kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bmore-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

802 posts in this topic match your search for posts by bmore-pinball. You are on page 1 of 4.
#410 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Just a little update on my Prosper account. Nearly a year in now and I'm averaging 11.7% return which is beating my expectations by a large margin. This is still WAY too short of a time frame to properly judge but I'm impressed with what I'm seeing. I did "customize" my account with certain restrictions on how my money is loaned out and I also customized the percentages assigned to the loan ratings (AA through E). I'm weighted mostly in the B & C class loans (55%) with A & D classes representing 35% and E at 10% (I have 0% in AA).

Unfortunately in the great state of MD you can't invest in Prosper

2 weeks later
#425 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It's not a stock I own ....they take your money and loan it out to people. It's referred to as "peer to peer" lending. I have mine set up as a Roth account but you can also just do straight lending.

Lame. Same with Lending Club? I couldn't do Lending Club but could do Prosper.

Was able to do lending club, seeded it with $5k just to observe how it works and if it's any good

2 weeks later
#443 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Yeah I'm generally not a fan of LTC insurance.

I have seen people lose a large majority of their savings due to long term health issues later in life.
I'm a big fan of insurance .... never think of it until you actually use it.

2 years later
#1588 4 years ago

Best stocks i ever bought were purchased at the end of 2008 - beginning of 2009 when the market was in complete panic
I ought quality companies with 4-6% dividend payments
Collected the dividends while i waited for the market to work out
Most of those stocks ended up being 300% gains

this week feels very similar to 08/09

#1735 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You thumb me down for posting facts? All I did was put some perspective into what a huge drop would mean in relation to the last ten years.
Are you scared or being defensive?

sorry, I think that was a miss-click and meant to click the thumbs up

#1736 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

You’ve got to be buying oil.

how did that work out?

#1740 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I see a lot of talk about dividend stocks on here. Are folks primarily buying for the dividend? My broker and I tend to buy stocks that we think are going to have movements up and if they pay a dividend while we wait, that is a bonus. Just curious how others are approaching this.

I like a quality undervalued company that pays a dividend.
If the stock trades sideways for years, you are still collecting 5%

#1756 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Makes sense. We tend to be a little more active in our trading so if we find an investment that is going sideways and we think that if there is a better opportunity somewhere else at the time (factoring in dividends), we tend to move over. I hate having dead money locked up.

I agree, but sometimes you have a sideways market and earning 5% returns from a solid company is not bad - especially in a bear market

#1758 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I was dumb and bought the last dip. Luckily not all of my cash though, still have a chunk to trade when we finally hit bottom.
We just had conference after conference cancel at work. Im not buying shit for a while.

maybe dumb today - but i think all we be find 1-2 years from now
It never feels good buying against the market

#1763 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Looks like the early morning relief rally has faded. But the day is still young.
Some of you talk about Boeing. I think Boeing, a major DOW stock, will see $200.00 per share as this virus crisis (or whatever you want to call it) continues.

Boeing is probably overpriced at $200 at this point in time

#1868 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

These are all DOW stocks.
Boeing, BA is down $27.00 today. Now priced at $161.00. On Feb. 18, 2020, Boeing was a $340.00 stock. Down $178.00.

BA has a multitude of issues, not sure it's even worth $100
I sold this a while back north of $400 - one of my best moves

#1878 4 years ago

You are not going to be able to solve irrational fear and panic with monetary policy.
Nothing is going to cure is absurd fear but time

#1950 4 years ago

some more big drops next week would not surprise me

#2068 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I personally hit the nuke button today and pulled out. Did this in 2008. Is sucks, but based upon the data that I have this is going to get a lot worse before we rebound. I think the rebound is going to be spectacular, so this is a way to preserve capital now to make up more than my current losses on the recovery. Moves I made the past 2 weeks did limit my downside, so that is a minor win. Good luck to all.

This is not a great move, but more people will follow.
I held steady in 2008 and made selective purchases - I felt like an idiot buying back them but had several buys turn into 300%+ gains
Once most of the people with your fear get out, and this virus passes us by - I have a feeling market will move up quickly
Would not be surprised to see a 5,000+ point gain in a week in early summer.
With interest rates at 0% and possibly negative, not many people are going to keep money on the sideline once we get through this mess and economy starts to recover.
Really difficult not to panic sell at this point, but in the history of stock market drops - every single one of them became a buying opportunity.
At some point this will also be that opportunity.

#2074 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I don’t follow. All you did was lock in your loss. What’s your strategy from here?

Once the majority of those type of people are out of the market, we can start searching for the bottom
Historically, they usually end up getting out at the worse possible point

#2143 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Can Boeing survive the Max and COVID 19?

I would take a look at BA when it sinks under $30

#2152 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

It's sad. Trump is just pushing this mass spending to prop up his polls and increase his chance of re-election. And you're right, we'll be long gone but our kids and their kids will suffer because of these short sighted decisions. I guess if you don't have kids, you might not care as much, but for those of us that do, it's depressing.

Politics aside - and not stating an opinion on what he is doing .....
He is in a no-win situation with people that do not like him. There is nothing he can do to make his haters happy.
If he was not pushing the spending, they would be saying "people and businesses are hurting and he is not doing enough"

#2154 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Picked up 100 of ABR today. Can get some more if it drops more but wanted to get that first 100. Expecting to get 30-60 more in the next few weeks.

Only thing that worries me about that stock is: with the 08/09 crash they cut their dividend which kills a stock with a high dividend
I understand it's a different situation, and the 08/09 crisis directly effected them ... but still

thoughts?

#2179 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The rules are being made up as we go along.

Always seems that way with government, we seem to always be more reactionary then proactive.

#2196 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Boeing is off $22.00 per share. Now priced at $101.00 per share. 1 month ago it was a $330.00 stock. Now there is talk that the dividends need to go away. If Boeing holds out its hand for some govt. money, I agree the dividend needs to go away.
I wonder just how low can it go?

I am a buyer @ $20 -$30

#2206 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For anyone in a rush to buy:
If you bought the top in 1998, it was 2007 before you got back to even and that was only for a very short time. And from the 2007 top it was 2013 before you got back to even.
If you want to buy, I think you will have lots of time to find a place to buy. Trying to pick bottoms can be suicide.
[quoted image]

pretty sure we are currently not at the top
arguably not at the bottom either, but no where near the top

#2208 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

And this is why I pulled out. I do not want dead money in the market.

good move if you can pull out close to the top - which was early Feb
otherwise if you pull out close to the bottom and the recovery passes you by, you did yourself no favors

#2209 4 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

I bought MAR and USFD + more XOM and GE today. Long 15-20 years timeline.

I think MGM right now is a much better buy than MAR
USFD looks interesting at these levels
XOM - not sure I would touch oil right now
GE has had too many past issues for me - similar to BA

#2294 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

It’s funny, I’m 42 and have a lucrative career. It used to be my ambition to retire in my mid fifty’s with a sum that would allow me to never work again. As I get older, I don’t think that is my plan anymore. 2 years ago I bought my dream house, which was incredibly expensive but a tremendous investment opportunity as it was significantly under valued. I have to pay this off, but I think I should be able to in the next 15 years or so while maintaining my current lifestyle. This is a long way around the horn to say that not only do I need to work for a while, but that I want to work longer. I enjoy what I do and take great pride in my work. My technical counterpart that I worked with for the past 4 years just retired at the age of 76. He has several millions of assets so has not needed to work for a while. However, he loved meeting with clients with me and said that work kept him young. I am meeting more and more people that are telling me similar things. I guess I will see how things play out as I get older but my thoughts on this have really started evolving over the last 6 months or so. Is anybody else having similar thoughts about wanting to work longer?

Would not consider retirement until I was debt free
and retirement to me just means working a more casual less stress job

#2295 4 years ago

Old malaria drug hydroxychloroquine may help cure coronavirus: study

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/old-malaria-drug-hydroxychloroquine-may-help-cure-coronavirus-study/

The treated group was given 600 mg of Plaquenil each day.

The researchers found that 50 percent of the treated group turned from positive to negative for the virus by the third day — and by day six, that figure was up to 70 percent.

Of the 20 test patients, six of them who were treated with both Plaquenil and the antibiotic Azithromycin showed impressive results — with five testing negative at day three. All six of them tested negative at day six.

“Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin,” the study concluded.

if this comes to fruition in the next few days, the market could shoot up very quickly

#2307 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'm moving away from individual stocks and going more ETFs, but the stocks I still have are mostly aristocrats. They've increased their dividend 25+ (some 50+) years in a row. Some of them are now yielding 7-10%. They'll do anything to keep their aristocrat status, so if you want to gamble you could be setting yourself up for life buying those now.
I worked at Leggett & Platt for 10 years. They are one of those 7% yielding aristocrats. That is their single most important metric. They led every internal quarterly earnings release mentioning it. During the financial crisis, they made corporate departments fire around 10% of employees to keep the earnings going. I'll never forget when our bosses came around to everybody's office and went through their office supplies taking any excess to ration to other employees. If we had more than a couple of pens, they took the rest. Same with paperclips, post-its, etc.

A good indication is looking back at the financial crisis of 08/09 and see what companies kept their dividend going

#2506 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Cruise ships can go straight to hell! Don't care of they go under.
The airlines will get a bailout package. Many of the restaurant owners I talked to won't make it two months shutdown. I think alot of restaurants will go under. Support your local Mom and Pop places!

A lot of people from poor countries find good employment on cruise ships
They are huge employers, would not be good for the economy for them to go under
Not to mention the impact on the ports they leave from and visit

#2525 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

DOW 1000 , too many reasons to list .

so ~ 95% drop from current levels
I don't see a path
It's going lower but that's end of the world low and this virus doesn't get us to end of the world - next one maybe

#2556 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

If anyone is looking for a potential lotto play betting on a full recovery after this mess, a stock that can rip 300-500% in the next year, look at STKS (One Group Hospitality) they own the high end STK steakhouse chains and Kona Grills. Their revenues have been rising year over year, and were $4.50+ before this mess, and currently sitting around ~$0.90/share.
Totally speculative but when this recovers this stock will blast off IMO.

High end and luxury items are the first things to take a hit in a recession
Not something I would jump into

#2558 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Why does the bounce in the market feel like a false flag?

Because until you can turn on the news and the virus is a 5 min. segment instead of the entire news cast - people are still going to panic and sell stocks

#2690 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This feels almost like a bull trap to me. People are excited but nothing has fundamentally changed. I missed the timing on Boeing but the others on my list are all still there. Anybody else feel this way?

I agree, some stocks are up 50 -100% from their lows a week ago. There has got to be massive profit taking soon.
I just can't see calling a bottom until we stop the 24/7 virus news cycle.
I think after another weekend of people staying home watching the virus news network, monday will be another strong down day

of course i could be 100% wrong - would not be the first time

#2704 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The fed has indicated they are willing to have "Unlimited" stimulus to do what they can.
Something stinks about all of this right now. Then they want to rush the opening up of everything in a couple of weeks? Risk making matters worse rather than let the storm pass?
If this backfires, and chances are it will, then things can get uglier.. even faster than we saw a couple weeks ago. People have such short memories. They see green days in the stock market and all is well again... When it goes down they see blood. Amazing how the stock market can change a persons sentiment almost immediately. People seeing this rally over the last few days may even think the virus is going away now..

Honestly, politics aside, I don't think anybody is trying to rush anything.
I think the Easter opening is just trying to create some positivity and is open to change when/if circumstances necessitate - we can't stay shut down forever.
In reality, things are being evaluation on a daily basis and nothing is set in stone for any future date

#2709 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Dead cat bounce?

give it another weekend of 48 hours of nonstop virus news and lets see with the market does on Monday

I would not touch Boeing at these levels

#2712 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I hope you are right. Like others have mentioned, I too have been waiting on the right time to dump a bunch of money in and feel like I missed my chance.

I think FOMO is one of the factors driving the market higher this week & short sellers cashing in

#2947 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I suck at this. How is EVERYTHING up right now? Thought we would see another plunge today.

I agree, assume it's a reaction to massive stimulus
give it a few days - I would not be buying today
difficult to see how anything good comes out of long term economic shutdown - even with the fed

#3016 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Just put in an order for 1,000 shares of BURG... the parent company of Hooters at $.31 a share (a whoping $300). It is currently at .38$. I am still of the opinion that restaurant stocks are beyond bargain basement prices right now and will rebound in the coming year. If what they say is true and 1/3 of Restaurants go out of business, where are their customers going to go? Yes there may be less customers, but I have a feeling there will be an even smaller supply of restaurants to serve that need.

I think hooters was on the decline before the virus
During times like these, you only want to buy the strongest companies, even if they are at a more expensive valuation

#3042 4 years ago

if you want to buy a solid restaurant, put your money in MCD
you can always buy this on the dips with confidence and pays a solid dividend
Cheap food sells in a recession/depression

#3072 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I read an article about one of the cruise lines today. They have offered refunds to customers and something like 45% of the customers took credit instead of a refund.
I am leaning towards a lot of humans having a short memory span. Cruise lines and airlines will have some great deals this summer and I believe a lot of people with take those deals. Those with credit with those businesses will be using that credit before it expires. And millennials will take advantage of the cheap fairs.
Now, I am not saying everything will go back to last years levels. But I believe they will have a bunch of people take those deals. Their stocks will recover decently from where they are today.
That’s my prediction!

I agree about short memories, but the virus is going to be with us in some version for a long time until have an effective vaccine. It's not going to 100% disappear - so it's not going to take much to remind people that going on a cruise where everyone is eating at the same buffet is a risk. It can easily reignite on a cruise this summer from a single carrier. I love cruises, and have been on a lot with the family - but I am not buying in again so soon.

#3086 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Carnival is trading at a 24 year low now.

this could have something to do with it.
Some of these lines could go bankrupt?

#3152 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Seems fair. Only restaurant I have on my list is MCD. I saw on CNBC today that somebody (edit: Jim Chanos) was negative on Dunkin, Wendys, and a few others. Take it with a grain of salt as he is a pretty big short seller.

I think DNKN is a buy around these levels, but I would own SBUX first as the stronger company

#3154 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Well let me tell you about my 300 shares of DAL, now down 44% from my entry point at around 40 bucks. I’m holding on because I think Delta will be one of the last airlines standing, but there’s a nonzero chance that ALL of the airlines will reorganize under bankruptcy. Very few international flights for the next 9-18 months, and even domestic is a question mark.
I made the classic mistake of looking at the dividend at saying “hey, I’m happy with just getting 3-4% while I hold this”. Now all of the airlines have cancelled their dividends to raise cash. It’s a cluster.

I bought into DAL also before realizing how bad things were getting
Cut my losses and got out today.

I personally have 0 desire to fly anywhere that is not a necessity for at least the rest of the year

#3221 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Seems like the market wants to take off like a rocket ship from here on the slightest bit of good news, but needs an atomic bomb to make it fall right now. I'm just trying to figure out who's right regarding the overall economy: It ranges from "full-blown depression" to happy days are here again in 3-4 months. It's hard to know what to do when respected people are so far apart in what they believe the future holds.

the bigger they are they harder they fall

#3223 4 years ago

I fall solidly in this corner.
Jumped out on the way down at 22k. Jumped back in at 20k on the way up in the kids college fund and IRAs, jumped in Monday morning with the 401k. I have been burned 1 time in the stock market, and that was back in 2011-2012 betting against the market right before they unleashed "Quantitative easing". When the government starts throwing money around, in general, the market goes up. I think the bottom of the market will be in before the worst of the virus hits... which is coming in the next 30 days here in the USA (me thinks). I'm losing my butt on my speculative single stock plays, but am holding on to them for now. I bought Cracker Barrel at 99, it's at 84.88 after market (it briefly dipped down below 70). I bought Red Robin at 12, it's at 10.60 after hours. It was down below 7 last week but has surged 40% in the past 24 hours. I may keep Cracker Barrel long term, but with stocks fluctuating so much I think the restaraunt stocks are oversold. I will probably dump Red Robin in the next month. I am looking at cruise stocks right now, and think Carnival will not be hit as hard as the other cruise lines. It has been my experience that Carnival Cruisers are generally younger than those of the other lines (they are essentially party boats filled with younger people) and will not be hit as hard. There is a fire sale on them right now. Once I can pull a profit of RRGB (somewhere between 15 and 20 a share) I will probably bail on them and go long on Carnival. With the exception of Red Robin and Six Flags (which I pulled a 30% profit on in 24 hours) I am only buying stocks that I think will recover strongly over the next few years if they don't do well short term.
Please note that I am no stock sage, and the vast majority of my retirement/kids college funds are in mutual funds run by professionals. I am throwing around some of my IRA in individual stocks that I can afford to lose, and believe the slow and steady is the way to win in the long run.

Restaurants, Cruise Lines, Movies, Hotels are going to be difficult going forward.
Even when the country opens up who is running out to a Red Robin on jumping on a cruise.
I am itching to eat out, but not so sure I want to sit down in a restaurant so soon
I speculated on Cruise lines and lost a "boat load" - I would not buy in with my worst enemies money - there are much safer bets out there.

Six Flags is probably a good bet, the younger generation will flock to amusement parks this summer. They are usually within driving distance and are "cheap" fun
In hotel space, if you want to jump in MGM is a good bet as they are mostly gambling which, though shut down now, it's an addiction and companies like SBUX that sell addictions are always a good investment.

#3248 4 years ago

As long as there is 24/7 virus coverage, we are in a bear market
Only a fool is buying into the rally this week
FOMO is driving the market higher

#3273 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Well shoot, I bought a little TZA today but had a Dr appointment so I set a trailing stop loss and got bounced out of it while I was at my appointment [quoted image][quoted image]

was always told you should never enter your trailing stops as sell orders with your broker
enter them just as an alert and manually make the sale

#3278 4 years ago

in on some STZ today
when the market drops some i will add to my position - but alcohol sales are strong through this pandemic

#3339 4 years ago

I'm about 40% in the market right now
I fully expect another decent drop coming where I will add to my positions and buy new ones.
My uneducated guess puts the market back up to at least current levels before i need to cash out
As trading is not my job, I just can't try and time that market like others do

#3440 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Or, the news is really bad and the unemployment numbers skyrocket and we hit Dow 30K +-500 by Friday.
At this point, who the fuck knows...

Problem with unemployment numbers are that a large percentage of them are temporary.
I know some small business owners that are collecting unemployment while they are closed

#3463 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Anyone here have a favorite penny stock they’re taking a gamble on? I’m mostly looking to jump into the market soon with some O&G penny stocks, but am interested in throwing money at other penny stocks for fun if there’s a Somewhat logical reason behind it.

All pot stocks - These are long term holds and the swings are wild

HEXO
KSHB
HRVSF

#3504 4 years ago

Agreed, in the days of cheap 70” 4K TV’s and killer sound systems who want to go to the theatre and pay $25.00 for popcorn and a soda.. only to have the back of your seat kicked repeatedly for 2 hours.

my kids do - they go all the time

1 week later
#3833 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I wear an N95 that has the exhale valve (supposed to be more comfortable) and it is still very hot. No way could I wear it for any length of time in 90+ degree high humidity weather. That pretty much rules out Florida from June to October.

for you, but the exhale values makes the mask useless for protection to others around you if you are infected.

#3878 3 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

We are in the market for a new car and GM has dropped trade ins dramatically plus reduced cash discount offers. We are getting 3k less for our trade from the feb/March value. I have a good friend who owns a Chevy dealership and he is hoping trade values come up in May and better cash offers. The push in payments is nice and zero interest but with I’m ultimately paying 6-7 thousand more than if I traded in feb or March. They need to fix this to get me to buy in May.

there are few active auctions right now for dealers to dump used cars they take in. Hence the lower trade in value since they have to sit on it or try and sell it on their lot.

#3895 3 years ago

Looks like AMZN shit the bed, was down $160.00 per share after hours... Let see what Apple does here in a few minutes.

Amazon’s CEO tells investors ‘you may want to take a seat,’ as he explains why the company will spend ‘entirety’ of $4 billion profit

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amazons-ceo-tells-investors-if-youre-shareowner-you-may-want-to-take-a-seat-as-he-explains-why-the-company-will-spend-entirety-of-4-billion-profit-2020-04-30

#3958 3 years ago

Are you buying GLD ETF or?

I have been buying CEF as it avoids the 28% collectibles tax that applies to gold ETFs) like the SPDR Gold Shares Fund (GLD).
Sprott Physical Gold and Silver Trust (CEF) sidesteps this nonsense.
CEF holds gold and silver bullion in a bank vault in Canada and doesn't buy, sell, or trade. It simply sits on its precious metals in Canada. And this helps it avoid the collectables tax. You see, the trust is Canadian and receives a special designation. It's considered a Passive Foreign Investment Company ("PFIC"), and that means any gains you receive from investing in CEF are taxed at normal capital gains rates.
So instead of taking a nasty 28% hit during tax time, CEF allows you to avoid this incredibly high tax.

#3985 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

One slight technique to consider when buying a car. Dealers make more money now on financing than the car itself in a lot of cases. Hence, why you do not get as good as a deal paying cash. I talked with my dealer and asked them the minimum amount of time I would need to finance to get the best price and it turned out to be 3 months, because at that time they get their credit for the finance deal. Verify that the amount of discount you get for financing this minimum amount of time is greater than the interest that you would pay for the same amount of time and there you go. At the end of the 3 months, you just pay off your note. I have bought my last 3-4 cars this way with great success and great savings. These were all in the 40-50K range, so it might not be as applicable in the lower dollar amounts.

Once you finance, they can't control how long until you pay it off.
In MD no prepayment penalty so you can pay it off with the first payment.

#4010 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I've never seen it on any of my loans, but Toyota Finance put a prepayment penalty (I think it was for 1 year) on my in-laws' loan a few years ago. This was in Florida.

In Maryland they can't -
against MD law.

1 week later
#4072 3 years ago

Stock market drops 30% and Chipotle goes up 30%.. I don’t get it! Chipotle is food is over rated IMHO

My kids love it - probably in their top 5

#4124 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I missed buying in before Monday but bought some beaten down stocks yesterday and this morning - DIS, EPD, JPM and ESNT. Will add some more over time.

I would not call DIS beaten down at this point

#4126 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

As the stock market barrels on, people's rents are coming due.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/20/success/rent-housing-crisis-coronavirus-covid-19/index.html
"The couple have about 30 tenants, and "half of them are either laid off or furloughed or in some state of employment limbo," he said. "How long can it last? I have no idea what to expect."

"If rental income isn't coming in for landlords, Schuetz explained, they can't pay their mortgages. But it's not just that. They also won't be able to afford the property taxes that fund local governments, including things like public health programs."
The coronavirus has "just drawn attention to problems that existed already," Schuetz said. "But hopefully this will also make middle-income voters a little more conscious that we all suffer when we have people who are unhoused or unstably housed."

I have a friend that is a comptroller for a company that owns a lot of apt. complexes. I have heard all the horror stories. Eviction was difficult before, now it's a nightmare.

2 weeks later
#4254 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Post 2008 REITS rallied 300% over the next 2 years. Buying a handful now. STOR, MPW, FRT, BRX, IRM, BAM. There are 24 positions in my Core REIT model.
As for “buying stock”. I’m just giving you guys some of my own ideas fwiw
I manage about $600 million of client assets. That's my business. I also own real estate which is a bad investment by comparison. Terrible actually!
But when I can make +100% returns since April 2nd in stocks like TTD, TWLO, SHOP and a few others
Mix in MELI, OKTA, SE, AYX, ZM, TDOC, MGB
And AAPL, AMZN, GOOGL etc
Read my commentary and take it for what it’s worth.
I’ve crushed it for myself and my clients
Just bought some CCL for myself. "in the ditch" that's coming back

Thanks for these
STOR up nicely today!

#4261 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

My glib response whenever anyone asks me about anything having to do with crypto is “I have some tulips to sell you if you are interested.”

I thought the same thing for years, but I finally went in on some BitCoin
Put in money that I won't miss if it goes to Zero - but the potential payout is huge - much better odds than the slots and you have to gamble sometimes

#4269 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I went in pretty hard yesterday on oil stocks that were in the ditch OXY, SLB, HAL as well as financials with JPM and COF. I also bought MGM with the casinos opening today. This adds to my LVS and CNTY.

pat myself on the back, bought into MGM @ $7.66

#4271 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

My glib response whenever anyone asks me about anything having to do with crypto is “I have some tulips to sell you if you are interested.”

This is why it's worth the gamble with money you can afford to loose

Bloomberg Predicts Bitcoin Price to Surge Past $20,000 in 2020, Doubling Last Year’s High
https://blockchain.news/analysis/bloomberg-predicts-bitcoin-price-surge-20000-2020

#4286 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Unbelievable.
Just defies all rational logic.
Do markets go down any more?
Ride it hard until it turns.

It's rational when you take a look at the fed and interest rates
same thing that drove the market up in 2009
not much out there to compete with the market for returns when interest rates are 0 and teetering on negative

#4287 3 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Can someone please talk me off the ledge....
Because of all the market uncertainty and the fact that I thought the jobs report was going to be a bust, we cashed out most of our 401k yesterday. We were tired of worrying that the market was going to plummet again and wanted our money to be safe.
Woke up this morning and so want a do over.

Not sure what to tell you...
If you are near retirement and need safe investments - there are places to park you money that won't earn much interest but it will be "safe"
Everything I read tells me the market is going higher. It's still going to be a roller coaster week to week, but when you look back at it in a year or 2 ......
Only you can evaluate your needs and risk level/tolerance

#4303 3 years ago

ICE - do you have a newsletter we can subscribe to?

#4317 3 years ago

Thoughts on NCMI
I know it's a difficult buy with theaters shut down, but when they open I figure pre-show advertising for revenue is going to be more important than ever

#4333 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well money is moving today from "the ditch" to tech growth again. Apple all time high, TTD, SE etc. etc.
I bought more MAC today, my total position is now 50,411 shares for disclosure purposes.
Also initiated a new position in LVGO for myself and some clients on the breakout and long term prospects. Been watching it as it hit both Fool and Data Driven Screens. Think about where personalized medicine, AI etc. is going and the TAM.
I got swamped with "newsletter requests". I'll get the rest of you guys popped in there fwiw. You can always unsubscribe.
Still playing the "re-opening" thesis. Every day, every week, the news gets better and the traffic comes back.
Flying on a full plane to Phoenix tomorrow and will be visiting the Scottsdale Fashion Mall, a MAC property.
My daughter works at Vanguard as a CFP and going out to visit.

Bought some more MAC today also before I read your comments
I am quite a few shares shy of holding 50,000 though

#4361 3 years ago

Wow DIS is getting hammered down over 7%

is it bad of me to say good?
I would love it to drop under $100 again so i can buy in

#4375 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Your MAC position sounds very similar to the Bitcoin pumpers in another tread. Do you have solid logic to backup your pick? I see so many people in this thread that base their positions on: Random Stock A was xxx yesterday ; therefore it must be worth yyy today.
Seems to me that carrying high level of debt ,with renters that aren't making any money seems precarious at best.

Hardly think there is enough people reading this forum to effect the stock movement

#4452 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

A few ideas for you guys:
Just bought 2,250 shares of Slack (WORK) and 2,000 shares of Zynerba Pharmaceuticals (ZYNE), and put in some pretty heavy GTC's on my big tech favorites. Beginning to look at long term positioning. ZYNE is highly speculative but there is a lot of call volume based upon where they are in their testing for a drug for Fragile X Syndrome.
For those playing along at home, my stock positions are BA, CNTY, LVS, MGM, COST, SBUX, RTX, ROKU, REGN, JPM, and COF.
Good luck, all.

I have long positions on MGM, SBUX, ROKU ($101), JPM

#4462 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Did anybody follow me with Slack and Zynerba? I’m liking what I am seeing. Roku looking strong again today as well.

got in on ROKU @ $101
didn't actually believe it had this much room left in it

#4473 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Nice hit there! I am in at $107. It's a small position at 200 shares, but profit is profit. Lot of rumors swirling about ROKU so we will see if any of them are true.

I never bet big on any 1 stock.
I have missed out on some huge $$ gains but it has also saved my ass several times

#4485 3 years ago

I think people are worried about a spike in covid-19
+ the unknown about the election outcome

#4502 3 years ago

Covid fears kills the market again
good thing I have my seat belt on tight

#4512 3 years ago

Good advice and sorry for your loss

2 weeks later
#4562 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

5% plus day for me overall CRWD +7.64%, FSLY +9.88%, SE +10.24%, PINS +4.45%, DOCU +4.35%, LVGO +3.22 to name a few.
"in the ditch" bounced off a bottom? Allocating more funds there in stages starting today and going forward the next 3-6 months. That means MAC, CCL, SRC, STOR etc.
Sold some MAC in taxable account (1/2 of total) on 6/18 to buy DOCU at $161. Took the loss for tax purposes and will load back in post 31 days from sale to meet "wash rules". Still sitting on MAC loss in SEP IRA. Just a matter of time.
Thanks St. Louis Fed chair for your comments! I love the FED! Lol

Can you explain to me your faith in CCL
My extended family & I have been avid cruisers for years, but none of us desires to get on a cruise ship anytime soon

1 week later
#4597 3 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Thoughts on Silver looking to make a move?

I've been in SIL for 2 weeks and it's up 23%

#4609 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

What do you guys think is a better use of extra cash right now? Pay down debt (low interest mortgage), invest, or hold cash for market dip crash. Part of me hates debt, but the rate is so low (3.875) does it make sense?

Difficult to give advice without knowing your financial situation - income, savings, future income, extra cash amount, monthly expenses, savings rate, age, etc....
Also, how many years left on your mortgage?

2 weeks later
#4666 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Took my 25% gain in COMM today and rolled it into RKT. Anybody else buy this today? It's a small position (1,500 shares), but one that I am just going to sit on. With the volume of mortgages they handle and where they are going, I see tremendous upside.
For those playing along at home I bought V and REGN today as well.
Got to stick and move...

"Small position" is all relative to one's perspective

#4690 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

All momentum got taken out to the woodshed
Rotation into the ditch

... and futures are up big again today

#4697 3 years ago

Picked up some RKT yesterday at $18.67
I'll give it a couple earnings cycles and see how it plays out

#4702 3 years ago

Looks like I got in at a good price.
It was a trigger decision I made right before the market closed yesterday.
Sometimes you get lucky with timing, most of the time I do not.

#4704 3 years ago

Remember the old days when you had 10% gains a year in a stock,
Now 10% is a daily gain in some stocks - nuts

#4709 3 years ago

Good job in on getting RKT at $18. How did you get in so early?
I added a second position of FVRR this past a Monday at $112. I am a buy and hold guy though and will be on this one to see how it goes. And yeah been quiet around here.

It dipped into the 18's on August 13th
Bought some at $18.67

You never buy enough of the winners and always to much of the losers

1 week later
#4820 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s already made a huge run
I would temper expectations.
Look at Amazon pre split
Or PINS

AMZ would have to do a 8 for 1 stock split to get it close to Apple's pre-split price which apple thought was high enough to require a split 4-1

#4852 3 years ago

bought some GRVY @ $84.95 this morning

#4884 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I put it in my commentary email last week.
Sorry but i had to cut that off to people i don't know because of one jackass on here.
And I can't post it here because it would get moderated of course.

that one jackass always ruins it for the rest of us

#4962 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

I've always wondered what the "worth" of a stock is that doesn't pay dividends now or never really plans on paying them.
You're basically just speculating that someone down the line is going to pay more for your pin than when you bought it. You're not really using the coin mechs on the machine...
https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/51976/if-a-stock-doesnt-pay-dividends-then-why-is-the-stock-worth-anything

It's only true value is what someone else wants to pay for it when you go to sell it

#4981 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

I’m looking to build out a portfolio with some strong companies that pay good quarterly dividends that aren’t in danger of being cut. I have some decent ones including Apple, Qualcomm, IBM, and Corning glass. Any recommendations that don’t focus on tech? I’m trying to diversify.

need to do you own research, but some of my recent buys
CSCO AFG STX

#5011 3 years ago

bought some GRVY @ 84.95 on 9/04
up over 50% to date - plenty of more room to move up

#5013 3 years ago

possibly one of the more undervalued gaming stocks around

#5093 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Hi guy really new to trading. What do you guys do when markets crash...keep the stocks you have and just buy more on sale or take stocks out and wait for the crash to happen and then buy? I'm debating on the right approach.
Got caught up in NNOX...bought some shares at $18 and then $52 just to watch everything crash. I thought I had done some due diligence by looking into the board of directors and who they were. I'm still holding the shares.
I have diversified in roughly 15 stocks. Don't want to stretch myself too thin.

Depends on the reason you bought them in the first place.
Gambling/Investing
Sometimes a crash is a discount and reason to buy
Sometimes a stock declines for a very good reason and it's time to sell

#5137 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Keep in mind that Roth IRA's have income limits. Based upon income you may or may not be able to participate.[quoted image]

I utilize the backdoor Roth contribution every year.
For those that make too much to contribute to a tax advantaged IRA - A regular IRA contribution is taxed anyways and it's a no brainer to convert to a Roth

#5146 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Yeah, but you get taxed at the rate of your traditional IRA's. I have been rolling my 401k's from various companies into my IRA so the tax consequences would be large for me.

Some people earn too much to contribute to a tax advantaged IRA, so they pay taxes on their IRA contribution anyways and there is not much of a tax it to roll it into a roth

#5165 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Has anyone looked into IIPR, a REIT focusing on pot facilities? My gut tells me that anything to do with that industry is a gamble, but as it gets more widely legalized there must be an upside that might materialize in the future driving the price up.

I own it , bought shares on 7/10 for $89.90
I have a lot of pot stocks, most of them have been on a tear recently - a few have really sucked but overall my basket is looking good.

They way I see it is, states revenue is way down this year - they are sitting on massive tax income from legalized pot - it's too tasty for them to refuse.
Just look at CO's Marijuana Tax Revenue
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/revenue/colorado-marijuana-tax-data
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5211 3 years ago

Jpm is the better buy

#5270 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Anybody else still playing RKT? It is on fire right now!

road it up, down, and now back up

#5285 3 years ago

Non political statement. The president just tested positive for COVID-19. Me thinks stocks relying on an early reopening are going to have a bad day today. What stocks do you think will be on sale or we be on sale today. I heard that after the JFK assassination it took 2 days for the market to recover so this may be but a brief setback for the market.

I agree, look for a market over reaction.

(My non partisan thoughts)
I always thought it was a when, not if the Trump gets it.
How to you have contact with 100's of people a day who have contact with 100's of people a day and not get it?
I do think this puts some more cards in Biden's hands for the election ... next debate still happening?

#5310 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I agree. I'd put Pins on par with Craigslist. It looks like some lame website someone created in their garage in the 90s. I hate when I'm doing a google search, click on a result, and end up on Pinterest. I'm baffled by their valuation.

Our company gets a huge amount of referrals from Pinterest's website
It's extremely popular with females
Just because you don't fit the target demographic ....

#5315 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I know who uses it and what for. It doesn't need to exist. So many companies now are nothing more than advertisers, they don't make anything of value, they're just middlemen taking a cut. Hell, I have a website that makes thousands a month in ebay referrals. It's serving no purpose other than taking money out of ebay's pocket and putting it in mine.
Maybe I should have an IPO

Irrelevant if it should it exist .... facts are it does and people are using it

#5328 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

They just copied the corkboard concept that MySpace had first, and we know how that turned out.

possibly, but they did it better and more successfully
they have recently enabled easy integration with Shopify stores which will give them a boost in the long term

#5344 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Disagree on the boat loan in one particular case. If the boat has a bed, head, and galley, it can be considered a second home for tax purposes, based upon usage. This can be very beneficial.

Shopping the boat market again, salesman told me most people are getting 20 year loans
That's just nuts on a depreciating asset - interest deduction or not

#5345 3 years ago
Quoted from Fieldsweeper:

I too disagree. It depends on interest. If you are borrowing at less than you are earning then you are better off investing the money you saved when taking the loans money.
If you are earning 7-8% a YOY ROI then borrowing at less than that is pure profit. NOW I will say a down payment is never worth it most of the time. Even for a house except most have to. I had a VA loan so I took the down payment and used it to start my investing. Make 8% on money I would have spent on a 3% loan. That is just a waste if I spent it on a down payment.
The only time you should borrow is when you can use the cash to make more than its costing you to borrow. However I would never borrow money strictly for trading as that's a risk obviously BUT theoretically you could. I mean if you could get a HELOC for 2.5% for a decent amount I WOULD totally do that for a large amount and put it in a decent investment spread. But that is just me lol.

Problem is, past ROI is no guarantee for future ROI. Current market returns can easily trick a new investor into thinking it's normal and expected.
Paying cash and being debt free gives you a sense of security and piece of mind that many value

#5347 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I think it depends on the boat and cost. For a jon boat no way in hell. On a quarter of a million dollar cabin cruiser, absolutely. Boats of certain categories can be incredibly expensive, and with the shortage of boats right now there are not a lot of options.
Shit, my two neighbors across the creek have a Hinkley each. Those are 7 figure boats to start. I doubt they own them outright but who knows.

Sorry, 20 year loan on a depreciating asset doesn't make sense to me at all

#5353 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Hey bmore-pinball, have you looked on Boat Trader? I think you said you were looking at Trophy. Here are some Trophy fishing boats around in the area. Have no idea how much a new Trophy is.
https://www.boattrader.com/boats/make-trophy/zip-21401/sort-length:desc/

Yes been searching boat trader religiously, looking for something higher quality than a trophy
hoping there will be more boats in the spring
I figure this summer or next there will be a flood of used "covid" boats that people realized they do not use

1 week later
#5389 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just bought ATVI and EA. No brainers here

bought TTWO back in may
you want to be in this stock well before the launch of the next GTA

another interesting video game play is GRVY

#5403 3 years ago

probably would not be a buyer of much until after the election

#5409 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Got rid of Apple. Goldman Sachs values it at $80.00/share. It's a bloodbath.

If it drops below $90 - buy as much as you can

#5412 3 years ago

also buy Bitcoin cause maybe Biden

#5415 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Lol buy bitcoin now? It’s 13.7k! A Biden win would begin the government regulation of bitcoin. The IRS already said it’s taxable, which is the entire opposite of the entire purpose of cryptocurrency.
If you can, get into ETH, the technology is groundbreaking and as smart contracts evolve the utility with become more worldly.
If Bitcoin is the “gold” of crypto, ETH would be the paper currency.

I think it's still attractive at current price - but I bought in under 10k
also have ETH

and of course Biden will tax everything he can ... that's a given

#5417 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Anyone backing up the truck today, or bracing for more pain?

broke my rule of not buying before the election and picked up some MO
buy not jumping deep into anything at all

Have one holding that surprised me today CLGX

#5422 3 years ago

I am not a big dividend guy with a ton of tech, but I am adding a bit not only for the yields, but for growth over the short to mid term. I like Reits for this but did buy some value EPD at 15.30 and 16.20 recently. The ex divided date is tomorrow and will pay $.445 per share which is 2.6% currently if bought today. I feel it’s the only way to play an oil and natural gas recovery and will get up side when things open up again. These will be bumpy, but what isn’t, but hopefully will work our down the road.
I just added Reits NNN PINE since they took a hit, but hanging tight with 20% cash through the election but like you can bend that rule if things go lower.

I have EPD also
I did very well after the 08/09 crash buying strong companies with healthy dividends.
My idea was I will collect the 6% all day until the market recovers - and it worked out very well

#5440 3 years ago

WOOOO!!!
YOU SEE THAT 13% PINS AFTER-HOUR TRADING?
Bought into PINS and Fastly yesterday
YEEHAW IMMEDIATELY 10% up

Plug is local, 30 minutes from me and I got some stock as a gift, and I saw it climb from like $9 2 months ago to $19 and now it’s at about 15? Definitely buy. It’s one of the leading hydrogen fuel cell companies

PINS up 32% pre market

#5441 3 years ago

#5443 3 years ago

Sold pins at 67.50. Considering I bought it 2 weeks ago at 45 I am happy. It may run further but I will take 50% returns in 2 weeks any day.
Sold FSLY at a 10% loss. 10% in 3 days is too much. For me.

I am hanging on to PINS - they are on the horizon of monetizing their user base

#5456 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Ah yes... as former .com employee and stock holder I remember that phrase very well.
Easier said then done and rarely goes as planned.
Its a buzz phrase to make investors feel better that they bleed money and make little.

All true, but the easy integration with a major player like Shopify will help

#5457 3 years ago
Quoted from phalcon_2600:

What do you guys think of AMC? They have said they are selling off stock and will be out of money buy the end of the year. Seems like a bad investment unless you gamble and you buy AMC stock before A smart company like Disney might buy them out. Disney would get more profits when they release future blockbuster Marvel films because they own AMC theaters. Dr Fauchi has said the he does not expect us to be back to normal until late 2021. AMC Would a long term play and a big gamble. What are your opinions?

would not touch it unless it's gambling money you don't care about
much better stocks to make money on in this market

#5460 3 years ago

Great call on ATVI
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/activision-blizzard-q3-earnings-2020-200544700.html

Revenue: $1.77 billion versus $1.67 billion expected

Earnings per share: $0.78 versus $0.64 expected.

#5471 3 years ago

I am officially 100% cash in my "day trading fund". I am quite certain that the stock market will be down today (Friday) through the day after the election (11/4). I will jump back in as soon as late day 11/4 TBD. I rode the market down to a 50% loss during COVID, and as of this morning I'm up around 10% for the year, so I'm more than happy.
I have not yet decided what to jump back in on yet, but Rocket is at the top of my list for 11/10 earnings, followed by PINS (I got my 50% rise in 3 weeks), TSLA (depending how far it dumps).
Once again looking for short term, not long term gains.
Good luck everyone!

I can't try and time the market like that.
I got lucky and by chance lightened some load in Feb on stuff I thought got way too high
Then, I road the covid rollercoaster down and back up by buying a crap load of stocks in the spring
I am up over 30% for the year due to those buys

I make plenty of mistakes though, like holding onto RKT for tool long
screwed the pooch on that one

#5494 3 years ago

.coms are their own planet.
The one I was at literally kept hiring people to "show growth". Nowhere to put them and no work for them or anyone with time to train them, just had to add body count. People would come on and just sit around all day and get paid.
They had me interviewing people in my sector for tech jobs and it got to the point where it was a few a day so I just asked them the dumbest questions I could think of just to mess with them.
They had no idea they were going to get hired just for showing up.
Literally, hi... have a seat. I like your haircut, whats your favorite band? ok here is a 75K job now go away. lol

So basically they ran it like a government agency..

#5498 3 years ago

Stock market climbing up...
we may a see a real challenge to democracy in this country and possibly rioting in the streets so of course it goes up.

if the party of Love, Compassion & Tolerance loses I fear the same

#5521 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Looks like the stock market loves gridlock. Nothing meaningful will get done in the next four years so there isn’t anything standing in the way of the stock market. We should be looking good once the Covid vaccine gets released. I think we are heading higher for the rest of the year.

I think it's happy with a Republican controlled Senate that Biden can't ram through any drastic changes

#5556 3 years ago
Quoted from bobmathuse:

Nobody seems to be factoring in just how bad the next round of covid shutdowns (or failures to shut down) will be. New case count spiked to 128K yesterday, and that's with all the restrictions already in place. Virtual / remote biz will continue to do fine, but all else is a crapshoot right now. As for Tesla, Toyota's CEO cautioned on them today; FYI, if you look at reliability data, Tesla sucks. They're winning on popularity rather than substance; it remains to be seen if Tesla will be the auto industry's iPhone or its Blackberry. SpaceX has better long-term odds than Tesla.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-09/pfizer-s-covid-vaccine-prevents-90-of-infections-in-large-study

#5564 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Time to make the rotation. Work at home stocks are taking it in the shorts today. Just put in some big buys on MGM and AA. Also, riding the lightning in front of RKT's earnings tomorrow and more than doubled my position of that stock in one of my accounts. Anybody jumping in the boat with me?

Little pat myself on the back - been in MGM since March @ $7.66
Was pretty sure back then, whatever the effect covid had, gambling would come back

#5584 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

RKT announces 1b buyback program. What does this mean and is it good?

huh... for a stock that's been trading for 2 months
That seems very unusual

Ditto on the buy Bitcoin advice!

#5592 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

By “debunked” you mean ignored Lol

exactly ... nothing to see here, keep it moving

#5601 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And finally, despite how it ended, I believe it works out better this way
The country gets to see Biden, we get a red wave in the House in 2022 like Clinton and Obama terms AND it sets up 2024 for a Tim Scott, Christi Noem, Nikki Haley presidency in the year we need it!

Please Please Please let nikki haley run for president!

#5602 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

The smart money is on the fine Governor of Maryland, Larry Hogan. Openly discussed here in Annapolis and DC.

He has little chance, what has he really done in his 2 terms
I had high hopes for him , but at this point i am done with him

#5615 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The country gets to see Biden, we get a red wave in the House in 2022 like Clinton and Obama terms AND it sets up 2024 for a Tim Scott, Christi Noem, Nikki Haley presidency in the year we need it!

Kamala vs Haley 2024 - that would be interesting

#5628 3 years ago

Those of you banking on CCL and RCL, what do you make of this?
I think cruises are gonna be terrible for a while. Floating Petri dishes!
https://apple.news/AD_4B6lYlSSelupEkHIhXIA

I sort of agree - my family went on yearly cruises and I just don't feel the urge to hop back on so quickly

#5676 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

I'm not selling a single share of my Tesla for 10 years. Tesla today will seem dirt cheap one day.

lol, many years ago a friend told me the same thing about AOL stock

#5683 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I have a stupid question. I'm terrible at making money in the stock market, so perhaps I should just stick to my crypto.
Anyway, how do you know when they aren't winners anymore? That's my hardest part. I don't know when to get out regardless of if it's going up or down. Do you just set a blanket percentage and go with that number? For example, buy stock X and if it goes down 10% you sell, if it's up 20% you sell.
That's where I get stuck.

you may be better with something like Wealthfront.com

#5706 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Adding to my TDOC position for the LONG-TERM. Had a bigger position in LVGO before the acquisition. Already a multi-bagger.
Looking to add to PYPL again. A stock to own for the next decade, along with V, MA and SQ.

took a profit, but of course got out of PYPL too soon
What's your target for reentry?

#5709 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Our company insurance has had it for free since last November as well. I won't ever use it though. A doctor visit needs diagnostics and compassion that you can't get through a video chat. You need your vitals checked and often a blood draw or an x-ray. Honestly I'd choose WebMD or a google search before I'd use Teledoc. Can a doctor through Teledoc prescribe medicine? That would be the only benefit I could see in order to save a trip to your local physician just for a renewal of maintenance meds.
I live in a small town and can get in to see my physician pretty much any time with no wait. The waiting room rarely has more than 3 or 4 people in it and it's only about 3 miles from my house.

I have immediate access to my Dr also,
but I text him often and get things accomplished without a physical visit - not every issue requires you to be with him in person and few people have ready access to a DR

#5726 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I had to go last week because it had been a year since my last appointment and they wouldn't renew my prescriptions without seeing me again. I felt great, blood pressure and everything checked out. On the way out, the doc said "why don't you stop off and get blood drawn on your way out", so I did. They called and left a message a couple hours later saying I had high something or other and need to cut down on sugar and take fish oil. A Teledoc appointment would have completely missed that and maybe led to significant issues down the road.

So don't buy the company, according to your singular experience - it will never work.
Same with the people complaining how crappy Pinterest is and that nobody would ever use it

If you are not comfortable with a business, you should not buy the stock.
But .... sometimes you have to look outside your immediate bubble when evaluating a business/stock
Tele-medicine is 100% here to stay and effective for many issues and for many people

#5730 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Doesn't it help to hear both pros and cons for something you want to invest in? Is it only ok to post reasons to buy something, but not reasons not to buy? I want to hear both sides of the story and make my own decisions.

Sure does, but your experience with your Dr doesn't represent what most Americans have access to.
Most people can't get appointments quickly or even get their Dr on the phone in a timely manner.
Yes, I agree - you still need physical visits but this does help a large enough percentage of the time that it's valid.
I have immediate access to my Dr, yet I don't run to see him in person for every little issue.
Most of the time a call or quick text can take care of it.
After that, if he feels a visit is warranted, he will request it.

#5733 3 years ago

Anybody else invested in pot stocks?
They have been my best performers this year
GRWG up 680% since April!

#5735 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Depending on your cost basis, BTC is either the best thing mankind ever invented or hot garbage? I lean towards the latter.

That holds true for any stock/investment

#5739 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Here we go, now I have some skin in the TDOC game. Will make $600 in 9 days if it's over $180. If not, rinse and repeat.
[quoted image]

I was just joking - the stock is trash

#5750 3 years ago

As far as Bitcoin goes ... my amateur assessment is that this time it's different
A lot of the investment houses and analysts are now following bitcoin and buying, whereas they were not previously
Once the big boys start buying ... the price is going up
Square is investing in Bitcoin
PayPal is now backing Bitcoin
Hedge Fund managers are buying Bitcoin

so you decide.... I play with money that will not hurt me if it goes to 0

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoin-price-all-time-high-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-112907136.html

#5782 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Is anyone using asset management services? I’m nearing the point where I don’t have the time, energy or expertise to manage my investments efficiently so maybe turning into a professional makes sense. So if you have an opinion, or advice on what to take into account when deciding on this I’d appreciate that. Thanks!

Yes, I have an investment manager as well as use a robot advisor Wealth front
Both have advantages and disadvantages
WF is only .25% and does some things an investment manager can't

If you are interested in WF pm me your email and I will send you a sign up link that gives you some extra money under investment before you pay a fee

#5820 3 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I trade in a tax account so that has shown me patience, I don’t jump around like I probably would if it didn’t have tax consequences...
Too late to get into PLTR?

I do also, but if it's time to get out, I sell.
I don't let the tax consequences dictate my holdings ever unless I am close to moving from an ST to a LT tax basis

#5849 3 years ago

Anybody own/look at UTZ
I think it has some long term potential

#5851 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

The make without a doubt the best potato chip ever [quoted image]

and these,
but if you have not, look into the company and the number of brands they own including the most recent acquisition

#5854 3 years ago

Bitcoin +3.69% rose on reports that demand from Square (SQ) and PayPal (PYPL) was outpacing new supply.

#5888 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Glad I got in early, but didn't invest enough.

you never invest enough in your winners and always too much in your loosers
funny how it always works out that way

#5889 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

bought some GRVY @ 84.95 on 9/04
up over 50% to date - plenty of more room to move up

Anybody hop on this train with me? - hitting $158+ today

#5936 3 years ago

ULTA is also a good stock along the same lines as LULU
and still just below it's YTD high - but it's gained a lot in the last 30 days

#5949 3 years ago

bought some OPRX this morning
and for those interested in div income, added some BXMT yesterday

#5986 3 years ago

Jumped back in RKT yesterday after selling previous position for a profit

#5990 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

GL Bmore, too many other better options out there imho.

I got back in under $20 and going to hold for a while this time as long as interest rates are low
one of my newsletters with a good record recommended it

#6048 3 years ago

ASAN on anybody's radar?

Got in yesterday with a 1/2 position at $27.34
Was going to watch it for a few weeks and buy the rest of my position but it's up 14%+ in premarket

#6066 3 years ago

Anybody following MAXR - bought this little gem in May for about $10

#6068 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

I had been following but abandoned after their last satellite launch was a complete fail and the stock plummeted as a result. There was a short report released around the same time which added salt to investor wounds.

When was that - because it's been going up past $30 since I bought it including a 6%+ bump today hitting it's 52 week high

#6070 3 years ago

ahh ... guess I got in at the right time cause it's been on a run since this summer

#6097 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Jefferies just instituted coverage on RKT with a PT of $27.50. Additionally, a bunch of institutional buying has happened here recently with Morgan Stanley disclosing a new 33.94M investment. Should help this rise.
https://www.tickerreport.com/banking-finance/6832736/morgan-stanley-makes-new-33-94-million-investment-in-rocket-companies-inc-nyserkt.html

I think it's a solid long term hold if you got in under low $20ish

#6098 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here is a good math summary of REIT's
Theoretically you get MORE return, they have to pay out at least 90% of income and don't have to pay corporate income tax like typical "qualified dividends" that come from let's say an Apple stock would be capital gains rate BUT you still have to meet the long term holding period.
"Example of Unitholder Tax Calculation
An investor buys a REIT currently trading at $20 per unit. The REIT generates $2 per unit from operations and distributes 90% (or $1.80) to unitholders. Of this, $1.20 of the dividend comes from earnings. The remaining $0.60 comes from depreciation and other expenses and is considered a nontaxable return of capital.
The investor would pay ordinary income taxes on the $1.20 in the year in which it was received. Meanwhile, the investor's cost basis is reduced by $0.60 to $19.40 per share. As stated previously, this reduction in basis will be taxed as a either long- or short-term gain or loss when the units are sold."
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/08/reit-tax.asp

Speaking of REITs DLR is an interesting one

#6101 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

DLR stock has been a slow ride up and to the right, but under big pressure for the past 60 days... price now about the same as it was 2+ years ago. That said, they are in the sweet spot of the 'cloud' and the 'internet'. They own the buildings that power the internet. In the old days, banks and airlines and every other company built their own data centers. Now those companies just call up DLR (or anyone of a dozen other big suppliers) and essentially 'lease' that space long term. They can move in in months instead of waiting for new data centers to be built (waiting years).
Data center REITS are surely worth considering... but they are long games, up and to the right...

Good analysis - don't mind a long slow craw with a decent dividend
This is an interesting article
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/12/14/equinix-vs-digital-realty-trust-which-is-the-bette/

#6113 3 years ago

Anybody own/look at UTZ
I think it has some long term potential

Not a bad day to own potato chips

#6127 3 years ago

Anybody else invested in pot stocks?
They have been my best performers this year
GRWG up 680% since April!

now up 917% and still rising

#6129 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

I have some planet 13, doing well with it! I’m going to start really looking into Psychedelics, high ceiling possibly.

all the pot stocks have been through the roof this year, but GRWG is the far and away winner
I think they have a lot more room to grow in 2021 as more states look for tax revenue

#6144 3 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Also. Bitcoin. Holy cannoli.

yup... we are just at the beginning of the big institutions investing
Bitcoin is going to be a better investment than gold for this generation
(especially when Goldman Sachs is saying the opposite)

https://www.cnbc.com/select/visa-backs-first-credit-card-to-offer-bitcoin-rewards/

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4395316-unstoppable-force-of-bitcoin

#6157 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

whats the best stock or etf to play bitcoin/cyber currency?

open up a coinbase account and just buy straight bitcoin and buy with money you don't mind going to 0

#6172 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Problem with bitcoin is the eventual future of making it illegal in some countries and/or govt regulation. If you think it won't happen - you are wrong. The govt always gets a piece of the action and once central bank cyber money goes global this will be competition they won't put up with. Not saying this will happen near term. Just saying it will happen.

Yes, that is a risk - why you buy with money you can 100% loose
But I doubt that will happen, at least in the US
Regulation - yes
Illegal - no

#6190 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Opinions on the best platforms to buy and hold crypto, especially bitcoin?

been using coinbase - takes a little effort to set up as you have to verify you identity but I am happy with it
They have a vault you can use to move your coin off network for more security.

pm if interested, I think there is a link I can send you that benefits us both

#6198 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Getting a little dip today, so what are we buying? I am getting in on SPG, missed out on this one earlier. Also looking at FRT and SVC. Anyone adding to MAC?

Added an income fund YYY

#6219 3 years ago

Do you want any free crypto? I'm part of the Coinbase Earn and have referral links I can send for a few different coins. You have to watch the 2 - 3 minute coinbase video about the currency, but then they deposit it right into your wallet.
PM me if you are interested in the links. It's 100% legit and right through the coinbase website.

already have an account

#6242 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So what is the feel here on converting an IRA to a Roth IRA vs. simply leaving it intact? I know people’s specific situation kind of dictates the decision, but man...there doesn’t seem to be a “clearly best” decision...

Consult a financial advisor.
I contribute to a taxed IRA account and convert to a Roth at once - so very little tax liability

#6289 3 years ago

Happy Healthy New Years to you guys, thanks for the advice and entertainment in the thread this year!

#6334 3 years ago

I was a skeptic for years but hopped on the train in the $9k range last year
Put in money that I don't care if it goes to zero, so I really have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoin-price-surge-delivers-this-powerful-message-to-naysayers-expert-113929134.html

Those actively in the market trading bitcoin say newfound institutional demand has fueled the latest surge, not just views on blockchain. The buying, pros think, only supports the view of bitcoin as a credible alternative to fiat currencies.

In December, insurance giant MassMutual unveiled a $100 million investment in bitcoin for its general investment account. PayPal continues to buy up bitcoin to support the launch of the capability to buy, sell and trade cryptocurrency from a PayPal account. And Square recently said it will allow customers for the first time to receive bitcoin back on transactions, a move that triggers the payments platform to buy more bitcoin.

“Bitcoin is for everyone,” crypto bull Mike Novogratz said on Yahoo Finance Live. “Everyone should put 2% to 3% of their net worth in bitcoin and look at it in five years, and it’s going to be a whole lot more.”

#6344 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'd buy $5000 of bitcoin and $20,000 in stocks. I personally missed out on the first big bitcoin boon, I have friends that bought houses in cash from their profits. But I've been buying a little here and there of Bitcoin and Ethereum and it's done better than my stock investments in the past year. I like to dabble enough in it that I won't miss out if it does what's predicted.

I am about to sell my initial investment in Bitcoin and just ride the profits with 0 risk
bought in May and it's returned 256% since then

also done very with ETH

#6359 3 years ago

I’ve been holding on since 2017. Some of my coins are up over 1,300%. My only regret is that I didn’t put more into it.
I thought about selling about half of what I have, but I just think we are at the beginning of a huge run up.
There are transactions from 2 weeks ago that have doubled in value. It’s just getting a little crazy.

you never buy enough of the winners
and too much of the losers

Changed my mind and going to let it all ride some more also.
My initial investment is not enough to effect me by taking it out.

#6380 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Not to sound ignorant, i know a little about bitcoin and its a household name, but how do these coins get used? What is driving the investment?

https://bitcoin.org/en/

#6406 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I did by accident. I think people need to have a Coinbase type account for whatever use it becomes in the future

On another note, Coinbase is going public
Buy?

#6425 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Coinbase sucks
Site goes down daily, especially during big up or down swings.
They are really user friendly and have a huge clientele so big pluses there but have too many major flaws for me to be interested.

I have not had an issue, but I don't interact with the site that often

Bitcoin is north of 40k ...

#6510 3 years ago

Bitcoin has dropped like a rock, about 8k in a day or so.
I’d just to remind bitcoin holders that if you wanna take your profits now that’s fine. However if you’ve bought in high and are now “losing money” you should hold on. You haven’t lost it till you’ve sold it. And as we’ve now learned for a 3rd time. It only takes about 2 to 3 years for bitcoin to have a parabolic breakout where you will make ridiculous ROI.
Waiting this to dip to hit bottom, and buying down there. Probably a temp bottom, my target is 15-20k and I don’t think this has the same drop potential right now.

"play" with money you don't need and can afford to go to Zero and let it ride and don't worry

#6599 3 years ago

I hope these thread doesn't degrade into comparing bank accounts

#6649 3 years ago
Quoted from spikelou2:

Are you upset because you only made 20 percent pay year . If you made more than 20 percent last year you probably took to much risk. I’m not trying to be rude at all. Last year was a completely odd year. If you’re over the age of 40 you have lived through 2-3 major corrections and know that they can come at any time . The average return on the s&p over the past 20 years is below 6 percent.

More than 20% too much risk? Not at all.
You just needed cash on the sideline in the spring to buy everything on sale.
Gains in excess of 50% were very easy last year if you bought what was on sale when everybody was panic selling.
Didn't require much risk at all at the prices stocks were on sale at - I picked up MGM @ $7.66 - how risky was that - come on man?

#6656 3 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

What do you guys think about after inauguration? Some guys say they are selling everything before.

In the short term with vaccines available, the economy should rebound and grow quickly with a lot of pent up demand.
Hopefully the puppet masters behind Biden don't go all in on tax increases and more economic stifling regulations in year 1

#6700 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Anybody getting into the organic food and fake meat stocks? I’ve seen some nice gains in the very good food company and tattoed chef.

I am holding Sprouts (SFM) - but it's been sideways for months

#6739 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So, what do people consider dips? I tend to buy on down days of 5% or more as day to day dips (unless a stock is tanking) are generally less than 1%.
I also tend to buy when the MACD is at the bottom heading up on all 3 Daily, Hourly, 5min. I have no idea if that is a good strategy as I am sure I miss many opportunities, but it's worked well for me to reduce impulsive buying and buying while a stock is heading down.

Personally, if a stock drops 10% after I buy it and nothing changed from the original reason I bought, I usually avg down.

#6747 3 years ago

Anybody following MAXR - bought this little gem in May for about $10

nice 30%+ bump this morning

#6756 3 years ago

This is a strong company - wonder where a good entry point would be to pick up some shares

#6782 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Looking for some guidance here. I invest in my 401k thru work and they don't match at all nor do they cover any of the plan costs. I am paying out of my own pocket about 1.2% a year in fees which to me seems ludicrous since thats money I won't have working for me or availablein the future. I tried googling 401k fees for comparisons, and the results are all over the place. Is it way out of hand?

I think the standard for most investment advisors is 1% - you can negotiate lower if you have a lot of $$ in your account

#6785 3 years ago

ASAN on anybody's radar?
Got in yesterday with a 1/2 position at $27.34
Was going to watch it for a few weeks and buy the rest of my position but it's up 14%+ in premarket

hitting an all time this morning <pat on the back>

#6793 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Any thoughts on WOOF and POSH IPOs? Both down today, putting their market caps at 6-7 billion. Not the sexy tech names most here like though.

POSH is a great company, I want to own the stock I just have no clue about a good entry point

#6860 3 years ago

bought some OPRX this morning
and for those interested in div income, added some BXMT yesterday

OPRX up 55%+ since 12/3 - not a bad return

BXMT down 4% - good entry point for a 9%+ div.

#6889 3 years ago

#6903 3 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

I always have a hard time knowing when to cut the losers loose or hold an hold for some recovery

gotta understand why you bought it in the first place

#6956 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Boats are hard to come by at all price points. Check out Brunswick, who owns Sea Ray and Bayliner. Just anecdotally, it was near impossible to find cruising boats on this part of the Chesapeake Bay late last summer in the 100-400K range. That would be a used 27 footer to a new 37 footer roughly. My understanding is that a lot of the boats for this season are already spoken for. I am assuming fishing boats are a hot commodity as well.

been shopping since the fall,
Found a nice Scout, but he got got a dozen offers and sold it before i could even see it

#6989 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Damn. I think as we get closer to spring they are going to be even harder to find. From talk with the marina today it is at all price ranges, including the big boy boats. I can sell my boat for what I have in it but the problem is getting something comparable is even more now, with a waiting list.

My friend has a nice regulator that i go fishing on all the time, so I am ok if I don't find something

#6999 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

You can always drive down 2 and I will take you out. My Formula is not rigged for fishing but we can throw out a line.
Regulators are sweet! I did not realize how pricey they are. Just played around with the configurator a little and a 31 footer is around 350K and a 34 footer is around 450K. My understanding is that they are about as well made as you can get for that type of boat.

It's a tank in the water

#7000 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You should only use coinbase to buy or sell your coins, you should store them in accounts generated by some form of hardware wallet. If you don't own the private key to your account, you don't own the coins.

I keep mine in the Coinbase Vaults not in the wallet
https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/getting-started/other/vaults-faq

#7005 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Coinbase still owns the private key. That means if coinbase disappears tomorrow, so does access to your coin.

I will take the risk

#7028 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

You can argue the same thing about a lot of things we place value on

#7074 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

AMC might be a good short term play though because of it's low cost and it has an uptick of interest with the reddit crowd. One of my Amazon friends casually mentioned during poker last week that there has been office talk about Amazon possibly trying to buy AMC and revamping the theater model. I couldn't tell if it was real talk or just people fantasizing about the possibility (there is a beautiful AMC theater in Seattle called the Cinerama that seems to be permanently closing and people are looking at ways to save it). It's had a ton of action since Tuesday.

Every time we go to the movies (about 3 times a year) I get reminded why we only go 3 times a year

#7106 3 years ago

Anybody following NOK - big player in 5G
Bought some shares last week and it's up nicely today

REGI was another purchase last week that is up today

#7114 3 years ago

Bought in at $11 on the big spike in June. Sold out at $7 at the lows before the election...
Go MAC Go!

yeah... I bailed on it also (too soon apparently)

#7205 3 years ago

Anybody in VIR Vir Biotechnology, Inc.
It's up 40% today
108% return since my purchase on 1/08/20

#7214 3 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Another great day for MAC. As a casual investor, it's hard to know when to rip the cord and leave with the spoils. Are most of you holding, or exiting?

can always sell partial holding to lock in some profits

#7220 3 years ago

It's up 40% today

Up 74% Today

#7318 3 years ago

got in AMC on Monday with 1,000 shares
should be a fun ride

#7329 3 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I bought some NOK. Got a whiff that it might be on the list to pump up.

I actually bought into NOK last week as a good investment for the 5G era, but if they are going to pump it I am ok with dumping it for a nice short term profit

#7337 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Segment on CNBC says Melvin capital exited the GameStop short position. Is this even possible right now?

What are you asking - is it possible to cover a short now?

#7352 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Are that many shares available and do they have the capital of cover? Or is it an attempted fake out.

the lack of shares available when the try an cover their short is what raises the price so drastically until holders sell their shares

#7353 3 years ago

wow

#7358 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

How long will ACM run last?!

It's all time high when it was profitable was in the low 30's
but 300% in a day ... gotta be a bunch of profit takers

#7363 3 years ago

This is an interesting comment on the yahoo board, any truth to it?

Hey everyone, to make no share available for the shorts to short, set your shares for sell at GTC with limit price at 100 or more so that your shares would not be in the loan list from your brokerage.

#7382 3 years ago

Market is down, but I do have a few stock up nicely today
CANG, VIR again, NOX, STX, RKT, MMM

#7384 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

are you guys holding amc or selling?

it's not life changing money for me either way .. so holding my 1,000 shares to see where it goes

#7422 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Pretty fkn convenient nobody can get into an account. I'm locked out of Ameritrade....

I think there is also a lot of panic selling today becuase the market is down big

#7423 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

On a different note, anybody besides me and isochronic_frost still in RKT? Up another 10% today. Liking what I am seeing going into earnings.

yup, in this with 300 shares

#7437 3 years ago

It's up 40% today

with all the GME AMC talk....

VIR is really slipping under the radar
UP 40% again today

#7453 3 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

After buying and selling AMC for a profit multiple times over the last few years, I most recently purchased it a few months ago at $10. I watched it sit at the bottom of my holdings for months and sold it today a bit above $16. It was one of my smaller holdings and I only made a little over $1000 but I was happy to sell it for a nice little gain. Thanks Reddit!

funny, I dumped it last year around $5 for a loss
but bought back in on Monday
thanks Reddit

#7454 3 years ago

with all the GME AMC talk....
VIR is really slipping under the radar
UP 40% again today

60%

#7465 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This just popped up in my TD account, anyone know what this is yet?
[quoted image]

and what are the restrictions

#7488 3 years ago

AMC dropping like a brick now ... the nervous are selling

#7492 3 years ago

wonder what's it's like in the offices of these hedge funds with huge shorts on GME & AMC

#7562 3 years ago

Can't see that halting trading on these stocks is going to do much
Price is rising as shorts try to cover and owners are not selling - please explain how a halt in trading effects this?

#7574 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I hope you guys are right - but I wouldn't touch something like that - up 283% a buy?

It's never about where it's been ... but where it's going
Made a lot of money buying stocks at their 52 week highs

#7583 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'm thinking NOK is the safest bet at this point - but that's just me. Seems like its just getting momentum.

I bought NOK last week based on the business and their contribution to the 5G network .. so I just stumbled into this on that one

#7584 3 years ago

at what point / and can they / do GME insiders start dumping their shares?

#7639 3 years ago

VIR seems to be under a short squeeze also but could be based on news
Jump yesterday was based on company releasing positive Phase I trial data for its hepatitis B treatment

#7753 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

At what point would you jump ship?

You have to base that on your comfort level - since the rise is based on nothing but a pumping scheme there is no solid financial data that is going to tell you when to sell.

Basically you are asking, When do I walk away from the Crap Table - when you won or lost enough

#7756 3 years ago

I wouldn't call it a pumping scheme based on my limited knowledge. I thought that was always used when someone circulated a ton of news surround a stock in an attempt to pump the price so they could dump it.
In this case, it looks like people are using the massive 141% short interest in the stock by the hedge funds against them in an attempt to shine a light on the way hedge funds manipulate the market.
But once again, I'm new to all this stock stuff, so don't listen to me.

Semantics - People are not going to hold GME forever at this price - the dam will burst at some point and it's going to be a very fast nasty flood

#7790 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

How do you buy shares premarket? Just place an open trade and how someone takes it?

You have to set it up with your broker - it's usually not a default option when you open your account

#7794 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

16 is around 20??? That's some stretchy math.

Was at 20 a few hours ago

#7825 3 years ago

For those with RH I would open a standard brokerage account like Etrade and learn how to really invest - GME, AMC is fun - but it's gambling

#7832 3 years ago

In other boring news ..... FB up 5% today

#7838 3 years ago

These days we (gov't and others) are way to into trying to protect people from themselves. If people want to risk their $$ on these stocks, no reason RH and others should restrict access. Yes, in the end, some people will get their ass handed to them, but that is how you learn.

#7860 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

AMC is issuing 44 million new shares.

@ What price?

#7864 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Sorry I keep asking the same question but does this mean it’s time to get out?

It means there will be more shares on the market to trade
With normal stocks, the new share issue is usually below the market price and bring the stock price down with it.

#7869 3 years ago

I bailed on AMC at 11.31
F it - walked away with $7 grand, no complaints

I hope the bastards get screwed and it goes to $50
but I hopped off the coaster

#7876 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I bought in at $19...

Lessons learned - I would take the loss and run

#7898 3 years ago

Back to my rational investments .... but that was fun

AFG up nicely today
and CANG has been on a run this week

#7938 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Unfortunately, Big Tech, Big Government, Big Banks, Big Hedge Funds, Big Government, Big Media ALWAYS WINS.
And the little guy gets F Ed!
Watch how Bitcoin plays out and all of the future regulation there. It's already starting in the EU.
Free markets and capitalism? LOL

yup... was thinking the same exact thing ... at least in the long run
but in the short term I banked some buck on AMC and ran

#7949 3 years ago

Guys... GME is starting to bounce back... even without the ability for retail investors to drive up the price... This can only mean that other hedge funds were in on the action all along. Dipped down to 130ish... now 230.

Enjoy ... not touching it
AMC was enough of a ride for me ... enough money to be made the old fashion stock picking way

#7956 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

There's still an opportunity on AMC....I've noticed on all the halting there's a dip after resuming, followed by a quick runup. I'm buying 10,000 shares on each dip then selling them on $1 gain, or $10K. Working so far. Very risky and pure gambling so don't recommend this for anyone.

until it doesn't ... good luck

#7965 3 years ago

Looking forward to when this thread gets back on track to investing ....

#7970 3 years ago

Yes, all this news that will likely change the way trading is done isnt relevant to the trading thread.
Lets talk low risk mutual funds (they suck).

Got a lot of good stock tips from this forum ... may not be GME exciting but they have been very profitable

Quoted from loneacer:

Wait what? This has always been a "trading" thread, not investing. Except when investingdad shows up. It's just that the trades changed from days/weeks to minutes.

This is the title, but there is a lot of good investment talk also

#8000 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Dealing with work but have CNBC on the TV. I love how this is being spun as being the right thing to do and bringing control back to things. The hypocrisy is deep.

Apparently those in charge don't give any F's becuase hypocrisy has been on bold display the last few weeks

#8014 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

A lot of my friends lost a lot of money today, their entire savings to be exact. Fuck Robinhood, I'm GTFO! Sorry guys

That sucks ... but investing your life savings on any 1 security is nuts, especially something like GME & AMC
It was obvious this was not going to end well for many

#8016 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

ETSY down $11 yesterday, but back at it today. Great rollercoaster that everyone should try riding at least once. It's no Space Mountain, but fun!
[quoted image]

Great stock .. been invested since Oct. 2019 @ 44.50

#8019 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I understand not doing well because the market moved or whatever but NOT because the trade platforms restricted shit to help big corporations

I agree ... still at the end of this game a lot of people were going to loose money

#8037 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This makes you really realize where the balance of power lies in this country. At the risk of sharing too much, I am not the 1%, but probably in the 1.75%. I have an invested amount in the market that is nothing to sneeze at for a regular guy. These hedge funds steamroll people that have millions to many millions of dollars in the market because they have billions and can change the rules on a whim. I have always known the game is rigged against even people with my level of resources but I knew this was the best game going. Go along to get along, right? Even though I walked away up, it cost me 6 figures of profit. Glad I did not already order my lambo, right? I am ok because I knew the risks and did not expose myself to unwarranted risks. I do not feel bad for me because a gain is a gain. Who I feel bad for are the people that gambled their paychecks and savings in a game that got rigged even more after they started. For me, it is a missed opportunity. For them, it can have devastating consequences. Fuck these tech billionaires and hedge fund managers who treat people under them as not even pawns. I hope there is a reckoning and they get bent.

Ever watch the show Billions... explains it all

#8060 3 years ago

If you have more then a couple hundred to invest, why would you even trade through robinhood in the first place?

#8064 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

AOC is gonna livestream at 5:30 concerning this mess.

I am sure she has a full comprehension of the situation

#8071 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

As an early adopter of RH, I would ask if you have ever used it. There is really nothing wrong with it as a trading app under normal circumstances. It's only been issues with 9:30am Monday occasional outage issues for the most part which doesn't impact normal investors.
Secondly, what does that have to do with anything? RH singlehandedly changed the stock trading landscape for the better.
This however, is pretty unforgivable, but as has been said repeatedly, RH wasn't the only ones to do this, so if the plan is to boycott anyone who did the same thing the pickings are going to be slim.

I have not .. I assumed the major benefit of RH was the ability to buy fractional shares which is great for people that don't have a lot of money to invest ...
Other than that, what is the advantage over something like an Etrade?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

802 posts in this topic match your search for posts by bmore-pinball. You are on page 1 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bmore-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=bmore-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.