Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by yzfguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2.jpg
    1.jpg
    image_2.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    0610_KSLO_Pinball7_5804206_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
    There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

hi,
    i have noticed that the average money gap between pro and premium/LE stern machines was 3000$

Acdc: 3000$
    Metalica: 3500$
    Star Trek: 3000$
    Tron: 4500$
    X-men: 1500$
    etc

In your opinion, based on the software, esthetic or other factor which pinball machine worth this difference? none,1,2..all?

thanks

#2 8 years ago

The gap is closer to $2k for prem vs pro. Acdc is worth the difference.

#3 8 years ago

I don't buy any of this shit. But if I did...

AC/DC - yes! Love the drops and most of the other crap. Strangely enough I find the lower playfield useless and never pick those modes

Metallica - No! Waste of money for the hammer that blocks the playfield and the other stuff I don't care about. Pro is great.

Star Trek - no! The bling is cool but I find the original game is fine.

Tron - yes! The pro is bland.

X-Men - why would I waste money on either?

Walking Dead - I'm going with yes! Love the bombs and the lifting ramp.

Kiss - huge resounding NO! The extra stuff is useless and the Pro delivers.

#4 8 years ago

I agree with crazylevi but in the case of st I would go with the LE.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

AC/DC - yes! Love the drops and most of the other crap. Strangely enough I find the lower playfield useless and never pick those modes
    Metallica - No! Waste of money for the hammer that blocks the playfield and the other stuff I don't care about. Pro is great.

I agree, too. It just depends on the title. Sometimes the extras are worth it and sometimes they're not. If possible play both and decide for yourself. If not possible, read Pinside and watch some game play videos.

p.s. Since Sterns are no longer released with finished code, it's best to wait about a year after release to see how the pin turns out. Many titles have been bashed upon release and then adored about a year later. And then there's duds like Wrestlemania that can't be salvaged.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

p.s. Since Sterns are no longer released with finished code...

GOT was released with totally finished code!!!

#7 8 years ago

Only one worth it on your list is AC/DC IMO. KISS is another one that is worth the upgrade. Light show, red metal apron, drop in front of Star Child, and back board magnet are great. Oh and XM is an awesome pin haters gonna hate.

#8 8 years ago

Also, pros these days don't have service rails...wtf???

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Agree with all this but Metallica. Hammer blocks nothing, and is an awesome toy & physical ball lock. "Real" Spinners rule. Color changing GI FX are incredible. Color changing inserts do a better job of letting you know what your shots are than the red inserts of the Pro. Snake Jaw is an awesome "toy" that functions as a drop target & a ball catcher. Rising Grave Marker is cool. The game is significantly more alive and interesting.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Agree with all this but Metallica. Hammer blocks nothing, and is an awesome toy & physical ball lock. "Real" Spinners rule. Color changing GI FX are incredible. Color changing inserts do a better job of letting you know what your shots are than the red inserts of the Pro. Snake Jaw is an awesome "toy" that functions as a drop target & a ball catcher. Rising Grave Marker is cool. The game is significantly more alive and interesting.

I wish I could get more time on a MET Prem/LE. Most of us around here bought Pros.

#11 8 years ago

AC/DC is the only one I'd buy for the cosmetic upgrade, I can't stand the Angus face. I think the lower playfield is pretty mediocre, but it looks way better.

Star Trek and Metallica Pro are already fully featured games, I wouldn't pay $1000s for the upgrades (although STLE looks sweet). I like playing Metallica Pro more than the LE, the hammer blocks the captive ball entirely and I actually like the pro art package best. There's some cool mechanical stuff added other than that, but nothing that outweighs the con of the hammer to me personally.

I don't care about X-Men either way, and can't think of another game I've played both the Pro and LE of enough to judge.

#12 8 years ago

There is no code improvement for premium/LE?

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I like playing Metallica Pro more than the LE, the hammer blocks the captive ball entirely and I actually like the pro art package best. There's some cool mechanical stuff added other than that, but nothing that outweighs the con of the hammer to me personally.

Dammit when are you going to understand that it doesn't block Rarehero's view at all?!?!

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

All this stuff....I just got a premium and love it. So glad I splurged.

#15 8 years ago

From my experience, I think most Pros are as good and, at times, better than the LE.

Tron, for example. Alot of folks think the LE is better. Personally I prefer the Pro. The LE has drops for TRON and that means I cann't bank off the targets to hit GEM. That would kill the game for me. Hitting the GEM shot is hard and I use the stand ups all the time.

The mini playfield in AC/DC? No biggie and not missed at all.

Star Trek? The Premium/LE look amazing and if you have the cash go for it, but the Pro is just fine and doesn't seem to be missing much other than bling. I have the Pro with the alt transite plus Refinery Backbox and speaker -- lighting is tied to the game and it looks amazing. I got it HUO and saved over $2K vs a Premium. I cann't justify the extra cash just for looks.

The only exceptions for me are X-men and Avengers LE. In the case of X-men I really like the spinning disk and pop up Night Crawlers. At the end of the day, though, I'm not sure it's worth the headache of the moving Iceman ramp. For Avengers, I think the Hawkeye ramp improves the game play tremendously and the LE is the only one I would want. The price difference, in the case of Avengers is minor, and you get alot of bang for the extra buck.

\

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Dammit when are you going to understand that it doesn't block Rarehero's view at all?!?!

I mean if you Lyman Sheats it you can see the captive ball.

0610_KSLO_Pinball7_5804206_ver1.0_640_480.jpg0610_KSLO_Pinball7_5804206_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

#17 8 years ago

I just bought an ac/dc 3 days ago and I bought a premium so that says it all.
    With ac/dc I defenitly think it is worth it, no ugly face, drop targets, better sound, swinging bell but for me the biggest difference over the pro are the color changing leds I just love how they look and give the game a much more modern feel.

#18 8 years ago

Star Trek go Premium and get the blackout mod.

#19 8 years ago

I have a very hard time justifying the price difference. There are games where I would definitely prefer the premium; TWD, Avenger's, Tron..... Therefore I'll unlikely be buying any of those titles at all.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well, he might be the first person who specifically said "blocks the captive ball" ...that, is factually true. Blocking the playfield is false and is just such an odd narrative that continues to pop up. That being said, the coffin/hammer magnet is visible & lined up precisely with the captive ball - and you can see that, so that's what you shoot for. I've never aimed for the captive ball and missed.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

There is no code improvement for premium/LE?

Which game? Every game is different. Code is generally the same, aside from the Prem/LE specific features. Tron LE has an extra Multiball that the Pro doesn't have. Avatar & Rolling Stones LE have a powerball that starts 2x scoring that the Pro doesn't have (most don't care cuz its random).

#22 8 years ago

That's amazing there is not an alternative Angus artwork on acdc, it is so ugly.

So i can make a first analysis:
    X-Men: worth. All the more as the $ gap seems to be the weakest compared to other games. Playfield and software are différents
    Acdc: not really worth. All the more as the mini playfield is quite useless. Drop target bank versus stand up target bank can't justify the price gap. Better light show as for all premium machines
    Tron: not worth. The biggest price gap as there is no premium pin. The eli ramp mod can tied LE machine. Drop target bank, recognizer moving.
    Metallica: not worth. Just hammer toy added.
    Star trek: not worth. Amazing light show However on premium/LE
    Walking dead: worth. Light show, lifting ramp, crossbow
    Kiss: not worth
    Avengers:hawkeye ramp, minor price gap with pro.
    LOTR: not worth

What about transformers, mustang, Avatar, rolling stones, wrestlemania?

#23 8 years ago

That's amazing there is not an alternative Angus artwork on acdc, it is so ugly.
    So i can make a first analysis:
    X-Men: worth. All the more as the $ gap seems to be the weakest compared to other games. Playfield and software are différents
    Acdc: not really worth. All the more as the mini playfield is quite useless. Drop target bank versus stand up target bank can't justify the price gap. Better light show as for all premium machines
    Tron: not worth. The biggest price gap as there is no premium pin. The eli ramp mod can tied LE machine. Drop target bank, recognizer moving.
    Metallica: not worth. Just hammer toy added.
    Star Trek: not worth. Amazing light show However on premium/LE
    Walking Dead: worth. Light show, lifting ramp, crossbow
    Avengers:hawkeye ramp, minor price gap with pro.
    LOTR: not worth
    What about Transformers, mustang, Avatar, Rolling Stones, wrestlemania?

Uh....there's way more than "just a hammer" on Metallica.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, he might be the first person who specifically said "blocks the captive ball" ...that, is factually true. Blocking the playfield is false and is just such an odd narrative that continues to pop up.

I'll give you the captive ball one...that sounded new to me....but the other thing; it might be a possibility that if you keep hearing it it may just be true; for some people. Don't assume everyone is your same height and plays with the same stance as you. I get it but if you throw out 80% of reoccurring nonsense views you still have to have a couple left don't you?
    Personally, I just think it looks like shit BUT I've actually never seen one in person or played it, so I cannot comment on the actual site lines.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll give you the captive ball one...that sounded new to me....but the other thing; it might be a possibility that if you keep hearing it it may just be true; for some people. Don't assume everyone is your same height and plays with the same stance as you. I get it but if you throw out 80% of reoccurring nonsense views you still have to have a couple left don't you?
    Personally, I just think it looks like shit BUT I've actually never seen one in person or played it, so I cannot comment on the actual site lines.

I know it's not true because I have eyes, have played the game for years... and it's not true. I've looked at it from every stance. It's a specific size that doesn't change from game to game (unless you installed Aurich's smaller hammer) that literally cannot block a playfield. It hovers over the captive ball so you can't see that (but like I said, you can see the magnet that's right in front of it, so you if you need a visual to aim at the captive ball, it's a perfect visual cue). Behind the hammer are some plastics...that those being "blocked" doesn't hamper any gameplay. You can clearly see Sparky, who's right up the middle and impossible to not see...you can see the snake and pop bumpers to the other side of it. The phrase "block the playfield" is factually false.

#26 8 years ago

For Tron just get one, no matter LE or Pro; routed or HUO, Broken or working...just get one. For MET, either but if you go Prem get the Roadcase edition. For AC/DC get the Luci. Skip X-Men and Avengers and get an IMVE.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I know it's not true because I have eyes, have played the game for years... and it's not true. I've looked at it from every stance. It's a specific size that doesn't change from game to game (unless you installed Aurich's smaller hammer) that literally cannot block a playfield. It hovers over the captive ball so you can't see that (but like I said, you can see the magnet that's right in front of it, so you if you need a visual to aim at the captive ball, it's a perfect visual cue). Behind the hammer are some plastics...that those being "blocked" doesn't hamper any gameplay. You can clearly see Sparky, who's right up the middle and impossible to not see...you can see the snake and pop bumpers to the other side of it. The phrase "block the playfield" is factually false.

I find it distracting. It's very large and it distorts the depth perception that I'm used to on the pro where nothing is there. Just like stuffing a teddy bear in the back of your STTNG may not technically block the playfield, but might distract you.

I played hundreds of games on a pro before running into an LE. I didn't like the hammer and still don't. Won't argue with semantics but it sure FELT like some bare playfield I used to see was now "blocked" by the hammer. In any case, I don't like it.

#28 8 years ago

Finished code or not I don't think the LE can help GOT. I played the the pro and it was both awful to look at and to play. A big disappointment for me anyway.

#29 8 years ago

The problem with Metallica Pro is that the callouts all assume the hammer-lock mechanism is there. Like, "Where did it go?" and "It just smashed the ball!". I need to edit those someday.

#30 8 years ago

I had a Metallica pro but felt like I was really missing the hammer. So I sold it and bought a low play LE. Then I got addicted to modding it lol. I love the hammer as well as all the extras that the prem/le includes. Plus my new hammer blocks nothing important and looks badass!!!

image.jpegimage.jpeg
    image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg
    image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

#31 8 years ago

I'd say that whatever you choose, you should leave $ in your budget for a Color DMD, FF speakers and a shaker.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

The problem with Metallica Pro is that the callouts all assume the hammer-lock mechanism is there. Like, "Where did it go?" and "It just smashed the ball!". I need to edit those someday.

Does it still show the animation of the ball being smashed?

Even in the LE there are some "old" callouts that shouldn't be there. James says "Smash 4 balls!" (You only have to smash 3). They say "Casket Multiball" but the DMD says "Coffin Multiball"...they can just change the text to "Casket" though - problem solved.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Uh....there's way more than "just a hammer" on Metallica.

Just Tell me, i will add In the summary what it is. Thx

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Does it still show the animation of the ball being smashed? .

No.

#35 8 years ago

I played both, and have ordered a MetPrem. To me, the mechanical differences were real, and satisfying. The cross riding feels like an achievement, the casket swallowing them releasing the balls is awesome, etc. This is by far my favorite game, and I had to have it fully loaded. I do like the KISS Pro, and will likely get one- and I thought Star Trek pro would be sufficient, but my friend's LE tells me otherwise whenever I play it.

#36 8 years ago

Check my post #9

#37 8 years ago

- Hammer
    - disappearing ball lock into the coffin (caused by the hammer). Actual ball lock vs a virtual one.
    - Moving Cross
    - spinners
    - Snake Jaw (often downplayed but makes a pretty big difference in gameplay)
    - Color changing inserts
    - Active GI that adjust based off what is happening in the game
    - Service rails
    - Standard lock bar and receiver
    - Speaker panel logos (didn't realize this was standard till I looked it up on the website)
    - Powder Coated rails and legs (LE only)
    - Mirrored translight (LE only)

#38 8 years ago

Just a minor thing...but those met logos on the speakers don't come on the new run with the round speakers

#39 8 years ago

I think MET Prem/LE buyers get their money's worth. It just wasn't money I was ready to spend at the time.

Quoted from 85vett:

- Snake Jaw (often downplayed but makes a pretty big difference in gameplay)

Can you briefly explain this? When I load a ball in the Snake during multiball, I think it stays there for 20 seconds. What's different on the Prem/LE?

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I think MET Prem/LE buyers get their money's worth. It just wasn't money I was ready to spend at the time.

Can you briefly explain this? When I load a ball in the Snake during multiball, I think it stays there for 20 seconds. What's different on the Prem/LE?

The jaw closes so another ball can't get stuck in there accidentally.

During main gameplay, the jaw goes up and you have to open it before getting the ball in the mouth...so it's like a cool controlled drop target.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

During main gameplay, the jaw goes up and you have to open it before getting the ball in the mouth...so it's like a cool controlled drop target.

Wow, I thought the Snake was hard enough on the Pro!

#42 8 years ago

So, Stern puts a little more into a premium than a pro and charges 2K more for it, but it's still less than what the best B/W games have. Most newer Sterns are fast and furious (and often fun), but as far as fun to shoot at features are concerned, they're lacking.

Many of them could stand a MIST Mutliball feature like BSD going across the sparse playfields, except replace the ball with tumbleweed.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Many of them could stand a MIST Mutliball feature like BSD going across the sparse playfields

Have you played Kiss Premium, or am I missing your sarcasm?

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Have you played Kiss Premium, or am I missing your sarcasm?

Kiss's "Mist" feature is baffling. It's the most useless application of a cool mech. The ball floats on the backboard and drops into the Starman area. Big friggin whoop. BSD mist is an interactive challenge for the player. Use the BOM wisely !

#45 8 years ago

Edit:

Acdc: not really worth. All the more as the mini playfield is quite useless. Drop target bank versus stand up target bank can't justify the price gap. Better light show as for all premium machines. but angus face is so ugly.
    Tron: not worth. The biggest price gap as there is no premium pin. The eli ramp mod can tied LE machine. Drop target bank, recognizer moving and a MB added on the limited edition
    Metallica: worth. hammer toy added, moving cross, disappearing ball lock into coffin, snake jaw
    Star Trek: not worth. Amazing light show However on premium/LE
    Walking Dead: worth. Light show, lifting ramp, crossbow
    Avengers:worth. hawk eye ramp and minor price gap with pro.
    LOTR: not worth. esthetic improvements
    Avatar: not worth. has a powerball starting 2x scoring
    Rolling stones: not worth. has a powerball starting 2x scoring
    Elvis: not worth

What about Transformers, mustang, wrestlemania?

#46 8 years ago

Pro is always the way to go
    Acdc pro is faster
    Star Trek pro is faster
    Metallica pro is faster
    Kiss pro is faster
    Twd pro is faster yes it is I have played both

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

Pro is always the way to go
    Acdc pro is faster
    Star Trek pro is faster
    Metallica pro is faster
    Kiss pro is faster
    Twd pro is faster yes it is I have played both

You are wrong guys

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:Pro is always the way to go

Not for me. I like my games full featured.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Oh and XM is an awesome pin haters gonna hate.

i have done yesterday over 57m (an honorable score if i can compared with high scores here) and i still not understand how i did it. just try to play the best i can without knowing what i need to hit to score high. Frustration.

#50 8 years ago

1.jpg1.jpgFor the Mustang I can say the Prem/LE isn't worth the extra cash. Even the Pro has the most beautiful artwork on the cabinet and is looking really bad ass. The car on the turntable and the add. ramp seems not count for the extra cash, spend it for some cool mods on the Pro and another good WPC game

2.jpg2.jpg

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pro-vs-premiumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.