250 degree (F) oven for 1 hour, stirring at 15 minute intervals. Lay out 2- 24" pieces of waxed paper to pour hot caramel corn on to cool. Break apart large clumps before caramel hardens. Store in airtight container on the outside chance there is any left to store. If you cook the caramel properly, this stuff will melt in your mouth.

#1399 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I use premeasured pouches in my 8oz as well, seems the easiest and most consistent. Our popcorn popper is in our game room where we have no stove, so the added space of the popper is welcomed.
    I use the whirly for making any kind of popcorn at home, but primarily white corn (like Colby Ridge). It is again the most healthy. In the whirly you can make basic corn for caramel coating, sugar corn, and even attempt kettle corn.
    Recipes
    Caramel
    Pinballlew’s recipe is pretty much the same as mine, I don’t use cream of tarter. This one is labor intensive and batch size is very limited in a residential oven. Another option is to use gold medal glaze pop for quick easy caramel corn. Does not require baking. Plus they have other flavors, I like the cinnamon as well. No doubt the real recipe with butter etc is better......but sometimes I am not willing to spend 2 hours making it so it’s nice to have a quick version. https://shop.gmpopcorn.com/products/caramel-glaze-pop-2525
    Kettle
    I will be flat out honest, it will turn out “ok”. If it was easy to make kettle corn at home I would not have bought my own kettle. Timing is everything, when to add sugar etc, and heat must be high. If you use 1/2 cup corn, then use 1/4 cup sugar. High heat, plenty of oil, and add sugar just before corn is about to pop, but not so late it doesn’t melt. This will not work in a popcorn machine unless it is specifically meant for kettle corn, so it’s whirly popper or a special machine.
    Hope that helps!

Try this for kettle corn in your whirly pop:

1/2 cup popcorn, 1/3rd cup coconut oil (you can use corn or soybean oil also), 1/4 cup sugar then add more again halfway full (so another 1/8th cup). Put it all in at once...(it won’t burn). I know sacrilege but try it. Like you said high heat with lid closed. So at the beginning stir it and a few times shake it to make sure sugar and oil combine. Then just stir away when it starts popping it goes extremely fast and will end popping quickly. Poor out ASAP. Sprinkle with popcorn salt. Enjoy!

*if you have kids or are one yourself like me you can also add 4-6 drops of food coloring too!

#1400 5 years ago

The gold medal caramel corn tasted like Cracker Jack popcorn to me when I used it. Pretty much a dead ringer if you ask me.

1 week later
    #1413 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Just got these.
    Garlic parm and bacon are pretty good.
    amazon.com link »

I bought the white cheddar but it’s pretty artificial tasting...it was at my local grocery store.

2 months later
    #1474 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

For anyone interested in seeing the Most complicated and $$$$ way to make popcorn I thought I would share a video of my Popperette popcorn machine finally finished with its restoration and heading Home! The grand kids better love this..... If your into mechanical mayhem this 1940 solution should be right up your alley. It's a 2 part series showing the mechanics and operation. Just hope it tastes as good as it looks!
    Popperette Part 1 restoration and mechanics:
    Popperette Part 2 the end result and operation:

Thanks for sharing, that machine is awesome! Enjoy.

1 year later
    #1525 3 years ago
    Quoted from silverball2018:

Here's my popcorn machine and other concession stand items.
    [quoted image]

How do you like the popcorn machine? I have that same machine in my Amazon wish list

2 years later
    #1655 1 year ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

Ready for Super Bowl weekend
    [quoted image]

That salt looks interesting, never seen it before.

#1660 1 year ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

That Amish Country flavoring is just like the Flavacol, just another boutique flavoring salt. Thought I’d give it a try. Pretty good, not as price friendly as Falavacol though.
    The oil is just another branded oil, like the Orville Red type. Came as a couple dollar add on to my Flavacol order. So far so good.
    Can’t beat movie theater popcorn magic at home. Going to force me to drink more though to wash down the salty butter flavor.

Mmmm beer

11 months later
    #1733 3 months ago

Says Sold Out already RIP

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=pinballlew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.