download (3) (resized).jpeg
20211217_202429 (resized).jpg
20211217_202432 (resized).jpg
20211217_202439 (resized).jpg
20211217_204017 (resized).jpg
wll-a11317-3 (resized).jpg
20211128_152218 (resized).jpg
20211128_152211 (resized).jpg

There are 1,352 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 28.
#1301 80 days ago

Thank you for the images. They are helping immensely! My next task is to look at the display boards the ones in here are on their last legs. I looked and I see a lot of replacenent Williams system 9 this plays out there. I think I want to go with a newer LED replacement. I even saw some with different colors but I think to make the back last pop out a little better. Is there one that people seem to prefer over the other?
Thanks,

#1302 79 days ago

Thank you everyone the pictures are helping immensely! My next task just to get some score displays. I seen a few of them out there. I want to go with LED don't want to mess with some old junk from 1985. Is there a brand or company that you all would prefer? The ones I have are pretty much shot completely also can I ask what find the large light bulbs both on the Playfield in the back glass? I want to see if I can find a super LED equivalent. Thanks

#1303 79 days ago

A number if people have had ghosting problems with Comets combined with Pinscores, so I would avoid those. I would be one of those people, don't ever recall anybody coming up with a fix.

#1304 77 days ago

Just joined the club. Bought it locally from a great guy. The playfield is roached so I picked up a hardtop because I've been wanting to try one instead of doing an entire playfield swap. I had spare near new Williams legs, lockdown bar and Williams coin door.

I also need a backglass. Anyone know where I could get a decent OG backglass or a repro? If it's a repro I'd like the mirroring like the orginal.
Or tell me now if I should stop looking and just get a translite (seen those on eBay). Set me straight team - what should I do and where should I head to purchase?

Thanks

#1305 76 days ago

I don't know of anyone who makes a repro back glass. I do see originals pop up on ebay from time to time. The translite will at least give you something to look at until you can find an original.

#1306 76 days ago

Can't hurt to email Mayfair and see if they have one...

[email protected]

Would be nice if CPR would make it, I suspect they would sell a good amount.

They do pop up on pinside/ebay/facebook/craigslist every so often, so you need to keep your eyes open. I found a NOS on craigslist a couple years ago. I do have decent extra one, but not really looking to sell, especially if it required shipping. I'd probably part with it if somebody local was desperate though.

#1307 76 days ago

BGResto can make a repro backglass.

http://bgresto.com/?p=2998

#1308 76 days ago

So I got my machine working. The first time since 1996 that it actually worked. I did have a setback I dropped a plastic and stepped on it like a moron anyone can guide me to where I can get it or if you have an original. This one really hurts

20211111_173518 (resized).jpg
#1309 75 days ago
Quoted from Atari_The_Jedi:

So I got my machine working. The first time since 1996 that it actually worked. I did have a setback I dropped a plastic and stepped on it like a moron anyone can guide me to where I can get it or if you have an original. This one really hurts

That sucks, but congrats on getting the game going. I think I have an old one if you can't find one to purchase. Looks like almost everything but that one on ebay.

#1310 75 days ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

A number if people have had ghosting problems with Comets combined with Pinscores, so I would avoid those. I would be one of those people, don't ever recall anybody coming up with a fix.

Did they change the design recently ?

I've got Pinscores in Comet, Sorcerer and Space Shuttle and they don't flicker that I can see.

#1311 75 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did they change the design recently ?
I've got Pinscores in Comet, Sorcerer and Space Shuttle and they don't flicker that I can see.

It's definitely not a new issue. I found references to it on RGP. It seems to be exactly the same on all the machines. The ball in play number ghosts into the millions of player 1 and something else ghosts into I think player 3 (millions again). The ghosting is at it worse when the brightness is all the way down, it gets better as it's turned up to a certain point, then get worse as you max it out. New ribbon cables did not help, though I thought they did when I was moving the old ones around, guess I was wrong. I'm pretty sure somebody on Pinside gave up and went with another brand and they worked fine (wolfpak maybe?), don't recall if that was a Comet or another System 9. The Pinscores came with my machine, so I haven't even tried to get replacements.

Any thoughts on a fix? Thanks!

The RGP thread...

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/0N2pOqOeg-o/m/c9arFcQcwHUJ?pli=1

#1312 75 days ago

For the record, i have Wolffpac LED displays in my Comet. They're perfect, even down to the font size and slant.

#1313 75 days ago

I went ahead and ordered an Xpin set. I also saw the Wolfpack that was my second choice

#1314 75 days ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

For the record, i have Wolffpac LED displays in my Comet. They're perfect, even down to the font size and slant.

I just put some Wolffpacs in my Disco Fever a few months ago. They do look real nice, not to mention good soldering practice! Might grab one or the other for the Comet, but the ghosting only bothers me a little bit.

#1315 75 days ago

The million digit flashes at the end of the game if you scored the 1 million point shot on the 3rd ball.

It does not flash if you go over a million without that big bonus.

I'll have to pay attention next time I play....and see what version of the ROM I have installed.

#1316 75 days ago

The pic below is what I mean by ghosting. Since it's on ball 0 a 0 shows up in the million spot on player one. Not as bright as the "real" numbers though.

16367689017333752924786282313490 (resized).jpg
#1317 75 days ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

The pic below is what I mean by ghosting. Since it's on ball 0 a 0 shows up in the million spot on player one. Not as bright as the "real" numbers though.
[quoted image]

I see.

Yeah, that's nothing I've seen myself.

Does it happen if you put the board into a Spaceshuttle or Star Light?

#1318 75 days ago

Hey guys I’ve had my comet since 1990 and finally getting to restore it, just got a new cpu board. Planning on doing a hardtop and complete cabinet respray. Wolfpac led displays and full leds

84F4F18C-C35F-4C3F-8446-52B38E9B3EFB (resized).jpeg
#1319 74 days ago

[quoted image]

That does hurt! I had a spare but gave it to a fellow pinsider about 6 months ago. Good luck in your search.

I have pinscores in my Comet and no ghosting

#1320 74 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I see.
Yeah, that's nothing I've seen myself.
Does it happen if you put the board into a Spaceshuttle or Star Light?

Not too surprised, seems to be only about 6 or 7 known cases of this. I might be able to try it in a friends Comet and see what happens, I don't have access to a Spaceshttle or Star Light. I suspect it's something on the MPU, since the one RGP guy tried another set of pinscores and got the same results. I'll dig around pinside and try to find that other case of it.

#1321 72 days ago

My comet is currently on loan to a local antique store, and they decided to feature my game in a little photo shoot last weekend. Here's the pics

comet3 (resized).jpg

comet1 (resized).jpg

comet2 (resized).jpg

comet4 (resized).jpg

#1322 72 days ago

Quoted from Pinbub:

That does hurt! I had a spare but gave it to a fellow pinsider about 6 months ago. Good luck in your search.
I have pinscores in my Comet and no ghosting

So I was able to find one somebody on Facebook had one I bought it from them as fast as my fingers could hit my PayPal button. Usually I hate when something like this happens cuz finding a replacement is a needle in a haystack

#1323 68 days ago

Anyone know where I can buy a Comet center ramp. Prefer with entrance flap and sticker. I have it in my cart at Marco but $200 seems steep (and no entry flap).

I ordered Wolfpac kit for Comet(red) and a Swords of Fury(blue). My soldering iron is ready!
Hard top arrived but wont tackle install until after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the advice about the backglass. I'm still shopping for one. The restoration price at BGResto is a little steep until I get some comparisons.

#1324 68 days ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

Anyone know where I can buy a Comet center ramp. Prefer with entrance flap and sticker. I have it in my cart at Marco but $200 seems steep (and no entry flap).
I ordered Wolfpac kit for Comet(red) and a Swords of Fury(blue). My soldering iron is ready!
Thanks for the advice about the backglass. I'm still shopping for one. The restoration price at BGResto is a little steep until I get some comparisons.

Freeplay40 has all three ramp plastics for Comet, and they're fantastic. No sticker or steel entrance protector, tho. But you can find those elsewhere; you want Freeplay's ramps.

#1325 68 days ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Freeplay40 has all three ramp plastics for Comet, and they're fantastic. No sticker or steel entrance protector, tho. But you can find those elsewhere; you want Freeplay's ramps.

Mark (Freeplay40) hasn't been on Pinside since the 3rd, I hope he's okay. He does have the decals available with the ramp now. Didn't initially. All the Comet ramps on Marco have got to be his, but might as well buy directly from the source.

#1326 67 days ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

Go to Freeplay40 if possible. Really high quality and solid ramps - I replaced all 3 ramps on my Comet!

comet1 (resized).jpegcomet2 (resized).jpegcomet3 (resized).jpeg
#1327 66 days ago

I got my ramps about 3 weeks ago from Mark (freeplay40) awesome product and person. Highly highly recommend!

#1328 62 days ago

Can anyone take a picture of 1J7 connector on the main board? Anyways I'm putting a Molex connector in this spot and I put all the wires back in the right spot except for the yelloe/gray wire. It appears that there are two of them. But there's only a space for one. I can't make heads or tails from the diagram if they are neutral or maybe that's just one wire that was cut into pieces. I can't use the old connector since it disintegrated as a reference. I am following the color chart in the schematics. The second picture makes me wonder if it was actually just one wire

20211125_165257 (resized).jpg20211125_173102 (resized).jpg
#1329 59 days ago

Good day to all. My stationary switch bracket for the target behind the dunk the dummy broke. I am looking for a replacement for the stationary switch bracket or the assembly. I can’t seem to find the correct one anyone have the correct part number and where to purchase it?

#1330 59 days ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Good day to all. My stationary switch bracket for the target behind the dunk the dummy broke. I am looking for a replacement for the stationary switch bracket or the assembly. I can’t seem to find the correct one anyone have the correct part number and where to purchase it?

I think do you mean the target retaining bracket? Here's a couple of pictures that might help you out I'm not sure where to buy them I was just looking at my manual when I saw this

20211128_152211 (resized).jpg20211128_152218 (resized).jpg
#1331 59 days ago

So I've got the Dark Side of the Moon with this machine I'm starting to put it back together. One thing I've noticed is that who owned it before me were used random post and screws. They even messed up the threading on a couple of them. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the exact sizes and dimensions might be for the screws and post and such. The manual doesn't say squat and I can only guess in the dark but I don't want to strip any threading any more than already has been. Thanks

#1332 58 days ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

My stationary switch bracket for the target behind the dunk the dummy broke. I am looking for a replacement for the stationary switch bracket or the assembly. I can’t seem to find the correct one anyone have the correct part number and where to purchase it?

It's just a standard rear mount Stand Up Target, nothing special

You can get them at PBR or PL

http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-round-stand-up-targets-rear-mounting.html

PBR has all the target faces, so if yours is cracked, you can get a new bullseye there too

wll-a11317-3 (resized).jpg
#1334 57 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's just a standard rear mount Stand Up Target, nothing special
You can get them at PBR or PL
http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-round-stand-up-targets-rear-mounting.html
PBR has all the target faces, so if yours is cracked, you can get a new bullseye there too[quoted image]

Thanks all for your responses. I will look at the two sites mentioned. Vid’s tips are great.

2 weeks later
#1335 43 days ago

Hello! I've lurked for awhile and registered to ask a quick question about my comet main ramp sticker (underneath)
Years ago, I bought a new ramp and sticker. Over time, the sticker has fallen off. It's in great shape, no wrinkles-but just no adhesive. What would be a good clear type of adhesive to apply to either the sticker or the ramp to reattach?
Thanks all, especially vid-your guides are great!

#1336 43 days ago
Quoted from jergo1976:

Hello! I've lurked for awhile and registered to ask a quick question about my comet main ramp sticker (underneath)
Years ago, I bought a new ramp and sticker. Over time, the sticker has fallen off. It's in great shape, no wrinkles-but just no adhesive. What would be a good clear type of adhesive to apply to either the sticker or the ramp to reattach?

I would think a wide piece or sheet of double sided tape would be the best option

#1337 43 days ago
Quoted from jergo1976:

Ramp-O-Matic made a quick tutorial and reusing decals.

https://rampomatic.com/blogs/tutorials/how-to-reuse-decals

#1338 43 days ago

OK, I'm probably missing it in the manual but my head is now hurting from looking at schematics. Just got done rebuilding my flippers, put the playfield down, and now none of my environmental lamps are coming on. All of the feature lamps work fine. It is probably some simple plug or something else I am missing but any advice would be great!

Thanks

#1339 42 days ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Ramp-O-Matic made a quick tutorial and reusing decals.
https://rampomatic.com/blogs/tutorials/how-to-reuse-decals

Thanks! I'm going to order some 3M Adhesive sheets right now.

#1340 40 days ago

Thought I'd show it off my new toy that's made by Mr_Tantrum there's a couple of spots that this could work on this game. But I felt this was the best and I had an extra yellow post rubber so I threw it on there. It kind of reminds me of a theme park of course where you might have one or two cars off to the side for various reasons. I know I seen this at Disneyland.

20211217_202429 (resized).jpg20211217_202432 (resized).jpg20211217_202439 (resized).jpg20211217_204017 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1341 30 days ago

Hi everyone, I'm looking for the gate and the wire form Williams part number: A-10789. It's the gate and the wire that prevent the ball from going back into the plunger after it's done through the Comet ramp. Marco doesn't have any in stock with wondering if somebody might have an extra laying around. Thanks. And I thought this thing was complete

download (3) (resized).jpeg
#1342 29 days ago

Hi everyone, I'm looking for the gate and the wire form Williams part number: A-10789. It's the gate and the wire that prevent the ball from going back into the plunger after it's done through the Comet ramp. Marco doesn't have any in stock with wondering if somebody might have an extra laying around. Thanks. And I thought this thing was complete
[quoted image]

Easy enough to bend from a strip of stainless.

Use the gate from the exit of the cycle jump as your guide.

#1343 26 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Easy enough to bend from a strip of stainless.
Use the gate from the exit of the cycle jump as your guide.

Yeah, I don't really have the tools to make one myself although I could make something really crude. If somebody out there could confirm the measurements for me. I believe that it is 3 in L. 1/3 in W, with a 2in space for the ball. These are the best measurements that I can take based on the space and the other examples which are different sizes on the Playfield. And it doesn't look like this gate size of used anywhere else on any other machine

#1344 21 days ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

Just joined the club. Bought it locally from a great guy. The playfield is roached so I picked up a hardtop because I've been wanting to try one instead of doing an entire playfield swap. I had spare near new Williams legs, lockdown bar and Williams coin door.
I also need a backglass. Anyone know where I could get a decent OG backglass or a repro? If it's a repro I'd like the mirroring like the orginal.
Or tell me now if I should stop looking and just get a translite (seen those on eBay). Set me straight team - what should I do and where should I head to purchase?
Thanks

Don't know if you found a backglass but there is one on ebay right now

#1345 19 days ago

Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone could help a bonehead out...I thought I took enough pics before taking everything apart for a thorough cleaning, but I apparently did not. In all fairness it's been about 6 months since I took everything apart, and my memory is not the best.
Where on earth does this mystery (to me) piece of metal go?
Also, my Comet has a playfield backstop bracket (for when you have it tilted up for service) only on one side. Is this normal? When I'm working on something that requires a bit of tork, the back of the playfield can shimmy, and I'm always afraid it will fall. I'll upload a pic of the one that I do have, in case I'm not describing it coherently. I scoured the manual and can find no reference to it in the whole list of parts, and I've scrolled through page after page of cabinet parts on many parts reseller sites and can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

mystery (resized).jpgbracket (resized).jpg
#1346 19 days ago
Quoted from jergo1976:

Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone could help a bonehead out...I thought I took enough pics before taking everything apart for a thorough cleaning, but I apparently did not. In all fairness it's been about 6 months since I took everything apart, and my memory is not the best.
Where on earth does this mystery (to me) piece of metal go?
Also, my Comet has a playfield backstop bracket (for when you have it tilted up for service) only on one side. Is this normal? When I'm working on something that requires a bit of tork, the back of the playfield can shimmy, and I'm always afraid it will fall. I'll upload a pic of the one that I do have, in case I'm not describing it coherently. I scoured the manual and can find no reference to it in the whole list of parts, and I've scrolled through page after page of cabinet parts on many parts reseller sites and can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm following this because I just noticed I have the same part and my bag of leftover stuff. I have it with a couple of lock pieces so I wonder if it goes to the locking mechanism

#1347 16 days ago

I'm following this because I just noticed I have the same part and my bag of leftover stuff. I have it with a couple of lock pieces so I wonder if it goes to the locking mechanism

I had a hunch that it went somewhere behind the corkscrew ramp to protect it when the playfield is lifted and propped up against the backbox. I'm not sure, though.

#1348 14 days ago

So this thing is coming together looking really good now. It was really a corpse of a machine. I did want to check with you folk about the cycle jump. I understand the ramp is supposed to help launch the ball and it's supposed to act like skee ball where the ball kind of hops into a hole. When I flip it in there always hits the rim of the red ball jump, or it'll fly off the Playfield if I don't have the glass there. Could it be that my ball jump is too high or too far away? I put it exactly where the original one was. Also decided to put the heads of cyclone and hurricane on my machine just to tie them in without them being predominantly featured on a ramp.

20220111_201430 (resized).jpg20220112_132718 (resized).jpg20220112_132723 (resized).jpg20220112_133207 (resized).jpg
#1349 14 days ago

Seems high, in this Pic this post definitely seems high. can these post go in more?
The center ramp will hit the glass for sure but I don't think my jump ramp does.

4624fac95b26a8c716cb09b246d93710269030df~2 (resized).jpg
#1350 14 days ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Seems high, in this Pic this post definitely seems high. can these post go in more?
The center ramp will hit the glass for sure but I don't think my jump ramp does.
[quoted image]

Thanks Thee other post was up a little high as well sp I screwed them down. I've looked at this thing so much I can't see what's in front of my nose anymore. Still got a couple rollovers not playing nice and the gates and everything just need to be played. But it's coming together. I like is that this was probably considered a parts machine by most but is now a glimmering, shimmering, beautiful machine. Don't get me wrong I spend way too many hours and way too many dollars on it. But now we can say we have one more William's Comet known to exist on the planet that actually works. My hope is to put it on a friend's location especially for tournaments and stuff so the other people in my community here can enjoy it.

There are 1,352 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 28.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside