(Topic ID: 306605)

Edit: Whoo-Boy the new Matrix movie is ok after all.

By TheFamilyArcade

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 301 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does this movie suck ass?”

• Yeah. 100% ass suckage. 73 votes
      62%
    • No (I’m wrong, but “no”) 18 votes
      15%
    • Eh, wasn’t so bad. 27 votes
      23%

(Multiple choice - 118 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TV hung 1 (resized).jpg
    571B7FB7-48B5-4A8B-AED2-9CCFDE43AB49.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    apron03 (resized).jpg
    apron03 (resized).jpg
    f276123fa279fa48 (resized).jpg
    5z4vx4 (resized).jpg
    milk-face-adult-woman-her-head-covered-38625518 (resized).jpg
    f9d.gif
    There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I don’t think it ever showed him cutting his leg. Max tosses him the hacksaw and your mind does the rest.

My memory was of the camera angle looking up showing his face as he hacked through his leg, not actually showing the saw going through his leg. Then he started to limp away from the car, cut to Max, then it exploded. Did anyone else see it in the theater first run?

#152 2 years ago

Just watched it at the theater tonight. If you’re a fan of the original, you’ll enjoy the new one. Nothing groundbreaking, but an enjoyable movie.

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

If you’re a fan of the original, you’ll enjoy the new one.

If someone told me this before I watched the new one, I’d never speak to them again.

It’s clear that everyone who hates this one is mostly BECAUSE they’re a fan of the original.

#154 2 years ago

Watched on HBO Max - There have certainly been worse sequels - this was at least watchable. Probably better than the 3rd movie, maybe, but that's not saying much. This was nowhere even close to matching the original.

Just felt poorly written, poorly acted frankly, and poorly cast for all of the new characters. Maybe it's just me - It's like they were trying to be trendy casting a bunch of 20-somethings for every character they could. And anyone any older like the new Smith and Morpheus were just bad. Maybe I'm just an old turd now (43...) - I'm coming to the realization that I'm no longer the target demographic for most new movies/tv, and Hollywood is really pumping out trash repeatedly, trying to cash in with a new generation of suckers. Oh well.

The action scenes were all letdowns too, imo. They did nothing new or cool in this movie.

I've still never gotten the payoff of the One truly just kicking ass on a new level, that I always wanted to see after the first movie. Reloaded came close to delivering on a few scenes, but still didn't quite do it. I guess that was a pipedream better left to the imagination after the original.

#155 2 years ago

I think it was entertaining without being convoluted. Couldn’t ask for much more. The plot was so nutty by the end of the trilogy a coherent enough storyline was better than I expected.

#156 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yes! Sarah Connor Chronicles was good, we really enjoyed it. We watched in the original run, that was 2008, so long ago. Might be worth watching again, I presume it is out there somewhere.

Yes. Both seasons were released on DVD and Blu Ray.

https://www.amazon.com/Terminator-Connor-Chronicles-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B00168HARG/ref=sr_1_4

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I stopped over half way thru Dune, it was good and ill get back to it, but its really not that exciting if you've know lynch's Dune really well; its pretty much scene for scene remake & the actors are almost all a bit of a downgrade.

It's because they are doing a book, but Lynch deviated the most.

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from shlt_thunder:

I think it was entertaining without being convoluted. Couldn’t ask for much more. The plot was so nutty by the end of the trilogy a coherent enough storyline was better than I expected.

You know on reflection not only did the story disregard the previous 3 movies to some degree it also disregarded the storyline they told in the first half of the movie.

Don't they have people who proof read the scripts?

#159 2 years ago

I'm probably going to watch M4 tonight on HBO Max. Like most here I loved the first, thought 2 was decent (it's hard to catch lightning in a bottle), but 3 was terrible.

My question is do I have to rewatch the third movie? I was never able to finish it because it was so bad.

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

It's because they are doing a book, but Lynch deviated the most.

Yep exactly; so no real improvements have been made to it so its sort of ho-hum.
    Certainly a lot of the effects were updated but not always better. Obviously the personal shields are better, but the guild i felt was better in the OG.

#161 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm probably going to watch M4 tonight on HBO Max. Like most here I loved the first, thought 2 was decent (it's hard to catch lightning in a bottle), but 3 was terrible.
    My question is do I have to rewatch the third movie? I was never able to finish it because it was so bad.

Nope.

#162 2 years ago

WORST part of all was the fighting it didn't feel like the matrix at all. Slow uninspired choreography, I feel like some 6th graders in drama class could've came up with better scenes.

Boring boring boring.

Plot was BS. Effects sucked.

Dougie houser sucked.

Corney ass dialogue.

A far cry from the original.

If the pinball has this movie in it it's an Instant pass.

#163 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

If the pinball has this movie in it it's an Instant pass.

Pinball machines aren't made including new movies so we should be OK.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I saw Mad Max, The Road Warrior. and Thunderdome in the theater with my dad. He had no problem taking his little sons to violent R rated movies. Also saw Road Warrior on VHS and cable at least 50 times as a kid.

Fun fact: the PG-13 rating was only introduced in 1984. Up until that point, there was just PG and R with no in-between rating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_film_rating_system#Addition_of_the_PG-13_rating

#165 2 years ago

My dreams of an original Matrix pin are probably over now. Oh well.

#166 2 years ago
    Quoted from McDoom:

My dreams of an original Matrix pin are probably over now. Oh well.

On the contrary, if Matrix stock is plummeting, then perhaps the license’s will be easier to get? Wishful thinking?

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Fun fact: the PG-13 rating was only introduced in 1984. Up until that point, there was just PG and R with no in-between rating.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_film_rating_system#Addition_of_the_PG-13_rating

My friend and I saw the first PG-13 movie in the theater when it came out, Dreamscape. Fun Fact: we were only 12. For the most part PG-13 movies suck.
    Edit: Wikipedia says Red Dawn was first PG-13 movie, but in my local theater Dreamscape came out first.

#168 2 years ago

lol 'Fury Road was bad' sure is a hot take

#169 2 years ago

There's nothing to save in that movie, it just sucks the whole way.

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

My friend and I saw the first PG-13 movie in the theater when it came out, Dreamscape. Fun Fact: we were only 12. For the most part PG-13 movies suck.

Fun Fact Red Dawn was first released with PG13.
    Both flicks were awesome.
    "Let go...let go or you'll be drawing back a stump."
    Can never get enough David Patrick Kelly

Edit: The story used to go that Dreamscape recieved it first, but RD was released first. I think they have changed some titles around since then though.

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

lol 'Fury Road was bad' sure is a hot take

The movie theater was dead silent at the viewing I was at.

It was mindless action with the thinnest skin of a story and no Max.

Noticed they destroyed the iconic Interceptor early on?

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Fun Fact Red Dawn was first released with PG13.
    Both flicks were awesome.
    "Let go...let go or you'll be drawing back a stump."
    Can never get enough David Patrick Kelly
    Edit: The story used to go that Dreamscape recieved it first, but RD was released first. I think they have changed some titles around since then though.

Official release dates are iffy, because as a kid I frequently went to the “sneak peeks” as they were called. Showings that were sometimes a week or two before official releases. I remember at the time having the discussion with my friend that Dreamscape was the first PG-13 movie in the theater. Red Dawn was the next week.

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Jupiter Ascending is so painfully, embarrassingly, repugnantly bad that it's not even fun just to watch and laugh at. My go-to bad movies: both of the Machete movies are awesome to watch and laugh. Both are purposely so bad that it's funny.
    I never really liked the first Matrix movie and haven't seen the second or third, so probably will be a long time before I get caught up and watch the forth (if ever).

that's the thing though. Jupiter Ass-ending was just awful. it's not like it was meant to be bad intentionally.

the Machette films were made to poke fun of the whole grind house genre (and succeeded).

I still want Werewolf Women of the SS to be made

the worst film that I've seen (that wasn't trying to be bad) still has to be Battlefield Earth (or the 2nd half of Waterworld)

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

that's the thing though. Jupiter Ass-ending was just awful. it's not like it was meant to be bad intentionally.
    the Machette films were made to poke fun of the whole grind house genre (and succeeded).
    the worst film that I've seen (that wasn't trying to be bad) still has to be Battlefield Earth (or the 2nd half of Waterworld)

I’m still waiting for Thanksgiving to be made. “White Meat, Dark Meat, All Will Be Carved.”

I paid good money to see Battlefield Earth in the Theater. I imagine my experience was similar to someone who actually paid for a copy of dianetics. You just realize you got hoodwinked and move on.

#175 2 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

Worst film? Wow there has been so many stinkers the only ones that come to mind off the top of my head are Blade II, The Last Jedi and Children of Men. Children of Men was so mind-numbing bad we just shut off the player half way through and its been in the box ever since.

Fantastic start, interesting concept and it just dies half way through.

And yes Jupiter was terrible, my wife said delete it now when the credits rolled.

#176 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Worst film? Wow there has been so many stinkers the only ones that come to mind off the top of my head are Blade II, The Last Jedi and Children of Men. Children of Men was so mind-numbing bad we just shut off the player half way through and its been in the box ever since.
    Fantastic start, interesting concept and it just dies half way through.
    And yes Jupiter was terrible, my wife said delete it now when the credits rolled.

Deleting it when the credits rolled is what I did with this new Matrix. I don't do that often as I'm a believer of second chances, but there is no hope with this one.

#177 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

'Merican version is completely unacceptable

Super weird. Somehow the original Aussie version is the one I’m familiar with. I love Mad Mad, but personally Road Warrior is my favorite. It’s way better. The pacing and action is very gritty and dark, it shows you enough that your mind makes it graphic without them throwing outrageously violent scenes at you.

The world building and the characters in Road Warrior just bring it to a new level and it’s so damn cool. I could watch that so many times. The boomerang scene always haunted me as a child.

I still firmly believe that if Matrix Revolutions (3) had the action of Matrix Reloaded (2) we wouldn’t even be having threads like this. Reloaded had the highway fight and the Merovingian fights, just some excellent action, and a dogshit story that could have fit in a magazine column. If they condensed the 2nd story and combined with the wrap-up in Revolutions, but without that terrible CGI fight at the end with PlayStation 2 graphics, it would have been a really great Matrix sequel.

I never understood why the released Reloaded and Revolutions 6 months apart. It even made it feel like they should have been one movie they hacked apart. One got the (butchered) story, the other got all the good action.

#178 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The movie theater was dead silent at the viewing I was at.
    It was mindless action with the thinnest skin of a story and no Max.
    Noticed they destroyed the iconic Interceptor early on?

it won six academy awards and is getting a sequel

#179 2 years ago

Witness me Blood Bag!!!!!

Fury Road is probably the best action movie of the past 20 years and the fact that some people disliked it for whatever reason is proof that there's simply no pleasing some of you cranky bastards!!!!

Not that anybody cares but I'd probably rank them..

Road Warrior
    Fury Road
    Thunderdome
    Mad Max (it's good for what it is, a low budget exploitation movie but compared to the others which are certifiably epic it's certainly got some dull moments. It's still a pretty good flick and yeah when I discovered there was a version without the awful voice over dubs etc. it became a lot better)

#180 2 years ago

Almost universally reapected...other than this on theatre we're hearing aboot

#181 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

'Merican version is completely unacceptable

The first Hellraiser movie was dubbed like that with American accents too. I guess it was the cool thing to do back then? Or they thought audiences couldn't handle characters with accents?

#182 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The first Hellraiser movie was dubbed like that with American accents too. I guess it was the cool thing to do back then? Or they thought audiences couldn't handle characters with accents?

Still do it today; brits/aussies gotta drop their accents all the time. Back then I just assume 'merica didn't know anything aboot this and got it and dubbed it. Gods must be Crazy style.
    Edit: how could we possibly understand American Mel's accent

#183 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Still do it today; brits/aussies gotta drop their accents all the time.

Well, putting on an accent for a character is much different than getting dubbed after filming. It wouldn’t make sense for Peter Parker to be played with Tom Holland’s real accent.

When I was a kid, I was so used to how Bob Hoskins sounded in Roger Rabbit & Super Mario, I thought he was putting on a fake accent for Hook. Blew my mind when I found out that was his real accent!

#184 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

... It wouldn’t make sense for Peter Parker to be played with Tom Holland’s real accent.

This is as logical as people being upset JJ is African American (or whatever the characters name is). It makes as much sense as making Nazis speak English with German accents.

Nothing has to make sense anymore in movies.
    Instead, we get bueatiful voice Tom Hardy doing a dreadful Venom accent *shutter*
    Edit: lest we forget the Patriot, Heath losing an accent to play an american that didn't have an accent.

#185 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

This is as logical as people being upset JJ is African American (or whatever the characters name is). It makes as much sense as making Nazis speak English with German accents.
    Nothing has to make sense anymore in movies.
    Instead, we get bueatiful voice Tom Hardy doing a dreadful Venom accent *shutter*
    Edit: lest we forget the Patriot, Heath losing an accent to play an american that didn't have an accent.

Uh….huh? Alls I’m saying is Peter Parker is a kid from NY, so the British actor is playing him with an American accent. Completely different thing than a company dubbing a movie because they think American audiences won’t want to watch a “foreign” movie.

#186 2 years ago

So?

Matrix got 3 sequels, all bad.

#187 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Uh….huh? Alls I’m saying is Peter Parker is a kid from NY, so the British actor is playing him...

Nobody cares is my point; canon is dead.
    Peter Parker didn't have organic web shooters until the Raimi flicks but we all survived.

Hell we have diff'rent version of the same characters running amock before they made a film aboot that very thing

#188 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Nobody cares is my point; canon is dead.
    Peter Parker didn't have organic web shooters until the Raimi flicks but we all survived.
    Hell we have diff'rent version of the same characters running amock before they made a film aboot that very thing

What does dubbing have to do with purposeful accent choices have to do with canon have to do with The Matrix? Lol …can we just get back to Matrix 4 sucking ass?

#189 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The only one you need to see. Full stop.

that's really not fair to the animatrix...

#190 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

So?
    Matrix got 3 sequels, all bad.

yeah but like...the first one was good. so was fury road. i'm not sure if you've noticed that bad, unprofitable or widely disliked movies dont generally get sequels

I DIDNT LIKE IT isn't the same thing as IT WAS A BAD MOVIE

#191 2 years ago

yeah but like...the first one was good. so was fury road. i'm not sure if you've noticed that bad, unprofitable or widely disliked movies dont generally get sequels
    I DIDNT LIKE IT isn't the same thing as IT WAS A BAD MOVIE

Lots of bad movies get sequels as long as Hollywood makes a buck.

#192 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Witness me Blood Bag!!!!!
    Fury Road is probably the best action movie of the past 20 years and the fact that some people disliked it for whatever reason is proof that there's simply no pleasing some of you cranky bastards!!!!
    Not that anybody cares but I'd probably rank them..
    Road Warrior
    Fury Road
    Thunderdome
    Mad Max (it's good for what it is, a low budget exploitation movie but compared to the others which are certifiably epic it's certainly got some dull moments. It's still a pretty good flick and yeah when I discovered there was a version without the awful voice over dubs etc. it became a lot better)

Mad Max is clearly second on the list. It’s low budget but a solidly good flick, even with the bad dubbing.
    You could argue between Fury Road and Thunderdome, (I would rank Thunderdome a bit higher)
    But there is a huge gap between Road Warrior and Mad Max, then a huge gap between Mad Max and the others.

#193 2 years ago

This thread makes me want to watch Mad Max again.

#194 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Mad Max is clearly second on the list. It’s low budget but a solidly good flick, even with the bad dubbing.
    You could argue between Fury Road and Thunderdome, (I would rank Thunderdome a bit higher)
    But there is a huge gap between Road Warrior and Mad Max, then a huge gap between Mad Max and the others.

All 4 are good movies to watch

Reminds me of a joke….

What does HBO stand for?

“hey, Beastmasters on!”

#195 2 years ago

Matrix 4 is so bad that they explain Neo and Trinity being alive by just saying the machines rebuilt their bodies, and then NPH actually says that the process was really expensive... Like the machines have some kind of financial economy and they're worried about how much they're spending on resurrecting humans. I can't get over how badly written this movie is. Keanu is too nice. He needs to learn to say no to his friends.

#196 2 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

that's really not fair to the animatrix...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #197 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Reminds me of a joke….
    What does HBO stand for?
    “hey, Beastmasters on!”

I thought you were kidding…but you were not, this really was a joke: https://movieweb.com/beastmaster-remake/

Beast master was a great show. I rewatched it for the first time in two decades last year.

#198 2 years ago

Pretty sure every time TheLaw types “aboot” a kitten gets the lower half of its body ran over by a truck.

The new matrix movie is as equally as sad of an image.

#199 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I thought you were kidding…but you were not, this really was a joke: https://movieweb.com/beastmaster-remake/
    Beast master was a great show. I rewatched it for the first time in two decades last year.

What’s TBS stand for?

The Beastmaster Station!

#200 2 years ago

Just watch this….
    After seeing this, I don’t get why they felt the need even to make it.

It does nothing for me as a matrix fan, but see old characters be old and relive the matrix 1 again, but worse. The movie makes fun of itself the entire time. It was entertainment of some sort, I wouldn’t recommend it unless it was on of the last things you had left to watch on hbo max

There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoo-boy-the-new-matrix-movie-sucks/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.