20240424_111211 (resized).jpg
20240420_145715 (resized).jpg
20240419_132630 (resized).jpg
backwards bracket (resized).jpg
20240419_123641 (resized).jpg
20240419_123624 (resized).jpg
20240419_123607 (resized).jpg
20240419_123503 (resized).jpg
There are 5,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 110.
#4201 5 months ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey 565
What info did you receive on your DMD during the test?
Do not remove the ASIC on the CPU unless you have the proper tool.
Wally

yep, I did a search on how to remove, found chris's video, and just ordered the tool he used. got the ram chips out ok. they are in the new board. waiting for the new tool to carefully get the asic chip out.

As for the test, They all worked... although, every time I touched a pin, the entire row shorted. no single switch went off by itself. also, pin three on BOTH 206 and 207 did not work.
I might still send the old board out too chris for re-repairs so I have a spare.

The new switch matrix harness is on it's way. the asic removal tool is on it's way. so until that gets here, I Will focus on the motors and the opto bookcase wires and get that all done.

#4202 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

yep, I did a search on how to remove, found chris's video, and just ordered the tool he used. got the ram chips out ok. they are in the new board. waiting for the new tool to carefully get the asic chip out.
As for the test, They all worked... although, every time I touched a pin, the entire row shorted. no single switch went off by itself. also, pin three on BOTH 206 and 207 did not work.
I might still send the old board out too chris for re-repairs so I have a spare.
The new switch matrix harness is on it's way. the asic removal tool is on it's way. so until that gets here, I Will focus on the motors and the opto bookcase wires and get that all done.

Hey 565
OK. If the jumper from a single pin on a row to a single pin on a column results in an entire row closing, there is a problem with the CPU.
Did you measure the 12VDC regulated ?
Wally

#4203 5 months ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey 565
OK. If the jumper from a single pin on a row to a single pin on a column results in an entire row closing, there is a problem with the CPU.
Did you measure the 12VDC regulated ?
Wally

I did not get around to that one yet. the new board had arrived and had already taken the u4 and u6 out by then.

Hopefully we can get the new board safely fired up by the end of the week and THAT problem will be solved. but, can't do anything until then except work on the opto's and motors.

#4204 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I did not get around to that one yet. the new board had arrived and had already taken the u4 and u6 out by then.
Hopefully we can get the new board safely fired up by the end of the week and THAT problem will be solved. but, can't do anything until then except work on the opto's and motors.

As long as you keep twisting wires on to contacts without soldering them, you are going to have mishaps and potential shorts.

Its a very dangerous method.

#4205 5 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

As long as you keep twisting wires on to contacts without soldering them, you are going to have mishaps and potential shorts.

If he is going to continue with this method couldn’t he at least use wire nutsand crimp on connectors?

#4206 5 months ago

I just went through and made sure all the lights are soldered on properly. even though I dislike doing it until I know everything is working, I will do the switches next.

#4207 5 months ago

Lights are confirmed secure. I even moved a few that looked too close to metal, even though they where not touching. switches done again. tomorrow, I will work on the bookcase and get that finally finished.

ASIC tool gets here thursday. First, we can see if that solves the short problem. then test the 12v regulation to see if that caused the switch problem.

Not going to hook up the new harness until all this stuff is squared away first. If all that other stuff checks out, harness goes on next. THEN the underside should be done. As well as having a cabinet finally wired fully.

will celebrate with a nice looong break. and maybe go into test mode in december. got alot more done, alot more set back...but almost nearing the finish line.

#4208 5 months ago

on the bright side, cabinet is finally wired.

would be nice if it was a little neater... but at least it's finally done. and soldered.

IMG_0044 (resized).jpgIMG_0044 (resized).jpg

didn't have the proper size for the stake ons /plumb bob. so had to use what we had in the warehouse. looks weird, but it works.

#4209 5 months ago

I don't do a lot of wiring, but for those of you that do, is it better to solder wires together like that or use some type of a splice connector? It seems like a lot of exposed wire that needs to be covered.

Keep going you're almost there. You've made quite the progress.

#4210 5 months ago

Hey 565
The Slam Tilt switch is normally mounted to the floor. Did you remember to install a diode on it? See my previous posts and pics. I can't see the wire colors to each. Make sure the Plumb Bob is Gr-Brn and Wht-Yellow and the Slam Tilt is Gr-Red and Wht-Brn (with diode)
Wally

#4211 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

on the bright side, cabinet is finally wired.
would be nice if it was a little neater... but at least it's finally done. and soldered.
[quoted image]
didn't have the proper size for the stake ons /plumb bob. so had to use what we had in the warehouse. looks weird, but it works.

Dear God!

#4212 5 months ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey 565
The Slam Tilt switch is normally mounted to the floor. Did you remember to install a diode on it? See my previous posts and pics. I can't see the wire colors to each. Make sure the Plumb Bob is Gr-Brn and Wht-Yellow and the Slam Tilt is Gr-Red and Wht-Brn (with diode)
Wally

sadly, the wires where not long enough too reach the floor, and I did not want to have exposed stuff anymore than I had too. I guess I could recrimp them and make the wires longer.

what size stake ons are used for the plumb bob? I will get some and crimp them on.

I was looking for the post with the tilt switch info, but couldn't refind it on first glance. those are not soldered on yet, because I knew it needed a diode.

#4213 5 months ago
Quoted from Monk:

I don't do a lot of wiring, but for those of you that do, is it better to solder wires together like that or use some type of a splice connector? It seems like a lot of exposed wire that needs to be covered.

I wasn't sure what size it needed, so I used what I Had, and yeah. if it stays that way, it WILL be covered by 3m tape.

#4214 5 months ago
Quoted from Monk:

Ideally you’d get the right length of wire to avoid that, but when I’ve had to splice wires I generally solder them together and cover the joint with heat shrink tubing.

#4215 5 months ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Ideally you’d get the right length of wire to avoid that, but when I’ve had to splice wires I generally solder them together and cover the joint with heat shrink tubing.

I have a bunch of it handy, but never got around to looking up how to properly use it. will be looking on youtube one of these days.

#4216 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

it WILL be covered by 3m tape.

Dont use any tape.

It wont stay on.

Use heat shrink tubing when necessary.

#4217 5 months ago

Dont use any tape.
It wont stay on.
Use heat shrink tubing when necessary.

off to youtube I go

#4218 5 months ago

time too watch a disaster unfold for someone else, for a change . this is the corporate game of thrones for us nerds, and more interesting than anything disney has put out in recent years ;o)

tommorow, should get the bookcase finished, as I got the switches done today. found a video on shrinktubing....will give it a test try first.

#4219 5 months ago

Your cabinet wiring is a total mess.

It just going to lead to problems down the road.

Look here to get it right:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/273#post-7858246

#4220 5 months ago

last thing for today and off tomorrow. still need at least 7 more of those cable wraps.

better?
also moved down the coin door board.

IMG_0045 (resized).jpgIMG_0045 (resized).jpg
#4221 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

last thing for today and off tomorrow. still need at least 7 more of those cable wraps.
better?
also moved down the coin door board.[quoted image]

I dont think you understand that the cabling in the rear of the cabinet has to be close to the floor so that the playfield can pass over it.

Excess cabling rests on the floor of the cabinet in a pile near the rear wall of the cabinet, its unsecured. This is so that you can fold down the head and not rip the wires out.

Where you have the cabling on BOTH sides, the playfield wont fit n.

The little wooden blocks on the sides of the cabinet walls towards the rear are the stops that the lifted playfield will rest on.
Generally the cabling goes close to the floor, to be safe.

Going past and "at" the wooden blocks the cabling has to lay in the corner between the wall and floor, or right on the floor with a cable clamp screwed into the wall.

This is true for both sides.

PLEASE refer the the pictures in the link I gave you.

#4222 5 months ago

pinballinreno is very correct !

back left cabinet wires are way to high ! The tiltbob wiring scares me a little , the harness to the front should be must neater , however credit where credit is due !
would definitely becareful putting the playfield in with the wires so high though !

Pinside_forum_7859790_0.jpgPinside_forum_7859790_0.jpg
#4223 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

better?
also moved down the coin door board.[quoted image]

The slam switch goes way over to the left, maybe 4" or more.

The wires going across the cabinet stiffener go behind the stiffener..

Where you have the slam switch, is in the way of the coin box.

Again PLEASE look at the pictures from Chris, in the link I posted.

You are going to get a coin box at some point.
Its where you stash spare parts for your game.

#4224 5 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

pinballinreno is very correct !
back left cabinet wires are way to high ! The tiltbob wiring scares me a little , the harness to the front should be must neater , however credit where credit is due !
would definitely becareful putting the playfield in with the wires so high though ! [quoted image]

I DID look at the pictures in the thread, and even had them saved. but I only have so many wire cables to use at the moment, so tried to follow where I could and used all I had left.
forgot about the wires too the left. will fix those now, and order some more cable organizers. as well as those in the middle. a bit of swearing trying to get those screws stable enough to drill in.

I've also asked about 2 times what size wire snap ons are needed for the tilt bob, and I will fix that. lots of replies, so understand stuff gets glossed over.
Next week I'm finishing the book case and motors. then taking a 4 week break till december.
do not want to make any mistakes with the new harness.

#4225 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

hep did not have the little bar there

Chris is using the same cabinet you are.

Quoted from Shredder565:

I've also asked about 2 times what size wire snap ons are needed for the tilt bob,

Im not certain what a snap on is.

However if you are talking about the spade connectors, measure the tabs and get one that fits.

#4226 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I DID look at the pictures in the thread, and even had them saved. but I only have so many wire cables to use at the moment, so tried to follow where I could and used all I had left.
forgot about the wires too the left. will fix those now, and order some more cable organizers. as well as those in the middle. a bit of swearing trying to get those screws stable enough to drill in.
I've also asked about 2 times what size wire snap ons are needed for the tilt bob, and I will fix that. lots of replies, so understand stuff gets glossed over.
Next week I'm finishing the book case and motors. then taking a 4 week break till december.
do not want to make any mistakes with the new harness.

Hey 565
Is this what you are looking for?
https://wirebot.xyz/products/0-25-quick-disconnect-crimp-connector-female

Wirebot is an excellent place to get all of your wiring needs.

Wally

#4227 5 months ago

I just completed a restore on my earthshaker..
Back left I believe is going to be a issue playfield in your wiring is way to high , note how playfield sits in cabinet .

IMG_20231109_150605.jpgIMG_20231109_150605.jpg
#4228 5 months ago

startin' to get flustered, since I know I can't get it right now....so time to stop for the day.

I moved the knocker down lower so it's just above the power supply. I lowered the power cord cable.

I lowered the Tilt Bob and coin door and moved both closer to the front, as in the photo. front left still needs taken care of as is the back.
that's it for today.

CpWz_030 (resized).jpgCpWz_030 (resized).jpg
#4229 5 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I just completed a restore on my earthshaker..
Back left I believe is going to be a issue playfield in your wiring is way to high , note how playfield sits in cabinet .
[quoted image]

does the new placement look better? it's not as neatly placed as a hep...though.

#4230 5 months ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey 565
Wally

thank you. I have mouser and digi key bookmarked, so will add wirebot to the list.
ordered now.

Chris is using the same cabinet you are.

Im not certain what a snap on is.
However if you are talking about the spade connectors, measure the tabs and get one that fits.

yes, I just went back to look, and it is indeed there. moving to many items around :/..

#4231 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

does the new placement look better? it's not as neatly placed as a hep...though.

It will work.

#4232 5 months ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey 565
Wally

just ordered some crimps, bigger heat shrink tubes for the gi light connections, and some loop organizers.

will try to get it looking as neat as possible.

#4233 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

anyone comparing themselves to HEP is a stretch, but with the lower wiring you should be able to get the playfield in !

frustrating but fun hobby , almost there !

#4234 5 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

anyone comparing themselves to HEP is a stretch, but with the lower wiring you should be able to get the playfield in !
frustrating but fun hobby , almost there !

i'm trying. gets frustrating being so close :/.

monday, bookcase. Tuesday, mpu back in order hoping for no short.Wensday, finish cabinet wire organization. Thursday....harness arrives. Friday, 3 week break

#4235 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

i'm trying. gets frustrating being so close :/.
monday, bookcase. Tuesday, mpu back in order hoping for no short.Wensday, finish cabinet wire organization. Thursday....harness arrives. Friday, 3 week break

I would not hook up your new MPU until you're sure you don't have an issue with solenoid voltage hitting the switch matrix somehow.

From what you've written here it doesn't seem like you've confirmed whether your short is in the wiring or actually something wrong with your current MPU? Until you figure out where the short is you risk having it blow something on the new MPU.

#4236 5 months ago

I will do the voltage test first before turning it on.

#4237 5 months ago

Every time I open this thread I literally hold my breath.

#4238 5 months ago

Just curious, what's the current tally for this build?

#4239 5 months ago

has to be closer too ten or 11 now, with a few of the set back rebuys.

HOPING that is the last of it and that I have everything I need to complete the top when this last phase is done.

Bookcase gets done monday. thing motor gets done monday. Flashers are finished. lights are finished. switches will get redone in a few weeks after the break. Cabinet wiring, minus the plumb bob switch diode, is done. cabinet wiring organization is in progress. Toppers are done.

it needs a healthy readout on the mpu... switches being complete. the bear kick ramp too be done. a few plastics left to put together. two lights by the bookcase, two lights by the bear kick. three (?) switches on the metal ramp, and bear kick. that's really all that's left that needs to be done...

#4240 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I will do the voltage test first before turning it on.

How are you going to test voltage without turning it on? C'mon Bud lol.

There is actually a procedure for a safe 1st time power up. It works for WPC games but not Gottlieb system 3 (just dont try it on Gottlieb sys 3, ask me how I know this...hint, it blows a lot of fuses.).

Solder ALL of your playfield connections so they are stable BEFORE any of this.

In general, unplug the ribbon cable and power cable jumpers from the MPU to the driver board, and have ALL switch cables disconnected from the MPU, then check all the power tests on the driver board. You wont have a display at this point

If it all checks out:

Connect the power cable and ribbon cable from the driver board, then boot the game up.

If the game boots up properly (with display) you can test voltages on the MPU if you want, but if the LED is blinking you should be OK on a NEW MPU board:

Turn off game, install a switch cable, reboot game. Test the switches on THAT cable, repair as needed. Turn off game.

Install another switch cable (leaving the first cable connected), boot game, test the switches on THAT cable, re-test the switches on the first cable, repair as needed, turn off game and so on, etc.

It seems redundant, but its a logical way to see whats going on.

There arent that many switches so it only takes a few minutes to do this.

Solder ALL of your connections so they are stable BEFORE any of this.

STOP TWISTING CRAP TOGETHER ! ! ! ! !

Your twisting method will only lead to destruction. Loose wires will defeat the diodes and cause arcing, blow up chips on the MPU etc.

#4241 5 months ago

Listen to this man ^

#4242 5 months ago

another reason for a break. starting too mix things up and forget.....need a fresh start after next week

and yes, I mentioned a page or two back that i will do it one switch at a time. will not speed through

#4243 5 months ago

Shredder565 - I know it can at times feel like people are crapping on your work, but please know that they 100% have your best interest at heart and are only trying to help insure that you do not make costly mistakes.

You should know that (IMHO) everyone here following this thread is impressed by your ambition and resolve on doing this scratch build. I've been following this for a couple of years now and have nothing but the utmost respect for what you're doing. Take all the downtime you need. The amazing pinsiders here helping you out will be here when your ready to jump back in and get it across the finish line. Kudos to you for even attempting this. Pretty sure I would have giving up a year or two ago - haha! You're getting really close and I can't wait to see it boot up properly for you.

#4244 5 months ago

yep, I know. I'm just getting tired of the set backs, un expected or otherwise. so close too calling it a wrap gets frustrating.

#4245 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

yep, I know. I'm just getting tired of the set backs, un expected or otherwise. so close too calling it a wrap gets frustrating.

Set backs come with all things pinball ! Even NIB !
Take a breath, take a break your almost there!
I don't think you realize what a challenge you have put on yourself doing this build , not for the faint of heart!
Know that many experienced pinhead would not have attempted this build .
So something to be proud of !

#4246 5 months ago

well, you can stop holding your breath. LONG break time coming.. we'll see if I pick this thing up in december, because right now i'm tempted to throw everything out.

CAREFULLY put the new board in and the new chips. double and tripple checked. everything was in and organized properly.. mpu board did not power on. top light stayed on, bottom light stayed on. this was the old board. took it out, did the same with the new board. all of a sudden, ALL five jets turned on once, and it made a noise. that was it for that. ALL power Driver board lights stay on now, all mpu board lights stay off... and I think i'm officially crying now.

At this rate, I'll just complete the playfield and fuck the electronics. I can at least pretend it works :/. Maybe I'll just enjoy my new ATGames digital version coming in january. wallet can not afford any more fixes for this year.

at the very least, if I pick it up again, I'll need a pro too come out here and check it over for anything wrong BEFORE it's turned on. think i've reached the limit where I can do it myself.

#4247 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

we'll see if I pick this thing up in december, because right now i'm tempted to throw everything out.

Nah, you'll get there! I'm sure you can find some help in your neck of the woods. Lots of pinball up there. And you have a ton of support here. The people here can be nasty purists at times but they mean well. We are all cheering you on.

#4248 5 months ago

maybe tnt amusements makes house calls. following their videos and they are in pa.

#4249 5 months ago

was about to disconnect everything and see if there was a new problem for chris to look at.

but, I noticed a blown fuse on the power driver board. replaced that. now, back to where we where at first. the top light on the old mpu stays on, bottom light on the old mpu stays on. middle light blinks. dmd works, but stays at the boot static screen.

maybe it's not as bad as it looks....but my stress levels are still up, and it will need a pro to look it over for the home stretch.

at this point, all I want to do is get the playfield finished and save the electronics nonsense for next year.

#4250 5 months ago

Don’t give up, but please do follow the advice you’ve been given. Find the short / fault before plugging any more boards in. You are going to keep blowing boards / chips etc until you find it.

The last few boards / repairs you’ve had to buy could likely have been avoided. Known good boards have been put in your game only to fail straight away, this will keep happening until you find the fault. I’ve had one MPU fault in 20 years of collecting, the likelihood of all these ones failing in transit or by bad luck is pretty low.

I think a house call might be the way forward for now to get you back on track, or maybe you can convince a Pinsider to come and stay for a day or two and help redo your connectors and soldering to at least discount wiring issues.
I’d offer but I don’t think you’d want to cover the return flights from England!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,059.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jamestown, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build/page/85?hl=ryanbrooks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.