IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmieczko.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#155 6 years ago

Just rejoined the club after a several-year break. Very glad to have my Comet back! This one needs a full shop job - has anyone put colored or clear Titan rubber in their Comet? Looking for recommendations. Also, has anyone found a good free-play / instruction card set? I'm having trouble finding something cool & custom. Dave

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I went with Titan silicone in white, with one yellow and one orange flipper and orange post sleeves. I thought about clear, but decided against it. Love the Titans so far.

Cool, thanks. Definitely orange post sleeves seems like a good idea. I'll probably choose white or clear rubber for the rest.

#158 6 years ago

Still can't find a cool "free-play" card so I slapped this together in Word using a little piece of a side art scan. I'll see how it looks on the apron tonight.

comet-free (resized).jpgcomet-free (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#178 6 years ago

Just want to say that I LOVE my Comet. It was one of the first pinball machines I ever owned, and it got me into the collecting hobby. I sold it several years ago, and have since owned dozens of different titles - everything from Walking Dead to Twilight Zone to Black Knight and a bunch in between. I had the chance to reacquire the game a couple months ago in a package deal, and I am really enjoying it all over again. There's something about the sounds, themes, playfield designs, and absolute fun factor that I love about these system 9's. That is all...

1 month later
#187 6 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Any suggestions are more than welcomed.

Congrats!! If you're going to fully shop it out, I suggest clear Titan rubber with orange flipper rubber & post sleeves. I just did mine with that combo, and it looks amazing.

1 month later
#239 6 years ago

Just curious about the proper setup of this lane guide. I have seen Comets with one small rubber on each post, a 1 1/2" rubber stretching over both posts, and the lane guide turned one way or the other... Anyone positive how this is supposed to be set up?

comet-lane (resized).jpgcomet-lane (resized).jpg

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

I'd stay with the single 1-1/2" rubber (as shown in the manual), but flip the single sided guide around so that the slick plastic side guides the ball straight down and out. It may be that having the rubber side in the return lane helps to slow down the ball, so it doesn't fly past the flipper.

This makes a lot of sense - thank you!

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Should be 1 1/2" rubber stretched around both posts, according to the manual. The lane guide flat part faces left toward the return-to-play outlane, otherwise ball will hang up in the inlane drain. Note that the upper post is moveable for conservative/moderate/liberal setting...so that is something to check into if you are having problems.

This too! Thanks.

1 year later
#512 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I've had Comet and Cyclone at my place for a while now and I definitely prefer Comet. Is it just me?

You are not alone... I love Comet - one of my all-time favorites. I'm not even sure why I like it so much, I just do.

1 week later
#536 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:As fellow owners of a Comet, would you recommend either a Hurricane or Cyclone pinball? These seems to be sister games to the Comet. Thanks for the advice.

I like Comet best of the three, but the others are pretty fun as well. The consensus is Cyclone is the best, but I am not with the majority here. It's very cool to have all three in a row - I've also thought of having all the system 9 machines in a row - Comet, Sorcerer, and Space Shuttle. That would be a great line as well... Never put these together, however.

3 weeks later
#566 5 years ago
Quoted from Nyraiderfan:

anyone have any idea on who might sell this piece?

What's broken, the ball gate, or just the wire form? I can't tell from your photo. I think marco specialties carries these.

4 months later
#623 4 years ago

When I had trouble making it up the center ramp my flippers were just fine. For me, the screws holding the ramp entrance loosened and fell to the bottom of the cabinet. It made the ramp unstable and only a pure center hit would make it up. I’d take a peek there before spending money.

3 months later
#707 4 years ago

I'll take a look at mine tonight too - if that plastic is there and in good shape, I can do a quick scan and eMail it to whoever needs it...

Dave

4 weeks later
#730 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

I was wondering how many of you have "COMET" below the door on the front of your machines? It's on the flyer for Comet but until I saw it on the one offered by Markpin2013 right now in Blaine Texas I'd only ever seen it on the flyer. I've never seen it on the pins at shows I've attended or on other machines listed for sale.

Mine does not have "COMET" below the door. I think that's pretty rare.

1 year later
#1168 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Anyone else ever seen a Comet with that post?

Nudging the machine to save that left drain is one of my favorite parts of Comet. I can't believe anyone would add a post above that lane.

1 month later
#1177 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Just spent a few days reading this thread from start to finish, as I'm a new owner!

John Ross from Pinball Plus is currently working on my game, giving a complete work-over. Looking forward to hearing it's nearly done!

Congrats! Other games move in and out of my lineup regularly, but COMET never leaves!

4 months later
#1279 2 years ago

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'll ask anyway. I'm getting stuck balls at the base of the center ramp. What's my best option to shim things so the ball rolls smoothly back out without hanging up?

Wow, I've never seen a stuck ball here. For starters, certainly loosen that front-edge and slide a shim under it to come even with the playfield. How much height difference do you have there? Any pix?

#1284 2 years ago

Sorry, I misspoke. It was the million point ramp. And I was able to figure out the problem...

OK - great!

4 months later
#1359 2 years ago
Quoted from jk:

What is everyone with freeplay40 ramps using to shave down the playfield wood so the ramp is level?

I used a small, sharp wood chisel - shaved out a little wood, and the ramp fits perfectly...

2 weeks later
#1376 2 years ago

If you just replaced your flipper solenoids, check your wiring / soldering. Post a picture here and someone will tell you right away if you wired it incorrectly.

1 month later
#1424 2 years ago

Don't ever bypass the fuse - it's much easier to replace a fuse than the corresponding transistors. VID can easily show you how to put a little circuit-breaker in there if you don't want to keep buying fuses. Those transistors (79 and 83) that keep blowing up control the upper and lower jetbumpers. Inspect your wiring on those solenoids and you should find a short somewhere. When you replace the big 79 & 83 transistors, also replace the smaller pre-drive transistors in their circuit as well, as VID mentioned...

2 months later
#1466 1 year ago
Quoted from GraniteStatePin:

Also in Function #34 ...Game Adjustments #4 Background/Attract Mode Sound there is a column labeled "Spot ducks/rabbits double target" which can be changed from on to off. Does anyone know what this does?

I'm not positive, but the first time you attempt to light the 4 duck and 4 rabbit targets, hitting one will light not only the one you hit, but the one next to it. I assume that is a function of this setting being on. After the first round which turns on the lights for the center-ramp, I believe this function disappears and you have to hit each target directly.

2 weeks later
#1483 1 year ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

My wife and I bought a project comet from an estate sale a few weeks ago and I just added it to our collection. Today I am joining the comet club.

You won't be disappointed. At my house, other games come and go, but Comet and Baby Pac are there for good.

collection1 (resized).jpgcollection1 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#1587 1 year ago
Quoted from PogoFX:

How is this pin ranked so low?

I picked up Comet a couple of months ago along with Space Shuttle. My first two pins. I wasn't even supposed to keep Comet as I got it for someone else. Well, they never returned my calls or text so I could set up delivery. After I played a few games, I knew it wasn't going anywhere. I love it just as much as Shuttle. The timing of the drains can be brutal sometimes, but I always feel like I'm one or two shots away from having an epic score. And that keeps me coming back. And yes, I like that "annoying" music . . . even though it gets stuck in my head some days.

I'm not good player and I'm certainly not an expert, but this pin seems grossly underrated to me. I'll be adding my rating shortly and I'll bet there are a few folks out there that may need to revisit theirs. Hey Turkey, give Comet some love.

Agree 100%. I tell anyone who will listen - other games come and go, but Comet and Baby Pacman are here to stay!!

IMG_8343 (resized).jpgIMG_8343 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#1640 1 year ago

Also, please note that the Comet flipper rebuild uses a shorter coil stop. This allows for the flipper to travel a greater range of motion. Once I did a flipper rebuild with regular coil stops, and the difference was noticeable - switched them right back.

#1643 1 year ago

I would think Pinballlife would have the correct coil stops, for sure. And yes, that missing part would be a regular star post plus a single-sided lane guide, if I remember correctly...

6 months later
#1695 7 months ago
Quoted from interconnect:

Almost done with my Comet restoration... has anyone addressed or figured out a way to prevent the airballs when going up the Comet ramp or the Cycle Jump ramp? I know it's a common issue with this game, but was just wondering if anyone out there figured out a way to prevent it. Thanks.

Please don't correct this issue - the ball smacking the glass as it goes up the center ramp is one of the best features IMO...

1 month later
#1738 6 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I wonder who screwed up the formatting on the text??

It's like all the text drifted up to the top of the frame...

Yeah, that's awful. I hope they aren't printing them like that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmieczko.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there?tu=dmieczko and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.