• 2,230 posts
  • 309 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by slizzap
  • Topic is favorited by 180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_imageSection	Item	Description	Factory Setting	Value A.1 Standard Adjustments	34	Allow Chase Ball	YES	YES (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1492 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5572 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5549 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5563 (resized).jpeg
DSC00938 (resized).JPG
IMG_0563 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevlar51.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#830 3 years ago

New club member checking in! I’ve got a bit of cleaning to do, but it plays well and that’s all that matters!

First thing’s first though—I’m on 1.0–I can only find chips online for 1.1, but I’m reading that 1.13b is the one to get. Where can I find that?

Also, what’s the part number for the mini saucer discs? One broke off in the move. [edit: found it—03-9481]

Thanks!

8E283CEC-D3F0-4796-8B2B-1FDCF22603F8 (resized).jpeg8E283CEC-D3F0-4796-8B2B-1FDCF22603F8 (resized).jpeg

#834 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Romsets are available to download here - https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3781

Thanks--I ended up finding a 1.13b EPROM on planetary pinball. I have no means of burning my own at this point.

#835 3 years ago

How difficult is a playfield swap for AFM? I've never done one, but my game included a NOS Bally playfield. The existing playfield isn't awful--it has wear across the inserts coming out of SOL, but besides that and too much mylar, it's in OK shape. But I'm staring at that new playfield and wondering what could be ...

1 week later
#853 3 years ago

My flashers have all stopped working (gameplay or test mode). Fuse F107 tests fine. Any thoughts on where I should start looking? Thanks!

#855 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just to be sure. Pull and check with a meter.
LTG : )

Yup that’s what i did

#857 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

20 volt test point od driver board. Could have an open fat diode.

I’ve got to cut the diode off to test though right?

#859 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wouldn't do that. Do you have 20 volts on the 20 volt test point ?

i do not--reads at .7 (dmm set to 20) and the 20v LED is not lit

#861 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

There are four of those fat diodes for it. I'd check with a meter first to see if one reads different from the others. After that you'd need to lift one leg to get a more accurate reading if you don't find anything obvious.

Thanks—I didn’t see anything obvious on D15-D18, they all had similar readings. Oddly enough though, D7, D8 and D10 did each have open readings each way. Could that be a contributor?

Keep in mind this is with all the diodes still in the circuit.

#863 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you are good with circuit board repairs. I'd just replace all four. Lifting one leg of each you are half way there.

Good? No. But probably better than some of the mess that’s on this board already. It’s been a couple years since I’ve soldered a board, but diodes hopefully won’t give me too much issue, and I have a desoldering gun that I’m borrowing from a friend.

#865 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

D15-D18 are your diodes for the flashlamp circuit. They form a bridge rectifier. Check for AC voltage between J128 pins 3 or 4 and J128 pins 1 or 2. If that is good, now check for DC voltage at the 20v test point. Similarly you could check between any of the red/white wires going to a flasher and ground braid.
If you have AC going into the bridge and no DC coming out of the bridge, it's most likely a failed power diode(P600D). Although there are a couple other things in that circuit like a resistor, a capacitor, and J133.
If you have no AC going into the bridge, double check F107 and the fuse holder and connector and pins of J128.

I'm getting voltage at Pins 2 and 4. Sorry, but how to I check whether AC is going into the bridge? (I'm learning these things as issues pop up).
But I've got no DC voltage at the 20v test point and the LED is not lit.

Thanks

#867 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Just put your meter on AC voltage and put one lead on pin 4 and one lead on pin 2. Should read roughly around 16VAC. This is coming directly off the transformer and through fuse F107.

Sorry—I misspoke, it’s pins 1 and 3 on J128. AC between those two came up as .6 (lowest AC my AstroAI DMM has is 200)

#869 3 years ago

Well good news is my flashers now work! Turns out a plug had popped off of the COM 1 slot on my coin door switch. Slid it back on and all is well again. But it doesn't slide on firmly, unfortunately--the connector sort of "rests" inside it. Not sure what the solution is there. Crimp it with pliers?

Thanks very much for the help everyone!

#873 3 years ago

When do the playfield flashers light in AFM (Center arrow, Jets, right and left martians)? They test fine in the test menu but I have no recollection of seeing them blink during a game. And I don't think they function during attract mode, right?

EDIT: never mind. They flash when you do good stuff. I just suck.

#876 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'm looking at a few trade packages right now and someone has an original AFM with a redone cabinet (looks nice), clean boards, and everything looks pretty nice except the playfield. I am thinking I could do some touchup paint around this to make it look decent and throw some Mylar on top, but wasn't sure if there were any overlays for these like they have on Addams Family and a few other popular machines. Is this beyond help?
I'm thinking the cheap way would be cliffy's on teh scoop and touch up paint followed by mylar. Any other options beyond the full playfield swap?
[quoted image]

My AFM has similar wear. A previous owner slapped Mylar on top and an imitation cliffy in the scoop.

The Mylar isn’t pretty but plays great. I’d like to replace the cliffy though because it’s bending up in places (specifically the back) and it will halt a slow ball.

My purchase came with an extra Mirco playfield that I’m waffling about installing. Send me a PM if you’re interested in it.

3 weeks later
#904 3 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

I pulled out the WPC schematics and the game manual. Now i’m no pro here but i’m leaning away from issues with your bridge rectifiers since F106 are not directly connected to that fuse.
What i see is F106 is before J120. pin 11 if i’m reading it right is the hold side of the right flipper coil. Maybe i’m off track but i’d be inclined to hunt around the solenoids associated with J120.
Note: iphone wont let me rotate that pic. I am aware it is sideways lol
[quoted image][quoted image]

I think you're using WPC-89 Schematics. AFM is WPC-95

#905 3 years ago

SantaEatsCheese

Here's more diagnostics: http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index2.htm
Search for: "Check Fuse F114/F115" (or F106/F101) Message.

This indicates the voltage is out for the lamp/switch matrix. Sometimes this message is gotten even when the fuses are good!

A failing bridge (or diodes) can cause the game to think their respective fuses are bad. If the fuse F114 (or F106 on WPC-95) is actually blown, usually this is an indication that BR1 (or diodes D11-D14 on WPC-95) usually failed. But it could be as simple as a cracked solder pad on power driver board's BR1 (or diodes D11-D14 on WPC-95). See the above about jumper wires, and install those for good reliability. The shotgun method can also be used, replacing BR1 (and BR2, both for WPC-S and prior, while you are at it!) on the power driver board, in addition to the jumper wires.

It goes on to provide step by step tests. But replacing fat diodes D11-D14 might be a good start. Also consider the jumpers they refer to since your board is pulled.

1 week later
#942 3 years ago

The PPS laminated decals are disappointing to say the least:

1. They are too big because they are based on the playfield graphic and not the portion that goes in the insert. I had to trim mine with an X-acto knife to get it to fit. It's not a particularly easy thing to do either since you're trimming both the sticker and the paper it's stuck on. But on the bright side, a trimmed sticker will fit on the insert pretty well level with the playfield.

2. For AFM, the typeface they used for the text isn't correct. They just found something close and slapped it on there--"return to battle" looks awful.

I had very similar SOL damage on mine, with ugly mylar covering the whole PF. I pulled the mylar with dust cleaner to freeze, but still lost a few insert laminates--a couple simply popped up with the mylar as i was freezing it. Wherever possible, I used waterslide decals. They aren't perfect--they aren't as opaque as the originals (I tried to double-up, but found that to be more trouble that it was worth) and they don't have the "frosted" look like the rest.

Unfortunately, two of my lost inserts--"Super Jackpot" and "5-Way Combo" mission lights, have white lettering. There's no cost effective way to get white lettering (or very light gray lettering) that works on these. So I had to buy the PPS decals (and that's when I got frustrated with 1 and 2 above).

But all in all--I'm MUCH happier with the mylar off. For insert filling, I wholeheartedly recommend Solarez thin-hard fly-tie resin. Put the waterslide decal on the insert, pour the resin in, cover with clear transparency film, roll something cylindrical over it to ensure it's level, wipe the excess away, then shine it with a UV blacklight flashlight (follow resin directions). In less than a minute, you can peel the transparency away and you've got a nice hard clear surface.

#945 3 years ago

I'm picking this playfield up from a local pinsider after work today (Thanks Kevlar!). Looks good from the photos.
Gonna try the playfield swap now that I'm already in deep.[quoted image]

Yup--this is an earlier run playfield though; it won't be able to answer @pinhead1982's question on current mirco quality

#948 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

What I'm I missing?
Please

Second jackpot circle from the right is missing a black “keystone” shaped section of paint below it.

2 weeks later
#961 3 years ago

EDIT: Removing my bad advice on hex posts

#968 3 years ago

I’m getting close to getting my playfield swap finished!
I have a few gremlins I’m hunting down
1. The Vuks on the right side are not working. These consist of the pop bumpers, right sling, and lower right alien. Anybody got any ideas about where a common failure would hit these?
Other items I think I’m good on but still to do.
[quoted image]

The slingshots and pop bumpers all fall under Column 5 in the switch matrix. Worth following the Green-black wire starting from the left slingshot down the column to make sure everything is in the right spot, and make sure the diode is attached correctly to each switch (before replacing each diode).

3 weeks later
#1002 3 years ago

My ball lock (first shot on the center ramp) has started activating the cow ramp, awarding a tractor beam light. Both ramps share the same “exit” switch on the right ramp exit. I replaced the diodes on the cow ramp and exit switch, but it didn’t improve anything.

Any suggestions on this?

Added over 4 years ago:

EDIT: I've jiggled and reseated some wiring at the switch matrix "box" switches and it appears to have resolved itself. Must have been a short somewhere; I'll investigate further if the issue returns.

2 weeks later
#1017 3 years ago

Finished my Rad Cal install today—breathes new life into the machine!

4D29F33D-5E44-4DA7-B813-14F549A44016 (resized).jpeg4D29F33D-5E44-4DA7-B813-14F549A44016 (resized).jpegDDFAD090-D26E-408F-A40B-0540D81F0EAD (resized).jpegDDFAD090-D26E-408F-A40B-0540D81F0EAD (resized).jpeg
#1020 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Do you have to take the side rails off to fit the Radcals on?

No--they fit below the rails and are designed to but up against them.

But my right rail was beat to hell, so I took the opportunity to replace it.

#1025 3 years ago

Right—the benefit of Rad Cals is less cabinet prep. They are stiff, laminated decals that won’t be affected by some scrapes to the cabinet underneath, whereas traditional decals wouldn’t work.

I did fill in a couple heavy gouges and squared off the corners with resin.

I also painted over the art with a light coat of some black acrylic paint. But didn’t require anywhere near a full cab strip.

Another choice I made was to recess the cabinet carriage bolts (and I replaced them with elevator bolts that have a flat head). This gives a uniform smooth appearance. A downside to leaving the carriage bolts out with these is it can create “donuts” around the bolts where the decal warps.

2 weeks later
#1029 3 years ago

Snooping around under my playfield and I found this cable to nowhere. Should this be plugged in somewhere? Other end is in the center junction box slot, all wires lead to those loose plugs.

88182841-BBFB-4E56-8587-0FD40D1504E1 (resized).jpeg88182841-BBFB-4E56-8587-0FD40D1504E1 (resized).jpegAD1E9B12-0BBB-410E-A136-691EFD3E9D86 (resized).jpegAD1E9B12-0BBB-410E-A136-691EFD3E9D86 (resized).jpeg
#1034 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Does anyone here have the WPC-95 backbox blackout relay mod installed in their game and have opinions on it? Just ran across it, and it seems interesting. I’m usually not a mod guy, but I like the idea behind it.

I don't have the blackout mod, but I do have the GI OCD board, which has capabilities in its settings to achieve the same effect as the blackout mod.

In short, it's impressive and makes the game more challenging. In a very dark room, you really only see the balls in short bursts; it's a cool effect that you really can't appreciate with a stock machine.

The con there (for me) is this effect gave me a bad headache, bordering on motion sickness. So if you have a propensity for that, be aware.

1 month later
#1046 3 years ago
Quoted from paulg100:

Hi All, New ATF owner here (my first real machine!, although already bought another (star trek )
Ive fixed various issues with the machine since i bought it and only have 1 left which is my upper left Martian isnt popping during Martian attack.
Ive changed out the solenoid just to be sure and its firing through the test menu but dosent move during the mode in game.
Am hoping someone might be able to point me into the right direction on where to start looking,
Thanks

Does the game think you've already hit that target?

1 week later
#1068 3 years ago
Quoted from paulg100:

Im in the process of making a new backboard in acrylic with a new decal that im planning to led light.
Whilst i had to remove the mothership, ramps and plastics to get the old board off (more work than id hoped!!) i thought id take the chance to give everything a good clean and wax whilst i have easy access.
My playfield has been clear coated and is pretty much perfect and id obviously like to keep it that way. I have some mylar here and im thinking if it would be worth putting some down where ive marked as even more protection?
Just wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth while given the clearcoat, or if theres any downside to adding it.
Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.
[quoted image]

My personal opinion is to leave the mylar off. Especially if you just had it clearcoated, proper maintenance should serve you well over adding mylar. Especially since mylar removal could ruin quite a bit of that area, even if you're careful. FWIW, I have mylar in and around the ultra jets, but only because it's not worth the effort to remove, since it's a hard to see area. My main playfield area also had old mylar with lots of dust under the edges, and removal was no picnic. I lost a few insert screens and replacing with waterslide decals or stickers is not fun.

I do like Cliffy's though, especially for the rollover protectors. But many will say they are overkill in a home environment where the playfield isn't showing wear.

#1070 3 years ago
Quoted from paulg100:

Its easier just to take the ramps off the AFM once or twice a year and give the area a good clean and wax i think!.

For sure

1 month later
#1093 3 years ago

FWIW, the planetary pinball decals are frustrating to work with. They need to be trimmed to actually fit in the insert to be flush with the playfield surface.

They are necessary for the inserts that have gray/white printing because you can’t really print that on your own with water slide decals.

Where possible, I created water slide decals, put it on the insert, and covered with a UV-hardened resin.

#1104 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Looking for an Eat at Eddys mod if anyone has one for sale. Thanks

In case you haven’t tried yet “e-mail me when available” only took a few days on the Mezelmods site.

#1119 3 years ago

My 10 year old just took out TEX. Simultaneously proud and jealous.

#1129 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Bump ^
Would appreciate any help.

Which topper mod?

#1193 3 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Newb player question,
Is there any way other than the stroke of luck to get video mode?
I'm going to be honest, i never really wanted to own attack from mars, considering i never truly played it.
But within months of owning it (i tend to be willing to own anything that has some financial room on the back end), i'd say it's the most played pin at my house, ever. I also find myself playing another game after i say i'm done at the moment, then another and another. Usually getting worse each time, lol.

Video Mode is only in stroke of luck. After you light super jets, video mode will be the next SOL award.

1 month later
#1280 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Pinball adventures are definitely a love/hate situation for me.

Thanks, and I appreciate you keeping an eye out for one for me. Do you or somebody have a manual handy? It's a green/ yellow wire coming off the T target that's broken. I won't be able to get Martian attack without it. Not sure where it should go. Also, can someone remind me the correct function of the drop target? From memory I think it stays up until the saucer is ready to be destroyed. However, I'm wondering now does it drop everytime it's hit and then quickly reset?

If the green-yellow wire is still connected to the T switch, then the other end should be connected to either the I or the N switch. Inspect those two to see if they are missing one.

The center gate is supposed to be up with the game starts. You need to hit the three targets for it to drop. Then you start hitting the ship and blow it up. Then the gate goes back up. Caveat: for the super skill shot where you hold the left button and launch the ball, then hit the gate, it’ll go down with one hit and give 50m points.

#1283 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Thanks, yes wire is connected to T. I'll check I and N. Sorry I was vague, I'm referring to the single drop target under the ship. When I played yesterday it would drop from a hit and stay down. I know it should only stay down only after enough hits on the saucer are made. I'm going to set it up soon, maybe the problem will be obvious.

Oh gotcha—yeah that should stay up until the ship is ready to be destroyed. I had to replace mine once because it wouldn’t stay up. I just had to replace the plastic target, but check pdf p. 118 of the manual here for the assembly breakdown to see if the spring or something is missing http://www.coinoperatorshop.com/media/products/manual/pinball/Bally_1995_Attack_from_Mars_Operations_Manual.pdf

6 months later
#1372 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Help needed regarding switching out the home ROM on AFM so the machine can accept coin drop. This machine will be routed, so the "free play only" option won't work for me as it did for the previous owner who installed the chip. Can someone point me to exactly what chip or chips I need to ensure the latest code with coin drop, where the chips go, and where I can purchase them? I have installed chips before, but I remain clueless about these particular issues. Photo below.
Thanks for any insight.
[quoted image]

The 1.13b rom is the similar to what you have but allows coins. It’s an unofficial ROM but includes Dirty Pool.

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=ROMS017

1 week later
#1382 2 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

I need advice on preparing and replacing insert decals. As the pics below show, I have just a few damaged decals over inserts, ranging from some with white "bubbles" underneath (even though the decals are smooth) to a few where the decal is missing and the glass is "rough" or where there is a missing decal and flaking around the edges. There is no mylar over these insert areas--it's an original playfield with clearcoat (I believe).
I have a set of laminated decals, an exacto knife, naptha (which I have previously used to remove glue residue after mylar removal), and a can of air to use the "cold freeze" method if needed. Obviously I need to replace the decals where there is simply no print left, but I'm more tentative about replacing smooth decals where there is unsightly white but a smooth surface and whether I might do damage in the process. Looking for any advice on method, surface preparation, and decal installation. Many thanks![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My personal approach below.

Try to preserve as many of the existing decals as possible (except where they are cut in half). The new decals won't have the "cloudy" appearance of the originals.

Where possible, I created water slide decals, put it on the insert, and covered with a UV-hardened resin. This isn't feasible with white lettering, as my printer couldn't handle it.

Not sure if you've ordered your insert decals yet. The planetary pinball decals are frustrating to work with. They need to be trimmed to actually fit in the insert to be flush with the playfield surface, and the typeface doesn't match the game on some of the decals (Return to Battle looks awful).

I'd also ordered another set of decals from Europe. The typeface matches the game, which is nice, but they still need to be trimmed, same as PPS. Unfortunately, once I peeled off a decal, I found the black letters all had white edges from the printing, which made them more or less useless.

Try and retain the intact decals as best you can on the playfield. With an x-acto knife, cut a tiny hole in the edge, and using a syringe, squirt a bit of UV resin under the decal, then harden with the UV light.

I used Solarez UV resin: https://www.amazon.com/SOLAREZ-Fly-Tie-Cure-Resin/dp/B07MLTL3FM/ref=sr_1_14

Pour it into the insert, then place a stiff piece of mylar over it to flatten it out even with the playfield, then harden with a UV flashlight: https://www.amazon.com/LETION-Flashlight-Highlight-Waterproof-Detection/dp/B07X1H5TJQ/ref=sr_1_6

Curing the UV takes a couple minutes: shine the light on the resin for 5 seconds, leave off for 30 seconds, then another 5 seconds, leave off for 30, then leave on for another 30 (follow the directions on the bottle--my times might be off, but that's the gist).

This is not a perfect solution (stripping everything and clearcoating is more professional for sure); but I'm much happier with the inserts where I used the resin than the inserts where I used the stickers I purchased.

After about 8 months of use, the resin still holds, though there's some chipping around the edges.

1 week later
#1384 2 years ago

Any recommendations for shaker motors for AFM?

#1397 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

What did I fry?
Working on AFM, game on, duh, and I Dropped the screwdriver and something shorted. Game rebooted. Upon reboot, says check fuses 101 and 106. Pulled them out, checked ok. Proceeded to pull every fuse, all check ok. Went ahead and replaced 101 and 106, no change. No coils fire in test mode.
So what got fried?

Here's what the manual says (for more places to check):

Check Fuses F101 and F106 and Opto 12V Supply
This message will be displayed if the game senses that all optical switches are not functioning. This
usually occurs when there is no 12V supply to the playfield optics.
The problem is likely to be a blown fuse (F109), or at connectors J138, J139, J140 or J141 on the
power driver board.

#1400 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yay... finally after 5+ years and thousands of games.....it was so awesome
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Congrats!

I've yet to do it (but my 11 year old's gotten it 3 times). Last week I got all the gems lit except Martian freakin' Multiball. Unbelievable!

1 week later
#1407 2 years ago

Can a AFMr playfield be swapped into an original?

1 week later
#1433 2 years ago

Currently I have a switch matrix issue (likely a bad diode) where if I hit the center ramp, it will also register that I completed the right ramp.

I’ve had this issue for a while and I can’t seem to find the energy to fix it

It helps with the super jackpot, which I still suck at anyway.

#1437 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not likely.
More likely a switch wired wrong or a short to switch lugs/wiring.

thanks, I'll take a look. Since both ramps share the same exit switch, I imagine it's something with the cow ramp's entry switch.

#1443 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Hmm...I may have to investigate mine now. I was under the impression an unlocked orbit shot would contribute to the combo score.
Additionally...I thought a locked orbit (left or right) would only count towards a 5 way combo score if it was the fifth shot of said combo.

It will count when it’s the fifth shot of a 5-way combo. Otherwise a left or right orbit shot will kill a combo—Unless you’ve gotten all three shots on the orbit (then an orbit shot counts as a ramp shot towards a combo).

1 week later
#1449 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Having an issue with SOL scoop not ejecting the ball out. Coil fires but it only kicks the ball up like a quarter way. When inspecting the scoop I found this piece of plastic blocking the ball (see pic). Removed it, but ball still isn’t ejecting out. Any ideas? Everything looks fine underneath.
Here is the plastic piece. [quoted image]

Is that plastic is part of your VUK? Here’s the full plunger replacement: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17767
Or here: https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-bell-armature-plunger-assembly-a-17767.html

2 weeks later
#1459 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Random question.
Do you guys always go for the super skill shot? Would there be a benefit not to?

If the gate is up, I go for super skill shot to knock it down. If the gate is down, I don’t go for super skill shot.

2 weeks later
#1493 2 years ago

Do any of you have the CPR mirrored backglass for AFM? Thoughts?

1 month later
#1581 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Got an AFM coming in a week or so. Traded my TMNT with someone as I've always wanted AFM near mint and very beautiful example with a few of the more tasteful mods.
I have Afterglow GI or LEDOCD GI in my other B/W, I'll probably get one for AFM.
Does it utilise a lot of GI dimming?

You'll be able to get the game pitch black during strobe multiball. It'll give you a seizure, but it's worth it.

#1584 2 years ago

I thought I'd read ledocd GI also helps with this or did I misunderstand?
The blackout doesn't seem expensive at least, but shipping to the UK is the issue for me.

If you're getting GI OCD, then you won't need a blackout board. You can get the same results in the GI OCD settings.

1 week later
#1601 2 years ago

Any hints for what to look for with the vuk being I am consistent?
It doesn't look bent. Should it have washers under the pf? This seemed to make it better but still inconsistent.
There's a cliffy installed but slightly lifting... Are they meant to have thin double sided tape?

The top of the VUK plunger should be a cup with rather “sharp” edges. If the edges are getting worn out or mushrooming, then it’ll cause erratic ejects and it’s time to replace the shaft.

#1614 2 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]
It looks ok to me, a tiny bit of wear but can't imagine that makes it kick to the left sling ?
Game is level at 7degrees pitch.[quoted image]

I’d replace that VUK plunger. It looks similar to the wear I had on my WCS VUK, and in that case the ball couldn’t make it out of its chute because the ball kept smacking into the side.

#1620 2 years ago

I got a new sleeve and plunger, it didn't make much difference.
However the spring on the plunger was moving about, I'm not sure if it's supposed to. But I had some spare thicker/stronger springs that I think we're intended for kickers on my DE JP.
I put one of those on the plunger and stretched it slightly so it was tighter.
The theory being it would offer more resistance to the plunger firing and make it a little weaker so the ball would veer to the right.
Seems to have worked in my quick tests. Nearly all kickouts had the ball hitting the left half of the left flipper.
I'd be curious to see other people SOL kickout though, incase it's supposed to have a different spring to what was originally on mine.

Here’s my spring:

4A69634F-F7D1-4CF1-BD81-6AD0C4A4167C (resized).jpeg4A69634F-F7D1-4CF1-BD81-6AD0C4A4167C (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#1652 2 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

The diverter operates in the test menu now and I tried to clear the fault. From my understanding, you roll the ball up the lock ramp on the left of the saucer.
First time it should come back to the flipper. Second time it should get snatched for lock. Then repeat...flipper...lock...flipper...lock.
What really happens, is the 1st ball goes to the flipper, then after that, the ball keeps getting locked. What switch needs to be hit in order for the diverter to close?

It’s operating correctly (for default settings). The first multiball is flipper lock lock lock. After that it’s flipper lock flipper lock flipper lock.

1 month later
#1685 2 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:I was secretly hoping this thread would die a silent death but now I will have to own up to an embarrassing solution in the hopes that someone else doesn't make such a dumb troubleshooting mistake. Here goes. A previous owner of the machine had installed a potentiometer to adjust the machine volume. Based on where it was located (inside the coin door), I figured it had been moved from a standard location in the cabinet and I had assumed that it was THE way to adjust. I also noticed that the potentiometer was only wired to the back box speakers and not he cabinet speaker so the cabinet speaker couldn’t be adjusted which seemed weird. After much troubleshooting and head scratching I recalled how in my old Diner the volume was adjusted with the menu buttons inside the coin door and suddenly I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach. Lo and behold, I think that somehow I must have inadvertently hit one of the buttons while doing something unrelated and had lowered the overall volume level. I cranked it back up with the buttons and everything is fine. I did find that the tweeter on the right side is blown but not related to this problem, just needs to be replaced. I did get a message on another thread that the 13V is not a problem and doesn't seem to be in this case. Thanks for your info!

I hooked my AFM audio up with a potentiometer like this. This allows you to get the bass up. Basically, you turn the volume up with the coin door buttons, which increases all speakers, then decrease the back box volume with the potentiometer, leaving the cabinet subwoofer at a higher volume.

It’s a nice mod.

#1687 1 year ago

Finally! I’ve Ruled the Universe! Next on the list—my kid’s high score.

Oddly enough, this victory came on my very first game after installing magnetic switches on my right orbit. Here’s the thread on them: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-mrs-catalog

I tried adjusting the original switches countless times and I’d still get frequent shots that didn’t register. These switches cleared it up, so I’m happy

2 weeks later
#1694 1 year ago

As far as decals go—I put RadCals on mine. I am very happy with them, but not everyone likes the glossy look.

#1698 1 year ago
Quoted from Lockenick:

Shopping out my AFM and I have a broken plastic I can’t seem to track down. It’s the plastic that goes just to the left side of/ and under the main saucer.
Figured I’d see if anyone here had one before having to go buy a whole new set. (I do see the post a few up about messaging tomtest)
[quoted image]

These used to be readily available on ebay and Planetary Pinball. Now it looks like only European sites have them (as two-packs with their opposite-side pair).
Planetary Pinball still has some individual AFM plastics, but it looks like that supply is dwindling (perhaps more money in selling full sets). I'd been looking for the same piece as Deleenhe a couple months ago, and was annoyed to find that it was the ONLY AFM plastic I couldn't get as a single part--now there's lots missing.

1 week later
#1710 1 year ago

Another strange issue I'd not noticed before.
Sometimes I'll get a lock, or start multiball by getting the ball into the saucer hole behind the drop target.
One time I had the saucer ready to destroy but it's as if it skipped that switch.
Any ideas?

Happens to me from time to time too. I feel like I always get one or two "blanks" when I am conquering Mars. Just the other day it happened on what would have been my 10th and final saucer shot to conquer. Instead it didn't register and I lost the ball/game before I could shoot it back in.

4 weeks later
#1757 1 year ago

I instinctively jam the launch button every time I hit either ramp

#1760 1 year ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Been banging on the launch button anytime I hear the prompts for cow video mode but I have yet to see cow video mode.
It also has to be done with the same ball correct?

Doesn’t need to be the same ball. Even so, I owned this game for well over a year before I finally saw cow mode. So excited that I only hit two cows!!

I’ve seen it a few more times since with much more success.

3 weeks later
#1776 1 year ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Finally got cow video mode and even made it to the 'mother cow.'
That's some funny stuff.

So many horrifying and traumatizing "moos" on the mother cow.

2 months later
#1828 1 year ago

Ugh. I was having my personal best on AFM--33 billion on ball 2 and had already ruled the universe. My kid's grand champ is 35 billion. The ball drops in from the pop bumpers into the rear-side of the SOL and then ... nothing. The ball doesn't pop out. I had a hurry-up counting down on the screen, and the animation kept going, but the numbers weren't advancing (presumably because the balls had been up in the pops, where countdowns freeze). Flippers still work, lights are still flashing, music still playing.

I removed the glass, pulled the ball out and dropped it in the SOL again--still nothing. I concede and drop the ball down the drain, hoping a ball advance will help. Nope, the game doesn't recognize that the ball drained--so I can't even finish this game to enter my initials. I tried reseating the cables on the opto board, but that didn't help.

Eventually I turned the game off, and back on. Everything's fine again. My game just had it out for me, I guess.

My wife and youngest son each asked if I'd tried tilting the machine. Nope, and I wish I'd thought of it.

#1830 1 year ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Did you let it go to a ball search?

Sorry--I left that out. It would not go into ball search. I assumed it would when it first got stuck, but after a few minutes of waiting, I realized it wasn't going to happen, and that's when I pulled the glass.

2 weeks later
#1843 1 year ago

My 9-year-old suddenly got good at this game. He ruled the universe for the first time this weekend and conquered Mars with a dirty pool on his last country, which I've never seen happen.

#1855 1 year ago
Quoted from slizzap:

So now a new problem has emerged, or perhaps I'm just noticing it. When I did all the work mentioned in my previous post, I also replaced the right high orbit switch. I noticed this switch was not registering probably 2/3rds of the time. I was poking around and realized it was only depressing when coming down the playfield, whereas going up the playfield it was not depressing at all. Watching it closely I then noticed the ball would sometimes just hop over the switch. The switch wasn't catching on the wood. I didn't bother playing around with bending the switch. Figured the path of least resistance here was to just replace it.
After replacing it, the same problem exists...sorta. That switch is registering fine in the Test menu, but during gameplay the right orbit set (Atomic Blaster 1/2/3) very rarely registers, making it hard to get that right orbit Jackpot or work towards Total Annihilation. I have found consistency in that if I hit the right orbit with a very high speed shot, it almost never registers that set, but if it moves slowly it almost always does. For another head scratcher, while testing gameplay today the same happened with the left orbit...first time I've ever seen it happen on the left side. Also with a high speed shot.
Did some research on this and found an old post from LTG saying to replace the switch. Going to go ahead and order replacement switches for the remaining 3 orbit switches. However, I still figured I would throw this out there in case there are other known causes of this happening. After first I thought it was a bug in the game because all the switches are registering just fine in the Test menu...

In case you find the new switches don’t help much, I replaced my right orbit switches (I had the same issue as you) with magnetic switches.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-mrs-catalog

It solved the issue (most of the time). It still doesn’t register on very rare occasions, but certainly not 50/50 like i was getting before replacement.

1 week later
#1864 1 year ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

About to install bill ung UFO pinball remake saucer mod!!
Any tips before I dig in?
His website seems pretty at describing all the details but I’m sure there’s always more info to help.
[quoted image]

It's a great mod an pretty easy to follow the instructions. But you'll hate your life plugging the lights into each hole. Go slow and make sure they aren't knotted it some weird way.

#1870 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Top left corner on top the ramp behind the flasher. Two holes there. One for the screw and one for the tab.

I love that you're here, standing watch--reminding folks where that piece goes (because you know they'll ask).

2 weeks later
#1887 1 year ago
Quoted from slizzap:

3 light-related questions for every AFM owner out there (including AFMr owners if you're viewing this):
Looking at your playfield while the lamps are lit, look closely at the 6 lights towards the bottom for Super Jackpot, Super Jets, Martian Attack Multiball, Total Annihilation, Conquer Mars, and 5-Way Combo.
1) What color are these lights?
2) Are you using LED or incandescent bulbs?
3) Do you have an original or reproduction playfield?

1) Comet Ice Blue
2) LED
3) Original

1 week later
#1901 1 year ago
Quoted from slizzap:

Anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting/resolving this problem? The "A" is not supposed to be lit here...all the lamps are off except this one. It's not fully illuminated, just faintly, and does flicker sometimes.
[quoted image]
I found this after swapping out every incandescent bulb (except flashers) for LEDs and installing an LED OCD board. This problem may have existed beforehand and just went unnoticed with an incandescent bulb, but I can't be certain. The bulb is a standard 1SMD from Comet, not a non-ghosting bulb. Here's what I've tried so far:
1) Tried a different bulb. Same results.
2) Noticed that the martian with red LED eyes was connected to this, so I swapped the wedge with its neighbor, essentially trying a different wedge and removing the martian as a factor. Same results.
3) Bypassed the LED OCD board and went back to the main board. Same results.
4) Pulled out the entire lamp board and re-flowed the solder to both sides of the wedge and both legs of the applicable resistor. Also visually inspected the resistor. Did not see anything that stood out on the board or with the resistor. Only did a continuity test everywhere applicable, which was all good. Same results.
5) Swapped out the bulb for a non-ghosting bulb. Problem went away, but now it doesn't flash in sync with its neighbor due to the LED OCD board and the other bulbs being standard (not non-ghosting). I can use this as a temporary workaround, as it's better than the ghosting that is happening.
After having tried all of that, I'm assuming the likely candidates are the resistor or the main board. If anyone suspects the resistor, if you could provide some insight as to how I would go about testing that. I have a multimeter, but I have never had to venture outside of simple voltage and continuity testing, so this would be unfamiliar ground to me.
Thanks.

Have you tried playing with the settings in the LED OCD software to see if you can fix the issue from there?

#1903 1 year ago
Quoted from slizzap:

I have not since this seems to be an electrical problem. While that is a thought, it essentially provides the same solution as my current workaround of using a non-ghosting bulb. In addition, any change made with the LED OCD board for this one specific light will be in conflict with the rest of the lighting.
This is the only bulb exhibiting this problem, and it's not the typical ghosting issue where it sometimes flickers on and off. It's permanently illuminated faintly, and increases to full brightness when it should be on.

There's a lot of customizing you can do with one lamp (or all Martian lamps) in the software. If you haven't already, take a look at http://www.ledocd.com/usage_led.html for some ideas to adjust brightness. This is definitely a workaround though. My thought is that at the end of the day--if you are stuck with a workaround--that this could yield a better fix than the non-ghosting bulb, which didn't act in concert with the rest.

2 weeks later
#1916 1 year ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Hi all,
Recently acquired and original restored AFM and have been so addicted to it. Really enjoying this game beyond my expectations.
Question. When defending a city and attacking the ship, should it count as a hit against the ship if I shoot it straight up the middle into the hole? On my game only the targets inside the ship area trigger hits and then to finish the ship off the hole registers. But should the hole register a hit when doing damage vs the ship?

You should have a drop target that blocks the hole and registers points. The target drops when the mother ship is ready to be destroyed. If the target is never up you might have a fault in the target assembly (manual p. 2-24).

1 month later
#1972 1 year ago

I added a separate volume control in my cabinet that bypasses the subwoofer. So I turn the in-game volume up higher, then lower the volume with the separate control, resulting in more bass.

1 month later
#1980 1 year ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Bump! Would love someone’s help on this!

Check bottom left connector

2FE1072B-EB9F-4FE1-8769-1AB25F869CE4 (resized).jpeg2FE1072B-EB9F-4FE1-8769-1AB25F869CE4 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#1997 12 months ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Just joined the club.
Any thoughts on the different ROMs available? Is there one with all of the bug fixes that isn't free play only?
[quoted image]

1.13b is the version to get and is not free play only.

Don't be like me and confuse 1.13b with 1.13 beta, which is free play only.

You'll know the difference pretty quick--on your DMD where it says "free play" it will instead say "free only"

2 weeks later
#2019 11 months ago
Quoted from Harrisonmax02:

Finally getting my parts together for my project attack from mars that I’ll be restoring to go with my rfm. Buddy hooked me up with a nos cleared pf for a good price and I couldn’t be happier!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I can't begin to tell you how jealous I am right now.

4 months later
#2076 6 months ago
Quoted from slizzap:

Experienced a weird potential graphical glitch on the DMD (ColorDMD) while playing yesterday. I'm curious if others have seen this happen before.
I triggered Video Mode. Once the saucers started coming down and probably around the 20 mark a giant "3" scrolled down the center of the screen. I couldn't shoot it and I'm pretty sure it was just covering up saucers that would normally be there. I just kept spraying side to side like I normally do until the 3 cleared and then got the EB saucer at 30 and then lost it... just kinda threw me off.
Never seen this happen before. I'm on what I believe is the most current ROM revision, and it's the one that just says "Free Play".
Anyone encountered this before?

It's intentional--discussed here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-orig-or-remake-easter-eggs#post-3880405

1 month later
#2096 4 months ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Anyone have a source for the GozMod replacement PCB for the mothership?
Found this site but they don't ship to the USA.
https://www.onestoppinball.co.uk/products/copy-of-44-47-1-led-frosted-domed-various-colours

You might still be able to ping gozmod directly, otherwise MezelMods is the US distributor, but currently unavailable there--you can get added to their waitlist.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 21.50
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

16,500 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevlar51.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-afm-martians-welcome?tu=kevlar51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.