IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 36.
#1401 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Check the two kick outs, fun house and cycle jump
Both trigger as soon as the game boots up

Tested both no issues there.

#1402 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Still looking for some advice in bringing back a Comet. Please see my post above.

Do you have a volt meter......?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-properly-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-vids-guide

#1403 2 years ago

Yes and checked all solenoids and fuses. All are in range (exempt for the f2 fuse that continues to blow). Displays don’t come on at power on. Only the playing field lights and black lights.

#1404 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Yes and checked all solenoids and fuses. All are in range (exempt for the f2 fuse that continues to blow). Displays don’t come on at power on. Only the playing field lights and black lights.

So game boots up, plays the "AHHHHHHHHHH!" sound, and enters the playfield light show attract mode?

#1405 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So game boots up, plays the "AHHHHHHHHHH!" sound, and enters the playfield light show attract mode?

No, nothing. Just blows the fuse. Lights do stay on though

#1406 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

No, nothing. Just blows the fuse. Lights do stay on though

When you say lights, you mean just the General Illumination?

So no blinking, CPU controlled lights at all?

#1407 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When you say lights, you mean just the General Illumination?
So no blinking, CPU controlled lights at all?

Yes exactly. No blinking lights

#1408 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Yes exactly. No blinking lights

So your first problem is that your CPU is not booting up.

Give some close up pics (especially around the battery holder)

Do you have 5v on the CPU?

#1409 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So your first problem is that your CPU is not booting up.
Give some close up pics (especially around the battery holder)
Do you have 5v on the CPU?

How do I check 5v to the CPU?

#1410 2 years ago
F16A77BA-80A2-4E7C-95F5-401164475C1F (resized).jpegF16A77BA-80A2-4E7C-95F5-401164475C1F (resized).jpeg
#1411 2 years ago

I’m sure I have many issue but found to solenoid is blowing the fuse. When I test the solenoid in circuit, the Q81 transistor causes the fuse to blow. Guessing replacing the transistor will solve this issue?

#1412 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

I’m sure I have many issue but found to solenoid is blowing the fuse. When I test the solenoid in circuit, the Q81 transistor causes the fuse to blow. Guessing replacing the transistor will solve this issue?

There is the little pre driver transistor next to it that has to go too

But if the game does not boot, a driver transistor is the least of our worries

#1413 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is the little pre driver transistor next to it that has to go too
But if the game does not boot, a driver transistor is the least of our worries

So any suggestions or hope?

#1414 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

So any suggestions or hope?

Get your meter out

Set it to Volts DC

Find the Test Points on the CPU or the connector (IJ17) where the voltage comes in and make sure you have 5vdc

If not, then go to the power supply board and see if you have 5vdc working there

1 week later
#1415 2 years ago

Look for a spoon for a Jet Bumper on a Comet pin. Anyone know part number and where to order?

05ECD187-176C-4C0E-AD91-C607CAA98A9B (resized).jpeg05ECD187-176C-4C0E-AD91-C607CAA98A9B (resized).jpeg
#1416 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Look for a spoon for a Jet Bumper on a Comet pin. Anyone know part number and where to order?
[quoted image]

If you order for Marco Specialties or PinballLife, the spoon you're going to get will be the right size. My understanding is they're basically standardized (though if you were putting it on a Bally, which you're not, you'd need to slightly enlarge the screw holes).

Links:
Marco Specialties https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-921
PinballLife https://www.pinballlife.com/plastic-pop-bumper-spoon.html

#1417 2 years ago

Today I punched my Admit One ticket and joined the club! Bought a nice machine with the usual bumps and bruises on the cab but overall really solid, paid $1700. Im one CYCLONE short of the trilogy.

Anyone got a link to the ducks and bunnys targets decals?

#1418 2 years ago
Quoted from Philly76:

Today I punched my Admit One ticket and joined the club! Bought a nice machine with the usual bumps and bruises on the cab but overall really solid, paid $1700. Im one CYCLONE short of the trilogy.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1367

#1419 2 years ago
Quoted from Philly76:

Is this the one that was on FBMarketplace? I almost tried to get it myself, what a great deal on this game. It looked to be in great shape, and man, Comet is just addictively fun. Welcome to the club, congrats on snagging a deal!

#1420 2 years ago

Looking for a detailed photo of the underside of the Playing field of the Jet Bumpers. Also the Switches and part numbers for those bumpers

#1422 2 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Is this the one that was on FBMarketplace? I almost tried to get it myself, what a great deal on this game. It looked to be in great shape, and man, Comet is just addictively fun. Welcome to the club, congrats on snagging a deal!

Yeah it was, luckily I live close by and snagged it. I know such a great deal I couldn't refuse. Thank you and looking forward to being part of the club

#1423 2 years ago

Very happy to report and thanks to the information gathered here, I have my comet about 95% up and running. Still having issue with my Jet Bumpers. I have a by pass on the F2 fuse to stop it from blowing but now as soon as I power up the machine the TIP 79 and 83 both blow (like catches on fire). I have checked and replaced all of the solenoids on the Jet Bumper. Checked the wiring and the boards. I see nothing that can be causing this issue. My very uneducated guess is I have wires ground to something but just can’t find it.

I can pull the F2 Fuse back sally killing all solenoid action, but the game boots up and play (miss the solenoids) flawlessly. I am sooo close. Can anyone assist and push me over the hump?

MUCH appreciation to all in the Comet Club. Your stories have inspired me and your problems/solutions have helped me get this far. Thank you

#1424 2 years ago

Don't ever bypass the fuse - it's much easier to replace a fuse than the corresponding transistors. VID can easily show you how to put a little circuit-breaker in there if you don't want to keep buying fuses. Those transistors (79 and 83) that keep blowing up control the upper and lower jetbumpers. Inspect your wiring on those solenoids and you should find a short somewhere. When you replace the big 79 & 83 transistors, also replace the smaller pre-drive transistors in their circuit as well, as VID mentioned...

#1425 2 years ago

I’m finally going to try to get my comet working again. It was working prior to moving to another state (GI lights up, but doesn’t start up) so I’m hoping it’s just a loose connection somewhere.. here’s to wishful thinking.

#1426 2 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Don't ever bypass the fuse - it's much easier to replace a fuse than the corresponding transistors. VID can easily show you how to put a little circuit-breaker in there if you don't want to keep buying fuses. Those transistors (79 and 83) that keep blowing up control the upper and lower jetbumpers. Inspect your wiring on those solenoids and you should find a short somewhere. When you replace the big 79 & 83 transistors, also replace the smaller pre-drive transistors in their circuit as well, as VID mentioned...

My apologies. By by pass I meant circuit breaker. VID?

#1427 2 years ago
Quoted from remf:

I’m finally going to try to get my comet working again. It was working prior to moving to another state (GI lights up, but doesn’t start up) so I’m hoping it’s just a loose connection somewhere.. here’s to wishful thinking.

Is it in test or program mode? Are the flippers activated right as you power up?

1 week later
#1428 2 years ago

My machine voice sounds (not system/game sounds) sometimes are garbled. I.E. - the dummy etc is very static-y and unintelligible. Then seemingly for no reason, it will sound "better". Is this a common System 9 problem and how would I go about fixing it?

#1429 2 years ago
Quoted from Philly76:

My machine voice sounds (not system/game sounds) sometimes are garbled. I.E. - the dummy etc is very static-y and unintelligible. Then seemingly for no reason, it will sound "better". Is this a common System 9 problem and how would I go about fixing it?

I had a similar issue. It ended up being a power problem. I rebuilt the power board and it fixed the issue.

#1430 2 years ago

Can anyone confirm this Bottom medal guide is supposed to look like this? We the ball comes down the lane it hits that medal and cause the bit of a bump in the flow of the ball. The medal piece is a bit rough and it probably causing wear on the ball it’s self

35CCF4C2-E42A-4E61-8352-1A972848EA09 (resized).jpeg35CCF4C2-E42A-4E61-8352-1A972848EA09 (resized).jpegE9AD3319-CC73-4493-93B9-24B9D1B6B60D (resized).jpegE9AD3319-CC73-4493-93B9-24B9D1B6B60D (resized).jpeg
#1431 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Can anyone confirm this Bottom medal guide is supposed to look like this? We the ball comes down the lane it hits that medal and cause the bit of a bump in the flow of the ball. The medal piece is a bit rough and it probably causing wear on the ball it’s self [quoted image][quoted image]

To me it looks like someone bent it down to accommodate the improper ball gate. My Comet is at my kids house or I could look at mine.

#1432 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Can anyone confirm this Bottom medal guide is supposed to look like this? We the ball comes down the lane it hits that medal and cause the bit of a bump in the flow of the ball. The medal piece is a bit rough and it probably causing wear on the ball it’s self [quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Pinbub:

To me it looks like someone bent it down to accommodate the improper ball gate. My Comet is at my kids house or I could look at mine.

Just looked at mine and Pinbub is correct, it is bent to accommodate the incorrect gate.

#1433 2 years ago

Any ideas of where to get the actual piece for this?

#1434 2 years ago

You should be able to search the part numbers. Look up the part number in the manual. Marco ( marcospecialties.com/ )tries to keep most of these in stock. If they don't have it, I will usually just google the part number and see what comes up.

#1435 2 years ago

Hello,

Im having an issue with the 2 lamps behind the One Million sign. If I put a lamp in the 3 lug socket, the other lamp wont light up and the 2x,3x,4x,5x lamps flicker when lit ( same lamp column) I think the lamp sockets in the Million sign are wired wrong? Can someone post a picture of how a working one should look?

20220419_210331 (resized).jpg20220419_210331 (resized).jpg
#1436 2 years ago
Quoted from OpSteel:

You should be able to search the part numbers. Look up the part number in the manual. Marco ( marcospecialties.com/ )tries to keep most of these in stock. If they don't have it, I will usually just google the part number and see what comes up.

Sadly Marcos does not stock these. So hoping someone as a comet parts machine available with one of these that I can buy from them

#1437 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Sadly Marcos does not stock these. So hoping someone as a comet parts machine available with one of these that I can buy from them

Make one. Marco sells the wire and a bending jig. I’d rather have the correct part but sometimes stuff is NLA.

#1438 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Make one. Marco sells the wire and a bending jig. I’d rather have the correct part but sometimes stuff is NLA.

Unfortunately, this isn't possible—it's not a wire piece. It's a metal ball guide.

The part number is I believe A-10712, and there don't seem to be any available searching on the internet...

If I were you, @mfdavis1, I'd reach out to Marcos about possibly recreating them (from listening to podcasts with the folks who run the business, sounds like they're receptive to requests from the community, in terms of sourcing parts).

And in the meantime, find a way to grind and smooth that metal piece so it's not gonna chew up your balls, and will feed correctly during play. If you'd like, I'm happy to pull the glass off my game, take the plastics off, and send you some clean photos of how it looks, how it should fit in a stock game, and what the exact measurements are. Feel free to message me if you'd like.

Maybe there's something comparable out there, but in terms of part number, this is the only game that I can find (via an admittedly quick search) that uses that part. Finding someone parting out a beater is always a possibility!

#1439 2 years ago

Unfortunately, this isn't possible—it's not a wire piece. It's a metal ball guide.
The part number is I believe A-10712, and there don't seem to be any available searching on the internet...
If I were you, mfdavis1, I'd reach out to Marcos about possibly recreating them (from listening to podcasts with the folks who run the business, sounds like they're receptive to requests from the community, in terms of sourcing parts).
And in the meantime, find a way to grind and smooth that metal piece so it's not gonna chew up your balls, and will feed correctly during play. If you'd like, I'm happy to pull the glass off my game, take the plastics off, and send you some clean photos of how it looks, how it should fit in a stock game, and what the exact measurements are. Feel free to message me if you'd like.
Maybe there's something comparable out there, but in terms of part number, this is the only game that I can find (via an admittedly quick search) that uses that part. Finding someone parting out a beater is always a possibility!

My bad I couldn’t see what he had circled.

This could be an easy part to create a dxf for and get one made from SendCutSend. My comet is torn apart for restore right now but I can dig around for that guide. I need some MM guides from SCS so I can possibly add to that order.

But yeah just grinding it would be easier.

#1440 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Yours appears to be bent. Here’s mine, sorry for the bad angle.

And if anyone would happen to have the upper metal bracket (ball gate assembly A-10744), please let me know. Mine is quite bent.

F35599C1-FCDB-4507-9B70-837C271944E0 (resized).jpegF35599C1-FCDB-4507-9B70-837C271944E0 (resized).jpeg
#1441 2 years ago

Anybody have a left slingshot plastic they don't want? It's the one that says train station that can be seen in the above post picture! Mine is completely missing, would prefer nice but some small damage is ok as its better than nothing. Any help is appreciated! thanks

#1442 2 years ago

If I were you, mfdavis1, I'd reach out to Marcos about possibly recreating them (from listening to podcasts with the folks who run the business, sounds like they're receptive to requests from the community, in terms of sourcing parts).

You can get one from Cliffy at PassionforPinball.Com

Comet-ENH-Frame (resized).jpegComet-ENH-Frame (resized).jpeg
#1443 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

You can get one from Cliffy at PassionforPinball.Com[quoted image]

Amazing! Big ups to Cliffy!

#1444 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

You can get one from Cliffy at PassionforPinball.Com[quoted image]

I got all of the set from Cliffy a while back. Highly recommended

#1445 2 years ago
2 weeks later
#1446 1 year ago

Anyone know the part number for the lamp bayonet base inside the pop bumpers? Mine are oxidized and not making a good connection. A friend told me there's a brush tool that can clean these up? Idk

#1447 1 year ago
Quoted from Philly76:

Anyone know the part number for the lamp bayonet base inside the pop bumpers? Mine are oxidized and not making a good connection. A friend told me there's a brush tool that can clean these up? Idk

If you have a Dremel, there is this bit that came with your kit, that can clean out those oxidized sockets (metal brushes can leave behind bristles that short out the lamp )
Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 00-32-35 dremel bits - Google Search (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-05-13 at 00-32-35 dremel bits - Google Search (resized).png

But ...I'd just skip the crappy socket altogether and put in a LED disc:

33f5c97738c1fee2c6ca76a81e7c5e54a43c2c7b (resized).jpg33f5c97738c1fee2c6ca76a81e7c5e54a43c2c7b (resized).jpg

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet#post-4470189

#1448 1 year ago

The LED discs light up the pop pen excellently

77bd8b32f3b85604f798e607fe2c978364b4b1d0 (resized).jpg77bd8b32f3b85604f798e607fe2c978364b4b1d0 (resized).jpg
#1449 1 year ago
Quoted from Philly76:

Is it in test or program mode? Are the flippers activated right as you power up?

Finally got it to work today after putting it off for awhile. Not sure what the issue was (flippers would not work and the gi would only light up). I ended up reseating all of the pin connectors and basically fiddled around until it finally booted up. Now I just need to figure out why 3/4 of my backbox lights and million points lights behind the jumper ramp don’t work, but I’ll save that for another day.

A5070987-074F-48C3-8DDF-25C3F046D53C (resized).jpegA5070987-074F-48C3-8DDF-25C3F046D53C (resized).jpeg
#1450 1 year ago

I thought I was the only one with an IM next to a Comet
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/29?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.