(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 50.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=pps#post-1557003

Post #3156
"As we have said MANY MANY times, the colorized DMD is a software upgrade. At this time it will be an free LE upgrade to the software - likely no charge for LE owners, but we don't have the full cost yet, but that is the goal. So YES, the colorized DMD will be going into the game, probably the biggest question we internally have is exactly when - may be sooner or may be later, but will be done.
rick"

maybe later than sooner ? /...

surely for the owners, they could have done this for free..

and how much are they going to have to cough up for the colorization?
Edit: ok, no price mentioned.

anyway owners, get ready to spread thy cheeks.

#52 8 years ago

Glad I got AMH instead

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Thanks for the quote; Love it.
"likely" and "this is the goal" kind of contradicts "it will be an free LE upgrade".

Some great weasel words. Better than many politicians.

The master would have coined the word "free-ish" if this was his clusterfcuk.

#54 8 years ago

I'm sure this will be a free upgrade for those waiting for the AFM remake.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

I'm sure this will be a free upgrade for those waiting for the AFM remake.

"Buy an AFMr, and you get colorization for MMr for free! Even if you don't have the game!" . .... er, what?

#56 8 years ago

Man how I enjoy purchasing and living in the past tense.

#57 8 years ago

Well that didn't take long for this or any other thread with MMr in the title to become this pro vs anti MMr love hate bash. The usual suspects are attracted to them like flies to sh*t. I really don't understand why people who don't even own an MMr or have an order on the way seem to feel the need to spew their brand of hatred for this machine. You will know who they are by the thumbs down they will give this post. The only commonality I can see is that they own an original or soon to be remade original and watched as the trending price of their precious originals dropped. Bashing MMr is not going to bring the MM prices back up, sorry you speculated and lost.

Back on topic. I think there is great potential for them to do a much better version of colorizing than color DMD with smaller pixels etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=pps#post-1557003

Post #3156
"As we have said MANY MANY times, the colorized DMD is a software upgrade. At this time it will be an free LE upgrade to the software - likely no charge for LE owners, but we don't have the full cost yet, but that is the goal. So YES, the colorized DMD will be going into the game, probably the biggest question we internally have is exactly when - may be sooner or may be later, but will be done.
rick"

Man, what a shiester.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Bashing MMr is not going to bring the MM prices back up,

no but the continued MMr issues will! MM originals $20k by Christmas!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Rick's really looking forward to more of your money!

#60 8 years ago

Love the double speak.
Someone is wanting WAY too much money to colorize dots it appears.
All these artists on the colorDMD projects are donating their time colorizing games THEY want to see and share their work for free to the community.
I'll just take a second to thank the guy from Springfield, MO that did Judge Dredd. Love it.

It's an 8K pinball that had ZERO design cost [other than the board rework]. IMHO they should ALL have the color update for free - not just the LE's.

I don't have a dog in the hunt so this is purely an unbiased opinion.

#61 8 years ago

I'm not sure if I'm yet "looking forward". I am certainly going to wait and see, and try and suppress judgement until then.

I hope CGC becomes more consumer engaging, if they plan on continuing remakes. I'm not happy with Rick being the front man (and then being called out as not the front man). I'm not happy with Rick owning how it all works out - then later not. They don't necessarily need to feed the trolls here on pinside; but they should produce their own marketing, their own PR. And be very clear on the products they plan on selling to us via distributors.

#62 8 years ago

I'm sure most of us have figured this out by now, but if we stop buying things before they're ready to ship, little surprises like this will no longer be possible.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'm sure most of us have figured this out by now, but if we stop buying things before they're ready to ship, little surprises like this will no longer be possible.

LOL! Did you mean to post that on pin-takemymoney-side?

#64 8 years ago

I really don't understand why people who don't even own an MMr or have an order on the way seem to feel the need to spew their brand of hatred for this machine. You will know who they are by the thumbs down they will give this post.

I thumbed you down for making silly, over-dramatic posts. I mean really.. "spewing hatred"..?? It's more like "I think the old one plays better than the new one" Wow.. lots of hate there LOL this place continues to amaze me....

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I thumbed you down for making silly, over-dramatic posts. I mean really.. "spewing hatred"..?? It's more like "I think the old one plays better than the new one" Wow.. lots of hate there LOL this place continues to amaze me....

He learned that from the WOZ guys, bunch a pansies.

#66 8 years ago

Haha yea you do a search/replace in this thread and turn it into a WOZ thread easily...

For the record, we ordered a MMr and *wanted* it to be better than the original.. especially the audio.. but were disappointed by what I call "the cheapening" over the months, and backed out just before the deadline. They're good machines, these remakes, but not worth 8K. I mean hell, I enjoy Metallica more than MM, and now you can grab a new prem model for 1500 less than a MMr..

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Post #3156
rick"

Thank you non lazy person

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Pie in the Sky Pinball inc.

Any word on how much the "tear repair" code update is gonna cost?

#69 8 years ago

I woke up this morning and found the value of my CC and MB went up by 25% overnight !

Thanks Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#71 8 years ago
#72 8 years ago

I want MMr to be in LIVING color!

ctv.jpgctv.jpg

or Chromacolor!

zn.jpgzn.jpg

But would be happy with RCA color

nbc.jpgnbc.jpg

rca.jpgrca.jpg

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think $400 would be a fair price for color. That's what the other guys get.

Yes but with "the other guys" you can recoup up to $100 on the old DMD. And if you want to move it to another game the software change is free.

If these guys charge another $400 USD or %5 of the original game they are going to hear screams. And it would be another nail in the coffin of future remakes.

Of course that might be the plan. The Future of remakes looks bad so make what they can off this one now.

#74 8 years ago
#75 8 years ago

No sorry, I'll air this one. We (PPS) always believed that this feature should be 'free' to LE buyers. Originally Doug had said it would be 3-4 months of work, and I pushed very hard that this should be a benefit to the LE Buyers. Since then it has taken doug many months of two people and even recently we had a fight with myself telling him that especially what everyone had gone thru on waiting for the game and the delays (which by the way were not caused by PPS), that this should be even more reason to offer this for free. Doug does not see this as I think he's far less involved in the pinball community, and this is a disappointment that he does not see this from a customer satisfaction issue when we have delivered (and yet to deliver) so late. So, you can say that Doug and PPS are of very different minds on this, where CGC has invested money in doing this far more than they thought and they are of the mind to recover it thru the customers, PPS does not see it that way, we see that it's a premium priced game and should come that way to the customer. That's about it. I'm not sure we've finished this discussion, but the reason PPS is as involved as it is is that CGC is not involved with the pinball community the way it is expected for them to be. So, we (PPS) get dragged around by saying what we are told and then having that change, etc. But better to communicate what we are told than the alternative which would have been no communication.

Sorry to air such internal dirt, but that is the situation.

That being said, games are shipping and the game other than issues that we find and fix are working well, and very reliable, etc. Any issue that PPS hears of we push and advocate and despite some people like Aurich having no idea of the internal relationship we do have influence and leverage on what product you see. Please anyone that shows such ignorance about how easy and fun it is to do this project and how somehow we are happy about it, you should be a fly on the wall and see how PPS is advocating to have the best game delivered without all of the delays. But we are not in Chicago and we are not in the front line of the project, that is on Chicago Gaming, so please contact them to tell them how happy you are about it.

I won't follow-up on this thread other than if people need to contact me you know how to call or email me.

And yes, we will all get over this, and MM price bubble has burst (but we will have lots of replacement parts that were otherwise not avaiable) due to MMR and MMR features will be a good standard for these types of remakes, sorry, but that is what will happen.

Best,
Rick

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Thanks for the quote; Love it.
"likely" and "this is the goal" kind of contradicts "it will be an free LE upgrade".

MMr buyers really were promised nothing - tons of wiggle room in those statements and it really should have been obvious to everyone. It's the same old bullshit...if it's not in writing, just assume worst case scenario. I've been around long enough to know you can never assume anything else. That being said it kinda blows...as we've seen time and time again people with money to burn and unbridled enthusiasm in this hobby are simply always being set up for some kind of con. People want to believe and then they get screwed, over and over. It sucks to see really.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Some people paid $400 for color Popeye.

One had a ColorDMD in Popeye for 2 years before it was colored not even expecting it to be done.

MMrLE People were expecting it to be done.

#78 8 years ago
#79 8 years ago

So Rick wants it to be free, but it's costing a lot more to develop than originally thought, and CGC has to recoup costs. CGC is driving the bus so it likely won't be free.

Best outcome would likely be to make the update good enough (over and beyond what colorDMD does) that customers won't mind as much paying for it. Rick, any chance of CGC releasing a couple screenshots so at least folks know what they're working on?

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

No sorry, I'll air this one. We (PPS) always believed that this feature should be 'free' to LE buyers. Originally Doug had said it would be 3-4 months of work, and I pushed very hard that this should be a benefit to the LE Buyers. Since then it has taken doug many months of two people and even recently we had a fight with myself telling him that especially what everyone had gone thru on waiting for the game and the delays (which by the way were not caused by PPS), that this should be even more reason to offer this for free. Doug does not see this as I think he's far less involved in the pinball community, and this is a disappointment that he does not see this from a customer satisfaction issue when we have delivered (and yet to deliver) so late. So, you can say that Doug and PPS are of very different minds on this, where CGC has invested money in doing this far more than they thought and they are of the mind to recover it thru the customers, PPS does not see it that way, we see that it's a premium priced game and should come that way to the customer. That's about it.

Will it be a software or hardware update?

If it's software, there's ZERO WAY it won't be cracked (if it has any encryption at all)...and everyone will get it for free anyway. CGC will just look like assholes.

#81 8 years ago
#82 8 years ago

Who is gonna crack and release it? Very small audience for this... you're right it will be cracked, probably for fun/challenge, but probably not distributed.

It sounds like CGC already has the platform for secure upgrades in place. Heck, I'm curious how similar the guts of an Arcade Legend are to the MMR board...

#83 8 years ago

Well that didn't take long for this or any other thread with MMr in the title to become this pro vs anti MMr love hate bash. The usual suspects are attracted to them like flies to sh*t. I really don't understand why people who don't even own an MMr or have an order on the way seem to feel the need to spew their brand of hatred for this machine. You will know who they are by the thumbs down they will give this post. The only commonality I can see is that they own an original or soon to be remade original and watched as the trending price of their precious originals dropped. Bashing MMr is not going to bring the MM prices back up, sorry you speculated and lost.
Back on topic. I think there is great potential for them to do a much better version of colorizing than color DMD with smaller pixels etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

I thumbs downed your post because you are guilty of the same thing you accuse others of, "spewing your own brand of hatred". Step down off your soap box and chill out! It's only pinball dude and last time I checked it supposed to be fun

#84 8 years ago
#85 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

No sorry, I'll air this one. We (PPS) always believed that this feature should be 'free' to LE buyers. Originally Doug had said it would be 3-4 months of work, and I pushed very hard that this should be a benefit to the LE Buyers. Since then it has taken doug many months of two people and even recently we had a fight with myself telling him that especially what everyone had gone thru on waiting for the game and the delays (which by the way were not caused by PPS), that this should be even more reason to offer this for free. Doug does not see this as I think he's far less involved in the pinball community, and this is a disappointment that he does not see this from a customer satisfaction issue when we have delivered (and yet to deliver) so late. So, you can say that Doug and PPS are of very different minds on this, where CGC has invested money in doing this far more than they thought and they are of the mind to recover it thru the customers, PPS does not see it that way, we see that it's a premium priced game and should come that way to the customer. That's about it. I'm not sure we've finished this discussion, but the reason PPS is as involved as it is is that CGC is not involved with the pinball community the way it is expected for them to be. So, we (PPS) get dragged around by saying what we are told and then having that change, etc. But better to communicate what we are told than the alternative which would have been no communication.
That being said, games are shipping and the game other than issues that we find and fix are working well, and very reliable, etc. Any issue that PPS hears of we push and advocate and despite some people like Aurich having no idea of the internal relationship we do have influence and leverage on what product you see. Please anyone that shows such ignorance about how easy and fun it is to do this project and how somehow we are happy about it, you should be a fly on the wall and see how PPS is advocating to have the best game delivered without all of the delays. But we are not in Chicago and we are not in the front line of the project, that is on Chicago Gaming, so please contact them to tell them how happy you are about it.
I won't follow-up on this thread other than if people need to contact me you know how to call or email me.
And yes, we will all get over this, and MM price bubble has burst (but we will have lots of replacement parts that were otherwise not avaiable) due to MMR and MMR features will be a good standard for these types of remakes, sorry, but that is what will happen.
Best,
Rick

All starkyness aside, thank you Rick for a solid, and non-defensive answer.

#86 8 years ago

Soooo any news on them coin mechs?

#87 8 years ago

So basically Rick knew this presumably all along? Everytime we have asked he basically said he didnt know and that I should call CGC. If PPS really wants to do right by the community they will eat the cost for their customers. They cannot make CGC give it away but they can discount their purchase price.

#88 8 years ago

So is this the 6th or 7th "OUCH" regarding MMr… lost count.

#89 8 years ago

I don't know why certain people insist you can only have an opinion on something if you own it. That's a false premise. Also, discussing the non-free now color upgrade is on topic if you read the topic.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Best,
Rick

CGC maybe making them but as the licenser, you control who gets to make the next one. Provided CGC stands to make money on this endeavor, I would like to think your (PPS's) desires on this matter carry significantly more weight than your post suggests. Surely they didn't design all new hardware without the hopes of multiple titles being remade if this was a success. Further, if CGC is truly the driver of this car, then they need to get their ass out if front of the pin community and sell their wares themselves (and go on record for what features are included in the sale price) or beat cheeks down the road. This perpetual passing of the buck between pps and CGC is offensive and insulting.

#91 8 years ago
#92 8 years ago

I wonder if it will just be Stern and PPS on game #2?
Seems like the way to go since CGC has bottlenecked this whole project it appears.
I wonder if Spike would be able to Emulate the WMS board-set?

Kudos to Rick for addressing this so quickly!

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I want MMr to be in LIVING color!

nbc.jpg

Anyone here remember the Mad Magazine knock-off of TV Guide ( IIRC, it was TV Guise )? On the back cover there was an ad for a color teevee or something and they spoofed the NBC Peacock by having a bunch of dripping ice cream cones in different colors with something like "Howard Johnson's: 28 Flavors. Those of you from the Northeast where HOJO's was most popular might remember.

I can't find it on the 'net.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Kudos to Rick for addressing this so quickly!

What??? He got outed! He addressed nothing! Man, some of you guys…

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Will it be a software or hardware update?
If it's software, there's ZERO WAY it won't be cracked (if it has any encryption at all)...and everyone will get it for free anyway. CGC will just look like assholes.

This is great news since the Color DMD guys get $399.00 for List Price buyers <cough>, <cough> which includes hardware and software; Since the MMR's already have a color display, the upgrade will no doubt be much less than this. Maybe a mid-two digit figure. Plus shipping and handling though.

#96 8 years ago
#97 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wonder about the shit storm when they actually do announce how much it will cost.

Oh, sorry, O-din...I didn't recognize you without the dog.

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

What??? He got outed! He addressed nothing! Man, some of you guys…

He cleared stated. " That's about it. I'm not sure we've finished this discussion,"
Meaning there was not a final decision yet... Why would a good business person cause a mass panic for something that may or may not occur..?

#99 8 years ago

Really unfortunate to see a manufacturer (PPS) throw one of it's suppliers (Doug) under the bus by airing their dirty laundry publicly.

PPS should simply have said that THEY underestimated the work and they unfortunately can't throw it in for free, however they are going to sell it at their "cost" (in an attempt to meet the community half way).

Software takes time/money...any implication that the software will be pirated if it isn't "free" is counterproductive. Not a good way to attract software talent to the pinball community!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 45.00
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 9.95
$ 29.95
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.