IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 36.
#1251 2 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm torn because my center ramp is fine, but I know if I get yours it'll last forever.
Since your plastic is thicker, can we install your center ramp without the metal plate at the bottom that covers up part of the coaster?

That's how I installed mine (without the metal entrance part). The plastic on Mark's ramps is extra thick, so you'll need to actually cut out a little more depth in the playfield where the entrance of the ramp sits to make it sit level with the playfield anyway. This wasn't hard to do at all and without the metal part and now you can see all of the Comet coaster decal.

#1252 2 years ago

The issue with lane change is fixed. There was a wire off the switch which was very difficult to see. Thx VID.

Now I am looking for the balls gate assembly of the wire for the left outlane. Seems it’s out of stock and discontinued. There is a paper clip in its place, it works but would like to get the proper part.

#1253 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Now I am looking for the balls gate assembly of the wire for the left outlane. Seems it’s out of stock and discontinued. There is a paper clip in its place, it works but would like to get the proper part.

Just bend a new one from Piano Wire

It's stiff and springy, so it won't deform like a paper clip does.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts-blog/custom-fabricate-your-own-wire-gates-and-wire-forms/

1 week later
#1254 2 years ago

My cycle jump outhole is not ejecting ball back into play. I know the switch works cause it makes the proper sound when the ball enters the outhole. If I gound the coil at the mpu connection, the ball ejects so I believe the coil and wiring is good so it must be a board issue. I’m not sure what to look for, any help is appreciated.

#1255 2 years ago
Quoted from RazorV23:

My cycle jump outhole is not ejecting ball back into play. I know the switch works cause it makes the proper sound when the ball enters the outhole. If I gound the coil at the mpu connection, the ball ejects so I believe the coil and wiring is good so it must be a board issue. I’m not sure what to look for, any help is appreciated.

Run the Solenoid Test.

If it doesn't fire, it's probably the driver transistor, and the pre-driver transistor : always replace both at the same time

#1256 2 years ago

One of my two all time favorite pins is Comet. I put together this back panel mod of Riverview amusement park graphics that I think really adds to the look of the pin. It is 90% done.

IMG_9275 (resized).jpegIMG_9275 (resized).jpegIMG_9563 (resized).jpegIMG_9563 (resized).jpeg

#1257 2 years ago
Quoted from Dan986:

One of my two all time favorite pins is Comet. I put together this back panel mod of Riverview amusement park graphics that I think really adds to the look of the pin. It is 90% done.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That is great! Just looking at my back panel the other day and thinking how empty it looks.

#1258 2 years ago
Quoted from Dan986:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I'll buy one if you make a few extra

#1259 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I'd buy one too

#1260 2 years ago
Quoted from Dan986:

I put together this back panel mod of Riverview amusement park graphics that I think really adds to the look of the pin. It is 90% done.

I like how it has a very Persian look to it.

#1261 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

It needs a few little adjustments and then Pingraffix will be selling them. They should be for sale in a few months. I will post here again when they available.

#1262 2 years ago

How best to get the cycle-jump outhole kicker to really KICK?

It seems to me it should kick the ball into the pops, right? Mine just kind of dribbles out (sometimes needing another hit, or two, when it doesn't get enough force from the first one!), and will 30-40% of the time just go directly down the right outlane.

I've changed the coil sleeve, and the solenoid is firing fine...any ideas?

#1263 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Quoted from Clizifer:

I'd buy one too

Me three. Love this.

#1264 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Im in to

#1265 2 years ago

I agree that the back does look empty. I too am working on the back plane. This is my paper copy that I installed to see what it would look like. Next steps are a few adjustments on onto Mylar printing

1437BA60-90ED-4E9A-AAFB-46C24DCF6D61 (resized).jpeg1437BA60-90ED-4E9A-AAFB-46C24DCF6D61 (resized).jpeg
#1266 2 years ago

Thanks to Vid the piano wire replacing a gate switch is a brilliant idea. Much stiffer than the original and superior to a paper clip

#1267 2 years ago

My Comet is now mostly restored. One issue remains, the #1 and #6 seem to be tied together as one lights up the other. The wiring appears correct. During switch test the lanes only trigger each switch not both. Is there perhaps something in the settings that I am missing?

#1268 2 years ago

A mirrored panel fills out that dead space quite nicely as well

3bf09861dbb08fa1e9baa3f84b6dc29b8f5dde27 (resized).jpg3bf09861dbb08fa1e9baa3f84b6dc29b8f5dde27 (resized).jpg
#1269 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

My Comet is now mostly restored. One issue remains, the #1 and #6 seem to be tied together as one lights up the other. The wiring appears correct. During switch test the lanes only trigger each switch not both. Is there perhaps something in the settings that I am missing?

Does the LaneChange move them correctly?

#1270 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

A mirrored panel fills out that dead space quite nicely as well
[quoted image]

I really like that, where'd you get it?

#1271 2 years ago
Quoted from byurick:

I really like that, where'd you get it?

Ordered a piece of mirrored plexi, cut to fit.

#1272 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Quoted from vid1900:

Just bend a new one from Piano Wire
It's stiff and springy, so it won't deform like a paper clip does.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts-blog/custom-fabricate-your-own-wire-gates-and-wire-forms/

Quoted from vid1900:

Yes the lanes change using the flipper button however the lights are still tied together

#1273 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

I agree that the back does look empty. I too am working on the back plane. This is my paper copy that I installed to see what it would look like. Next steps are a few adjustments on onto Mylar printing
[quoted image]

I'd be in for one if you make some

#1274 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Yes the lanes change using the flipper button however the lights are still tied together

More investigating on the issue of the lights tied together. When I conducted the switch test only one switch registered for each of the 1 and 6, however during game play when making either lane both lights energize. When the 1,9,8 are lit ( as is also the 6) the game recognizes that the 1986 has not been competed and does not allow scoring bonus points. I think that this rules out the switch as an issue. Moving onto the lamp matrix and checking the wiring, all the wiring is as shown in the matrix wiring codes. No other lamps other than the 1 and 6 are affected. Scratching my head on this one but thinking there might be a faulty diode on the lamps, thoughts anyone???????

#1275 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

[quoted image]

Well done! I am going to stick with the artwork I put together for my Comet back panel, but I like the artwork you made too.

2 weeks later
#1276 2 years ago

If I get sound and speech when I push the test button but not in-game, where should I look for a fault?

#1277 2 years ago

Is it much of a change to update from L4 to L5 on the game code?

#1278 2 years ago

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'll ask anyway. I'm getting stuck balls at the base of the center ramp. What's my best option to shim things so the ball rolls smoothly back out without hanging up?

#1279 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'll ask anyway. I'm getting stuck balls at the base of the center ramp. What's my best option to shim things so the ball rolls smoothly back out without hanging up?

Wow, I've never seen a stuck ball here. For starters, certainly loosen that front-edge and slide a shim under it to come even with the playfield. How much height difference do you have there? Any pix?

#1280 2 years ago

Sounds like you're missing the metal ramp protector?

#1281 2 years ago

I’m finally going to clean up my Comet, and I might have a few questions along the way. It looks like the kick out plastic piece near the shooter lane is chipped. Anyone know where to purchase this part?

47BDC060-1EA0-4320-8B4F-B1A77839F12F (resized).jpeg47BDC060-1EA0-4320-8B4F-B1A77839F12F (resized).jpeg
#1282 2 years ago
Quoted from Ryguy25:

I’m finally going to clean up my Comet, and I might have a few questions along the way. It looks like the kick out plastic piece near the shooter lane is chipped. Anyone know where to purchase this part?
[quoted image]

I think this will work....

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9101-9

Can somebody else verify.

#1283 2 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Wow, I've never seen a stuck ball here. For starters, certainly loosen that front-edge and slide a shim under it to come even with the playfield. How much height difference do you have there? Any pix?

Sorry, I misspoke. It was the million point ramp. And I was able to figure out the problem...

IMG_20211001_162222 (resized).jpgIMG_20211001_162222 (resized).jpg

#1284 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Sorry, I misspoke. It was the million point ramp. And I was able to figure out the problem...

OK - great!

#1285 2 years ago

One nagging issue with my comet is that the left post at the center ramp entrance always moved. The gate came free a lot and it was a struggle to keep in place.
Now that I have the playfield disassembled, you can see how bad the post hole is damaged. The underside is also chipped out badly from the nut tearing into the wood every time the post moved.
What’s the strategy here? My instinct tells me to use 2 part wood filler to patch the hole top and bottom, sand down, and drill the hole carefully. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

CCD39F2A-203D-4863-9F67-6E39805F584C (resized).jpegCCD39F2A-203D-4863-9F67-6E39805F584C (resized).jpeg
#1286 2 years ago
Quoted from Ryguy25:

One nagging issue with my comet is that the left post at the center ramp entrance always moved. The gate came free a lot and it was a struggle to keep in place.
Now that I have the playfield disassembled, you can see how bad the post hole is damaged. The underside is also chipped out badly from the nut tearing into the wood every time the post moved.
What’s the strategy here? My instinct tells me to use 2 part wood filler to patch the hole top and bottom, sand down, and drill the hole carefully. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
[quoted image]

If it weren’t for the two cut outs right next to it, I’d say drill press a clean hole and glue in a dowel. But in this case maybe try to remove as much soft/loose wood as you can and fill with putty or maybe resin. I’d try resin but not sure how the T-nut will work with that.

Curious to hear what others think.

#1287 2 years ago

Plug the hole with a hardwood dowel

1 week later
#1288 2 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a place I can buy bumper caps or an apron decal for Comet? It looks like Marco doesn’t have it and I don’t think Steve Young has them either.
My Comet has different bumper caps for some reason, and my apron is scratched up. I have an apron from Grand Lizard that im using that looks pretty good, but it has some magna save info on the apron that isn’t relevant to Comet.

#1289 2 years ago
Quoted from Ryguy25:

Does anyone know if there is a place I can buy bumper caps or an apron decal for Comet? It looks like Marco doesn’t have it and I don’t think Steve Young has them either.
My Comet has different bumper caps for some reason, and my apron is scratched up. I have an apron from Grand Lizard that im using that looks pretty good, but it has some magna save info on the apron that isn’t relevant to Comet.

I've seen the caps on ebay, but haven't looked in a while. May want to check with Mayfair, I was able to find caps for Disco Fever at the York show. Didn't notice any Comets, but can't hurt to ask.

I do see there is an apron on ebay now that could use some touchups.

Maybe put up a pinside wanted ad too.

#1290 2 years ago

I may be the king of this club. I had 2 comets and then picked up another pair for 800 total. So yeah, I have 4 Comets. Couldn't pass up that deal though.

#1291 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I may be the king of this club. I had 2 comets and then picked up another pair for 800 total. So yeah, I have 4 Comets. Couldn't pass up that deal though.

You should just line em up in the game room.

#1292 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I have two. You wanna buy them for your comet collection?

#1293 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I have two. You wanna buy them for your comet collection?

Lmao!!!

I need to sell 2 myself. I have 1 for me and 1 setup for kids in a youth group.

#1294 2 years ago

I’m looking for a comet but I’m sooo far away.

#1295 2 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I’m looking for a comet but I’m sooo far away.

Its only about 3500 miles.

1 week later
#1296 2 years ago

Okay I recently joined the Comet club and I'm so excited to be in it. Mine had so much dust and I've been sitting in a warehouse since about 1996. I had to clean it five or six times before you can really start seeing everything. I do have a question and need help about the metal posts. The operator had used random different sizes, wood screws and whatever they probably have available. I was wondering if people could tell me the sizes and maybe even the spaces where those metal post would go? The manual is not really specific about that. But I'm probably going to have to do some Bondo or something for some of the holes that have been drilled out a little bigger. But overall the Playfield is in great shape. This game is truly a sleeper and it's just woke up from a 25-year nap

20211022_213207 (resized).jpg20211022_213207 (resized).jpg
#1297 2 years ago

Hey, agreed it looks nice after some cleanup, those mylar’s hang in a long time too especially if lightly used. It looks like the metal posts that you left in during your tear down are in the correct place. There will be two more metal posts up by the 1985 lights that stack on top of the red posts, these are the rear ramp supports.
Otherwise can you be more specific about what parts you need locations for? Is it the red posts and their screw locations you need to know about?

Edited for grammar

#1298 2 years ago
Quoted from Ryguy25:

Hey, agreed it looks nice after some cleanup, those mylar’s hang in a long time if they are constantly used for 30 years too. It looks like the metal posts that you left in during your tear down are in the correct place. There will be two more up by the 1985 lights that stack on top of the red posts to get the rear ramp posted up.
Otherwise can you be more specific about what parts you need locations for? Is it the red posts and their screws you need to know about?

Mostly is I understand there's a big post that helps hold up the center ramp. Or any other special posts but I don't know about. Yeah the Marler has held up pretty well although they installed it after it was already in use I can tell but it was probably just barely used. From what I understand of the history it's sat in a pizza restaurant for 11 years and then went in the storage for 25

#1299 2 years ago

Sold 1 of my Comets yesterday.

Quoted from Atari_The_Jedi:

Okay I recently joined the Comet club and I'm so excited to be in it. Mine had so much dust and I've been sitting in a warehouse since about 1996. I had to clean it five or six times before you can really start seeing everything. I do have a question and need help about the metal posts. The operator had used random different sizes, wood screws and whatever they probably have available. I was wondering if people could tell me the sizes and maybe even the spaces where those metal post would go? The manual is not really specific about that. But I'm probably going to have to do some Bondo or something for some of the holes that have been drilled out a little bigger. But overall the Playfield is in great shape. This game is truly a sleeper and it's just woke up from a 25-year nap
[quoted image]

I have tear down pics. Let me know what you are looking for.

#1300 2 years ago

There are a bunch of 1/2 teardown pics here that show most post locations:

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/comet/gallery/shopout

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Cumberland, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.