(Topic ID: 164959)

Is your Stern ghosting / crazing / insert lifting / other ?

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 724 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I own a GB, GOT, SMVE, Other”

• My SMVE playfield has issues 47 votes
    12%
  • My GOT playfield has issues 56 votes
    15%
  • My GB playfield has issues 126 votes
    33%
  • My SMVE playfield has no issues 20 votes
    5%
  • My GOT playfield has no issues 61 votes
    16%
  • My GB playfield has no issues 73 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 383 votes by 295 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

got2 (resized).jpg
got (resized).jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
got1 1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170817-003356 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191046 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-191229 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170816-190921 (resized).png
20891245_10214168576867555_1762156284_n (resized).jpg
20864577_10214168576307541_479756045_n (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rum-z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from sygu:

there is no problems on Stern Pinball...

Ahhhh... the Jedi mind trick.

1 week later
#203 7 years ago

I always thought the goal of routing the insert pockets were to route them a little shallower than the raw insert height. Then the inserts can be pushed and glued in so they sit on the step in the routing, which would fully support the insert and prevent the inserts from sinking at all. After the insert installation, I thought the whole playfield was then drum sanded to finish the excess insert heights down to the playfield surface making everything flush and ready for screen printing of the art. Why would you route the insert holes extra deep and risk the inserts sinking? Is this what is happening? Are the routed inserts pockets excessively deep and the glue unable to hold the insert from sinking?

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If this is what's happening, that's unbelievably sloppy.

I'm just wondering here. Has anyone looked under their playfield to see if there is an excess gap in the routing? Heck, even if there is, what if it's supposed to be there because someone in production thought it would be a good idea to fill that gap with glue? I guess this gets back to how are playfields supposed to be made in regards to this routing depth? Maybe Vid or someone else in the industry knows? I just think if I was making playfields I'd want the insert fully supported by the step in the routing, but what do I know?

1 week later
#361 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So we at least know that the playfield insert holes were routed to the correct depth, and that glue held during the drum sanding operation. (loose inserts in the sanding drum buck out into a wedge).
I tried to remove some of the ghosted inserts, and they are glued down tight. No movement even with a little heat.

Thanks for this info Vid. I personally wondered about this.

1 year later
#659 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I'm going to get in the next 4-6 months that almost everyone has banana inserts that ghost on Star Wars.

It seems to me that banana (sometimes we called them hot dog) shaped inserts always seem to be the most problematic shape for inserts. Forgive me for bringing up my ancient Williams/Bally history, but I swear I've had to re-level banana/hot dog inserts more than any other shaped inserts on my older W/B games. It just seems that there's something about the large curved shape that makes this style of insert want to shift around more than others.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rum-z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-your-stern-ghosting-grazing-insert-lifting-other?tu=rum-z and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.