• 2,247 posts
  • 309 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by slizzap
  • Topic is favorited by 182 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_imageSection	Item	Description	Factory Setting	Value A.1 Standard Adjustments	34	Allow Chase Ball	YES	YES (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1492 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5572 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5549 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5563 (resized).jpeg
DSC00938 (resized).JPG
IMG_0563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 45.
#2051 8 months ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

If your referring to the transparent holes on the back of the translight, the same spots are etched on the backglass to a much greater effect. It looks really good.

Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you. From the pic, I couldn't tell if it was still clear in the cutout areas as on the original. It's one of my favorite backglasses because of the way you can see the bulbs. Same on dirty harry with the bullet holes.
It looks like the pic posted by PPS shows a piece of cardboard behind it so that's the color you see thru the clear part. I was hoping they might answer or show a pic where you could see that better.

#2052 8 months ago
Quoted from MNPinner:

I will be picking up an AFMR LE tomorrow. Any suggesting any mods that might add to the game? Are there any target decals out there?

The “Eat at Eddy’s” or similar building vuk mod is the biggest no brainer mod for this one. Really completes the game and I’m not a huge mod guy.

#2053 8 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

From Williams. I uncrated the one I had when it was new. All the way up.
LTG : )

Are you saying stock AFM had both outlanes fully open?!!

I watched promo video but too blurry to make out outlanes!

#2054 8 months ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Are you saying stock AFM had both outlanes fully open?!!

Mine did back when it was new and I uncrated it.

#2055 8 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Mine did back when it was new and I uncrated it.

Wow, that makes it way tougher!

#2056 8 months ago
Quoted from hawkfanz:

The “Eat at Eddy’s” or similar building vuk mod is the biggest no brainer mod for this one. Really completes the game and I’m not a huge mod guy.

Can you get the building again? I thought that was long discontinued.

#2057 8 months ago
Quoted from jcar302:

I got mine a year or so ago from Mezels. https://mezelmods.com/products/attack-from-mars-pinball-eat-at-eddys-building

Looks like they are currently out of stock.

And I agree with hawkfanz - best mod for AFM and the only one I have on my game other than mirror blades.

#2058 8 months ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wow, that makes it way tougher!

Still saw a tournament player put up a 74 billion on it.

#2059 8 months ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Sorry, I didn’t realize it’s not being sold anymore. I bought mine a few years ago. Probably a lot less demand with no more AFMr machines being produced.

#2060 8 months ago

It's often been requested and I finally got to it -- Rocket City Pinball presents the 3D Start Button for Attack From Mars!

I looked to the playfield for inspiration and the hexagon pattern between the flippers caught my eye -- it's one of those details I'll bet a lot of people overlook in the heat of interplanetary warfare! I made the button base in translucent tangerine to match the color there, and I added the hexagons in translucent red so they'd light up as well. Then I have three-color lettering, inspired by the style of the AFM font, spelling out START. So it's a five-color print, all permanently fused together.

AFM_thread (resized).jpgAFM_thread (resized).jpg

The hexagons had the potential to be sharp at the perimeter of the button, but I've modeled in some curvature there for a smoother touch.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I also include a full housing assembly, because it's a 1.5" diameter button (like modern games). On prior era games like AFM (and its remake, which was styled true to the original), the start button was small and recessed in a counterbore in the cabinet. The included housing assembly fully replaces this smaller button and covers up the counterbore.

I don't have a pic on an actual machine yet since I just finished the button this week, so I whipped up this photoshop for a rough look. The colors match the cabinet art perfectly and the design pulls in a nice subtle detail from the game. (I do plan to produce a launch button in the future; it's on my long-term to do list.)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Fits both the original and the remake. Now available in my shop! https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/09091-3d-start-button-attack-from-mars-original-amp-remake

#2061 8 months ago
Quoted from RickyBobby1:I got mine a year or so ago from Mezels. https://mezelmods.com/products/attack-from-mars-pinball-eat-at-eddys-building
And I agree with hawkfanz - best mod for AFM and the only one I have on my game other than mirror blades.

Generally i think mods are silly.
But that building really does serve a point and so do mirror blades (mirror blades are normally the only thing i buy).
Somehow even after the building was stopped being sold i found one.

1 week later
#2062 8 months ago

Just got our AFM yesterday and we played about 20 games that were great. After a few games today AFM started launching all of the balls at Start. The coil fires all 4 balls into the shooter lane and then fires a few more times and then the rest of the game basically plays like a continuous multiball.

In test, the trough optos register all 4 balls and the shooter lane switch registers a ball in the lane. The coil measures 14.5 Ohms which seems to be in range. I’ve reseated all of the connectors under the playfield and in the back box. What else should I check? Thank you

#2063 8 months ago
Quoted from BoilerUp:

Just got our AFM yesterday and we played about 20 games that were great. After a few games today AFM started launching all of the balls at Start. The coil fires all 4 balls into the shooter lane and then fires a few more times and then the rest of the game basically plays like a continuous multiball.
In test, the trough optos register all 4 balls and the shooter lane switch registers a ball in the lane. The coil measures 14.5 Ohms which seems to be in range. I’ve reseated all of the connectors under the playfield and in the back box. What else should I check? Thank you

Sounds like 12 volt issue to me. Measure at the 12volt test point on the PDB. Also might be the capacitor on the opto board. Those tend to leak and cause issues.

#2064 8 months ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Mr_Tantrum makes them. Pm him and he will take care of you.

#2065 8 months ago

ebay.com link: itm

Brian Allen’s alternate translite.
Saw this on eBay today. With shipping about $35 savings from buying it new. Already have one and it is phenomenal art work.

#2066 8 months ago
Quoted from BoilerUp:

Ok. So I’ve done some trouble shooting and haven’t found the issue yet with the balls continuously ejecting into the shooter lane. Here’s what I’ve tested so far:
1. Switch matrix test shows column 3 is closed all the way down to right popper (31-37)
2. Got error message that Opto trough bad and have replaced.
3. Have continuity from Opto trough connectors to Opto board and from Opto board to J206, J208 and J140 (12v connector)
4. Checked voltage at power driver test points -11.99v at 12v regulated and about 15 at 12V unreg.
5. Capacitors appear to be intact. No signs of leakage.
-I have not checked voltage at Opto board as I’m not sure how to. Where do I put the black lead from the meter and red probe to 12v wire in Opto board connector at J3? I’m still learning boards and electrical.
-May be related or not, but in attract mode GI lights dim and flicker at the point that all of the controlled lights kick on. The GI lights are bright while controlled lights scroll up through the inserts but dim when all inserts turn on and flash at the same time. Due to larger power draw or indicative of an issue?

Pictures are of the error message and the switch matrix test. Thank you for any suggestions.

IMG_6706 (resized).jpegIMG_6706 (resized).jpegIMG_6708 (resized).jpegIMG_6708 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2067 8 months ago
Quoted from BoilerUp:

Ok. So I’ve done some trouble shooting and haven’t found the issue yet with the balls continuously ejecting into the shooter lane. Here’s what I’ve tested so far:

Sorry you are having trouble but you should be able to sort it out.

Its backwards but optos are off in the switch matrix if they are blocked but your test shows the game doesn't detect any balls in the trought so the game is confused. All the grey boxes on your switch matrix should only show up if they are not blocked so your 4 balls in the trough should not show .

Here is a pic of what your test should look like.

Two things would help nail this down is to:

1. put a ball in the left and right popper and take a picture. If the opto board/circuit is out the test wont change but those switches should go out.

2. test if the top left lane (switch 38) works in switch test since it is in the same column. It could be a broken wire. so if that is out look for where the green orange wire is broken.

Of hand I cant remember if there is a fuse for that but check them also.

let us know what you find out.

Kenny

IMG_9149 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_9149 (1) (resized).JPG
#2068 8 months ago
Quoted from KJL:

Sorry you are having trouble but you should be able to sort it out.
Its backwards but optos are off in the switch matrix if they are blocked but your test shows the game doesn't detect any balls in the trought so the game is confused. All the grey boxes on your switch matrix should only show up if they are not blocked so your 4 balls in the trough should not show .
Here is a pic of what your test should look like.
Two things would help nail this down is to:
1. put a ball in the left and right popper and take a picture. If the opto board/circuit is out the test wont change but those switches should go out.
2. test if the top left lane (switch 38) works in switch test since it is in the same column. It could be a broken wire. so if that is out look for where the green orange wire is broken.
Of hand I cant remember if there is a fuse for that but check them also.
let us know what you find out.
Kenny
[quoted image]

Thank you KJL and dddanielll for your help!

AFM is working now. Although I’m not sure why. After I posted last night and turned the game off, I showed my son how to check continuity. We went through all the wires Opto board J3 and traced them back to the backbox. This morning I turned the game on and went directly to test to check the poppers. Both show on the matrix, by the way, as do the balls when they are in the trough (they weren’t when I took the matrix test picture). After the matrix test I backed out of the menus and hit start. Lo and behold only one ball loaded and the game played as it should.

I’ve played several games and shut the machine down several times today and the all balls ejecting issue has not shown up again. The only thing I can think is that we reseated a wire/connector that was loose or something is on the fritz and will rear it’s ugly head again. For now I don’t seem to have anything to troubleshoot?

Thank you again! If there is something else I should look at or replace, I’m all ears.

1 week later
#2069 8 months ago

Okay, I have had a few folks asking if we are going to have another holiday sale…

Well, here it is, starting Friday, buy 3 Martians, with or without LED lighted eyes, get one free…I am also offering a discount on the red oscillation discs, (circuit board design), which are really cool on any machine, and not just a fancy LED type bulb. I wish I had more videos to show besides on my own Scared Stiff…. Please take a look at my web site to see…If there is any single bulb location these can be put in place, many available power options.

Thank you all for the continuing support, and funny, that a few folks have commented that even their wives really like the larger, Big O Jiggly Martians too, when playing. A good playfield option to get others to watch and enjoy, as when playing, hard for the player to enjoy everything at the same time.

If there have been any concerns about the robustness of our product, these have been on many machines for a few years…I even put one on a friend’s convertible, stubby antenna location outside, to drive around with….” he/she”, not sure how to check Martins, gender, and is holding up quite well…for more than two years now. Their jiggly arms will not fall off, and will always be the best looking Big O Jiggly Martian’s on the playfield for sure,…. Discount will be applied at checkout.

Thank you,

Mick

https://www.mickspinball.com/

The picture shown is without the LED's, my website shows all versions.

BOJ Noleds1 (resized).jpgBOJ Noleds1 (resized).jpg
#2070 7 months ago
Quoted from TheMickster:

Okay, I have had a few folks asking if we are going to have another holiday sale…
Well, here it is, starting Friday, buy 3 Martians, with or without LED lighted eyes, get one free…I am also offering a discount on the red oscillation discs, (circuit board design), which are really cool on any machine, and not just a fancy LED type bulb. I wish I had more videos to show besides on my own Scared Stiff…. Please take a look at my web site to see…If there is any single bulb location these can be put in place, many available power options.
Thank you all for the continuing support, and funny, that a few folks have commented that even their wives really like the larger, Big O Jiggly Martians too, when playing. A good playfield option to get others to watch and enjoy, as when playing, hard for the player to enjoy everything at the same time.
If there have been any concerns about the robustness of our product, these have been on many machines for a few years…I even put one on a friend’s convertible, stubby antenna location outside, to drive around with….” he/she”, not sure how to check Martins, gender, and is holding up quite well…for more than two years now. Their jiggly arms will not fall off, and will always be the best looking Big O Jiggly Martian’s on the playfield for sure,…. Discount will be applied at checkout.
Thank you,
Mick
https://www.mickspinball.com/
The picture shown is without the LED's, my website shows all versions.
[quoted image]

Reminder, this is the last day for our sale, and thank you all for taking advantage of the sale, please enjoy these Big O Jiggly Martians...

Mick

BOJ Noleds1 (resized).jpgBOJ Noleds1 (resized).jpg
#2071 7 months ago
Quoted from RickyBobby1:

I got mine a year or so ago from Mezels. https://mezelmods.com/products/attack-from-mars-pinball-eat-at-eddys-building

They have a couple in stock currently.

#2072 7 months ago

Bill Ung installing his expansion kit on my AFM. I emailed him and asked if he would install it if I bought it. I live about 30 minutes away. His repair price is very reasonable. I recommend his mini saucer LED kit and the expansion kit. And having Bill install if you live nearby.

20230908_112432 (resized).jpg20230908_112432 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#2073 7 months ago

Experienced a weird potential graphical glitch on the DMD (ColorDMD) while playing yesterday. I'm curious if others have seen this happen before.

I triggered Video Mode. Once the saucers started coming down and probably around the 20 mark a giant "3" scrolled down the center of the screen. I couldn't shoot it and I'm pretty sure it was just covering up saucers that would normally be there. I just kept spraying side to side like I normally do until the 3 cleared and then got the EB saucer at 30 and then lost it... just kinda threw me off.

Never seen this happen before. I'm on what I believe is the most current ROM revision, and it's the one that just says "Free Play".

Anyone encountered this before?

#2074 7 months ago

Back in the club!

Who says deals don’t exist in 2023?

…… They don’t… but good people still do… Buddy of mine moved along his 20 year possession of a beautiful OG AFM to me and even though the original playfield is beautiful… SOL hole isn’t even blown out, nor are any inserts.. He threw in a brand new Mirco playfield he bought for it when it was first released (plenty of time to cure lol) $5k for everything …. Even less than I paid for a destroyed one back in 2012..

Best deal I’ve been fortunate to come across since I got back into pinball last year.

IMG_0262 (resized).jpegIMG_0262 (resized).jpegIMG_0263 (resized).jpegIMG_0263 (resized).jpegIMG_0264 (resized).jpegIMG_0264 (resized).jpegIMG_0269 (resized).jpegIMG_0269 (resized).jpegIMG_0277 (resized).jpegIMG_0277 (resized).jpegIMG_0286 (resized).jpegIMG_0286 (resized).jpeg

#2075 7 months ago
Quoted from slizzap:

Experienced a weird potential graphical glitch on the DMD (ColorDMD) while playing yesterday. I'm curious if others have seen this happen before.
I triggered Video Mode. Once the saucers started coming down and probably around the 20 mark a giant "3" scrolled down the center of the screen. I couldn't shoot it and I'm pretty sure it was just covering up saucers that would normally be there. I just kept spraying side to side like I normally do until the 3 cleared and then got the EB saucer at 30 and then lost it... just kinda threw me off.
Never seen this happen before. I'm on what I believe is the most current ROM revision, and it's the one that just says "Free Play".

Yes, there is a write up about it somewhere and it's a known Easter egg.

#2076 7 months ago
Quoted from slizzap:

It's intentional--discussed here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-orig-or-remake-easter-eggs#post-3880405

#2077 7 months ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Back in the club!

…… They don’t… but good people still do… Buddy of mine moved along his 20 year possession of a beautiful OG AFM to me and even though the original playfield is beautiful… SOL hole isn’t even blown out, nor are any inserts.. He threw in a brand new Mirco playfield he bought for it when it was first released (plenty of time to cure lol) $5k for everything …. Even less than I paid for a destroyed one back in 2012..

Congrats. Yes, that is, um, indeed a steal, especially in the current market.

#2078 6 months ago

lol, he probably discounted the price because of the included mirco playfield

Congrats on an awesome deal!

Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Back in the club!
Best deal I’ve been fortunate to come across since I got back into pinball last year.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#2079 6 months ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

lol, he probably discounted the price because of the included mirco playfield
Congrats on an awesome deal!

He's had the playfield probably 10 years... so plenty of time to cure lol.

#2080 6 months ago

Thanks for sharing. Of all the documents I've collected for AFM, I'm surprised I haven't come across this before.

1 month later
#2081 5 months ago

Just join the club.. Where can I find a replacement alien ship for the middle of the game, is there a mod available for this?

#2084 5 months ago

lol, not sure? Is the whole ship missing? You just said you were looking for the part, would need more info to help further..

Quoted from pacman11:

Thanks just ordered it. I just ordered the top part of the ship, do I need to order the bottom part too with the lights?

#2085 5 months ago

Does this help?

IMG_1736 (resized).pngIMG_1736 (resized).png
#2086 5 months ago

And here is a link to Bill Ung’s mods

https://www.ufopinball.com/

#2087 5 months ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

Does this help?
[quoted image]

Thanks, no everything is there but my ship is in bad shape. That site you sent me has the bottom piece too so I hope the new top piece fits the old bottom piece if you know what I mean.

#2088 5 months ago

I saw somewhere on here someone chromed their little saucers. Do they sell them chrome plated somewhere? or I wonder if they just painted them themselves.

#2089 5 months ago

Pinball life has them

https://www.pinballlife.com/revenge-from-mars-chrome-flying-saucer.html

Quoted from pacman11:

I saw somewhere on here someone chromed their little saucers. Do they sell them chrome plated somewhere? or I wonder if they just painted them themselves.

#2090 5 months ago

Did anybody hear of the collapsing martians in the very early proto versions and might have some insight?

#2091 5 months ago

I'm extremely happy to say I joined the club a couple of weeks ago. This game is awesome!

Today I installed a tilt mechanism that was strangely missing. When I played a game to test the tilt settings I noticed the ball plunged from the shooter lane when I pushed the right flipper button. I don't have the game long, but I did not remember the game doing this before. I like a couple of happy flips before I start my game.

I then checked the settings: "A2.27 Flipper plunger" was switched off (factory setting). I tried a game with it switched on, after which the behaviour was the same and I set it back to the factory setting... still plunging on a press of the flipper.

During a game the flipper button did not activate the shooting lane plunger. Also switch edges didn't show anything strange. The launch button also plunges a ball normally, so I expect no problems with the switch matrix.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue. Has anyone encountered a similar situation with their machines?

#2092 5 months ago

Anybody know where I could buy replacement mini LED sockets for the mothership board?

#2094 5 months ago
Quoted from pintibo:

... I noticed the ball plunged from the shooter lane when I pushed the right flipper button. ...

Tried again today, and the problem has miraculously disappeared. Strange, but okay.

1 week later
#2095 5 months ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Anybody know where I could buy replacement mini LED sockets for the mothership board?

Anyone have a source for the GozMod replacement PCB for the mothership?
Found this site but they don't ship to the USA.
https://www.onestoppinball.co.uk/products/copy-of-44-47-1-led-frosted-domed-various-colours

#2096 5 months ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Anyone have a source for the GozMod replacement PCB for the mothership?
Found this site but they don't ship to the USA.
https://www.onestoppinball.co.uk/products/copy-of-44-47-1-led-frosted-domed-various-colours

You might still be able to ping gozmod directly, otherwise MezelMods is the US distributor, but currently unavailable there--you can get added to their waitlist.

#2097 5 months ago

Excited to get my new playfield installed.

IMG_9848 (resized).jpegIMG_9848 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#2098 4 months ago

New playfield installed, now she’s starting to play much better.

IMG_0024 (resized).jpegIMG_0024 (resized).jpegIMG_0026 (resized).jpegIMG_0026 (resized).jpegIMG_0027 (resized).jpegIMG_0027 (resized).jpegIMG_0028 (resized).jpegIMG_0028 (resized).jpeg
#2099 4 months ago

Alright guys how to I get this back panel as white as possible, just cleaned it with grease lightening but not happy with it.. ideas?

IMG_0047 (resized).jpegIMG_0047 (resized).jpegIMG_0048 (resized).jpegIMG_0048 (resized).jpeg
#2100 4 months ago

Paint it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.50
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome/page/42?hl=pintibo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.