(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chessiv.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Well that didn't take long for this or any other thread with MMr in the title to become this pro vs anti MMr love hate bash. The usual suspects are attracted to them like flies to sh*t. I really don't understand why people who don't even own an MMr or have an order on the way seem to feel the need to spew their brand of hatred for this machine. You will know who they are by the thumbs down they will give this post. The only commonality I can see is that they own an original or soon to be remade original and watched as the trending price of their precious originals dropped. Bashing MMr is not going to bring the MM prices back up, sorry you speculated and lost.
Back on topic. I think there is great potential for them to do a much better version of colorizing than color DMD with smaller pixels etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

I don't know why certain people insist you can only have an opinion on something if you own it. That's a false premise. Also, discussing the non-free now color upgrade is on topic if you read the topic.

#359 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't have all the facts. And what little I do know isn't mine to share, because I know it sucks when someone leaks your ideas ahead of time.
It just seems reasonable to me to wait until there's an announcement, and then judge it. Maybe it will be a raw deal. And then I think it's legit to be mad. But maybe it's cool, and reasonable, and everyone can go "huh, I can get behind that, guess there was no reason to get worked up" and that will be that.
Truth is the original MM was just orange dots. This idea that it should be in color isn't really part of the spirit of the remake announcement. It might be a smart move to give it out free to LE owners. Or it might be that the business reality is that it needs to cost something. For all we know when they said "kit" it means new hardware too. I have no clue myself.

If it includes Nick Cage as the king I'M IN!

1694ac947f6a116e93fcbcf92e7480d1.gif1694ac947f6a116e93fcbcf92e7480d1.gif

#515 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Would it know what to do with the signal, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you could run a HD source into a DMD and have it displayed in dots. The MMr video output is technically an HD source for the LCD monitor, even if its display appears to be dots. I don't think it would work. It may be capable - but I don't think it would actually work.

You can't run a hd signal to a dmd. But, they could be putting standard dmd data out on those pins. That wouldn't be hard to do. I don't know this to be a fact but it's very possible. It would be interesting to hook up a stern led dmd and see if the tearing problem is still there. The output on a real dmd might be fine. Fun experiment.

#526 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I thought the whole point was to get a MM.Now we are rewriting the rules.Why not just design a game with new rules.
The whole premise of a reissue is being washed out with what is being called "minor cosmetic improvements' and now rule changes."LEDS and shaker motors were not in the original game.These were added.Brian Eddy did not design the game for a shaker motor.IMHO only games that the designer wanted one should have a shaker.Especially if you are reissuing a classic.
In guitar world,older, vintage is always better.Not everyone can afford or find one, similar to MM.So Fender and Gibson do reissues.And they build them as close to 1962 or 59 or 65 or whatever AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE.Because they know the customer wants as close to NOS as possible.
If I was buying a reissue anything, thats what I would want.All this other stuff is subjective and up to the individual.

You're not taking into account that games had to meet a budget. MM was an expensive game to make. It's likely there was no more budget for a shaker motor. LEDs weren't available when the game was made. When we first showed Nucore to Larry DeMar have mentioned that they wanted an LCD panel instead of a CRT but at the time it was cost prohibitive.

#532 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

As a consumer I don't care what PPS budget is.All I know is i need 8K to buy what is being marketed as a "reissue."

You missed the point. Maybe Brian didn't have budget for a shaker and would have used one if he did. I'll actually ask him. Secondly, Color LEDs like we have today weren't around back then.

#550 8 years ago

For the record. I asked Brian the following question:

So, the question of the day. If you could have put a shaker motor in MM would you have? Were you budget restricted or just didn't think of using one?

His response:

LOL - I did actually have one in the ordinal design for castle hits and the castle being destroyed. BUT I knew it would not make it because of cost. The material cost of a pin was always a battle so you always put a couple things in that would be cool that you knew you could "give up" to appease the money people.

And just for the record I guessed correctly

#557 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I wouldn't exactly say it was hard or expensive to make. More so, i'm sure licenses fees took a hefty toll on the overall costs.

The original game. Not the remake.

#580 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And what did I say? Wait until you see it before worrying about it.

It's only a $600 upgrade! (I kid...)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 45.00
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chessiv.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization?tu=chessiv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.