image-333.jpg
image-350.jpg
image-479.jpg
buddy_boy.jpg
image-700.jpg
Heisenberg.jpg
Rolex-Submariner-116610-LN.jpg
golden.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Can't wait for the new code though I will probably keep the up-post disabled. Just can't get enough of those loops and spinners.

It seems like the up post should always stay down on left orbit and only operate on right. I also disabled mine.

#184 10 years ago
Quoted from digitalbytes:

I know the sling of doom well. I don't even turn the flasher to point towards the playfield anymore because it will just end up pointing back at the side of the cab. At one point I did turn the coils down and I thought that I was not getting as many of these airballs but if the update does not fix the problem I may have to pull out the solder gun.
I feel lucky at the moment because I am still learning to play well enough to activate all the existing features of the machine reliably. I can only hope by the time I can do that consistently that a new update is out.

4 ohm resistors soldered inline on one of the coil lugs cures this while still keeping the slings very fast.

#214 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

People keep saying it - solder 4 ohm 10W resistors in line with the sling coils. It literally takes 30 seconds, makes the game 100% more fun. When the new software comes out, remove them to try it out.
I know you shouldn't have to do this on a brand new game, but it works. Being stubborn and waiting for Stern to fix it isn't going to change the airballs in the meantime.

This isn't a problem with game software. Every single recent stern has the same high powered slings sing tron and the same code to run them. Arguably, if you don't keep your games cleaned and waxed, the problem is not so noticable. But all my games have the 4 ohm resistors in line. It's only a few cents in cost and is a permanent fix.

#215 10 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Mines now going into bonus before the ball drains its like the ball has drained before it actually has! my distributor says the code will fix it like it did for Tron? Can't wait for this code its going to fix the worlds problems lol
Peter

This is not a problem with game code. You likely need to check the trough switches and reflow solder on the trough upkick optos or just replace them. It's a common enough problem with all sterns since Sega and data east days that I swap these as my first step with this problem and always have a spare set laying around. I believe this is what you want. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1690

#258 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

That is not correct, Chaz at Stern has indicated to me the next CODE will address the overpowered sling issue by calming the pulse down to the coils. Of course this was like 5 weeks ago and still no code update.

Chaz may have told you that, but the slings are exactly how they have been on a sterns since tron. It's not a software "problem". They could pulse the coils shorter and weaken the sling. But this is in their base code not game specific code. I find it unlikely that it will change. But if it does, it should change on future software releases of other games as well.

#315 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Believe me...I'm not arguing X-Men rules / code is good. I'm just saying I can't think of many other games where it would be more important to NOT time out the modes.
As for if it's being finished being debatable....not really. Seeing the words "Insert wizard mode here" on the DMD kinda takes any argument of it being finished away.

Yea, the game isn't quite finished. But I think the code / rules are pretty good. I would argue it. It was a rough road and it was ugly up to the last revision. But its not too bad now. Imagine if we got this as the first drop. It would have been a totally different story.

3 weeks later
#507 10 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Are you f'ing kidding me - A power pack with new songs??
We can do this ourselves in 20 minutes!

Actually, you can't. What you can do is *replace* songs. What it's sounds like here is they are *adding* songs.

1 week later
#625 10 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

Well as far as the overpowered slingshots, I had to do something for fear that my INVISIGLASS was going to get damaged, or something else on the machine. It had already been knocking that light on the left sling out of position, bouncing off the glass, launching over the left lanes and into the left drain, etc...
So I soldered in the 4 ohm / 10 watt resistor inline with the coils and it has improved on this problem greatly. (see photo)

So the 4 ohm resistors was my original solution. And it wasnt just for Metallica. I devised this months ago starting with my ACDC in an attempt to make that game fun. I've been doing this on all new sterns since the "super powered slingshot" feature was released on Tron or so. This is not a metallica issue. It is not a code issue. All the stern games have this problem. For me, xmen and acdc were worse than metallica. All get the 4 ohm resistors. You can replace the coils with coils with more windings as well, but that costs more money.

Stern does not have direct software control over the power to just the slings. They do have control over the amount of time the slings (or any coil) is pulsed. I'm sure that if this is handled via software, that's how it will be handed - lower pulse time. But since this is nothing new, I doubt any software changes will be made to address it - regardless what Chaz may have said or not. So it would be great if people would stop discussing this as some sort of metallica software bug. It's really not.

Setting coil pulse power to "soft" in the menus slightly helps the problem also, but not as greatly as the resistors.

Quoted from Hudson:

Is it a pulse problem, is it an alignment issue with the sling rubber, or does the sling coil have too much voltage on it? I do not know, but it is a lot better now. I would prefer a proper solution to the real problem, but for now at least I can play the game and not worry about damaging it.

It's not a problem. Nothing is going to break. Glass won't break. Instead, It's an annoyance to have air balls jump the sling and drain out the outlane. But this is just how stern games have been recently. And some are more sensitive to it than others.

4ohm-10watt resisitor mod for sl... 59 KB

#688 10 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Both my flippers hum on Metallica but not on AC/DC.
Per Lloyds instructions, I will be filing the plunger and coil stop this weekend as I already tried adjusting the coil stop...several times.

I would most definitely *not* be filing new coil stops and plungers. The hum does not impact performance or flipper strength. But filing definitely could and it won't improve the flipper performance. You risk the flipper throws being uneven after (one flipper rises higher then the other) and slight burrs causing flipper weakness which will only increase over time. Lloyd is a great guy, but this was bad advice in my opinion. My suggestion is to not do anything. Its not a problem that needs solving.

1 week later
#954 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Announced does not equal released.
If we get an official 'we're working on it' or 'here's Star Trek, metallica to come soon', that's about the same as a slap in the face. I know its Lyman and it will be awesome but there is no credible excuse for them to not have *something* by now. And no, I don't want to hear about how long old games took for code updates or how shitty xmen was (that was my first NIB and they're damn lucky I bought two more games.) They also cost half as much back then and it was a different market altogether. In conclusion, bah humbug.

I can't really disagree with you on this. I think I'm rotating metallica out of the house and into my workshop until a code update drops.

#961 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I'm out of town in London for Xmas, it would be GREAT if I came home in a few days to a nice new sexy Metallica update...
Something tells me I won't be disappointed

You will be if you expect an update in the couple days I think

#1184 10 years ago

Unfortunately, the longer the wait is, the higher the expectation is for the update contents. What may have been an otherwise great update is very likely to be met with disappointment and "is that all after all this time" comments. Personally, I think Lyman had a certain amount of stern paid full time to work on this, and it was all used up on hammer issues. While I'm sure he is working on it, I bet its not full time and I bet the update won't be a game finisher or everything everyone expects.

This is pure speculation.

#1188 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And a doozie at that.

Agreed and I hope I'm wrong.

#1214 10 years ago

You don't need for your pro. You can just use colored LEDs. The LE is just white via light board. It's pretty easy to install light sockets in place of the led boards though. I did this to make the acdc lightning bolt inserts blue.

#1269 10 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Guys I am looking to fix my slings of death, the electronic shop near me doesn't have any 4 ohm 10 watt resistors. He does have 3 ohm 10 watt or a 4.6 ohm 25 watt, would either of those work?

Ya. Both probably work. The 4.6 ohm will slow the slings more than the 3

#1390 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I really hate to agree with or defend the raging WOZ'r known as Ice...
But I think he meant 3-4 games x2 versions
IMO a small part of the reason Stern code is shit right now is due to the requirement to code every title twice

I do t think that's what he meant but who knows. It's definitely not coding every game twice. There is going to be a small amount of work specific to versions then the rest is rules. If anything, the pro type versions are able to be considered subsets of the LE type versions, which are the real games.

#1396 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Disagree, X-Men, Transformers and Metallica Pros seem like the better playing games than the Premium versions.
I don't have enough playtime to be 100% certain, but that is what it seems like (e.g. more reliable coffin target on Metallica for locks, no stoopid ramp of death on X-men, transformers not having well... everything on the LE

Sorry but this isn't what I meant. It was in regards to code the pro games are not like coding a whole separate game. They're like coding a subset of the LE type game.

I totally agree that Metallica and transformers pros play better than their LE counterparts. That's why I have the pro on both those games . As for xmen, once I disabled the moving ramp I can't agree. Unless you would argue that the night crawlers and spinning disk refract from game play

1 month later
#2451 10 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

I'm not saying he should work 24/7. Couple hours here, couple hours there. Who knows, he's probably doing that right now anyway. The reason you and I are debating this is because you put zero blame on the designer/developer and 100% of the blame on Stern. That doesn't seem fair either. The company set a deadline for this team to get Metallica out the door. The designers/developers failed to put a complete product out in that time frame. Is that Sterns fault?

Yes, it is. You've already said "if I were a programmer" so that means you're not. Therefore you should probably stop making any statements about how things work or should work. You don't know.

The game software team has no control over release schedule. They are given a game and probably turn in work load estimates. Then they are probably told when it will release. If it takes 2500 hours and you're given 1200 hours, it's not your fault that things are only 12/25 done when it releases. It's the fault of the company that released the product anyway.

My guess is that Lyman got the code to be stable in time frame allowed and continued development afterwards. He was likely yanked off onto other projects by stern and given only a partial amount of his time to work the project afterwards. Who knows. It could also be they it just takes him more time and he has been working only on this project since. We don't know. In any event, it is definitely not the dev teams fault things get released early and unfinished.

#2563 10 years ago
Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

That's not a bad idea in theory but THEN you get all the fanboys chiming in. GL if you want to try it. I'm sure 40% of the posts will be honest

Ehat would be the motivation for anyone to lie on that post?

1 month later
#3641 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Who wants to hit CIU, choose Battery, hear the band say "BATTERY!", have the animations tie in with the theme, but be listening to something else?

Who wants to hit sparky, hear the band say "Ride the lightening" then be listening to something else? Had to be said

#3670 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Like the photos! Question, did you just swap out the cabinet subwoofer only? I only see it in the photo. Is it a 8" or 10" cab. subwoofer? Thanks

This applies to Metallica as well: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-diy-subwoofer

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.50
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-the-metallica-update-soon?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.