5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,447 posts
  • 226 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by pinballinreno
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 261 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

c443baf8-1101-4787-91a1-b753497bba9f_1.db8b4416198f8bf47ad9a86afa0fc2a3 (resized).jpeg
    F423AE43-3A10-4677-9689-B19D5D1DEB61 (resized).jpeg
    20190220_232515 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190215_182820 (resized).jpg
    7503843342_9373f51ccc_b (resized).jpg
    D0E0CFDC-B482-4257-906C-8ED850BAC297 (resized).jpeg
    B387C89C-5D34-4982-BB2A-5EC69B71180F (resized).jpeg
    FC19B665-2891-43A9-A315-DE04855A3C88 (resized).jpeg
    B0BC8E6A-D2CF-490A-AFF7-FEBA39A49B87 (resized).jpeg
    FFC5B3B9-EBE8-4143-B89D-B6CA5A00FA53 (resized).jpeg
    728AF507-D0CC-4387-BD8D-59569F910B15 (resized).jpeg
    81zh-2KKjsL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    NutivaCoconutOilDifferenceFB_1 (resized).jpg
    Layer-10 (resized).jpg
    Cinemark popcorn popper (resized).JPG
    cinemark popcorn warmer (resized).JPG

There are 1447 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 29.
    #1 5 years ago

The wife an i received a popcorn machine form our parents (my mother inlaw) for Christmas this year. We both love popcorn, its a serious fetish, but with the machines in the gameroom, i was worried about greasy hand syndrome on my machines thus i put off a purchase of one of these units for years.

SOOOooooooooo, who else has a popcorn machine and does it create a problem with guest and hands. And yes, i understand i will be cleaning cabinets and glass alot more with that machine.

Secondly, do you use hot butter or butter oil or powdered flavors ?

TIA
    Dubbbs

132.JPG
    #2 5 years ago

Got a popcorn machine where my games are, and honestly I'm just as anal but never noticed a problem. Mostly, and this is related to your second question, I think it's because the popcorn we get comes with a coconut oil/butter mix that you cook with the kernals and the popcorn itself is really not greasy. I would stay away from hot butter or additional oils for sure around games. I'll get a link to the website our popcorn comes from if you're interested...

#3 5 years ago

I have one and use the packs as described above. I also use the Super Kist butter. Yum yum

#4 5 years ago

I love popcorn, Yummy!

#5 5 years ago

I've got a medium commercial machine.

Don't use butter or regular oil for popping, because the machine takes the oil over 500*F and regular oil will scorch or break down.

Don't use "popcorn oil" from those food service places either, it's greasy junk.

You want real Coconut Oil - it's high temp, healthy stuff.

Add Flavacol to the hot oil for real movie theater taste.

flava.jpg
    #6 5 years ago

We picked up an "Orville Theater" popper last year and use it all the time with coconut oil and Flavacol, just like Vid recommends. We purchase the coconut oil packets pre-flavored with Flavacol from a local popcorn supplier. Good stuff.

orville.jpg

#7 5 years ago

Yeah, we have a machines on a cart, we have plenty of napkins too. I haven't noticed much of an issue. Most of my friend are cognizant of oily fingers and wash

#8 5 years ago

I need to learn more about this Flavacol. Sounds great.

#9 5 years ago

Another vote for coconut oil and Flavacol. You won't be disappointed.

#10 5 years ago

We have a 6oz Gold Medal popper that my wife got me for Christmas 2 years ago. Agree on the Flavacol and Coconut oil. There was a pretty comprehensive topic on this on Pinball Bash a while back with a ton of great info on machines and set ups. We also have a butter dispenser and have had no issues with "greasy" games FWIW.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

The wife an i received a popcorn machine form our parents (my mother inlaw) for Christmas this year.

We got the same one from my fiancé's parents. I don't know if it was suppose to be a joke or not but they gave us a 60 pound bag of corn as well. Does that stuff go bad?

#12 5 years ago

We have the 4oz from fun time and use their pre packaged popcorn w/oil and seasoning. Good stuff, but i wouldn't want people eating it and then playing pinball as there is some oily residue on your fingers.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You want real Coconut Oil - it's high temp, healthy stuff.

Have experts reversed their thinking on coconut oil? I remember when the Center for Science in the Public Interest lobbied hard to have coconut oil banned from movie theaters. This was a while ago, though, so things could have changed. I definitely agree that coconut oil makes the best popcorn, hands down.

#14 5 years ago

I have one but, it's out by the TV room. I haven't fired it up much while people are playing my pins.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Have experts reversed their thinking on coconut oil? I remember when the Center for Science in the Public Interest lobbied hard to have coconut oil banned from movie theaters. This was a while ago, though, so things could have changed. I definitely agree that coconut oil makes the best popcorn, hands down.

No, coconut oil is still a saturated fat. Consumers did not like the flavor of the alternative oils. So, little by little, everyone switched back to coconut oil.

#16 5 years ago

8oz Paragon machine, great machine
    4472_88776782730_2135629_n.jpg

#17 5 years ago

My friend has a big one in his Pin Room....but, it's just for show! He never even started it up!

#18 5 years ago

I have one in my game room similar to the pohne the OP posted. I love it and use it every time I have a party or host our pinball league.

#19 5 years ago

I have a Paragon also and the coconut and flavacol works great.
    I haven't had any sticky or greasy finger problems but I don't use butter either.

#20 5 years ago

I've got the Juke Box popper.

Gameroom 3.JPG

#21 5 years ago

That's pretty darn cool!

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Back in the day, Big Corn paid to have "research" done to try and demonize Coconut Oil, the same way a single law firm paid to have childhood immunizations "become" the cause of autism .

Nowadays people are claiming that Coconut Oil is the next big "cure all" and best source of MCTs.

Always follow the money.

#23 5 years ago

I bought a new 6oz Paragon theater pop on craigslist recently. Great machine and great price! I'd not use the portioned out mixes. The oil in it isn't as good as 100% pure coconut oil. I'd get that at costco, comes in a big jar. For flavor, I'd use a very minor butter or flavocal in the mix. Then have flavored shakers for your guests to use. The most popular with mine is white cheddar, or just plain. They love the straight coconut oil taste.

#24 5 years ago

Coconut oil makes the best tasting popcorn, so I doubt it is the healthiest for you. That said , Canola oil can burn and ruin the stainless steel of popcorn maker kettles. Gold Metal did a study of this years ago.

Also, always use genuine Flavacol. Accept no substitutes.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Coconut oil makes the best tasting popcorn, so I doubt it is the healthiest for you. That said , Canola oil can burn and ruin the stainless steel of popcorn maker kettles. Gold Metal did a study of this years ago.

Canola stinks, the residue turns into a substance resembling Bakelite, and the fumes have been linked to lung cancer!
    Terrible stuff.
    I don't think people are eating popcorn (loaded with oil, salt, and sometimes flavoring) are thinking about the health benefits of the oil, so why not go out and make it right with coconut oil.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

This.

There are 2 popular Flavacols; standard and better butter.

The better butter is slightly sweeter. At $2.50 a box, get 'em both and pick your favorite.

#27 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions guys.......

I love the Juke Popper..... wish i had that instead

I remember that i do have a relative working at Detroit Popcorn Company, i will drop him a line as he stocks Flavacol and the pre packed single servings for the kids to use as well as all of the flavors that kids would like.

I will also forget about the butter warmer/dispenser...... that is if i can find an equal medium to keep me happy.

http://store.detroitpopcorn.com/

#28 5 years ago

Also, don't put those "candy corn" glazes into home poppers.

You can only use them in pro poppers with a special setting.

You will be very sorry if you coat your home machine with permanent glazing, lol.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.......
    I love the Juke Popper..... wish i had that instead
    I remember that i do have a relative working at Detroit Popcorn Company, i will drop him a line as he stocks Flavacol and the pre packed single servings for the kids to use as well as all of the flavors that kids would like.
    I will also forget about the butter warmer/dispenser...... that is if i can find an equal medium to keep me happy.
    http://store.detroitpopcorn.com/

Dubbs, if you can get a deal on a theater butter-o-matic, seriously get one. I can't justify the price otherwise I wohld have one.
    Bruce

#30 5 years ago

Agree with previous posts. Have a popcorn machine on cart and buy the pre-packets with corn, coconut oil and salt. Never had issues around the games.

Vid has it right btw. Coconut oil and flavorcal are the secret ingredients to awesome popcorn just like movie theaters. As far as coconut oil being healthy - I'll die with a smile on my face. If it's not one thing it's another.

So any links to where you guys buy your supplies?

BTW - Get the cheddar cheese flavoring. Take popcorn put in a ziplock bag and load up with the cheese and shake. Awesome cheese popcorn.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Using regular melted butter kind of dissolves the popcorn into a soggy mess.

High end theaters that brag that they use "real butter" use Clarified Butter or Ghee .

Clarified butter is often in the seafood section and Ghee is in the ethnic section of the grocery store. They are both basically the same thing - butter with all the excess moisture removed.

(can you guys tell I've installed many a commercial popcorn machine? lol)

#32 5 years ago

VID'S GUIDE TO REPAIRING HOME POPCORN MACHINES:

At some point you will note that the Kettle does not heat up, or it does heat up, but only 10% of the kernels pop.

When you call the company, they will tell you that your kettle needs replacing at $90 to $175.

First check that you have voltage at the plug the pigtail plugs into on the roof of the machine when the Heat switch is engaged.

On inexpensive machines, the heating element is braised to the kettle itself - but the element almost never burns out in a home setting.

After checking that the heating element is conductive with your meter, you now know that it is the thermostat or the high limit switch.

If the thermostat has the tiny set screw adjustment in it, you can often just give it a turn to clean the tip and then put it right back where it was set. If that does not fix it, replace it ($5 part).

If the thermostat/limit switch looks like a metal diode, just replace it (.50 cent part).

You can put the disassembled kettle in a vice and test the whole thing on your bench with a laser thermometer, but be careful as you don't want to touch a 500*F element by accident.

therm.jpg
    #33 5 years ago

Have you priced a Gold Medal kettle lately? I wish there was one for $175.00

#34 5 years ago

Bruce......

No way on the butter-o-matic........ thats enough funds for a project em machine/early ss.

I already wish this one was bigger, but will have to wait and see if its popularity holds up with the kids in a few weeks. Other then that, it makes enough with a couple of runs for the wife and I and our lab, also a popcorn Junkie.

Dubbs

9 months later
    #35 4 years ago

Bumping this old thread to see some opinions on some of the brands. Friend is looking to get one and I may be looking too. Paragon is a good name. Are any of the home brands worth considering for light use?

#36 4 years ago

I have the Funtime 4oz machine. It works well and the popcorn tastes good. We use it only when we are watching a movie, not when playing pinball as it's too greasy..

#37 4 years ago

Have 2 of them because we love popcorn so much. One for our home with the theater and one for summer house. Wife uses only organic popcorn and cooks in coconut oil - no butter and boy is it good!

0005.JPG

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

The wife an i received a popcorn machine form our parents (my mother inlaw) for Christmas this year. We both love popcorn, its a serious fetish, but with the machines in the gameroom, i was worried about greasy hand syndrome on my machines thus i put off a purchase of one of these units for years.
    SOOOooooooooo, who else has a popcorn machine and does it create a problem with guest and hands. And yes, i understand i will be cleaning cabinets and glass alot more with that machine.
    Secondly, do you use hot butter or butter oil or powdered flavors ?
    TIA
    Dubbbs

132.JPG 213 KB

i have a small air popper popcorn machine. quite healthy, i just add a little rock salt.
    easy to clean and maintain and just buy the organic popcorn.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

High end theaters that brag that they use "real butter" use Clarified Butter or Ghee

pure ghee. the fast track to a heart attack. : P or at the least, high cholesterol.

#40 4 years ago

Saw your earlier request for models. We bought 2 of these and the first one is simply outstanding. The second one does not pop as "crisp" and I think it's because the stirring mech in the pot is much slower. Below is a screenshot of the invoice for the first we bought in 2008. I'm sure the pricing has gone up! Model is the "Paducah" 8oz antique with cart #6035.

Capture2.JPG

#41 4 years ago

So what's involved to use the oil and popcorn vs. the pre-packed kits? Obviously it's easier, but how do you know what you need to add? I assume you all have experimented and know what you need.

How's the Great Northern brand? Junk?

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from MT45:

Saw your earlier request for models. We bought 2 of these and the first one is simply outstanding. The second one does not pop as "crisp" and I think it's because the stirring mech in the pot is much slower. Below is a screenshot of the invoice for the first we bought in 2008. I'm sure the pricing has gone up! Model is the "Paducah" 8oz antique with cart #6035.

Perfect and thank you. Looks like they changed to the Great Northern from Great American now. They're priced well.

#43 4 years ago

I built a Snack Bar right off of my 71 Pin Emporium with the medieval door leading to my home theater......I built custom cabinets with a Granite top....It's a ton of fun during Pinball Tournaments....
    Snack Bar 1.jpg
    Snack Bar 3.jpg
    Snack Bar 4.jpg
    Snack Bar 7.jpg
    Snack Bar 8.jpg
    Snack Bar 9.jpg
    Snack Bar 10.jpg
    Snack Bar 11.jpg
    Snack Bar 13.jpg
    Snack Bar 12.jpg
    Snack Bar 15.jpg
    Snack Bar 17.jpg
    Snack Bar 18.jpg

#44 4 years ago

that is awesome! now we need to see what is behind that door

#45 4 years ago

I have this late 40's-50's popcorn machine. I don't know why they used "French Fried" for popcorn back then...
    IMG_20140928_082646125.jpg

#46 4 years ago

I don't have one of these at home but it is the family business,although I don't work there anymore. Mike
    popcorn.jpg

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from psd4me:

I don't have one of these at home but it is the family business,although I don't work there anymore. Mike

popcorn.jpg 186 KB

IIRC, the "Popcorn factory" at Detroit's Tiger Stadium used those type of machines.

#48 4 years ago

I use the pre portioned packets as I believe that is the easiest to use. I would try those. Just need to know the size of your popcorn machine.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

IIRC, the "Popcorn factory" at Detroit's Tiger Stadium used those type of machines.

there's alot of different shops that use them.Garretts popcorn In downtown Chicago uses them also and the old KarmelKorn franchise used them. My grandfather bought the business in 61 it was started in 1900 and had a 5 story building in Chicago at one time.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from psd4me:

Garretts popcorn In downtown Chicago

my favorite popcorn shop. love the Chicago mix. I've also found their store in NYC, Vegas, and there's one opening near me in Novi, MI.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 14.95
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 157.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 59.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 209.99
    There are 1447 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 29.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside