Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,153 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Come on, we're late! (resized).jpeg
    images.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
    dvds-what-year (resized).jpg
    big-lebowski-the-dude.gif
    giphy.gif
    1445475145-0 (resized).jpg
    29SCI-ANGLERFISH2-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600 (resized).jpg
    thats-the-point (resized).jpg
    tumblr_0f060e3acd1e5f67c130457429198598_d6e693ce_540.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    d1t0fd1-1c35f715-e3af-40cb-8e00-be0e1a26dce8 (resized).jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2c1a (resized).jpeg
    unpop (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 1,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 24.
    #351 2 years ago

So many pinball people are overweight and smell bad.

#352 2 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

I don’t think that’s just pinball people.

rd

#353 2 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Quoted from rotordave:

I don’t think that’s just pinball people.
    rd

And not an unpopular opinion either way

#354 2 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

Upgraded pinball speakers are a waste of time.

Not on a music pin...and set up correctly.

#355 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The Beatles is a great licence, but basing it on the "Beatlemania-bowlcut" era was a wasted opportunity. We didn't need THREE limited versions of this great updated Seawitch layout.
    There should have been just TWO versions....
    1) Beatlemania Era: Pop songs from Revolver & before (what we got)
    2) Psychedelic, acid-tripping, far out Beatles Studio Era with songs from Sgt Pepper, White Album, & Abby Road (what we needed)
    Guess which version would've had the better artwork, better songs & sold more units?

I think this goes more under the, opinions that are the huge consensus thread. Even when announced people were stunned they based it off of early beatles. I get the idea of it being kind of a retro re-theme, but man this was one of those terrible decisions that's hard to fathom that a bunch of people in a room all agreed to it.

#356 2 years ago

Modern Stern game code is so deep and complicated that an overwhelming majority of players will NEVER be able to experience the super wizard mode or even the upper levels of the game.
    There are a couple of exceptions like being able to select JP's Escape from Nublar challenge as a separate play mode, but for the most part you are paying for a lot of code you'll never see executed.

#357 2 years ago

Fathom- classic for 1981. Killer art package. But shooting it... I don't care what kind of 2.0 code Mermaid edition is- you can't recode the shots.

#358 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Cool! What earlier Gamez have this?

Viking. Any game with exposed pop bumpers creates more interest and aggravation. Like TZ.

#359 2 years ago

Alcohol and weed make playing pinball more fun. But only for a bit when alone, forever with friends, and no better way to stay mediocre at scoring.

#360 2 years ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Modern Stern game code is so deep and complicated that an overwhelming majority of players will NEVER be able to experience the super wizard mode or even the upper levels of the game.
    There are a couple of exceptions like being able to select JP's Escape from Nublar challenge as a separate play mode, but for the most part you are paying for a lot of code you'll never see executed.

That’s one of the reasons I love Skyrim - I’ll never see all that game has to offer, but every time I do, there’s always something new around some corner I never explored.

And that’s a $20-60 game.

We’re talking about 7-10k pinball machines.

The true depth of pinball is your own skill, and deep rulesets ensure there will be some new mode or scoring opportunity to chase years down the road.

#361 2 years ago

Spends hundreds on 3D printed junk for a pinball machine.
    Pinside: YAY!

DLC for pinball?
    Pinside: BOO!

I think a scary amount of you are like Cameron’s dad from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off - you never play your machines, you just rub them with diapers. I understand selling a game you didn’t connect with as much as you hoped, but I personally bought 2 PRESTINE machines, decked out to the gills with mods and add-ons…. but with only a few hundred plays each.

I buy pinball machines to play em, and if Stern’s goal is to sell DLC via insider connected, FUCKING GOOD. Guess what? I’d pay hundreds for it too. Yeah, I’m the kind of pinball customer a lot of you loathe. God forbid an option exists to spend a few bucks to add more gameplay to a 9k game.

#362 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

People that own 10+ pinball machines have no justification for complaining about high prices. Sell one buy one!

No offense, but don't agree at all. It's more like sell two or three, buy one. Hence, unacceptable to me. I want my collection to grow, not shrink.

#363 2 years ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

No offense, but don't agree at all.

You dont have to, its called the UNpopular opinion thread

#364 2 years ago

Cassandra Peterson is hotter then Elvira.

#365 2 years ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

No offense, but don't agree at all. It's more like sell two or three, buy one. Hence, unacceptable to me. I want my collection to grow, not shrink.

No it’s not. I sold 5 bought 6 last year. Everything is worth more now. If you don’t feel good about charging 3x what you have into your game you’ve had for years and years, try and work out trades.

#366 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Spends hundreds on 3D printed junk for a pinball machine.
    Pinside: YAY!
    DLC for pinball?
    Pinside: BOO!
    I think a scary amount of you are like Cameron’s dad from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off - you never play your machines, you just rub them with diapers. I understand selling a game you didn’t connect with as much as you hoped, but I personally bought 2 PRESTINE machines, decked out to the gills with mods and add-ons…. but with only a few hundred plays each.
    I buy pinball machines to play em, and if Stern’s goal is to sell DLC via insider connected, FUCKING GOOD. Guess what? I’d pay hundreds for it too. Yeah, I’m the kind of pinball customer a lot of you loathe. God forbid an option exists to spend a few bucks to add more gameplay to a 9k game.

Newwwbs! Amirite

#367 2 years ago

I'd say Ghostbusters is a terrible game, but that's the popular opinion.

#368 2 years ago

I was on the LZ hater train, but ended up playing a premium at the arcade close to where I’m visiting for an hour or so. No argument the game doesn’t have a lot in it, but it’s way more fun than I ever had playing GNR. I could rip those spinners all day !!

#369 2 years ago

Play hacking is the worse thing happening to pinball.

Example:
    TX sector, only care about the lighted spinners.

Play the beep thing. Their is other stuff todo on the table, if the designer did not intended to have it hit he wouldn't have put it on their.

This whole business about finding only the high scoring shots and repeatedly bashing it like it's the only thing available is really stupid.

These games deserve better but this attitude is pervasive and it needs to stop.

#370 2 years ago

Here's my 2 cents:

Modern pinball games have too many damn rules! You should score points by making difficult shots, not by having to memorize a novel's worth of rules on how to get to "super duper wizard mode". Machines from the 90's are generally more fun because you can understand the rules better than the complicated BS put out in today's pins!

#371 2 years ago

# Games are way overpriced for what you get today
    # Any game will get boring, especially when you have it at home and actually play it
    # Most people who buy LEs never put more than 150 games on them before selling (if pinside market is anything to go by)
    # Tiered models were the worst thing to happen to pinball a few examples: - forced compromising of design/vision, production delays, people who have to have the "rare" because they have more money than sense entering the hobby and driving up the prices everywhere as a result.
    # Toppers are a waste of money, and everyone who visits your place thinks they are dumb too
    # Enough with the band/music pins already

#372 2 years ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

# Toppers are a waste of money, and everyone who visits your place thinks they are dumb too

#373 2 years ago

Here's what keeps me up at night: if this is an unpopular opinion thread, are downvotes really upvotes?

#374 2 years ago

#375 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Example:
    Play the beep thing. Their is other stuff todo on the table, if the designer did not intended to have it hit he wouldn't have put it on their.
    This whole business about finding only the high scoring shots and repeatedly bashing it like it's the only thing available is really stupid.

So you are trying to dictate what other people shoot at while they are playing? Best of luck!

#376 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

People that own 10+ pinball machines have no justification for complaining about high prices. Sell one buy one!

Having more than 10 pins in a collection seems pointless...you know there's one machine collecting dust from not being played.

#377 2 years ago
    Quoted from stuliss:

So you are trying to dictate what other people shoot at while they are playing? Best of luck!

Don't pinball machines do that already?

#378 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Having more than 10 pins in a collection seems pointless...you know there's one machine collecting dust from not being played.

Not if you have 100 friends show up to play them …

rd

#379 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

I run tournaments and leagues all year. Parties outside of those times regularly too. I also play a ton. 16-20 seems more reasonable.

#380 2 years ago

I *love* the sound of GI relays clicking on and off on games from the eighties and nineties! I've thought about getting a GI OCD for my Big Guns but have held off because I don't want to lose the clicking sounds. When something cool happens and the lights start going crazy, I feel all that extra clicking just adds to the excitement!

#381 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

Brussel sprouts kick ass

Depends, toss them in olive oil cut in half add a dash of salt and roast them in the oven.

#382 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Example:

"Play hacking"-never heard going for a high score called that.

Yes, bashing against going for only the high scoring points would be quite an unpopular opinion for sure since one of the fundamental objectives of any pinball machine is getting a high score, and scoring more than the other players certainly is the whole point of any tournament.

That's almost being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. You could also say installing all 4 of the legs on the game is stupid and that too would be unpopular

Now if you mean something along the lines of playing for modes and storyline is more fun than going for points, that's a little different take.

#383 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Yes, bashing against going for only the high scoring points would be quite an unpopular opinion for sure since one of the fundamental objectives of any pinball machine is getting a high score, and scoring more than the other players certainly is the whole point of any tournament.
    That's almost being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. You could also say installing all 4 of the legs on the game is stupid and that too would be unpopular
    Now if you mean something along the lines of playing for modes and storyline is more fun than going for points, that's a little different take.

Their is a whole pot of points for the players keeping.
    Max out out the energy levels
    go for multi ball,
    transporting multiplier.
    Transporting itself.
    Cash in your energy levels every so often.
    Drop some banks.
    Get up into the pops.
    Vs
    Just Pound the spinners all day long.

#384 2 years ago

Ridiculous pople trying to convince OP that their unpopular opinion is wrong! (ducking behind desk now!...)

#385 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Sad isn't it

#386 2 years ago

Unpopular opinion: The best way to play any game with juiced spinners is

Quoted from Bmad21:

#387 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Their is a whole pot of points for the players keeping.
    Max out out the energy levels
    go for multi ball,
    transporting multiplier.
    Transporting itself.
    Cash in your energy levels every so often.
    Drop some banks.
    Get up into the pops.
    Vs

This is honestly one of the reasons I never got to deep into the pinball community. Yes, I know what makes sense points wise, but that's not as fun. Who wants to just time out a game mode just because it's more advantageous? One of the reasons tournaments were never my deal. Sure, I can get free RPMs on getaway by letting the ball drain until my free ride is out, doesn't mean I'm going to do it!

#388 2 years ago
    Quoted from sparksterz:

Sure, I can get free RPMs on getaway by letting the ball drain until my free ride is out, doesn't mean I'm going to do it!

That's a thing?

#389 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Example:

"There, they're, and their" - all 3 mean different things and are not interchangeable. Next time try using a couple different ones, maybe you'll get lucky.

#390 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

That's a thing?

It's the sole reason I sold my POTO. I watched someone miss the skill shot (which is the best way to start multiball) nudge the ball so it drains down the middle, and the game will give you a skill shot again. I tried it...sure enough, it works. You can even drain multiple times. Totally killed the game for me.

#391 2 years ago
    Quoted from truemagoo102:

It's the sole reason I sold my POTO. I watched someone miss the skill shot (which is the best way to start multiball) nudge the ball so it drains down the middle, and the game will give you a skill shot again. I tried it...sure enough, it works. You can even drain multiple times. Totally killed the game for me.

This only works if the playfield isn’t validated. It takes skill imo. Plunge too far and miss you’re done. POTO is broken because if you dial in the left ramp nothing else matters. Stinks cause the layout is fun to shoot.

#395 2 years ago

Lots of games have the free ball save if nothing is hit going for the skill shot. Whirlwind and RZ come to mind. Although it's hard not to hit anything on whirlwind

#396 2 years ago

I've never understood why people suddenly question others abilities or change their opinions on something associated with a person due to their transgressions.

Does John Trudeau's transgressions have anything to do with his pinball design?

Does Tiger Woods cheating on his wife have anything to do with golf?

Does Michael Jackson messing with kids have anything to do with his music?

Did OJ's issues have anything to do with him running in football games 15 years before?

If you liked the pinball game, golf or football playing abilities or music in the past, those things haven't changed at all, so; why all the sudden do the transgressions impact personal opinions on inanimate objects, etc.?

If you like Black Rose, you like Black Rose; it just happens that the designer did some bad stuff, it's irrelevant.

You can still belt out Billie Jean in the car and think Michael is a POS, a good song is a good song regardless.

#397 2 years ago
    Quoted from parksr5:

I've never understood why people suddenly question others abilities or change their opinions on something associated with a person due to their transgressions.
    Did OJ's issues have anything to do with him running in football games 15 years before?
    If you liked the pinball game, golf or football playing abilities or music in the past, those things haven't changed at all, so; why all the sudden do the transgressions impact personal opinions on inanimate objects, etc.?
    If you like Black Rose, you like Black Rose; it just happens that the designer did some bad stuff, it's irrelevant.
    You can still belt out Billie Jean in the car and think Michael is a POS, a good song is a good song regardless.

Maybe because these people have had money and adulation thrown at them for years, smiling and taking it all along while in private they were doing some awful shit. Maybe people feel guilty about being hoodwinked themselves.

Hasn't stopped me from cranking up a Michael Jackson song if I like it or made me sell my Creech. But if you ask me about the men themselves, I'll be happy to tell you they're slime.

#398 2 years ago
    Quoted from parksr5:

I also think it's important to remember that with a lot of these things, they were created by teams, not just a single person. Black Rose has design credited to John Trudeau *and* Brian Eddy, who also did the code. Music and sound by Paul Heitsch, artwork by Pat McMahon, dots by Scott Slomiany, and mechanics by John Krutsch and Ernie Pizarro. Is it really fair to throw out the hard work of the rest of the team just because one of them turned out to be a terrible person?

#399 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Lots of games have the free ball save if nothing is hit going for the skill shot. Whirlwind and RZ come to mind. Although it's hard not to hit anything on whirlwind

Pfff...Ball saves? Play better. There's no coddling in pinball!

#400 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Pfff...Ball saves? Play better. There's no coddling in pinball!

There are 1,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 24.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unpopular-opinion-thread/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.