(Topic ID: 306605)

Edit: Whoo-Boy the new Matrix movie is ok after all.

By TheFamilyArcade

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 301 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does this movie suck ass?”

• Yeah. 100% ass suckage. 73 votes
      62%
    • No (I’m wrong, but “no”) 18 votes
      15%
    • Eh, wasn’t so bad. 27 votes
      23%

(Multiple choice - 118 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TV hung 1 (resized).jpg
    571B7FB7-48B5-4A8B-AED2-9CCFDE43AB49.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    apron03 (resized).jpg
    apron03 (resized).jpg
    f276123fa279fa48 (resized).jpg
    5z4vx4 (resized).jpg
    milk-face-adult-woman-her-head-covered-38625518 (resized).jpg
    f9d.gif
    There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
    #251 2 years ago

Yep..my review. Go see The King’s Man or Spider-Man instead.

The Matrix Resurrections - Movie Review | SPOILERS

#252 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Even the creator, Alan Moore, said that the Wachowski’s mutilated, and butchered his story. They changed ALL the characters and made it a US-centric political hack job.
    I enjoy V for Vendetta and the action scenes, especially the final fight is bad to the bone! But phenomenal choreography alone doesn’t prop up a shite story. Matrix: Reloaded being a relevant example. More fights, bigger fights, more “powers” on display, movie was still a stinker because the story lost its way and forgot what it was about.

Calling Vendetta a 'hack job'... Not sure it gets more delusional. Let me guess, you're offended and bitter that the Wachowskis have called out some of your tragic political heroes?

#253 2 years ago

I think it was a well made movie with some good changes to the tone. The central love story worked well surprisingly. I don't see how they could have pulled it off better. 8/10 worth a watch.

#254 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Agree with your take on this. Furiosa was good, I had no problem with that character. But man I wanted to see Mad Max kick some ass. That didn’t happen. It just felt like an entire movie of Mad Max being beaten on. It is a visually entertaining movie for sure.

If you are craving some Mad Max, you can always revisit Mad Max and Road Warrior, and to a lesser extent, Thunderdome. The original one never gets old, I have watched that many times. And when you look at the way it was made, all with no CGI, it’s crazy

That's the final straw! I challenge you sir to a good old fashioned duel! You have sullied the good name of not one but two mad Max movies! The Thunderdome has the best one liners of any film and Mad Max Fury Road was one of the best movies that year and since with only 1917 being better.

Matrix Resurrection wasn't bad at all. It definitely had a different tone and pace than the previous films. The machine/robot things living in the real world were a bit deus ex machina but still cool. It felt like with a few tweaks the movie could have been really good.

None of them compare to the original.

#255 2 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

That's the final straw! I challenge you sir to a good old fashioned duel! You have sullied the good name of not one but two mad Max movies! The Thunderdome has the best one liners of any film and Mad Max Fury Road was one of the best movies that year and since with only 1917 being better.
    Matrix Resurrection wasn't bad at all. It definitely had a different tone and pace than the previous films. The machine/robot things living in the real world were a bit deus ex machina but still cool. It felt like with a few tweaks the movie could have been really good.
    None of them compare to the original.

Hah, we’re not that far apart really. Thunderdome was good, I just said to a lesser extent than the first two. Your last comment says it all, none of them compare to the original. That’s why I agree with you on Matrix Resurrection. This one is all about expectations. I went into Fury Road with hope and expectations of a certain level. Same for Matrix 2, Prometheus, and others. It’s a letdown when they fail to capture the original and you are bummed and you end up hating it.

For Resurrection, I went in with a completely different mindset. Given all of the history and circumstances, I knew there was no way in a million years I was going to see an epic revisit of the original film, it just not gonna happen. In fact, the bar was set real low, about as low as it could go. I figured it might even be a complete mess like Cloud Atlas or Jupiter Rising. With those expectations going in, I stand by my original review. It was ok for a night of popcorn entertainment. But in the end, nothing epic and lots of lazy CGI and fighting. Like most recent action movies.

#256 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

It was ok for a night of popcorn entertainment. But in the end, nothing epic and lots of lazy CGI and fighting. Like most recent action movies.

How I felt going in watching Matrix 4- No expectations of a decent movie at all and wasn't disappointed.

I'm more disappointed with the Korean series "The Silent Sea" which started out so great... and in the last episode they jumped the shark so badly it achieved orbital status.

#257 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

But in the end, nothing epic and lots of lazy CGI and fighting. Like most recent action movies

I read, listen, and follow alot of writers as one day I'd like to be a writer and the problem with M4 is the lack of STAKES. There is no war, the agents are disposable, Neo nor Trinity are going to die. So at the end of the day, what is the point?

Alot of movies fall into this trap. By the fourth one, none of the main characters or old characters are going to die. The movie is treated like the first in the series instead of the fourth. The force awakens being the exception but the way they kilt Han Solo was stupid.

#258 2 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I read, listen, and follow alot of writers as one day I'd like to be a writer and the problem with M4 is the lack of STAKES. There is no war, the agents are disposable, Neo nor Trinity are going to die. So at the end of the day, what is the point?
    Alot of movies fall into this trap. By the fourth one, none of the main characters or old characters are going to die.

A problem with prequels is there is no risk to the characters, you know they live.

#259 2 years ago

I hate everything and love to bitch.

Therefore, the new Matrix was awesome!

Also everything else sucks, which is also awesome.

I keep telling y’all, life is good!

(Also to be honest everything looks amazing on my new tv so I don’t really care if it sucks)

#260 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

(Also to be honest everything looks amazing on my new tv so I don’t really care if it sucks

Even if M4 does suck, we all watched it anyways.

#261 2 years ago

Hey! It’s gonna be OK after all! Edited first post to reflect the acceptability of M4!

#262 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Hey! It’s gonna be OK after all! Edited first post to reflect the acceptability of M4!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#263 2 years ago

Plot twist!!!

#264 2 years ago

571B7FB7-48B5-4A8B-AED2-9CCFDE43AB49.gif571B7FB7-48B5-4A8B-AED2-9CCFDE43AB49.gif
    #265 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Wha….what?! Keanu’s acting in this movie is the absolute worst I’ve ever seen. They might as well have saved a few bucks and recast Neo with Tommy Wisseau.

Well, I suppose it has to do if you think he can act all. For me he did his normal job. I prefer Bill and Teds, TBH.

#267 2 years ago

I'm surprised by the number of people defending the movie lately, like the movie will get better if you're convinced it's good. Remember that feeling when you saw the first matrix? How it blew you away and you enjoyed every second of it and immediately knew it was one of your favorite movies and you had to see it again right away? Compare that with how you felt watching this latest movie.

A great movie doesn't need time and reflection to convince you it's good. You know right away. Movies rarely get better over time, and of the few that do, this is definitely not one of them.

#268 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I'm surprised by the number of people defending the movie lately, like the movie will get better if you're convinced it's good. Remember that feeling when you saw the first matrix? How it blew you away and you enjoyed every second of it and immediately knew it was one of your favorite movies and you had to see it again right away? Compare that with how you felt watching this latest movie.
    A great movie doesn't need time and reflection to convince you it's good. You know right away. Movies rarely get better over time, and of the few that do, this is definitely not one of them.

This is one of those movies where the plot holes just magnify over time as you dwell over the story.

Like someone else stated, NPH whining "how much money" was involved in the 2 main characters being rejuvenated.

Laughable when you think about it.

#269 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Remember that feeling when you saw the first matrix? How it blew you away and you enjoyed every second of it and immediately knew it was one of your favorite movies and you had to see it again right away?

I fell asleep in the theater. Granted it was a late show. I still ended up loving and rewatching it many times.

#270 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Like someone else stated, NPH whining "how much money" was involved in the 2 main characters being rejuvenated.

Money is the same as resources. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

#271 2 years ago

This movie only makes sense as a meta commentary on the previous films and their production and reception. Why would anyone who enjoys the other films want another entry in the series that just craps all over the other movies? If you want to talk about this meta stuff, write an essay or make a documentary or something. Don't just change the cannon of the movies to ruin them because you're unhappy with how things played out behind the scenes.

No movie that requires footnotes about what happened behind the scenes to understand the themes is a good movie. This is career angst played out on the big screen. The more I think about this movie, the more I hate it.

#272 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I've seen a few movies where my initial impression was poor, but upon a later re-watch it didn't seem quite as bad.

I don't think M4 is one of those cases.

Quoted from seenev:

Remember that feeling when you saw the first matrix? How it blew you away and you enjoyed every second of it and immediately knew it was one of your favorite movies and you had to see it again right away? Compare that with how you felt watching this latest movie.

It was a complete drag.

With a good, fun movie, I'll have interest in seeing it again shortly after the first viewing. With M4 I have zero desire to watch it again anytime soon. It wasn't fun, it wasn't that interesting, and the only thing it really had going for it were some of the nods to past movies, but even that wasn't enough to carry M4 forward. It was pretty much just used as a crutch.

#273 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

This movie only makes sense as a meta commentary on the previous films and their production and reception. Why would anyone who enjoys the other films want another entry in the series that just craps all over the other movies? If you want to talk about this meta stuff, write an essay or make a documentary or something. Don't just change the cannon of the movies to ruin them because you're unhappy with how things played out behind the scenes.
    No movie that requires footnotes about what happened behind the scenes to understand the themes is a good movie. This is career angst played out on the big screen. The more I think about this movie, the more I hate it.

I think your position on this is a little too nuanced to be appreciated here. I fully agree. There were a ton of Easter Eggs where 'they' ripped on the studio and basically said the movie should have never been made. (notice my use of unknown preferred pronoun.. I'm trying to apply current social norms to my posts).

#274 2 years ago

Well, all I can say is that I watched it again and I enjoyed it more. The new Morpheus has some swag to him!

Also, I actually didn’t like the first Matrix upon first viewing. I thought it was an over the top, overwrought, absurdist digitized Christ story with gratuitous violence and ridiculous fight scenes. In fact, during the lobby scene, my wife literally burst out laughing with all the guns and cartwheels and shell cases dropping to the floor in slow mo. Of course after I decided it was actually one of my favorite movies of all time, I started laughing too, at that same scene, but in ecstatic glee and wonder at the utter hubris of the writers and directors to conceive of and film it the way they did.

I’ll agree that I typically decide if I like or dislike movies pretty quickly, unllike say, music - or pinball! - where I almost always need to experience the song or pin multiple times to “get it” and see if I like it our not. Often I come to really like something I thought I hated.

Is what it is. Matrix Resurrections is far from perfect, but it’s not nearly the ass suck fest I thought at first.

Sometimes you need to clear the cache to experience something clean and clear. That’s what I did here and it paid off for me.

#275 2 years ago

Matrix rest erections is in good company. There are thousands of these DVD cases under wobbly kitchen table legs across the country.

The Next Karate Kid
    Terminator Salvation
    Alien Resurrection
    Jaws The Revenge
    Lethal Weapon 4
    IJ and the kingdom of the crystal skull

#276 2 years ago

Ok i tried to watch it again...

Got about half way through and lost interest, in parallel the rewatch is like this:

"I hit my thumb with a hammer once and it hurt, so to see if it was just a negative knee jerk response on my end, i gave it another whack, still hurt however by the 6th time it was entirely numb from nerve damage and blood loss and now it doesnt hurt. What I realized is if you smash your thumb once with a hammer and feel pain thats just your immature mind giving off unrealistic expectations."

#277 2 years ago

Fortunately, Leathal Weapon 5 was amazing!

#278 2 years ago

IJ4 is my third favorite of the franchise. It had ants, aliens and Shia Lebeoffe, what’s not to like? It is by no means to be considered the lesser of a franchise. That distinction belongs to episode 3 imo. But when you stop to think about it, the four episode IJ series is pretty good and feels complete. Unlike Star War where you have to travel back to the prequel to know what’s going on.

So a Matrix pin based on episodes 1-4 or just episode 1 seem most likely. The world cannot get enough Keanu, which is why I know a Matrix 1 pin would be a runaway, smash winner. Matrix is such a good theme
    that I’d love to see one made (pun). Please
    JJP, give us Keanu. Of course, the John Wick franchise would make for another worthy license.

#279 2 years ago

Giving minimal thought to it, a Jason Bourne pin might be cool as well. Start a mission and the completion of mission rewards you enough life bars to continue. Fail, drain or fall short and you lose ball and points earned during that ball. Why not?

#280 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Yeah this reeks of genuinely hating it and then watching a favorite reviewer give it praise so it must be good. Sorry M4 was a fucking mess. People trying to spin it as meta or so bad it’s good are giving the people involved too much credit.

#281 2 years ago

The only movie I can think of in regards to changing opinion after several watches would be Prometheus.

It saddens me though, the number of plot holes and just off kilter situations inserted to drive a story. In example, why would astronaut explorers remove their helmets, even if there is oxygen? Just stupid.

Seems as though so many stories are created this way. Just lazy writing???

#282 2 years ago

prometheus was good change my mind

#283 2 years ago
    Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

prometheus was good change my mind

It was a really nicely done in 3d. It had it's problems, but overall I really liked it.

Thing is with M4 and now having theatric and streaming releases where a lot of already subscribe, it really messes with the opinions. If I would have paid to see it in the theater I would have been very dissapointed. Streaming it, was Ok, but I felt no ill will.

#284 2 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

The only movie I can think of in regards to changing opinion after several watches would be Prometheus.
    It saddens me though, the number of plot holes and just off kilter situations inserted to drive a story. In example, why would astronaut explorers remove their helmets, even if there is oxygen? Just stupid.
    Seems as though so many stories are created this way. Just lazy writing???

For me Prometheus got worse and stupider every time I saw it. I think I bailed at twice and a half.

Maybe I just like “free” new release movies now but I enjoyed matrix 4.

#285 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For me Prometheus got worse and stupider every time I saw it. I think I bailed at twice and a half.
    Maybe I just like “free” new release movies now but I enjoyed matrix 4.

That's interesting how we each had the opposite reaction following several viewings.

The "free" will certainly open movies to a wider audience. I'm fairly certain I would have paid for M4 before reading public opinion, but after reading a thread like this I definitely would have foregone the theatrical experience.

#286 2 years ago

Prometheus -- I always remember it as the movie with the highest ratio of pre-viewing excitement to the letdown of actually watching the movie. The trailer was awesome, it had great pacing, just the right amount of showing what could happen, and a great soundtrack and really pumped you up. I couldn't wait to go see it. Then I go and see it and....what a mess. I have tried it a few times since going to the theater, and no it does not get better. Its bad.

One of the dumbest scenes in the movie did become a meme, which is called The Prometheus School of Running Away From Things.

#287 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Prometheus -- I always remember it as the movie with the highest ratio of pre-viewing excitement to the letdown of actually watching the movie. The trailer was awesome, it had great pacing, just the right amount of showing what could happen, and a great soundtrack and really pumped you up. I couldn't wait to go see it. Then I go and see it and....what a mess. I have tried it a few times since going to the theater, and no it does not get better. Its bad.
    One of the dumbest scenes in the movie did become a meme, which is called The Prometheus School of Running Away From Things.

Agreed, many just dumb things happening.
    It's not a great movie, but it's grown on me as a whole. I just try to look at the big picture with it.

Unfortunately for me, M4 has no big picture moment. I can't get past the money grab and uninteresting fight scenes.

#288 2 years ago

Why are you all rewatching movies you don't like, multiple times even? It's fine to not like things.

For instance, I loved Gaurdians of the Galaxy 1. But 2 was hot garbage that I wanted to puch in it's dumb movie face the whole time and couldn't wait to leave the theater. I know people love it, but I sure as hell won't ever watch it again.

#289 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Why are you all rewatching movies you don't like, multiple times even? It's fine to not like things.
    For instance, I loved Gaurdians of the Galaxy 1. But 2 was hot garbage that I wanted to puch in it's dumb movie face the whole time and couldn't wait to leave the theater. I know people love it, but I sure as hell won't ever watch it again.

Sometimes, I will give a movie another chance, just to check if its as bad as I thought, or maybe I misjudged. Also, sometimes my so-called friends will say they liked a movie I hated, and I am an idiot. So I have to double-check to make sure they are the idiot That's what I did with Prometheus. However, admittedly, I generally do not sit through the whole thing again if I was not liking it. Lots of FF action with the remote in that situation.

I agree on your GOTG2 assessment. I saw it originally and did not like it. I was flipping the channels one day and it was on, so I watched some of it again. And, it was as bad as I remembered, so it didn't last long.

I'm not sure if there are movies I saw that I really did not like when I first saw them, and then changed my mind after some time went by and I liked them. I'll have to think about that one for a bit.

Actually, Matrix 2 is sort of like that. I really did not like it at first. As time has gone by, I have been more forgiving for that one. It does have some cool stuff in it. Really, the shock on that one was that it didn't measure up with the awesome mystique of The Matrix. Maybe that was just going to always be an impossible dream.

#290 2 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I got a gorgeous new OLED TV so I don't care what is on and I'm re-watching all manner of crap!

And it all looks AMAZING!

#291 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I got a gorgeous new OLED TV so I don't care what is on and I'm re-watching all manner of crap!
    And it all looks AMAZING!

I just got the 65" LG C1 OLED. Its pretty nice. The remodeling just got finished, I'm trying to figure out where I packed away all the cables so I can hook up the receiver and surround sound.

TV hung 1 (resized).jpgTV hung 1 (resized).jpg

#292 2 years ago

This is a really tough crowd if you didn't like GOTGII. The best opening sequence ever except maybe Deadpool.

#293 2 years ago

Such an interesting thread lol...

OP creates a thread day of release saying it sucks, then rabble rabble rabble people defend it or agree with it, rabble rabble rabble, he goes back to watch 4 times more to make sure he doesn't like it, ends up liking it, calls himself a wise man because he changed his mind, then changes the title of the thread lol.

It's just an alright movie. I've seen much better, and way worse. Nothing really to talk about more than that, IMO.

If it's a Matrix story/lore thread to discuss, that's a whole different discussion (and thread), and one I would enjoy contributing to. Anyway, moving on. Have a good weekend everyone.

TLDR; Movie was alright - nothing crazy. Thread is weird. Matrix idea is neat.

#294 2 years ago

When I go back and watch a movie four times that means I want to like, but after viewing two and still keep watching; that means I liked it. Funny, those in-between movies get more views from me as I'm trying to figure it out. I probably watched Interstellar 20 times. Of couse, I was always on net with the laptop, so I missed a lot the first few times looking at my computer screen.

#296 2 years ago

Honest Trailers nails it, as usual. Glad to see the comment on the quick cut fight scenes, which I hate.

Also, why not Wick it up a bit lol.

#297 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Honest Trailers nails it, as usual. Glad to see the comment on the quick cut fight scenes, which I hate.
    Also, why not Wick it up a bit lol.

"And where Neo still knows Kung Fu, but at his age would rather spam the block button"...haha...that was my biggest pet peeve.

#298 2 years ago

My wife and I watched about an hour of it and couldn't take it anymore. When it suddenly went into the alien world, we'd had enough of "what's real and what's not" and just didn't care anymore. But CrazyLevi was onto something: Being the Ricardos was awesome.

1 week later
    #299 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lateralus:

Such an interesting thread lol...
    OP creates a thread day of release saying it sucks, then rabble rabble rabble people defend it or agree with it, rabble rabble rabble, he goes back to watch 4 times more to make sure he doesn't like it, ends up liking it, calls himself a wise man because he changed his mind, then changes the title of the thread lol.
    It's just an alright movie. I've seen much better, and way worse. Nothing really to talk about more than that, IMO.
    If it's a Matrix story/lore thread to discuss, that's a whole different discussion (and thread), and one I would enjoy contributing to. Anyway, moving on. Have a good weekend everyone.
    TLDR; Movie was alright - nothing crazy. Thread is weird. Matrix idea is neat.

WRONG SIR! WRONG! I’ve watched the movie twice. 2 times. Not 5.

GOOD DAY SIR!!

#300 2 years ago

My favorite stuff in the New Matrix - I think my favorite stuff in all Matrix - are the scenes at work. Especially the White Rabbit montage. Just awesome!

THere's really something about the freaky, mind-numbing, unreal banality of going to an office every day that really is almost psychedelic!

Hopefully Matrix 5 is set 100 percent in the office.

There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoo-boy-the-new-matrix-movie-sucks/page/6?hl=jonnyqtrek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.