9C3D70C2-74F8-4976-BF46-4CCB358F95ED (resized).jpeg
db8ae21c1fb11be199b651a559856849ce2cc1d0.png (resized).jpg
b0542f34c415d82d332f106cef32569bfebe1dd5 (resized).jpg
inconceivable (resized).jpg
post (resized).JPG
F36C7D82-6837-4E05-9DCE-9E45B466E428 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200724-150800_Chrome (resized).jpg
47A75E61-189F-429D-A120-EF8279C6AE51 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

There's alot of smoke and mirrors surrounding this title. Such an aura of high desirability and deep satisfaction. Yet, a surprisingly high number are for sale (out of a low production run?!) It's not hard to acquire one.
Would love to know the true, behind the scenes story, not the one they spin, nor everyone's speculation. The idea that they cut production short because there are too many of other great titles to get to doesn't make sense to me.

There are a few LEs for sale or trade that are not exactly flying off the shelf. I doubt they will make more, parts may be an issue as might cost. Demand really only picked up when people realized supply was being cut.

#217 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I almost considered my Addams Gold for a CE but decided not to. What was I thinking.

I would have done that in a second if it was a straight up trade. Potc is an amazing game. Taf, while very cool, is just not in the same league.

#368 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

please stop trying to lump TNA in.
for a few reasons:
1. It was a small number of total TNA pf that had chipping
2. TNA issue appears to be completely different than what was seen on Beatles, Maiden; and those are different than what is seen on POTC
3. TNA was already rectified by game 420 ish so Spooky is the one that seems to have found the root cause, addressed the issue, and from what it seems... even took care of customers.3
4. it is not doing any of us good to generalize things when there are likely different issues going on at the root cause.
TNA root cause in my opinion was a single human muscle freak that was screwing up in production. Not a systemic issue with pf
STERN issue appears sporadic and limited to primarily 1 of their 3? contracted pf makers which is why it comes and goes, some people are impacted and some are not. It appears to be a ink not bonding combined with too quick of production speed that allows bubbling of art and clear at posts.
JJP issue is 100% a mirco issue. It appears he is doing a very poor job of prepping blanks, the direct print machine is over flooding the ink and that layer is not binding properly, so then the clear is chipping. Chipping clear infers plenty of cure before assembly.
I believe the only commonality is that all three issues were exacerbated by star posts causing greater pressure points now-a-days than how they were jeweled and made in the past. The posts are putting more pressure on the pf from ball impact.

Is it possible the clear is being laid on too thick? I don’t know his process, but a series of very thin coats is better than a few thick coats.

#381 4 years ago

i picked up my LE in this last run and it did not/does not have any clear coat issues. i posted pics earlier in this thread if you want to search for them. it's not every game. As a precaution, however, I did install star posts and put neoprene washers on. I was at the factory this morning getting my wonka and the POTC they had in the lobby also showed no sign of clear coat issues at the sling posts and they had the stock posts on.

Quoted from Psw757:

The difference in all of this is the other MFG’s all use multiple clearcoat providers so it isn’t as apparent especially with Stern as they make a boatload more games per year.
Since JJp is only using Mirco it is literally showing up on every recent machine whether people want to admit it or not, there are many who will say it isn’t happening to their machine just because they want to protect whoever.
Nobody is trying to harm any party with this but there does need to be accountability.
I know of two people personally that got replacement pf’s from Stern due to excessive dimpling and ghosted inserts which is far less severe than all of this chipping.
And guess what? They were free replacements.

#383 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Can only speak from my experience but mine has it and so do the other 5-6 I’ve seen in the wild. Take it for what it’s worth.
Some rarely play their games and let them collect dust, these will obviously fare better.
I play my games.
Do you really expect the game sitting in the lobby to have visible issues? Shit....how would that look for them?

Well, the game was not pristine, it was dirty and had seen some play. They aren't using it as a show piece. I doubt it was hand selected to be in the lobby. the point is not all games have the issues, some do, some don't. I don't think the number of plays is a factor. and 5-6 games you've seen compared to the 1000?? out there is pretty low. Even if it's 50, that's still relatively low, even though it may not be acceptable to those 50.

I haven't opened my wonka yet

3 weeks later
#409 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

My opinion is that the tweaking may be why they don’t produce it again. I have slight playfield issues, and had to replace the launch wireform and the button on the lockdown bar. The autolaunch was a major headache and the screws attaching it to the playfield were “stripped”. Also, don’t forget the damage that the t-nut in the map hole was doing to the balls, which would eventually chew up the playfield unless the problem is rectified. Lots of tweaking past that ... but I would buy it again in a heartbeat. That said, the enormity of dialing in this machine is not for a non-pinhead. I think selling this machine to the masses would be a support nightmare. The team at JJP (Steve and Shannan) have been great, but I am sure it is easier to deal with someone that somewhat knows what they are doing. So, how many more machines can they sell to pinheads? I guess that is the question. Mine is not leaving.

I have a game from the last run and haven’t had to do much at all and don’t have playfield issues. All I’ve really had to do is tighten upper flipper mech, secure a ramp opto and adjust the spotlight under the shooter lane. I haven’t touched the bp. I think that’s really all I’ve done to it.

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I have a late run SE with silicon washers under the sling posts, but it didn’t stop the problem. It appears that all of the issues were still not rectified at the end, but I am happy that you got one that was relatively trouble free. That said, you would certainly be more capable of fixing problems than either me or the general population.

I did put down neoprene washers, just in case. I enjoy tweaking games, most times. When I did put those washers on, the hammer was coming out of the slings so I installed double star posts. This is a pretty complicated game, but the mechs are really not very unusual, uses bw parts and troubleshooting is similar.

8 months later
#545 4 years ago

I find wonka to be better playing than potc too, not quite sure why, but I’d play a game or two of potc and get my fill pretty easily. With wonka, i find my self playing over and over again. It just seems more fun and whimsical to me. That said, if I had a very small collection, I would choose potc as there are just so many ways to play the game, you’d never tire of it.

Never say never, but I do not think potc will be rerun. There wasn’t much demand for the game until they announced production would stop, didn’t have enough parts, it’s a bear to produce on the line, low profit margin (my guess), etc. if I were them, I’d focus on breathing new life into the company with new titles and not focus on the past. I just think they should be moving forward. that said, perhaps they could build up parts over time and do a small vault run down the road.

I’m also not sure the math works well on a rerun relative to a new game. If they can sell potc at $12k and do a run of 250 units, assuming build cost is $7k (I have no idea what it is, just making it up), that’s $1.25 mil ($5k margin x250 units) profit before taxes, interest, whatever else comes out. Even if they ran 500 units, it’s still only about $2.5 mil. Don’t think that that keeps the lights on.

If they make a new game, charge $9500 with a build cost of say $5k and sell 2000 units (easier said than done of course), that’s $9 mil ($4.5k margin x 2000 units). No way they should be making potc. You can adjust the variables as you wish, but Im pretty sure it will be more profitable to be running new games. Woz is different because there seemed to be insatiable demand, but I don’t think potc is in that same situation. As these examples show, it’s critical they keep costs under control (and margins up) and sell in volume, yet still build the best games out there as they’ve been doing.

#550 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I've often wondered what kind of margins they have on these games...do you really think its $4500 on a $9500 game? In general business terms those margins suck, but in pinball their decent ? If the margins are pretty low than it becomes a volume game, which would explain why JJP has struggled financially (I'm guessing)...I hope they turn the corner, because they make great games and are great for the industry.

I don’t know the margins, I had thought initially they were losing money on Woz when it was being sold for $6500. Based on that, I’d think they got margins down a bit from that and raised prices so I think maybe I’m in the ballpark. I could be totally wrong, though. my example was purely illustrative and shows the need to be producing in volume, not building 250-500 units of potc.

#556 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Makes sense....which is why Stern is so successful

yeah, I think the one of the stern distros stated the build cost for a game was in the neighborhood of $3k against a pro street price of around $5500. I'd guess stern premium and LEs have slightly higher build costs, but margins are significantly higher.

#562 4 years ago

they won't make much money doing a run of 250-500 potc. Unlikely potc ever gets rerun unless demand is considerably higher, and I doubt it is, and/or they can get the margin up/build cost down. Otherwise it doesn't make sense financially. They are better off moving to the next cornerstone game and getting sales volumes up.

3 weeks later
#599 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, the "contact your distributor" comment from JJP staff and from the JJP Facebook page is definitely new. Keith said the same thing in his Buffalo Pinball interview a few days back. When asked about why Pirates production stopped Keith mentioned that there simply wasn't any demand for the game at the time. He said a decision about whether or not to order more parts had to be made and that demand only went up when they pulled the game from production.

It won’t happen. Jjp would be foolish to do a run based on “expressed demand”. They will also need to charge north of $12k to make a run work, particularly if it’s a small run. My guess is PL won’t allow it.

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:Do you know the BOM of POTC? Do you know how much they will make? Pretty sure you dont and JJP does. If it makes financial sense, why wouldnt they rerun. The demand is there.
Why do you think WOZ was re-run? People/distributors asked for it.

Pretty sure we can all agree potc bom is the highest among all jjp games. There’s not enough money in potc to make financial sense for small runs. Do the math, even with rough estimates. They are better off moving to new games where bom is lower and they can sell more units. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe this will be remade. Investors run the show now, they want to make money. Producing potc in small runs doesn’t do it.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Have to agree. It’s a simple petition of sorts. If people would like to see it done just let your distributors know. A wish list of 500 or so would certainly get their attention.

Not sure about that. They need to be producing titles with lower bom and higher unit volume. It’s not enough to make $4-5k on 500 units when they could devote resources to make $5k on 1500+ units on a new title. I also doubt there is demand for 500 units at $10-12k.

#651 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

People need to just click on the collections of those defenders that "the game will never get made", "it will be 12.5 k if it does", etc...
It is laughably predictable.

I don’t own one.

#682 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Why does Stern re-rerun games instead of concentrating on new ones? Because they can make money.

Because they can rerun the games at the same or lower cost of the original and charge more for them. Iron man was how much at initial release? How much was the first vault? Second vault? Stern also has capacity to make many games at once. Jjp doesn’t have that luxury and they aren’t in the same financial position to take risks like stern. Stern can also recycle parts across games as the games are relatively generic, not so with jjp games. It’s not a good comparison.

I don’t have any inside info here, I’m just trying think logically about this. I think if Jack were running the show, with his heart, you’d see more potc made, and that would be a good thing. With these investors and Pats alleged distaste for the game, I think it’s very unlikely it gets revisited. Reducing costs and generating revenue through volume is likely the model they will pursue.

1 month later
#1054 3 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

One argument against a remake is that they would be competing with themselves and their new releases. GNR and Toy Story would have to compete with POTC for sales and assembly line time. The market for JJP games is smaller than that of a stern pro and in some ways they could be their own worst enemy.
But if there is a real chance to make additional $$$ then they should absolutely make it happen. Hopefully they have some insight into what potential sales could be.

This has been my view. They are running this as a business and should be producing games that net them the largest margins so that they can fund future games, not satisfy a few hundred people at lower margins. If they run POTC again, they will need to raise the price substantially and/or find a way to reduce costs. I have my doubts it will ever be rerun. Is the license an issue? It could also be that once people see GnR and TS, they will forget all about POTC.

WOZ YBR basically had the same or lower build cost, yet they raised the price significantly. I'd expect the same for any rerun of POTC.

#1060 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm of the opinion that is exactly why they stopped POTC... low margins and believing 'once you see wonka you'll forget all about POTC...' - but we saw how that actually went.

i think/hope GNR will be different since Eric is on it and I am looking forward to getting one. I am probably in the minority, but I sold my POTC and don't miss it, Wonka has remained and I love playing it more than I did POTC.

I don't know who is doing TS, but that theme has huge potential.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc?tu=Lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.