Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by yzfguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2.jpg
    1.jpg
    image_2.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    0610_KSLO_Pinball7_5804206_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
    There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Edit:
    X-Men: worth. All the more as the $ gap seems to be the weakest compared to other games. Playfield and software are différents
    Acdc: not really worth. All the more as the mini playfield is quite useless. Drop target bank versus stand up target bank can't justify the price gap. Better light show as for all premium machines. but angus face is so ugly.
    Tron: not worth. The biggest price gap as there is no premium pin. The eli ramp mod can tied LE machine. Drop target bank, recognizer moving and a MB added on the limited edition
    Metallica: worth. hammer toy added, moving cross, disappearing ball lock into coffin, snake jaw
    Star Trek: not worth. Amazing light show However on premium/LE
    Walking Dead: worth. Light show, lifting ramp, crossbow
    Kiss: not worth
    Avengers:worth. hawk eye ramp and minor price gap with pro.
    LOTR: not worth. esthetic improvements
    Avatar: not worth. has a powerball starting 2x scoring
    Rolling Stones: not worth. has a powerball starting 2x scoring
    Elvis: not worth
    What about Transformers, mustang, wrestlemania?

Star Trek Premium/LE also includes a kickback, webslinger, and crashing ship, in addition to the various light show improvements.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from the_one:

For the Mustang I can say the Prem/LE isn't worth the extra cash. Even the Pro has the most beautiful artwork on the cabinet and is looking really bad ass. The car on the turntable and the add. ramp seems not count for the extra cash, spend it for some cool mods on the Pro and another good WPC game

I disagree. While the Mustang Pro's cabinet is fine looking, the LE has unique beautiful luminescent artwork that is fantastic when seen in person. The Premium/LE versions also add the tremendous risk vs reward pop-up hazard targets, lockdown bar action button, electric gate locks, and revolving turntable Mustang letters among other features that add greatly to the overall gameplay. AND, to top it all off, LE's could be found at comparably bargain prices thus significantly reducing any cost savings to be gained by settling for a Pro.

My only disappointment with the LE is that the current software still fails to utilize the backbox flashers. Hopefully, Stern will yet recognize their responsibility to make this advertised feature actually work and provide an additional upgrade accordingly.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Star Trek Premium/LE also includes a kickback, webslinger, and crashing ship, in addition to the various light show improvements.

Kirk is ALWAYS overselling this "crashing ship" (and every other underwhelming feature on this LE).

It shakes. Big deal.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

Pro is always the way to go
    Acdc pro is faster
    Star Trek pro is faster
    Metallica pro is faster
    Kiss pro is faster
    Twd pro is faster yes it is I have played both

You can always count on someone to say that the less featured game is faster or "has more flow" like that sole descriptor makes the game better

I don't even understand some of these. TWD Premium turns a ramp into a bash toy, how can removing a dangerous ball return be "faster"?

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

You can always count on someone to say that the less featured game is faster or "has more flow" like that sole descriptor makes the game better
    I don't even understand some of these. TWD Premium turns a ramp into a bash toy, how can removing a dangerous ball return be "faster"?

Hey...I just took the radio, air conditioning, and GPS out of my car....sooo much faster now

#56 8 years ago

Don't forget that Star Trek Prem/LE have foil covered baked potatoes hovering over both ramps. That's definitely worth the price of admission for exclusivity.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Hey...I just took the radio, air conditioning, and GPS out of my car....sooo much faster now

Yeah, but you drive a teal Prius.

#58 8 years ago

Acdc: not really worth. All the more as the mini playfield is quite useless. Drop target bank versus stand up target bank can't justify the price gap. Better light show as for all premium machines. but angus face is so ugly.

AC/DC Premium is totally worth it. Like Metallica, the machine is so much more alive. Drop targets are absolutely better - there are also the TNT drops which reveal the lone TNT standup target - a tight and satisfying shot - and the TNT plunger moves up and down when you hit it. What about the bell!?!? ACDC Pro doesn't have a swinging bell (the later-run LED version does, but it's not as cool as the Prem/LE bell). You get the real molded train, the "dancing" band (yes, cheesy - but it moves in sync to each song's beat specifically...it makes Multiball feel more fun IMO), the crossover ramp, color changing LED inserts, color changing GI FX. I like the mini playfield - it doesn't play a huge role but it's something different and unique - and of course it looks better than the Angus "cover up decal" face. AC/DC Premium is a complete game. Pro is just too clearly stripped.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

AC/DC Premium is totally worth it. Like Metallica, the machine is so much more alive. Drop targets are absolutely better - there are also the TNT drops which reveal the lone TNT standup target - a tight and satisfying shot - and the TNT plunger moves up and down when you hit it. What about the bell!?!? ACDC Pro doesn't have a swinging bell (the later-run LED version does, but it's not as cool as the Prem/LE bell). You get the real molded train, the "dancing" band (yes, cheesy - but it moves in sync to each song's beat specifically...it makes Multiball feel more fun IMO), the crossover ramp, color changing LED inserts, color changing GI FX. I like the mini playfield - it doesn't play a huge role but it's something different and unique - and of course it looks better than the Angus "cover up decal" face. AC/DC Premium is a complete game. Pro is just too clearly stripped.

That's how I feel about GOT as well on first sight, regardless of the "speed and flow" of the game. The premium/LE just has more shots and more things to do. Seems like it'll have more staying power.

#60 8 years ago

Another pinside thread where we all learn for the 1,8346,756,374,645 time that taste is subjective. Stern give you options! Options are awesome! Decide what works for you, *FOR EACH TITLE INDIVIDUALLY* and buy it (or don't)! Features, art package, budget, theme appeal, etc,....the equation is different for each title and each person's connection to said title.

For whatever reason, the Stern Premiums always have the art package that appeals to me the most out of the three. Art is super important to me (but not to everyone! Plus its totally valid that other packages would appeal more to other individuals)...so, when I factor in additional features + the art I like best (or hate the least as it may be) + the not quite as insane bump in price vs the LE, then thats usually the best option for me! If I had a strict budget, or thought the PRO art was killer, or both...or thought the Pro played better etc etc etc...the the pro would be a fine option as well. Its not as if the Pros aren't fun to play. I love my Star Trek premium and am glad I have those bells and whistles, but I have played the Pro extensively and its just as fun!

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's how I feel about GOT as well on first sight, regardless of the "speed and flow" of the game. The premium/LE just has more shots and more things to do. Seems like it'll have more staying power.

And I felt exactly the opposite. I think the POTD (Path of the Dragon) would interfere. The biggest reason I don't like Family Guy isn't the play of the upper playfield (the mini pinball machine). It is because slow shots to Lois get lost there, and I cannot see where the ball is. I thought GOT LE and Prem will have the same issue for me being bothered waiting to see where the ball went, so I went with the Pro.

But I 100% agree with Rarehero, on AC/DC the Perm/LE is the real game. The Pro can be a hoot, but having everything on that game is just a much better game to play.

#62 8 years ago

Edit:
    X-Men: worth. All the more as the $ gap seems to be the weakest compared to other games. Playfield and software are différents
    Tron: not worth. The biggest price gap as there is no premium pin. The eli ramp mod can tied LE machine. Drop target bank, recognizer moving and a MB added on the limited edition
    Metallica: worth. hammer toy added, moving cross, disappearing ball lock into coffin, snake jaw
    Star Trek: not worth. Amazing light show However on premium/LE
    Walking Dead: worth. Light show, lifting ramp, crossbow
    Kiss: not worth
    Avengers:worth. hawk eye ramp and minor price gap with pro.
    LOTR: not worth. esthetic improvements
    Avatar: not worth. has a powerball starting 2x scoring
    Rolling Stones: not worth. has a powerball starting 2x scoring
    Elvis: not worth
    What about Transformers, mustang, wrestlemania?

Tron LE has a separate multiball (Daft Punk) I'm not sure what it does but that's a fairly big thing, we all like modes and to have a complete extra mode would be nice.

AcDc Premium. I'm not going to say that the mini PF is the greatest thing ever. But it is fun to play (to me). I know it doesn't really tie into the game as it's like a stand alone game. But I like it, and casual players really like it. I give AcDc premium a bit thumbs up also for color changing inserts. I am a big fan of these and I believe this was the first pin to utilize them (before Woz), major props for the color changing inserts. The bell is also very nice too.

ST I was initially plus/minus on the laser star field projection but with the black out mod as well as the upgraded laser it's really stunning.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Kirk is ALWAYS overselling this "crashing ship" (and every other underwhelming feature on this LE).
    It shakes. Big deal.

Both versions shake, dippy.

Premium/LE has a more sophisticated mech which allows the ship to drop head first is a crashed mode when defeated. It stays this way during the Victory Laps mode, then regains upright position.

It's a neat effect, and I like it. Also, it is a mechanical, not cosmetic, difference between the Pro and Premium/LE models.

Care to whine about anything else?

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

From my experience, I think most Pros are as good and, at times, better than the LE .... The only exceptions for me are X-men and Avengers LE. In the case of X-men I really like the spinning disk and pop up Night Crawlers. At the end of the day, though, I'm not sure it's worth the headache of the moving Iceman ramp.

Can't you just disable the ramp?

#65 8 years ago

"Dippy". LMAO!

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Can't you just disable the ramp?

Yes.

I'm thinking of going crazy though if I ever get an X-men LE. My thought/goal was to actually replace that whole ramp with the one from a pro. I just have to get an X-men first.

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

GOT was released with totally finished code!!!

You obviously didn't play the first week shipping code. Features might be there but calling the code "finished" is egregious.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

You obviously didn't play the first week shipping code. Features might be there but calling the code "finished" is egregious.

The code looks better in person.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It shakes. Big deal.

When i saw it first time, it had reminded me more the LOTR tower then MM castle.

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

The code looks better in person.

Yeah, it's tons of fun when your top entry into the launch party tournament is wiped by a game reset and the multiball summary scores show 2 billion+ that never happened. From where I was standing it didn't look so hot.

#71 8 years ago

Doesn't really matter, neither version of ST has Color DMD support.

Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Both versions shake, dippy.
    Premium/LE has a more sophisticated mech which allows the ship to drop head first is a crashed mode when defeated. It stays this way during the Victory Laps mode, then regains upright position.
    It's a neat effect, and I like it. Also, it is a mechanical, not cosmetic, difference between the Pro and Premium/LE models.
    Care to whine about anything else?

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Doesn't really matter, neither version of ST has Color DMD support.

Patience, my young Padawan.

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

And I felt exactly the opposite. I think the POTD (Path of the Dragon) would interfere. The biggest reason I don't like Family Guy isn't the play of the upper playfield (the mini pinball machine). It is because slow shots to Lois get lost there, and I cannot see where the ball is. I thought GOT LE and Prem will have the same issue for me being bothered waiting to see where the ball went, so I went with the Pro.
    But I 100% agree with Rarehero, on AC/DC the Perm/LE is the real game. The Pro can be a hoot, but having everything on that game is just a much better game to play.

LOVE Stewie Pinball on FG. Isn't that what's great about pinball? There's something for everybody!

#74 8 years ago

We went with Premium on AC/DC and Pro for Star Trek and Metallica.
    Happy with all three.

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from zeddex:

Another pinside thread where we all learn for the 1,8346,756,374,645 time that taste is subjective. Stern give you options! Options are awesome! Decide what works for you, *FOR EACH TITLE INDIVIDUALLY* and buy it (or don't)! Features, art package, budget, theme appeal, etc,....the equation is different for each title and each person's connection to said title.
    For whatever reason, the Stern Premiums always have the art package that appeals to me the most out of the three. Art is super important to me (but not to everyone! Plus its totally valid that other packages would appeal more to other individuals)...so, when I factor in additional features + the art I like best (or hate the least as it may be) + the not quite as insane bump in price vs the LE, then thats usually the best option for me! If I had a strict budget, or thought the PRO art was killer, or both...or thought the Pro played better etc etc etc...the the pro would be a fine option as well. Its not as if the Pros aren't fun to play. I love my Star Trek premium and am glad I have those bells and whistles, but I have played the Pro extensively and its just as fun!

Thanks for your 1,8346,756,374,645 th participation.

More serioustly the commun point is to answer one question: How to know which game i would really like if i can't buy it and so make my own and fair opinion based on a solid experience? You ask advises to other pinsiders, you try to compare your own tastes with other collectors, their experience, their collection etc..you try to look for similarities to put all your chances on your side.

#76 8 years ago

hi,
    i have noticed that the average money gap between pro and premium/LE stern machines was 3000$
    Acdc: 3000$
    Metalica: 3500$
    Star Trek: 3000$
    Tron: 4500$
    X-men: 1500$
    etc
    In your opinion, based on the software, esthetic or other factor which pinball machine worth this difference? none,1,2..all?
    thanks

I looked at your collection and list of previously owned games. It looks like you like variety and probably buy and sell a lot. I think each game should be considered individually. In my observations, most of the LEs have not appreciated in value much beyond the sale price. I think the long strategy is best to not buy in the first year. Other than the convenience of having it shipped relatively cheap in a well protected box, you could end up saving quite a bit. Also, you loose the risk of it being a turd. There are, consistently, nice examples of premium and LE games for sale. Many of those are very low play and have been in one location since being unboxed.

My own experience doesn't quite match my advice.

Spider-Man- 1st pin, NIB. I wasn't aware of BSM and wouldn't have spent the extra. (Eventually sold for variety).
    ACDC Prem- got it NIB first run. I thought it, and still do, that it was the best version short of BIB. (Eventually sold for variety).
    LOTR LE- got it in trade. Either model would have been fine.
    Tron LE- bought it used with original code. Low play. (Eventually sold for variety). This is the only game I have sold for a profit. It was not my goal, circumstances just worked out that way.
    STLE- got it NIB. Dream theme. Totally love it. To me, well worth the extra money.
    Mustang Pro- got it in trade. I really like this game now but sure thought it was a turd when released. This was a great way for me to try it. I'm now looking to upgrade.

Now I'm looking at GOT and just can't decide. I really liked the pro, but think I want the castle. I'll just have to play one first and that may take a while to find one. I'll probably decide at TPF in March.

#77 8 years ago

I wish more Stern games would follow the ST model. They really got it right on that one. The pro doesn't feel stripped down and plays great. The premium offers some compelling upgrades like metal return ramps, a real kickback, and better lighting. And the LE takes the whole package and wraps it in some stunning cosmetic upgrades that truly set it apart.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Not for me. I like my games full featured.

I do as well. And as long as the used pinball market remains strong and you only lose about the same amount of money when you sell a premium that you do when you sell a pro, then it really doesn't matter (as long as you have the means to for the initial amount). But if/when that ever falters, I'll be permanently out of the premium/LE market. They cost way too much for me.

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I looked at your collection and list of previously owned games. It looks like you like variety and probably buy and sell a lot. I think each game should be considered individually. In my observations, most of the LEs have not appreciated in value much beyond the sale price. I think the long strategy is best to not buy in the first year. Other than the convenience of having it shipped relatively cheap in a well protected box, you could end up saving quite a bit. Also, you loose the risk of it being a turd. There are, consistently, nice examples of premium and LE games for sale. Many of those are very low play and have been in one location since being unboxed.
    My own experience doesn't quite match my advice.
    Spider-Man- 1st pin, NIB. I wasn't aware of BSM and wouldn't have spent the extra. (Eventually sold for variety).
    ACDC Prem- got it NIB first run. I thought it, and still do, that it was the best version short of BIB. (Eventually sold for variety).
    LOTR LE- got it in trade. Either model would have been fine.
    TRON LE- bought it used with original code. Low play. (Eventually sold for variety). This is the only game I have sold for a profit. It was not my goal, circumstances just worked out that way.
    STLE- got it NIB. Dream theme. Totally love it. To me, well worth the extra money.
    Mustang Pro- got it in trade. I really like this game now but sure thought it was a turd when released. This was a great way for me to try it. I'm now looking to upgrade.
    Now I'm looking at GOT and just can't decide. I really liked the pro, but think I want the castle. I'll just have to play one first and that may take a while to find one. I'll probably decide at TPF in March.

I totally agree with you, i would not ever buy new in box. What you don't see In my owned games list are STLE and ACDC premium bought NIB. a bad event in my Life forced me to sell them still in The box, just arrived. So i do not consider that i had them but Generally i prefer to buy once The value is stabilized that allows me to limit The risk of bad game.

Anyway, if money was not a problem i would not ask myself if i buy a pro or premium/le.

If i can summarize this thread until now is that The gameplay on whatever edition are The same or very very close. Premium and LE are essentialy aesthetic improvements or toys added However That have no real influence on The gameplay. They are intended to wealthy collectors which is not at all a criticism. If i could i would buy only LE pinball machine. So except X-Men, i don't think a premium worth 2000-2500$ more or The value of an BSD or NGG more for example.

#80 8 years ago

I like my games full featured

And yet...a lot of times the LE "features" seem like afterthoughts, things designed simply to pad out the package and entice people to spend more money.

The lower playfield on AC/DC is useless. It's CLEARLY an afterthought, something where more time was put into the asthetics than integration. I never pick those modes because they aren't fun and you don't need to do them to get huge scores. The old Stern LE model of "throw in a shaker/power ball" was the same thing. Pointless.

You really have to wade through the LE "full features" to decide what's worth extra money to you. Do I really need a Space ship on my Star Trek that not only shakes, but droops limply? I mean "crashes?"

I just played 3 hours of GOT last night and I'm wondering what an extra upper playfield is gonna do for the gameplay on that one. Seemed pretty awesome just how it was.

"Full-featured" is totally in the eye of the beholder on this one. Many of the features just seem like tacky add-ons.

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And yet...a lot of times the LE "features" seem like afterthoughts, things designed simply to pad out the package and entice people to spend more money.
    The lower playfield on AC/DC is useless. It's CLEARLY an afterthought, something where more time was put into the asthetics than integration. I never pick those modes because they aren't fun and you don't need to do them to get huge scores. The old Stern LE model of "throw in a shaker/power ball" was the same thing. Pointless.
    You really have to wade through the LE "full features" to decide what's worth extra money to you. Do I really need a Space Ship on my Star Trek that not only shakes, but droops limply? I mean "crashes?"
    I just played 3 hours of GOT last night and I'm wondering what an extra upper playfield is gonna do for the gameplay on that one. Seemed pretty awesome just how it was.
    "Full-featured" is totally in the eye of the beholder on this one. Many of the features just seem like tacky add-ons.

If I recall correctly, Steve Ritchie once said that he designed games with what he wanted to do and implemented that design for the premium/LE. From there, he stripped it down to meet the BOM requirements of a pro. I'm not really sure he didn't want a lower playfield on AC/DC. Just because it sucks doesn't mean it wasn't meant to be there. I personally would want everything on my machine that the initial designer intended. The fact that the GOT pro plays so well without everything else is just a testament to SR's genius (and Dwight's awesome coding!).

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

The problem with Metallica Pro is that the callouts all assume the hammer-lock mechanism is there. Like, "Where did it go?" and "It just smashed the ball!". I need to edit those someday.

Send me the rom if you do

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The lower playfield on AC/DC is useless. It's CLEARLY an afterthought, something where more time was put into the asthetics than integration.

Nope, Steve designed the full game then stripped it down to the Pro. The lower playfield is the biggest evidence of that - if it was an "add on" for the Prem/LE, then the Angus face wouldn't look like a decal placeholder shaped EXACTLY like the missing window.

Whether it was implemented well or not comes down to how the game was coded, not how it was designed.

#84 8 years ago

But that is useless, like on congo or others, i mean under mini playfield.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Nope, Steve designed the full game then stripped it down to the Pro. The lower playfield is the biggest evidence of that - if it was an "add on" for the Prem/LE, then the Angus face wouldn't look like a decal placeholder shaped EXACTLY like the missing window.
    Whether it was implemented well or not comes down to how the game was coded, not how it was designed.

OR...is he mini playfield shaped exactly like that horrible picture ?

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pro-vs-premiumle/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.