(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 36.
    #1651 1 year ago
    150001-02_tastebuds-blueberry-blue-candy-coated-popcorn-1-gallon-bag-612278158 (resized).jpg150001-02_tastebuds-blueberry-blue-candy-coated-popcorn-1-gallon-bag-612278158 (resized).jpgth-4231249100 (resized).jpgth-4231249100 (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #1653 1 year ago

Couple questions. I see a pop corn jr model a, which spec wise shows height of 19" which would fit on the counter as my upper cabs are low enough that 21" ones do not fit. looks like this
    popcorn (resized).pngpopcorn (resized).png
    Any thoughts on these, how is repairing them if needed? they seem simple.

Anyone else also have a "hot nut" machine? Seems like you just throw in peanuts/cashews etc and it warms them up...I've never had them but I hear they are good?

nut (resized).pngnut (resized).png

2 weeks later
    #1654 1 year ago

Ready for Super Bowl weekend

9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg
    #1655 1 year ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

[quoted image]

That salt looks interesting, never seen it before.

#1656 1 year ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

[quoted image]

What is actually in "Butter Flavored Popcorn Topping" oil?

#1657 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

That salt looks interesting, never seen it before.

I'm wondering how different from flavacol it is...maybe just the coloring?

#1658 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I'm wondering how different from flavacol it is...maybe just the coloring?

best popcorn salt I have tasted

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1659 1 year ago

That Amish Country flavoring is just like the Flavacol, just another boutique flavoring salt. Thought I’d give it a try. Pretty good, not as price friendly as Falavacol though.

The oil is just another branded oil, like the Orville Red type. Came as a couple dollar add on to my Flavacol order. So far so good.

Can’t beat movie theater popcorn magic at home. Going to force me to drink more though to wash down the salty butter flavor.

#1660 1 year ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

That Amish Country flavoring is just like the Flavacol, just another boutique flavoring salt. Thought I’d give it a try. Pretty good, not as price friendly as Falavacol though.
    The oil is just another branded oil, like the Orville Red type. Came as a couple dollar add on to my Flavacol order. So far so good.
    Can’t beat movie theater popcorn magic at home. Going to force me to drink more though to wash down the salty butter flavor.

Mmmm beer

#1661 1 year ago

Is the consensus best manufacturer Great Northern? If so, which model? I am looking around for a machine for our movie room.

#1662 1 year ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

Is the consensus best manufacturer Great Northern? If so, which model? I am looking around for a machine for our movie room.

Gold Medal is the best. But you pay for it. Many like Great Northern as they offer the best value.

#1663 1 year ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

Great northern kettles need a bolt installed where the grub screw is to close the lids during cooking.

Oddly this was left out when they went to MASSIVE consumer builds.

I posted this earlier in the thread, it works perfectly.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/29#post-4849426

I have 3 of them and they have worked perfectly for years.

I did have one of them loosen the red plastic handle on the kettle.

I just poured a little 5 min epoxy in the hole and glued it back on.

It hasnt come loose again.

1 week later
    #1664 1 year ago

I'm in the club! Is there a best place to buy supplies from?

20230220_180046 (resized).jpg20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    #1665 1 year ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

I'm in the club! Is there a best place to buy supplies from? [quoted image]

20230220_154212 (resized).jpg20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    #1666 1 year ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

I'm in the club! Is there a best place to buy supplies from? [quoted image]

Yep, Google your local "concession supply" in your area. There will be a dozen.

Get a 50 pound bag of their largest kernel corn (not mushroom kernel, that's for coated popcorn)

One gallon of "Red Coconut oil" (it will be solid at room temperature)

35 oz carton of Flavacol powder

All this will cost 1/2 of what it is on Amazon.
    -

90% of places will gladly sell to anyone off the street, but if you get that toothless carney guy that says "We only sell to businesses", just say, "Of course, I'm from Our Lady Of The Lake Church. Father Huckabuck said to pick this stuff up."

I don't know why, but the moment you say you are from a church, your money is always good with the carneys.

#1667 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, Google your local "concession supply" in your area. There will be a dozen.
    Get a 50 pound bag of their largest kernel corn (not mushroom kernel, that's for coated popcorn)
    One gallon of "Red Coconut oil" (it will be solid at room temperature)
    35 oz carton of Flavacol powder
    All this will cost 1/2 of what it is on Amazon.
    -
    90% of places will gladly sell to anyone off the street, but if you get that toothless carney guy that says "We only sell to businesses", just say, "Of course, I'm from Our Lady Of The Lake Church. Father Huckabuck said to pick this stuff up."
    I don't know why, but the moment you say you are from a church, your money is always good with the carneys.

Thanks for the tip Vid. I ordered this one off Amazon, it was $29. Will give it a try tonight!

20230222_155014 (resized).jpg20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    #1668 1 year ago

the Great Northern pre-paks are also nice!

I use them in my shops so that the operator doesnt have to measure anything.

Amazon has them in a variety of sizes for whatever your kettle will take.

The flavor is quite good.

#1669 1 year ago

I disagree with the "no mushroom popcorn" statement. While Mushroom popcorn is the right thing for coated popcorn (caramel corn, kettle corn), it is also great for regular batches.

In fact, I usually use about 75% mushroom to 25% butterfly popcorn in each batch. Many taste and texture tests with many guests and mushroom came out on top, with just some butterfly mixed in.

#1670 1 year ago
    Quoted from Defender:

I disagree with the "no mushroom popcorn" statement. While Mushroom popcorn is the right thing for coated popcorn (caramel corn, kettle corn), it is also great for regular batches.
    In fact, I usually use about 75% mushroom to 25% butterfly popcorn in each batch. Many taste and texture tests with many guests and mushroom came out on top, with just some butterfly mixed in.

Pinballgoddess LOVES muchroom popcorn and will have only this.
    Plus she also LOVES caramel Glaze-Pop. Mushroom popcorn is perfect for this.

She claims it doesnt stick in her teeth as much? I dunno...

But, im happy to oblige her.

#1671 1 year ago
    Quoted from Defender:

Whatever you like, is the best

No one can argue that

#1672 1 year ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

Thanks for the tip Vid. I ordered this one off Amazon, it was $29. Will give it a try tonight![quoted image]

That's not too bad of a price, as it's up to $21 at the concession supply near me

Since it has a high smoke point, you will like it for searing on the grill too

#1673 1 year ago

So far the machine has been a huge hit. The kids, wife, neighbor kids, me all love it. Wife and I like the unrefined coconut oil better, the kids prefer the snappy stuff. We have been using 2 oz oil, 6 oz corn, 1 tablespoon flavacol. I think we will dial back the oil to 1 oz tonight and see how that comes out. I also noticed the kettle was leaning forward a bit because the handle metal had mushroomed slightly. So I took a piece of broken wire I found in the cabinet of a Paragon I recently picked up and bent it to create a platform for the handle to rest up against. The kettle is now level so I'm hoping for more uniform oil temp across the surface which should lead to quicker pop time and less scorching. We will get it perfected soon enough, in the meantime the chickens love all the leftovers coming their way!

20230223_091543 (resized).jpg20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    #1674 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Back in the day, Big Corn paid to have "research" done to try and demonize Coconut Oil, the same way a single law firm paid to have childhood immunizations "become" the cause of autism .
    Nowadays people are claiming that Coconut Oil is the next big "cure all" and best source of MCTs.
    Always follow the money.

Word.

#1675 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Back in the day, Big Corn paid to have "research" done to try and demonize Coconut Oil, the same way a single law firm paid to have childhood immunizations "become" the cause of autism .
    Nowadays people are claiming that Coconut Oil is the next big "cure all" and best source of MCTs.
    Always follow the money.

My favorite popping "oil" is ghee
    high smoke point and gives it a great taste
    Coconut oil is good also, but ghee gives it that buttery taste without the fake butter oils

#1676 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

My favorite popping "oil" is ghee
    high smoke point and gives it a great taste
    Coconut oil is good also, but ghee gives it that buttery taste without the fake butter oils

That's because ghee is butter without the fats. Seems like overkill. Ghee would be used for flavoring after cooking, but not for the actual popping.

#1677 1 year ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

That's because ghee is butter without the fats. Seems like overkill. Ghee would be used for flavoring after cooking, but not for the actual popping.

Not to be that guy, but ghee has MORE fat than butter, and is higher in calories. I know, this isn’t a health forum.

#1678 1 year ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Not correct,
    It’s more concentrated in fat than butter, as its water and milk solids have been removed - no fat is removed

It's got a high smoke point making it perfect for popping pop corn

5 months later
    #1679 7 months ago

Woot has a pretty slamming deal on the 8oz. Great Northern Popcorn Machine for Amazon Prime Members. $153, shipped.

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/great-northern-lincoln-8-ounce-antique-popcorn-machine-bar-style

Normally $300 if bought directly from the manufacturer, or $220 on amazon.

#1680 7 months ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Woot has a pretty slamming deal on the 8oz. Great Northern Popcorn Machine for Amazon Prime Members. $153, shipped.
    https://sellout.woot.com/offers/great-northern-lincoln-8-ounce-antique-popcorn-machine-bar-style
    Normally $300 if bought directly from the manufacturer, or $220 on amazon.

I love mine!

I have 3 of them.

#1681 7 months ago

Freaking sweet, if this fits under my cabinets on the counter I’ll snag it. I remember looking and most don’t fit, I found one at auction that was short but forgot to bid!

EDIT: crap just looked up and my cabs were like 21”

The great northern 2.5oz cup is like 19” so that would fit.

1 month later
    #1682 5 months ago

I own a Waring popcorn machine. It has served me well for years. Lately popcorn comes out rubbery with lots of unpopped kernels. I have changed to different brand of kernels but no substantial change. I started to measure the temperature of the kettle and it tops out around 370 degrees. It got me wondering what is the optimal kettle temperature for popping.

#1683 5 months ago
    Quoted from rwarren28806:

I own a Waring popcorn machine. It has served me well for years. Lately popcorn comes out rubbery with lots of unpopped kernels. I have changed to different brand of kernels but no substantial change. I started to measure the temperature of the kettle and it tops out around 370 degrees. It got me wondering what is the optimal kettle temperature for popping.

We have been using corn oil at smoking hot with Orville Reddenbacher kernels in the 35 pound paper bags purchased from our closest concession supply store for 50 cents a pound. Thanks for the concession supply store tip Vid! We tried a bunch of different oils and kids favorite was corn. Coconut oil in the gallon jugs is great but messy and expensive. Corn oil pops up beautifully with the right amount and smoking hot.

#1684 5 months ago

It got me wondering what is the optimal kettle temperature for popping.

Commercial machines high limit switches are usually set to cut out at 420*f for salted corn popping.

#1685 5 months ago

Anybody using avocado oil in their poppers?

I've found it to be a great all around cooking oil with a very high smoke point and makes really good popcorn right on the stove.

#1686 5 months ago

I have used packets for years but am considering individual items based on you guys. Is taste and quality that much better.... or if you're not worried about cost the packets just that more convenient.

#1687 5 months ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

I have used packets for years but am considering individual items based on you guys. Is taste and quality that much better.... or if you're not worried about cost the packets just that more convenient.

Packets aew great!

We use them at my 2 stores. Very easy to use and the popcorn is perfect.

We buy cases of the Great Northern 8oz paks when they go on sale at Amazon for out 8oz kettles.

At home I use flavicol, bulk kernels and yellow coconut oil by the 50lb can.

We also use the coconut oil in cooking and recipes in place of butter.

In baking, the coconut oil imparts a different crispier texture with a cleaner taste.

A lot of things are a bit better with coconut oil but not all.

Frying in coconut oil is better than olive oil. It seems more slippery and doesnt burn as easy.

Tortillas cook better.

#1688 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Commercial machines high limit switches are usually set to cut out at 420*f for salted corn popping.

So if my machine heats to between 350 and 370 is that too low?

#1689 5 months ago

So if my machine heats to between 350 and 370 is that too low?

If you are using an infrared thermometer against a shiny chrome surface, it might not be reading correctly.

Aim at a blackened carbon section of the inside kettle (if you have it)

If you are measuring the hot oil itself with a cooking therm, then yes, I'd bump that temp up

#1690 5 months ago

To JDubbbs (the OP),

RIP

Your still remembered at the Vintage Flipper World (VFW)

bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpgbar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpgbar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpgbar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    #1691 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Anybody using avocado oil in their poppers?
    I've found it to be a great all around cooking oil with a very high smoke point and makes really good popcorn right on the stove.

tried it for some time, but switched to Ghee

#1692 5 months ago

I'd think that temp would absolutely destroy normal unprocessed oils like plain corn oil

Quoted from vid1900:Commercial machines high limit switches are usually set to cut out at 420*f for salted corn popping.

#1693 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

I'd think that temp would absolutely destroy normal unprocessed oils like plain corn oil

Maybe.

We can only worry about the standard lightweight "coconut oil" that the manufacturer recommends for the machines, right?

If the service manual tells you to set the temp for 385 for 'candy corn flavors' and 420 for normal salted corn, then that's what we want.

Too low a temp leaves a bunch of un-popped kernels, too high a temp burns the kernels.

#1694 5 months ago

We use unmodified white coconut oil but I guess the standard is some kind of processed oil to take that temp, right?

Quoted from vid1900:Maybe.
    We can only worry about the standard lightweight "coconut oil" that the manufacturer recommends for the machines, right?
    If the service manual tells you to set the temp for 385 for 'candy corn flavors' and 420 for normal salted corn, then that's what we want.
    Too low a temp leaves a bunch of un-popped kernels, too high a temp burns the kernels.

#1695 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

We use unmodified white coconut oil but I guess the standard is some kind of processed oil to take that temp, right?

The oil does not stay at that temp.

You add the oil, it rises up to 400*+

You add the kernels, the temp falls to 325*

As the temp recovers, it surpasses the popping point, and the corn pops (some auto machines turn off the heat before all the kernels pop, because of the heat holdover; and that helps keep the popped corn in the kettle from burning if the employees don't instantly dump it). That's why you can't put 8oz of kernels in a 6oz machine - you dont have enough BTUs to recover before the kernels cook instead of pop.

Virgin coconut oil smells like coconut, refined coconut oil has no smell.

Some corn oils have a high smoke point, but they give you greasy popcorn.

#1696 5 months ago

Not to skip the required reading but the preferred is processed coconut like the snappy yellow stuff not the virgin white anal lube stuff?

Quoted from vid1900:The oil does not stay at that temp.
    You add the oil, it rises up to 400*+
    You add the kernels, the temp falls to 325*
    As the temp recovers, it surpasses the popping point, and the corn pops (some auto machines turn off the heat before all the kernels pop, because of the heat holdover; and that helps keep the popped corn in the kettle from burning if the employees don't instantly dump it). That's why you can't put 8oz of kernels in a 6oz machine - you dont have enough BTUs to recover before the kernels cook instead of pop.
    Virgin coconut oil smells like coconut, refined coconut oil has no smell.
    Some corn oils have a high smoke point, but they give you greasy popcorn.

#1697 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:Not to skip the required reading but the preferred is processed coconut like the snappy yellow stuff not the virgin white anal lube stuff?

You can use either.

The "red coconut oil" that is solid at room temperature is the classic.

You can get the white, but without the carotene color additive the corn will still be white

Odell and snappy also make blends that are liquid down to 40*

#1698 5 months ago

I will get a jar of the colored processed stuff and give it a whirl. Thanks.

Quoted from vid1900:You can use either.
    The "red coconut oil" that is solid at room temperature is the classic.
    You can get the white, but without the carotene color additive the corn will still be white
    Odell and snappy also make blends that are liquid down to 40*

#1699 5 months ago

A $5 brochure holder from Staples perfectly holds 1 ounce popcorn bags, for anyone wondering.

IMG_7521 (resized).jpegIMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    #1700 4 months ago

Looking for some advice on a new machine. Just got an 8 OZ popper from Great Northern. Actually the same one as the post above.

Do the first few batches come nasty? On the first time heating the was some sort of smoke or steam coming from the kettle that had a nasty metallic stink. Maybe residuals from manufacturing process need to burn off. Seems unhealthy.

Anyways looking for advice. How many batches should I run through before 'breaking in' the machine. I know the kettle has a bit of a cast iron effect that needs to develop. Is this something to be concerned about.

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.