Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,029 posts in this topic. You are on page 414 of 421.
#20651 51 days ago

Is anyone buying into the meds stock and bouncing out after the dividend payout?

#20652 51 days ago
Quoted from BRONX:

@o-din
Alot of these tangible companies haven't participated in the October low rally
For example...
Heinz(YTD off).....

Seems like 20-30 companies in the s&p500 are doing all the heavy lifting, while the other 470 stocks play dead or sink
Most of the heavy lifters are companies that weren't around in the 90s

KHC does seem to be a good value and pays a decent dividend

#20653 51 days ago

No, not bouncing out or playing it that way. I am in IXJ long term for a portion of my portfolio and am up 12.85% in the last few months.

Quoted from Dano:

Is anyone buying into the meds stock and bouncing out after the dividend payout?

#20654 51 days ago
Quoted from Dano:

I'm not sure what to think about that 20m micro cap with 1.23 million shares. It's going to pay out 9.8m in special divs. It's interesting to think about. Get in, grab the $8 in dividend. Get out when it goes ex div, presumably at an $8 loss all things remaining equal. If that happens you have gained nothing except a dividend taxed at income rate and an $8 short term loss to be taken against a gain somewhere else?

If you short it at $18 (where it is trading at this moment) and then close out your short after ex-div date then you have made $8. Still risky as it may not behave as you anticipate. They are selling what you would think is a large part of what looked like a small crappy money losing company prior to the div announcement.

Here is a PR on the sale of the asset, not much to learn here except it happened fast. https://www.dykema.com/news-insights/dykema-completes-sale-of-assets-for-trxade-health-inc.html Yahoo comments section rumor say they sold that asset for 22 million which would cover the special dividend and their 6 mil in debt, but I can't find anything to verify that.

Am I thinking wrongly about it? I think nwpinball made the safe money already. Not sure I would touch this now, but will be following for entertainment purposes.

#20655 51 days ago

I jumped big into semiconductors a few weeks ago with NVDA, AMD, TSM, QCOM and I've been regularly buying the semiconductor etf SMH since December. It's been a great ride and is still going strong today.

#20656 51 days ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

Nothing wrong with being cautious. I am still happily in T-bills, some SPY, some small amounts in other things and avoiding the FOMO and froth. The market may continue trotting along but you should go by your own risk appetite and what you need to sleep at night. Good luck all.
The NVDA jumps remind me of QUALCOMM 20 years ago .

While there is froth in a few stocks I see little reason to be cautious long term. Nothing wrong with 5% yields but the market as a whole is not in any kind of bubble.

#20657 51 days ago
Quoted from RTR:

Am I thinking wrongly about it? I think nwpinball made the safe money already. Not sure I would touch this now, but will be following for entertainment purposes.

I didn't sell yet, although I wish I did when it crossed $20 yesterday. I'm holding 400 shares at 18.5% profit currently trying to decide when to sell. I was hoping to see more upward movement today, but it's settled in around $17.50.

#20658 51 days ago

Live stream

PLTR

#20659 51 days ago

pinball2020
No kidding, cisco was doing the same thing back then. At one point cisco was one of the largest market cap stock, if not the largest

Nvidia is a bubble, huge bubble. Reason is simple. It's a tech stock! More so a semiconductor stock. These stocks a very cyclical. Just like oil, gold stock. One year they are a darling, next year they suck. Sometimes they suck for years on end. The party will end, unless they spend hundreds of billions on retained earnings on R&d. It's one of the reasons I wouldn't consider companies like Nvidia a forever hold. For starters, they can't pay premium dividends, the so called profit is imaginary as alot of it will need to make its way back to r&d. Stock buybacks are useless for $2.5tril enterprises. What would $25billion of excess cashflow do in stock buybacks of a $2.5trilion company? Squat. It's only a matter of time that competition from amd, Intel, whoever start chewing them alive. For now, yes Nvidia is a darling. Wouldn't surprise me one bit it hits $1000 tomorrow! Yes I missed out. On a different note, I can also see this darling under $200 in October if either the cycle starts to wane or the competition brings a product to market.

Nvidia is a bubble, it's not Moody's or visa

#20660 51 days ago

That was kinda a hot take on NVDA. I actually don't think it's too late, I expect it to keep climbing. If you think they will face competition to other semiconductor companies, why not invest in those that you think have more room to grow like AMD, TSM, and MRVL? Or the VanEck Semiconductor ETF and get exposure to all of them in your portfolio? I'm in all these, I don't think it's a bubble.

#20661 51 days ago

BRONX and kool1 I am bullish on the market overall for at least until June of next year. That being said:

kool1 - Thank you, I appreciate the guidance on no new bubbles. For the moment, I need to watch my investments because of changes going on in my life with my primary day job. To that end I try to make some comfortable choices for me so I can sleep at night.

BRONX - A problem from being around for a long time in the market(s) is that if you are once burnt, it is hard to be convinced "this time it is going to be different".

#20662 50 days ago

pinball2020
You are so right about "being burnt"
Yes I'm cautious
I learn from mistakes
History has a way to repeat itself over & over because nobody learns from past mistakes
nwpinball does make sense on buying some sort of semiconductor etf, that way the risk is not all in one company

#20663 50 days ago

Another problem with these high flying/high p/e ratio;is anything and absolutely anything can punish these stocks this late in the cycle. Let's use Nvidia? No offense but what a darling. What would happen if they once again blow past there earnings estimate next quarter but use some sort of caution for remaining of the year? What would happen to this high flighing $1000 stock? 30/40 percent drop? What happens if there funky looking cEO with that spunky black leather jacket mysteriously retires, drowns, get electrocuted, goes to jail, part of fishy accounting scandals,quits, moves to Canada, wants to hang out with Elon Musk, etc... once again think about how much burden nvda will possess. Then there's companies like and, stm, Intel,etc trying to outsmart Nvidia. Competition is fierce out there... I was watching Adm and I almost bought before they had some wonky accounting scandals last month. If I did buy, I would of ate atleast 30%. I liked the company, the business, and dividend. At the end of the day it dosent matter! I was flying high with snowflake, company absolutely demolished there earnings estimate, but they came out with conservative estimates for next quarter and the stock sank 30%. Silly to think a $75billion market cap company will sink 30%(22billion) because revenue estimates will be $8-$10million lighter for next quarter in/around $750mil. It just shows how a high flying, high capped company will be demolished over any paltry news. For Adm, it's the second major accounting scandal in the 2000s(not good)
3m is another good company going through old litigations, I don't know how much damages these litigations may cause, but 3m stock has been dead for years. I really like to bottom fish 3m, great earner, juicy dividend, bargain stock but will I be stuck holding the bag? Another one is Xcel energy, they are being blamed for the Texas wild fires, so once again more litigations. I'm not to sure, but if these litigations do pan out, can they sink Xcel, a good company and a steady juicy dividend payer?
So back to nvidiA, would I be better if buying $1000 etf on let's say Nasdaq100 and see what it's worth in 5yrs or buy 1 share in Nvidia at $1000/share... I'm curious on your opinions.

Right now if I had to pick a tech name I would go with the etf nasdaq100 or whatever ..
If I had to gamble $1000 I don't know perhaps I would take wolfspeed, having amazing week

#20664 50 days ago

BMore-Pinball
Yes Kraft Heinz is good, wall street would like to see more growth internationally. There some pressure with there brands going dull. I think there good but sales are a bit of a downer.
If following a similar company in Canada called Saputo

Long term, i think Kraft is good. Consumers got very cautious last few years with inflation headlines. I don't own any Kraft or Saputo, I was to focused on Adm.
Kraft div yield 4.64% with room to.grow.

It's back in my watchlist, if yield goes over 5.20% I will be inticed, better than a t-bill

#20665 50 days ago

I think Nvidia will keep climbing, but I don't think it has much more to run as it's going to hit kind of a 'hard cap' here pretty soon...that being Apple/Microsoft, the most valuable companies right now. I think that's the point where people would start to wonder whether this makes sense if it hits their valuation. Like most people can clearly see how much money they're giving to apple/microsoft every year, but nvidia? For the general public, it's only gamers really. So it starts to not pass the smell test.

#20666 50 days ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

BRONX and kool1 I am bullish on the market overall for at least until June of next year. That being said:
kool1 - Thank you, I appreciate the guidance on no new bubbles. For the moment, I need to watch my investments because of changes going on in my life with my primary day job. To that end I try to make some comfortable choices for me so I can sleep at night.
BRONX - A problem from being around for a long time in the market(s) is that if you are once burned, it is hard to be convinced "this time it is going to be different".

If you can't put money in long term stay out of the market absolutely.

A lot of people are chasing fast money and AI is the flavor of 2024 people are talking about at parties. FOMO is real and can carry high flyers a lot higher than they should go. Its OK and I'm glad we were positioned for this run. People will get burned trading but if these are part of a diverse long term portfolio you will always be fine.

Quoted from BRONX:

Another problem with these high flying/high p/e ratio;is anything and absolutely anything can punish these stocks this late in the cycle. Let's use Nvidia? No offense but what a darling. What would happen if they once again blow past there earnings estimate next quarter but use some sort of caution for remaining of the year? What would happen to this high flighing $1000 stock? 30/40 percent drop? What happens if there funky looking cEO with that spunky black leather jacket mysteriously retires, drowns, get electrocuted, goes to jail, part of fishy accounting scandals,quits, moves to Canada, wants to hang out with Elon Musk, etc... once again think about how much burden nvda will possess. Then there's companies like and, stm, Intel,etc trying to outsmart Nvidia. Competition is fierce out there... I was watching Adm and I almost bought before they had some wonky accounting scandals last month. If I did buy, I would of ate atleast 30%. I liked the company, the business, and dividend. At the end of the day it dosent matter! I was flying high with snowflake, company absolutely demolished there earnings estimate, but they came out with conservative estimates for next quarter and the stock sank 30%. Silly to think a $75billion market cap company will sink 30%(22billion) because revenue estimates will be $8-$10million lighter for next quarter in/around $750mil. It just shows how a high flying, high capped company will be demolished over any paltry news. For Adm, it's the second major accounting scandal in the 2000s(not good)
3m is another good company going through old litigations, I don't know how much damages these litigations may cause, but 3m stock has been dead for years. I really like to bottom fish 3m, great earner, juicy dividend, bargain stock but will I be stuck holding the bag? Another one is Xcel energy, they are being blamed for the Texas wild fires, so once again more litigations. I'm not to sure, but if these litigations do pan out, can they sink Xcel, a good company and a steady juicy dividend payer?
So back to nvidiA, would I be better if buying $1000 etf on let's say Nasdaq100 and see what it's worth in 5yrs or buy 1 share in Nvidia at $1000/share... I'm curious on your opinions.
Right now if I had to pick a tech name I would go with the etf nasdaq100 or whatever ..
If I had to gamble $1000 I don't know perhaps I would take wolfspeed, having amazing week

Nasdaq ETFs are great. We own lots and it's great for smaller portfolios especially

#20667 50 days ago

I bought a measly 15 shares of NVDA last year for an average around 250-280. Cashed out 5 shares when it hit 800 as I needed some cash. Holding on to the rest long term. I would not be getting into it now...that's just me personally. Actually I grabbed quite a bit of tech stocks on the dip last year. QQQ TQQQ NVDA AMD INTC. These are all long term holds for me though at the moment...unless I need more cash for my kids college TBD

#20668 50 days ago
Quoted from kool1:

Nasdaq ETFs are great. We own lots and it's great for smaller portfolios especially

Can you provide some mid to long term examples regarding AI ETF'?
Thanks again for all you do in this group.

#20669 50 days ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I bought a measly 15 shares of NVDA last year for an average around 250-280.

I got in way late regarding NVDA. As in 50 shares each at $680.00 and 50 at $844.00. Each time I think it can't go higher, it goes up another 15-30 bucks.
I'm waiting on the next dip to buy more.

#20670 50 days ago

I jumped into SWBI again a few months ago and it's up around 30% today on good earnings call.

#20671 50 days ago
Quoted from hank35:

Can you provide some mid to long term examples regarding AI ETF'?
Thanks again for all you do in this group.

NP. AIQ is the one we usually buy.

It's mostly large cap.

#20672 50 days ago

NVDA is getting scary. It just dropped 125 billion dollars in market capitalization in 30 minutes... the numbers are getting stupid. Next race is going to be for data for training the AI models...

#20673 50 days ago

NVDA has nosebleed valuation right now, but it's still looking like a long term winner.

#20674 50 days ago

I remember when Apple was $17/share. Literally. Not split, just $17.

My thing with nVidia is when is a dip a dip? I bought in around $230 and thought I can’t buy at $500 because it’s doubled in 6 months. Then it basically doubled again, with me on the sidelines.

I’m a failure at timing the market, and never know if the knife is falling, or we’re in good buying opportunity.

#20675 50 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Next race is going to be for data for training the AI models...

That race started years ago.

#20676 50 days ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

My thing with nVidia is when is a dip a dip? I bought in around $230 and thought I can’t buy at $500 because it’s doubled in 6 months. Then it basically doubled again, with me on the sidelines.
I’m a failure at timing the market, and never know if the knife is falling, or we’re in good buying opportunity.

This is where I'm at. Too many times, I've bought the dip, only for it to dip even further and stay there. Sure I could have bought NVDA at $500....but in most cases regardless of the news, my experience has been price drops. I don't really like the emotional waves of the market and when a run is a sustained run or just a push to profit taking.

#20677 50 days ago

Everyone keeps talking about Nvidia.
Nobody talk about super micro computers. Pull out a 5yr chart in both companies. Super micro computers not only has out performed Nvidia is has absolutely destroyed Nvidia

Me, I don't care. Let Bitcoin go to a trillion bucks, let Nvidia and super micro computers go up to $10,500/share each. And let every American investor become instant millionaires. I'm still not buying!

Unfortunately, this is my bold prediction..... In let's say 5yrs from now? We will still be talking about stocks, which is hot, which one sucks. Some will retire, some will lose there shirt, but most of us will be talking about a brand new juicy stock, that's just not on the radar as of yet. It might be a ai stock like Nvidia? It could be a company like Tesla, maybe Exxon or get? Whatever that company is, buy it today or wait for it to be incorporated. I don't have a crystal ball, I don't think most of you pinsiders do either. Whatever you guys decide, I hope u guys all the best.

During the dot com era 1999-2002 most of the promised companies are either bankrupt or still trading today but nowhere near the stock highs of 2001. Just ask losers like cisco, juniper networks, America online, yahoo, Vitesse, Nortel networks, you get my point.

Amazon was a true winner from that era, apple computers in 2001 was days away from filling bankruptcy, who was Nvidia back then! amd won of course, so did Microsoft big time. Intel was actually fetching $70+ in 2000 lol.
In 1980 IBM was the highest market capper in the world.

I think you guys get my take. But if I remember correctly ever decades top 10 market cap stocks, rolling over into the next decade you might see 1 or 2 names on that list, the other 8 or 9 are newbees.

Will Nvidia, super micro, and the rest of this Ai frenzy be on the top 10 market cappers in 2034?
I say no

#20678 50 days ago

I had $98 I didn't know what to do with so I bought 1 NVDA Put for $700 that expires next Friday.
It was too tempting . Worse case, I had fun for $98.

#20679 50 days ago

pinball2020
Hey you might be on to something!

Curious what you pinsiders use for nasdaq100 etf with lowest mgmt fees?
Thank you

#20680 50 days ago

With that MEDS stock with the $8 dividend announcement, I ended up selling 200 shares after I thought it may have topped off at $18.75, then held the other 200. It's been climbing each day, now at $23.07, so I'm holding until next week. Small fries investment, but it seems to be working out well for me.

#20681 50 days ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I think Nvidia will keep climbing, but I don't think it has much more to run as it's going to hit kind of a 'hard cap' here pretty soon...that being Apple/Microsoft, the most valuable companies right now. I think that's the point where people would start to wonder whether this makes sense if it hits their valuation. Like most people can clearly see how much money they're giving to apple/microsoft every year, but nvidia? For the general public, it's only gamers really. So it starts to not pass the smell test.

Nividia is more than just Game Graphics Cards. There is much more at play with Nividia.

#20682 50 days ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

With that MEDS stock with the $8 dividend announcement, I ended up selling 200 shares after I thought it may have topped off at $18.75, then held the other 200. It's been climbing each day, now at $23.07, so I'm holding until next week. Small fries investment, but it seems to be working out well for me.

Seems like you do well with the small bets

#20683 50 days ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Seems like you do well with the small bets

It's my "play money" for investing. But if I can make a few extra grand here and there, I will invest it in a pinball machine or a more safe investment.

#20684 50 days ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Nividia is more than just Game Graphics Cards. There is much more at play with Nividia.

Yep, while they also sell alot of gaming graphics cards through retail, Amazon, Meta, Microsoft and Alphabet account for nearly 40% of Nvidia's revenue. They also sell GPUs directly to Dell, HP, Toshiba, Sony and other manufacturers for their PCs and laptops.

#20685 50 days ago

My son - who’s 18 - recommended nVidia to me years ago, because he’s a gamer and they make the best graphics cards. Wish I’d listened.

Now with the AI angle, there’s a lot more to it.

There here for awhile IMO.

#20686 50 days ago

BRONX what you said could be said about any company. Things move much faster than they used to. I think the days of 'holding a stock for 50 years' and making a killing is nearing an end. Either that, or the way things are going there will be 10 companies that own everything, in which case zero competition, and you just invest in them all and while you think you are making money on them, you are losing money buying the product as the consumer and prices continue to go up so it's a wash.

#20687 50 days ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Don't try and time it with all of your money. Most of it should ride in ETFs and Index funds. Play around with 20% of it. I took a big chunk out to buy an investment property but I ended up walking away during the inspection period. Sadly, that hurt my return percentage for last year.

#20688 50 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

NVDA is getting scary. It just dropped 125 billion dollars in market capitalization in 30 minutes... the numbers are getting stupid. Next race is going to be for data for training the AI models...

If it walks like a duck...well you know. This company doesn't manufacture, they outsourced it to the likes of TSMC. So, they literally they don't make anything...it's all intellectual property. Last week it was almost as valuable as Apple...think about it, that alone will give you pause. It's insanity. Trade this all you want but owning it at these levels is like going to Vegas. AMD will unveil a chip to take them on, sooner, rather than later...then the valuation will be come back down to earth.

#20689 49 days ago

Anyone else notice gold has been banging out new highs each day?

counting_coins_02.gifcounting_coins_02.gif
#20690 49 days ago

I'm doing well, in 2024 (I started investing mid February).

I'm holding GOOS, SHAK, ROKU, VFC, Z, DOCU, W, TGT, PYPL, MTCH, SRPT, MDGL. I made 100% on VKTX and sold at 75 a share, the day it doubled. I lost money on ROKU, but it will rebound. Did well on SHAK and TGT earnings and made a little on DOCU earnings yesterday/today. I might re-enter VKTX, if it dips to 60.

Between 2011 and 2022, I did some day trading and lost $350k over that time. Now, I'm up about $350k, since mid Feb. Therefore, I'm just breaking even, for my life as a trader.

#20691 49 days ago
Quoted from RTR:Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered.

Bears win. Bulls win. Pigs get slaughtered. Anyhow, that's the one I've heard.

#20692 46 days ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Anyone else notice gold has been banging out new highs each day?
[quoted image]

Yes - I mentioned it a few days ago. Breakout.

Quoted from kvan99:

If it walks like a duck...well you know. This company doesn't manufacture, they outsourced it to the likes of TSMC. So, they literally they don't make anything...it's all intellectual property. Last week it was almost as valuable as Apple...think about it, that alone will give you pause. It's insanity. Trade this all you want but owning it at these levels is like going to Vegas. AMD will unveil a chip to take them on, sooner, rather than later...then the valuation will be come back down to earth.

Not as insane as you think. The growth in sales and profit is very real and very strong.

Most successful tech companies do not manufacture anything. Manufacturing is low margin.

#20693 46 days ago

Thoughts on the Reddit IPO? I think it will tank as soon as it starts.

Not only that...as soon as it goes public, it will go downhill.

#20694 46 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

...as soon as it goes public, it will go downhill.

Yes, I’m worried about the enshittification of Reddit. I’m pretty happy with it as it is right now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enshittification

“Here is how platforms die: first, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves. Then, they die. I call this enshittification, and it is a seemingly inevitable consequence arising from the combination of the ease of changing how a platform allocates value, combined with the nature of a "two sided market", where a platform sits between buyers and sellers, hold each hostage to the other, raking off an ever-larger share of the value that passes between them.

Notably, Pinside has avoided this trap - it’s only gotten better over the years. IMO.

#20695 46 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yes, I’m worried about the enshittification of Reddit. I’m pretty happy with it as it is right now

Reddit and most of the internet is toast once AI bots take over. It's happening too quickly alreadyl.

#20696 46 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Thoughts on the Reddit IPO? I think it will tank as soon as it starts.
Not only that...as soon as it goes public, it will go downhill.

Bad time to be a social media company right now- look at what's happening to tik-tok.

#20697 46 days ago

Just finished up my MEDS trade. Sold the first 200 shares up 25%, just sold the final 200 up 110%. Wish I'd held it all until today, but I'm still up $4,500 in 6 days.

#20698 46 days ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Just finished up my MEDS trade. Sold the first 200 shares up 25%, just sold the final 200 up 110%. Wish I'd held it all until today, but I'm still up $4,500 in 6 days.

Now to dump it straight into CLRO lol

#20699 46 days ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Now to dump it straight into CLRO lol

50 cent dividend announcement isn't quite like $8, but at a lower buy in cost, I can see a similar rush to buy it, take the dividend, and get out, driving the price up significantly.

#20700 46 days ago

Boeing is now officially on my radar after getting hammered for another 2 days. Going to wait for a while and I don't expect a quick recovery - just trying to think like Buffet.

Also watching Palo Alto Networks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Boards
PinSound

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
There are 21,029 posts in this topic. You are on page 414 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/414?hl=jeep-mustang and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.