(Topic ID: 136653)

MMr - Colorization Pricing and Availability...Finally!

By eharan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

556441-2 (resized).jpg
Medieval Madness Color (resized).jpg
Trolls color (resized).jpg
Damsels color (resized).jpg
Tall And Fat (resized).jpg
IMG_2328 (resized).JPG
PPS (resized).jpg
ptb (resized).jpg
Dale Carnegie Jr (resized).PNG
IMG_2327 (resized).JPG
20160820_110220 (resized).jpg
MMRLE-dmd-shift-1 (resized).jpg
dumb-and-dumber-to-sea-bass-sequel-fbpic_(resized).jpg
Phone_(resized).jpg
belushi-1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 50.
#501 8 years ago
Quoted from Warbound:

Is the cabinet as stout, or better, than original?

The cabinet and playfield are made by the same company that made the original, CCC.

The new cab is stronger/stiffer, because it has a real Plywood bottom, not crapboard like the original.

The circuit boards are different, as is the modern, efficient, power supply.

The clearcoat is better on the MMr playfield.

The MMr cabinet has decals, so that is certainly NOT as good or durable as the original silkscreened cab.

Most of the mechs are exactly the same, but some, like the flippers, are stronger and can now can be software controlled.

The sound is clearer on the MMr.

The LED lights will probably never burn out in your lifetime on the MMr, and no old lamp sockets either.

The display is in color when it boots up, but then it goes to monochromatic mode in gameplay.

Still a few little bugs to iron out, but I've put a ton of plays on it and it is a worthy successor.

#502 8 years ago

Original has coin mechs as standard, MMr doesn't come with coin mechs...but no normal person cares.

And colorization is coming...octoberish and may or may not be free.

#503 8 years ago

Couple things:

Quoted from vid1900:

Most of the mechs are exactly the same, but some, like the flippers, are stronger and can now can be software controlled.

Based on pics, the flipper mechs themselves look the same as the original. The software can override EOS readings to drive them harder, but the coil, pawl, bat, base, etc are the same as the original game. The drive electronics are not Fliptronics, but instead use the same drive system the other coils get.

Quoted from vid1900:

The LED lights will probably never burn out in your lifetime on the MMr, and no old lamp sockets either.

This true, but also eliminates the ability to customize feature lighting. I believe the GI is socketed LEDs and changeable.

Quoted from vid1900:

Both the cheap speakers, and emulation glitch that is being addressed in a software update, are caveats to this statement.

This is on top of the inability to use a standard DMD, DMD replacement, or color DMD. CGC could leapfrog the original with an awesome color update, but that remains to be seen.

#504 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The cabinet and playfield are made by the same company that made the original, CCC.
The new cab is stronger/stiffer, because it has a real Plywood bottom, not crapboard like the original.
The circuit boards are different, as is the modern, efficient, power supply.
The clearcoat is better on the MMr playfield.
The MMr cabinet has decals, so that is certainly NOT as good or durable as the original silkscreened cab.
The display is in color when it boots up, but then it goes to monochromatic mode in gameplay.
Still a few little bugs to iron out, but I've put a ton of plays on it and it is a worthy successor.

Tx vid1900. Can always count on you for an objective, not subjective, post. Appreciate it. Gratitude to the other thread folks too just discussing/teaching/conversing about the pin. Nobody wants to rain on anyones parade. Just posting and exchanging thoughts is all. Cool thread btw!

#505 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

This is on top of the inability to use a standard DMD, DMD replacement, or color DMD. CGC could leapfrog the original with an awesome color update, but that remains to be seen.

There is a header on the CPU daughter board that is an output for a standard DMD. It is clearly marked as DMD and it is the standard pinout. I asked CG about it and they said it would run a DMD. You'd have to run 5v to the DMD if it is LED, or HV if it is a standard DMD, but from what I've been told you could run a regular DMD on MMR.

#506 8 years ago

It would be kinda neat to try a real DMD in a MMR if this is true. Any1 want to try?

#507 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

There is a header on the CPU daughter board that is an output for a standard DMD. It is clearly marked as DMD and it is the standard pinout. I asked CG about it and they said it would run a DMD. You'd have to run 5v to the DMD if it is LED, or HV if it is a standard DMD, but from what I've been told you could run a regular DMD on MMR.

You could, but there is zero reason to do it.

#508 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You could, but there is zero reason to do it.

I agree. My point was to correct inaccurate information. And to point out that it (probably) could be done. You could probably run a ColorDMD if you run 12v to it.

I have an LED DMD and I've wanted to try it, but my game is on location and I'm not going to spend the time messing with it.

#509 8 years ago
Quoted from Warbound:

I am new to the whole MM and MMr scene. Quick question and please, please believe me I am not trolling...not into wasting other peoples time like that. Anyway, question is on a part per part basis, are they the same or near the same? I mean if the original MM had a plastic ramp thickness of 3mm, does MMr have the same? Is the cabinet as stout, or better, than original? Stuff like that. I learned a lot from you thread gurus about other tech items between the two, ty for that. I am interested in picking up an MM or MMr down the road, I am a non tech guy. I do not understand all the coil pulse lingo. I do understand the metric system (and imperial)...so does anyone know if things were "sized down" to trim costs or in general are the parts as robust, or maybe even better for any given area on the pin? Are they thinner as an example?
Thank you in advance everyone! I do not have access to either one to compare myself. Nor have I played either one ever. But it would not be the first time I was attracted to a game without playing it first! Word of mouth and Pinside forums are very powerful in information regarding a pin before you even walk up to it!!!

The ramps and wood and mechs are as solid or more solid than the original. From a player's point of view I think the vast majority find it at least as good. There are some minor cosmetic improvements such as LEDs and a shaker motor. Underneath, the electronics are all new. Nobody can know whether they will prove to be more reliable or not yet, but the core of the system is the Beaglebone Black development platform, a very reliable and relatively powerful system that is a proven commodity in many other applications.

#510 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Would it know what to do with the signal, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you could run an HD source into a DMD and have it displayed in dots. The MMr video output is technically an HD source for the LCD monitor, even if its display appears to be dots. I don't think it would work. It may be capable - but I don't think it would actually work.

#511 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Is there a setting to designate the DMD output , or are both display outs always on?

#512 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Would it know what to do with the signal, though?

There is a separate header marked DMD with the standard pins that outputs the standard data used by a DMD (I believe). It isn't the data used by the LCD display. That is a different HDMI connector.

#513 8 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Is there a setting to designate the DMD output , or are both display outs always on?

No settings in the menu that I've seen, I don't know if the DMD header is always outputting data. It would be fun to mess with but it isn't going to be me doing it anytime soon.

#514 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

No settings in the menu that I've seen, I don't know if the DMD header is always outputting data. It would be fun to mess with but it isn't going to be me doing it anytime soon.

Heck I'll mess with it if I ever get mine. It looks like a standard DMD header, and is labeled as such. Question is if the software is actually dumping dots to it or not.

#515 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Would it know what to do with the signal, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you could run a HD source into a DMD and have it displayed in dots. The MMr video output is technically an HD source for the LCD monitor, even if its display appears to be dots. I don't think it would work. It may be capable - but I don't think it would actually work.

You can't run a hd signal to a dmd. But, they could be putting standard dmd data out on those pins. That wouldn't be hard to do. I don't know this to be a fact but it's very possible. It would be interesting to hook up a stern led dmd and see if the tearing problem is still there. The output on a real dmd might be fine. Fun experiment.

#516 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

It would be interesting to hook up a stern led dmd and see if the tearing problem is still there.

Unfortunately by the time I saw the header, my game was out of the house and on location. I also didn't have an LED DMD at the time as I do now. If I still had the game at home, I'd try messing with it.

#517 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

The ramps and wood and mechs are as solid or more solid than the original. From a player's point of view I think the vast majority find it at least as good. There are some minor cosmetic improvements such as LEDs and a shaker motor. Underneath, the electronics are all new. Nobody can know whether they will prove to be more reliable or not yet, but the core of the system is the Beaglebone Black development platform, a very reliable and relatively powerful system that is a proven commodity in many other applications.

Ty Pez! That is really what interested me since I can understand it. Material appearance...thickness...if it appears robust, I get that stuff and appreciate your feedback! I actually printed yours, vid's and some other guru posts here for future reference. I am an old 8 1/2 by 11 kinda guy lol...have old eyes too so I enlarged the font. Anyway, tx! Someday I hope to understand all the guru talk about coil pulse stuff but that is a ways off for me. I really like the fact that MM was remade. The fact that it was must mean it is worthy and a great game! I do not know how one could dispute that, even without playing it like me. Facts are facts! You MMr and MM owners should be very proud owning this beauty. One day I may be able to join the club Again ty!

#518 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've only played Capcom's Kingpin a couple of times, but it does have a mode where the flippers become weaker and weaker before you "die".
Hopefully CGC can utilize a feature like this in MMr 2.0
Ramp up the Amperage, Voltage, Pulse Duration or Frequency for 10 seconds for a "Super Flipper Mode", or ramp down the strength for a "Tis only a flesh wound Mode".
The possibilities are endless for creative minds.

yes, i know Kingpin does it. I stated that it does. I'm saying none of the the production games utilize that ability.

#519 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, i know Kingpin does it. I stated that it does. I'm saying none of the the production games utilize that ability.

Gotcha.

#520 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

People should really stop throwing around this $300 upgrade price... that's a hardware cost figure, and there is no hardware with this upgrade.
I've followed this project from the beginning and never got the impression that colorization was promised as a free upgrade, but I know where the confusion lies... a) Rick stated that he wanted it to be a free upgrade, and b) Stern gives all their software upgrades for free. However it's been clear for about 1.5 years now, that Rick was never given decision maker authority in this project, it's all CG.
I do believe that if a company is going to do a remake they should make an effort to improve on the game. Colorization would fit that value-add model... But in this situation my gut tells me that CG may have invested more time than they expected in the colorization, driving them to reconsider the free upgrade. Perhaps they've paid out out months of salary to colorize it when they should have licensed it from the ColorDMD folks for pennies on the dollar. ColorDMD wouldn't lose out on any sales as their system is not compatible with MMr (and likely will never be.. no hardware to sell, and no access to MMr code), and most ColorDMD projects are done with free labor. But that's all speculation on my part.

300 should be ignored colorDMD is 400.

#521 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Because the ability is already built into the new CGC system. No new hardware is required.
So if you are writing new rules anyway, you might as well use features that were never available to the old programmers with those old flipper circuits.
You could have a mode where you fight the "Black Knight", each time you miss a shot, your flippers become a little weaker. Make a shot and the Black Knight loses an arm, leg, penis, whatever - until either you or the knight are defeated.

I thought the whole point was to get a MM.Now we are rewriting the rules.Why not just design a game with new rules.

The whole premise of a reissue is being washed out with what is being called "minor cosmetic improvements' and now rule changes."LEDS and shaker motors were not in the original game.These were added.Brian Eddy did not design the game for a shaker motor.IMHO only games that the designer wanted one should have a shaker.Especially if you are reissuing a classic.

In guitar world,older, vintage is always better.Not everyone can afford or find one, similar to MM.So Fender and Gibson do reissues.And they build them as close to 1962 or 59 or 65 or whatever AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE.Because they know the customer wants as close to NOS as possible.

If I was buying a reissue anything, thats what I would want.All this other stuff is subjective and up to the individual.

#522 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I thought the whole point was to get a MM.Now we are rewriting the rules.Why not just design a game with new rules.
The whole premise of a reissue is being washed out with what is being called "minor cosmetic improvements' and now rule changes."LEDS and shaker motors were not in the original game.These were added.Brian Eddy did not design the game for a shaker motor.IMHO only games that the designer wanted one should have a shaker.Especially if you are reissuing a classic.
In guitar world,older, vintage is always better.Not everyone can afford or find one, similar to MM.So Fender and Gibson do reissues.And they build them as close to 1962 or 59 or 65 or whatever AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE.Because they know the customer wants as close to NOS as possible.
If I was buying a reissue anything, thats what I would want.All this other stuff is subjective and up to the individual.

I do not care one iota how close to the original the remake is. I'm in favor of any changes that are improvements. I want a Medeival Madness because it's one of the most fun pinball games ever made, not because of some sad obsession with the past.

#524 8 years ago

LEDS and shaker motors were not in the original game.These were added.Brian Eddy did not design the game for a shaker motor.IMHO only games that the designer wanted one should have a shaker.Especially if you are reissuing a classic.

I was a bit worried about how well the shaker would integrate, now I can't imagine the game without it.

#525 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I do not care one iota how close to the original the remake is. I'm in favor of any changes that are improvements. I want a Medeival Madness because it's one of the most fun pinball games ever made, not because of some sad obsession with the past.

Dont assume I have a "sad" obsession with the past and I won't assume leds and shaker motors are an improvement.
they might be improvements for you,but like I said thats subjective.

Let me say that i was all for remakes as in reissues.You say you wanted an MM.Did you get one?Or did you get a "reimagined" one?

#526 8 years ago

You're not taking into account that games had to meet a budget. MM was an expensive game to make. It's likely there was no more budget for a shaker motor. LEDs weren't available when the game was made. When we first showed Nucore to Larry DeMar have mentioned that they wanted an LCD panel instead of a CRT but at the time it was cost prohibitive.

#527 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

I agree. My point was to correct inaccurate information. And to point out that it (probably) could be done. You could probably run a ColorDMD if you run 12v to it.

This would definitely be worth trying, as it would make the original colorDMD available to LE owners if it worked.

#528 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

You're not taking into account that games had to meet a budget

As a consumer I don't care what PPS budget is.All I know is i need 8K to buy what is being marketed as a "reissue."

#529 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

The problem with your argument is that there is no way to know any of the things changed are improvements. Its a completely untested (in the wild, I'm sure they tested internally) platform. Its not like they took a system 9 or 11 game and reproduced with WPC hardware where you know that WC hardware works. No one will know how this hardware will hold up. Hopefully it will do well, but that's to be seen.

#530 8 years ago

As a consumer I don't care what PPS budget is.All I know is i need 8K to buy what is being marketed as a "reissue."

You're basically saying I don't care about reality.. just give me what I want.

As a customer, you are not insultated from budgets... because you pay a price, which is tied to budgets, margins, and COGs.

#531 8 years ago

Dont assume I have a "sad" obsession with the past and I won't assume leds and shaker motors are an improvement.

why do you think i said you did? i thought you didn't want a MMR. i was talking about your characterization that people would only want remakes if they were 100% identical to the original, which i think is a faulty premise and doesnt reflect most MMR buyers.

they might be improvements for you,but like I said thats subjective.
Let me say that i was all for remakes as in reissues.You say you wanted an MM.Did you get one?Or did you get a "reimagined" one?

cmon, of course it's a medieval madness. the gameplay is identical. look man, it's a pinball machine, not some mystic platonic ideal. i am interested in owning and playing a super fun pinball machine, and if the new one adds features, awesome.

Quoted from hlazzer:

The problem with your argument is that there is no way to know any of the things changed are improvements. Its a completely untested (in the wild, I'm sure they tested internally) platform. Its not like they took a system 9 or 11 game and reproduced with WPC hardware where you know that WC hardware works. No one will know how this hardware will hold up. Hopefully it will do well, but that's to be seen.

you misunderstand me. i'm not saying whether or not any particular feature on MMR is an improvement. i'm saying if something is an improvement, then i'm for it (it's a hypothetical). i'm arguing against jackofdiamonds' assertion that any deviation is automatically bad because it is different from the original. i agree that with you that the new system has some unknowns, and that in the abstract not all changes are automatically good.

#532 8 years ago

You missed the point. Maybe Brian didn't have budget for a shaker and would have used one if he did. I'll actually ask him. Secondly, Color LEDs like we have today weren't around back then.

#533 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You're basically saying I don't care about reality.. just give me what I want.
As a customer, you are not insultated from budgets... because you pay a price, which is tied to budgets, margins, and COGs.

Absolutely.I agree

But I have no control over what PPs does in their budget meetings.All I can do is pay their price.I have no control over their budget and therefore do not concern myself with it.Its not like they are going to change their price based on some kind of input from me/us/pinball community.

#534 8 years ago

It would be cool if you could choose between MM 2.0 or OG when the game boots up...

#535 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

any deviation is automatically bad because it is different from the original. i

I meant that its up to the owner.Not necessarily bad.

I just felt that a "reissue" is more or less close to an original.I understand you liking LEDS and Shakers.Im really on the owners side as far as doing whatever you want to your game.

This all started when vid suggested rule changes,which is really taking out of the remake model,IMHO

#536 8 years ago

This all started when vid suggested rule changes,which is really taking out of the remake model,IMHO

my bad, i missed that part.

#537 8 years ago

I just felt that a "reissue" is more or less close to an original.I understand you liking LEDS and Shakers.Im really on the owners side as far as doing whatever you want to your game.

Unplug the shaker or buy a Standard - it doesn't come with it.

LED's fade like incandescent, so it's kind of a non-issue.

#538 8 years ago

The MMr has the exact same rules as the 20 year old MM.

But Rick said that they were now cleared by WMS to be able to write a second set of rules (and maybe Funhouse 2.0 was mentioned?).

The game would dual boot. Old MM or MM 2.0.

Don't buy the LE if you don't want a shaker.

Or if you bought an LE by accident, just turn the shaker off.

BUT, I'm telling you from playing many games of MMr, the shaker adds greatly to the game experience - and you are cheating yourself if you turn it off.

This is not some bootleg "vintage" guitar.

This is a modern version of one of the most beloved games of all time, by one of the greatest designers of all time.

No modern customer wants Williams crappy DiamondPlate clearcoat.

No modern customer wants mono sound.

No modern customer wants a crapboard cabinet bottom.

No modern customer wants a monochromatic DMD.

99% of customers want a shaker - because it's super fun.

95% of customers would want an entire new game option that would allow new ideas, deep rules, better lighting integration and other modern tricks that were unavailable to Eddy 20 years ago.

How cool would it be if PPS brought Eddy in to design the new rules?

#539 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How cool would it be if PPS brought Eddy in to design the new rules?

This would be awesome (and in general, it'd be awesome if someone could get Eddy back into pinball). That said, I'm not sure MM is the game calling out for a "2.0" version, the gameplay and code are well recognized as some of the best of all time. But for other remakes down the pike, including an alternate "2.0" version (preferably with input from the original designers) could be a significant selling point.

#540 8 years ago

Im in the 1% on the shaker.

Im in the 5% on the rules.I like it as is.

#541 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This is not some bootleg "vintage" guitar.

They are made by the same co. that invented them.Not bootleg.If this comparison stood up,PPS would be the bootlegger,since they are not B/W.

None of this matters,I want those who have their games to love them.My point was as a remake, I and only I,would be expecting something closer to an original.

All the things you are suggesting vid,are great for those who want them,but they weren't part of the original game.

This is not good nor bad.Its up to the owner.Its starting to sound like a heavily modded MM.Rather than a straight up remake.IMHO.

#542 8 years ago

Im in the 1% on the shaker.
Im in the 5% on the rules.I like it as is.

That's not a problem at all, is it?

#543 8 years ago

I and only I,would be expecting something closer to an original.

With that crappy decalled cab, good clearcoat and stereo sound, no one is ever going to mistake the MMr for an original.

Sorry.

#544 8 years ago

All the things you are suggesting vid,are great for those who want them,but they weren't part of the original game.

Time moves on and things change for the better.

I can buy a new "bootleg" Bösendorfer piano, but it won't have ivory keys like the old ones - and that's a good thing.

#545 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

that . I want a Medeival Madness because it's one of the most fun pinball games ever made, not because of some sad obsession with the past.

Do you not see the irony in your post here?

#546 8 years ago

UnEjected!!!!! Fuck yeah!

So id really like to play a MMr when its local to me as Im considering buying one (used....down the road) I wouldn't mind an average condition original if MMr doesn't live up to my expectations.

Hope you all get your free colorization! Something tells me you won't and there will be a bunch of finger pointing by the multiple manufacturers. I want to be wrong on that.

Carpe Diem!

#547 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No modern customer wants ......crappy ..... clearcoat.
No modern customer wants mono sound.
No modern customer wants a crapboard cabinet bottom.
No modern customer wants a monochromatic DMD.

No modern customer wants Stern?

#548 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Time moves on and things change for the better.

its cool vid!!!!

sorry my tastes are old school
probably because Im old

In my day if you wanted an interactive topper you had to staple the cat to the top of the machine

#549 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No modern customer wants Stern?

Sterns are in stereo now (haven't you heard?), and their clearcoats are much better than Williams' DiamondPlate.

#550 8 years ago

For the record. I asked Brian the following question:

So, the question of the day. If you could have put a shaker motor in MM would you have? Were you budget restricted or just didn't think of using one?

His response:

LOL - I did actually have one in the ordinal design for castle hits and the castle being destroyed. BUT I knew it would not make it because of cost. The material cost of a pin was always a battle so you always put a couple things in that would be cool that you knew you could "give up" to appease the money people.

And just for the record I guessed correctly

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-bad-news-on-colorization/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.