Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,153 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Come on, we're late! (resized).jpeg
    images.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
    dvds-what-year (resized).jpg
    big-lebowski-the-dude.gif
    giphy.gif
    1445475145-0 (resized).jpg
    29SCI-ANGLERFISH2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpg
    thats-the-point (resized).jpg
    tumblr_0f060e3acd1e5f67c130457429198598_d6e693ce_540.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    d1t0fd1-1c35f715-e3af-40cb-8e00-be0e1a26dce8 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2c1a (resized).jpeg
    unpop (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#199 2 years ago

Stern Pros generally *play* better than premium/LE versions.

rd

#208 2 years ago

Saying “I’m in on an LE!!” does not make you cool.

rd

#228 2 years ago

Bride is by far the worse of the Pinbot set.

Shoot the ramp! Again!!

rd

#230 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

At least bop moans and oohs at you.

There’s that …

One old guy I know confessed one day he was errrrr “excited” by BOPs sounds. Lol!

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Original pinbot has one of the best light shows in all of pinball

1986 Pinbot is a pretty bitchin game, for its era.

rd

#232 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jigs:

Isn’t Pinbot the only Python approved version?

He was involved in all of them.

But left for Capcom in the middle of the design phase of Jackbot.

Whether he “approved of” them all - who knows.

rd

#275 2 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

People who pay higher than the going rate for "beautiful" "mint" "fully restored" "collector quality" whatever machines are outside of their minds. The play difference between a good condition and gorgeous condition game is negligible, but people will pay thousands more for it. Makes zero sense to me.

Most of these guys rarely play the machine.

“Less than 100 plays!”

rd

#297 2 years ago

Most “low production games” are low production for a good reason.

Most of them suck.

rd

#305 2 years ago

There are almost no “must have mods” for pinball machines.

rd

#310 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

The new Sterns don't have as much charm or personality as Williams System 11 games.

Many thumbs up.

rd

#334 2 years ago

Pinball Awards Shows are totally unnecessary in the pinball hobby.

rd

#338 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Taking this a step further: Making a stink about having a pristine shooter lane, when compared to any other part of the game, it makes the least difference.

That started as a joke about 10 years ago.

Funny to watch it become “an actual thing” that people do these days.

When I’m buying a game, I doubt I’ve ever looked at the shooter lane. Least of anyone’s problems!

rd

#352 2 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

So many pinball people are overweight and smell bad.

I don’t think that’s just pinball people.

rd

#378 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Having more than 10 pins in a collection seems pointless...you know there's one machine collecting dust from not being played.

Not if you have 100 friends show up to play them …

rd

2 weeks later
    #458 2 years ago

Pinballers always say “we want something different”

But they don’t. They want the same stuff all the time - shots in the same places, flippers in the same places, etc etc.

Zzzzzz.

rd

1 week later
    #478 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

Let's see a pin with no center drain, just side or near-side drains. Maybe something also with reversed flippers; visually a non-widebody version of Rocky with single flippers near the center facing each side. A backhand shot would be needed for up-the-middle targets. No plunger lane, either, the ball button-feeds to the top of the game somewhere, or maybe is dropped onto a flipper like along the rail in Black Rose. Could even have one or two "normal" flippers near the edges higher up on the game.

That’d be cool to see, Bob - but nobody would buy it.

Most of them won’t buy a pin with no ramps!

rd

#486 2 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

What is the strategy on Attack From Mars? BASH THE CENTER!

You really don’t want to do that.

You want to play Total Annihilation and Multiball all day. Total Annihilation has massive points when you get it cranking.

If you just shoot the middle all day, if the machine is set up any sort of decent, you’re going to be done pretty fast.

rd

#502 2 years ago

Most pinball owners do not know what HUO means.

FYI - it means that a machine has been in a house since it was made.

Very few old machines were sold to private people.

That old POS that’s been in your house for two years with lock bar holes and coin door wear is NOT F**KING HOME USE ONLY!

rd

** probably none of my 100+ old pinballs are HUO. I could care less. My point is don’t claim something is something it clearly isn’t. **

#515 2 years ago
    Quoted from ViperTim:

There are NIB games with lock bars.

No shit. Most people know that some WPC95s models came out with factory lock bars.

But most pins didn’t.

Quoted from ViperTim:

But hey, maybe you’d rather play a thrashed HUO without lockbar holes rather than a NIB with holes

Quoted from Daditude:

I have played routed games that were immaculate and HUO games that were trashed.
    It all depends on how good they look currently.

You guys missed my point.

I would say none of my 100+ old games are HUO. I couldn’t give a rats ass. Absolutely no f**ks at all. My last two pins were $400 and $800 buck beaters.

The point was DONT CLAIM SOMETHING IS SOMETHING IT ISN’T. Actual Home Use Only old games are a unicorn. But like half the ads on Pinside for 80s and 90s games claim HUO.

Like this ad where the dude claims “HUO” and “flawless”. Ok … sure ….

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-trade-huo-road-show

rd

#522 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Do you sometimes buy long distance without seeing the game in person first?

Yeah - I live 8,000 miles from where all the pinball machines are.

rd

1 week later
    #606 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

Ketchup is only good to use as a base for homemade BBQ sauce

Hot take 1:

If meat is good, it shouldn’t need any sauce at all. Good quality meat, cooked well, should be juicy and flavorful. Nothing needed except salt.

Hot take 2:

Most BBQ meat is crap. Covered in sauce to hide how bad it is.

Hot take 3:

I can cook a better brisket in my oven than most people cook in their expensive smokers.

rd

#612 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Yet the majority in this hobby frowns upon them.

I don’t think that’s right.

People that appreciate the 70s/80s games appreciate the Gottlieb games, especially the 80B era.

Gottlieb were the undisputed KINGS of pinball up to 76/77. I read some statistics that they had like over 50% of the market up till then.

They just got left behind in the SYS1 era - compare Gorgar to Dragon for example - then they caught up somewhat in the SYS80 era - then the 90s era they were out of money and the software development let them down. Their development time was only 90 days from sketch to rolling out the factory door. Williams had over a year for their games.

I’ve often said - if someone could finish off the programming in those 90s games, you’d have some decent games there.

rd

#616 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Police Force is the most underrated Williams System 11 game.

Sweeping Rat!!

rd

#622 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm hoping to reprogram my Gladiators one day. One of the best pf designs ever. Software is great in a few places too. Love the disable pops with flipper buttons and accu-spin is one of the most creative uses for a spinner in all of pinball. The code just falls short in a few areas.

Someone could make themselves some bucks fixing up the software in those Sys3 games.

There’s lots of them out there. Some interesting layouts and they’re pretty reliable too.

rd

#624 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Sounds a lot like Cedar Point

Not if you go during the middle of the week.

Last there two years ago - did every ride in a day no problem. Only long queue was 45-60 mins to get on the new big wooden coaster down the back.

Everything else, 0-10 mins.

Most those smaller places are the same - mid week, no people.

Except Disneyland. That’s crazy every day.

rd

#626 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Only got to the point once and it sucked, total busy time

Yeah, places like that, if you hit it on a holiday weekend, it’s just a waste of time.

Ain’t no fun standing in queues all day for 3 rides.

May as well stay home.

Last trip to Pinburgh, we hit Kennywood on a Weds or Thursday at 5pm (?) for their cheap night pass. We had done all the rides by like 7pm. Straight onto everything. Probably only a couple of hundred people in the whole place.

rd

#640 2 years ago

I don’t drink a lot of soda, but I prefer Pepsi over Coke.

rd

2 weeks later
    #701 2 years ago

NFTs (and the like) are all stupid - and when the inevitable recession comes, they’ll all be worthless.

rd

#707 2 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Republican or Democrat. Being tribal about your useless ideaology because you think "your guys" are going to get it done, is stupid.

I always shake my head when I see these crazy “my guy is best!!! It’s your guys fault!!!” dudes posting.

The reality is, if you were on fire on the side of the road, not one of those guys would stop their limo to piss on you to put the fire out.

That’s what I hate about social media - their algorithms have made the “my team is better than yours!!” thing go to ridiculous levels.

Unplug social media, and the world would be a better place.

That’s probably not an unpopular opinion though.

rd

1 week later
    #744 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Fun fact:
    All Gottlieb tables in that movie.

The lyrics were originally “I thought I was the Gottlieb table king”

Gottlieb were the kings of pinball back then.

But Mr Gottlieb wouldn’t give them permission to use the name.

So they changed it to Bally.

The rest is history …

rd

#749 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Why does tournament play now get to dictate what pinball does

And tournament players exhibit the most “group think” I’ve ever seen in any group ever.

And I can say that - I’m one of them. However I’m not in the cult. LOL.

If one of the leading players says a game “rules” - then it is the best thing ever.

If one of the leading players says a game “sucks” - then it is the worst game ever.

It seems nobody in pinball (this really extends past tournament players) is capable of using their own brain to make their own decision. Everyone just parrots what some “higher guy” says. Most of the naysayers have never even played the game they’re discussing.

It’s one of the real big turn offs of the hobby for me, to be honest.

rd

1 week later
    #786 2 years ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Deadpool has a lot of stuff

Lol.

New Stern games have F-all on the playfield.

They use wall to wall “in your face” colourbomb art to disguise it - and everyone falls for it.

Remove the art from any recent Stern and there’s not much there. As per the below picture.

rd

B5D8E43B-84EB-433B-8067-E717D4894BB3 (resized).jpegB5D8E43B-84EB-433B-8067-E717D4894BB3 (resized).jpeg
    #788 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

This is exactly why I prefer Sterns, not all cluttered with gimmicky toys that slow down gameplay.

That’s true!

rd

#817 2 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

ok here's a potentially unpopular opinion: Sometimes you can do more with less crammed on the playfield.
    Elwin playfields could maybe get by with having one less shot on each instead of cramming things in too tightly.
    *ducks*

100% agree.

There are a number of newer games where they would be considerably better for the average player if a shot was removed and the remaining shots were made a little wider.

Not everyone is a PAPA A tier player.

rd

#820 2 years ago

April Fools day is pretty lame.

rd

2 weeks later
    #858 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I can cook a better brisket in my oven than most people cook in their expensive smokers.

Haven’t done one for a while, but here’s one of my oven briskets.

1/ 1.5kg brisket with a little fat on it.
    2/ stab all over with a table fork. Rub both sides with Stubbs rub and Stubbs smoke juice
    3/ sit for a day in the fridge, tray covered with cling film
    4/ next day, rub both sides again, and sprinkle on a little more smoke juice. Put a little rock salt over the top. Let sit in the pantry overnight to come to room temp
    5/ around lunchtime, heat the oven to 130C, cover the meat tray with tin foil and bang it in the oven.
    6/ around 5:30, pull the tray out, remove the foil, turn the oven to GRILL at max and pop the meat back in until the fat cap is bubbling.
    7/ pull it out and let it sit for 15/20 mins before slicing.

Juicy, tasty brisket!

rd
    CD8AE378-593B-4BBC-9EE3-B8CBBFB15BCE (resized).jpegCD8AE378-593B-4BBC-9EE3-B8CBBFB15BCE (resized).jpeg33E9DE00-D322-49E9-AD1C-CBF470F5EFF4 (resized).jpeg33E9DE00-D322-49E9-AD1C-CBF470F5EFF4 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
    #1059 1 year ago

People posting “I’m in on a CE!” of a game that hasn’t even been announced yet (let alone seen by anyone) is one of the douchiest parts of this hobby.

rd

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.