IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago

Comet was a BIG money maker back in the day. We probably had 30+ on route.

A few months back, James "King of Cranes" and I put a bunch of pins in a 20something bar and Comet was the best earner of the group. Better than AFM, Shadow, TAF.....it still earns.

1 month later
#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Amarillopinball:

ALTHOUGH, I am super sad that you can't add initials to the high score

You just carve them into the side of the backbox along with your score.

1 week later
#52 9 years ago

Copy_of_comet.JPGCopy_of_comet.JPG

These sure are not perfect, but can be a good starting point to create your own replacement artwork.

Remember to print with a color laser so it does not fade on "permanent" decal paper, and cover with Mylar.

1 month later
#55 9 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

My wife said I needed a project

That never happens.

1 year later
#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Coin_Door_Kid:

Only issue is that the Lane lights and the lights in that series are out.

Did you put new bulbs in?

8 months later
#95 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

I expect the cycle ramp AIRBALLS, but that steep grade on the middle ramp gives them to me as well.

You are probably missing the thick washers that go under the center ramp rear supports.

Those washers just barely keep the ball from jumping off the ramp.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Found this in the cabinet. It is wired to a switch which activates when the coin door is opened/closed. This machine used to be on route. Some sort of burgler alarm perhaps?

If the game ever starts to smoke, you'll have plenty of warning.

9 months later
#197 6 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Any suggestions are more than welcomed.

Don't use ANY LEDs to light the backbox.

Comet backglass has a warm yellow tone that is killed by any LEDs, even Warm White.

Swap any #44 bulbs for #47. The 47s have way less heat and provide the correct color spectrum for the glass.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from Brent1955:

Hi fellow comites,
has anyone stepped up to the plate and made a replacement corkscrew ramp? Mine is not getting any better with age and will consist mostly of patches and duct tape soon.

It's coming.

I will post as soon as I get the prototype in the mail.

2 weeks later
#218 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

I'm fixing a comet for a friend of mine and it needs displays pretty bad. Looks like Pinscore makes a system 9 display. Before I order, does anyone have any other suggestions?

If some of the displays still work, you can always get a few used ones.

If going LED, make SURE you look at how the Display Controler connects to the game. Some Comets have pin connectors and some have edge connectors. If you just casually look, you will 100% buy the wrong one. You can, of course turn an Edge Connector game into a Pin Connector game, if you own a crimper.

Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Also, is there a good way to cut down on hits to the glass from the jump ramp?

It's supposed to hit the glass.

Those exciting jump moments are what makes Comet so great.

(Whitewater also hits the glass, and if you listen closely, uses the same Wheeeeeeee sound from Comet....)

#221 6 years ago

^ You've got the pin connector style for sure.

3 months later
#275 6 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Wouldn't fall out when you are transporting the pin and the game is folded up?

Nope, it stays put, no problems.

Quoted from Fifty:

What are the holes in the base for then?

Vent holes in case the bulb get stuck in the ON position.

1 month later
#300 6 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Any chance somebody would know how long this lane guide is supposed to be? My playfield was re-drilled there, and the hardtop I bought doesn't help much, seems to be a few extra holes. Thanks!!!

2.25"

The extra holes are so the difficulty of the outlane can be adjusted.

If ball times got too long after a few months, we would move the guide to the harder hole.

#302 6 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Ahh, I see, thanks. I have a couple wobbly posts to take care of, the upper on that being one of them.

You can install a T-nut from below and then use a machine screw instead of a wood screw. This is the strongest post connection.

If you really want to use a wood screw, put a drop of wood glue in the loose hole, then tap in a Bamboo skewer, cut off excess with a pair of wire cutters. You don't have to wait for the glue to dry, just run the screw into the skewer.

#305 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Working on a Comet after it was moved to a new owner. I'm getting lights and a 0 on the CPU board but no displays and I can't seem to coin up and start a game. I'm missing something obvious I just don't know where to go next since I can't find a system 6 guide on the German site.

If you have a meter, make sure your displays have high voltage.

Space Shuttle, Sorcerer and Comet are Sys9

#306 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Now I just need to find some repro ramps. All 3 of mine have some type of damage. If anyone has any spares laying around please hit me up.

Corkscrew ramp mold is being made right now, so in the next few months.

4 weeks later
#313 6 years ago

Here you go (right mouse click, save as):

Comet_manual.pdfComet_manual.pdf

1 week later
#319 6 years ago

comet stickers (resized).jpgcomet stickers (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#329 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Can someone let me know which bulbs are used for the back glass. Looking to order some LED bulbs. Thanks for your help.

Comet is just one of those games that no known LED can provide proper illumination.

They desaturate the colors and make it look like trash.

And anyone that puts blue LEDs behind the COMET letters is officially the king of clown puke.

Just use some #47s, and bask in the genus that was Python.

1 month later
#371 5 years ago
Quoted from mikusm:

Does anyone know what material is used to cover the speaker and/or where I can get some? Just purchased a Comet and it is missing. Can't find ant references.

Probably speaker cover fabric, look for similar at Parts Express

#373 5 years ago
COMET-DECAL-SHEET-5 (resized).jpgCOMET-DECAL-SHEET-5 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#376 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I found a Comet for sale at a reasonable price while doing a Craigslist search, so I thought that I would share with the group. It's not mine.
pittsburgh.craigslist.org link

It's got planking where there is no mylar, typical 80s Williams.

Seems well taken care of, wrong legs though.

1 week later
#387 5 years ago

You can reuse the plastic female connector, but you should replace the internal sockets with Trifurcons. Replace the male connectors at the same time.

Use #47 incandescent bulbs instead of #44 so you pull only 1/2 the current through the new connectors. This will make them last forever.

1 week later
#393 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

So where is the best place to get replacement pop bumpers for my Comet? I'd like to replace the existing solid red ones with translucent yellow,blue, and green ones (to match the bumper car colors). I'd like to get the bodies, caps and solenoids at a "one stop shop"

Solenoids are good forever unless they are black and burnt.

The colored bodies are available here:

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-star-trek-the-next-generation-pop-bumper-body-p-42.html

Colored caps you can find anywhere on earth.

32837699320_e3cc2e725b_z (resized).jpg32837699320_e3cc2e725b_z (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#397 5 years ago

Check if diode is blown

#401 5 years ago

If you replace the driver transistor, replace the pre-driver above it too.

If one goes, the other usually is stressed and soon goes too.

#403 5 years ago

Just to entertain me, take the ball out and go into switch test mode.

When you turn the game on now, does the coil lock after about 1/2 a second?

#407 5 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

So I would need new leaf switches?

Unhook one wire to the stuck coil.

Take the ball out

Go into Switch Test.

#409 5 years ago

I believe that the only active coil in attract mode is the saucer kick out (so that if the game lost power, the ball could be returned to the trough upon power-up).

I don't think that the slingshots would respond to the switches unless a game has started.

I could be wrong, somebody check my math....

#414 5 years ago

The pre-driver 4401 could have been stressed (even if it tested good) and the first trip of the slingshot switch killed it all the way, locking the coil on.

This is a very common 'I fixed it, now it's dead again' happening.

If you like shotgunning, then this time replace the trans AND the pre-trans.

(if you own pins, keep a stock of TIP102 (more heavy duty than the TIP122) and 2n4401 transistors, and coil diodes always in your tool kit)

#418 5 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Hmmmm... I’ve only had to change out a handful myself, but I always made a point of replacing a transistor with the exact same. I took a quick look online but didn’t see any sort of interchange or compatibility table.

It's the same part, just with a higher amperage rating 5A vs 8A.

It costs 2 cents more, so better to get the heavy duty component.

#428 5 years ago
Quoted from waynestatemac:

Oh ok that's good to know. In my case I may just throw it in the cabinet since my machine is just for home use. I did a complete parallel flipper conversion kit install from Pinballlife and even with such haven't had any issues with the ball flying around in that area or getting stuck.

The balls will get stuck there, next time you wax the game, just slip that guard back in place.

Also, it's the perfect place to slip a LED lamp strip under, to light up the dark center of the playfield.

10SMD6.3VSTRIP-2T (resized).jpg10SMD6.3VSTRIP-2T (resized).jpg
1 week later
#442 5 years ago

So the coil is locking on BEFORE the MPU boots?

It locks before the screams come from the speaker?

1 week later
#449 5 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

To close out my problem big thanks to vid. He reccomended changing the transistor, pre driver and diode all at once and sure enough problem solved!
Apparently changing them one at a time would not work.

Congrats on the repair!

With your cherry completely busted, you are now officially a pin-tech!

2 weeks later
#455 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I installed a new dunk the dummy plastic and noticed one of the post that holds the plastic is not correct post. I look in my manual and can't find a part number to order one. Anyone have the part number?
Thanks
[quoted image]

That thing has probably been replaced a few times over the years. It does not have to be the same post as the others.

Put a washer down on the plastic, then a 6-32 screw through the washer and into the hole at the top of the post you have.

Two important things:

1. Put a scrap of Mylar under the new plastic (white side) so the dummy target does not wear all the paint off.

2. Put some of those PETG washers above the posts @ the Dummy, Comet entrance and Funhouse, or those plastics will be broken again in a few months.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet/page/2#post-4483968
53d2eb8e25388d74b704a02dd3e88b370409775d (resized).jpg53d2eb8e25388d74b704a02dd3e88b370409775d (resized).jpg

#458 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

The post must have been changed because there is not hole in that post to screw down the plastic. I guess I could drill a hole in that post.
Thanks for your help.

That post might go in the cycle jump area. They made 8000 Comets and some of the earlier ones had a blank post and no hole in the green plastic near the one way gate. That's why some owners look at the new plastics and are like "huh??"

You can get the proper posts (either with 6-32 hole or with 6-32 stud) from pinball life

Buy an extra post, because those things will shear off sooner or later.

https://www.pinballlife.com/2-14-tall-metal-post-with-threaded-base-and-female-threaded-top.html

530-5332-01_400x169 (resized).jpg530-5332-01_400x169 (resized).jpg530-5332-03_400x169 (resized).jpg530-5332-03_400x169 (resized).jpg

#459 5 years ago

Interesting. I had read that somewhere before, too. This board does not appear to have that option. The folks at Marco are stumped and researching the issue. I'll report back here as things develop.
[quoted image]

I think the jumpers are on on the displays themselves, not the master display board - worth a look

#463 5 years ago

Nothing there that I see (nothing on the back either, just the soldered legs of each digit). Thanks for the suggestion, though.
[quoted image]

Yeah, your's looks different (I see Revision B on your boards)

I wonder why they just did not enable them for all games?

Were there any sys7 games that did not have commas?

#468 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, your's looks different (I see Revision B on your boards)
I wonder why they just did not enable them for all games?
Were there any sys7 games that did not have commas?

Just checked with James, his Comet is Pinscore RevB and the commas all work on his.

He said he did not flip any jumpers, they were set out of the box.

#471 5 years ago

Just so everyone knows what we are talking about:

Comet had two different display driver boards from the factory.

One with edge connectors, the 8363.

s-l160cv0 (resized).jpgs-l160cv0 (resized).jpg

One with pin connectors, the 10749 board that have header pins for voltage and I/O

s9dmasterl_1 (resized).jpgs9dmasterl_1 (resized).jpg

But, none of this has anything do do with commas.

Both boards do the exact same thing, and you can cut the I/O connectors off from the harness and switch one to the other in about 10 minutes.

#474 5 years ago

Does anyone sell the left inlane/outlane lane guide? It's transparent red, double-sided, 3 1/8" I believe. I can't seem to find one.

From the factory, the lane divider was single sided.

If you can't find a single, buy a double, score it on the inside with a razor and snap it off.

Leave about 3mm of the cut side intact so there is some reinforcement to the plastic.

Sand off any rough edge so it does not wear on the rubber ring.

Original flyer:
36001504 (resized).jpg36001504 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#481 5 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Any Ideas on where to look?

There is a scoring switch that is activated at the base of the kicker arm

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet/page/2#post-4484021

2 weeks later
#488 5 years ago
Quoted from madmatt1:

Side question...... Does the dunk tank kicker kick every time the ball is drained?

Each time a new ball is served to the shooter lane, the dummy is reset.

#497 5 years ago

Normal

3 weeks later
#514 5 years ago

I've had Comet and Cyclone at my place for a while now and I definitely prefer Comet. Is it just me?

They are both fun, but Comet is the better game for sure.

#518 5 years ago
Quoted from madmatt1:

On to another subject..... while my pin is down how to do people feel about Playfield Protectors?

A protector will keep the playfield from wearing further, and level out all your cupped or sunken inserts.

Or just wax it and put Mylar over all the wear spots to keep them from getting worse.

#522 5 years ago
Quoted from madmatt1:

JAYTREM: my wear on the PF is not really that bad. A little on the main orange and yellow stripes and a little on the cycle jump. But the worst is the top of the PF (around the 1986 inserts) and the shooting lane.

See below pictures:

Your playfield is blown out already (tons of planking), so you can just wax and play it without worry that you are damaging a restorable playfield

Clean all that rust off you ramp flap(s), cause that kills your balls fast.

#524 5 years ago
Quoted from madmatt1:

Already Vid1900, should I put some mylar down around the "1986" and the shooting lane? Or will this just cause more problems?

You could put a strip across it.

Although, because the lettering is already worn to the wood, any restorer would re-decal the entire phrase - so it's not a big worry if it wears a little more.

Quoted from madmatt1:

I will clean all the rust off and repaint.

They were "gun blued" originally, because paint won't stick.

You can clean and wax them and it will take many years to rust again

Or if you have a gun nut friend, they can re-blue them for you.

Or you can just buy new ones.

#525 5 years ago
Quoted from madmatt1:

Second, I need a list of LEDs to buy for the machine. I know one of you wonderful people has done it; i've seen it. If someone would like to direct me to that thread, that would be great.

You need 36 of simple WarmWhite # 44 bulbs for white and amber inserts (so just get two 25 packs so you have spares):

https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/led.htm

You 14 of the simple Red # 44 bulbs (get one 25 pack):

You need 6 of the Green # 44 bulbs:

You need 36 for the GI playfield in WW or Natural White (two 25 packs?):

https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd.htm

You need 3 Red "bendies" in # 44 base (to light the top rollover and saucers):

https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smdflex.htm

I'd strongly suggest you get 5 of the frosted LED strips in WW or NW (although not needed, you will want):

https://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-10-SMD-5050-6-3V-LIGHTED-STRIPS-p/10smd6.3vstrip.htm

Leave the backbox in all #47 incandescent bulbs, no LED yet made can preserve the yellow tones. If you try to put Blue LEDs behind the COMET letters, you will be castrated & kicked out of the Comet Club forever.

#527 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Note: these are wedge and I don't see any bayonet with the outer lighting.

I just put some of these in mine...

https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-classic-pop-bumper-lighting-for-bayonet-sockets.html

Cheaper from Comet, and they have Wedge or Bayonet:

https://www.cometpinball.com/Pinball-Pop-Bumper-LED-Light-p/11smdbmpdisc.htm

If you know how to solder, it's best to flip them so the bright lights face the playfield, and you can skip the socket altogether.

#529 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Looks like no bayonet rings from Comet either. I think I might just replace the sockets so that I can go with the rings at some point.

You can put any base on them you want.

If you order the LED strips from Comet, it will come with both 555 and 44 bases, so you can just use those 44 bayonet bases with the Rings.

But because pop bumpers are such a high vibration location, it's usually better to just skip the sockets altogether, and use wire leads directly to the underside of the playfield. No flickering lights that way!

#540 5 years ago
Quoted from madmatt1:

2# I'm guessing I should go with the warm white instend of the Natural white to give it that older look and feel

The natural white is pretty sweet.

Maybe get a bag of them and see if that becomes your fav

Quoted from madmatt1:

3# For the GI lights, should I do clear top or frosted top?

They come clear (you'll see in the link), but I sand them with 120 so they don't make the 2 shadows on my plastics.

Quoted from madmatt1:

4# The frosted LED strips sound like a great idea, but were would you suggest placing them?

One goes under the metal strip above the Rabbits

2 go behind the ducks

2 go under comet ramp

1 goes under cycle ramp

They all are out of direct vision of the player. You might find other hiding places for them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet/page/2#post-4483968

#541 5 years ago
297a762161bff1eb5318ae6d4d9596722da96bde (resized).jpg297a762161bff1eb5318ae6d4d9596722da96bde (resized).jpg
#546 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Mine didn't have this piece and I didn't even know about it. I just grabbed one off of ebay and will definitely be adding a light strip there also looks perfect for it.

It's good you got that piece, otherwise balls wedge under the ramp and crack the plastic

#547 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Hey just wanted to know how many of you guys out there have this Ramp Protector on your machine?

That's a pretty popular protector, you sometimes see it on SS too.

It's way better than the tiny metal strip that originality came with Comet, just make sure that the ball does not hit the screw heads; they should be flush.

#558 5 years ago
Quoted from Nyraiderfan:

can't believe I can't put in the initials

We used to just carve them into the side of the head.

#559 5 years ago
Quoted from TooFiddyMan:

I have a Comet that I have fixed up but I am still needing 3 displays. I haven't been able to find any repro stuff that matches up. If I am correct, it sounds like they switched the board at one point and I have the one that Rotten Dog doesn't make. Does anybody out there have any extra ones or any idea where to find some new or used?

There were 2 master display boards that are different.

The displays themselves are the same.

I probably have both master boards, I'd have to look.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/10#post-4619423

2 weeks later
#576 5 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

I have a question for you boys/fans of Comet..I replaced the rubbers some time ago, and every so often it scores 100 points..sometimes when I hit either flipper, sometimes just on its own! It makes a sound similar to when you 1st hit the dummy..a ‘wha wha’ kinda sound..so what scores 100? I’ve looked at the slingshot, as well as the dummy, and all gaps appear fine and clean..I appreciate your time/thoughts on this..

Go into Switch Test

Use your fist to bang around on the playfield and see if that triggers the switch

The display will tell you what switch just triggered.

It's **probably** the target behind the Dummy, but a flaky diode could mask as another.

-

If banging won't do it, then manually trigger each switch, and then check the display for each - making sure that the Switch# matches the number in the manual.

2 weeks later
#584 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

. Vid I know you did that hardtop overlay on your machine maybe you can weigh in here if you had any to replace? Thks

Wireforms break occasionally.

They still make new ones, and even if they did not, you can just bend new ones from the same gauge piano wire

Also, I'll admit that I've used a Bally wireform in a Williams game - got to keep them earning....

#595 5 years ago

Just stop at your local AIN plastics and find a green scrap in the barrels.

Those always break.

#597 5 years ago

Any plastic joint will have a scrap barrel @ $1 a pound.

1/8 or 3/16" is doable.

1 year later
#1016 3 years ago
Quoted from byurick:

I just came across a youtube video about a system 11, 9, and 7 flaw that can start a fire. He shows how to add extra fuses to stop it from happening. Is this mod necessary on a Comet?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-945742

#1020 3 years ago
Quoted from Bluebeard:

Has anyone else used the ramp without the metal plate?

The ramp will crack without the metal plate.

If it fit together before you took it apart, then you must have put something together wrong (did you forget the washers on top of the posts, under the ramp at the back ?)

The new repro ramps will probably have a thin metal flap, that will give a smoother transition than the metal threshold on the OEM ramp - stay tuned

#1027 3 years ago

Metal on top
kkkk (resized).jpgkkkk (resized).jpg

IMG_6729 (resized).jpgIMG_6729 (resized).jpg
#1029 3 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Is Freeplay40 making these or someone else?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reveal yet.

#1031 3 years ago
Quoted from byurick:

No metal on my ramp, guess the previous owner removed it for some reason. Anyone know if you can buy it separately? No luck finding it so far.

I think it's the same metal as Space Shuttle, and there should be lots of those around since the repro ramps don't need it.

I have a few of those pieces, but I'm out of the country right now.

#1033 3 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

If anyone sees this and knows what could be causing F2 to blow over and over again, please advise!

Could be a cracked diode on one of the coils.

Run the coil test and see which one of them kills the fuse

Tug on each diode hard and see if any fall apart.

Make sure you are using a 2.5a fuse (check my math in the manual, but I think that's right)

#1034 3 years ago

When you are killing boxes of fuses during diags, use a 2a breaker soldered to a blown fuse. Saves you $$$$$$

Circuit-Breaker (resized).jpgCircuit-Breaker (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1051 3 years ago

Do the "game over" lights flash rapidly?

1 week later
#1060 3 years ago

Is it getting hung up on the wrong size screw head, or....

Pics needed of when it's stuck

#1062 3 years ago

^ In pic #2 it looks like you need to square up all your bracket bends, back to 90 degrees; especially the left upright in that pic.

Nothing should be able to rub against the bracket or switch lever arm, when pushed to either side.

Also, is the switch lever arm exiting in the center of the switch blade? Otherwise the angle will be wrong.

IMG_20201230_150743 (resized).jpgIMG_20201230_150743 (resized).jpg
#1063 3 years ago

Comet owners, don't forget that today is your last day to get a new set of plastics from CPR for only $119

Use coupon code PLASTICS2020

This was out of stock for MANY years

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/comet/

plas-comt (resized).jpgplas-comt (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1078 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Do you have a link to these? My corkscrew is in fantastic shape, but the cycle jump plastic part is glued together (albeit very nicely)

Highly recommended

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps

1 week later
#1086 3 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:I’m guessing that tab is there.

If the target is down, and the coil fires but does not bring it up - the tab is missing

#1088 3 years ago

The coil does not fire during gameplay, only if I ground the Q48 transistor. The drop target resets fine and stays up if I ground the transistor manually. It’s like the machine is not communicating with the coil to reset it during a game. It does not fire when game is turned on or when a game is started.

If it does not fire when the game is turned on (or in Coil Test) then the transistor is probably fried open.

Grounding the transistor tab shows that the WIRING itself is good, so you have eliminated that.

If you want a shotgun fix, replace the Q48 transistor (tp102) and the Q44 pre transistor next to it (2n4401)

#1091 3 years ago

Yep, that machine needs a full upgrade and rebuild

1 week later
#1110 3 years ago

I think I'm going to try taking a page out of jason43's book and fabricate a paper-clip replacement.

Don't use a paperclip to make gates, use piano wire because it springs rather than deforms from use

Marco, Pinrestore, PBR, everyone sells short lengths of it

#1118 3 years ago

When a switch finally breaks, it either fails in the OFF or ON position.

Yours failed ON

Time for a new switch

#1120 3 years ago

I thought, and hoped, this simple solution was the correct answer...but I was worried that in some sort of n00b stupidity, there was something else that could have gone wrong, that I just didn't know about.

If you want to **know**, check the switch with your meter.

If it beeps in both the ON and OFF positions, you know it has failed with the contacts closed.

#1122 3 years ago

Higher amperage is good (if you are only drawing 4 amps and your switch is rated for 20 amps, the switch will last forever)

Higher voltage is good (same thing, if switch is rated for 240vac and you are using it on a 120v circuit, that's great)

Many toggle switches are made for automotive use and are only rated for 36vdc, so dont use those by accident

#1123 3 years ago

EDIT: ...so it actually only beeps in one direction. Which means the switch...should work? Now I'm confused.

Unsolder the switch and test it out of the circuit

Unplug the game before you do this.....

2 weeks later
1 month later
#1155 3 years ago

Good point about the Million sticker. Just realized I don't have this sticker, but will pick one up as I'll need to cover the screw heads.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/8#post-4457374

1 week later
#1167 3 years ago

About once a month someone emails me as to what flipper mech to completely replace and modernize their hacked-up Comet mechs with.

Remember, you need a left and right baseplate! Otherwise, use this configuration:

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williamsbally-machines-from-021992-to-101998.html
comet-flipper (resized).jpgcomet-flipper (resized).jpg

Wait, what, why? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#1169 3 years ago

Anyone else ever seen a Comet with that post?

Hell no.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Had I ever seen that, I'd pull the post and plug the hole.

1 month later
#1183 2 years ago
Comet-ENH-Frame (resized).JPGComet-ENH-Frame (resized).JPG
1 week later
#1188 2 years ago
Quoted from Aznorthbend:

My drop target for dummy tank (Comet)was decapitated. anybody know where to find one or a good fix? I tried to glue but it doesn't seem like it will last one hit. Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

OOS at the moment from Marco:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7773-4

You can modify one from Pinball Mods:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translucent-drop-targets-from-pinball-mods-vid-s-review

#1191 2 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Does anyone happen to know the part number off the original slingshot? I ordered 2 new ones from Marco and the ones they sent are not the same. You can see the the leg that activates the switch is much longer on the original. It is too short to activate that switch on the new replacement ones. Figured i'd try pinball resource but we all know if you don't have a part number you get screamed at. The original is the one on the right in the pic.
[quoted image]

Looks like you bought A-12664

You probably wanted A-7986

2 weeks later
#1200 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Anyone have any idea what's happening with these resistors? My game was having some weird behavior with displays and solenoids going out sporadically. I opened it up to take a look and immediately noticed chalky residue laying inside. Not sure if these are the cause, but giving them a tap seemed to replicate the issue. I know they'll need to be replaced, but I've never seen this before.
[quoted image]

Thats how they make them.

Inside the ceramic jacket, there is a coil of wire.

Then they fill the jacket with cement

They get super hot, so don't touch them if the game has been on.

Yours are probably fine, you can check them with a ohm meter if you want.

51A0Q5A-lPL._SL1100_ (resized).jpg51A0Q5A-lPL._SL1100_ (resized).jpgresistor-ceramic-structure_full (resized).jpgresistor-ceramic-structure_full (resized).jpg

#1203 2 years ago

Did you put the lock washers under the ramp instead of on top of it?

#1211 2 years ago

I'll mess around with it tomorrow and see if I can come up with something to get it working as well as before the change (unless anyone else has any advice) or if I did actually install it incorrectly.

Maybe you got it with the wrong posts installed by a previous owner?

Swap the posts with shorter ones, or cut/grind the existing ones down

I don't have a comet here, but I'm sure someone can measure the proper height for you

2 weeks later
#1224 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Anyone know where I can get a new cork screw ramp?

Freeplay40 makes all the Comet ramps.

Much better than OEM quality, I use them myself

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/23#post-6202533

#1231 2 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Wondering if i can get some help figuring out what male and female pins goes in the connector. Trying to repair but not sure what to order.

Page 26 in the manual has the replacement pin info

#1236 2 years ago
Quoted from Comet_20:

The screw for this post will not tighten because the wood is striped out under it. My question is can i replace this wood screw with a stud that threads into a T-nut like what is use for the lanes at the top of the paly field. or the ones around the kicker? or is there a better solution?[quoted image]

You can t-nut it, but then you can't adjust the outlane to make it more difficult as your skills increase

Or you can just dip a shish-k-bob skewer in white glue, and tap it into the hole. Snip flush to the playfield with wire cutters, and put the post back in; you don't even have to wait for the glue to dry

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-fixing-stripped-screw-holes-in-wood

1 week later
#1245 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Are the 1 and 6 lights tied together?

Not supposed to be.

Take the ball out and go into Switch Test,

Make sure 1 and 6 are reporting back the proper Switch #s

3 weeks later
#1253 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Now I am looking for the balls gate assembly of the wire for the left outlane. Seems it’s out of stock and discontinued. There is a paper clip in its place, it works but would like to get the proper part.

Just bend a new one from Piano Wire

It's stiff and springy, so it won't deform like a paper clip does.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts-blog/custom-fabricate-your-own-wire-gates-and-wire-forms/

1 week later
#1255 2 years ago
Quoted from RazorV23:

My cycle jump outhole is not ejecting ball back into play. I know the switch works cause it makes the proper sound when the ball enters the outhole. If I gound the coil at the mpu connection, the ball ejects so I believe the coil and wiring is good so it must be a board issue. I’m not sure what to look for, any help is appreciated.

Run the Solenoid Test.

If it doesn't fire, it's probably the driver transistor, and the pre-driver transistor : always replace both at the same time

#1260 2 years ago
Quoted from Dan986:

I put together this back panel mod of Riverview amusement park graphics that I think really adds to the look of the pin. It is 90% done.

I like how it has a very Persian look to it.

#1269 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

My Comet is now mostly restored. One issue remains, the #1 and #6 seem to be tied together as one lights up the other. The wiring appears correct. During switch test the lanes only trigger each switch not both. Is there perhaps something in the settings that I am missing?

Does the LaneChange move them correctly?

4 weeks later
#1287 2 years ago

Plug the hole with a hardwood dowel

3 weeks later
#1300 2 years ago

There are a bunch of 1/2 teardown pics here that show most post locations:

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/comet/gallery/shopout

1 week later
#1310 2 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

A number if people have had ghosting problems with Comets combined with Pinscores, so I would avoid those. I would be one of those people, don't ever recall anybody coming up with a fix.

Did they change the design recently ?

I've got Pinscores in Comet, Sorcerer and Space Shuttle and they don't flicker that I can see.

#1315 2 years ago

The million digit flashes at the end of the game if you scored the 1 million point shot on the 3rd ball.

It does not flash if you go over a million without that big bonus.

I'll have to pay attention next time I play....and see what version of the ROM I have installed.

#1317 2 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

The pic below is what I mean by ghosting. Since it's on ball 0 a 0 shows up in the million spot on player one. Not as bright as the "real" numbers though.
[quoted image]

I see.

Yeah, that's nothing I've seen myself.

Does it happen if you put the board into a Spaceshuttle or Star Light?

2 weeks later
#1332 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

My stationary switch bracket for the target behind the dunk the dummy broke. I am looking for a replacement for the stationary switch bracket or the assembly. I can’t seem to find the correct one anyone have the correct part number and where to purchase it?

It's just a standard rear mount Stand Up Target, nothing special

You can get them at PBR or PL

http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-round-stand-up-targets-rear-mounting.html

PBR has all the target faces, so if yours is cracked, you can get a new bullseye there too

wll-a11317-3 (resized).jpgwll-a11317-3 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#1342 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_The_Jedi:

Hi everyone, I'm looking for the gate and the wire form Williams part number: A-10789. It's the gate and the wire that prevent the ball from going back into the plunger after it's done through the Comet ramp. Marco doesn't have any in stock with wondering if somebody might have an extra laying around. Thanks. And I thought this thing was complete
[quoted image]

Easy enough to bend from a strip of stainless.

Use the gate from the exit of the cycle jump as your guide.

1 month later
#1360 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnsarcade:

I,m also missing 1 of the spacers for mounting top of ramp ,Where can i find This spacer (Not Sure what to call it ) Thank You

Those are called 6-32 Round Standoffs

If you need a tough to find size, order a longer one, and just trim it off with a fine tooth hacksaw blade

...or connect 2 smaller ones together.

Often it's best to get them without the male threads sticking off the end, that way you can join them in more ways.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=6-32+round+standoff

633136__66498.1586989303 (resized).jpg633136__66498.1586989303 (resized).jpg
#1362 2 years ago

You are just removing a small enough amount of wood to allow a smooth transition up the ramp.

Don't trim the plastic ramp, cuz if you make it thinner, it will be all the more likely to crack like the old one did

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-repo-ramp-modification-guide

2 weeks later
#1373 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Need a little help folks. I'm popping a solenoid fuse when I power up my Comet.

Unplug the solenoid plugs from the mpu board (don't quote me but J11, J12, J19 from memory) turn on game and see if anything blows

If not, turn off all the lights in the room and watch as you plug one of the connectors in. There will be a small arc/spark on the pin of the shorted one

Solder a fuse breaker from a blown fuse, so you dont keep wasting fuses

ikjndex (resized).jpgikjndex (resized).jpg
#1381 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Thanks Vid, I do have circuit breakers. I'll try isolating and go from there. The fuse is popping when I initially turn the game on, before I try to start a game.

It could be a dead short, or it could be a saucer kickout that activates the moment the game boots up

1 week later
#1384 2 years ago
Quoted from Calebmil:

as well as worn out solenoids to replace so the game plays as expected.

The Solenoid coils never wear out

As long as they are not burnt or swollen, keep em

#1388 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Removed it out of circuit and replaced fuse, power on. The fuse didn’t pop right a way, but have after about 10 seconds, burnt out again. Any thoughts or ideas?

Check the two kick outs, fun house and cycle jump

Both trigger as soon as the game boots up

1 week later
#1398 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Thanks looks like my manual is missing some pages.
Under the apron, there were pieces of a broken wireform hanging off the ball guides along the trough. It has a hole drilled on each side, looks factory. It's not listed in the manual though.

Just bend a new one from Piano Wire, it does not have to be exact. Make a spare and put it in the coin bin.

F-14 eats so many wire gates up top, I always make a dozen of each while I have the jig out. Every f14 service call needs one or the other....

#1402 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Still looking for some advice in bringing back a Comet. Please see my post above.

Do you have a volt meter......?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-properly-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-vids-guide

#1404 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Yes and checked all solenoids and fuses. All are in range (exempt for the f2 fuse that continues to blow). Displays don’t come on at power on. Only the playing field lights and black lights.

So game boots up, plays the "AHHHHHHHHHH!" sound, and enters the playfield light show attract mode?

#1406 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

No, nothing. Just blows the fuse. Lights do stay on though

When you say lights, you mean just the General Illumination?

So no blinking, CPU controlled lights at all?

#1408 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Yes exactly. No blinking lights

So your first problem is that your CPU is not booting up.

Give some close up pics (especially around the battery holder)

Do you have 5v on the CPU?

#1412 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

I’m sure I have many issue but found to solenoid is blowing the fuse. When I test the solenoid in circuit, the Q81 transistor causes the fuse to blow. Guessing replacing the transistor will solve this issue?

There is the little pre driver transistor next to it that has to go too

But if the game does not boot, a driver transistor is the least of our worries

#1414 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

So any suggestions or hope?

Get your meter out

Set it to Volts DC

Find the Test Points on the CPU or the connector (IJ17) where the voltage comes in and make sure you have 5vdc

If not, then go to the power supply board and see if you have 5vdc working there

2 weeks later
1 month later
#1447 1 year ago
Quoted from Philly76:

Anyone know the part number for the lamp bayonet base inside the pop bumpers? Mine are oxidized and not making a good connection. A friend told me there's a brush tool that can clean these up? Idk

If you have a Dremel, there is this bit that came with your kit, that can clean out those oxidized sockets (metal brushes can leave behind bristles that short out the lamp )
Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 00-32-35 dremel bits - Google Search (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-05-13 at 00-32-35 dremel bits - Google Search (resized).png

But ...I'd just skip the crappy socket altogether and put in a LED disc:

33f5c97738c1fee2c6ca76a81e7c5e54a43c2c7b (resized).jpg33f5c97738c1fee2c6ca76a81e7c5e54a43c2c7b (resized).jpg

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet#post-4470189

#1448 1 year ago

The LED discs light up the pop pen excellently

77bd8b32f3b85604f798e607fe2c978364b4b1d0 (resized).jpg77bd8b32f3b85604f798e607fe2c978364b4b1d0 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1462 1 year ago

See if PBR secretly has the caps

3 weeks later
#1485 1 year ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Having issues with the backlights on a Comet Pin. The “coaster Car” is not lighting up. Can someone help me trace this issue?

I think the car circuit gets it's power from the wires right in front of the relay cube on the back of the lamp board

Check if those are getting power

The eyes of the car are separate

#1488 1 year ago

I'm circling back on Comet I have a couple of minor issues I got a tackle but now the Billy ball eject keeps firing. Not sure why it's doing that unless perhaps the diode has failed but everything tested fine.

Put a piece of paper between the switch contacts and see if he is still firing.

Bend the tabs on the ass of the switch further apart, examine carefully for solder splash flake

Could be flaky pre-driver or driver transistor

1 week later
#1503 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

What is the proper set of legs for a Comet?
chrome single-rib?
dark grey no rib?
Or are there a few options?
-mof

Chrome

COMET+FLYER (resized).jpgCOMET+FLYER (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1564 1 year ago

. I've cleaned all the solder that I can and I even heated it up to try to pull it off but damn if this thing won't move
[quoted image]

Put some flux on both sides of that connector, heat with soldering iron

It will pull right off

2 months later
#1598 1 year ago

Like Surf said, take the ball out, run the Switch Test

2 months later
#1625 1 year ago

Probably corrosion on the circuit board with the batteries

Especially on the backside

Post some well lit, focused pictures of the holder and surrounding board

#1627 1 year ago

If you have a meter, you can check if the batteries are good (I see Costco brand, could be bad right out of the pack), and you can check if the voltage is making it's way to the memory chip next to the ROM (with the power off)

#1630 1 year ago

The corrosion will continue until it reaches the circuit board.

Clean it with toilet bowl cleaner, or just snip the entire holder off the board

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stripping-battery-corrosion-with-a-strong-acid

#1633 1 year ago
Quoted from astevens:

Hi, everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has a photo of the original duck and rabbit drop target artwork in good color condition. I

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/8#post-4457374

#1635 1 year ago

Even the faded ones in your game could have been replacements after 4 decades.

If you ever find unused original decals in a manual, they are never sticky and the black looks purplish

2 months later
#1668 1 year ago
Quoted from ShuntyMcShunt:

Hey everyone! Still looking for this metal ramp entrance piece as pictured in my post. stupid piece seems impossible to find.

The Space Shuttle games originally had 2 of these per game.

The modern replacement ramps come with conventional ramp-flaps.

So anyone who's restored their SS, should have some spares for you....
Shuttle-Inst-002.jpgShuttle-Inst-002.jpg

4 months later
#1692 7 months ago
Quoted from TheHouseHack:

Hi. I have decided to fix up some of the little things on my Comet. The entry area to the Comet ramp had been "fixed" with the wrong parts. I need the two posts, the rubber sleeves, and the two screws. The rubbers are listed in the manual, but I can not seem to find which posts (and screws) I need. It would be appreciated if someone could identify them with a part number. I have attached a picture, after removing the incorrect parts for clarity.
Thanks
[quoted image]

Although they don't make the exact post any longer, get 2 of these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/2-14-tall-metal-post-with-threaded-base-and-female-threaded-top.html

And get 3 of these post sleeves:

https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-1-116-willamsbally-compatible-rubber-post-sleeve.html

Get some 6-32 locking screws, you need them all the time in pinball

https://www.pinballlife.com/6-32-x-14-pan-screw-with-locking-washer.html

1 week later
#1716 7 months ago
Quoted from interconnect:

Anyone know if there's anywhere that sells the slingshot arms? Marco and Action are out of stock. Mine are worn pretty bad. I'm doing a rebuild of them and cleaning and replacing all the components; plunger and link, mounting bracket, spring, coil sleeve, etc. I think the arm at the pivot joint is worn so looking to replace it but can't find them anywhere. Thanks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet/page/2#post-4484021

#1718 7 months ago
Quoted from interconnect:

Awesome, thanks Vid. So the arm mentioned above should work?
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-bumper-crank-assembly.html
Also, I already bought these links plunger and links from Marco:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-5103
And this base/mounting bracket:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17810
Should work eh? Both based off of original part number.

No, that arm is the wrong one.

If you use it, it will physically work... but not score.

You need to find one with the longer "Scoring Lever", or reuse your old arm until they are available again.

1 week later
#1723 6 months ago
Quoted from TheHouseHack:

Lane change has not worked on my machine as long as I have had it. I finally decided to look at it today. I do not want to admit how long it took me to figure out what the very obvious problem with it is.

My question is; how is it supposed to be wired? Is there anything else missing, like a resistor? I can not work it out from the manual.

You need a lane change switch, and a diode.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williams-lane-change-switch.html
Pinside_archive_106_1308076 (resized).jpgPinside_archive_106_1308076 (resized).jpg

The white/blue stripe wires and the non-banded side of the diode (1n4004), go to the tab that does not connect to the blades.

The banded side of the diode goes to the outside blade

The green/yellow stripe wires go to the inside blade

elsw-0041 (resized).jpgelsw-0041 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1735 6 months ago
Quoted from snextime:

I am looking for the "First ever 1 million pinball shot" sticker. If anybody has one for sale or can make me one please message me.
[quoted image]

Print on Avery permanent sticker paper, cover in Mylar

Pinside_forum_2059298_444692 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_2059298_444692 (resized).jpg
#1737 6 months ago

I wonder who screwed up the formatting on the text??

It's like all the text drifted up to the top of the frame...

#1744 6 months ago
Quoted from cooperscooter:

Hey everyone! I'm restoring two Comet machines - one to keep (which is done) and one to sell (which is 90% there). What I am looking for is the metal ball defense bracket that mounts OVER the Shooting Gallery. I have one, but need a second one to make both machines complete. I cannot for the life of me determine this part's actual name or part number. And, I am sure I could make one if I had a line on that kind of piece of metal - would be easy to shape. Does anyone have an extra one of these parts, or know where I can get one, or know of anyone selling the kind of metal used so I can fabricate one? Thanks!
[quoted image]

It's a strip of stainless steel, and would be easy to bend a replica.

Maybe someone here can measure the gauge of it for you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.